2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

G-MEN UNITE

ShortSticks

I’m on season four with my g410s and can’t see what any other irons would offer me at this point. My practice has reduced since having kids meaning I play more club competitions than practice rounds. The G410s have given me consistency in that misses are pin high left or right instead of short or long and I’ve come down a shot every year since I got them whilst playing little golf. The only negative is the gap wedge, which is a little clunky.

Best decision I made was to switch to G10 irons 14 years ago, which were replaced by G25s after 4 years which were themselves replaced by G410s after 6 years. Don’t understand why more club golfers don’t play them.

Edited by philly2kuk
  • Like 4

Titleist TSR2 10 set at 11 Hzrdus Red CB
Titleist TSI2 16.5 Tensei Blue

Ping G 17.5 set at 18.5 tour regular
Taylormade Rescue Dual 22 Stiff
Taylormade 2023 p790 5-PW kbs tour lite
Vokey SM9 50°/12° SM8 56°/14° and SM9 60°/10°
Taylormade MySpider Tour X plumber’s neck
Taylormade TP5x/Pro v1 (still up for debate)

[i]Remember there are no pictures on a scorecard, only a number. [/i]

4 hours ago, StillPlayingHoganApex99 said:

I've always played forged blades and typically never liked the look of offset and thicker top lines etc but last year, I started messing around with old Ping irons.

I have no idea how or why it even started but I got a set of eye 2's and it snowballed from there. 

I picked up some Becu eye 2's, some ISI's and had a half set of Ping Zing 2's in my Sunday bag which I absolutely love and they couldn't be any further away from the Hogans.

As for the G's....they look waaay smaller than the Zing 2 irons and sit lovely behind the ball and the top line and offset appears minimal to my eye but that may be because I've been using the Zings since October.

Compared to the Hogans, they are almost 2 clubs longer due to lofts and obviously feel nowhere near as soft.

When you pure one though they still feel great and when you miss hit one, they feel nowhere near as painful as a miss hit with the Hogans.

I honestly don't see me putting the Hogans back in play which is a shame because they have served me so well but I'm getting to the point where I don't see the need to make the game any harder than it already is.

The longest iron I have in the G is a 5 iron and I typically don't get on with hybrids so might look into getting a crossover or something and go full Ping in the bag, well apart from the putter of course, I've had that since 1998 or something and that is definitely going nowhere.

Thanks for the detailed explanation. I agree, there is something special about Ping GI clubs.

We have a similar Ping trajectory. I played Mizuno blades for many years, even though my game was never quite worthy. Went looking for some help.

Went G5, G15 (thanks @MtlJeff) and then G. I actually ordered G30's, but my little shop messed up and got the G's which  had just came out. They gave them to me for the same price, so that was a win.

I also bought a set of Becu eye2's last summer. Coolest looking clubs ever and just as beautiful as a Miura blade in their own industrial way. Not nearly as consistent as the G's, so not full time replacements. Except the SW- the hype was real and that stays. Fun to have around and throw in the Sunday bag a few times a year.

Been itching for a new set of irons just because. I did get pick up some i210's- very nice, and not that punishing. Too upright and I don't care for the shafts, so don't want to sink $ in them only to still prefer the G's.

Looked at the newer G series, but the 400, 410 and 425 are just tweaks on the G, and I like the looks of the G more than any of those. I had high hopes for the G430's and they are quite sleek in person, but I do not care for the new gapping and extra wedge.

I'll probably stick with the G's, and find a matching SW that I wish I would have ordered with the set. Maybe scratch the itch and follow @Nessism down the G30 route for giggles. The last of the no ferrule Pings and before the cor-eye face thinning tech.

The Mizuno Hot Metals and new Srixon ZX4 mkII's look great, but difficult to imagine leaving the Ping G family at this point.

Sorry about you username if the Hogan's stay on the sideline :). I agree, why make the game harder, and difficult to ignore modern forgiveness and distance as a recreational player.

• Like 1

Just pulled the trigger on some G425s. Half inch over standard with some X-Flex Modus 105s. Can't wait to join you fellow G-entlemen. 

• Like 1

Driver: Ping G430 Max (Ventus Velocore TR Red 6x)

4W: Titleist Tsi2 16.5* (Hazardus Smoke RDX 70)

7W: Titleist 910 21* (UST Mamiya Attas 75)

Irons: Handmade Stix LB-1 4-PW (Dynamic Gold X100)

Wedges: 50*, 54* & 60* Vokey SM9 (Dynamic Gold S400)

Putter: Odyssey Toulon Austin 

Ball: Titleist ProV1x

Going back to G irons and possibly a G400 driver.  The clubs are just so good.  I have been on a equipment swapping carousel since I sold my G irons to buy i210's.  At this point, also looking to get a back up set just in case.  The G irons when struck well are just as soft as any iron.  And the miss-hits are not as punishing as other clubs 

Good to be back!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, 3eagles18 said:

Of the G2 thru G30 series, which model do you prefer? Subjective opinions are acceptable. Thinking of putting together a retro bag. 

