2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

It just me or are a lot of pros switching to Nippon Iron Shafts?

aswo3332

How? How is this thread still going?

Because this is a very unique shaft with different playing characteristics, not just weight. People come to the thread for information and opinions of a high quality, lesser known shaft that is difficult to find to demo. Based on information I found here I went with Modus 120TX. Since then I've been able to try Modus 130, because i traditionally liked heavier shafts, and disliked them. Very different shafts, not just weight. Balance and bend profile are on opposite ends of the spectrum.

And also because people come into the thread to make useless comments...

Because this is a very unique shaft with different playing characteristics, not just weight. People come to the thread for information and opinions of a high quality, lesser known shaft that is difficult to find to demo. Based on information I found here I went with Modus 120TX. Since then I've been able to try Modus 130, because i traditionally liked heavier shafts, and disliked them. Very different shafts, not just weight. Balance and bend profile are on opposite ends of the spectrum.

How did you like the 120TX, what would you compare it to?

Callaway Paradym TD 8*/HZRDUS GEN4 Black Limited Edition 60TX

Ping G425 LST 3W/Hulk 70TX

G425 3H/Ventus 9x HY

PXG 0311 Gen 4 T/ST Combo/PX LZ 6.5

Vokey SM9 50F/54S/58M, DG Black Onyx x100

How did you like the 120TX, what would you compare it to?

Love the 120TX, but I may be the minority? It'sa very different shaft. I've always liked tip stiff, tip heavy shafts. Gives me a similar flight to C-taper X but with a great feel. Also, has some kick so I don't feel like I have to swing hard to make it work. Actually, the softer and smoother I swing the better it performs. Forces me to swing within myself and not out of my shoes. Can let the club do the work. Never had a problem with ballooning. Tried 125 and 130 in S in Srixon 745 demo, but just didn't seem to work as well for me. Itching to try X7's just to tinker and ho, but probably won't. Just really comfortable with 120's in my MP54's. MP55/66/5 combo sounds really good though...

There is no way to hard step a wedge so you would technically be soft stepping. It will raise the flight/launch a touch but prob not enough to make a difference. I would just pick up a 120s wedge shaft, install and butt cut. The other option that some have done is go to a 120x 8 iron and install and butt cut, this should bring the flight down and spin a touch more. If it were me I would stick with the 120s iron pitching wedge shaft if you are hitting 120s now

Does a 120 "wedge" shaft even exist? I play the 120 stiff and didn't see it on the Nippon website. I only saw references to the 105, 115, and 125. Assuming there isn't such a thing as a 120W... what's likely to be the better option for me:

1. 120 PW stiff flex (butt trim only) as suggested above
  2. 120 8-iron in x-stiff flex(butt trim only)
  3. 125 Wedge in stiff flex
  4. Something else?

Main issue is a distance gap between my iron set's 47* PW and the rest of my wedges. 47*carries nearly 130yds while the 50* wedge goes a mere 105yds. Maybe 110yds if I try to nuke it. BTW, there's only 10yd gap between the 50* and 56*. Had lofts checked already so I'm thinking the shafts might be responsible for the distance gap.

Edit: Also want to make sure the SW is at least D4 and total weight is at least on par with most OEM specs. Makes me think a lighter shaft is a definite no go.

917 D2 8.50* - Tensei CK Pro White 60
917 F2 13.5* - Rogue Max 70
816 H2 19.0* - D+ Plus 90
716 T-MB (3i, 4i) - Modus 120
716 CB (5-PW) - Modus 120
Hogan TK15 - 49, 55
Edel Deschutes

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1457364-pitchinwedges-witb/page__p__15152218#entry15152218"][color=#0000ff][b]Photo WITB[/b][/color][/url]

There is no way to hard step a wedge so you would technically be soft stepping. It will raise the flight/launch a touch but prob not enough to make a difference. I would just pick up a 120s wedge shaft, install and butt cut. The other option that some have done is go to a 120x 8 iron and install and butt cut, this should bring the flight down and spin a touch more. If it were me I would stick with the 120s iron pitching wedge shaft if you are hitting 120s now

Does a 120 "wedge" shaft even exist? I play the 120 stiff and didn't see it on the Nippon website. I only saw references to the 105, 115, and 125. Assuming there isn't such a thing as a 120W... what's likely to be the better option for me:

4. Something else?

Main issue is a distance gap between my iron set's 47* PW and the rest of my wedges. 47*carries nearly 130yds while the 50* wedge goes a mere 105yds. Maybe 110yds if I try to nuke it. BTW, there's only 10yd gap between the 50* and 56*. Had lofts checked already so I'm thinking the shafts might be responsible for the distance gap.

