2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

G-MEN UNITE

ShortSticks

Does anyone actually like the G425 / G430s more than the G410s?  The MOI on the G410s is higher and (I think) they look better.  The G25s were probably the best set prior to that (noticeable jump in the G410s MOI).

I'm not in the market, and similar to one post above have moved on, but I'm curious...

1 hour ago, Titleist_PT23 said:

Does anyone actually like the G425 / G430s more than the G410s?  The MOI on the G410s is higher and (I think) they look better.  The G25s were probably the best set prior to that (noticeable jump in the G410s MOI).

I'm not in the market, and similar to one post above have moved on, but I'm curious...

I've owned the G410 woods and hybrids and now have the G430's. The answer is yes. The 430 woods and hybrids (to me) are a vast improvement over the 410's in sound, feel, and profile at address. I can't say they are longer or anything like that but I like them enough that the 430's kicked all the Callaway Paradym woods and hybrids out of my bag.

• Like 1

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

2 hours ago, Titleist_PT23 said:

I went from g25 to g410 as I saw zero difference on the models in between. I’ve tried g425 since and found very little to my g410. Haven’t tried g430, but the lofts are getting daft now so not sure I’d try them.

• Like 1

Titleist TSR2 10 set at 11 Hzrdus Red CB
Titleist TSI2 16.5 Tensei Blue

Taylormade Rescue Dual TP 19 S300
Taylormade Rescue Dual 22 Stiff
Taylormade 2023 p790 5-PW kbs tour lite
Vokey SM9 50°/12° SM8 56°/14° and SM9 60°/10°
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport two
Taylormade TP5x

[i]Remember there are no pictures on a scorecard, only a number. [/i]

8 hours ago, braincramp52 said:

I've owned the G410 woods and hybrids and now have the G430's. The answer is yes. The 430 woods and hybrids (to me) are a vast improvement over the 410's in sound, feel, and profile at address. I can't say they are longer or anything like that but I like them enough that the 430's kicked all the Callaway Paradym woods and hybrids out of my bag.

I was talking the irons, but more info/reviews are always helpful.

I haven't followed the PING drivers/woods/fairways much since the G400 MAX.

On 2/19/2023 at 11:38 AM, bifftaco said:

Looking forward to any updates you may have, especially after a few rounds and the honeymoon period wears off.

I have been playing the G's since they came out as well. Looking for a change this year, and the ZX4 mkII's check all the boxes. Like you said, G's have been so good that it may be a vanity change more than a performance one.  Not that there is anything wrong with that.

I also have the G irons, (bought at Dick's during a 2015 Thanksgiving sale;  the last time I've ever seen Ping's on sale), shafted with Recoils.  I recently picked up a clean used set of G700's and Glide 2.0 ES wedges in AWT steel soft R.  I haven't hit them yet, but even though they are not the "players" lofts I fear I may hit the long irons a bit low (I'll be 70 in May). My driver is K15 12 degree with Aldila Xtorsion Copper, which has stayed in the bag.  

• Like 1

Adams Speedline 9088UL 10.5* AXIVCore 69 Black (S) Ping G SF Tec 3W, 5W Alta 65 (R) Ping G 4H,5H Alta 70 (R) Ping G 6-U TT XP 95 (soft R) Ping Glide 54*, 58* WS TT XP 100 (R) Ping Darby Sigma G

8 hours ago, philly2kuk said:

I went from g25 to g410 as I saw zero difference on the models in between. I’ve tried g425 since and found very little to my g410. Haven’t tried g430, but the lofts are getting daft now so not sure I’d try them.

Thanks.  I don't mind the lofts (I think the old school loft police and the can't have more than one GW crew are equally silly).  There may be some merit to people playing fairways-hybrids-and a one-length 35.5 inch iron set.  Just take all the numbers off the G435s (or whatever the next name is) and stamp the lofts on the clubs like the 45.5 and above.

• Like 1

I have the G30’s.  I have tried the G425 and 430’s and the feel for them are awful.  The 425’s are some of the worst feeling irons I have ever hit and the 430’s only slightly better than those.  I didn’t see anything better in terms of ball striking and consistency either.  Loft for loft the G30’s are good on distance too.  I can’t say the new irons go further and if they do it’s only by a yard or two.  

• Like 2

I'm trying a Frankenstein 5/4 iron because I'm not happy with the 9 wood in my 4 iron slot (I play near the ocean and it's windy), and I'm wondering if anyone else has tried this.

I'm happy with my G425 retro spec 5 iron, but I didn't care for the 4 iron. I don't think I like swinging irons with a shaft longer than the std 5 iron shaft.

