2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

It just me or are a lot of pros switching to Nippon Iron Shafts?

aswo3332

I got fitted with the Mizuno DNA fit thing recently. Suggested I use the 1150GH...However, Mizzy doesn't offer this shaft anymore in the JPX 900 series.

Is the Pro modus 3 105 going to give similar flight? I know it's about 8 grams lighter or so, but the Nippon's were just so much better than anything else. Next best was the C Taper Lite, but I'm not sure how I feel about a non flighted iron shaft... I'm just not used to that visually.

I'd love to hear the reply on this one as well. I demo'ed the 1150GH's and they felt awesome but wondering how simliar (or not) they are to the 105's.

I got fitted with the Mizuno DNA fit thing recently. Suggested I use the 1150GH...However, Mizzy doesn't offer this shaft anymore in the JPX 900 series.

Is the Pro modus 3 105 going to give similar flight? I know it's about 8 grams lighter or so, but the Nippon's were just so much better than anything else. Next best was the C Taper Lite, but I'm not sure how I feel about a non flighted iron shaft... I'm just not used to that visually.

I'd love to hear the reply on this one as well. I demo'ed the 1150GH's and they felt awesome but wondering how simliar (or not) they are to the 105's.

Mizuno Customer Support rep emailed me back on this question. They told me the closest match in their line up is the Modus 120. They also said as far as other brands went, the CTL, XP115 and PX shafts were all similar. However, they said depending on your swing, switching to 1 flex higher in the Modus 105 may yield a similar flight.

It's worth a try in another fitting. I will compare the Modus 105 and the C Taper Lite (which was very similar for me to the 1150GH) sometime this week.

Mizuno Customer Support rep emailed me back on this question. They told me the closest match in their line up is the Modus 120. They also said as far as other brands went, the CTL, XP115 and PX shafts were all similar. However, they said depending on your swing, switching to 1 flex higher in the Modus 105 may yield a similar flight.

It's worth a try in another fitting. I will compare the Modus 105 and the C Taper Lite (which was very similar for me to the 1150GH) sometime this week.

I would have suggested the same, 120. The 1150 is a bit of an odd duck in the older Nippon line. 1050 and 105 are very similar. 1150 was more for a hitter type swinger and I think the 120/125 is closer to that model.

TaylorMade Qi10 LS 9° w/ PX HZRDUS Gen4 Black 75 6.0

TaylorMade SIM ROCKET 14.5° w/ PX Handcrafted EvenFlow Black 75 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 3-19° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 4-22° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

Srixon ZU85 5 26° w/ PX RDX Smoke 100 6.5

Srixon ZX7 6-PW w/ Nippon Modus Tour125 X

Cleveland 588 RTX 52° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Srixon WG-706 56° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Scotty Cameron SSS Circle T Newport Beach w/ UST Frequency Filter

Correct. However, the Modus 120 is not offered in any of the Mizuno clubs free of charge. If I want them I'd have to custom order them and end up paying the extra $35 or so per shaft. Not really sure I will want to go that route... It depends if they even have the Modus 120 in the cart, and how it performs/ So if I want to go Nippon in the 110g range, it will likely have to be the Modus 105.

It may depend on the club head too. I got fit for the 1150gh in a Mizuno JPZ EZ head. The JPX 900 irons I am also interested in are slightly stronger lofted (by 1 degree) and have about 60% of the offset. This means that almost for certain, ball flight and possibly spin will be lower. So in the JPX 900, I very well be better off swinging a slightly lighter shaft.

For what its worth...I was told by a very well respected fitter on here to also try out the Modus 105x vs C Taper Lite stiff. They are more comparable to the 1150's.

Driver:  MIZUNO ST-G 440 (10.5d) - Ventus Blue Velocore 6s (44.75")

Fwy:  MIZUNO ST-G Titanium 3w (15) - Lin-Q Red 60s

Fwy:  COBRA F6 Baffler (19) - Hzrdus Red 75/6.0
Hybrid:  COBRA F7 Hybrid (22) - Tour Blue 85s

Iron:  MIZUNO Pro 245 (5 - G) - Recoil Proto 125 F4
Wedge:  MIZUNO T24 Denim Copper (54/10) - Recoil Wedge Proto 125 F4     
Wedge:  TAYLORMADE Hi-Toe Copper (60/10) - Recoil Wedge Proto 125 F4

Putter:  LAJOSI DD201 Copper Flow or MANNKRAFTED MA-55 Flow
Bag:  BENNINGTON LQO-9 Stand Bag

At some point, if the shaft is the correct fit, you either pay for the upgrade. or you order with the best stock option and then buy aftermarket the Tour120's and install. You can flip the stock shafts to recoup some money. Try for something free upgrade that is exotic and will give you a good return. Going solely with what an OEM is willing to offer will hinder your possibilities. Mizuno of all companies should offer a product that is #1 in Japan. Seems dumb they're so slow to adapt.

