2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

It just me or are a lot of pros switching to Nippon Iron Shafts?

aswo3332

120 profiles pretty similar to the spo but in my hands they couldn't be more different. I did have to go back to a lil higher spin ball this year but still in love with spo a year later and did not like the 120 at all.

I have a set just been hesitant to put them in. Going in a different set, not breaking up the gamers yet. My swing is very much like Garcias, inside out, timing is important, rather than hit the push cut like he does I'm always shut to path afraid of the right side. That coupled with wanting more height has me thinking 130 might be better.

I would agree with 130 being more what you are looking for on paper. They would also be where I would go if I was looking for some more height.

I guess I could also get away with just a touch more spin instead of height too. I'm definitely jealous of some of the + guys I play with that hit moon balls. Have a lot of experience with this stuff? Check my swing vid in the Wrx gear trials if you think you can help. Appreciate the responses.

Ping/Epon/Scratch/Bettinardi WITB Link

Thought stenson played st proto aka 105?

I still haven't been able to pull the tigger on 120 or 130, need some more time with both and frankly nervous to change. I hit all 18 greens for the first time a few days ago with super peening oranges, I would still like a little higher launch, height, or spin.

He's been in the 120s for a while (could be a proto of sorts).

If you're not satisfied with hitting all 18 greens, then there's nothing that's going to fill that void.

“We’re flawed because we want so much more. We’re ruined because we get these things and wish for what we had.” — Don Draper

@therealping

I still haven't been able to pull the tigger on 120 or 130, need some more time with both and frankly nervous to change. I hit all 18 greens for the first time a few days ago with super peening oranges, I would still like a little higher launch, height, or spin.

He's been in the 120s for a while (could be a proto of sorts).

If you're not satisfied with hitting all 18 greens, then there's nothing that's going to fill that void.

“We’re flawed because we want so much more. We’re ruined because we get these things and wish for what we had.” — Don Draper

Yea just went and saw that in his witb, could have sworn he was in the 105.

Sample size man, I played 200 times this year I probably have a pretty good idea of how my irons perform. I hit the ball extremely low and can't compete with high ball hitters on courses we both have 6 iron + in all day. I want to compete on those courses.

130 would help with the height, but not with the spin.

I hate to say it in the glorious Nippon thread, but what you seek sounds like the KBS Tour?

Would one of the new TT shafts I haven't paid attention to fit that bill, also?

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

120 profiles pretty similar to the spo but in my hands they couldn't be more different. I did have to go back to a lil higher spin ball this year but still in love with spo a year later and did not like the 120 at all.

I have a set just been hesitant to put them in. Going in a different set, not breaking up the gamers yet. My swing is very much like Garcias, inside out, timing is important, rather than hit the push cut like he does I'm always shut to path afraid of the right side. That coupled with wanting more height has me thinking 130 might be better.

I would agree with 130 being more what you are looking for on paper. They would also be where I would go if I was looking for some more height.

I guess I could also get away with just a touch more spin instead of height too. I'm definitely jealous of some of the + guys I play with that hit moon balls. Have a lot of experience with this stuff? Check my swing vid in the Wrx gear trials if you think you can help. Appreciate the responses.

I do not have much experience in swing help. My swing has basically been self built through many many many hours on the range. I do know I am a low spin player throughout the bag and the spo are quite low spin as well to the point I was having a lot of trouble keeping the ball in the air on the course. I do not have the as high a launch with the spo as I did with say kbs tours either but I still hit he ball quite high. Going from 2015 chrome soft to 2016 b330s has helped but maybe not as much as a shaft change would for you. I would def give the 130 a try and go from there.

TM M6 9 Graphite Design HD 6x
TM M6 15 Graphite Design TP 7x
TM M6 18 Graphite Design VR 8x
Mizuno JPX 921 SEL 4-G Nippon SPO

Mizuno T22 56D, 61X Nippon SPO
Byron Morgan DH89 SSS 350g KBS CT Tour black

What's the closest non-Nippon shaft most similar to the Modus 120? Thinking about how the shaft bends and flexes (EI profile?) not ball flight.

