2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

It just me or are a lot of pros switching to Nippon Iron Shafts?

aswo3332

There was some early tour issued wedges that had different types of graphics. Some said Tour WV125S (New modus wedge,) some said "WV125 Tour Only" (Was original WV in new modus graphics.) The silver vs. red silkscreen on the iron shafts mean Japan vs. US issue.

TaylorMade Qi10 LS 9° w/ PX HZRDUS Gen4 Black 75 6.0

TaylorMade SIM ROCKET 14.5° w/ PX Handcrafted EvenFlow Black 75 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 3-19° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 4-22° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

Srixon ZU85 5 26° w/ PX RDX Smoke 100 6.5

Srixon ZX7 6-PW w/ Nippon Modus Tour125 X

Cleveland 588 RTX 52° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Srixon WG-706 56° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Scotty Cameron SSS Circle T Newport Beach w/ UST Frequency Filter

Absolutely, the whole time I was reading your post i was thinking 125 before you mentioned it at the end. I think the 125X is going to be a great fit for what you described. Possibly soft-stepped, but if you like X flex and feel it launches better for you then by all means try it out. It isn't a demanding xflex to begin with. The stiff tip feels great and has just the right amount of impact response I want. The mid kick is great. It will be similar to the PX LZ but from what I've heard feels a tad heavier and a tad less spin.

Thanks for the reply! Which wedge shaft would you recommend to go with this?

There was some early tour issued wedges that had different types of graphics. Some said Tour WV125S (New modus wedge,) some said "WV125 Tour Only" (Was original WV in new modus graphics.) The silver vs. red silkscreen on the iron shafts mean Japan vs. US issue.

so there is different marking on TI wedge shafts?

also red silkscreen is Japan issue?

thanks!

Absolutely, the whole time I was reading your post i was thinking 125 before you mentioned it at the end. I think the 125X is going to be a great fit for what you described. Possibly soft-stepped, but if you like X flex and feel it launches better for you then by all means try it out. It isn't a demanding xflex to begin with. The stiff tip feels great and has just the right amount of impact response I want. The mid kick is great. It will be similar to the PX LZ but from what I've heard feels a tad heavier and a tad less spin.

Thanks for the reply! Which wedge shaft would you recommend to go with this?

I'd say 125 iron shaft if you like a little tip stiffness and you plan to full swing your wedges. If you only 1/2 or 3/4 your wedges and want more spin then the 125 Wedge shaft maybe. I play 125X irons and in my gap I play the 125 X iron shaft. It would be in all my wedges if I didn't have a private stock of the prototype C10 wedge shaft I love.

so there is different marking on TI wedge shafts?

also red silkscreen is Japan issue?

thanks!

i'd have to see a pic to tell you for sure. Some are early release/prototype, some are japan, some are U.S. Regardless Tour Issue Nippon vs. retail Nippon is 100% identical.

What kind of spin # differences are people seeing from stepping 120x's either way?

My experience stepping a shaft is more about feel for the golfer and spin only ever varies like 100-300 rpm's max.

Recently fit for PX LZ in 5.5. Love the kick and dispersion in the longer irons but do not like the feel in the shorter irons. Way too boardy even though I don't have a problem loading them. I have played the 105 stiff in Pings almost 2 years ago. Really like the shaft but dispersion was not good. Which way would you guys direct me. I have been thinking 105 in an X and soft step. After reading many of the posts, the 120s seem similar to the PX LZ. Just looking for more feel. 6 iron SS is 84-85 and more of a sweeper with an average to late load. TIA.

Recently fit for PX LZ in 5.5. Love the kick and dispersion in the longer irons but do not like the feel in the shorter irons. Way too boardy even though I don't have a problem loading them. I have played the 105 stiff in Pings almost 2 years ago. Really like the shaft but dispersion was not good. Which way would you guys direct me. I have been thinking 105 in an X and soft step. After reading many of the posts, the 120s seem similar to the PX LZ. Just looking for more feel. 6 iron SS is 84-85 and more of a sweeper with an average to late load. TIA.