Edit: Also want to make sure the SW is at least D4 and total weight is at least on par with most OEM specs. Makes me think a lighter shaft is a definite no go.

Yes, there is a Modus 120 wedge length shaft that matches the rest ofthe set, but there isn't a 120 weight shaft in the Modus wedge series. I personally don't like wedge specific shafts in my wedges, except maybe my lob wedge, they feel too soft and loose on full swings. I have Modus 120TX in my irons/wedges 3-LW and love them. Keep them all consistent.

I just switched from DGTIX1 to Mod3 tour 120 stiff. Night and day. i was never able to get the ball speed i was look for and the result was i was loosing a lot of distance even with my fast SS. As a WRX guy I swing pretty fast, hahaha. Anyway with the NS pro Mod3 I was able to at times produce hight than optimal ball speed on the trackman 4.0 resulting in greater distance with easier swing. Best move i have made. I only wish I tried them years ago.

Wk

How fast? The 120 play soft to flex, most people jump straight to X.

If you are familiar with trackman there is a screen where you can optimize your swing for each club which has a barometer for optimal carry. with the DGTI i was alway below the blue bar that would indicate best ball speed for the swing and now I am consistently at the top end or above it. Higher ball speed equates to greater distance. If you want to know on the mizuno shaft optimizer the 6 iron was at 92mph.

Wk

Interesting, I've been on trackman ~30 times and I've never seen that. Will have to look for it next time.

Ping/Epon/Scratch/Bettinardi WITB Link

4. Something else?

Most wedge heads are heavier so getting to d4 shouldn't be a problem. When I first built my wedges with Steel fiber 110's we got them to d7, they were a 1/2" long so I believe that is 3 SW points so without the extra length they still would have been d4 and the modus are a little heavier I believe. Getting to d4 shouldn't be a problem at all.

Just ordered the 120 modus3 in stiff for my 6i&9i. What wedge shaft would u guys recommend in my 52, 56, 60 to order 105, 115 or 125?

Rogue 10.5* GDIZ 55s
Rogue 17* GDIZ 75s
Titleist H1 3H GDDI 85s
PXG GEN6 0311P 5-GW Aerotech SteelFiber Private Reserve 110S
Vokey SM6 54-S, 58-M NS Pro Modus 105S
Toulon Austin Stroke Lab 34" Putter Pistol Grip

Chrome Soft/ProV1 

Personally, I'd go with the wedge length in the Modus³ 120 <shrug>

The caveat being, I'm not a particular fan of dedicated wedge shafts. ;)

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

I just switched from DGTIX1 to Mod3 tour 120 stiff. Night and day. i was never able to get the ball speed i was look for and the result was i was loosing a lot of distance even with my fast SS. As a WRX guy I swing pretty fast, hahaha. Anyway with the NS pro Mod3 I was able to at times produce hight than optimal ball speed on the trackman 4.0 resulting in greater distance with easier swing. Best move i have made. I only wish I tried them years ago.

Wk

If you are familiar with trackman there is a screen where you can optimize your swing for each club which has a barometer for optimal carry. with the DGTI i was alway below the blue bar that would indicate best ball speed for the swing and now I am consistently at the top end or above it. Higher ball speed equates to greater distance. If you want to know on the mizuno shaft optimizer the 6 iron was at 92mph.

Wk

What were the rest of your numbers on the shaft optimizer?

If anyone is looking for a set of 125 stiff, I'm probably going to have a set of 5-PW plus three Modus 125 wedge shafts on BST in a few days. I LOVE the feel of them, but from a dispersion standpoint, they just can't knock out my Tour V 110s (which I was fit into). Wanted to give those of you who are on this thread a heads up first. If you want any info, PM me. If not, keep a eye on BST toward the middle of next week.

Or ... if you have some 130 stiffs that play +1/2 that you want to swap, I might be interested in that also.

Ping G425 Max 9*, Aldila Rogue White 70s

Titleist TS3 4 wood, Diamana Kal’li 70s

New Level 902 PD, PX 6.5

Mizuno S18 50*, PX 6.5

Cleveland CBX2 54*, DG s400 TI

Callaway MD4 58*, DG s400 

Odyssey White Hot OG 7CH

Just ordered the 120 modus3 in stiff for my 6i&9i. What wedge shaft would u guys recommend in my 52, 56, 60 to order 105, 115 or 125?

