2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

It just me or are a lot of pros switching to Nippon Iron Shafts?

aswo3332

Help me out here.

I fitted today and modus 125s and KBS tour v 110s were best for me. modus was bit harder to hit, probably due to its weight, but dispersion was much better than kbs.

Thing is, I thought modus 120 and 125 weights were similar. I hate S300 because it's too heavy. My preference is 105-110g and I currently game modus 105s and 120s on 2nd set. I tried 1150GH (116g) and even it felt heavy.

But after fitting, I see 125 is heaviest of all. same as DG S300. !?!

I'm a mid-handicapper with bit of over the top swing. Does it make sense that I was hitting well two well-different spec shafts, while one of them has same weight as one that doesn't work for me??

The shaft weight concern is Valid! I am gaming the Modus 3 125R (127.5g) after years of playing two non-Nippon lines that were 110-115g. FWIW, I'm quite strong for my size, but at 140lbs. max, I got a limit I hit when I over do it (for instance on the range).

I still have gotten some great results on course outings this past season with the 125Rs, but I have noticed I don't produce a full bucket of decent iron shots anymore at the range. My consistency actually goes down after 12-15 balls, and that's when I switch into hitting hybrids and driver in graphite shafts. :o Like that weight of iron shafts bogs me down.

I'm glad I kept one set of irons I just love (Callaway Razr MB) with the PX 5.0F shafts (115g). If I really feel the need to practice a huge top to bottom slotting in the irons, I may just stick with that weight range and wear out those +5 yrs. old set.

Nonetheless, their overall weight is still not as friendly as the past range set which was way lighter, also Recoils - 110 F4. My other irons in the past play were TT DG Dynalites S300 (113g). Those and the Recoils 110 I could swing all day at the range.

Since fast repeat mode for iron shots during the actual golf game is not normal (I also walk most of my rounds), I personally can get same results in heavy shafts vs. lighter (by 12-15g) at my stage. Just don't wear it out on the range! :tongue:

BAG ONE:                                                                                                   BAG TWO:
D - Callaway Rogue ST Max D                                               - Cobra F9 Tour Length  

5 -  Ping G425 Max 5(16.5)                                                    3 -  TEE C721 Pro 3 HL(16.5)

H - Callaway Mav P (18) Titleist TS2 (21)                              H - TM SF 2.0 (18) & (21)

I -  Titleist T300 4                                                                   I -  Taylormade SIM Max 4      
I -  Titleist T100 5-P/MR KK TiNi 105                                     I -  Taylormade P760 5-P/Recoils 110 F4

W - Vokey SM8 52, Vokey SM6 58                                        W - Vokey SM8 52, Vokey SM6 58 
P - Bellum Winmore Midi  787                                                - Guerin TS Black 370

great info on this thread, just put a 120x and 120x soft stepped to demo, coming from steelfiber 110s. anyone compare those shafts?

[size=4][font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][b]DRIVER[/b]- Callaway Rogue Oban Tour Limited 60s
[b]3 WOOD[/b]- GBB Epic Oban Kiyoshi Gold 75s
[b]HYBRID[/b]- Titleist 818 H1 19/23 Hybrid Atmos HB Tour Spec 85s
[b]IRONS[/b]- Srixon 765/565 Nippon Modus 105s
[b]GAP[/b]- Callaway MD4 Chrome 52 Modus 105
[b]SAND[/b]- Callaway MD4 Chrome 54 Modus 105
[b]LOB[/b]- Callaway MD3 Chrome 58 Modus 105
[b]PUTTER[/b]- Bettinardi Queen Bee #6
[b]BALL[/b]- Callaway Chrome Soft X[/font][/size]

great info on this thread, just put a 120x and 120x soft stepped to demo, coming from steelfiber 110s. anyone compare those shafts?

Was there a particular reason for being fit into the steel fibers?

The modus 120 is anomaly compared to the steel fiber. I like the steel fiber 95 and their older 99 player spec series. Normally there's joint, wrist or elbow issues going on for someone to pursue that route (there are obvious exceptions).