917 D2 8.50* - Tensei CK Pro White 60
917 F2 13.5* - Rogue Max 70
816 H2 19.0* - D+ Plus 90
716 T-MB (3i, 4i) - Modus 120
716 CB (5-PW) - Modus 120
Hogan TK15 - 49, 55
Edel Deschutes

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1457364-pitchinwedges-witb/page__p__15152218#entry15152218"][color=#0000ff][b]Photo WITB[/b][/color][/url]

I hate to say it in the glorious Nippon thread, but what you seek sounds like the KBS Tour?

Kbs tour was actually the first thing that came to my mind for him as well but I was afraid to utter such words on this hollowed thread.

TM M6 9 Graphite Design HD 6x
TM M6 15 Graphite Design TP 7x
TM M6 18 Graphite Design VR 8x
Mizuno JPX 921 SEL 4-G Nippon SPO

Mizuno T22 56D, 61X Nippon SPO
Byron Morgan DH89 SSS 350g KBS CT Tour black

I currently play 120S in my wedges and I am not sure if I like that approach too much playing 120X in my irons.

I could go for 120X but I see NS makes wedge shafts. Any feedback on how those play compared to my 120S/120X?

How does the s feel in the wedges? A lot of players prefer softer in their wedges to induce better feel on feel shots. I believe it was Butch who convinced Tiger to play softer shafts in his wedges than in his irons.

Feels fine but sometimes I don't get the bite I expect on some of my better struck shots and I wonder if the stiff tip is killing too much spin

Kbs tour was actually the first thing that came to my mind for him as well but I was afraid to utter such words on this hollowed thread.

I'll check those out too, have a set of mp5s with kbs tour in the garage for some reason :)

My affinity for Nippon started when I had bad elbow pain and the SPO with prosoft inserts immediately fixed that.

What's the closest non-Nippon shaft most similar to the Modus 120? Thinking about how the shaft bends and flexes (EI profile?) not ball flight.

In terms of EI profile only, DG R300 is almost identical to Modus 120 Stiff.

then what does s300 play similiar to? and what does 120x play like

[size=4][font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][b]DRIVER[/b]- Callaway Rogue Oban Tour Limited 60s
[b]3 WOOD[/b]- GBB Epic Oban Kiyoshi Gold 75s
[b]HYBRID[/b]- Titleist 818 H1 19/23 Hybrid Atmos HB Tour Spec 85s
[b]IRONS[/b]- Srixon 765/565 Nippon Modus 105s
[b]GAP[/b]- Callaway MD4 Chrome 52 Modus 105
[b]SAND[/b]- Callaway MD4 Chrome 54 Modus 105
[b]LOB[/b]- Callaway MD3 Chrome 58 Modus 105
[b]PUTTER[/b]- Bettinardi Queen Bee #6
[b]BALL[/b]- Callaway Chrome Soft X[/font][/size]

how do u like the 120s

[size=4][font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][b]DRIVER[/b]- Callaway Rogue Oban Tour Limited 60s

It's crazy how there really aren't any highlights of that monumental win. I did find a ridiculous video on a conspiracy theory on they used magnets to rig the win for him.

Huh??? How is that even possible?

You gotta post a link to this.

PXG Black Ops 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 6X

PXG Gen 5 0311 15* - Aldila Tour Blue 75X

PXG  Gen 5 0311 19* - Aldila Tour Blue 85X

PXG 0311T Gen 5 4-P - DG120 X100

Titleist Vokey SM9 50*, 56*, 60* - DGTI S400

PXG Bat Attack H

Chrome Soft/Vice Pro Lime

It's crazy how there really aren't any highlights of that monumental win. I did find a ridiculous video on a conspiracy theory on they used magnets to rig the win for him.

No credibility whatsoever, but here it is for your viewing pleasure. I haven't watched it, so don't really know the full scope of his alleged theory.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUSc8Z2FdtE

@therealping

what does the 130s play similiar to, i hit the 120 and it was very low

No credibility whatsoever, but here it is for your viewing pleasure. I haven't watched it, so don't really know the full scope of his alleged theory.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUSc8Z2FdtE

That guy is freaking nuts. Think he watched the movie 23 too much

Callaway Paradym TD Ventus 6S Black Velocore
TM Sim2 3 wood Tour AD DI 7x
TM Sim 5 wood Ventus Blue Velocore 8x
Mizuno JPX 923 Modus 120x 
Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide
Vokeys SM9 56,60

In terms of EI profile only, DG R300 is almost identical to Modus 120 Stiff.

