G-MEN UNITE

ShortSticks

I started out with ISI's and went to I3's in black dots but, I was informed I needed Red dot's so last summer I procured a set of the G30's I loved them but I need stiff flex. My shots were straight but just total balloons. I now moved into the i E1's in the correct lie. I can't join this club, but the G's sure were fun to hit.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Well my g410 uw is going in the nearest bin currently. It’s fine on full shots but I cannot get touch shots right for the life of me and the pw is too low a loft for chipping (for my game). Rest of the irons I love, particularly the 4 iron which I can hit repeatedly. 

I WANT new irons but I don’t NEED them.

Edited by philly2kuk

Titleist TSR2 10 set at 11 Hzrdus Red CB
Titleist TSI2 16.5 Tensei Blue

Ping G 17.5 set at 18.5 tour regular
Taylormade Rescue Dual 22 Stiff
Taylormade 2023 p790 5-PW kbs tour lite
Vokey SM9 50°/12° SM8 56°/14° and SM9 60°/10°
Taylormade MySpider Tour X plumber’s neck
Pro v1

[i]Remember there are no pictures on a scorecard, only a number. [/i]

Got the G series permanently in my bag now. Absolutely love them but for some reason I've started really, really struggling with the G Series driver.

Not sure what's suddenly gone wrong but hitting everything lower and left.

I have tried to go back to basics and checked grip, ball position etc but really struggling whereas my irons are either laser straight or baby cut.

Bloody golf eh

Edited by StillPlayingHoganApex99
Typo
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, StillPlayingHoganApex99 said:

Got the G series permanently in my bag now. Absolutely love them but for some reason I've started really, really struggling with the G Series driver.

Not sure what's suddenly gone wrong but hitting everything lower and left.

I have tried to go back to basics and checked grip, ball position etc but really struggling whereas my irons and either laser straight or baby cut.

Bloody golf eh

Here ya go "If you Want to Change Your Screen Name" :classic_laugh:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Ping G20 5-PW DGS300 Yellow Dot

Ping Glide Pro 48*

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 35*, RED, Black Accra

Callaway Tour TruTrack Yellow

• 1 month later...
On 11/19/2022 at 10:27 PM, agolf1 said:

I still have a set of G25s, 5 iron (bent to 24 degrees) through SW that usually get paired with some type of Eye 2 LW.  I actually wish more of the PING iron sets would offer a matching SW but I guess not much demand outside of the G range.  It (SW) is great for 3/4 to full shots (inside 100 yards) and basic chips/pitches around the green.  More or less a "12 iron."

Moving on - finally sold the G25s.  Had 5-iron - SW with the lofts at 24-28-32-36-40-44-49-54 (basically an old 4-iron to PW and the SW as an "11-iron"). 

As mentioned by others, it seems like these (G25s) and the G30s were some of the better ones with a bit better feel than the newer versions (if you can even say feel matters for a GI/SGI club like these).  I also liked the industrial dark finish.  But time moves on...

8 hours ago, agolf1 said:

But time moves on...

...or NOT!  

I still love my G's, and have no interest in changing.

• Like 2

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

I don’t know Ness, I’ve played g10 for three years, then g25 for six years and now I’m on four years with the g410. I can sense a set of i210 on my horizon though.

Edited by philly2kuk

Pro v1

5 hours ago, philly2kuk said:

I don’t know Ness, I’ve played g10 for three years, then g25 for six years and now I’m on four years with the g410. I can sense a set of i210 on my horizon though.

I think the 410s look better than the 425s/430s.  Also seems like this version had the biggest jump with the screw in toe.

Maybe try the i230s, which also have the screw?  The i59s also look nice, although they don't make a UW (if you like that).  All of the MOI figures are pretty close among these three though (i.e. may not be much difference).

I recently bought two G430 sets off 3balls.  one was Graphite Alta and the other set AWT2.0.  Both reg flex.  

At first I didn't like that it took 1 extra club to cover the same lofts as my G425 6-UW set but to Ping's credit they did gap off.