105X will get you a little more weight and soft-stepping will help feel. Will still play stiffer than PX LZ 5.5 i'd think.

c taper is boardy and harsh to me, the 120 is the opposite

[size=4][font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][b]DRIVER[/b]- Callaway Rogue Oban Tour Limited 60s
[b]3 WOOD[/b]- GBB Epic Oban Kiyoshi Gold 75s
[b]HYBRID[/b]- Titleist 818 H1 19/23 Hybrid Atmos HB Tour Spec 85s
[b]IRONS[/b]- Srixon 765/565 Nippon Modus 105s
[b]GAP[/b]- Callaway MD4 Chrome 52 Modus 105
[b]SAND[/b]- Callaway MD4 Chrome 54 Modus 105
[b]LOB[/b]- Callaway MD3 Chrome 58 Modus 105
[b]PUTTER[/b]- Bettinardi Queen Bee #6
[b]BALL[/b]- Callaway Chrome Soft X[/font][/size]

Interesting...im dying to try some Modus. Just gotta pull the trigger

smoother and better then kbs tour, c taper, s300, project x, and steelfiber 110

[size=4][font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][b]DRIVER[/b]- Callaway Rogue Oban Tour Limited 60s

I need to get fitted for these. hitting DGs300 on my AP2's right now. natural fade but a sweeper in and out swing.

Ping G430 MAX Rogue Silver 60S
915F Rogue Black 80S
915H Rogue Black 85S
ZX Utility 4i Recoil F4 110
Srixon ZX5/ZX7 Nippon Modus 120S
SM6 52.08F | 56.08M | 60.10S
Scotty Cameron Mil-Spec 33/350G
restoration on my Mil-Spec

I'm back to the 125s.

120s on BST

What do you like better between the two? I've still never hit 125's!

Smoke 9* GD IZ 5s
Smoke 🔹🔹🔹15* GD IZ 6s
Smoke 19*GD IZ 7s
T150's 5-PW KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 50/12F KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 54/10S KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 58/08M KBS Tour
TM Spider Tour X

Nike 006 Paul Casey Proto 
Nike 006 Rory Proto 

PRO V1 #36 or #70

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/973333-mnnikeguy-nike-oven-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

I'm back to the 125s.

120s on BST

What do you like better between the two? I've still never hit 125's!

Two noticeably different profiles. I do tend to spin the 125s more (sometimes too much) but I like the way they react on partial/feel shots. The 125s feel more uniform and balanced.

The 120s were too tip specific. Maybe I'm over analyzing, but I could feel a difference in the way each shaft loads.

My natural shot shape is a slight fade, and I don't mind that. The 120s were a slight draw, but that's obviously me adjusting my swing to compensate for the feel of the 120.

Just seems I like the familiar results of the 125s more. I hit my initial and only hole in one with the 125s, so I'm a bit partial.

I could write an essay on this, but to condense my thoughts I'll just say the 125 is more user friendly (universal) for my swing.

@therealping

I got the 120's I have to notice any weak feel. It's just a different kick.

I am debating 130 or 125 stiff in my CB57. I ordered the 130 but am now thinking I may want 125... this thread kills me to read sometimes.

I did get 125 wdg shafts and am stocked to see how they compare to kbs wedge shafts

The 130 is one of the few Nippon I've yet to try. I've avoided it for the sole reason of people saying it's difficult to flight. Although I'm a hack, when I'm fluid, I like to have options in flighting the ball.

It's easier for me to feel/accomplish this with a more traditional profile like say an spb, 125, s300, c taper etc.

I think the 125 is the cross breed of a 120 and spb.

One thing I'm certain of, is whatever it is that we think we're looking for, simply doesn't exist¡

@therealping

Hey Mark and anyone else out there. After my post the other day, I was able to go hit the 105 and the 120. I tried them both in stiff again as they did not have the X. I was also able to hit the 130s in X but I found these were wayyyy too much shaft for me. If I went 130s I may would even soft step a stiff. Again I am coming from Project X LZ in 5.5 and I am finding I do not like the feel of the short irons. They are just too boardy. The longer irons are good as I can feel the kick I like but once you get down to the 9, PW, GW, they just lose any feel that I normally like. I've got this in my head now and I end up swinging too hard with these shafts in the shorter irons and it kills any scoring shots.