At some point, if the shaft is the correct fit, you either pay for the upgrade. or you order with the best stock option and then buy aftermarket the Tour120's and install. You can flip the stock shafts to recoup some money. Try for something free upgrade that is exotic and will give you a good return. Going solely with what an OEM is willing to offer will hinder your possibilities. Mizuno of all companies should offer a product that is #1 in Japan. Seems dumb they're so slow to adapt.

Exactly the road I took. Ordered with 105 pulled and put in 120 s immediately.

"Only the lazy ones fail !" Paul Bertholy, PGA

www.dougferreri.com

I will have to see if golfsmith even has the 120's in the store. I know they've got the stock 105, but yes the 120 would be ideal. However, I believe many retailers still offer the 1150gh as a stand alone... so... I could still buy them if I wanted.

I may hit the 1150gh vs the CTL again today just to see if anything changes. I never buy on first impressions, I'm pretty OCD over my gear, so I'll hit clubs 5+ times before I buy.

Correct. However, the Modus 120 is not offered in any of the Mizuno clubs free of charge. If I want them I'd have to custom order them and end up paying the extra $35 or so per shaft. Not really sure I will want to go that route... It depends if they even have the Modus 120 in the cart, and how it performs/ So if I want to go Nippon in the 110g range, it will likely have to be the Modus 105.

It may depend on the club head too. I got fit for the 1150gh in a Mizuno JPZ EZ head. The JPX 900 irons I am also interested in are slightly stronger lofted (by 1 degree) and have about 60% of the offset. This means that almost for certain, ball flight and possibly spin will be lower. So in the JPX 900, I very well be better off swinging a slightly lighter shaft.

From my experience in a Mizuno fitting a year or so ago, I found the 1150 stiff and the XP 115 S300 to yield very similar results. Launch, spin, weight, I would definitely check those out as well. The 1150's felt a tad more boardy to me than the XP's because of the very stiff butt section. I also think that the Modus 105 in stiff will be good as long as you are not a naturally high ball hitter, they feel great. As long as they get you a decent swing weight, (D2 or D3), which Mizuno will, it will be good to go.

Titleist TSR2 10*| MCA Tensei AV blue (SFW) Xlink 55 S

Titleist TSR2 3 HL 16.5*| MCA Tensei AV blue Xlink 65 S

Titleist TSR2 7 Wood 21*| MCA Tensei AV blue Xlink 75 S

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged 4 iron| N.S. Pro 980GH DST S

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged 5-GW| N.S. Pro 1050GH S

Titleist BV SM9 54*S, 60*S| TT DG S200
Ping 2023 Anser
Srixon Z Star

I ended up getting refit and the modus 105 produced better results than even the 1150GH. I may need to start using a different ball though. Currently play a Cally Super Soft, which with this set up , I believe will spin and launch much too low.

I will probably end up using tour caliber balls, even though my HC is around 22-23.

I ended up getting refit and the modus 105 produced better results than even the 1150GH. I may need to start using a different ball though. Currently play a Cally Super Soft, which with this set up , I believe will spin and launch much too low.

I will probably end up using tour caliber balls, even though my HC is around 22-23.

I tend to like the tour ball better for the greenside play anyways. I see too many people playing rocks and chips/pitches just go racing by the cup.

Side bar, have you ever tried Wilson Duo? Man that thing feels so good and surprisingly performs very well.

I tend to like the tour ball better for the greenside play anyways. I see too many people playing rocks and chips/pitches just go racing by the cup.

Side bar, have you ever tried Wilson Duo? Man that thing feels so good and surprisingly performs very well.

I have only tried Wilson 50. Low spinning, very soft. Loved it for tee shots and mid iron but hate it around the green. Love putting it though, it's like a fluffy little marshmellow.

I generally buy all my balls lightly used off LGB.com, and they do not offer any Wilson balls. I may ask for some though for Xmas, since I do really enjoy the soft feel of Wilson balls. For now I will probably play my older Prov's or Chrome Softs, maybe the e6 but I find it to feel too hard off the face for my liking.

