2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

G-MEN UNITE

ShortSticks

On 1/22/2022 at 4:27 PM, Nessism said:

Sold my 410's in early December and bought some Mizuno Hot Metals.  No good reason, just looking for that new club smell.  Two months in now, and wound up buying a set of 425's off a member here last night.  Can't wait to get them.  There is just something about the G's that keep pulling me back in.  I've got the Recoils from the 410's and will most likely slam them in when the clubs arrive.  If everything goes as planned I'll be posting a review next weekend!  😍

:classic_laugh: Once a,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

I still have my G20s from 2012 and can't kick 'em out of the bag though Lord knows I've tried.

Bought and played G25s, G30s and G-Series and none of them could kick out the 20s. Haven't liked the 400, 410 and 425 versions enough to give them a serious try.

I DID try me some Mizuno MP-20 blades yesterday and other than the loss of 1/2 club due to lofts,,,,,,,,,,,,,, hmmmmmm,,,,,,,, nahhhhhhh. Been burned too many times by a 1-time "WOW, let's buy those" session. hit my head.gif

Edited by nsxguy
  • Like 3

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

My first was a set of Black Knights back in the mid 80’s when first learning the game. After my father passed and I was given his Ping Eye 2’s in March of 1992. So for near 30 years I have played just one set of clubs, sometimes poorly but always enjoyable.

Heading into retirement my Wife bought me a new Ping Traverse bag and said it was time for “my” own set of clubs. July of 2021 I was fitted for a set of G425 irons, which arrived mid December. Five month wait!! Ironically, a friend bought a new set of G425 woods and I bought his “old” set of G410’s last fall, D-3w-9w-3hy. This collection will be my last set of clubs and I have no problem with that

Undoubtedly I am a G MAN !

C41EF40B-2054-4346-AFCB-5743F65E83F0.jpeg

• Like 2

PING G425 4-UW/SW/Black Dot +1” Alta CB RFlex/ChipR

PING G410 Plus DRIVER 10.5*/3W 14*/3hyb.19*/5W 17.5/9W 22*

PING Putter Custom PLD Anser 4J Proto / Odyssey TriHot #3

VICE Pro Soft Lime Green / Bridgestone Rx-TreoSoft

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Bumping my favorite thread back up!

No hole in one this time, sadly.🤐

At the risk of sounding narcissistic, I've posted a couple of different threads here recently expounding on my desire to find a nice set of "dirt cheap" irons to use at my local dog track of a course.  First I restored a set of Eye 2's, and then some Wishon/Golfsmith XPC3 nickel irons.  Both are fun to play, but the forgiveness doesn't come close to the G's.  Today I put the G425's back in the bag, and it was business as usual.  The distance is back, as is the shot consistency.  Someone here was selling some Ping G irons a few weeks back for a great price, and now I'm kicking myself for not grabbing them.  Sadly, my back doesn't allow me to practice much, so I need all the forgiveness I can get these days.  As fun as the dirt cheap irons are, I'm afraid they are destined to sit in the garage now because the G's are just so superior for my game.  Ping really nailed it with this series.

• Like 2

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

This will be my third summer (holy smokes) playing G400s.  The setup is in my sig:  5i through UW, with a set of Srixon woods, Kirkland wedges, and an Odyssey putter.

I usually leave the Ping UW and the Kirkland 52 deg wedge out of my bag, as I can't hit either of those worth a darn.  Yes, it leaves a pretty sizeable gap between the 44 deg Ping wedge and the next 56 deg Kirkland wedge, but I'm working on it.

• Like 1

What's In The Bag?

Srixon Z565 Driver, 4W, 4H

Ping G400 5-U

Kirkland Sig Wedges

Odyssey White Hot Putter

Hyundai Equus Alignment Sticks

KSig balls for now - in search of something new

10 minutes ago, HappyGilmoresBoots said:

This will be my third summer (holy smokes) playing G400s.  The setup is in my sig:  5i through UW, with a set of Srixon woods, Kirkland wedges, and an Odyssey putter.

I usually leave the Ping UW and the Kirkland 52 deg wedge out of my bag, as I can't hit either of those worth a darn.  Yes, it leaves a pretty sizeable gap between the 44 deg Ping wedge and the next 56 deg Kirkland wedge, but I'm working on it.

I love the Ping UW.  It works so much better than any other 50 degree wedge I've found...for my game.  A playing partner uses the Kirklands and he's deadly with those things.  Especially the 60.  He hit several today to gimmy range.  Great clubs.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nessism said:

I love the Ping UW.  It works so much better than any other 50 degree wedge I've found...for my game.  A playing partner uses the Kirklands and he's deadly with those things.  Especially the 60.  He hit several today to gimmy range.  Great clubs.

I often top my UW, and I reliably shank about 1 in 4 shots with my 52 deg Kirkland.  It's been a long winter though, I'll definitely give both of them a try this season.

What's In The Bag?