The G25 I had were basically a cult classic as were the G5 and G10. Didn’t play the G15 and the G20s were huge.

If I was to go back now I’d go back to G25s, they lasted six years in my bag for a reason.

Edited by philly2kuk

Titleist TSR2 10 set at 11 Hzrdus Red CB
Titleist TSI2 16.5 Tensei Blue

Ping G 17.5 set at 18.5 tour regular
Taylormade Rescue Dual 22 Stiff
Taylormade 2023 p790 5-PW kbs tour lite
Vokey SM9 50°/12° SM8 56°/14° and SM9 60°/10°
Taylormade MySpider Tour X plumber’s neck
Taylormade TP5x/Pro v1 (still up for debate)

[i]Remember there are no pictures on a scorecard, only a number. [/i]

15 hours ago, 3eagles18 said:

Of the G2 thru G30 series, which model do you prefer? Subjective opinions are acceptable. Thinking of putting together a retro bag. 

G25 or G30.  I think the 25's look better in the bag, but I prefer the 30, because the loft spread is greater, and they have more bounce.

• Like 1

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

18 hours ago, 3eagles18 said:

G25 is the cat's meow

• Like 3

Driver PING G SF Tec

Wood PING G (18.5*)

Irons PING G30 (6-SW)

Putter PING DS72 2021 (35")

Bag Jones Classic Stand

Cart Clicgear 3.5+

I have tried everything and went back to the G25s. Best combo of classic PING bulletproof finish, no ferule, blade length is not too long, club length isn’t too long and lofts are still reasonable. 

Edited by Nelson.br.1515
  • Like 2

PING G425 MAX DRIVER w/ACCRA TZX 255

TAYLORMADE 300 MINI w/ACCRA TZX 265

PING G425 MAX 7W w/ACCRA FX 2.0 200F

PING G425 5H w/ACCRA FX 2.0 200H

PING G425 6H w/ACCRA FX 2.0 200H

PING G425 6-SW w/ACCRA ICWT 95

PING GLIDE 4.0 60-10S w/ACCRA 105i

PING ZING 2 PLD CUSTOM

I believe the G25s are the pinnacle of the G series, but since PING likes to make incremental changes each model year there is a model out there that will fit most people looking for a solid game improvement iron.

Me personally, I like the fat bottom girls, so the early models are some of my favorites but if thinner girls are your thing then the G25s on up may be better for you. I also preferer the no-ferrule (Industrial) look with non-plated tumbled steel finishes.

I did not like once they started thinning the faces so much (G400, G410, G425) as I think the feel went downhill fast but I have not been able to try the G430s yet. I looked at them in the store recently and felt they are getting really thin for a game improvement iron, but if the technology is there I guess that is all that matters. If not for the offset I thought the G430 looked like an i-series iron.

• Haha 1

I have been off again, on again with Ping G series (and one set of i210’s) over the years.  I tried a set of G410’s last year and felt they were quite harsh sounding/feeling even with a softer golf ball and sold them.  Tried some G425’s as I found a couple good prices on sets and to me the G425 was noticeably softer (not forged soft, but definitely improved).  So I picked up a set and I am back in the family.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, LHGolf4 said:

I have been off again, on again with Ping G series (and one set of i210’s) over the years.  I tried a set of G410’s last year and felt they were quite harsh sounding/feeling even with a softer golf ball and sold them.  Tried some G425’s as I found a couple good prices on sets and to me the G425 was noticeably softer (not forged soft, but definitely improved).  So I picked up a set and I am back in the family.

Welcome back to the fold.  I have a set of G425 irons with Steelfibers.  They go in and out of my bag, but being perfectly honest, they often end up bounced by my forged iron sets due to feel and no drop-off in performance.  YMMV.  

I am virtually never without a set of G series irons, though. Just too ingrained in my psyche.

