2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

G-MEN UNITE

ShortSticks

I decided to test the waters and order a 6 and 7 iron from an overseas store that was claiming a 5 day lead time on G425 irons. The 4 and 5 irons that I ordered 5 or 6 months ago (I've lost track) through my local channels have not arrived yet.

What an amazing difference this experience was. After 4 or 5 days, I got a notification that the store had received my custom order from Ping. Then they shipped it and gave me a tracking number.

It arrived today, 11 days after placing my order. 11 freaking days!!! I never received a custom Ping order that quickly pre-covid (and I placed loads). It was usually 3-4 weeks and sometimes longer, and since covid my orders have taken 6 months plus.

Still can't believe it; I basically thought people getting excited about Ping i230s, G430s etc. was a case of the emperor's new clothes and that Ping didn't really supply golf clubs anymore (except maybe chippers). Turns out that Ping HQ not building clubs isn't the issue (they had problems for a little while), but the local supply chain is looking suspect. No BS stories, no eye rolling when I ask "do you have an ETA for my clubs yet", just transparency and delivery. #MindBlown #WillNeverOrderPingLocallyAgain

• Like 2

4 hours ago, GolfTurkey said:

Onto the performance. I took these to the range to compare to my i500's. Both sets retro spec, i500s have DG 120S shafts and G425s have Modus 105X.

The G425 6i is 10g lighter than the i500 6i and the 7i is 13g lighter. Not sure how much of the weight difference is the shaft and how much is the head. These shafts are the same weight according to the Ping website and the Modus is lighter according to other websites.

Anyhow, the Modus is smooooth and the G425 irons smoked the i500s for me. These things are so easy to hit and you have to put a truly horrendous swing on them to get a really bad result. Not sure if it's the shafts, but my strike with G425 was up in the ideal location and the i500s I had loads of low strikes which is my miss with them. I've ordered the rest of the set and can't wait.

I'm happy for you Turkey! You've had a long painful road trying to get some damn new irons.

• Like 3

Titleist TSR 2  9°

Taylormade V-Steel 3 wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

• 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately haven’t been able to play for nearly a month after I was in a car accident.   My G425 SFT arrived the day after my accident so haven’t even had a chance to hit it yet.    

I’m hoping the forgiving nature of the G’s will mean it won’t take me long to get back to playing at my previous level once I am all healed.

• Like 3

Wishon 519 9* with Evenflow Blue

Nicklaus Air Max 16.5*

Sonartec 19*

KZG Forged Cavity Backs 4-AW

Spalding EV-A sand club

Ping ISI lob wedge

Spalding brass milled putter

3 hours ago, deejaid said:

Unfortunately haven’t been able to play for nearly a month after I was in a car accident.   My G425 SFT arrived the day after my accident so haven’t even had a chance to hit it yet.    

I’m hoping the forgiving nature of the G’s will mean it won’t take me long to get back to playing at my previous level once I am all healed.

Wish you a speedy recovery deejaid !

• Like 4

Titleist TSR 2  9°

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

3 hours ago, braincramp52 said:

Wish you a speedy recovery deejaid !

Thanks braincramp.  I am feeling better but still some lower back and right shoulder pain.  Hopefully just a few more weeks sidelined and I’ll be back out there.

• Like 2

Nicklaus Air Max 16.5*

Sonartec 19*

Spalding EV-A sand club

Ping ISI lob wedge

• 4 weeks later...

Today was my second round with a full set of the G425 irons.

It didn’t feel like I was hitting it that great but at the end I thought I didn’t remember chipping much so I counted and had hit 14 GIR.

There were definitely some squirrelly strikes where the outcome was surprisingly good. This iron does exactly what it says on the tin for me; good shots are still good and bad shots are less bad. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, GolfTurkey said:

13 greens today. I’m really enjoying the G425’s. Even the feel with the Modus shafts is so much better than my old irons; solid crack without it being harsh or tinny.