Srixon Z565 Driver, 4W, 4H

Ping G400 5-U

Kirkland Sig Wedges

Odyssey White Hot Putter

Hyundai Equus Alignment Sticks

KSig balls for now - in search of something new

2 hours ago, Nessism said:

Love the UW too...  Call it my Uber Wedge

• Like 1

Ping G400 Max, Ping Tour 65R
Ping G425 5W w/Alta S

Ping i200 5-U w/SteelFiber fc90R

Ping Glide 3 54/12 & 58/6
Odyssey O-Works 330M Black 

On 5/9/2021 at 1:00 PM, Nessism said:

This thread has sat idle long enough...😎

(Active brag) Had an ace today on a 186 yard par three!  Cranked a 6 iron which landed about 6 feet short of the hole and took one bounce forward then dove into the cup! 

Congratulations on your ace Ness!  I'm still swinging the 410s and looking at the Mizuno HMPs off and on...

Curious what you find better ib the 425s...  besides acing the 6 iron; might demo the 425s. Fairways n greens my friend...

Ping G400 Max, Ping Tour 65R
Ping G425 5W w/Alta S

Ping i200 5-U w/SteelFiber fc90R

Ping Glide 3 54/12 & 58/6
Odyssey O-Works 330M Black 

21 hours ago, Birddog2 said:

Curious what you find better ib the 425s...  besides acing the 6 iron; might demo the 425s. Fairways n greens my friend...

Can't say I find the 425's "better" per se.  Both are great.  The 425's look a little better, maybe.

• Like 2

I’m now on my third summer with my g410 irons and hit a pb of level par for 9 holes yesterday with them. Played g25s for 6 years prior to that and bar a year with some r9 tps, I’ve had ping g irons since the g10s came out. I’m definitely a g man.

• Like 1

Titleist TSR2 10 set at 11 Hzrdus Red CB
Titleist TSI2 16.5 Tensei Blue

Ping G 17.5 set at 18.5 Ping tour shaft.
Titleist TS3 hybrid 21 Tensei Blue
Taylormade 2023 p790 5-PW kbs tour lite
Vokey SM9 50°/12° SM8 56°/14° and SM9 60°/10°
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport two
Taylormade TP5x

[i]Remember there are no pictures on a scorecard, only a number. [/i]

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, G-Men. I’m ready to join the ranks and wanted a little advice.

I was able to snag a demo G-425 7-iron and the performance was as advertised. However, I don’t necessarily want to limit myself for the first set of G’s. So I thought I would ask the group if you noticed any differences between the recent sets (post ferrule),

or if you have any favorites?

I have seen that the MOI has steadily increased and the COG has steadily gone up, but most online comparisons seem to show similar performance.

Also there seems to have been anecdotal evidence that G-400 had a bit of a softer feel. Not sure if there is anything to that.

Any advice appreciated. I assume I will likely just grab the G-425’s, but hey, you never know.

Either way I’ll be a G-man soon.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Brobespierre said:

I was able to snag a demo G-425 7-iron and the performance was as advertised. However, I don’t necessarily want to limit myself for the first set of G’s. So I thought I would ask the group if you noticed any differences between the recent sets (post ferrule),

I have seen that the MOI has steadily increased and the COG has steadily gone up, but most online comparisons seem to show similar performance.

Also there seems to have been anecdotal evidence that G-400 had a bit of a softer feel. Not sure if there is anything to that.

Any advice appreciated. I assume I will likely just grab the G-425’s, but hey, you never know.

They’re all good sets to be honest. I had g10s, then g25s and now g410. I tried every iteration between the g25 and g410 and didn’t hit them any further or with better dispersion until the g410 came out, yet my old man found the g400s to go further and straighter for himself.

Try as many sets as you can, just be aware that the more recent sets have stronger lofts than the old sets.

• Like 1

Titleist TSR2 10 set at 11 Hzrdus Red CB
Titleist TSI2 16.5 Tensei Blue

Ping G 17.5 set at 18.5 Ping tour shaft.
Titleist TS3 hybrid 21 Tensei Blue
Taylormade 2023 p790 5-PW kbs tour lite
Vokey SM9 50°/12° SM8 56°/14° and SM9 60°/10°
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport two
Taylormade TP5x

[i]Remember there are no pictures on a scorecard, only a number. [/i]

12 hours ago, Brobespierre said:

Welcome Friend (In a Jim Nance voice).

All the G series are good in one way or another, just need to find the one that works for you. The newer ones have thinner faces that give them a different feel, whether that is good or bad is up to the individual. 

• Like 1

I currently rock the Ping Karsten Irons (about 7 years old)  and have considered getting the G710s because they appear to be a very long iron and I need to gain some distance.

I just traded in my Ping K15 driver for a ping g400 max and am excited about the upgrade as this driver is supposed to be one of the most forgiving on the market.

Do you think I would gain alot trading in my Ping Karsten Irons and either going to the Ping G 710s or Ping G425?

