2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

It just me or are a lot of pros switching to Nippon Iron Shafts?

aswo3332

Anyone play 125x in the 716 AP2s? I'm looking for a change and some new irons. Thanks for the help and reviews!!

I've hit the 130X in some 716's but not the 125X but I can't imagine them being all that insanely different than playing them in a different forged CB head. Absolutely love the 125X in any head I've tried it in. Currently gaming Srixon ZTX-II heads.

As noted, 125 is like DG performance with KBS feel, can't sum it up any better than that.

TaylorMade Qi10 LS 9° w/ PX HZRDUS Gen4 Black 75 6.0

TaylorMade SIM ROCKET 14.5° w/ PX Handcrafted EvenFlow Black 75 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 3-19° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 4-22° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

Srixon ZU85 5 26° w/ PX RDX Smoke 100 6.5

Srixon ZX7 6-PW w/ Nippon Modus Tour125 X

Cleveland 588 RTX 52° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Srixon WG-706 56° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Scotty Cameron SSS Circle T Newport Beach w/ UST Frequency Filter

Anyone play 125x in the 716 AP2s? I'm looking for a change and some new irons. Thanks for the help and reviews!!

I've hit the 130X in some 716's but not the 125X but I can't imagine them being all that insanely different than playing them in a different forged CB head. Absolutely love the 125X in any head I've tried it in. Currently gaming Srixon ZTX-II heads.

As noted, 125 is like DG performance with KBS feel, can't sum it up any better than that.

I have the 125X in my Vapor Pro Combos and love the shaft. Curious on the AP2 head since I hear they spin a tad more from what I've heard. Only other shaft I was gonna toy with was the PX LZ 6.5 iron shaft. But no one around has the PX to try. Have you tried the PX LZ at all? Thanks

[font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif][size=3]TM M6 9 deg.w/ Tensei Pro White 70TX[/size]
[size=3]TM SIM Ti 15deg w/ Tensei Pro White 80TX[/size]
[size=3]​TM P790 3i w/ Tensei Pro White 90TX[/size]
[size=3]TM P790 4i w/ Nippon 125X[/size]
[size=3]Srixon 765 5-PW w/ Nippon 125X[/size]
[size=3]TM Milled Grind 50deg, 54deg, and 58deg High Toe w/ Nippon 125X[/size]
[size=3]TM Spider X Copper[/size][/font]

I have the 125X in my Vapor Pro Combos and love the shaft. Curious on the AP2 head since I hear they spin a tad more from what I've heard. Only other shaft I was gonna toy with was the PX LZ 6.5 iron shaft. But no one around has the PX to try. Have you tried the PX LZ at all? Thanks

I know, been dying to try the LZ 6.0 and 6.5 but haven't seen any around. May just have to order a 6i shaft to try.

I know, been dying to try the LZ 6.0 and 6.5 but haven't seen any around. May just have to order a 6i shaft to try.

Dang it, may just order them with PX LZ and if I don't like them I will just pull my nippons and put them in. It wasn't a crazy upcharge.

[font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif][size=3]TM M6 9 deg.w/ Tensei Pro White 70TX[/size]

I just ordered a set with LZ 6.0, but if I don't like them I'm going with Modus 125 Stiff.

I don't really think you can go wrong with either set!

Smoke 9* GD IZ 5s
Smoke 🔹🔹🔹15* GD IZ 6s
Smoke 19*GD IZ 7s
T150's 5-PW KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 50/12F KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 54/10S KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 58/08M KBS Tour
TM Spider Tour X

Nike 006 Paul Casey Proto 
Nike 006 Rory Proto 

PRO V1 #36 or #70

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/973333-mnnikeguy-nike-oven-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

Mark, you have helped me a ton over the last year with my Nippon switch. I am currently gaming Prototype C10 in X flex SSx1... Well my 7iron broke today :( would it be safe to say my best bet replacing is a 120tx? Or do you have a better suggestion?

Ouch! That is the #1 problem/fear with playing prototype iron shafts IMO is when the worst happens and you break a middle iron shaft. I had one of the first ever sets of PX satins back in like 2002/2003 and the 6i bent when a kid stepped on it and then the 7i snapped.

Man, i don't know what to tell you. I dont think I could play a set with a random shaft in the middle iron unless for some reason you play like 4/5 hybrids and 6i is the longest iron?

