ShortSticks

On 7/25/2022 at 8:35 PM, erock9174 said:

Nice to come home again. 

73441141-26CA-4A8C-A200-AB4005835008.jpeg

5C82A22D-8C66-4280-AF27-55D85A5233F4.jpeg

6526FF4C-B7A2-4FD6-A718-FF2AB7769EDB.jpeg

6317D4DD-2567-4989-A140-816395C1F3D0.jpeg

46044914-CCDF-44A0-99C1-4DD9E81F55BF.jpeg

Nice. Looks the same as mine but I have -1 weak standard lofts. Kinda between my old Eyes and the new G’s.

Please post back on your yardage comparison. I have found my wedges to be shorter distances than my old Eye’s and interested in seeing what the Retro specs results are.

Hit’m good!

PING G425 4-UW/SW/Black Dot +1” Alta CB RFlex/ChipR

PING G410 Plus DRIVER 10.5*/3W 14*/3hyb.19*/5W 17.5/9W 22*

PING Putter Custom PLD Anser 4J Proto / Odyssey TriHot #3

VICE Pro Soft Lime Green / Bridgestone Rx-TreoSoft

6 hours ago, Motoboss said:

Nice. Looks the same as mine but I have -1 weak standard lofts. Kinda between my old Eyes and the new G’s.

Please post back on your yardage comparison. I have found my wedges to be shorter distances than my old Eye’s and interested in seeing what the Retro specs results are.

Hit’m good!

my other set is i200 (power specs) which makes the 6i 28* same as my retro g425. So far I haven’t noticed any differences. The g425 6i might have a little more pop. But the wedges go about the same. I play the UW middle stance easy swing about 85-90 yds. Ball back both UW goes ~100

• Like 2

_________________________________________________________________________________________

:taylormade: Qi10 Max 12* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5R

PING G430 SFT 5w 19* | 7w 22* Alta CB Black (set to +/Flat)

Exotics Xrail 5h 26* Graphite Design Tour G

Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke HL 6-AW True Temper Elevate 85R

PING Glide 4.0 56* WS Nippon Z-115

Cleveland CBX Full Face 2 60* | Smart Sole C 4.0

PING 2023 Anser 2D

On 7/20/2022 at 3:41 PM, GolfTurkey said:

I’m excited about being able to call myself a G-Man, but the Ping rep’s promised “4 weeks” is now about 3 months and counting.

Apparently this post has some people confused...let me explain. Based on how long I've waited for some Ping clubs,  I was nervous about ordering Ping again.

I shared my concerns and specifically asked the Ping fitter/rep what their current delivery times were, and he said things were back to almost normal except for a few SKUs. G425 irons were supposedly not one of the affected SKUs and were taking about 4 weeks.

I followed up yesterday and was told 18 August (not sure if that is shipping or delivery) because of delays getting in the Modus 105X shafts.

• Like 1

Well after a season best score in last Saturdays competition followed up by a reasonable score in the wet in todays competition, I’ve given up looking at other irons and I’m keeping my g410s in the bag. I’ll just regrip them in a month or two once the big club competitions are out the way and they’ll make it to a fourth season next year and 14th season of playing ping G irons.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Titleist TSR2 10 set at 11 Hzrdus Red CB
Titleist TSI2 16.5 Tensei Blue

Ping G 17.5 set at 18.5 tour regular
Taylormade Rescue Dual 22 Stiff
Taylormade 2023 p790 5-PW kbs tour lite
Vokey SM9 50°/12° SM8 56°/14° and SM9 60°/10°
Taylormade MySpider Tour X plumber’s neck
Pro v1

[i]Remember there are no pictures on a scorecard, only a number. [/i]

33 minutes ago, Nessism said:

I used Karma Velour "midsize" grips on these clubs and can't say enough good things about them.  They are not really midsize, they are only slightly larger than a regular grip; grip weight is 55 grams, vs. 50-52 grams for a standard grip, vs. 65 grams for a conventional "midsize" grip from Golf Pride.  Anyway, they are currently $23/13 grips from Amazon.  Grip deal of the year in my book for guys that enjoy doing their own work.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01CR38ES2/

I had a standard set of those on a set one time and felt they were every bit as good as Tour Velvets at a fraction of the price.

