2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

It just me or are a lot of pros switching to Nippon Iron Shafts?

aswo3332

I was struggling with the 105 recently and went it to make sure my numbers were okay. The fitter said I got my best numbers with the 105. Only thing, he tweaked was making sure I increased my swing weight to D0. I had them installed straight in so they felt light but I got better numbers with the heavier swing weight. Unfortunately, my yoro mp 5s have ugly lead tape on them until I can get the sw changed

I was struggling with the 105 recently and went it to make sure my numbers were okay. The fitter said I got my best numbers with the 105. Only thing, he tweaked was making sure I increased my swing weight to D0. I had them installed straight in so they felt light but I got better numbers with the heavier swing weight. Unfortunately, my yoro mp 5s have ugly lead tape on them until I can get the sw changed

Let us know how the added weight works out. Maybe that was my problem I had them at D2.5 and should've had them at D4 or 5.

I wonder what prototype Nippons McGirt had in the bag?

He uses the ST in stiff, but it's a white finish.

Very interesting. Any word if Nippon will release a white finish for the Tour105?

White would be cool.

Smoke 9* GD IZ 5s
Smoke 🔹🔹🔹15* GD IZ 6s
Smoke 19*GD IZ 7s
T150's 5-PW KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 50/12F KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 54/10S KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 58/08M KBS Tour
TM Spider Tour X

Nike 006 Paul Casey Proto 
Nike 006 Rory Proto 

PRO V1 #36 or #70

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/973333-mnnikeguy-nike-oven-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

Let us know how the added weight works out. Maybe that was my problem I had them at D2.5 and should've had them at D4 or 5.

I wonder what prototype Nippons McGirt had in the bag?

He uses the ST in stiff, but it's a white finish.

Very interesting. Any word if Nippon will release a white finish for the Tour105?

White would be cool.

I usually like a lighter feel so the 105 straight in should have been good. However, I found myself losing the club head if I went after the ball. As well, I found that I had quite high spin. Almost 7400 with a 6 iron with track man. The fitter stuck some lead tape to bring it to D0 and voila, much better feel, could feel the club head more and my spin came down to around 6700. My clubs were around c7. If d4 or 5 is where you are normally at, stick some lead tape to bring it there and you may be surprised.

Tour 125 S , boooom !

Wont stop first impression but man oh man , those are really bad boys aren't they. Good Lord I love golf !

They're good if you're loyal to them!

Now that's funny! There's no loyalty in WRX!

Smoke 9* GD IZ 5s
Smoke 🔹🔹🔹15* GD IZ 6s
Smoke 19*GD IZ 7s
T150's 5-PW KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 50/12F KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 54/10S KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 58/08M KBS Tour
TM Spider Tour X

Nike 006 Paul Casey Proto 
Nike 006 Rory Proto 

PRO V1 #36 or #70

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/973333-mnnikeguy-nike-oven-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

Tour 125 S , boooom !

Wont stop first impression but man oh man , those are really bad boys aren't they. Good Lord I love golf !

They're good if you're loyal to them!

osted A minute ago

I agree. Starting to believe 'Nippon does it better' or 'Nippon feel better '.

Anyone with knowledge of NS Pro 950GH Utility ? Have a spare Adams Pro Hyd 21 head .370 to mess around

Anyone selling a spare set 4-PW tour 125 stiff ?

Cobra Fly Z +
Ping G25 3 wood
Titleist TMB 3 iron
Titleist AP2 710 4-PW
Odyssey 9 X Milled Versa

fujikura pro 60 S
fujikura pro 70 S
modus 125 S

I've been fitted for z745s with tour v 120x. But I'm coming from AP2710s with pured s400 at D9 swingweight, 38.5 5 iron. I just sold a set of 714 ap2s with modus 130s because they hit moon balls, no control on knockdowns, and flew 1/2 club shorter than the aforementioned 710s.

Would it be crazy to go to the modus 125s based on what I'm reading here? My 6 iron fitting on track man with the tour v 120 put me at 94.4 clubspeed with ~5280 spin for a carry of 190.

I shouldn't have opened this thread.

Had another extensive practice with all 3 shafts 105 X 105 S and 125 S. While the feeling with both tour 105 is good, the 125 S are just in another league. The key to me is just after the transition down. I can feel the shaft shallow-ing and accelerating itself.I don't have the same sensation with the 105 tour. As mentioned by other posters the weight can be the difference maker. The backswing with the 125 S is nice , there's no heavy feeling. I can confirm is great in windy conditions

Cobra Fly Z +
Ping G25 3 wood
Titleist TMB 3 iron
Titleist AP2 710 4-PW
Odyssey 9 X Milled Versa

fujikura pro 60 S
fujikura pro 70 S
modus 125 S

Had another extensive practice with all 3 shafts 105 X 105 S and 125 S. While the feeling with both tour 105 is good, the 125 S are just in another league. The key to me is just after the transition down. I can feel the shaft shallow-ing and accelerating itself.I don't have the same sensation with the 105 tour. As mentioned by other posters the weight can be the difference maker. The backswing with the 125 S is nice , there's no heavy feeling. I can confirm is great in windy conditions

Have you tested the 120's?

