2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

G-MEN UNITE

ShortSticks

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/11/2023 at 2:47 PM, erock9174 said:

Wrapped up my season Friday and shot a +4 76.  Minus a double bogey on a par 5, I would have had a top 5 rd.  darn pulled tee shot.

After the round I was on WRX and saw this thread and thought to myself...I certainly have a decent amount of Ping in my bag going on these days.

G430 Max driver, G425 SFT 5w, G430 SFT 7w, G425 6-UW, Glide 4.0 SW and a Ping Anser 2D putter.

IMG_9410.jpeg.6e6da6719e761315470036211666de59.jpegIMG_9412.jpeg.7ebccef15cb8ad5d71fbbc2e68771d61.jpegIMG_9411.jpeg.bc84218665c80884cd5982b20971c02d.jpeg

Good way to end it.  I play that same chipper, it is my secret weapon for most shots inside 80 yards.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/25/2023 at 6:19 AM, ran098gr2 said:

Just replaced my G425's with some ISI Nickel's 3-PW2.

They are a club shorter but look sweet in the bag.

Only gaming the 6-PW2, but so far they go high and straight. 

Still figuring out the distances. 

Happy 2024 ! 

I just replaced my G425's (at least temporarily) with some Eye2+ 3-W. Same here - will likely just play the 5-W but they do look sweet as hell!

The Navy Vessel IV Pro bag:

Ping G425 Max Driver Alta CB Slate Sr

Ping G425 Max 5w / 7w Alta CB Slate R

Ping G425 4h / 5h Alta CB Slate R

Ping G425 5-UW Alta CB Slate R

Ping Glide 3.0 54° WS / 58° Eye2 Z-115

Seemore PCB 33"

Back-up Hoofer bag:

Ping Eye2+ 3-9 Aldila Low Torque Graphite, PW-SW KT Steel

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Nessism said:

After a brief detour with some Mizuno Hot Metals, the G30's went back in the bag today, and my iron game greatly improved.  There is just something about the G's that just-plain-works.

The HM's are noticeably longer, on the occasions where I hit them well, so I took a trip to eBay, and found a set of G425's and bought them.  I was surprised to see lots of great deals on the 425's.  I got these for $521 + tax (of course) + $20 shipping, for a basically new set.  Not bad.  I'm counting on a little spring face action to help with distance.  Something that's starting to leave me these days.  I know they won't have that nice solid feel of the G30's, but I guess you can't have everything.  I had a set before and liked them, but now I NEED them.  The lofts are traditional G too, unlike the 430's.  

I went from g25 to g410 and don’t regret it Ness. Feel fine to me and get the same great dispersion whilst hitting one club less. Not sure I’d try the g430 though as the lofts seem to have gone to Taylormade levels of silliness. A 41 degree PW is definitely not a PW.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Titleist TSR2 10 set at 11 Hzrdus Red CB
Titleist TSI2 16.5 Tensei Blue

Taylormade Rescue Dual TP 19 S300
Taylormade Rescue Dual 22 Stiff
Taylormade 2023 p790 5-PW kbs tour lite
Vokey SM9 50°/12° SM8 56°/14° and SM9 60°/10°
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport two
Taylormade TP5x

[i]Remember there are no pictures on a scorecard, only a number. [/i]

8 hours ago, philly2kuk said:

I went from g25 to g410 and don’t regret it Ness. Feel fine to me and get the same great dispersion whilst hitting one club less. Not sure I’d try the g430 though as the lofts seem to have gone to Taylormade levels of silliness. A 41 degree PW is definitely not a PW.

Yeah, 41 degrees is an 8 iron to me!  It took me a goodly long time to get used to the "G lofts", and I don't want to hurt my brain any further trying to adjust to sets with two gap wedges.  

When I had the 425's previously, I wasn't thrilled with the sound.  I guess it's a compromise; spring face with clacky sound, vs, solid and short. 🙃

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

6 hours ago, Nessism said:

Yeah, 41 degrees is an 8 iron to me!  It took me a goodly long time to get used to the "G lofts", and I don't want to hurt my brain any further trying to adjust to sets with two gap wedges.  