Edited by 14max
  • Like 1

Driver PING G SF Tec

Wood PING G (18.5*)

Irons PING G30 (6-SW)

Putter PING DS72 2021 (35")

Bag Jones Classic Stand

Cart Clicgear 3.5+

50 minutes ago, Nessism said:

Played my newly Recoilized G30's and absolutely love them.  Shots near the center of the face feel so satisfying.  I suppose most any set of irons feel good when struck well, so maybe I'm just smitten.  

I used Karma Velour "midsize" grips on these clubs and can't say enough good things about them.  They are not really midsize, they are only slightly larger than a regular grip; grip weight is 55 grams, vs. 50-52 grams for a standard grip, vs. 65 grams for a conventional "midsize" grip from Golf Pride.  Anyway, they are currently $23/13 grips from Amazon.  Grip deal of the year in my book for guys that enjoy doing their own work.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01CR38ES2/

Oh nice, now you post this and a link!

Just this morning I bought the Champkey Traxion-X set for the Wife’s Harvey Penick set for $25.00 🙂 

image.jpeg.a74784c4a2687d6b5d4d794cf46c71a6.jpeg

• Like 2

PING G425 4-UW/SW/Black Dot +1” Alta CB RFlex/ChipR

PING G410 Plus DRIVER 10.5*/3W 14*/3hyb.19*/5W 17.5/9W 22*

PING Putter Custom PLD Anser 4J Proto / Odyssey TriHot #3

VICE Pro Soft Lime Green / Bridgestone Rx-TreoSoft

Those Champkey grips are really nice. I've got the multicompound ones on my g400 irons. I wish I would've gone midsize, but these will do for now. 

• Like 2

G400 Max 9* Ping tour 65r   

G410 17.5* Atmos Blue 7r

G25 23* oban devotion

G400 5-U AWT 2.0

Tour-W 56* AWT

Karsten Craz-e

Black Hoofer C-1 

K Sig

On 7/31/2022 at 8:57 PM, Texaslefty1 said:

Still gaming my yellow dot G25 irons (5-SW) after 10 years, no desire to change. Driver, 3w, and 5w have been K15's for 10+ years as well, but just today bought a new G400Max driver. 

looks aside, they make golf easier than it's ever been. 

That bag gets a thumbs up👍 from me. 

Play well G\K man.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Conrad1953 said:

Count me in.  I purchased a 4-U set of Rapture V2 irons and then later added the sand and lob

wedges...and then added the 3 iron a few months ago, so I now have the complete set. The 4-

SW have the Ping AWT shaft in R flex. the LW has a KBS wedge shaft and the 3 iron has a Ping

TFC 939i graphite shaft in R flex.

For those who might not know, these came out in 2009 and are basically a G10 with a titanium

face insert and a tungsten toe weight. I wanted a set at the time but they were ridiculously 

expensive so I bought a G10 set instead. I also later had other Ping iron sets, S58, S56, G15,

G25 and i20s. 

During that time though I still wanted a set of the Rapture V2s and eventually as the prices

dropped I found what I wanted on eBay. Now that I have them these are not leaving my bag!

They have a very soft yet solid feel and I love the ball flights I get with them. 

IMG_0381.JPG

How versatile do you find the lob wedge to be? I have one that came with my set but I’ve never hit a single ball with it.

• Like 1

Ping G425 12* set at the little - with a tour 2.0 65 stiff shaft

Callaway Steelhead III 18* 5W

Callaway Big Bertha Warbird 21* 7W

Ping G30 4-W, U, and S irons 

Ping Tour 60* wedge

Ping Karsten Craz-E putter

37 minutes ago, MikeW2 said:

How versatile do you find the lob wedge to be? I have one that came with my set but I’ve never hit a single ball with it.