Graphite shafts feel smooth because they deaden feedback (vibration). Modus offer feel and feedback like no other iron shaft I've tested. Each modus also has its own unique characteristic and load feel.

Only you can provide resolute in deciding which is best for you. I'm currently testing the 120s, coming from 125s.

Make sure to test them on the course and play different shots with them.

@therealping

You just need to try all of them. I'm in px right now and love the 120x just as much even though they are complete opposites. Going to hop on flightscope tomorrow to see differences b/t dispersion, spin and distance b/t the two 6 irons

Tsr 3

Epic Flash 3w

Covert 5W

T100 4-P

MG3 52*

MG4 56* 

SM8 60* 

Oworks Tank Armlock

Z Star XV

why are px and 120x opposites? i didnt like the feel of px so thats when i moved on to KBS, then steelfiber. i fit myself into steelfibers just to try it out because it was different and i liked it better then kbs tour. 120x feel really smooth

[size=4][font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][b]DRIVER[/b]- Callaway Rogue Oban Tour Limited 60s

why are px and 120x opposites? i didnt like the feel of px so thats when i moved on to KBS, then steelfiber. i fit myself into steelfibers just to try it out because it was different and i liked it better then kbs tour. 120x feel really smooth

PX have extremely stiff butt ends with descending stiffness towards the tip(flagpole) while the 120 has a soft butt and increases stiffness until you get to the very stiff tip. They are pretty much reversed

Tsr 3

Epic Flash 3w

Covert 5W

T100 4-P

MG3 52*

MG4 56* 

SM8 60* 

Oworks Tank Armlock

Z Star XV

ok thanks. that explains why i like the feel of nippon but dont like px

Bought a set of the 105 to test in my srixon z545. Could not time the swing well enough. I think I'm meant for a heavier weight. Played the 125s before and it was great but wanted something lighter. Maybe when the new modus comes out I'll give it a go. 105s don't fit me well.

Taylormade M2 10.5* // Tensei Pro Orange 6S
Taylormade M3 15* // Tensei Pro Orange 7s
Taylormade M3 Rescue // Graphite Design Tour AD DI 85HY
Srixon z565 4-PW // Nippon Modus Tour 120
Titleist Vokey SM 52*
Titleist Vokey SM 58*
Scotty Cameron 350g Milspec

Bought a set of the 105 to test in my srixon z545. Could not time the swing well enough. I think I'm meant for a heavier weight. Played the 125s before and it was great but wanted something lighter. Maybe when the new modus comes out I'll give it a go. 105s don't fit me well.

If the LSL indeed makes it to retail it's supposedly built on the 125 profile with similar weighting.

"Built on the N.S. Pro Modus3 125 platform, the LSL version produces a more penetrating flight and low spin characteristics while still offering a similar bend profile. The shaft comes in at almost the same weight (125 grams) as well."

http://bombsquadgolf.com/Invision/index.php?/topic/12502-nippon-lsl-protos/

http://www.pgatour.com/equipmentreport/2016/10/19/nippon-shaft.html

@therealping

did u try the 120

Probably going to go modus 105 in the iBlades but am considering going cushion inserts to add some weight.

Love my spo and they will stay in the i20s but like everyone else here always looking for something new. I really wish they had the 125 as a stock option. Had the 120s last year and couldn't get them out fast enough and seem to not spin the 130 enough with my swing.

TM M6 9 Graphite Design HD 6x
TM M6 15 Graphite Design TP 7x
TM M6 18 Graphite Design VR 8x
Mizuno JPX 921 SEL 4-G Nippon SPO

Mizuno T22 56D, 61X Nippon SPO
Byron Morgan DH89 SSS 350g KBS CT Tour black

PX have extremely stiff butt ends with descending stiffness towards the tip(flagpole) while the 120 has a soft butt and increases stiffness until you get to the very stiff tip. They are pretty much reversed

Just to clarify this a little bit so people aren't under the wrong impression. The butt side of any club is always going to be stiffer than the tip section, that goes for PX, Nippon, TT, KBS, any of them.

