2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

It just me or are a lot of pros switching to Nippon Iron Shafts?

aswo3332

Brand new to shaft conversation. Would love some introductory reading links, and not opposed to some arm chair recommendations from the gallery. I'm not good (16.4 hcp) but I care and want to learn. I hit '93 Hogan Fort Worths (nothing feels like them ...) with TTDG x100 (tried AMT in my 2 iron but that was a disaster; s400 in wedges, which seem right). Big issue is low irons. I can't adjust to hybrids and love low irons, so the 2-3 stay in bag. Would anyone recommend a shaft that would help launch and accuracy? Any advice appreciated (assuming I'm too dumb or too stubborn to learn how to hit the hybrids). Thanks in advance! -Joe

125X could possibly help increase launch just a touch while keeping spin in control. I find the 125 to be far more consistent and forgiving than X100 which I could hit anything from a low spin bullet to a balloon moon ball to a hooking spinner. 125 is very consistent mid flight with low/mid spin. I think this is the closest to DG but with a smoother kick feeling lower in the shaft. The shaft is stable in the transition down and then has a nice kick feel before and during impact. It is a more user friendly shaft IMO. I don't know many that can't use a 125 unless it is the weight or possibly an issue with spin. DG Performance with KBS feel is my tag line for them. If you're an old Hogan player, I think these remind me somewhat of the Hogan Apex shafts made by True Temper. Slightly lighter than DG, felt smooth/great. Love those shafts.

130S, hardstepped maybe, would definetly elevatete the ball higher and feel like nothing you've ever hit before. Super soft at impact yet extremely stable during the swing. Tends to give people a higher launch and lower spin flight. Really good for someone that picks the ball cleanly and needs help elevating the shot. Off hardpan fairways, these will help filter out vibration from thin shots. I used some for a year in Cleveland 588 MB's and played very well. Longer irons launched high. My main issue was distance loss due to higher launch. The longer irons seemed to bunch up on me and I had only like 5y gaps from 5i to 3i. From 150y my 8i was deadly though.

120X, possibly hardstepped is another option. It is similar to the DGX100 but in the opposite way the 125 is. It keeps the kick/bend point high like the X100 but softens up the grip area even more than DG does. 125 tweaks the kick lower, 120 tweaks it higher. This shaft will feel incredibly soft. It will also have a different feel at the top of your backswing when you transition for the downswing. The kick/snap feeling happens right then. Then its a solid feel from that point on. 120 generally is similar launch and similar spin to DG but depending on the players swing can go up or down. Really requires trying the 120 to know.

TaylorMade Qi10 LS 9° w/ PX HZRDUS Gen4 Black 75 6.0

TaylorMade SIM ROCKET 14.5° w/ PX Handcrafted EvenFlow Black 75 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 3-19° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 4-22° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

Srixon ZU85 5 26° w/ PX RDX Smoke 100 6.5

Srixon ZX7 6-PW w/ Nippon Modus Tour125 X

Cleveland 588 RTX 52° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Srixon WG-706 56° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Scotty Cameron SSS Circle T Newport Beach w/ UST Frequency Filter

Brand new to shaft conversation. Would love some introductory reading links, and not opposed to some arm chair recommendations from the gallery. I'm not good (16.4 hcp) but I care and want to learn. I hit '93 Hogan Fort Worths (nothing feels like them ...) with TTDG x100 (tried AMT in my 2 iron but that was a disaster; s400 in wedges, which seem right). Big issue is low irons. I can't adjust to hybrids and love low irons, so the 2-3 stay in bag. Would anyone recommend a shaft that would help launch and accuracy? Any advice appreciated (assuming I'm too dumb or too stubborn to learn how to hit the hybrids). Thanks in advance! -Joe

125X could possibly help increase launch just a touch while keeping spin in control. I find the 125 to be far more consistent and forgiving than X100 which I could hit anything from a low spin bullet to a balloon moon ball to a hooking spinner. 125 is very consistent mid flight with low/mid spin. I think this is the closest to DG but with a smoother kick feeling lower in the shaft. The shaft is stable in the transition down and then has a nice kick feel before and during impact. It is a more user friendly shaft IMO. I don't know many that can't use a 125 unless it is the weight or possibly an issue with spin. DG Performance with KBS feel is my tag line for them. If you're an old Hogan player, I think these remind me somewhat of the Hogan Apex shafts made by True Temper. Slightly lighter than DG, felt smooth/great. Love those shafts.