So I have ordered a G430 5 iron at the standard loft of 22 degrees and a 90g shaft (Dart 90) instead of my usual 112g shaft (Modus 105X).

My theory is that the lighter shaft will give me more swing speed and that combined with the lower loft and hotter face tech of the G430 should provide the distance separation. Hopefully the 5i length shaft in my "4" iron helps with control.

Edited by GolfTurkey
  • Like 2

On 11/14/2023 at 3:12 AM, GolfTurkey said:

I'm trying a Frankenstein 5/4 iron because I'm not happy with the 9 wood in my 4 iron slot (I play near the ocean and it's windy), and I'm wondering if anyone else has tried this.

I'm happy with my G425 retro spec 5 iron, but I didn't care for the 4 iron. I don't think I like swinging irons with a shaft longer than the std 5 iron shaft.

So I have ordered a G430 5 iron at the standard loft of 22 degrees and a 90g shaft (Dart 90) instead of my usual 112g shaft (Modus 105X).

My theory is that the lighter shaft will give me more swing speed and that combined with the lower loft and hotter face tech of the G430 should provide the distance separation. Hopefully the 5i length shaft in my "4" iron helps with control.

Similar but different...I have a 22 degree Ping Crossover, and it's a rocket launcher.  It sounds very "tinkey", but that's just reference for when you catch the ball in the center of the face, and when you do, it goes miles.  

• Like 1

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

I've been using my extra Glide 4.0 wedges (46 and 51) for a couple weeks. I'm comfortable with them now but initially I was thrown by how neutral flighted they are compared to the G425s. 

The first week was a bunch of wipey fades until I finally realised I could release it fully without swinging way left or holding it off, and the ball won't turn over. 

I'm still fighting the same issue with the i230s, it's like my brain has to see its quota of weak fades before relaxing.

• Like 1

I picked up a set of Ping G's, 4 to UW, last week to build a set when I go overseas. I tried them yesterday in the sim and I know the Ping irons are so easy to use as my brother has a set of G30 irons. I was blown away at how good the G's are from 4 iron to the UW. Plus, they look way better than the G30. They have the stiff AWT shafts and they did not feel harsh at all. 

I am pretty sure I hit quite a few mishit shots last night but the ball found the green still. The solid hits felt so nice and just went straight. The distance is there and the ball flight of these irons is just insanely high. I was totally impressed. 

This may sound stupid but my Srixon 585 irons are now in danger of being the backup set. lol 

Edited by msg
  • Like 4

20 hours ago, JurassicJohn said:

I'd like to formally introduce myself as the newest member of the club. 

Oh - and I shot over 300 yards for the first time in my life (in bounds) at the range this evening. Game on! I'm hooked.

20231124_224536.jpg

2 hours ago, msg said:

I picked up a set of Ping G's, 4 to UW, last week to build a set when I go overseas. I tried them yesterday in the sim and I know the Ping irons are so easy to use as my brother has a set of G30 irons. I was blown away at how good the G's are from 4 iron to the UW. Plus, they look way better than the G30. They have the stiff AWT shafts and they did not feel harsh at all. 

I am pretty sure I hit quite a few mishit shots last night but the ball found the green still. The solid hits felt so nice and just went straight. The distance is there and the ball flight of these irons is just insanely high. I was totally impressed. 

This may sound stupid but my Srixon 585 irons are now in danger of being the backup set. lol 

I wish the G425's felt / sounded as good as they look. Best of the modern G's, imo. I think the black / silver / grey look amazing.  The black shadow of the cavity is a nice accent.

@msg, agreed the G's are great, played them from release until this year. The only thing my 425's have over them is looks, both aesthetic and at address- a little sleeker and compact. No performance advantage that I can detect and the G's don't feel as harsh.The AWT's are great as well, not much different than the Nippon 105S I have in the 425's, but I start at the 7 iron, so the weight difference is minimal. Those Nippon shafts are smooth.

Glad I hung on to the G's. I could have stuck with those and been no worse off. After 6 years I was just ready for a new G look.

17 minutes ago, bifftaco said:

I wish the G425's felt / sounded as good as they look. Best of the modern G's, imo. I think the black / silver / grey look amazing.  The black shadow of the cavity is a nice accent.

@msg, agreed the G's are great, played them from release until this year. The only thing my 425's have over them is looks, both aesthetic and at address- a little sleeker and compact. No performance advantage that I can detect and the G's don't feel as harsh.The AWT's are great as well, not much different than the Nippon 105S I have in the 425's, but I start at the 7 iron, so the weight difference is minimal. Those Nippon shafts are smooth.

Glad I hung on to the G's. I could have stuck with those and been no worse off. After 6 years I was just ready for a new G look.