When I had the 425's previously, I wasn't thrilled with the sound.  I guess it's a compromise; spring face with clacky sound, vs, solid and short. 🙃

This is a serious question…what does what’s stamped on the bottom matter? If you just go by the actual loft of the club you should be pretty close to the same distances. Most people are going to carry roughly 9-10 irons and wedges who cares what the bottom says as long as you know how far you hit each one. My current lowest iron says 4 with 21* of loft last set said 3 with 21* of loft and both are/were my 205 club. Now it looks as if that stamp might now say 5 and if it’s 21* of loft it’s still likely my 205 club. Seems like that would be the case for most people. 

• Thanks 1

Ping G425 12* set at the little - with a tour 2.0 65 stiff shaft

Callaway Steelhead III 18* 5W

Callaway Big Bertha Warbird 21* 7W

Ping G30 4-W, U, and S irons 

Ping Tour 60* wedge

Ping Karsten Craz-E putter

6 hours ago, Nessism said:

Looking forward to your impressions of the G425's round 2, Ness. I played the 425's this last year and the one thing I did adjust to was the sound, very clicky. I came from the 2016 G's, and those felt / sounded so solid in comparison. And I know the biggest criticism against those was the sound compared to the 25/30. You are right, it is a compromise.

I have also been very tempted by the Mizuno 923 HM's. What did you not like about those vs the G's? I have a feeling the honeymoon would be short and back to the G's as well.....

18 minutes ago, bifftaco said:

Looking forward to your impressions of the G425's round 2, Ness. I played the 425's this last year and the one thing I did adjust to was the sound, very clicky. I came from the 2016 G's, and those felt / sounded so solid in comparison. And I know the biggest criticism against those was the sound compared to the 25/30. You are right, it is a compromise.

I have also been very tempted by the Mizuno 923 HM's. What did you not like about those vs the G's? I have a feeling the honeymoon would be short and back to the G's as well.....

I have (but selling) 921 HM's.  These have lofts similar to the 425 G's, compared to the 923, which are like the G430.  Anyway, they are smaller than the G's, and lower bounce.  It was the bounce that caused me grief.  I'm a digger.  I will say, though, that the HM's have a much superior finish over the G's.  They also sound much better than the 425's.  The chrome is awesome, and very durable.  

Edited by Nessism

On 1/15/2024 at 2:25 PM, MikeW2 said:

This is a serious question…what does what’s stamped on the bottom matter? If you just go by the actual loft of the club you should be pretty close to the same distances. Most people are going to carry roughly 9-10 irons and wedges who cares what the bottom says as long as you know how far you hit each one. My current lowest iron says 4 with 21* of loft last set said 3 with 21* of loft and both are/were my 205 club. Now it looks as if that stamp might now say 5 and if it’s 21* of loft it’s still likely my 205 club. Seems like that would be the case for most people. 

It matters to me because I don't want to learn new lofts.  Also, the older sets had a wider loft spread.  Lastly, I'm already carrying four wedges.  Carrying five is sheer madness, IMO.  

Edited by Nessism
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Nessism said:

I have (but selling) 921 HM's.  These have lofts similar to the 425 G's, compared to the 923, which are like the G430.  Anyway, they are smaller than the G's, and lower bounce.  It was the bounce that caused me grief.  I'm a digger.  I will say, though, that the HM's have a much superior finish over the G's.  The chrome is awesome, and very durable.  

Gotcha, thanks. 923 HM's look right between 425 and 430, but without the extra wedge squeezed in. And there is still a shaft length progression that matches the lofts. Unlike the 430's- 3 wedges @ the same length with only a loft change? Single length wedges just feels odd. Throw in the SW and you have 13 degrees of loft with a .25" shaft length difference. No thanks.

Looking forward to how you like the 425's the second time around.