First option that comes to mind is maybe trying a SPB X. 125 is basically a copy of the SPB but lighter, so the SPB would be more in line with the weight of the C10 and has that heavier feel.

Another option might be to find a 125X and hardstep, maybe twice. I think the 125 is closer to the C10 than 120 (This thought should have been before the line above.) I have played 125, C10, 2S14 extensively and to me the only difference is weight. 125 lightest, C10 next and 2S14 heaviest. E11 and 2T15 was supposed to be kind of similar too. But I don't know enough of the nuances to tell what might be the closest.

Another option could be to double soft-step your PW-8i up to be 9-7i and then find a new C10X wedge shaft. Or the other way, go back to straight in for 6-3i, now 7-4i and find something else for the 3i. Maybe a 125X in the 3i. C10X wedges are hard to come buy nowadays. I have had a few PM's looking from them. They were too stiff for me and I gave a few to my buddies. I have a few of my private stock C10 S wedges still that aren't going anywhere!!!

120, even in TX, has a definitive snap to it at the transition where the shaft is softer in the butt. More of a DG feel. C10 is more solid feeling in the grip and during that transition really holds strong.

I know Nippon doesn't have anymore. They purged their prototype stuff a while back. You could buy a new set of C10X and have the rest as back up shafts or for running trials in new heads. Or watch for that random 6i shaft on eBay and call it close enough. There is a Cleveland TA5 right now with a Stiff flex 5i shaft, looks to be one of the original prototypes but thats gonna be too soft and softstepping further going from 5 to 7i.

I just ordered a set with LZ 6.0, but if I don't like them I'm going with Modus 125 Stiff.

I don't really think you can go wrong with either set!

I'll know in 1 to 3 swings if the PX is smooth like the Nippon or not. If it is smoother than normal PX then it comes down to performance/ballflight. The LZ sounds so similar to the 125 but I gotta hit them side by side to see and feel for myself. It's gonna be hard to get 125 out of my bag for sure. Went -3 for 9 holes Saturday with some absolute darts into the greens. I'm more interested in trying LZ so I can add it to the database in my brain of steel shafts and how they feel/perform.

Mark, you have helped me a ton over the last year with my Nippon switch. I am currently gaming Prototype C10 in X flex SSx1... Well my 7iron broke today :( would it be safe to say my best bet replacing is a 120tx? Or do you have a better suggestion?

Ouch! That is the #1 problem/fear with playing prototype iron shafts IMO is when the worst happens and you break a middle iron shaft. I had one of the first ever sets of PX satins back in like 2002/2003 and the 6i bent when a kid stepped on it and then the 7i snapped.

Man, i don't know what to tell you. I dont think I could play a set with a random shaft in the middle iron unless for some reason you play like 4/5 hybrids and 6i is the longest iron?

First option that comes to mind is maybe trying a SPB X. 125 is basically a copy of the SPB but lighter, so the SPB would be more in line with the weight of the C10 and has that heavier feel.

Another option might be to find a 125X and hardstep, maybe twice. I think the 125 is closer to the C10 than 120 (This thought should have been before the line above.) I have played 125, C10, 2S14 extensively and to me the only difference is weight. 125 lightest, C10 next and 2S14 heaviest. E11 and 2T15 was supposed to be kind of similar too. But I don't know enough of the nuances to tell what might be the closest.

Another option could be to double soft-step your PW-8i up to be 9-7i and then find a new C10X wedge shaft. Or the other way, go back to straight in for 6-3i, now 7-4i and find something else for the 3i. Maybe a 125X in the 3i. C10X wedges are hard to come buy nowadays. I have had a few PM's looking from them. They were too stiff for me and I gave a few to my buddies. I have a few of my private stock C10 S wedges still that aren't going anywhere!!!

120, even in TX, has a definitive snap to it at the transition where the shaft is softer in the butt. More of a DG feel. C10 is more solid feeling in the grip and during that transition really holds strong.

I know Nippon doesn't have anymore. They purged their prototype stuff a while back. You could buy a new set of C10X and have the rest as back up shafts or for running trials in new heads. Or watch for that random 6i shaft on eBay and call it close enough. There is a Cleveland TA5 right now with a Stiff flex 5i shaft, looks to be one of the original prototypes but thats gonna be too soft and softstepping further going from 5 to 7i.