I have Nippon shafts on my Srixons. No wonder they felt the same. I tested some stiff True Temper shafts and I can feel how stiff they were. I have had some elbow issues lately so I have been really sensitive. 

The newer Ping G 4xxx irons are definitely sleeker for sure when I checked them in-store. However, I have not tested them since I was really ok with my Srixons for a few seasons now. I almost bought the 425 last year but heard about the feel and did not proceed. IMO, the 425 looks better than the 430. 

My irons are the best part of my game. If I game these G irons next summer, based on what I saw on the sim so far...it could be an amazing season when it comes to increasing my GIR even more. They are just so easy to use it was like cheating. 

I'm planning on building an all-Ping G bag for next season, now that the Ping G irons have really stirred my curiosity. lol I loved the Ping G driver back then when I owned it and it won't be too bad to play around with it again. 

Edited by msg
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, msg said:

I have Nippon shafts on my Srixons. No wonder they felt the same. I tested some stiff True Temper shafts and I can feel how stiff they were. I have had some elbow issues lately so I have been really sensitive. 

The newer Ping G 4xxx irons are definitely sleeker for sure when I checked them in-store. However, I have not tested them since I was really ok with my Srixons for a few seasons now. I almost bought the 425 last year but heard about the feel and did not proceed. IMO, the 425 looks better than the 430. 

My irons are the best part of my game. If I game these G irons next summer, based on what I saw on the sim so far...it could be an amazing season when it comes to increasing my GIR even more. They are just so easy to use it was like cheating. 

I'm planning on building an all-Ping G bag for next season, now that the Ping G irons have really stirred my curiosity. lol I loved the Ping G driver back then when I owned it and it won't be too bad to play around with it again. 

Great, more confirmation bias that the move from G was a wash lol. 😄

Yes, the Nippon mad AWT 2.0's are great, especially in the mid/short irons. Have fun with the G experiment, they are somehow addictive. Which Srixon's do you have? I have been tempted by the ZX4 mkII's and the Mizzy 923 HM's, but have stayed true to the G's for the last 12 years or so....

6 minutes ago, bifftaco said:

Great, more confirmation bias that the move from G was a wash lol. 😄

Yes, the Nippon mad AWT 2.0's are great, especially in the mid/short irons. Have fun with the G experiment, they are somehow addictive. Which Srixon's do you have? I have been tempted by the ZX4 mkII's and the Mizzy 923 HM's, but have stayed true to the G's for the last 12 years or so....

I have the Srixon 585 irons from 4 to PW and I've had them for 2 seasons now. Absolutely love them and no complaints whatsoever. Very forgiving for their size. I almost moved to the ZX 5's because they just look way better. The plan was to keep the 585s until they got worn out. But the G irons seemed to have changed the course of my plans. lol 

The G irons I got were well taken care off too. They don't look like 7 year old irons. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Nessism said:

Rick did the G's a solid with this review...

I swear Rick hits the G series better than any other club he tries. He really should play them. (Says a poster that hits the G series better than anything else and doesn’t play them.  Maybe I should listen to my own advice!!  Ha ha!!!)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, BCULAW said:

I swear Rick hits the G series better than any other club he tries. He really should play them. (Says a poster that hits the G series better than anything else and doesn’t play them.  Maybe I should listen to my own advice!!  Ha ha!!!)

The G's were my favourite of all the Ping G's I tried. It was many but not all of them.

• Like 1

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

I will remain half a G-Man.😅  The G430 series of woods and hybrids are the best ever made by Ping in my opinion. I could easily play the 430 driver also. Unfortunately Ping has come up short in the G series irons the last number of years. I never thought I'd say this but PXG has that arena figured out. When I was testing irons late summer ,early fall to buy myself as a retirement gift, I hit the Gen 6 XP's and it was like a light came on. I had finally hit an iron with the performance of a Ping G with a feel second to none. When the day comes that Ping gets it together on sound and feel in the G series I'll have no problem going back to them as I'm still a huge Ping fan.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

10 hours ago, braincramp52 said:

I will remain half a G-Man.😅  The G430 series of woods and hybrids are the best ever made by Ping in my opinion. I could easily play the 430 driver also. Unfortunately Ping has come up short in the G series irons the last number of years. I never thought I'd say this but PXG has that arena figured out. When I was testing irons late summer ,early fall to buy myself as a retirement gift, I hit the Gen 6 XP's and it was like a light came on. I had finally hit an iron with the performance of a Ping G with a feel second to none. When the day comes that Ping gets it together on sound and feel in the G series I'll have no problem going back to them as I'm still a huge Ping fan.