1 hour ago, Nessism said:

I matters to me because I don't want to learn new lofts.  Also, the older sets had a wider loft spread.  Lastly, I'm already carrying four wedges.  Carrying five is sheer madness, IMO.  

I get that, I guess I don’t look at it like I’m carrying 5 wedges rather 5 clubs for 5 yardages.

Ping G425 12* set at the little - with a tour 2.0 65 stiff shaft

Callaway Steelhead III 18* 5W

Callaway Big Bertha Warbird 21* 7W

Ping G30 4-W, U, and S irons 

Ping Tour 60* wedge

Ping Karsten Craz-E putter

Wedge loft creep equals less irons per set up til hybrids, at higher costs per set with additional wedge sales to bridge bottom gaps. Money, more money, and still more money on top of that. 

Edited by A.Princey
  • Like 2

TM 2016 M2 12*(-2 setting) - OG Grafalloy Blue X, 43.5"

TEE XCG7 16.5* 4w, OG Grafalloy Blue S, 41.75"

Wilson D9 18* 4i, KBS Max-R, 39.5”

Cobra King OS 4-G, TT XP95 R300, -.5
Mack Daddy CB 56.14(2* weak)  60.12(3*  weak)

Edel Brick

I’m playing with the set up this winter. So far, this set up is winning my SIM time. Could be the spring WITB. Who needs the I series anyways? S and G. 
Irons shafted with ZZ65. G25 S58 combo. Red Dot. 1/2” short. GP CP2 wrap grips. 
G430 Max driver set to Flat / 9.5 / weight in the toe with extra tape. Alta55S. 44.75 playing length. 
G425 Max 5w turned down to 16.5/Flat. Extra tape in the toe. 

IMG_0258.jpeg

IMG_0557.jpeg

• Like 4

TM Brnr Mini Driver 13.5(12)

TM RBZ Stage2 3Hy 

TM RBX Stage2 4Hy

Ping G410 5-U

Ping Glide 3.0 SS 52/56

Ping Sigma G Craz-e. 

7 hours ago, PARETO said:

I’m playing with the set up this winter. So far, this set up is winning my SIM time. Could be the spring WITB. Who needs the I series anyways? S and G. 
Irons shafted with ZZ65. G25 S58 combo. Red Dot. 1/2” short. GP CP2 wrap grips. 
G430 Max driver set to Flat / 9.5 / weight in the toe with extra tape. Alta55S. 44.75 playing length. 
G425 Max 5w turned down to 16.5/Flat. Extra tape in the toe. 

IMG_0258.jpeg

IMG_0557.jpeg

Did you bend the 7 and/or 8 to close the loft gap?

PING i20 10.5*

Adams a7 19*, 22*

Maltby TS3 Forged 5-9

Vokey SM7 46F, 52F, 58M

PING BeCu Anser

Srixon QST

On 1/15/2024 at 10:40 PM, Nessism said:

I have (but selling) 921 HM's.  These have lofts similar to the 425 G's, compared to the 923, which are like the G430.  Anyway, they are smaller than the G's, and lower bounce.  It was the bounce that caused me grief.  I'm a digger.  I will say, though, that the HM's have a much superior finish over the G's.  They also sound much better than the 425's.  The chrome is awesome, and very durable.  

This is my issue, I’m a digger but didn’t realise this when younger. So I bought some mp32 (new) and at the time I was living in St Andrews. Amazing irons up there, never had an issues. When I came back to play my hometown course with my dad I was chopping up the turf, couldn’t understand why. Now I’m older I understand I’m a digger and mizunos don’t work for me at my hometown course, which is where I now play weekly. Shame as I’d love to game them again.

Taylormade TP5x

2 hours ago, Nessism said:

The 425's came in today, and they are truly like new...other than the grips, and some ball marks on the face.  Someone removed the original grips, which have Arctos sensors, and installed Lamkin Crosslines, which I like. 

Since Ping prohibits retailers from discounting, some sellers hit some balls, with new sets, making sure to leave behind ball marks on the faces, then they get sold as "used" clubs.  This set is clearly this way.  There aren't even any brush marks on the sole.  