I'm not sure I would call it a "versatile" lob wedge; at least not in my hands. These SGI set wedges

are built for forgiveness, along with providing some feel continuity with the rest of the iron set.

Beyond the mentioned forgiveness I don't demand much from my lob wedge. I hit full shots with it

in the 70 yard range. Other than that I only use it when it's my best option to get close; like when

I'm short sided, etc.

It has a little too much bounce for those open face shots off tight lies. I just don't attempt those

shots. To be honest though, those are tough shots, even with a low bounce wedge. 

The way I see it is there is a trade off. I have less options with my set LW but with the options

I do have I am successful more often than I was when I was using my Ping Gorge specialty

wedge. I proved this to myself by pitting them against each other in a practice session. 

It comes down to, for me, what shots am I going to face the most and which wedge do I want

in my hand for those shots. The shots that I would truly need a specialty wedge for I don't

face that often and when I do my SGI wedge might put me further from the hole while with the

specialty wedge there's also a higher risk of a chunk of a thin. 

We golfers think too much! And, as always YMMV.

• Like 1

I love my 60* so that’s probably why set LW went straight into the storage bag in my basement, but I was curious so maybe it’ll come out of hibernation and join me for a little testing. The high bounce could be an issue with me and what I use the lob for. 

29 minutes ago, Conrad1953 said:

I'm not sure I would call it a "versatile" lob wedge; at least not in my hands. These SGI set wedges

are built for forgiveness, along with providing some feel continuity with the rest of the iron set.

Beyond the mentioned forgiveness I don't demand much from my lob wedge. I hit full shots with it

in the 70 yard range. Other than that I only use it when it's my best option to get close; like when

I'm short sided, etc.

It has a little too much bounce for those open face shots off tight lies. I just don't attempt those

shots. To be honest though, those are tough shots, even with a low bounce wedge. 

The way I see it is there is a trade off. I have less options with my set LW but with the options

I do have I am successful more often than I was when I was using my Ping Gorge specialty

wedge. I proved this to myself by pitting them against each other in a practice session. 

It comes down to, for me, what shots am I going to face the most and which wedge do I want

in my hand for those shots. The shots that I would truly need a specialty wedge for I don't

face that often and when I do my SGI wedge might put me further from the hole while with the

specialty wedge there's also a higher risk of a chunk of a thin. 

We golfers think too much! And, as always YMMV.

• Like 1

Ping G425 12* set at the little - with a tour 2.0 65 stiff shaft

Callaway Steelhead III 18* 5W

Callaway Big Bertha Warbird 21* 7W

Ping G30 4-W, U, and S irons 

Ping Tour 60* wedge

Ping Karsten Craz-E putter

• 4 weeks later...
25 minutes ago, deejaid said:

Between work and kids, my golf game had really taken a backseat and my scores and consistency were suffering.  I read this entire thread and thought that I needed to become a G-Man.

Well, I recently became a G-Man and couldn’t be happier.   I put a set of G425 irons in the bag and went out after a single range session after not hitting a ball for nearly 3 weeks due to work,  and shot an 84.  That was about my average when I played a forged players iron and practiced 2-3 times a week.

It helped that I hit a few more fairways but the confidence the G425’s give you standing over the ball is fantastic.

Now I’ve got a G425 SFT on the way to get rid of that right side off the tee and start flirting with sub 80 rounds again.

Just easy, fun to play clubs.

Let us know how that SFT works out, highly underrated driver. imo

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Ghostwedge said:

Let us know how that SFT works out, highly underrated driver. imo

I certainly will.  Scheduled to arrive tomorrow so it will get one range session before playing on Sunday.