So glad you're liking the 425's. You deserve some good karma for the wait you went through to get them.😄

• Like 2

Titleist TSR 2  9°

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/14/2022 at 9:45 PM, Nessism said:

Bought some PXG Gen3 XP's, on clearance blowout.  No plan to replace the G's, I bought them for $hits and giggles, and variety.  Being the masochist that I am, I rebuilt them, fixing the messed up swingweight from PXG, bent them weak, and put them in play...only to find I prefer the G30's.  There's just something about these G clubs; they inspire confidence, feel great (to me anyway), are forgiving as anything, and, well, I just like them.  

So, the PXG's will move to the backup bag, for those times when I play some fancy course, instead of the country tracks I normally play.  Ping G's = blue collar clubs, for those not afraid of getting dirty.

Once a G-MAN, always a G-MAN.

😉

• Like 1

I have a friend who drives the ball like a god.  Hits his irons like a flea.  Very low, and tends to miss on the toe and his irons are all wrong for him.  I came here to read and to get some ammo to try and get him to look at the G425, he is gonna do an iron fitting as a present for himself.

I got most of the ammo I need.

However the number of "I am such a dummy for getting rid of my G series irons" only to see in their signature they are playing some other set of irons is crazy.  I guess this is WRX and I should expect it, but wow it was really funny and once again reinforced what a bunch of sickos we are.

• Like 1
  • Driver - Ping G430 Max 10k - Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI TX
  • 3 Wood - Taylormade 300 Mini 13.5 - Ventus Purple X
  • 5 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X 
  • 7 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X 
  • 4 - PW Ping BluePrint S - Recoil 110 F5
  • GW - Ping Glide 4.0s 50* - Recoil 110 F5 | Cleveland RTX6 55* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X | LW - Vokey SM9T 60* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X
  • Putters - LAB DF3 - Accra White | Odyssey Jailbird Versa Microhinge - Odyssey Tank DBOdyssey Jailbird Ai-One

I just bought a matching G425 sand wedge for my set to use more as a full swing club and pitching around the green, not really for sand since I have a Hogan Sure Out.  

Well, I went to the range short game practice area and started hitting some bunker shots with the G425 sand wedge and this thing was incredible.   I don’t know if it’s having the same shaft and feel as my irons or if it is strictly the head design, but I was popping the ball out so easily with great height.  It was an incredibly easy to play bunker club.

I never even considered a set matching sand wedge before I got my G425’s, but the surprising bunker shots combined with the ease of play for pitch shots around the green, I might just also add the lob wedge and fully embrace easy G-Man golf. 😁

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Nicklaus Air Max 16.5*

Sonartec 19*

Spalding EV-A sand club

Ping ISI lob wedge

7 hours ago, deejaid said:

I just bought a matching G425 sand wedge for my set to use more as a full swing club and pitching around the green, not really for sand since I have a Hogan Sure Out.  

Well, I went to the range short game practice area and started hitting some bunker shots with the G425 sand wedge and this thing was incredible.   I don’t know if it’s having the same shaft and feel as my irons or if it is strictly the head design, but I was popping the ball out so easily with great height.  It was an incredibly easy to play bunker club.

I never even considered a set matching sand wedge before I got my G425’s, but the surprising bunker shots combined with the ease of play for pitch shots around the green, I might just also add the lob wedge and fully embrace easy G-Man golf. 😁

Well I'm working on my next years bag (2023) which I plan on having G425 sand & Lob wedge which will mostly be full wedge shots. I also carry a Ping ChipR which I do 90% of my chipping with anyways. 

• Like 2

On 11/17/2022 at 10:00 AM, deejaid said:

I play all the way down to the SW with my G25s.  Never had a problem using it for full shots, pitches, or out of the sand.  I do have a more traditional lob wedge probably only because at the time I bought my set the most lofted club I carried was a SW.  Next set I may go full G-Man as well and get the G lob wedge!

• Like 2

Driver: Cobra Aerojet
5W: Ping G430
3H & 4H: Ping G410
5H:  Ping G
6 - GW: Ping G25

54*: Ping Glide 4.0
58*: Cleveland RTX Zipcore Full Bounce
Putter: Odyssey Tri Hot Double Wide CH Putter

Grips:  Golf Pride MCC Plus 4

Ball:  Titleist ProV1, Maxfli Tour, Taylormade TP5, PXG

I still have a set of G25s, 5 iron (bent to 24 degrees) through SW that usually get paired with some type of Eye 2 LW.  I actually wish more of the PING iron sets would offer a matching SW but I guess not much demand outside of the G range.  It (SW) is great for 3/4 to full shots (inside 100 yards) and basic chips/pitches around the green.  More or less a "12 iron."

