G-MEN UNITE

ShortSticks

1 hour ago, philly2kuk said:

Well apparently my five wood still counts. I thought this group was related to G irons only.

Us G Men are a very inclusive people, anyone with a G affiliation is welcome.

• Like 1

Ping G425 12* set at the little - with a tour 2.0 65 stiff shaft

Callaway Steelhead III 18* 5W

Callaway Big Bertha Warbird 21* 7W

Ping G30 4-W, U, and S irons 

Ping Tour 60* wedge

Ping Karsten Craz-E putter

15 hours ago, philly2kuk said:

Well apparently my five wood still counts. I thought this group was related to G irons only.

Me too!😁 Hell, I guess I've been a G-man for over 35 years. I just got a new G430 driver, 5 & 7 wood, and 3,4, & 6 hybrids at the end of year as a retirement gift to myself. And if Ping ever makes a G series iron that feel as good as my PXG XP's, I'll get those.

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

3 hours ago, Nessism said:

All are welcome in the G club.  You get a star by your name for using the irons, though.  They are the foundation of our belief stream!  

That said, last weekend I pulled out my G425 PW for an approach shot, and couldn't help but notice that it lacks that shovely goodness of the older G's.  It ain't no sleek beauty queen, mind you, but they did away with much of the offset, and the blade looks, almost, too conventional.  I hope Ping doesn't totally abandon the formula that made the G's so legendary, in their quirky sort of way.

You won’t like the g430 then Ness. It’s lost that shovely goodness but is sat somewhere in between now. Bar hitting it higher, it went only marginally further than my g410 but with less spin. Wasn’t a fan as I regularly play in wind.

Edited by philly2kuk

Titleist TSR2 10 set at 11 Hzrdus Red CB
Titleist TSI2 16.5 Tensei Blue

Ping G 17.5 set at 18.5 Ping tour shaft.
Titleist TS3 hybrid 21 Tensei Blue
Taylormade 2023 p790 5-PW kbs tour lite
Vokey SM9 50°/12° SM8 56°/14° and SM9 60°/10°
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport two
Taylormade TP5x

[i]Remember there are no pictures on a scorecard, only a number. [/i]

Bag update.

G425 SFT 5w was replaced with G430 SFT 5w last week.

So now I am rocking

G430 Max Driver 10.5, 430 sft 5w and 7w

Exotics 5h (just can't seem to ever knock this hybrid out with a Ping) not for lack of trying lol

G425 6-UW

Glide 4.0 SW

CBX FullFace 2 60*

Ping 2023 Anser D Putter

I think the 430 max 10.5 is going to be replaced with the 10K 12*.  I launch it higher but with the same spin so it just carries forever.  

• Like 2

Ping G430 Max 10.5 Tensei Orange AV Raw 55 Reg

Ping G430 SFT 5w 19* Alta Black Reg

Ping G430 SFT 7w 23* Alta Black Reg

Tour Edge Xrail 5h 26* Graphite Design G-Series Reg

Ping G425 6-UW Alta Slate Reg

Ping Glide 4.0 56* WS Nippon Z-115

Cleveland CBX Full Face 2 60* DG Spinner

Cleveland Smart Sole C 4.0 

Ping 2023 Anser D

Handicap: 8.2

496 rounds on my G410 irons.    No real wear showing.  I don't see a need to even consider a new set at this point.  Second set of grips will last a while yet. 

• Like 4

Driver: Titleist  Tsi2
FW's: Callaway Rogue 4w
Hybrids: X2 Hot 3&4
Irons: Ping G410 Reg Graphite 5-UW
Wedges: Callaway MD3 56
Handicap 9
Putter: Zing2 BeCu among others

15 minutes ago, erock9174 said:

Bag update.

G425 SFT 5w was replaced with G430 SFT 5w last week.

So now I am rocking

G430 Max Driver 10.5, 430 sft 5w and 7w

Exotics 5h (just can't seem to ever knock this hybrid out with a Ping) not for lack of trying lol

G425 6-UW

Glide 4.0 SW

CBX FullFace 2 60*

Ping 2023 Anser D Putter

I think the 430 max 10.5 is going to be replaced with the 10K 12*.  I launch it higher but with the same spin so it just carries forever.  

I’ve been lurking at G’s last day or two. That’s a bag I could get along with minus the hybrid. I just don’t get along with them. Pings are definitely durable irons.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Nessism said:

All are welcome in the G club.  You get a star by your name for using the irons, though.  They are the foundation of our belief stream!  

That said, last weekend I pulled out my G425 PW for an approach shot, and couldn't help but notice that it lacks that shovely goodness of the older G's.  It ain't no sleek beauty queen, mind you, but they did away with much of the offset, and the blade looks, almost, too conventional.  I hope Ping doesn't totally abandon the formula that made the G's so legendary, in their quirky sort of way.

Been thinking about it.... going to pick up a G700-710 set for future use, just get em with regular Recoil shafts. Should still be good to go in 5-7 years and I ain't getting any younger. GOLD STAR you will be mine. ☺

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Ghostwedge said:

Been thinking about it.... going to pick up a G700-710 set for future use, just get em with regular Recoil shafts. Should still be good to go in 5-7 years and I ain't getting any younger. GOLD STAR you will be mine. ☺

Future proofing. I like it. I’ve already gone to lighter shafts with my iron change so maybe I should get some G series with recoils ready for when I come back to reclaim my gold star.