@therealping

no. I have the 125 S / 105 S / 105 X.

Following the topic and asking a couple of questions to Hokieputter and Mark I narrowed down to those shafts.

Cobra Fly Z +
Ping G25 3 wood
Titleist TMB 3 iron
Titleist AP2 710 4-PW
Odyssey 9 X Milled Versa

fujikura pro 60 S
fujikura pro 70 S
modus 125 S

I've been fitted for z745s with tour v 120x. But I'm coming from AP2710s with pured s400 at D9 swingweight, 38.5 5 iron. I just sold a set of 714 ap2s with modus 130s because they hit moon balls, no control on knockdowns, and flew 1/2 club shorter than the aforementioned 710s.

Would it be crazy to go to the modus 125s based on what I'm reading here? My 6 iron fitting on track man with the tour v 120 put me at 94.4 clubspeed with ~5280 spin for a carry of 190.

I would have suggested 125s, or possibly 125X soft-stepped. Tour V and 130 are both higher launching shafts. S400 is definetly better in the trajectory control department than both of those shafts and i think the 125 is even better. Easy to hit high/low/punch but I always had a touch too much spin with S400 and 125X I get better control. I think the 125 is extremely user friendly, I wouldn't hesitate to suggest it to a DG user.

TaylorMade Qi10 LS 9° w/ PX HZRDUS Gen4 Black 75 6.0

TaylorMade SIM ROCKET 14.5° w/ PX Handcrafted EvenFlow Black 75 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 3-19° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 4-22° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

Srixon ZU85 5 26° w/ PX RDX Smoke 100 6.5

Srixon ZX7 6-PW w/ Nippon Modus Tour125 X

Cleveland 588 RTX 52° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Srixon WG-706 56° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Scotty Cameron SSS Circle T Newport Beach w/ UST Frequency Filter

Following the topic and asking a couple of questions to Hokieputter and Mark I narrowed down to those shafts.

Ya'll don't forget we have a test forum running over in the pay-it-forward are. Currently have 125s, 125x, 120x, 120tx and I have a 105x ST Proto I'm about to send out too. Check it out and sign up. All you have to do is pay shipping to forward it to the next guy. Link to thread is in my siggy

Also, sorry I've been away lately. We had our first baby 2.5 weeks ago. So i've been offline a lot lately. WIll be back on in full swing around 6/20.

The 130's are performing well for me but I am finding they launch a little higher than I would prefer. Spin is lower so its not killing me but sometimes I'd like to see a little more controlled ball flight. I guess either way though. High launch/low spin or lower launch/higher spin. Essentially achieves the same result.

TM Qi10LS Hulk PVD 70TX

Ping G425 LST 3W/Hulk 70TX

G425 3H/Ventus 9x HY

PXG 0311 Gen 4 T/ST Combo/PX LZ 6.5

Vokey SM9 50F/54S/58M, DG Black Onyx x100

I would have suggested 125s, or possibly 125X soft-stepped. Tour V and 130 are both higher launching shafts. S400 is definetly better in the trajectory control department than both of those shafts and i think the 125 is even better. Easy to hit high/low/punch but I always had a touch too much spin with S400 and 125X I get better control. I think the 125 is extremely user friendly, I wouldn't hesitate to suggest it to a DG user.

Congratulations on the baby!

Thank you for the information.

Ya'll don't forget we have a test forum running over in the pay-it-forward are. Currently have 125s, 125x, 120x, 120tx and I have a 105x ST Proto I'm about to send out too. Check it out and sign up. All you have to do is pay shipping to forward it to the next guy. Link to thread is in my siggy

Also, sorry I've been away lately. We had our first baby 2.5 weeks ago. So i've been offline a lot lately. WIll be back on in full swing around 6/20.

Congrats on the baby Mark but trust me it is 6/2020 not 6/20/16 before your back into the swing. Lol

Congrats on the baby Mark but trust me it is 6/2020 not 6/20/16 before your back into the swing. Lol

She's not even 3 weeks old and I've played 9, 18, and 9 hole rounds and been to range 3 times.... I married well.