130S, hardstepped maybe, would definetly elevatete the ball higher and feel like nothing you've ever hit before. Super soft at impact yet extremely stable during the swing. Tends to give people a higher launch and lower spin flight. Really good for someone that picks the ball cleanly and needs help elevating the shot. Off hardpan fairways, these will help filter out vibration from thin shots. I used some for a year in Cleveland 588 MB's and played very well. Longer irons launched high. My main issue was distance loss due to higher launch. The longer irons seemed to bunch up on me and I had only like 5y gaps from 5i to 3i. From 150y my 8i was deadly though.

120X, possibly hardstepped is another option. It is similar to the DGX100 but in the opposite way the 125 is. It keeps the kick/bend point high like the X100 but softens up the grip area even more than DG does. 125 tweaks the kick lower, 120 tweaks it higher. This shaft will feel incredibly soft. It will also have a different feel at the top of your backswing when you transition for the downswing. The kick/snap feeling happens right then. Then its a solid feel from that point on. 120 generally is similar launch and similar spin to DG but depending on the players swing can go up or down. Really requires trying the 120 to know.

It only took me a year lol. Mark had suggested 120X or wait for the 125's a year ago March. I have been happy with the Vapor Pro Combo with the stock DG Pro S300 but when I got an almost new set with the 120X in them I had to get them at that price($450 for 4-PW). Played them for the first time yesterday and the results were good. Different feel obviously but not in a bad way. I will have to give a further review after a few rounds are in.

Titleist TSR4 9° Fujikura Ventus VC Red 5S

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

It only took me a year lol. Mark had suggested 120X or wait for the 125's a year ago March. I have been happy with the Vapor Pro Combo with the stock DG Pro S300 but when I got an almost new set with the 120X in them I had to get them at that price($450 for 4-PW). Played them for the first time yesterday and the results were good. Different feel obviously but not in a bad way. I will have to give a further review after a few rounds are in.

Couple more rounds and it has been a bit of a learning experience. The irons with the 120X are a bit longer than the DG Pro S300 were but on a flatter trajectory-which I like. I have never acclimated myself to the Jason Day moonball style of play and these new Vapor Pro Combo with the Nippon seem like keepers.

I have about 11 holes and two short range sessions on the PX LZ 6.0 shafts in the iBlades.

I just ordered a set with LZ 6.0, but if I don't like them I'm going with Modus 125 Stiff.

I don't really think you can go wrong with either set!

I'll know in 1 to 3 swings if the PX is smooth like the Nippon or not. If it is smoother than normal PX then it comes down to performance/ballflight. The LZ sounds so similar to the 125 but I gotta hit them side by side to see and feel for myself. It's gonna be hard to get 125 out of my bag for sure. Went -3 for 9 holes Saturday with some absolute darts into the greens. I'm more interested in trying LZ so I can add it to the database in my brain of steel shafts and how they feel/perform.

I have a couple of short range sessions and about 11 holes on the iBlades, so I thought I'd give some initial thoughts about the shafts and heads.

First off, the loading zone area on the shafts is the coolest looking thing I've ever seen on a steel shaft. It looks like rippling mercury or glass; very shiny and clean looking. Very, very classy and well done by TT.

The clubs are fantastic, but I think the 6.0's are bit stout for my swing. The feel is quite a bit smoother than regular PX 6.0, but they are probably even a tad more stiff overall than the regular 6.0's to me. I think they launch a bit higher than regular PX, but the iBlades launch a bit higher than S55 for me too.