Maybe see if the OP will edit title to PXG-men unite? 😁

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Ping G425 12* set at the little - with a tour 2.0 65 stiff shaft

Callaway Steelhead III 18* 5W

Callaway Big Bertha Warbird 21* 7W

Ping G30 4-W, U, and S irons 

Ping Tour 60* wedge

Ping Karsten Craz-E putter

12 hours ago, braincramp52 said:

I have to agree. 

Woods and hybrids second to none but PXG has outdone PING Gs with the XPs. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MikeW2 said:

Maybe see if the OP will edit title to PXG-men unite? 😁

🤢

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

On 11/25/2023 at 5:21 PM, Nessism said:

Rick did the G's a solid with this review...

I've watched this review more times than I should have. But never pulled the trigger because, at the time in 2016 - 2017, I wanted sexy irons that I could not hit properly 65% of the time. 

Last night I had the chance to hit the G irons in the sim for 18 holes plus another bonus 9 holes. I play the same course every time I want to test some equipment indoors because I know my tendencies and I know the holes like the back of my hand and it translates in real life what I see indoors. I know what I can and cannot do and I am at peace with that. I usually shoot anywhere from 85 to 75. 

Anyway, I played the first 18 with the G irons only, without any driver or woods. The first shot off the tee on hole 1 with the 4 iron was a solid 205-yard fade. My current Srixon 585 irons has a 4 iron but I never bother using it because it was way too hard for me. I noticed that the 4 iron is so easy to use. When I don't hit it quite solid, the drop-off is not that bad and it holds the line well instead of veering offline. 

This observation also happened to the rest of the clubs. The 5 iron to the mid irons are also easier to hit than my current irons and the dispersion is even tighter. I played a 6100 yard course with irons only and I shot a 5 over par 77. It was all because I was finding the fairway off the tee and hitting a ton of greens or ending up around the greens at about 20 - 15 yards from the flag if I miss one. The shots from 200 - 170 yards with the 4 to 6 irons were amazing. Either finding the greens or around the greens that enabled me to par or save par. 

The short irons were as expected, accurate and straight. No surprises there because if the 4 iron enabled me to reach long shots with ease, what more with shorter clubs? 

I played another 9 but this time with my driver. I shot -2 in 9 holes before I stopped. I have hit a 200 yard par 3, twice in regulation, using the 4 iron. It was just that easy to hit. I've had the chance to play G30 irons before indoors but because of my ego, I dismissed how great they were and how easier the game would have been for me. 

From a backup set, it seems like these older G irons will be my main irons for next season. I have just ordered a set of G driver and woods as well. LOL I did play G driver and woods in the past and this will be an interesting season to have a "retro" bag. 

I love Ping drivers and I have been playing them since the G30. I wish I had given the irons the chance if I could just go back in time. But hey, better late than never I guess. 

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, PARETO said:

I went to the shop today to pick up my ISI BeNi wedges which were getting gripped when what do I see on the used table, but a set of G25 4-U with CFS stiff...... you know what happened next. They are Blue dot so I'll need to get them back to black dot so I may box them up, send them to Ping to have them do their head refurb magic on them.....make 'em all new and purdy. 

Gotta love a suprise G day!

Very nice. If the price was right I would have done the same. I had G5's and 15's before the G, but not the 25 or 30. Always wanted to give those last generation no ferrule - no face thinning irons a test ride. The industrial look suits me.

4 hours ago, bifftaco said:

Very nice. If the price was right I would have done the same. I had G5's and 15's before the G, but not the 25 or 30. Always wanted to give those last generation no ferrule - no face thinning irons a test ride. The industrial look suits me.

Great point. Which head is the last generation before they went to the thin-faced designs?

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

5 minutes ago, dmeeksDC said:

Great point. Which head is the last generation before they went to the thin-faced designs?

G30. 

The G irons were the first to have a spring face design, but the concept kept evolving, with each new generation the faces getting thinner, for spring effect.  

• Like 1

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

6 hours ago, bifftaco said:

What shocked me the most was their feel. I spent a hot minute with G425 and sold them quick. They felt awful. These G25’s rival my BeNi ISI set for feels. And we all know that BeNi feel great. Based on todays SIM session, these gain 1 club over ISI, feel great (like legit great, not just G great), sound pure and spin as I need them to. A quick bend back to black, a trim of 1/2 inch and a regrip and I’ll happily SIM these this winter. I have the approval from my BeNi’s to try them out. I asked and the BeNi’s seemed cool to semi retire this winter. The wedges asked to stay in the bag though. 

IMG_0365.jpeg

Edited by PARETO
  • Like 4

TM Brnr Mini Driver 13.5(12)

TM RBZ Stage2 3Hy 

TM RBX Stage2 4Hy

Ping G410 5-U

Ping Glide 3.0 SS 52/56

Ping Sigma G Craz-e.