Thanks Mark! I went with a 125X replacement and since my C10 shafts were soft stepped hopefully it is close enough in profile and weight at 129.5 grams straight in. I just hope that 7 -8 gram difference doesn't throw me off!

how would the modus tour125 stiff compare to a px 6.0 flighted in terms of launch and spin?

Titleist 910D2 (10.5) Fujikura Speeder 661 Evo II X
Titleist 910Fd (13.5) Oban Kiyoshi Gold 75 04
Titleist 910F (17.0) Diamana Ahina 80S  

Adams 9031 (20) ATTAS Elements Proto RK 100X 

Callaway X-Prototype (4-PW) PX 6.0
Vokey SM8 (52F, 60M) DG S400 
Odyssey White Hot #7 XG 

how would the modus tour125 stiff compare to a px 6.0 flighted in terms of launch and spin?

Flighted sets are designed to hit the ball high in long irons, mid in mid irons and lower in short irons. Rifle Flighted has a bit of a softer butt than the usual PX and is about .5 flex softer. Tough to compare a flighted set to non. 125 is more like the PX LZ than the Flighted sets. 125 will have a softer middle and feel easier to load. Maybe a PX /PX Flighted expert or someone with extensive experience with both can answer. I am not well versed in PX Flighted. I played PX for like 3 years and now 125 for 1.5 years.

I'm currently playing the 125x right now, but it's starting to launch too low and I'm loading it harder than I believe the shaft is willing to handle, if it's possible. It's just launching too low for my swing speed and it spins way too much now, my 6i ss is 97 and I'm only hitting it 185. I hit my friends PX 6.5 and it just fly higher, spins less and goes about a club and a half longer. I am not sure what I should do to proceed with what I'm going to need in my irons now.

Callaway Mavrik SZ 9.0° • MCA Diamana ZF 60TX
Titleist TS3 15.0° • MCA Diamana D+ 80X
Titleist 818H2 19° • Accra FX 300H M4, Tipped 1"
Callaway Apex Pro19 (4-Pw) • PX 6.0
Callaway MD5 • 50.10S, 54.10S, 59.09C • PX 6.0
SIK Pro C 33” • Titleist Left Dash ProV1x

I just ordered a set of modus 125 Stiff for my s55's. I'm anxious to get them installed and try them out. A lot of good info here and thanks to all who contribute.

Please let me know how you like them in the S55's. I've been thinking of putting some 125's in S55's or iBlades. Thx!

My good buddy was just bugging me about some 125S's the other night in regards to S55 or wait for iBlades...

I'm currently playing the 125x right now, but it's starting to launch too low and I'm loading it harder than I believe the shaft is willing to handle, if it's possible. It's just launching too low for my swing speed and it spins way too much now, my 6i ss is 97 and I'm only hitting it 185. I hit my friends PX 6.5 and it just fly higher, spins less and goes about a club and a half longer. I am not sure what I should do to proceed with what I'm going to need in my irons now.

Have you tried the 130X?

Wondering if the shaft isn't unloading properly of if you, like I, get a little steep when we overswing? Delofted face at impact and assumed low smash factor could be causing you to hit it lower and shorter. I have also experienced this when I really try to get into one it will sort of work the opposite on me. I have to concentrate not making too steep of a swing. Generally when I try to hit it really hard I dip a little bit and hit with a big descending blow which adds spin and delofts the club. When I focus on staying level and hitting it 0° to + AoA I get the high long flight I wanted. But I have definitely experienced and saw what you mean.

130X was a much stiffer shaft and I hit it higher than 125X but with lower spin. 130S was just a hair soft for me to swing really hard and 130X was just a hair too stiff for me to not swing hard. 130X is similar to the PX 6.5, maybe more like a 7.0+ but sounds like you may need something with a firmer midsection and softer tip to help elevate the ball and properly load/unload the shaft with the right mid-section stiffness.

You may have to switch to PX or 130X if you want to stick with Nippon smoothness. PX was always a bit harsh on my elbows. Depends on the swing but My experience is stiffer goes higher. It's not the same for everyone so you really have to try it out. DGX7 for example I launched very high. S300 I launch extremely low but with very high spin. So you have to test.

Have you tried the 130X?

As a matter of fact, I just sold mine. Lol.

