2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

G-MEN UNITE

ShortSticks

29 minutes ago, TallerGolfer said:

No. I contacted the seller too. 

If you used paypal I'd get a refund. Unless he said in the listing they were missing you'll get your money back.

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

18 hours ago, braincramp52 said:

If you used paypal I'd get a refund. Unless he said in the listing they were missing you'll get your money back.

I will do but they’re in very good condition otherwise and if I can get the weights replaced by ping for free or a reasonable fee (the seller will cover it), it will still be a good deal. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TallerGolfer said:

I will do but they’re in very good condition otherwise and if I can get the weights replaced by ping for free or a reasonable fee (the seller will cover it), it will still be a good deal. 

Sometimes Ping is good about that stuff, and sometimes not.  At some point they don't stock weights for their older irons either.  Here in the US they charged me $14 to replace the weight on a Glide wedge.  I thought that was a little on the steep side but what can you do?  

Regarding the clubs missing the weights, I'd return them to the seller, or at least, insist on a significant discount.  Not disclosing that sort of damage is NOT cool.

• Like 1

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

1 hour ago, Nessism said:

Sometimes Ping is good about that stuff, and sometimes not.  At some point they don't stock weights for their older irons either.  Here in the US they charged me $14 to replace the weight on a Glide wedge.  I thought that was a little on the steep side but what can you do?  

Regarding the clubs missing the weights, I'd return them to the seller, or at least, insist on a significant discount.  Not disclosing that sort of damage is NOT cool.

I’ll have to see what Ping say tomorrow. 

No, not cool, but I’ve been in touch and it may be a genuine oversight, I dunno. I got them for a good price so I can afford a little bit extra and hopefully the seller will cover it anyway; depends on the cost. 

Third time's a charm?

I bought some G30's off eBay today, for a price that was not ideal, but not horrible.  This set has "splintered shafts," so basically, they are a set of heads.  No problem for me, since I've got scads of shafts going to waste.  I'm hoping the heads are on the heavy side of average, since they have graphite shafts in them.  

The G30's have a good deal more bounce than the G25's, which is something this digger likes.  They have a little greater loft spread too, so no need for a 4 iron (the set goes 5-U.)  The CG is higher than the G25's, so I'm not a fan of that, but it's still quite a bit lower than the newer G's.

With luck, I'll give these heads the spa treatment and reshaft, and wind up with a nice set.  I've sold my G425's, so I'm counting on these being my go-to G set.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Nessism said:

Third time's a charm?

I bought some G30's off eBay today, for a price that was not ideal, but not horrible.  This set has "splintered shafts," so basically, they are a set of heads.  No problem for me, since I've got scads of shafts going to waste.  I'm hoping the heads are on the heavy side of average, since they have graphite shafts in them.  

The G30's have a good deal more bounce than the G25's, which is something this digger likes.  They have a little greater loft spread too, so no need for a 4 iron (the set goes 5-U.)  The CG is higher than the G25's, so I'm not a fan of that, but it's still quite a bit lower than the newer G's.

With luck, I'll give these heads the spa treatment and reshaft, and wind up with a nice set.  I've sold my G425's, so I'm counting on these being my go-to G set.

How come you sold your 425's Ness?

• Like 1

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

16 hours ago, braincramp52 said:

How come you sold your 425's Ness?

I'm not exactly sure, it was a hasty decision.  That said, for one thing, they have a high CG and I hit them low.  2nd, they clank quite loudly if struck off the center of the face.  That's a product of the spring face and overall design.  Don't take me wrong, they are great clubs.  I just want to go back to the old-skool farm implement type G's, not the modern swoopy ones.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Nessism said:

I'm not exactly sure, it was a hasty decision.  That said, for one thing, they have a high CG and I hit them low.  2nd, they clank quite loudly if struck off the center of the face.  That's a product of the spring face and overall design.  Don't take me wrong, they are great clubs.  I just want to go back to the old-skool farm implement type G's, not the modern swoopy ones.

I get it. I played some of my best golf with the 410's but I  hated the sound. 

• Like 1

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

3 hours ago, Nessism said:

Ah G30s, the last of the no-ferrule shovels. I never got to try those, but actually liked the silver finish more than the dark finish of the G25s. Let us know how it works out.

The spring faces era of irons do not work for me either. The feel (sound) and the inconsistent distance control turned me off so I have been relegated to the older models of gardening tools.

Edited by ShortSticks
  • Like 1

Has anyone taken an old set of Eye 2’s and reshafted with, say Alta CB graphite like in the new g425’s?