Yes sir you sure did. I have 2 and they just turned 1 and 3. I get to play every week and can but don't get to the range as long as they are both in bed. Guess I don't have it too bad either. All I know is it gets much better/easier when they get to be about 6 months or so, just hang in there for a couple more months and enjoy it

Can someone explain to me the difference in the Modus 120 S flex compared to the Nippon 1150 also S flex? I've got a set of MP64's with the KBS tour S flex, and after reading as much as I could about these shafts, I ordered a set of the Modus shafts. I was then having sellers remorse of my MP5's, so I ordered another set of those with the 1150's. I had the Nippon 950 in my last MP5's, and really liked them. Just trying to figure out what shaft to put into what club now. My initial thought was to put the Modus in the 5's, and then put the 1150 shaft into the 64's. Any thoughts, or suggestions, would be greatly appreciated. Just got the Modus shafts today, and the MP5's should be here sometime next week.

Went a couple of hours to my golf course with just my combo 6 iron 105 S / 7 iron 105 X and 8 iron 125 S. They all are 1/4 inch longer than the AP2 710 std length and my trim was pretty accurate. I m able to jump betweens holes because there's just a few members playing:

8 iron. drop a ball 140 m from the flag (severe downhill) and with no warm up hit a dart 3 feet from the flag. The ball will stop on the edge of the back green, 12 feet from the flag). My reaction is "lucky shot". Next, I drop a couple of balls 130 meters and hit again 2 darts on a tiny green. I then pick a soft patch of grass and hit several balls from the same spot using all 3 clubs. I can't believe to my eyes. Again.

I decide to walk to a par 3 where I know perfectly my distances. Hit 5 balls each with the 6 iron and 8 iron. Well, my 8 iron was flying at the same distance as the 6 with better dispersion ! 150 meters !

Let me tell you that distance is not my forte' and I don't really care about it. I m a control and positioning guy,but here I have both! ITour 125 S is just money for me !

Cobra Fly Z +
Ping G25 3 wood
Titleist TMB 3 iron
Titleist AP2 710 4-PW
Odyssey 9 X Milled Versa

fujikura pro 60 S
fujikura pro 70 S
modus 125 S

Mark,

First, congrats to your new baby. Second, you should never mention how many times you have already been away playing and practicing because of recent dads will hate you instantly. Third, get a club made up her. Its never too young to start, maybe a putter first. Forth is a question maybe you and/or others here can assist me with. I tend to spin the ball too much with my current irons and its producing low ball speed on my trackman. (you can see my set makeup in my signature) I was thinking of getting a new set of titlest CB/MB combo with Modus3 120s to generate more speed and bring down the spin rate. I have tried the Modus3 120s on a friends srixon 745 and I was gaining 10 to 15 yards more. What do you think?

Thanks for your help.

Wk

Titleist TSR3 Diamana White Stiff

TM Stealth2 Plus 3Wood Ventis Black Velicore S

Titleist T200U 3 and 4 iron Mitsubishi Tensei Whte 8S 

Titleist T100 5-PW AMTWhite S

Vokey SM10 50, 54, 58  AMT White

Scotty Tour Rat

PROV1 Left Dash

Mark,

First, congrats to your new baby. Second, you should never mention how many times you have already been away playing and practicing because of recent dads will hate you instantly. Third, get a club made up her. Its never too young to start, maybe a putter first. Forth is a question maybe you and/or others here can assist me with. I tend to spin the ball too much with my current irons and its producing low ball speed on my trackman. (you can see my set makeup in my signature) I was thinking of getting a new set of titlest CB/MB combo with Modus3 120s to generate more speed and bring down the spin rate. I have tried the Modus3 120s on a friends srixon 745 and I was gaining 10 to 15 yards more. What do you think?

Thanks for your help.

Wk

It is possible it was the shaft but I picked up 15 yards more with the srixon irons with the same shaft that was in my Cobra Fly Z pro's. Before the FLY Z Pro's I had the same shafts in my AP2's and all were the same distance until the srixons. You just never know which it is when it's 2 different clubs like that, but I will say I have never hit better irons than the Srixon so far. Good luck in the search and take advantage of the free upgrade on shafts/grips if Srixon is still offering it and I recommend discount dan's golf, they are so cheap right now.

Srixon irons are strong lofted, 745 are anyway, I weakened mine.....been playing 120 modus stiff and while I picked up ydg I can't elevate my long or mid irons with them, not to where I want.....I know their tip stiff, flex feels hair firm for me but not bad.....was thinking of trying 130 reg cause of soft tip but lots say their pretty stiff.......soft tip has my interest though......125 modus is heavier than all so Idk why they are listed in between.......maybe a 125 in reg, 83 mph 6 iron and low ball hitter.......love nippons though, always smooth, just about finding the right one

Late to the Nippon party but experimenting now nonetheless with 105S, 125S and 130S. Without reading through all 100+ pages, I had a couple questions. I sent these to Mark, but thought anyone else might chime in too.