Edited by jeffrey r
  • Like 1

Ping G430 Max 9* Driver, GD Tour AD VR-6 S

Callaway ‘23 Great Big Bertha 3 and 5 Woods, GD Tour AD VR-7 S

Callaway Paradym X 4 and 5 Hybrids, Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 80 6.0

Mizuno JPX 923 HM Irons 6-GW, MMT 105 S

Taylormade Milled Grind 4 Wedges 54*/11 and 58*/11, MMT 105 TX (ss1x)

Odyssey O-Works #7CH Putter

I have been playing Ping Gs since they came out (5-6 years). I just got seduced into some Srixon zx4 Mkii irons because of the look and feel. After having them for a week, I am newly appreciating what great performers the Ping Gs are. So easy to hit. So forgiving. So consistent. While they have left the bag for now, I am holding onto them in case the zx4 mkii can’t live up to the high performance bar they set. 

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, ECgolf said:

I have been playing Ping Gs since they came out (5-6 years). I just got seduced into some Srixon zx4 Mkii irons because of the look and feel. After having them for a week, I am newly appreciating what great performers the Ping Gs are. So easy to hit. So forgiving. So consistent. While they have left the bag for now, I am holding onto them in case the zx4 mkii can’t live up to the high performance bar they set. 

Looking forward to any updates you may have, especially after a few rounds and the honeymoon period wears off.

I have been playing the G's since they came out as well. Looking for a change this year, and the ZX4 mkII's check all the boxes. Like you said, G's have been so good that it may be a vanity change more than a performance one.  Not that there is anything wrong with that.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, bifftaco said:

Looking forward to any updates you may have, especially after a few rounds and the honeymoon period wears off.

I have been playing the G's since they came out as well. Looking for a change this year, and the ZX4 mkII's check all the boxes. Like you said, G's have been so good that it may be a vanity change more than a performance one.  Not that there is anything wrong with that.

Definitely a vanity change for me (and a reward for getting myself to single digit handicap). There were zero performance reasons for the change. I couldn’t name a single thing I wanted out of my irons that the Gs don’t provide - other than looking and sounding prettier. Will plan to update once acclimated to the zx4s. 

• Like 3

I just checked eBay for G iron prices and they are HIGH!  I looked at G25, G30, and Rapture irons, and all have crazy high prices!  Apparently, word is OUT about how great these irons are!  No flying under the radar, swooping up a cheap set.  

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Nessism said:

I just checked eBay for G iron prices and they are HIGH!  I looked at G25, G30, and Rapture irons, and all have crazy high prices!  Apparently, word is OUT about how great these irons are!  No flying under the radar, swooping up a cheap set.  

Not just the irons. I looked at a glued hosel G20 driver a bit ago, $150. Seems like used equipment is outrageous still! 

• Like 1

I keep reading that my Gen 3 XP irons are loaded with Ping DNA because Bob hired away a few of their designers. I’m not sure I agree.
I had a set of G25’s (loved them) but foolishly sold them for  a set of G’s (I hated them. The finish, the feel… ugh) which turned me off on the series.

I then played a set of Rogue X until last year when I jumped on the pxg $99 per club deal with MMT shafts.

Looking at the specs of the G430, I’m thinking they might be the perfect combo of G forgiveness and Rogue X pop due to the same lofts.

Anyone hit the 430’s yet and can you give your thoughts as how they compare to earlier G versions?

Thanks.

• Like 1

PING G425 Max 10.5* 

TAYLORMADE Stealth 3HL & 7W

TAYLORMADE  Stealth 22* & 25*

MIZUNO JPX 923 HM 6-AW 

PING Tour Issue Glide 4.0 Raw 54-12

PING Tour Issue Glide 4.0 Raw 58-10

SCOTTY CAMERON Phantom X 5.5

17 minutes ago, john myrbch said:

I keep reading that my Gen 3 XP irons are loaded with Ping DNA because Bob hired away a few of their designers. I’m not sure I agree.
I had a set of G25’s (loved them) but foolishly sold them for  a set of G’s (I hated them. The finish, the feel… ugh) which turned me off on the series.

I then played a set of Rogue X until last year when I jumped on the pxg $99 per club deal with MMT shafts.

Looking at the specs of the G430, I’m thinking they might be the perfect combo of G forgiveness and Rogue X pop due to the same lofts.

Anyone hit the 430’s yet and can you give your thoughts as how they compare to earlier G versions?

Thanks.

I'm sure the G430's are wonderful irons, but in my opinion, Ping jumped the shark with the lofts.  Two gap wedges?  Really?  Some will say that the clubs hit the ball high, thus the need for the strong lofts, but that's BS.  Get them if your sensibilities support carrying FIVE wedges, but that's a bridge too far in my world.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Nessism said:

I'm sure the G430's are wonderful irons, but in my opinion, Ping jumped the shark with the lofts.  Two gap wedges?  Really?  Some will say that the clubs hit the ball high, thus the need for the strong lofts, but that's BS.  Get them if your sensibilities support carrying FIVE wedges, but that's a bridge too far in my world.