Had no idea... Thought the 120 had a unique EI profile given how Nippon describes them.

917 D2 8.50* - Tensei CK Pro White 60
917 F2 13.5* - Rogue Max 70
816 H2 19.0* - D+ Plus 90
716 T-MB (3i, 4i) - Modus 120
716 CB (5-PW) - Modus 120
Hogan TK15 - 49, 55
Edel Deschutes

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1457364-pitchinwedges-witb/page__p__15152218#entry15152218"][color=#0000ff][b]Photo WITB[/b][/color][/url]

Mark,

Thanks for sharing all your knowledge on here. I'm looking at switching to Nippon next season. Currently play KBS Tour S+ in 716 AP2 but will be switching to the Apex Pro's. I was almost a spot-on match for the KBS Tour X using the newest version of Mizuno's shaft optimizer software. 2nd reccomemdation was PX LZ 6.5, 3rd was PX 6.0 (I played 6.0's for several years and played the original

Rifle's before that.) I have 88mph 6 iron swing speed with a strong load, quick tempo/transition and mid release. Definitely more of an aggressive hitter than a swinger and I have a tendency to get pretty steep. I've always played a penetrating ball...looking to launch it a bit higher, especially in the long irons, but have found my dispersion is best with a stiffer tip section. Been finding that in general I launch X better/higher than S. I've been experimenting with the Nippon 105X in MP-5 from Mizuno fit cart (only Nippon Modus they offer) and I absolutely love the feel of the shaft and launch/spin is great but I'm worried it's too light. From everything I've read I'm leaning towards the 125X but I wanted to get your insight. I'd appreciate any input you can offer. Thanks!

Mark,

Thanks for sharing all your knowledge on here. I'm looking at switching to Nippon next season. Currently play KBS Tour S+ in 716 AP2 but will be switching to the Apex Pro's. I was almost a spot-on match for the KBS Tour X using the newest version of Mizuno's shaft optimizer software. 2nd reccomemdation was PX LZ 6.5, 3rd was PX 6.0 (I played 6.0's for several years and played the original

Rifle's before that.) I have 88mph 6 iron swing speed with a strong load, quick tempo/transition and mid release. Definitely more of an aggressive hitter than a swinger and I have a tendency to get pretty steep. I've always played a penetrating ball...looking to launch it a bit higher, especially in the long irons, but have found my dispersion is best with a stiffer tip section. Been finding that in general I launch X better/higher than S. I've been experimenting with the Nippon 105X in MP-5 from Mizuno fit cart (only Nippon Modus they offer) and I absolutely love the feel of the shaft and launch/spin is great but I'm worried it's too light. From everything I've read I'm leaning towards the 125X but I wanted to get your insight. I'd appreciate any input you can offer. Thanks!

Absolutely, the whole time I was reading your post i was thinking 125 before you mentioned it at the end. I think the 125X is going to be a great fit for what you described. Possibly soft-stepped, but if you like X flex and feel it launches better for you then by all means try it out. It isn't a demanding xflex to begin with. The stiff tip feels great and has just the right amount of impact response I want. The mid kick is great. It will be similar to the PX LZ but from what I've heard feels a tad heavier and a tad less spin.

TaylorMade Qi10 LS 9° w/ PX HZRDUS Gen4 Black 75 6.0

TaylorMade SIM ROCKET 14.5° w/ PX Handcrafted EvenFlow Black 75 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 3-19° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 4-22° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

Srixon ZU85 5 26° w/ PX RDX Smoke 100 6.5

Srixon ZX7 6-PW w/ Nippon Modus Tour125 X

Cleveland 588 RTX 52° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Srixon WG-706 56° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Scotty Cameron SSS Circle T Newport Beach w/ UST Frequency Filter

Keeping this rock rolling. I tried the 105, didn't like it but I was having a bad swing day at the range. Went to a proper fitting and hit the 120 S, 130 S, Project x LZ 6.0, up against my Black golds and my S300's. Mine are set up +1/2" in the mizuno mp33 and titleist 670. I was fit using the mizuno MP4 head at standard length.