I notice most of the difference in feel at impact. I hit a fat shot on a hard fairway on one shot and the vibration absorption is far better than regular PX and close to being on par with the softest steel shafts out there. They are not quite as soft as the Steelfiber i110's or Recoil 110's I have in my other irons, but I have to say that it's pretty darn close, which is impressive for a steel shaft. Those of you who have achy joints after playing with regular PX shafts will likely love these shafts. I have been dealing with some chronic joint issues in my left wrist, elbow, and back lately with just about any shaft outside of graphite. The PX LZ's gave me no issues at all.

As far as my ball flight, the PX LZ's launch with sufficient height, but don't have enough spin for me. We have very soft greens right now and I'm still getting a bit more than I'd like.

I love the iBlades, so I am either going to sell the entire set and reorder iBlades with something else OR have them reshafted with something that will fit me better. I need a shaft that is a bit less stout, around the same weight or maybe a bit lighter, and with more spin. The "neverquest" continues! :)

Mark-or someone knowledgeable... I have a set of the Nike Vapor Pro Combo with the stock DG Pro in them. I have a chance to buy a set of pulls that are the Pro Modus 120x but they state they are .370 tip. All I see on the Nippon site are .355 which is what I believe I need. Does Nippon offer both or are they all .355?

I searched this topic with little luck trying to find an answer to this question. I see the 105 is a shaft some DG players like but how do the flexes of the 105 compare to DG? Does a 105x "feel" hard or soft when compared to an x100?

If you play X100 try the 125X. That's the closest to the DGx100. Only difference is the weight of the shaft for 105. The 105 May spin and launch a bit higher.

[font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif][size=3]TM M6 9 deg.w/ Tensei Pro White 70TX[/size]
[size=3]TM SIM Ti 15deg w/ Tensei Pro White 80TX[/size]
[size=3]​TM P790 3i w/ Tensei Pro White 90TX[/size]
[size=3]TM P790 4i w/ Nippon 125X[/size]
[size=3]Srixon 765 5-PW w/ Nippon 125X[/size]
[size=3]TM Milled Grind 50deg, 54deg, and 58deg High Toe w/ Nippon 125X[/size]
[size=3]TM Spider X Copper[/size][/font]

Mark,

Thanks for sharing your expert knowledge to all of us. I am looking to move to a Nippon shaft and just need a push in the right direction. My swing speed with a driver is around 123 and I have a steep angle of attack. I have always favored lightweight shafts with a real stiff tip. Not sure what modus shaft I should start with? Thank you

Mark,

Thanks for sharing your expert knowledge to all of us. I am looking to move to a Nippon shaft and just need a push in the right direction. My swing speed with a driver is around 123 and I have a steep angle of attack. I have always favored lightweight shafts with a real stiff tip. Not sure what modus shaft I should start with? Thank you

Boy, I can see it going any which way. 105 is lighterweight and a mildly stiffer tip section. 125 is the same profile but heavier and beefier tip. 120 is the stiffest tip overall and is still light. Wondering how that steep AoA will play with the softer butt of the 120. 130 will help elevate the steep strike while hanging with you swingspeed. The overall flex of the shaft will negate the need for the stiff tip.

Honestly dude I might have you try all of them. hahha. 130X, 120TX, 125X, 105X. Tough without knowing more about what you use/ have used and how that worked for you. What you'd like to change.

Initial thoughts are 105X is best per your request but may be too soft. 120TX is probably next option but not sure if you'll like the feel. 130X will handle your speed and may surprise you what a softer tip shaft can do. 125X is generalist and suits many people.

Thanks Mark, not sure if you much about the shaft but the old Stepped Brunswick FCM 7.0 was my favorite for awhile. My driver favorite was the Aldila protopype 65 X. Even though I have a steep angle of attack height is not a problem. Thanks again

Narrowing down to Tour120TX or 130X. If loft isn't an issue Tour120TX might be the way to go with weight and that tip stiff feel. There is a 120TX test club in the ship-it-forward trials. Link is in my signature.

• 2 weeks later...

Have new irons coming, apex pros with modus 130. Played project x 6.0 for 7 years, and kbs tour the last year. Thought I'd try something different.