Yeah the Rogue X lofts were very similar if not identical (PW41*, AW46*, GW51*), but what was strange was the AW was a rocket that played very long, yet the GW spun straight into the air and went as far as a SW. 

I had to go 52*&58* with a couple of Vokeys to manage 14 clubs. I got by, but I’m more comfortable with 54*&58*. I’ll give these a try, but after looking at the price a minute ago, I can’t justify paying double what I did for my forged PXG’s with a premium shaft like the MMT.

Edited by john myrbch
  • Like 1

PING G425 Max 10.5* 

TAYLORMADE Stealth 3HL & 7W

TAYLORMADE  Stealth 22* & 25*

MIZUNO JPX 923 HM 6-AW 

PING Tour Issue Glide 4.0 Raw 54-12

PING Tour Issue Glide 4.0 Raw 58-10

SCOTTY CAMERON Phantom X 5.5

1 hour ago, Nessism said:

My Rapture V2 complete iron set 3-LW is not going anywhere. It would be too

hard and costly to replace and I will come back to it at some point.

I am, currently though, playing with a set of Honma TW-X irons. I guess a ho is 

gonna ho but I want my Raptures at the ready so I can run back to them if the

Honmas begin to misbehave.

Edited by Conrad1953
  • Like 2

Picked up a set of G400's for a decent price. Looking forward to using them soon, weather permitting. I've had numerous sets of Eye 2's, G10's, G20's, one set of G25's, one set of G30's, now the 400's. I love the Ping irons, all of them were good irons, hopefully this set stays for awhile. 

IMG_8406.jpeg

IMG_8407.jpeg

IMG_8408.jpeg

Edited by kwcsports
spelling
  • Like 2

Ping G410 Driver

TM 200 Steel 3W

Lynx Parallax 3-SW

Ping Eye 2 SW

Nike VR Forged 60

Maltby PTM 1

On 2/18/2023 at 2:27 PM, LHGolf4 said:

I tried a set of G410’s last year and felt they were quite harsh sounding/feeling even with a softer golf ball and sold them.  Tried some G425’s as I found a couple good prices on sets and to me the G425 was noticeably softer (not forged soft, but definitely improved).  So I picked up a set and I am back in the family.

I like the G425 feel too. A nice solid thwack, not harsh and not the "did I whiff it?" softness that some people love about forged clubs.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, john myrbch said:

Thanks.

I play the G425 irons in Retro lofts.  So the 7i is 32* with Alta Reg flex (short knocker).  Have no issues hitting it high (well above 40* descent angle and with nice spin over 5k which is good for my swing speed).   Yesterday I hit the G430 7i which is 29* with the Alta Reg shaft and couldn't get the descent over 38* which bummed me out.  And spin was very low too...under 4k.  It looks and feels a hair better than my G425, but even if I retro lofted it, not sure what advantage it would give me over the G425's.  I need height and spin not pure distance.  

And going to the 35/45g Alta Quick shaft would be too light and I am sure my dispersion would be all over the map.  Sometimes I feel the 75g Alta is too light.  

• Like 1

_________________________________________________________________________________________

:taylormade: Qi10 Max 12* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5R

PING G430 SFT 5w 19* | 7w 22* Alta CB Black (set to +/Flat)

Exotics Xrail 5h 26* Graphite Design Tour G

Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke HL 6-AW True Temper Elevate 85R

PING Glide 4.0 56* WS Nippon Z-115

Cleveland CBX Full Face 2 60* | Smart Sole C 4.0

PING 2023 Anser 2D

11 hours ago, john myrbch said:

Yeah the Rogue X lofts were very similar if not identical (PW41*, AW46*, GW51*), but what was strange was the AW was a rocket that played very long, yet the GW spun straight into the air and went as far as a SW. 

I had to go 52*&58* with a couple of Vokeys to manage 14 clubs. I got by, but I’m more comfortable with 54*&58*. I’ll give these a try, but after looking at the price a minute ago, I can’t justify paying double what I did for my forged PXG’s with a premium shaft like the MMT.

I played Rogue X a bit couple years ago. I went PW, AW, then straight to a SW, skipping the GW with no problem whatsoever. Just seem to hit my number with less effort, per the lofts I presume. Miss that set. They had Recoils in them. 

Original G25 owner here. They are still in the bag almost a decade after purchase (for all the reasons noted above).

With the love affair for them on this thread, you guys have almost 'shamed' me into not looking at the G430. But I still think I'll find my way into a hitting bay at some point this year.

• Like 2