So after hitting both shafts we determined that the 120s were a bit better for me. Lots of feel throughout the set. The issue again is dispersion. I think all that feel I love is translating into a bit more draw than I like. So I ask those who have tried the 120s, how much difference in the feel of the shaft is there between an X soft stepped and a S straight in? I am leaning to the X soft stepped to tighten things up but without hitting them I just do not want to make a mistake. If anyone has tried the S straight in vs an X soft stepped, did it tighten up dispersion? Looking back through a bunch of old posts with Wishon graphs, the 120X seems to be much softer throughout the profile until you get to the tip than just about any shaft (S300, PX 5.5, PXi 5.5) in stiff. Also the 120 in stiff actually is stiffer in the next to last measurement than the X (511 vs 495). I think I am getting too technical. Anyway, any advice is appreciated.

i had the exact problem with the s, and soft stepped a 120x one time and it was perfect, ball went straight went it should have. i hit the 120s left and right and dispersion was not good. i had s300, kbs tour, proj x 5.5, steelfiber 110s, and the nippon was the best for me in that set up

I got the 120's I have to notice any weak feel. It's just a different kick.

I am debating 130 or 125 stiff in my CB57. I ordered the 130 but am now thinking I may want 125... this thread kills me to read sometimes.

I did get 125 wdg shafts and am stocked to see how they compare to kbs wedge shafts

I agree with the different kick comment 100%. So much so I never could get along with it. I hit more shanks on the range in 2 weeks with the 120tx shafts in my irons than I had in my lifetime. Probably hit 30-40 shanks in the two weeks while practicing every day at the range. Swapped them out for the 125x and haven't come anywhere near the hosel since. And that was 2 seasons ago, and I'm on the range every day in season. When I would find the face with the 120, results weren't pretty either. The dispersion was off the charts, and not in a good way. They just spun far too much for me. I tested the 130x for a few weeks as well, straightest ball flight for me but a bit of a one trick pony. High and straight. Tougher to flight down and work right or left. 125 is the perfect profile for me, little lower launch and easier to shape, without losing control as with the 120.

I also had the Modus 125 wedge shaft in my lob wedge for a couple seasons and really liked that on partial shots and around the greens. Only shot I wasn't 100% comfortable with it on is full shots, I found myself clubbing up and hitting 55* more often from the top end of 60* range. Surprisingly, while I was testing the 130x in my irons I went 130s in my 60*, and fell in love. I think with it being an overall stout shaft it's stable enough to hit full shots with, but also gives that added play on partial shots and around the greens with the softer tip section.

Why are you getting away from the 120 to 125 or 130? What shafts have you liked in the past prior to 120? What are your struggles on a bad day, if any?

Titleist TSR3 8* PX HZRDUS Blue 
Titleist TSR2+ PX HZRDUS Yellow
Titleist 980 17* Project X black
Titleist T100 4-6 Project X

Titleist 620mb 7-9 Project X
Titleist SM8 46* PX
Titleist SM8 53* PX
Titleist SM8 59* PX
Scotty Special Select Newport2
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1141363-golflefty-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

I agree with the different kick comment 100%. So much so I never could get along with it. I hit more shanks on the range in 2 weeks with the 120tx shafts in my irons than I had in my lifetime. Probably hit 30-40 shanks in the two weeks while practicing every day at the range.

This is the exact same thing that happened to me.

With 120 Stiff...in several sets of irons.

I hadn't hit the hosel in years...and my iron wear has traditionally been closer to the toe.

I got to the point to where I couldn't get through a full bucket without clanking 10-20 off the hosel.

Hosels went away with a re-shaft.

Now that I'm done with my Christmas shopping for the family, I can again focus on golf.

Do any high ball hitters use the 130x? I'm afraid of ballooning with these shafts (soft tips)as I'm already a high ball hitter.

I'm a fairly high ball hitter and I play the 130 in stiff and have had no issues with ballooning. Just a high penetrating flight, and haven't had any issues hitting into the wind. Hope this helps!

I agree with the different kick comment 100%. So much so I never could get along with it. I hit more shanks on the range in 2 weeks with the 120tx shafts in my irons than I had in my lifetime. Probably hit 30-40 shanks in the two weeks while practicing every day at the range.

This is the exact same thing that happened to me.

With 120 Stiff...in several sets of irons.

I hadn't hit the hosel in years...and my iron wear has traditionally been closer to the toe.

I got to the point to where I couldn't get through a full bucket without clanking 10-20 off the hosel.

Hosels went away with a re-shaft.

What is the reason for the hosel shanks? What about the profile could lend itself to more shanking is what I wonder?

See I have noticed I have hit more hosels with 120X than my old shafts but mostly I hit them well, but I never had 1 single hosel shank until the 120X.