Let us know your thoughts. I played the 130 for a year. Had probably 2 years of PX 6.5 and 2 years of KBS Tour X before that. 130 is heavy yet smooth. KBS launch, PX spin.

An update for those that don't follow the Nippon demo thread in my signature...I have 130S, 130X, 120S and 105S in hand now. I'm going to get heads on them and they will be out for the demo folks too. We already have 125X, 125S, 120X, 120TX and 105X making the rounds. All you have to do is sign up and agree to pay shipping to the next person (figure $12 to try it.) Keep it a week or two. Heck, you can swap the heads and use in your gamers if you want as long as you put the other one back on before you ship it.

Link is below in my siggy! Come check it out!

Hey Mark, based on your advice from way back I picked up a set of 120TX a buddy had an put them in my MP 54's. Best shafts I've ever played. Even with their lighter weight they were still stable and gave me really good numbers. But, these shafts have forced me to smooth out my tempo and let the shaft do the work. Picked up a set of like new 4-PW J15 CB's, had never been hit outside and 4/5/6 were still in plastic. Wanted to try something different so I'm trying the other shaft you recommended, not to mention the 120TX would cost a little more since most places don't stock TX. Gonna go with 125X hsx1. I'm hoping these will allow me to have an extra gear if needed. With the 120TX, if I am between clubs I feel like I have to take more club and take something off. Hit the 125S in a Srixon 745 demo and liked it, could still flight it down if needed. If I don't like the hsx1, can pick up another shaft and go straight in. Been hitting a lot of demos lately with X100 and AMT so think I'm gonna love the 125's...

I've been experiencing a loss of distance for the past several months until I finally just realized that my Miura CB501 PW with Modus 125X at 47* is only going 138 to 140, when my stock yardage with a PW is usually around 145-150, and my Vokey SM5 50.12 with DG TI X100 was going 132. I have just gotten the lofts checked and I was wondering, Mark, if it were possible that the DG TI X100 just fit met better? I've been seeing this loss of distance for a while and I can't seem to figure out what it was. I'm a full club longer with the DG TI X100 because when my 50.12 was at 48*, it was flying 148.

The PW is not the only club is short by a full club, everything with the Modus 125X is. I just have the best example to describe it with, with the PW and 50*. My 54* also goes 120-122. My 9i currently only flies 150, when it normally is in the 158-160 range. The 8i is currently around 158-161 and it is usually 172-174. 7i - 168-170 and usually 185-187. 6i - 175-178 and normally is 198-202. 5i - 185-190 and normally is 210ish. 4i - 195-200 and is normally 220ish, and the 3i is 210ish and is usually around 230-235ish.

I hope I can get some help to figure this conundrum out.

I finally just recalled tonight. I'm hoping to figure this out and go re-shaft as soon as tomorrow morning.

Callaway Mavrik SZ 9.0° • MCA Diamana ZF 60TX
Titleist TS3 15.0° • MCA Diamana D+ 80X
Titleist 818H2 19° • Accra FX 300H M4, Tipped 1"
Callaway Apex Pro19 (4-Pw) • PX 6.0
Callaway MD5 • 50.10S, 54.10S, 59.09C • PX 6.0
SIK Pro C 33” • Titleist Left Dash ProV1x

I've been experiencing a loss of distance for the past several months until I finally just realized that my Miura CB501 PW with Modus 125X at 47* is only going 138 to 140, when my stock yardage with a PW is usually around 145-150, and my Vokey SM5 50.12 with DG TI X100 was going 132. I have just gotten the lofts checked and I was wondering, Mark, if it were possible that the DG TI X100 just fit met better? I've been seeing this loss of distance for a while and I can't seem to figure out what it was. I'm a full club longer with the DG TI X100 because when my 50.12 was at 48*, it was flying 148.

The PW is not the only club is short by a full club, everything with the Modus 125X is. I just have the best example to describe it with, with the PW and 50*. My 54* also goes 120-122. My 9i currently only flies 150, when it normally is in the 158-160 range. The 8i is currently around 158-161 and it is usually 172-174. 7i - 168-170 and usually 185-187. 6i - 175-178 and normally is 198-202. 5i - 185-190 and normally is 210ish. 4i - 195-200 and is normally 220ish, and the 3i is 210ish and is usually around 230-235ish.