Couldn't get on with the project x but hit the 120 and the 130 well. Both felt great and both had a better ball flight than the black golds or the DG's. Initially the fitter recommended I stay with the black golds. He mainly looked at the acceleration profile using flightscope and the DG's showed a clear flip release whereas the black golds showed a nice steady release action.

When I hot the nippons the 120 acceleration profiles were good and almost traced each other they were so consistent. The I hit the 130's which also had a good acceleration profile but went a full club further!

The numbers were 90mph speed, spin around 6000-6500 for the shafts with the 130 a bit lower at 56-800. The smash factor and ball speed was better on the 130s so the carry went from 160yds to 170 yds.

Based on this he is sending me a 130s in my 6 iron and a 125s in my 7 iron for a trial. I'm left kicking myself I didn't hit the 120X or the 130X and a couple of questions about my numbers that I may quiz him on.

let us know how that works out

Can anyone recommend some "modus" shafts to try out?

I currently have ns pro 1150gh tour shafts in stiff flex. I really like the way this shaft feels, everything about it is perfect apart from the ball flight, I can't keep it down!

I have tried as much as possible to learn how to hit the ball lower but I still struggle and on windy days I would like a shaft that will help me a bit

My SS with 6iron is 86-88

Driver 105

Mid everything really, tempo, transition, release but I would say slightly more of a hitter than swinger

Any recommendations are appreciated, I want to narrow my choice down to two shafts ideally that I can test over the winter against my current ns pro shaft

I currently have ns pro 1150gh tour shafts in stiff flex. I really like the way this shaft feels, everything about it is perfect apart from the ball flight, I can't keep it down!

I have tried as much as possible to learn how to hit the ball lower but I still struggle and on windy days I would like a shaft that will help me a bit

Driver 105

Mid everything really, tempo, transition, release but I would say slightly more of a hitter than swinger

Any recommendations are appreciated, I want to narrow my choice down to two shafts ideally that I can test over the winter against my current ns pro shaft

Similar numbers. 125 stiff

Cobra Fly Z +
Ping G25 3 wood
Titleist TMB 3 iron
Titleist AP2 710 4-PW
Odyssey 9 X Milled Versa

fujikura pro 60 S
fujikura pro 70 S
modus 125 S

Driver 105

I'd say 125S or 120S hardstepped / 120X softstepped. The 1150 to me had a real snap/thump feel like DG and was oddly balanced to me. Felt a lot tip heavy. That makes me lean more towards the Tour120 for you to try.

TaylorMade Qi10 LS 9° w/ PX HZRDUS Gen4 Black 75 6.0

TaylorMade SIM ROCKET 14.5° w/ PX Handcrafted EvenFlow Black 75 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 3-19° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 4-22° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

Srixon ZU85 5 26° w/ PX RDX Smoke 100 6.5

Srixon ZX7 6-PW w/ Nippon Modus Tour125 X

Cleveland 588 RTX 52° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Srixon WG-706 56° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Scotty Cameron SSS Circle T Newport Beach w/ UST Frequency Filter

Mark,

I have read many of these pages and will be switching to Nippon in my Srixon Z745's. I currently play KBS Tour S+ and they spin way to much and I can hook them two states over at times. My 6i SS is 95 with a 190-195 carry. I have a late release and can have a tendency to come too far from the inside. I was fitted into KBS Tour X early in the year but never made the change. I am not a PX fan and have typically played DG before switching to the KBS in Jan. I love the feel, but the ballooning and spin are just too much. I was thinking 125X, but wanted to get your thoughts on this as well. If I go that route, what Nippon shaft would be a god match for my wedges? Thanks!

Anyone got any feedback on Nippon Modus 105 wedge shafts?? Looking for some shafts to put in my Mac daddy 2 heads.

i have the 115 in my 56 and the 125 in my 52 and they are awesome, great flight