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I have just received some Ping G Series irons, 5 through SW.

Always played blades but recently been buying older ping irons such as eye 2, ISI and Zing 2's and been loving them. Currently have the Zing 2's in my Sunday bag.

Gonna throw a half set of the G's in my Sunday bag this weekend and see how I go.

I'm in my mid 40s now and starting to struggle for overall consistency with my Hogan blades, can definitely see me switching to a set of more GI irons permanently, rather than just during the winter months

Edited by StillPlayingHoganApex99
Typo
  • Like 3

I'm back.  Always gravitate back.  Just picked up a new set of G425s - taking advantage of the price drop now that the newest Gs are out.  I considered the newer 430s - but decided the jacked lofts would require me to get an extra wedge.  And I like the look of the 425s better.

Like one reviewer said - the Ping Gs just make golf rounds way less stressful.  I'm not getting any younger - and thats where I want to be.

I will still dabble in players irons - but will keep the Gs around for sure.

This thread has to be in the running for longest ever ....   Glad to keep it rolling.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, DDJ said:

I'm back.  Always gravitate back.  Just picked up a new set of G425s - taking advantage of the price drop now that the newest Gs are out.  I considered the newer 430s - but decided the jacked lofts would require me to get an extra wedge.  And I like the look of the 425s better.

Like one reviewer said - the Ping Gs just make golf rounds way less stressful.  I'm not getting any younger - and thats where I want to be.

I will still dabble in players irons - but will keep the Gs around for sure.

This thread has to be in the running for longest ever ....   Glad to keep it rolling.

Welcome back G-MAN.

Yeah, I had no idea when I started this thread in 2014 that it would still be going almost 10 years later, but that is a testament to how strong the G series are. I am still playing mine!

Edited by ShortSticks
  • Like 2

On 11/19/2022 at 8:27 AM, agolf1 said:

I still have a set of G25s, 5 iron (bent to 24 degrees) through SW that usually get paired with some type of Eye 2 LW.  I actually wish more of the PING iron sets would offer a matching SW but I guess not much demand outside of the G range.  It (SW) is great for 3/4 to full shots (inside 100 yards) and basic chips/pitches around the green.  More or less a "12 iron."

I also play mine 5-SW with an old PING EYE 2 lob wedge for shots around the green. I like having the PW, GW and SW to feel the same as my irons. I use them for full and 3/4 shots as well as pitches and chips. Love the forgiveness they provide.

Anything around the green that requires more touch and finesse is when I use the EYE 2 LW as it has been with me forever and I can do just about anything with that club.

A lot of manufacturers (including PING) have tried to capture the magic of the original EYE 2 wedges with their Hi-Toe and full face designs, but for me none can replace the original. It is still going strong almost 40 years later.

• Like 1

The Eye2 SW and LW are amazing.  They are welcome in the G-man club, as far as I'm concerned.

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

Ok so had a few rounds with the G series, playing the evens only, 6 iron to SW. Also have my Ben Hogan 18" driving iron as well as my old faithful Odyssey Rossie II putter.

Loving the G irons but the biggest game changer for me is the G driver. 

I'm not a big believer in changing equipment (my usual gamer irons are Hogan 99 Apex) and my usual driver is the TaylorMade R7 superquad which I got fitted for back in 08 I think.

Well, I tried a friend's G425 driver and was blown away by the forgiveness and distance.

I'm from the north east of England so I'm what you would call a bit of a tight arse. I didn't want to splurge on a new current Ping driver so had a fitting and ended up walking away with a Ping G series LS Tec driver that I was hitting exactly the same distance as the Ping G425.

According to the data, I was averaging 32 yards further with the Ping G than my old R7 Superquad.

I'm 44 years old next week, who doesn't need that sort of extra distance?