I finally just recalled tonight. I'm hoping to figure this out and go re-shaft as soon as tomorrow morning.

Hard to say without knowing more. Different heads, spin, launch, weight. Any of these factors can cause different distances. Hows the trajectory seem compared to X100 set? How is consistency?

Hard to say without knowing more. Different heads, spin, launch, weight. Any of these factors can cause different distances. Hows the trajectory seem compared to X100 set? How is consistency?

I get a more consistent trajectory with the X100, it's a little higher and the spin seems a bit lower. The Modus tends to caught in the wind a bit more for me. My previous set of 716MBs had the X100s and they were much more penetrating in the wind with a higher trajectory.

I could either get a low one that spins or something that goes high but dies out of the air for me with the Modus, I didn't experience this last year with them in S55s as much, but it was there.

I do have a pretty late release. I did discuss with you the fact that I had a good amount of shots that were not flying my normal yardage a couple weeks back, regarding a low but spinny trajectory.

I get a more consistent trajectory with the X100, it's a little higher and the spin seems a bit lower. The Modus tends to caught in the wind a bit more for me. My previous set of 716MBs had the X100s and they were much more penetrating in the wind with a higher trajectory.

I could either get a low one that spins or something that goes high but dies out of the air for me with the Modus, I didn't experience this last year with them in S55s as much, but it was there.

I do have a pretty late release. I did discuss with you the fact that I had a good amount of shots that were not flying my normal yardage a couple weeks back, regarding a low but spinny trajectory.

Sounds like we're opposite. My issues with DG are as you described 125. DG to me can be a low knuckle one shot and the next it's a ballooning floater that falls short. I also have a late release. You may be a better candidate for 120TX than 125.

Sounds like we're opposite. My issues with DG are as you described 125. DG to me can be a low knuckle one shot and the next it's a ballooning floater that falls short. I also have a late release. You may be a better candidate for 120TX than 125.

I may very well do so. I'd never thought I'd have a problem with the 125x, they're fantastic shafts.

I have a somewhat similar situation. I swing very, very aggressively and fast and I currently play the 120 in TX and they're deadly accurate however they launch pretty high and into a wind maybe spin a bit too much.

1) Would I be better off buying the 125 in X and hard stepping once or twice?

2) Do you loose feel when hard stepping?

3) How much additional shaft length is necessary to hard step twice, I know Nippon shafts don't come as long from the factory as say DG.

4) Same flex across the board, are the 125s the best feeling of the modus series?

Appreciate any input!

Tried both the Modus 105S and 105X in a Mizuno JPX900 Hot metal head. wasn't that impressed to be honest. Trouble finding the middle of the face consistently, and ball flight was relatively low. So, I thought as an experiment I'd put a Modus 105R and Recoild 95 F3. (my SS with 6 iron in these was around the 89mph mark). Same results, inconsistency ball striking and low ball flight for the Modus and Recoil. I was very close to blaming my self for these results, or even slating the new JPX900 Hot metal, but as a final fling, I swapped them out for a KBS Tour X. Wow! what a difference, ball striking improved a huge amount, launch angle was 2.2* higher on average, towering ball flight.

Obviously I'm just somebody that delivers the club better with a heavier shaft. So maybe the Modus 125S or even 130S Soft stepped x 1 would be better options for me. Strange how shaft characteristics can work opposite for some people and how different weights and bend profiles can make people like me, deliver the club in such different ways!

Tried both the Modus 105S and 105X in a Mizuno JPX900 Hot metal head. wasn't that impressed to be honest. Trouble finding the middle of the face consistently, and ball flight was relatively low. So, I thought as an experiment I'd put a Modus 105R and Recoild 95 F3. (my SS with 6 iron in these was around the 89mph mark). Same results, inconsistency ball striking and low ball flight for the Modus and Recoil. I was very close to blaming my self for these results, or even slating the new JPX900 Hot metal, but as a final fling, I swapped them out for a KBS Tour X. Wow! what a difference, ball striking improved a huge amount, launch angle was 2.2* higher on average, towering ball flight.