A couple questions for the experts on these now that I have hit both the 120X and 120tx. I feel like I'm right in the middle (hit the tx great when swinging well but get a little pull going when the swing is off) and hopefully I can make my decision if someone knows these things.

- I plan on playing them a half inch over, do they play true to flex over length, or will they get a little softer or stiffer?

- if they will play true to flex, is there a preference for hard stepped X vs. Softstepped tx?

-my only issue is I still feel like I'm launching the ball a little high with both of them, same as with px 6.5 and X100. Would that effect decision to hardstep or softstep? Is there another shaft I should be looking at in the Nippon family?

Thanks for any advice.

Orange Peening vs 950gh...any thoughts?

Ping G430 HL 10.5*

Wilson Staff Dyna Power 5 wood
Ping 410 7 wood
XXIO 10 5 Hybrid, Tour Exotics 6 Hybrid
Wilson Staff DynaPower forged 7-GW

Wilson Staff 56*

Wilson Staff 60*

Bettinardi BB0 TRI DASS Skull and Bones 2023 33" 

Like Edberg's forehand, my swing is held together with a paperclip and a rubber band.

I've got CFS stiff in my Ping i25 currently would the 105s or 105x soft stepped be a better replacement? Do the shaft characteristics change much from s to x flex?

I've demo'd iE in 105s and i've had 950gh r back in the day both great feel typical

Looking for similar weight as CFS stiff and higher ball flight especially in my 4-6 irons.

Ping G400 Max / Speeder 661 Evo IV 
Sim Ti 3 / HZRDUS Blue 75
Cobra Radspeed 5 / HZRDUS Blue 75
Oven Nike Vapor Fly Pro 4 / Modus3 105
Ping I210 5-U / Modus3 105
Vokey SM8 54D / Modus3 125

Vokey SM8 58 LBK / Modus3 125

Nike Origin Naked B2-01

I've got CFS stiff in my Ping i25 currently would the 105s or 105x soft stepped be a better replacement? Do the shaft characteristics change much from s to x flex?

I've demo'd iE in 105s and i've had 950gh r back in the day both great feel typical

Looking for similar weight as CFS stiff and higher ball flight especially in my 4-6 irons.

Id stick to 105S. 105x is most common flex on PGA tour, I wouldn't call these soft to flex.

I was recently fitted into a Soft stepped x1 DG X100, Project X 6.0 or KBS Tour X (also SSx1). My 6 iron was around 90 mph with a smooth transition, driver around 110 mph. I was set on getting a set of 120X, but would 125X be a better fit/flight? I don't think I have anywhere close by to try the 125X. Thanks for reading.

I was recently fitted into a Soft stepped x1 DG X100, Project X 6.0 or KBS Tour X (also SSx1). My 6 iron was around 90 mph with a smooth transition, driver around 110 mph. I was set on getting a set of 120X, but would 125X be a better fit/flight? I don't think I have anywhere close by to try the 125X. Thanks for reading.

Hmm. I think you could go 120X or 125S hsx1 or 125X ssx1. 120 would probably be a lower flight and closer to DG. 125 would be a bit higher and more similar to KBS IMO. X100, even ssx1 I feel is still stiffer than PX6.0 or KBX Tour X ssx1. Between 125X ssx1 and 125S hsx1 you're looking at spin differences. 125X slightly less spin, 125S slightly more spin. At 90mph and smooth transition I might lean towards 125S hsx1. Hard to tell without seeing you hit them.

Hi Mark,

Where does the modus 125 stiff fits in your matrix? Thanks!

e57d518640f6608248663ea5c89539eb.jpg

Callaway Epic Flash Subzero Double Diamond Ventus TR Blue 6S tipped 1.5"

Callaway Epic Flash Subzero 15* bonded Ventus TR Blue 7S tipped 1.25"

Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 20* Ventus TR Blue 8S tipped 1.5"

Epon AF Tour 4-PW Modus 105 Stiff
Cleveland RTX6 Zipcore 51, 55, 59 Modus 115 and 125 Wedge Shaft

Byron Morgan 612 GSS

Where would the SSx1 of 120x be on your matrix? How would I decide to hard step the 120s or soft step the 120x? The 120s felt a little unstable for me, spun more, less distance where as the 120x felt stable through the hitting area, went straighter, less spin in the air especially against the wind. Trying to decide on going straight in with the 120x or soft stepping the 120x or hard step the 120s.....any ideas. thanks.