As for the irons, I always use more forgiving irons in the winter than I do during the warmer months but I'm not gonna lie, I'm absolutely loving the G irons. So easy to hit and dare I say it, easy to shape?

IMG20230204201016.jpg

IMG20230204201028.jpg

• Like 2

Just put the G15's back in the bag, i played iE1's most of last year and bought and sold at least 4 sets of 2022 model irons, only to come back to these relics.

i saw the G430's today, i like the look at address. hmmm

• Like 1

Titleist Tsr2 9*

TaylorMade BRNR Mini 13.5*

PXG 0311 XF Gen 5 16*

PXG 0317X Gen 4 20.5*

Ping i210 5-P (26*-45*)

Ping iE1 50*/Ping Glide 3.0 54*/58*

Ping Fetch

2 hours ago, StillPlayingHoganApex99 said:

Ok so had a few rounds with the G series, playing the evens only, 6 iron to SW. Also have my Ben Hogan 18" driving iron as well as my old faithful Odyssey Rossie II putter.

Loving the G irons but the biggest game changer for me is the G driver. 

I'm not a big believer in changing equipment (my usual gamer irons are Hogan 99 Apex) and my usual driver is the TaylorMade R7 superquad which I got fitted for back in 08 I think.

Well, I tried a friend's G425 driver and was blown away by the forgiveness and distance.

I'm from the north east of England so I'm what you would call a bit of a tight arse. I didn't want to splurge on a new current Ping driver so had a fitting and ended up walking away with a Ping G series LS Tec driver that I was hitting exactly the same distance as the Ping G425.

According to the data, I was averaging 32 yards further with the Ping G than my old R7 Superquad.

I'm 44 years old next week, who doesn't need that sort of extra distance?

As for the irons, I always use more forgiving irons in the winter than I do during the warmer months but I'm not gonna lie, I'm absolutely loving the G irons. So easy to hit and dare I say it, easy to shape?

IMG20230204201016.jpg

IMG20230204201028.jpg

Love those G's. Those have been my primary sticks since they came out in 2016. I have been contemplating in iron change over the last couple months and testing the waters, but then I eye my bag of G's, yank one out for a waggle, and think why? I know they aren't the most popular of the G's, but they just work.

How do you find switching between these and the Hogans as far performance? Sound and feel? They are just so different.

3 hours ago, spring70 said:

Just put the G15's back in the bag, i played iE1's most of last year and bought and sold at least 4 sets of 2022 model irons, only to come back to these relics.

i saw the G430's today, i like the look at address. hmmm

Very nice. I do love my G's, but sometimes I regret selling my G15's. Those were peak industrial Ping with the no ferules and matte gunmetal grey body. So good.

5 hours ago, bifftaco said:

Love those G's. Those have been my primary sticks since they came out in 2016. I have been contemplating in iron change over the last couple months and testing the waters, but then I eye my bag of G's, yank one out for a waggle, and think why? I know they aren't the most popular of the G's, but they just work.

How do you find switching between these and the Hogans as far performance? Sound and feel? They are just so different.

I've always played forged blades and typically never liked the look of offset and thicker top lines etc but last year, I started messing around with old Ping irons.

I have no idea how or why it even started but I got a set of eye 2's and it snowballed from there. 

I picked up some Becu eye 2's, some ISI's and had a half set of Ping Zing 2's in my Sunday bag which I absolutely love and they couldn't be any further away from the Hogans.

As for the G's....they look waaay smaller than the Zing 2 irons and sit lovely behind the ball and the top line and offset appears minimal to my eye but that may be because I've been using the Zings since October.

Compared to the Hogans, they are almost 2 clubs longer due to lofts and obviously feel nowhere near as soft.

When you pure one though they still feel great and when you miss hit one, they feel nowhere near as painful as a miss hit with the Hogans.

I honestly don't see me putting the Hogans back in play which is a shame because they have served me so well but I'm getting to the point where I don't see the need to make the game any harder than it already is.

The longest iron I have in the G is a 5 iron and I typically don't get on with hybrids so might look into getting a crossover or something and go full Ping in the bag, well apart from the putter of course, I've had that since 1998 or something and that is definitely going nowhere.

• Thanks 1