The difference comes in comparing one shaft to another and how they relate to each other. PX, for example, has a stiffer butt section than Dynamic Gold. The tip section of the PX is also softer then Dynamic Gold. But...both shafts have a softer tip section than their butt section.

Small clarification, but figured it was worth mentioning.

2024 Building In-progress

Qi10 Core Head 9* w/ AD-DI 6S  (I heart you AD DI and will never sway from you again)
Qi10 Tour 3W with shaft TBD
Callaway UW 17* with shaft TBD

Titleist TS2 19* Hybrid at 20* w/ PX Evenflow Blue 85 6.0

4-PW Srixon ZX7s w/ DG AMT White S300s
MG2 TW Grind 56/60 at 54/58
Spider Tour X3

So far only able to find 105s, 125s and 130s in a srixon fitting cart around me. Numbers are by far the best with the 130s. Numbers with a 765 6i were average 200yds club speed 94-96 spin in the 5000s. Need some advice here, should I wait to see if I can find X flexes to demo before pulling the trigger on the 130s?

So far only able to find 105s, 125s and 130s in a srixon fitting cart around me. Numbers are by far the best with the 130s. Numbers with a 765 6i were average 200yds club speed 94-96 spin in the 5000s. Need some advice here, should I wait to see if I can find X flexes to demo before pulling the trigger on the 130s?

If you are getting 200 with 5000 spin rate with 6i AND it feels as smooth as a Nippon. Thats your shaft.

try the 120x, it is very smooth

another modus question, anyone try the nippon wedge shafts? currently giving the 115 and the 125 a demo and they both seem very nice.

Modus 120 and 130 are polar opposites, most people love one and hate the other. I love my 120TX, but didn't like the 130. Currently testing the 125X and the jury's still out, only 2 rounds on them. Was gonna go back to 120TX, but shot my best round ever with the 125's.

Modus 120 and 130 are polar opposites, most people love one and hate the other. I love my 120TX, but didn't like the 130. Currently testing the 125X and the jury's still out, only 2 rounds on them. Was gonna go back to 120TX, but shot my best round ever with the 125's.

I just picked up a set of irons with 120x's in them. Gonna hit them on trackman against the 130s and see what I get. Also need to call around to see if I can find some other weights/flexes. Anyone know off hand which OEM's put shafts for guys like us in their carts?! It's frustrating to have only x100 or PX 6.5

According to the EI profile the PX is stiffer in the mid to but of the shaft. It is less stiff in the butt and tip than a DG. From how I read the 120 EI profile the 120 is a more extreme version of a DG. Softer mid but a longer stiffer tip.

Taylormade Qi10 9* HZRDUS 70 6.5

Titleist Tsi2 15* Tensei RAW Blue 75X

Titleist Tsr2 21* Tensei Black 85 TX
Srixon ZX5, ZX7 combo set 4-PW PX 6.0
Titleist SM5 50.12F, SM6 56.14F, 60.08M
Odyssey White Hot OG #7 Stroke Lab
Titleist Pro V1X 2023

According to the EI profile the PX is stiffer in the mid to but of the shaft. It is less stiff in the butt and tip than a DG. From how I read the 120 EI profile the 120 is a more extreme version of a DG. Softer mid but a longer stiffer tip.

Webber is correct, the PX is fairly butt soft. The original Rifle was butt stiff.

TaylorMade Qi10 LS 9° w/ PX HZRDUS Gen4 Black 75 6.0

TaylorMade SIM ROCKET 14.5° w/ PX Handcrafted EvenFlow Black 75 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 3-19° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 4-22° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

Srixon ZU85 5 26° w/ PX RDX Smoke 100 6.5

Srixon ZX7 6-PW w/ Nippon Modus Tour125 X

Cleveland 588 RTX 52° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Srixon WG-706 56° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Scotty Cameron SSS Circle T Newport Beach w/ UST Frequency Filter

If the LSL indeed makes it to retail it's supposedly built on the 125 profile with similar weighting.