The 6i was 150-155 and they went down 10 yds from there with the 50* being my 95 yd club.

I hit them pretty good but I had trouble often turning over the 6i and 7i and my stock shot is a baby draw.  

I did find something in my swing though so I may end up taking another stab at them.  I have always wanted to try the Nippon 850gh in my irons as my old reliable cleveland set has the True Tempter Traction 85g shaft in them.  and noticed that some online retailers off the 850gh shaft as an upgrade option.  

Instead of fighting the 6i which is always my bugaboo club I might opt for the G430 6h and go 7i-50* in the G430's or 7-UW in the i230's.  I recently did a trial on Global Golf's U try it program on the 5h and really liked it alot.  very easy to hit and the adjustments really made a difference to dial in ball flight.   

• Thanks 1

_________________________________________________________________________________________

:taylormade: Qi10 Max 12* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5R

PING G430 SFT 5w 19* | 7w 22* Alta CB Black (set to +/Flat)

Exotics Xrail 5h 26* Graphite Design Tour G

Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke HL 6-AW True Temper Elevate 85R

PING Glide 4.0 56* WS Nippon Z-115

Cleveland CBX Full Face 2 60* | Smart Sole C 4.0

PING 2023 Anser 2D

• 3 weeks later...

Went in for a fitting a couple weeks ago.  Tried the g430, i230, T350, ZX4 and ZX5 MkII.  We ended up going with the ZX5.  They came in this week and I played a round Thursday and stunk it up.  Haven't shot in the 90's for a few years now so now I am second guessing my purchase.  

I played G425 irons last season and midway through this season before selling them off. they performed fine but didn't think I needed retro lofts.    I then had in 2 diff sets of G430 irons but returned both of them (kinda had sticker shock even though I got decent deals on them both).

Now I am kinda having buyers remorse on the ZX5's and found myself looking for a used set of G400, G (2016) or G425's. Wish the 425's were still orderable today.  ugh.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

PING 2023 Anser 2D

I'm a huge ping homer, but let me say Mizuno has it figured out with 923 HL. 

I guess they are the first low CG iron I have played and with the weaker lofts they just want to fly. So effortless. Throw in the looks, feel, and high moi and they are the perfect set for a picker like me. 

The g430s do seem to be trending to a lower CG and the feel is improved over g425 but in my mind, Marty and gang still have work to do. G25 might be the closest ping iron to 923 HL, but seem to lack in the punch and feel department. 

Let me tell you what Wooderson is packin'
Sim Max 12° Speeder NX 6s
Sim2 Max 15°
Ping G410 21° 
Ping G425 22°/25°
Ping G430 6-PW AWT Stiff
Ping Glide 3.0 GW/SW

Ping Eye 2 XG LW

I've got a set of G30s in my sights.  They're the right lie and flex and the condition is minty fresh. 

Edit: I decided to pull the trigger and they'll arrive this week.  Even though they're the right flex, I'm planning to reshaft with my preferred shaft (AWT 2.0) and grip (5L) so that I can also get them to my preferred lengths.

Edited by 14max
  • Like 1

Driver PING G SF Tec

Wood PING G (18.5*)

Irons PING G30 (6-SW)

Putter PING DS72 2021 (35")

Bag Jones Classic Stand

Cart Clicgear 3.5+

2 hours ago, Wooderson said:

I'm a huge ping homer, but let me say Mizuno has it figured out with 923 HL. 

I guess they are the first low CG iron I have played and with the weaker lofts they just want to fly. So effortless. Throw in the looks, feel, and high moi and they are the perfect set for a picker like me. 

The g430s do seem to be trending to a lower CG and the feel is improved over g425 but in my mind, Marty and gang still have work to do. G25 might be the closest ping iron to 923 HL, but seem to lack in the punch and feel department. 

I had the g425’s in retro lofts which make them loft for loft the same as the 923 HL’s. I ordered the 923 HL 6i when they came out but for me the g425 was a better iron. 2-3 yds more carry. Same spin, launch and peak height similar and the g425 had a thinner topline that looked better to my eye.  