PING G425 4-UW/SW/Black Dot +1” Alta CB RFlex/ChipR

PING G410 Plus DRIVER 10.5*/3W 14*/3hyb.19*/5W 17.5/9W 22*

PING Putter Custom PLD Anser 4J Proto / Odyssey TriHot #3

VICE Pro Soft Lime Green / Bridgestone Rx-TreoSoft

20 minutes ago, Motoboss said:

Has anyone taken an old set of Eye 2’s and reshafted with, say Alta CB graphite like in the new g425’s?

I've been playing some Eye 2's as of late, and like them, but they are not in the same league of forgiveness as the G's.  The leading edge is sharp, and the long irons have negative bounce.  My ballstriking precision is not up to the task.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Nessism said:

I've been playing some Eye 2's as of late, and like them, but they are not in the same league of forgiveness as the G's.  The leading edge is sharp, and the long irons have negative bounce.  My ballstriking precision is not up to the task.

I’ve been playing Eye 2’s since 1992, the only full set I’ve ever owned. I started playing in the mid ‘80’s with a mismatch set of Black Knights (Gary Player) and Goodwill clubs.

They were my fathers and after he passed were given to me. Played them ever since, up until receiving my G425’s this past December.

First ever set of “my” clubs!

I’ll never get rid of them but thought about reshafting to a more modern graphite shaft, thus my interset. The Eye 2 set is SW-1 iron with a set of Eye 2 (real) woods 😉 

Edited by Motoboss
  • Like 1

PING G425 4-UW/SW/Black Dot +1” Alta CB RFlex/ChipR

PING G410 Plus DRIVER 10.5*/3W 14*/3hyb.19*/5W 17.5/9W 22*

PING Putter Custom PLD Anser 4J Proto / Odyssey TriHot #3

VICE Pro Soft Lime Green / Bridgestone Rx-TreoSoft

54 minutes ago, Motoboss said:

I’ll never get rid of them but thought about reshafting to a more modern graphite shaft, thus my interset. The Eye 2 set is SW-1 iron with a set of Eye 2 (real) woods 😉 

The Eye2 heads are pretty light, so reshafting with lightweight shafts is going to lead to low swingweight, unless you build them over length.  I built my set with TT DG Lite shafts, and had to use some good sized tip weights.  Graphite shafts with tip weights kind of sucks, in my view.  Therein lies the rub...

Edited by Nessism
  • Like 1

On 6/12/2022 at 11:31 AM, TallerGolfer said:

I’ll have to see what Ping say tomorrow. 

No, not cool, but I’ve been in touch and it may be a genuine oversight, I dunno. I got them for a good price so I can afford a little bit extra and hopefully the seller will cover it anyway; depends on the cost. 

Update?

• Like 1

I am still gaming the G30’s. Tried the 400’s and 410’s and 425’s and could not deal with the sound and feel. Forgiveness is a tad better but not enough to switch. Sent the 30’s to PING for a refinish last year and basically got a new set back. Don’t see these leaving the bag anytime soon. Love the no ferrule and darker brushed look Don’t care for the shiny chrome look as much. Wish PING would have kept this look for the G series. 

• Like 3

Anyone else found their G400 irons to be light in the heads? Like C8 to d0 light? I packed mine full of lead tape and got them to D5, but i couldn't believe C8 on my swing weight scale. 

G400 Max 9* Ping tour 65r   

G410 17.5* Atmos Blue 7r

G25 23* oban devotion

G400 5-U AWT 2.0

Tour-W 56* AWT

Karsten Craz-e

Black Hoofer C-1 

K Sig

36 minutes ago, HoosierHacker89 said:

Anyone else found their G400 irons to be light in the heads? Like C8 to d0 light? I packed mine full of lead tape and got them to D5, but i couldn't believe C8 on my swing weight scale. 

They came out at D0 so they were close to where they should be

• Like 1

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

18 hours ago, Nessism said:

I agree with your assessment of the 425s and think it's a good move, going back the the 25s/30s, IMO.  All G-series from the Ping G going forward lacked the solid feel from the their eye-core tech.  

If I was in the market for some G's, I'd be looking hard at the G25's, maybe even the G5's.

• Like 1

Ping G400 Max 10.5*
Ping G425 5W 
Ping G425 19* 3H
Srixon ZX5 4-P 
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 50*, 54*, 58*
Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2+

3 hours ago, Flyers99 said:

I am still gaming the G30’s. Tried the 400’s and 410’s and 425’s and could not deal with the sound and feel. Forgiveness is a tad better but not enough to switch. Sent the 30’s to PING for a refinish last year and basically got a new set back. Don’t see these leaving the bag anytime soon. Love the no ferrule and darker brushed look Don’t care for the shiny chrome look as much. Wish PING would have kept this look for the G series. 