The same. Loving mine.

Wk

Titleist TSR3 Diamana White Stiff

TM Stealth2 Plus 3Wood Ventis Black Velicore S

Titleist T200U 3 and 4 iron Mitsubishi Tensei Whte 8S 

Titleist T100 5-PW AMTWhite S

Vokey SM10 50, 54, 58  AMT White

Scotty Tour Rat

PROV1 Left Dash

Par 3 scoring, Sergio with Tour130 #1 18.9% birdie or better. #4, Henrik tour120. #5 175-200y distance to hole, Keegan tour125. The modus will be in play in the bags of some of the favorites. Hope for major #2!!

TaylorMade Qi10 LS 9° w/ PX HZRDUS Gen4 Black 75 6.0

TaylorMade SIM ROCKET 14.5° w/ PX Handcrafted EvenFlow Black 75 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 3-19° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 4-22° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

Srixon ZU85 5 26° w/ PX RDX Smoke 100 6.5

Srixon ZX7 6-PW w/ Nippon Modus Tour125 X

Cleveland 588 RTX 52° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Srixon WG-706 56° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Scotty Cameron SSS Circle T Newport Beach w/ UST Frequency Filter

Hello Mark,

Would love to try the 120 in stiff plus 1/2 inch. Do you still offer to send out demos? My current set is Mizuno MP 5's.

Thanks

I have the demos out, I just sent the 105X. Unfortnately don't have a 120S. I'll add it to the want list. Currently out there I have a 120X, 120TX, 125S, 125X and 105X (ST Proto.) I'm hoping to get 130S, 130X and 120S soon. (Link is in my signature to sign up!)

Hello Mark,

Would love to try the 120 in stiff plus 1/2 inch. Do you still offer to send out demos? My current set is Mizuno MP 5's.

Thanks

I have the demos out, I just sent the 105X. Unfortnately don't have a 120S. I'll add it to the want list. Currently out there I have a 120X, 120TX, 125S, 125X and 105X (ST Proto.) I'm hoping to get 130S, 130X and 120S soon. (Link is in my signature to sign up!)

I have a 120x ss1 +1/2" that I built for my dad that I will be donating to Mark's deal as soon as he is done testing. Mark I will get in touch with you soon to see if it should ship to you or another person. It is a burner 2.0 if you want it

Question for the Nippon Guru...

I just went yesterday to try out new irons and shafts and after trying the 105, 120 125 and 130 all in stiff it looks like the 120 was the winner. Question is this, I tried the 120x in the other thread and liked it (they didn't have yesterday), I'm debating getting the 120s straight in or 120s hard stepped or possibly 120x soft stepped. Any help on which way I should go? Here's my Mizuno shaft optimizer numbers if it helps any

86, 6, 3, 3, 9

Thanks in advance.

Driver:  MIZUNO ST-G 440 (9.5d) - Lin-Q Red 60s

Fwy:  MIZUNO ST-G Titanium 3w (15) - Lin-Q Red 60s

Fwy:  COBRA F6 Baffler (19) - Hzrdus Red 75/6.0
Hybrid:  COBRA F7 Hybrid (22) - Tour Blue 85s

Iron:  MIZUNO Pro 245 (5 - G) - Recoil Proto 125 F4
Wedge:  MIZUNO T24 Denim Copper (54/10) - Recoil Wedge Proto F4     
Wedge:  TAYLORMADE Hi-Toe Copper (60/10) - Recoil Wedge Proto F4

Putter:  LAJOSI DD201 Copper Flow or MANNKRAFTED MA-55 Flow
Bag:  BENNINGTON LQO-9 Stand Bag or Ogio Silencer Cart

Wk

Wk

What were the rest of your numbers on the shaft optimizer?

In the blue or above. Less with my DGTI.

Wk

Scotty Tour Rat

PROV1 Left Dash

I just went yesterday to try out new irons and shafts and after trying the 105, 120 125 and 130 all in stiff it looks like the 120 was the winner. Question is this, I tried the 120x in the other thread and liked it (they didn't have yesterday), I'm debating getting the 120s straight in or 120s hard stepped or possibly 120x soft stepped. Any help on which way I should go? Here's my Mizuno shaft optimizer numbers if it helps any

86, 6, 3, 3, 9

Thanks in advance.