Callaway Mavrik SZ 9.0° • MCA Diamana ZF 60TX
Titleist TS3 15.0° • MCA Diamana D+ 80X
Titleist 818H2 19° • Accra FX 300H M4, Tipped 1"
Callaway Apex Pro19 (4-Pw) • PX 6.0
Callaway MD5 • 50.10S, 54.10S, 59.09C • PX 6.0
SIK Pro C 33” • Titleist Left Dash ProV1x

this thread is on page 108, what is going on?

question- i have steelfiber 110 stiff and was wondering what modus shaft i should demo? tmb irons

Driver- TITLEIST TSr2 10° AD-HD 6s
3 Wood- TITLEIST TSi2 15° AD-DI 7s
Hybrid- TITLEIST TSr2 21° AD-HY 75s

Irons- SRIXON Zx5 Modus 105s
Wedges- CLEVELAND RTX-6 50/54/58 Tour Spinner 
Putter- PING  PLD Ally Blue 4

Ball- BRIDGESTONE Tour B X

this thread is on page 108, what is going on?

question- i have steelfiber 110 stiff and was wondering what modus shaft i should demo? tmb irons

Tour105 S or Tour120 S/X. Judging by WITB siggy I'd say 120X, possibly soft-stepped once.

I thought i would throw in my 2 cents as i've been playing nippon shafts for quite a while and currently have 2 sets of modus 105 S installed in 2 sets of irons. Both sets are built to the same swing weight but one is soft stepped while the other is straight in. I know people say that it's hard to feel the difference if you soft/hard step once, but i can assure you, that with the 105, you can feel the difference. I personally like the feel of the modus 105 soft stepped. I can feel the kick more and get better numbers with it soft stepped.

Brand new to shaft conversation. Would love some introductory reading links, and not opposed to some arm chair recommendations from the gallery. I'm not good (16.4 hcp) but I care and want to learn. I hit '93 Hogan Fort Worths (nothing feels like them ...) with TTDG x100 (tried AMT in my 2 iron but that was a disaster; s400 in wedges, which seem right). Big issue is low irons. I can't adjust to hybrids and love low irons, so the 2-3 stay in bag. Would anyone recommend a shaft that would help launch and accuracy? Any advice appreciated (assuming I'm too dumb or too stubborn to learn how to hit the hybrids). Thanks in advance! -Joe

So right, this one's on Mark. :) Picked up a new-ish set of Vapor Pro Combos with the 120x. I was looking for a clean back up set as I really like these irons and picked up a like new set 4-w for $450.

Titleist TSR4 9° Fujikura Ventus VC Red 5S

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

Ordered new clubs and gonna do a shaft swap when I get them. Have the 125X in 3-GW. I have the 125wedge shaft in my 54 and 58. I like the wedge125 in my 58 but not so much in my 54. So I ordered from golf works a 125X iron shaft to put in my 54. I order the 37" length shaft from them. Will that be ok? Thanks

Ordered new clubs and gonna do a shaft swap when I get them. Have the 125X in 3-GW. I have the 125wedge shaft in my 54 and 58. I like the wedge125 in my 58 but not so much in my 54. So I ordered from golf works a 125X iron shaft to put in my 54. I order the 37" length shaft from them. Will that be ok? Thanks

I love the 125X iron shaft in my GW. Really feels great and seemless from the iron transition. I usually hit my GW full so it's more of a usual full swing. My SW is my short range weapon so it rarely sees full swings. So changing that up to a different shaft makes sense. Also the 125X in the GW is a bit lower spinning and I like it that way as I use it for bump n runs without worrying too much it's going to grab on me early and end up short.

I love the 125X iron shaft in my GW. Really feels great and seemless from the iron transition. I usually hit my GW full so it's more of a usual full swing. My SW is my short range weapon so it rarely sees full swings. So changing that up to a different shaft makes sense. Also the 125X in the GW is a bit lower spinning and I like it that way as I use it for bump n runs without worrying too much it's going to grab on me early and end up short.

I felt the 125 wedge shaft just felt to heavy when I would use it for full swings w/ my 54. full swings it was to spiny and I felt I lost distance. So my thinking was the iron 125X iron shaft in the 54 and keep the wedge125 in the 58. It's only a few grams difference but hopefully the balance will feel better. My 54 I use 3/4 to full swings with it. I really like the iron shaft in the GW so I was thinking if it feels good in the 50 why not in the 54.