• Like 1

Taylormade TP5x

• 3 weeks later...

I think I’m downgrading to associate G-man.  I’ve been testing the PXG’s I picked up versus my G30’s and the 211’s have been about 3-5 yards longer with a much tighter dispersion. Will test for another few days but they are definitely in the lead.

As a weird side note, I’m able to get up over 300 bounces on the sand wedge before I drop it. Been able to do this a few times now. What makes it weird to me is that I’ve never been able to get higher than mid 30’s with my G30 sand wedge. My first thought was that I was just getting better at this little trick and went back to the G30 and couldn’t get past 35 bounces. Don’t know what, if anything, it means but it has my mind wondering why.

Ping Tour 60* wedge

44 minutes ago, BCULAW said:

I am looking to buy a set of g425s. Love the way they play, but not keen on the feel. Does anything soften them up?  I had a set of g410s with cushin inserts that felt great. Might the inserts help?

As much as I’m a fan of all things Ping irons, the G425 iron was a no go. Even with a lower compression ball (Tour Response), it felt “poor” at best. 

TM Brnr Mini Driver 13.5(12)

TM RBZ Stage2 3Hy 

TM RBX Stage2 4Hy

Ping G410 5-U

Ping Glide 3.0 SS 52/56

Ping Sigma G Craz-e. 

8 hours ago, BCULAW said:

I am looking to buy a set of g425s. Love the way they play, but not keen on the feel. Does anything soften them up?  I had a set of g410s with cushin inserts that felt great. Might the inserts help?

Friend of mine has G425's with graphite.  He'll let me hit one from time to time, on the course.  With a soft ball (QStar) the other day, still didn't feel good.

I've also hit his G20 set that he had previously, with CSLite steel, they felt considerably better.

Personally, if I wind up trying a G series, I will be looking G400 or earlier, for this reason.

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

On 2/21/2024 at 7:53 PM, Nessism said:

Reshafted the G425's with Accra ICWT 2.0 95S shafts.  I don't seem able to leave well enough alone.  

These are constant weight shafts, which I like, and the price was much better than Recoil's, or similar, these days.  Downside, the logo's are "busy" (to be kind).  Oh well.  

These shafts have enough tip section to allow fine-tuning the flex, but I put them straight in at F4 flex, which is Accra's stiff.  They are a soft stiff, if my hand flex testing is any judge.  Information from Accra suggests they are intended to be taper pointed for taper tip heads.  In the case of these modern Ping's, though, they slipped straight in with no taper needed.  The Ping hosel is more or less .370 these days, or maybe a smig less.  Anyway, they fit nicely, and are much more snug than common .355 shafts in a modern Ping hosel.

The swingweights came out within a point or so of the AWT shafts previously installed.  They may still be a smig light, but I'm going to let them fly for now.  I see where china sells toe screws for about $3-$4 each, so the worst case, I'll order some.  

Edit: bought some 14g toe weights from Monarch Golf.  Between those, and moving around heavy stock screws in the set, I got swingweight up to D2-D4, within the set, while using heavier than stock 55g grips.  Can't wait to hit them...

How are you liking the new shafts? Got some ACCRA ICWT 95s on the way. 

PING G430 MAX 10K DRIVER w/ACCRA TZX 255

PING G430 MAX 3W w/ACCRA FX 2.0 200F

PING G425 MAX 7W w/ACCRA FX 2.0 200F

PING G425 5H w/ACCRA FX 2.0 200H

PING G425 6H w/ACCRA FX 2.0 200H

PING G425 6-SW w/ACCRA ICWT 95

PING GLIDE 4.0 60-10S w/ACCRA 105i

LAB LINK.1 w/LAB x ACCRA or

PING ZING 2 PLD CUSTOM (Just in case) 

7 minutes ago, Nelson.br.1515 said:

How are you liking the new shafts? Got some ACCRA ICWT 95s on the way. 

Love them.  Only negative, is the graphics.  I put a piece of 1" wide electrical tape over the graphics as visible on the top edge.  Standard electrical tape is 3/4" wide, so I ordered a special roll just for that purpose...

• Like 1

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

On 2/16/2024 at 12:07 PM, BirdieRoll said:

Season 12 with my G25 irons right around the corner!

I've been looking through on-line sites to buy a 'new' set of older irons, focusing on Pings. So many good and highly regarded irons past and present to choose from -- but my mind keeps coming back to these. I can *read* what others feel and think about the i200s or the S55s or the iBlades or the Ansers etc, but as an old G-man myself, I *know* what the G25s will give me, i.e., the comfort, security, true forgiveness for a multitude of mistakes, and long-lasting reliability and durability that I seek in my golf-iron relationship -- at least when I'm in my sane mind, and not thinking I can whore around like some latter-day rock star!  