I would go straight in 120s.

Wk

Scotty Tour Rat

PROV1 Left Dash

86, 6, 3, 3, 9

Thanks in advance.

I have played the 120x for the last few years and it has worked very well for me. I went through a bunch of fittings/testing before I found Out about these shafts.

I really like the weight and the feel of the stiff tip in the 120x. I toyed around with 120s in a long iron just for kicks, but it felt completely different compared to the x. It felt lighter in the middle/tip of the shaft. You may be perfectly fine with the stiff based on your own testing, but I could definitely feel that the stiff was lighter feeling and less responsive for me based on playing the x.

Thanks for the 2 replies so far. I wish I still had the 120x to demo against the 120s, but being in rural Ky kinda sucks.

Driver:  MIZUNO ST-G 440 (9.5d) - Lin-Q Red 60s

Fwy:  MIZUNO ST-G Titanium 3w (15) - Lin-Q Red 60s

Fwy:  COBRA F6 Baffler (19) - Hzrdus Red 75/6.0
Hybrid:  COBRA F7 Hybrid (22) - Tour Blue 85s

Iron:  MIZUNO Pro 245 (5 - G) - Recoil Proto 125 F4
Wedge:  MIZUNO T24 Denim Copper (54/10) - Recoil Wedge Proto F4     
Wedge:  TAYLORMADE Hi-Toe Copper (60/10) - Recoil Wedge Proto F4

Putter:  LAJOSI DD201 Copper Flow or MANNKRAFTED MA-55 Flow
Bag:  BENNINGTON LQO-9 Stand Bag or Ogio Silencer Cart

Ok, where do you get this?

Ping G430 LST 9* (set to 7.5*), 45", Fujikura Ventus TR Black 6x
Ping G430 LST 14.5* (set to 13*) Fujikura Ventus Black 7x
Ping G430 Max 18* (set to 17*) Fujikura Ventus Black 8x or Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9x
Epon AF-306 4i + Epon AF-Tour CB2 5-PW, Nippon Modus 125X
Yururi Seida Black 52*, Nippon Modus 125/Titleist Vokey SM8 58* K-Grind & 62* M-Grind DG S200
Byron Morgan long pipe neck B-17, Brushed Mystic finish, 34" or Byron Morgan long pipe neck beached 007x

They have white and black in the wedge shafts. Would love to see iron shafts like that!

They have white and black in the wedge shafts. Would love to see iron shafts like that!

I just got a TVD K Grind Vokey in the black finish, and it would look amazing with one of those in it.

Ping G430 LST 9* (set to 7.5*), 45", Fujikura Ventus TR Black 6x
Ping G430 LST 14.5* (set to 13*) Fujikura Ventus Black 7x
Ping G430 Max 18* (set to 17*) Fujikura Ventus Black 8x or Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9x
Epon AF-306 4i + Epon AF-Tour CB2 5-PW, Nippon Modus 125X
Yururi Seida Black 52*, Nippon Modus 125/Titleist Vokey SM8 58* K-Grind & 62* M-Grind DG S200
Byron Morgan long pipe neck B-17, Brushed Mystic finish, 34" or Byron Morgan long pipe neck beached 007x

Anyone play 125x in the 716 AP2s? I'm looking for a change and some new irons. Thanks for the help and reviews!!

[font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif][size=3]TM M6 9 deg.w/ Tensei Pro White 70TX[/size]
[size=3]TM SIM Ti 15deg w/ Tensei Pro White 80TX[/size]
[size=3]​TM P790 3i w/ Tensei Pro White 90TX[/size]
[size=3]TM P790 4i w/ Nippon 125X[/size]
[size=3]Srixon 765 5-PW w/ Nippon 125X[/size]
[size=3]TM Milled Grind 50deg, 54deg, and 58deg High Toe w/ Nippon 125X[/size]
[size=3]TM Spider X Copper[/size][/font]

That's awesome!

Smoke 9* GD IZ 5s
Smoke 🔹🔹🔹15* GD IZ 6s
Smoke 19*GD IZ 7s
T150's 5-PW KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 50/12F KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 54/10S KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 58/08M KBS Tour
TM Spider Tour X

Nike 006 Paul Casey Proto 
Nike 006 Rory Proto 

PRO V1 #36 or #70

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/973333-mnnikeguy-nike-oven-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]