Obviously I'm just somebody that delivers the club better with a heavier shaft. So maybe the Modus 125S or even 130S Soft stepped x 1 would be better options for me. Strange how shaft characteristics can work opposite for some people and how different weights and bend profiles can make people like me, deliver the club in such different ways!

Sounds like it has more to do with the weight and flex. You were trying 100g ish regular flex shafts and went to 130g flex. Definitely not quite and apples to apples comparison. I would bet it has more to do with weight but regular flex to X flex is a big jump.

Sounds like it has more to do with the weight and flex. You were trying 100g ish regular flex shafts and went to 130g flex. Definitely not quite and apples to apples comparison. I would bet it has more to do with weight but regular flex to X flex is a big jump.

As I said, I also tried the Modus 105X too. And as I also mentioned same results, low ball flight. X Flex in the heavier KBS Tour = Money! It wasn't meant to be apples to apples, that was exactly the point of it, to try different shafts of different weights and flexes and go from one extreme to the other. For me, looks like weight plays a far more important part than 'flex' per se.

To be truthful, I have similar results to a lesser Degree with Driver/ Fairway shafts. Heavier shaft tends to suit me a little better. I have to give up some distance by doing it, by accuracy and ball striking is far more consistent. As I said, it's to a lesser degree than the stark difference in Iron shafts.

There will always be exceptions of course, but to go from a 105R and Recoil 95R right through the Modus 105 range of flexes from R to S and X, and get the same low ball flight from a mid/High launch shaft. To a 130g shaft in an X flex that flies great is interesting. I'm not really that bothered about the science behind it. But it's enough for me to understand that clearly my club delivery is so much better and consistent with the heavier shaft.

I'm keen to try the Modus 125 and 130 on the basis of these findings.

Have always considered myself a player that falls between an S and X flex in most iron shafts. s300 shafts get a tad inconsistent for me and to be honest I don't overly like the feel. Been playing the C Tapers in S flex for majority of the past two years and KBS Tours before that for about 2 years (with in between s300 or x100 runs). Got a set of iBlades with the Modus 105x flex shafts and can compare for you guys...

For an X flex shaft it feels smooth, much better than the C Taper or DG x flex shafts. Launch is of course noticeably higher than C Taper or DG shafts and for me might even be a little higher than KBS Tour. Ball spin is a little less for me than C Taper S flex on 7 iron dropping me from 7200 to 6900 with well struck shots (difference maybe due to flex?).

For me its a high launch/low spin shaft with the DG for me being medium launch/higher spin and the C taper being medium launch/low spin. If it helps my 7 iron carry is around the 170 range and I really go after the ball with little to no divot. Smoothest X flex shaft I have ever hit and will assume the other weight Nippon shafts in X flex are smooth too.

Have always considered myself a player that falls between an S and X flex in most iron shafts. s300 shafts get a tad inconsistent for me and to be honest I don't overly like the feel. Been playing the C Tapers in S flex for majority of the past two years and KBS Tours before that for about 2 years (with in between s300 or x100 runs). Got a set of iBlades with the Modus 105x flex shafts and can compare for you guys...

For an X flex shaft it feels smooth, much better than the C Taper or DG x flex shafts. Launch is of course noticeably higher than C Taper or DG shafts and for me might even be a little higher than KBS Tour. Ball spin is a little less for me than C Taper S flex on 7 iron dropping me from 7200 to 6900 with well struck shots (difference maybe due to flex?).

For me its a high launch/low spin shaft with the DG for me being medium launch/higher spin and the C taper being medium launch/low spin. If it helps my 7 iron carry is around the 170 range and I really go after the ball with little to no divot. Smoothest X flex shaft I have ever hit and will assume the other weight Nippon shafts in X flex are smooth too.

Pretty much what I'd expect. But 130X is not exactly "smooth." It's pretty stout.