• Like 1

PING 2023 Anser 2D

Anyone still gaming the g400’s?

similar specs to the 410’s and 425 and most reviews had the 3 sets all similar performance wise. Maltby liked the 400 the best as it had the lowest actually vertical cog. 

PING 2023 Anser 2D

5 hours ago, erock9174 said:

Anyone still gaming the g400’s?

similar specs to the 410’s and 425 and most reviews had the 3 sets all similar performance wise. Maltby liked the 400 the best as it had the lowest actually vertical cog. 

My old man is coming up on 6 years with his g400s. I tried them at the time but they were no different to the g25 I had for performance. It was the g410 where I saw an improvement for my game, but conversely my dad saw no benefit over his g400. Funny old game.

Edited by philly2kuk
  • Like 1

Pro v1

I’m still loving my G series irons. I managed to add a 3 hybrid in the same spec; graphite senior shaft, and I discovered that I could hit it really well, better than my driver which I’ve never gotten used to. First time using it I hit 10 FIRs! So, I added a 4H and a 5H too 🙂

My bag is now 3H - 5H, 5i to PW, UW and LW. 

The wedges are 45°, 50° and 58°. I can’t afford to add a sand wedge (54°) at the moment. I wonder, should I bend the 50 to 52, or the 58 to 56?

G maxs are another good one to look at you can get some really nice sets on eBay shipping from japan. If you call ping they can still verify the specs even with a japanese serial number. Theres a practically mint set with Nippon Modus 105R shafts for $400 currently. 

Callaway Customs Rogue ST Max D 12° Driver

Ping BeCu Eye 2 + Brown Dot 4-PW/SW Irons

Taylormade MySpider GT Putter

9 hours ago, TallerGolfer said:

I’m still loving my G series irons. I managed to add a 3 hybrid in the same spec; graphite senior shaft, and I discovered that I could hit it really well, better than my driver which I’ve never gotten used to. First time using it I hit 10 FIRs! So, I added a 4H and a 5H too 🙂

My bag is now 3H - 5H, 5i to PW, UW and LW. 

The wedges are 45°, 50° and 58°. I can’t afford to add a sand wedge (54°) at the moment. I wonder, should I bend the 50 to 52, or the 58 to 56?

Maybe choke down an inch on your 58 or practice hitting partial shots with your 50 if not having a club in that slot is negatively affecting your game? Or to take it even further, avoid leaving yourself in that distance range? Just my thoughts fwiw don’t necessarily need to spend money on another club.

Ping G425 12* set at the little - with a tour 2.0 65 stiff shaft

Callaway Steelhead III 18* 5W

Callaway Big Bertha Warbird 21* 7W

Ping G30 4-W, U, and S irons 

Ping Tour 60* wedge

Ping Karsten Craz-E putter

I love the G25 long irons but prefer the i5 short irons. Started playing a combo set of the two as they are both of my favorite irons and they look more than similar enough that it is not a jarring transition. Only con is the lofts mean I am currently using two 7 irons, one from each set. Wondering if anyone else has done something like this with the G and i series?

G25: 5,6,7 irons

i5: 7,8,9,PW

• Like 1

My longer term review of my 5-U retro spec G425s is that I absolutely love them in the mid to longer irons. High and forgiving...seeing a 5 iron stop within a foot or two of its pitch mark never gets old.

However, for me it's too much of a good thing in the short irons and especially wedges. Having a clubhead designed to launch the ball high plus a shaft made for highish launch (Modus 105X) plus retro spec lofts doesn't work.

I've recently seen the benefits of a higher CG wedge in the 60, so I'm replacing the 52 with a Glide 4.0. Thinking of i230s in 8 and 9 and not sure about i230 or Glide for the PW. The 5 and 6 irons in the G425 are going nowhere and probably the 7 too.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, bsan34 said:

Mostly a lurker but been a part of this club off and on for years now. They’re just so much more confidence inspiring at address than anything else I’ve played. Currently bagging K15 4, 5, and 6 hybrids and G30 7-LW. 