Rogue 10.5* GDIZ 55s
Rogue 17* GDIZ 75s
Titleist H1 3H GDDI 85s
PXG GEN6 0311P 5-GW SteelFiber Private Reserve 110S
Vokey SM6 54-S, 58-M NS Pro Modus 105S
Toulon Austin Stroke Lab 34" Putter Pistol Grip

Chrome Soft/ProV1 

Where would the SSx1 of 120x be on your matrix? How would I decide to hard step the 120s or soft step the 120x? The 120s felt a little unstable for me, spun more, less distance where as the 120x felt stable through the hitting area, went straighter, less spin in the air especially against the wind. Trying to decide on going straight in with the 120x or soft stepping the 120x or hard step the 120s.....any ideas. thanks.

I mean you just said it. Going softer and hardstepping usually gives you a lower flight with higher spin. A bit more rise. Going softstepped stiffer shaft usually tweaks it to higher loft and lower spin. Flatter flight.

The numbers on trackman won't change vastly. It is more about feel than anything. The feel and timing of the kick.

that is a really great matrix by the way, i love that thing. if im in the 120s row, 5.5, etc, but currently using steelfiber 110s , where would that fall? i find it to be very stout, and looking for something to launch higher and feel better

Driver- TITLEIST TSr1 10° AD-HD 6s
3 Wood- TITLEIST TSi2 15° AD-DI 7s
Hybrid- TITLEIST TSr2 21° AD-HY 75s

Irons- SRIXON Zx5 KBS Tour Lite 100s
Wedges- CALLAWAY Jaws Raw Black SF 95
Putter- SCOTTY CAMERON Phantom X 9.5

Ball- BRIDGESTONE Tour B X

Hi Mark,

Where does the modus 125 stiff fits in your matrix? Thanks!

e57d518640f6608248663ea5c89539eb.jpg

post#2939

Modus / Rifle / DG / KBS

120 R / 105 R ssx1 / 125 R ssx1 / 4.0-4.5 / R200 / KBS Tour R

120 S ssx1 / 105R / 125 R / 4.5-5.0 / R300 / C-Taper Lite R

130 R / 120 S / 125 R hsx1 / 105R hsx1 / 105S ssx1 / 125 S ssx1 / 5.0-5.4 / S200 SSx1 / C-Taper Lite R HSx1, Tour V R

120 S hsx1 / 105 S / 125 S / 5.5 / S200 / S400 ssx1 & S300 ssx1 / C-Taper R, C-Taper Lite S SSX1, KBS Tour S

120 X /105 S hsx1 / 125 S hsx1 / 125 X ssx1 / 6.0-6.4 / S300 & S400 / S200 hsx1 / C-taper S+ / KBS Tour X

130 S / 105 X /125 X / 6.3-6.8 / S400 hsx1, X100, X200 ssx1 / Tour V S hsx1

120 TX / 105 X hsx1 / 125 X hsx1 / 6.5-7.0 / X100 hsx1, X200 / C-Taper X

130 X SSx1 / 7.0-7.1 / DG Tour X7 ssx1 / Tour V 120&125 X

130 X / 7.2+ / X300, DG Tour X7 / C-Taper 130 X

ssx1 = Soft Step 1 time hsx1 = Hard Step 1 time.

Mark - thank you for taking the time to prepare this shaft matrix! It's especially helpful since Nippon shafts are not readily available for demo at most golf shops.

Bridgestone Tour B - X driver + FUJIKURA Speeder757 Evolution III 
Cobra F8 Tour 3-wood + ALDILA NV Green 75s
BRIDGESTONE Tour B XD-H 21* + Nippon NS Pro950 UT
Irons: MIZUNO Pro221 + DG S300
Mizuno MP-T5/MP-T22

BETTINARDI BB-1f 

BRIDGESTONE TOUR B RX 

why is this post 111 pages long

Driver- TITLEIST TSr1 10° AD-HD 6s
3 Wood- TITLEIST TSi2 15° AD-DI 7s
Hybrid- TITLEIST TSr2 21° AD-HY 75s

Irons- SRIXON Zx5 KBS Tour Lite 100s
Wedges- CALLAWAY Jaws Raw Black SF 95
Putter- SCOTTY CAMERON Phantom X 9.5

Ball- BRIDGESTONE Tour B X

why is this post 111 pages long

it is 11 pages of good stuff and 100 pages of people like you asking "Why is this thread so long." Or perhaps, because Nippons are awesome shafts and the attention is deserved??