Ping G425 Max Driver - 9*

Ping G425 Max 3-wood 14.5*

Ping G425 3 Hybrid 19*

Ping G425 4 Hybrid 22*
Ping G710 irons 4-PW 
Ping G710 Wedges 48* 54*
Ping Anser 2 Putter
WITB Link

42 minutes ago, ShortSticks said:

Welcome Friend (In a Jim Nance voice).

All the G series are good in one way or another, just need to find the one that works for you. The newer ones have thinner faces that give them a different feel, whether that is good or bad is up to the individual. 

IMO, all models post G30 utilizing core-eye and/or thinner faces have lacked the feel they used to have.  I find the feel less appealing, but the solid performance is what keeps the G425s in my bag.  Throughout my experience with the G-line (played all but G2, G400, G410, G700, G710), my personal favorite is the G25.  I think this model is the best compromise of looks, forgiveness and feel.  

Edited by MattMo
  • Like 3

Ping G400 Max 10.5*
Ping G425 5W 
Ping G425 19* 3H
Srixon ZX5 4-P 
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 50*, 54*, 58*
Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2+

• 3 weeks later...

I picked up a set of G10 XG's in the BST on a whim. I had planned on just collecting them... then I hit the them. Took them to the range and hit them again. Took them to the range a 3rd time. Now, I am actually considering playing these the rest of the season.

Forgiveness is only secondary to trajectory. 4 and 5 irons off skinny, tight lies fly as high as the wedge. I have a set of i3 Blades I have played off and on throughout the years, but the last G'ish iron I played was the ISI back when they came out. Not a fan of the AWT shaft (but I looooooove the ZZ65 in every other ping iron I have played), but even with that, these things are just flat out fun to hit.

Taylormade Sim2 10.5° (turned down to 9°) - Tensei White 60 stiff

Ping G400 3 and 5 Woods - Diamana D+ Limited 70 stiff

Ping G400 22° Hybrid - Diamana D+ 90 Stiff

Ping i200 5-UW - Modus Tour 105 stiff

Vokey SM4 54° and 58° - DGS-300

Cameron Special Select Newport 2

On 4/13/2022 at 5:39 PM, Htk084 said:

I wanna be a g-man.  Sounds so cool 😳.  I was lookin at these irons before, I really want them now 

I rotate between the G425 and the Stealths but just seeing the PING Gs in my bag initiates many, many memories. I would not judge them on in store or a range demo. Where they shine is IMHO is on the course, late round, hot day, tired body, needing that one last 160yard 6 iron approach, into a stiff breeze, over water. No piece of golf equipment is as faithful a performer as a G iron has been to me, considering my meager skills. Maybe instead of burning a 'Skulls' emblem under my Rolex I should burn a "G" under my S62....😎

Edited by Steelhead
  • Like 1

Well brief update.

I did originally intend to grab a set of g400’s based on reviews, but the little devils hold their value so well for a set that it seemed a better value proposition to just go new. Let’s hope there isn’t much to the difference in center of gravity.

So…

New set of g425’s arrived today. 4-pw, blue dot, retro spec lofts, Modus 105 stiff. Gonna try and get 9 in tomorrow.

Also worth mentioning it only took two weeks for my order to arrive from Ping.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Brobespierre said:

Well brief update.

I did originally intend to grab a set of g400’s based on reviews, but the little devils hold their value so well for a set that it seemed a better value proposition to just go new. Let’s hope there isn’t much to the difference in center of gravity.

So…

New set of g425’s arrived today. 4-pw, blue dot, retro spec lofts, Modus 105 stiff. Gonna try and get 9 in tomorrow.

Also worth mentioning it only took two weeks for my order to arrive from Ping.

WOW Two weeks! Congrats!!!

Mine took five months, although it was winter here so couldn’t have used them anyway . Love ‘em!

• Like 1

PING G425 4-UW/SW/Black Dot +1” Alta CB RFlex/ChipR

PING G410 Plus DRIVER 10.5*/3W 14*/3hyb.19*/5W 17.5/9W 22*

PING Putter Custom PLD Anser 4J Proto / Odyssey TriHot #3

VICE Pro Soft Lime Green / Bridgestone Rx-TreoSoft

• 2 weeks later...

Had a few range 

On 2/14/2022 at 10:39 PM, Habitual Flipper said:

Just found a like new demo set of G25s 4-UW with CFS Stiff. I'm about to join the G-Men club!

Thoughts on that shaft? My other two sets have PX 6.0 and DG s300s. I do find the 6.0s a little "boardy" for my swing currently.

Had a few range sessions and some on course practice sessions with the G25s. Man these are easy to hit and work surprisingly well off of tight lies, which I initially had doubts on. They also fly a mile when I'm used to MP14 and 718 CB distances. 

I'm picking them up tonight after a shaft switch out. The CFS stiff is way too whippy and launched the ball comically high for me. My club builder had a set of brand new S400 tour issues that he threw in for an unbeatable price. I'm hoping that brings the ball flight down and I lose a few yards (so gapping is more in line with my existing wedges).