Can you tell me what raw length designations Nippon recommends as a straight in installs for each iron? They offer the sets beginning at 37" all the way up to 41" raw lengths. So, in other words, let's start with the Modus 125S......is the chart I put together below correct for straight in installations? Reason is...I ordered 3 different 39.5" shafts (125S, 130S and 105S) to try as an experiment in my Cally CF 16 Apex 4 iron. Every manufacturer is different. Some designate different shafts for the PW and 9I, while others have you use the same length raw shafts for those two. Then again, Nippon's wedge shafts are all 37" so do they intend for you to begin at 37.5" for your PW and go up from there?

Based on most shaft maker's, their raw lengths are made in 1/2" increments and this is how they'd match up below. Again, my concern is......does anyone even make a designated shaft for 1 irons anymore?? Does Nippon?? If not, my match-ups would all off by one.

37.0" = PW & 9I

37.5" = 8I

38.0" = 7I

38.5" = 6I

39.0" = 5I

39.5" = 4I

40.0" = 3I

40.5" = 2I

41.0" = 1I

Unfortunately, the Golfworks employees are not any help. Again, I just wasn't sure, given that Nippon's Wedge Only shafts (105/115/125) are 37" raw blanks. If that logic and numbering scheme is followed for their full sets of iron shafts, then the 37" shaft could/would be designated for all wedges (LW, SW, GW and PW) and then the 37.5" blank would go in the 9I, 38" in the 8I, 38.5" in 7I, 39" in 6I, 39.5" in 5I, 40" in 4I, 40.5" in 3I and 41" in 2I. I just don't want to inadvertently SS 1x or 2x due to misinformed designations.

Thanks, JC

TITLEIST TSI3 9* - HZRDUS T1100 HANDMADE 6.0 
PING G410 15* - MITZ TENSEI PRO ORANGE 70X
PING G410 17* & 19* - MITZ TENSEI BLUE X & EF BLACK X
SRIXON ZX7's - 4-PW w/SPECIAL, TOUR ISSUE, BLACK KBS TOUR V 125'S
CALLAWAY PM2 54* X & 58* X - ORIGINAL PX Satin 5.5's (HSx1)
ODYSSEY STROKE LAB EXO 7S - CUSTOM

SCOTTY CAMERON 2001 TOUR ISSUE 3x CHOCOLATE NEWPORT BEACH
2017 BRIDGESTONE B330 Tour #1's & TITLEIST PRO V #1'X

All Nippon sets I have tried have discrete lengths for 9i and PW. So lengths will be .5" longer than relative TT lengths.

37= wedges

37.5= 9i

38= 8i

etc.

Mizuno ST200G 9° / Aldila Synergy Black Proto 75-TX   
TC Callaway XHot 3DEEP 13° / Graphite Design DI-10 TX

TC Callaway X2Hot 5DEEP 18.5° bent to 17° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10x

Callaway X-Forged UT 21° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10-TX

Callaway X-Forged UT 25° / Nippon Super Peening Blue X hs1x 

Raw Mizuno MP-32 6-PW / Nippon Super Peening Blue X hs1x 

Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 50.08F / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped
Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 54.12D / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped

Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 58.14K / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped
Mizuno M-Craft I Blue Ion 365g / Stability Shaft

All Nippon sets I have tried have discrete lengths for 9i and PW. So lengths will be .5" longer than relative TT lengths.

37= wedges

37.5= 9i

38= 8i

etc.

Yup, and as I replied to his PM, if you play 37" in both 9 & PW Nippon considers that hard-stepped. But it's more player prefernce for feel they said than anything. They did however see minor positive gains dispersion and slightly lower spin for Keegan when he went from 125X to 125X hardstepped.

Thx guys....appreciate the advice and info. So, from a guy coming from Tour V's in S, hardstepped 1x, the 125S hardstepped equivalent (39.5" installed in 4I) shouldn't be too stout, should it? I'd rather cut this 39.5" bad boy and install it the 4I first (= HS1x) and if it feels too stout, yank it, cut it and install it in the 5I as it's meant to be. I just don't think I'll be able to tell an accernable difference in flex but would welcome the tighter dispersion Mark spoke of.

TITLEIST TSI3 9* - HZRDUS T1100 HANDMADE 6.0 
PING G410 15* - MITZ TENSEI PRO ORANGE 70X
PING G410 17* & 19* - MITZ TENSEI BLUE X & EF BLACK X
SRIXON ZX7's - 4-PW w/SPECIAL, TOUR ISSUE, BLACK KBS TOUR V 125'S
CALLAWAY PM2 54* X & 58* X - ORIGINAL PX Satin 5.5's (HSx1)
ODYSSEY STROKE LAB EXO 7S - CUSTOM

SCOTTY CAMERON 2001 TOUR ISSUE 3x CHOCOLATE NEWPORT BEACH
2017 BRIDGESTONE B330 Tour #1's & TITLEIST PRO V #1'X

if you have time, trying the 4i frist, then yanking into 5 if too stiff is the best way.