Interested how you like the G425s coming from the G30s.  I still play the G25s, but have been looking to get some newer irons at some point.  The newer G series is on the short list.

Driver: Cobra Aerojet
5W: Ping G430
3H & 4H: Ping G410
5H:  Ping G
6 - GW: Ping G25

54*: Ping Glide 4.0
58*: Cleveland RTX Zipcore Full Bounce
Putter: Odyssey Tri Hot Double Wide CH Putter

Grips:  Golf Pride MCC Plus 4

Ball:  Titleist ProV1, Maxfli Tour, Taylormade TP5, PXG

2 hours ago, DE-ILLINI said:

Interested how you like the G425s coming from the G30s.  I still play the G25s, but have been looking to get some newer irons at some point.  The newer G series is on the short list.

I spent 6 years with the g25 and moved to the g410 after trying all the clubs in between and not seeing any improvement. I’ve never looked back and love my g410 after four years together. I even find the 4 iron easy to launch.

If I was to change it would be to I series or a combo set, not another G series.

• Like 1

Taylormade TP5x

Howdy. 2Down suggested I come on over to visit the G-Men.  

I've been playing the Mizuno MX-23 irons for probably two years. I just bought a full set of G30's in pristine condition (D, 3, 5, Hyb) 5-U irons and a Ping bag for $250 from someone I know. They are legit. I thought I could make some money on them, which I could...BUT...then I hit them.  Sahweet.  Now I'm in a whirlwind of confusion as to whether to keep the G-30s or sell.  On my launch monitor, they test about the same. Gs a little longer do do 1-2 degrees stronger lofts.  So I'm continuing to test them out.  Verdict might not come until I can actually hit the course. Cold as hell right now in VA.

The other fly in the ointment is that before the MX irons, I played the Eye 2+ and original v-groove Eye 2s.  The E2+ irons, loft to loft, test equally well against virtually any other iron I tested them against.  And when you hit them pure, it's margarine, if not butter.  I sold them when I bought the MXs.  As others have said, "Big mistake."

Soooo, I could sell everything and buy a set of E2+, stick with the G30, or run with the MXs.  I'm 74, so I'm not looking to make the Korn Ferry Tour, I just want to be happy with the game I've got.  More down the road...

"I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member."
- Groucho Marx

WIMB
PING G400 Driver 10.5*

TaylorMade Burner 3-wood and 5-wood REAX reg graphite

Mizuno MX-23 forged 5-PW, Mizuno forged SW, GW, LW

Putter:  Odyssey White Hot Rossie 36" --  Ball: TP5 X

Put the new 425's in the bending machine, and tweaked them to spec.  They were pretty close, but a few clubs were off a degree or so.  All good now.  

Watched a number of YouTube reviews of these clubs, some comparing them to the 430's.  By most accounts, the 430's are nicer. Better sound and feel.  I'm bummed about Ping's new direction with the lofts, though.  I just won't do a 41 degree PW.  NO, no, no!  The 425's may be the end of the road for Gmen like me.  It's a sad development.  We always have older models, though. 

My friend with the G2's, wants to reshaft them from R to S.  He hits the crap out of them, but it's gotten into his head that he needs S shafts.  I recommended some Nippon Modus 115's, and he bought them.  Another project coming soon.  

• Like 2

You ever find yourself playing your best with a club you don't like even looking at?  Happened to me. Hence, the Rossie putter in my sig. Played the original Zing then Zing 2 until suddenly I lost my feel. Tried all sorts of putters, new and old, and started draining them with the Rossie. Bottom line--if the ball goes down, it's all good.  Been good for a year now.  

"I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member."
- Groucho Marx

WIMB
PING G400 Driver 10.5*

TaylorMade Burner 3-wood and 5-wood REAX reg graphite

Mizuno MX-23 forged 5-PW, Mizuno forged SW, GW, LW

Putter:  Odyssey White Hot Rossie 36" --  Ball: TP5 X