• Like 1

Wishon 519 9* with Evenflow Blue

Nicklaus Air Max 16.5*

Sonartec 19*

KZG Forged Cavity Backs 4-AW

Spalding EV-A sand club

Ping ISI lob wedge

Spalding brass milled putter

I borrowed a fitting G425 7i and put it H2H on a ropey grass range vs my i500 7i. I could test good lies, sandy lies, bare lies and fluffy lies.

The G425 totally killed the i500 for me, dispersion was tighter front to back and side to side. The i500 had more longer and shorter shots and more left shots.

That's the good news...unfortunately my 4 and 5 iron order from ~5 months ago hasn't arrived and the local Ping rep has gone incommunicado. If these weren't unobtanium, I would already have placed an order for the rest of the set.

Edited by GolfTurkey
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, deejaid said:

Between work and kids, my golf game had really taken a backseat and my scores and consistency were suffering.  I read this entire thread and thought that I needed to become a G-Man.

Well, I recently became a G-Man and couldn’t be happier.   I put a set of G425 irons in the bag and went out after a single range session after not hitting a ball for nearly 3 weeks due to work,  and shot an 84.  That was about my average when I played a forged players iron and practiced 2-3 times a week.

It helped that I hit a few more fairways but the confidence the G425’s give you standing over the ball is fantastic.

Now I’ve got a G425 SFT on the way to get rid of that right side off the tee and start flirting with sub 80 rounds again.

Just easy, fun to play clubs.

Welcome my friend, this is exactly what it means to be a G-MAN.

• Like 1

These are my league scores for this year. First two numbers are handicap & average score for the year. After that they go newest to oldest. Couple of rainout weeks we didn't play.

4 42.8 39 39 41 38 42 41 46 43 44 42 44 45 47 42 46 45

Came back to the G400's last week in June.

• Like 3

Titleist TSR 2  9°

Taylormade V-Steel 3 wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

Tried / trying PXG 0211 5-G w/Recoil Dart 75s as I wanted to go graphite. Thus far, PING G410 DG105s 5-U remain in the bag.

I think a 95ish graphite would work better.

Edited by Cwing
  • Like 1

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
Taylor Made M4 19* & 22* hybrids
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*
Odyssey Stroke Lab Big Seven Toe Up vs MEZZ1 vs Seemore
Precision Pro Nx7 Pro, Garmin S60 (watch)

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

So not only have I switched to G irons, the G Series (SR graphite, Green dot) I also kinda restarted playing golf after very little in the last 10 years, so I knew I’d need a bit of time before I could judge these clubs. 

I’m very happy with them. My distances are more consistent now I’ve played a few rounds. I can hit 7-LW pretty well but I’m less confident with the 5 and 6 but I’m getting there with those. As I say, I do feel like I’m relearning and developing my swing again. 

Really enjoying my golf at the moment and I know I wouldn’t be with my old steel stiff shaft Wilson’s. 

• Like 4

Another new brother to the fraternity in the past month when I acquired a set of G irons; 6-UW with stock CFS 70 regular graphite shafts.  I've played a half dozen or so rounds in a 9 hole league right from the hop without any range time beforehand.

These clubs just flat out work for me!  I haven't even bothered to get them fit to my specs yet as they are white dot and I'm more like a yellow dot by fitting measures.  (I used to play i25's sometime back.)

I think what surprises me most about these irons is that they feel so nice when well struck.  Even when less than well struck as I recall the i25's being harsher on a thin hit.  What started out as a bit of a flyer has turned out to be one of the better club investments I've made over the years.

• Like 4

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Picked up some G400 this year for a steal and been having a lot of fun with them, count me in the G man club. These will stay in the bag for while. 

• Like 3

Cobra RadSpeed XB - 10.5

Cobra SpeedZone - 14.5

Ping G425 4H @ 20.5

Ping G400 5 - W

Callaway MD5 Wedges 50 / 56

Putter @DNMACHINEWORKS