Edited by PeterJP

6 hours ago, NRJyzr said:

Friend of mine has G425's with graphite.  He'll let me hit one from time to time, on the course.  With a soft ball (QStar) the other day, still didn't feel good.

I've also hit his G20 set that he had previously, with CSLite steel, they felt considerably better.

Personally, if I wind up trying a G series, I will be looking G400 or earlier, for this reason.

The G400 felt bad too, not near as good as the G's or G15's that I had.

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

22 minutes ago, Bad9 said:

The G400 felt bad too, not near as good as the G's or G15's that I had.

That's especially interesting seeing the reviews that specifically mention the G400 feel being better than the G410 and G425.

My main beef with the G20 and G25 is the loft progression.  There are far too many 3* gaps in those.  I suppose they could be sent to Ping to tweak the lofts...

Edited by NRJyzr

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

17 minutes ago, NRJyzr said:

That's especially interesting seeing the reviews that specifically mention the G400 feel being better than the G410 and G425.

My main beef with the G20 and G25 is the loft progression.  There are far too many 3* gaps in those.  I suppose they could be sent to Ping to tweak the lofts...

Maybe its a sign of just how bad the feel of the 410 and 425 actually is 😀

• Like 1

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

9 minutes ago, Bad9 said:

Maybe its a sign of just how bad the feel of the 410 and 425 actually is 😀

It's crazy, because I had a set of G410s that felt OUTSTANDING.  I mean, they felt really good and this is coming from a forged blade guy.  I have tried multiple sets of 410s and 425s since and cannot stand the way they feel!  I don't know what the secret sauce with the one set was!!!

1 minute ago, BCULAW said:

It's crazy, because I had a set of G410s that felt OUTSTANDING.  I mean, they felt really good and this is coming from a forged blade guy.  I have tried multiple sets of 410s and 425s since and cannot stand the way they feel!  I don't know what the secret sauce with the one set was!!!

I had two separate sets of G400's and hated them both. I have always played cast stainless cavities so it's not like I was predisposed to hate them. Broke even selling the first set but took a bath on the second.

I always thought my g410s felt good for a cast cavity. Don’t get me wrong, they weren’t forged iron soft but they were alright with a pro v1.

Edited by philly2kuk
  • Like 2

Taylormade TP5x

OK, I’m back, maybe never left…today was the day I needed to get my mind straight. Been testing PXG 211 vs. my G30’s and the PXG’s were winning, however I’ve been swinging it very well after 4 months off. Today I was not swinging it well at all, just one of those days that we all have where nothing feels right. My misses with the PXG’s were awful and when I missed using my G30’s it didn’t really get punished too badly. This was the reminder I needed that I NEED the extra help/forgiveness that the Pings provided. G30 safely in the bag and PXG’s to the closet.

• Like 4

Ping Tour 60* wedge

Ok I've been a big proponent of G irons for a long time but seem to always stray. I would love some thoughts on performance between G irons and the latest I210 or I230s. Those irons have a higher MOI than most G irons. Is it a matter of the larger soles and more offset providing the extra playability?  Thoughts? 

I would honestly play the G430s if they hadn't jacked with the lofts. I can't get a landing angle greater than 45° with them. I can with 923 HLs, 923 HMP, and the i210.  I love the feel of the g430 and with a toe miss being my achilles heel they are great. Sound and feel great too. 

Let me tell you what Wooderson is packin'
Sim Max 12° Speeder NX 6s
Sim2 Max 15°
Ping G410 21° 
Ping G425 22°/25°
Ping G430 6-PW AWT Stiff
Ping Glide 3.0 GW/SW

Ping Eye 2 XG LW

I've solved the problem of poor feel with the later spring face G's: get a set of both!  In my case, G30's AND G425's.  The 30's feel better, the 425's are longer.  Variety is the spice of life!  

I'm currently playing the 425's, but I just love the old shovel goodness of the 30's.  In fact, I'm contemplating sending them to Ping for a spa treatment!  It's not like the 425's are horrible.  Geeze man.  As long as you hit them somewhere near the center of the face, they are perfectly serviceable.  

• Like 1

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

4 hours ago, Wooderson said:

Ok I've been a big proponent of G irons for a long time but seem to always stray. I would love some thoughts on performance between G irons and the latest I210 or I230s. Those irons have a higher MOI than most G irons. Is it a matter of the larger soles and more offset providing the extra playability?  Thoughts? 

I would honestly play the G430s if they hadn't jacked with the lofts. I can't get a landing angle greater than 45° with them. I can with 923 HLs, 923 HMP, and the i210.  I love the feel of the g430 and with a toe miss being my achilles heel they are great. Sound and feel great too. 

At my recent fitting I tried the g430 vs the i230 (and others). The g430 had better dispersion front to back, the I230 had better dispersion Left to Right. However, don’t let it fool you how forgiving i230 are - yes they’re forgiving for their size but they’re tiny compared to a G iron, particularly in the long irons. I’m a decent iron player and I didn’t fancy looking down on that when I hadn’t played for a few weeks like I sometimes do due to life.

I also tried the i525 as that’s kinda halfway between the two. That’s the one I’d suggest trying first for people hooked on big headed clubs.

Edited by philly2kuk

Taylormade TP5x