"Built on the N.S. Pro Modus3 125 platform, the LSL version produces a more penetrating flight and low spin characteristics while still offering a similar bend profile. The shaft comes in at almost the same weight (125 grams) as well."

http://bombsquadgolf...pon-lsl-protos/

http://www.pgatour.c...ppon-shaft.html

The LSL has a beefier midsection that helps decrease spin and IMO a slightly softer butt section to help feel and also IMO helps the golfer deliver the club with the hands forward and lower loft/launch condition. IMO it is closer to a Tour120/Tour105 hybrid. The Tour105 is built on the 125 profile. IMO the LSL is a Tour105 with a Tour120 midsection (just tighted up.) Now I hit pretty early proto's but to me it felt lighter than Tour125 by a LOT and they told me like 118g. So maybe the 125g is uncut weight? Maybe they changed the design since I tried it and beefed it up for even lower launch and lower spin?Still getting a set the second available!! Will most likely usurp the 125X from the gamer bag.

TaylorMade Qi10 LS 9° w/ PX HZRDUS Gen4 Black 75 6.0

TaylorMade SIM ROCKET 14.5° w/ PX Handcrafted EvenFlow Black 75 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 3-19° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 4-22° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

Srixon ZU85 5 26° w/ PX RDX Smoke 100 6.5

Srixon ZX7 6-PW w/ Nippon Modus Tour125 X

Cleveland 588 RTX 52° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Srixon WG-706 56° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Scotty Cameron SSS Circle T Newport Beach w/ UST Frequency Filter

I'm sure this has been discussed already but to save me from going thru entire thread......I have been told that the 120's play soft to flex. What about the 130's?....How do the 130's play in X flex?

General consensus is that the 130 is a pretty stout shaft, the personal opinions tend to agree with the bend charts that are out there.

2024 Building In-progress

Qi10 Core Head 9* w/ AD-DI 6S  (I heart you AD DI and will never sway from you again)
Qi10 Tour 3W with shaft TBD
Callaway UW 17* with shaft TBD

Titleist TS2 19* Hybrid at 20* w/ PX Evenflow Blue 85 6.0

4-PW Srixon ZX7s w/ DG AMT White S300s
MG2 TW Grind 56/60 at 54/58
Spider Tour X3

I have 130x +.5in combo 545 5-7, 745 8-pw. Love them, came from rifle flt 6.5. The ball flight is much better, not as ballooning and less spin. The only problem i have is my pw, the ball doesn't hop and stop like it used to, but thats it.

This is exactly me. Played PX Rifle 6.5 for a long time in my Mizuno's. Was fit into Ping Ie1 Modus 130x +1/2". After gaming them I don't think I can play anything else shaft wise. I hit some MP5's recent with DG (non TI) X100. Would pure the ball and just lacks so much feel the Nippon's give. Felt like a trash can at the end of a stick. 130x were made for my swing and the feel is hands down the best I have had.

I'm sure this has been discussed already but to save me from going thru entire thread......I have been told that the 120's play soft to flex. What about the 130's?....How do the 130's play in X flex?

I don't think they play stiff to flex. I feel like they play pretty true where the 120x played a little loose compared to PX 6.5. I thought 130x play the same as X100 and PX 6.5 in terms of flex. They definitely don't feel like it though. 6.5 and X100 feel harsh after gaming 130x.

would u say 120x compares to 5.5

Just made the switch from px 7.0 to Modus 120x. These are the best iron shafts Ive tried. I know they aren't anywhere near similar profiles but the smooth feel of the modus has smoothed out my transition instead of feeling like I have to go all out for the ox to load. Finally found something consistent and seems to fit my swing.

Tsr 3

Epic Flash 3w

Covert 5W

T100 4-P

MG3 52*

MG4 56* 

SM8 60* 

Oworks Tank Armlock

Z Star XV