Cool setup.  I wanted to love the K15.G15 hybrids and tried them several times but they never sat right to my eye.  

PING 2023 Anser 2D

On 7/9/2023 at 8:26 PM, Nessism said:

Bumping my favorite thread.  What say ye?  Anyone got a story or two for the club?  

I had a fun round this morning.  Hit a bunch of great iron shots with my G30's.  My longest club is the 5 iron, but wishing for a 4 today.  I bent my G's a smig weak, so maybe I should go back to stock?  Anyway, my buddy with the G2's, mentioned a little while back, shot a 74 today.  And trust me, this guy can't putt.  I know this sounds dumb, because he shot a 74, but honestly, his ball striking is other worldly...with the G2's.  He hits the 3 iron 200 yards with a nice smooth swing.  This guy NEVER swings his hardest.  More like 75%.  He's always talking about swinging SLOW.  Those regular shafted G2's just power the ball like nobodies business.

The G2's don't get the love they deserve. Every once in a while I think I should get another set. I played some good golf with those irons.

Titleist TSR 2  9°

Taylormade V-Steel 3 wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

23 hours ago, cals said:

I love the G25 long irons but prefer the i5 short irons. Started playing a combo set of the two as they are both of my favorite irons and they look more than similar enough that it is not a jarring transition. Only con is the lofts mean I am currently using two 7 irons, one from each set. Wondering if anyone else has done something like this with the G and i series?

G25: 5,6,7 irons

i5: 7,8,9,PW

I will probably try this with my incoming G30s and my current ie1s.  They'll be the same in all aspects with the exception of the head.

Driver PING G SF Tec

Wood PING G (18.5*)

Irons PING G30 (6-SW)

Putter PING DS72 2021 (35")

Bag Jones Classic Stand

Cart Clicgear 3.5+

On 9/7/2023 at 2:35 PM, erock9174 said:

Cool setup.  I wanted to love the K15.G15 hybrids and tried them several times but they never sat right to my eye.  

Thanks! I had the same experience with the G15s a while back, and wish I never sold my G20s a few years back. I found the full set a few weeks ago on the bay and now the toe up hasn’t been a problem at all. Still trying to figure out if there’s a little too much overlap between the 6H and the 7i.

• Like 1

Just out of curiosity…guys that use the set UW and SW, do you keep those clubs as the same lie angle as the rest of the set or play them a degree or two flatter?

Ping G425 12* set at the little - with a tour 2.0 65 stiff shaft

Callaway Steelhead III 18* 5W

Callaway Big Bertha Warbird 21* 7W

Ping G30 4-W, U, and S irons 

Ping Tour 60* wedge

Ping Karsten Craz-E putter

On 9/3/2023 at 7:23 PM, 14max said:

I've got a set of G30s in my sights.  They're the right lie and flex and the condition is minty fresh. 

Edit: I decided to pull the trigger and they'll arrive this week.  Even though they're the right flex, I'm planning to reshaft with my preferred shaft (AWT 2.0) and grip (5L) so that I can also get them to my preferred lengths.

Man, starting with the G15 to today (G430), the G30's were my favorite G series iron. I've never rekindled the love and magic I had with the G30 with any other G series. Being that I play custom graphite shafts now, it's just too silly and too much of a pain for me to pick up a used set of G30's to toy around with, reshaft, etc. Enjoy.

Ping G430 Max 10K 9* Driver, GD Tour AD VR-6 S

Callaway ‘23 Great Big Bertha 3 and 5 Woods, GD Tour AD VR-7 S

Callaway Paradym X 4 and 5 Hybrids, Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 80 6.0

Taylormade Qi Irons 6-AW, MMT 105 S

Taylormade Milled Grind 4 Wedges 54*/11 and 58*/11, MMT 105 TX (ss1x)

Odyssey O-Works #7CH Putter