I have a set of G25 irons that I have thought about sending in for a refresh at some point.  It is good to hear you were satisfied with the process.  I also like the no ferrule look.  To me that is what I associate with a PING iron.

• Like 1

Driver: Cobra Aerojet
5W: Ping G430
3H & 4H: Ping G410
5H:  Ping G
6 - GW: Ping G25

54*: Ping Glide 4.0
58*: Cleveland RTX Zipcore Full Bounce
Putter: Odyssey Tri Hot Double Wide CH Putter

Grips:  Golf Pride MCC Plus 4

Ball:  Titleist ProV1, Maxfli Tour, Taylormade TP5, PXG

30 minutes ago, DE-ILLINI said:

I have a set of G25 irons that I have thought about sending in for a refresh at some point.  It is good to hear you were satisfied with the process.  I also like the no ferrule look.  To me that is what I associate with a PING iron.

Very satisfied. A few irons had some small dings. All were buffed out. New shaft sticker bands as well. Set looked brand new!

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Flyers99 said:

Set looked brand new!

My ie1s came back looking like new, too.  They do a great job when they refinish.  I wish the newer irons had the same durability, solid feel, and ability to be refinished as the older models...

Edited by 14max

Driver PING G SF Tec

Wood PING G (18.5*)

Irons PING G30 (6-SW)

Putter PING DS72 2021 (35")

Bag Jones Classic Stand

Cart Clicgear 3.5+

3 hours ago, braincramp52 said:

They came out at D0 so they were close to where they should be

I just looked that up. Thanks for the heads up. I know the old eye 2 irons ran C7 or so, but i didn't realize it about the newer irons. Lead tape has been my solution to most of life's swing weight problems. 

First time(ish) g man here. I have been really impressed with my g400 irons so far. i do want to get them bent flat though. I may send to ping and i may just have a local dude around here do it. 

G400 Max 9* Ping tour 65r   

G410 17.5* Atmos Blue 7r

G25 23* oban devotion

G400 5-U AWT 2.0

Tour-W 56* AWT

Karsten Craz-e

Black Hoofer C-1 

K Sig

I loved my g25s, had them six years and they looked fantastic. However I don’t miss them as my g410s are superior in every way. My dispersion is smaller, the clubs fly higher (comparing say 7 iron to 7 iron) and I’ve gained a club and a bit in distance. I was fit for both by ping and the shaft was basically just the newer version of my old shaft. Interesting to read people find the opposite and have gone back.

Titleist TSR2 10 set at 11 Hzrdus Red CB
Titleist TSI2 16.5 Tensei Blue

Ping G 17.5 set at 18.5 Ping tour shaft.
Titleist TS3 hybrid 21 Tensei Blue
Taylormade 2023 p790 5-PW kbs tour lite
Vokey SM9 50°/12° SM8 56°/14° and SM9 60°/10°
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport two
Taylormade TP5x

[i]Remember there are no pictures on a scorecard, only a number. [/i]

On 6/16/2022 at 8:06 AM, HoosierHacker89 said:

SwingWeightTable.JPG.152320fd4b59efbd9d2

That's what I came up with when I weighed and measured my G400 7, 8, and 9 irons.

What's In The Bag?

Srixon Z565 Driver, 4W, 4H

Ping G400 5-U

Kirkland Sig Wedges

Odyssey White Hot Putter

Hyundai Equus Alignment Sticks

KSig balls for now - in search of something new

...don't ask me why I'm still looking at clubs, but, what about these?  Seems to me, they deserve to belong to the G-men club!

Tungsten toe weight and Ti face insert.  Too fancy?  Anyway, they were sold for premium pricing when new, but now, they are quite affordable.

image.png.004e2fb55f3a5888014e086ffa13666d.png

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Nessism said:

...don't ask me why I'm still looking at clubs, but, what about these?  Seems to me, they deserve to belong to the G-men club!

Tungsten toe weight and Ti face insert.  Too fancy?  Anyway, they were sold for premium pricing when new, but now, they are quite affordable.

image.png.004e2fb55f3a5888014e086ffa13666d.png

Some of my most memeroble rounds ever were with these irons! Raptures! Awesome.  

• Like 1

I have now defaulted to my G425 irons after selling off everything but my Stealth irons that I have sent to our PNW home. I have played over a dozen rounds, three tournaments and several scrambles and have no reason to pull the Gs from the bag., Front to back, left to right dispersion is only rivaled by Mizzys. Always run home to Mama, PING...

On 6/15/2022 at 1:25 PM, Nessism said:

Hard to beat g25 irons. Played them for over 10 years.

• Like 1

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip