It just me or are a lot of pros switching to Nippon Iron Shafts?

aswo3332

I do hit the 130s high but I also hit the 105s high. I honestly did not see a huge difference in overall height. The 130s get there quicker than the 105s but they peak about the same. I think the weight differences helped me but I definitely find the 130s much better on dispersion. You have to put a really bad swing on them to get them offline. I would put a good swing on the 105s and it would just draw more than I wanted. I would try to compensate and then get blocks to the right. With the 130s its line it up at the pin and swing for me.

As for wedges, I still use the 125s in X flex soft stepped. It is the best wedge shaft I have found. Very heavy feeling with good kick and thump. It is so similar to the S400 feel on the bend profile side with the Nippon feel overall. I did not like the WV shafts but never tried the Modus wedges which I think are just rebranded.

Appreciate the feedback - so i take it the reputation of the 130s being 'rebar' is far from accurate?

i was concerned about the loading

coming from steelfiber 110s cw

did you or anyone try the 1150s - it's weight is half way between the 105s and the 130s - wondering if it is better at managing transition/hook potential, etc

thanks

Intrigued by the comment about 105s being loose on the dispersion side. Did you find the 130s easy to transition to and what do you think you gained (or lost) .

87mph 6 iron late release, moderate transition - debating 1150s, 105s, 130 r or s

thank you

I wouldn't be too intrigued about it. This will happen with the 105's if your tempo isn't smooth. They aren't really designed for people with fast tempo.

The 105 is very easy to load which makes them very easy to over load. If you have a high swing speed then you should probably have a smooth tempo if you want to play the 105.

thank you. Any view/advice on the 130 r vs s ?

84mph 8iron, late release, moderate transition

What would you guys put in your wedge if you have 120s in irons. 120s or 115 wedge shaft?

i have a 115 in my 56 and a 125 in my 52 and they are both perfect and feel awesome

How did you end up with opposite weights? I tried 125 on my 56 and it feels Heavy. I still wanna use the shaft because I paid alot for it :(

i ordered a 115 and 125 to demo. i take half swings with my 56 so i figured i would try the lighter weight in that one and the 125 in the 52 because i usually take full swings with that one. so far the experiment is working because i love both

[size=4][font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][b]DRIVER[/b]- Callaway Rogue Oban Tour Limited 60s
[b]3 WOOD[/b]- GBB Epic Oban Kiyoshi Gold 75s
[b]HYBRID[/b]- Titleist 818 H1 19/23 Hybrid Atmos HB Tour Spec 85s
[b]IRONS[/b]- Srixon 765/565 Nippon Modus 105s
[b]GAP[/b]- Callaway MD4 Chrome 52 Modus 105
[b]SAND[/b]- Callaway MD4 Chrome 54 Modus 105
[b]LOB[/b]- Callaway MD3 Chrome 58 Modus 105
[b]PUTTER[/b]- Bettinardi Queen Bee #6
[b]BALL[/b]- Callaway Chrome Soft X[/font][/size]

Just ordered a set of 125x 3 to pw to install in my Callaway proto/ '13 xforged irons.

I am currently alternating between x100 ss and the old Rifle flighted 6.5 in these clubs; Rifle are straighter but half a club shorter than the x100 for me. Both sets suit my late release.

I think I will end up soft stepping once, but will try them straight in in a couple of clubs first up.

I can't wait for them to arrive, thanks to all, particularly Mark, for so much information in this thread. Wish me luck!

Just bought a set of Srixon z765 with modus 120 X, I have played x100 my whole life with s400 in wedges. I decided to make the move to the modus as I love the feel. I am torn on how to approach my wedges. I plan to put a 120 in my gap wedge to match the irons, but where I have questions is my 54/58. Should I stick with s400, consider putting the same shaft as my irons. Buy the 120 in TX and soft step twice (the TX weight 126 grams)? The wedge specific modus will likely launch higher than I am looking for and my weight choice are 122 vs 133 ( I have heard the 125 plays heavy). Any thoughts?

Intrigued by the comment about 105s being loose on the dispersion side. Did you find the 130s easy to transition to and what do you think you gained (or lost) .

87mph 6 iron late release, moderate transition - debating 1150s, 105s, 130 r or s

thank you

I wouldn't be too intrigued about it. This will happen with the 105's if your tempo isn't smooth. They aren't really designed for people with fast tempo.

The 105 is very easy to load which makes them very easy to over load. If you have a high swing speed then you should probably have a smooth tempo if you want to play the 105.

Can anyone give me their sense of suitability of the 130 regular vs stiff question above

whether ns 1150 s may fit in between them and the 105

and whether the 105x would solve some of the dispersion / hook issues when loading gets more aggressive?

much appreciated

I ordered a set of Srixon 765's with 125 Stiff and some Cleveland RTX3's with Modus 125 Wedge Stiff. I'll be able to compare 120 and 130 that I've had in the past to the 125, and I've demoed the 105 too. I may regret not getting S400 in the wedges because that is what I am used to. I just felt like trying something different.

They are a fantastic shaft much more consistent than true temper. They've been in my clubs for two seasons. I'm also a nxfit (certified nippon fitter) if you have any questions.

I'll add to this. Currently looking at the Srixon's, and have played X100 my whole life....They only offer the 120 in X for the Nippon. Is this going to be similar to the X100? 97-100mph swing speed for my 6 iron....

I ordered a set of Srixon 765's with 125 Stiff and some Cleveland RTX3's with Modus 125 Wedge Stiff. I'll be able to compare 120 and 130 that I've had in the past to the 125, and I've demoed the 105 too. I may regret not getting S400 in the wedges because that is what I am used to. I just felt like trying something different.

how did the 105 compare to the others

[size=4][font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][b]DRIVER[/b]- Callaway Rogue Oban Tour Limited 60s

Just bought a set of Srixon z765 with modus 120 X, I have played x100 my whole life with s400 in wedges. I decided to make the move to the modus as I love the feel. I am torn on how to approach my wedges. I plan to put a 120 in my gap wedge to match the irons, but where I have questions is my 54/58. Should I stick with s400, consider putting the same shaft as my irons. Buy the 120 in TX and soft step twice (the TX weight 126 grams)? The wedge specific modus will likely launch higher than I am looking for and my weight choice are 122 vs 133 ( I have heard the 125 plays heavy). Any thoughts?

I played S400 for years and now use the Tour125 iron shaft in my GW and love it. Alternatively the original Nippon WV, with the purple triangle on it, will be closer to the launch of your 120 IMO. Same 105, 115, 125 options as new Modus Wedge.

TaylorMade Qi10 LS 9° w/ PX HZRDUS Gen4 Black 75 6.0

TaylorMade SIM ROCKET 14.5° w/ PX Handcrafted EvenFlow Black 75 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 3-19° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 4-22° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

Srixon ZU85 5 26° w/ PX RDX Smoke 100 6.5

Srixon ZX7 6-PW w/ Nippon Modus Tour125 X

Cleveland 588 RTX 52° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Srixon WG-706 56° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Scotty Cameron SSS Circle T Newport Beach w/ UST Frequency Filter

thank you

Can anyone give me their sense of suitability of the 130 regular vs stiff question above

and whether the 105x would solve some of the dispersion / hook issues when loading gets more aggressive?

much appreciated

Maybe Mark can jump in here but it is my opinion you need stiff at that SS and transition. Feel is so subjective and so that is the caveat. The 130s will feel stiffer in the top end of the shaft but have a really stout kick at the bottom. I am ok with this as I try to hold the release as well. A bad swing with an early release and thin shot will feel terrible and the shaft will feel too stiff. Having said that, if you go regular, I think you will have dispersion problems. I would go stiff and then worst case, you can soft step if you feel they are too much. I don't think they are at all. I want some beef there so I can feel like I can go after it if needed. Just to put this into perspective, I hated 5.5 Project X LZs feel and loved the 130s.

how did the 105 compare to the others

I can let you know in a few days as far as the 125's, but the 105's feel more evenly balanced than the 130's which have a pretty strong counterbalancing effect. Compared to the 120's, I think the 105's feel more normal, solid, and tighter if that makes sense. Something about my swing just never gelled with the 120's.

The 105's are pretty stout for as light as they are. The dispersion on the 105 was not as tight as the DG S300, but the 105's launched higher and got better distance. I could game them in a heartbeat if forced to do so. I was testing the 105 in a Ping Iblade, so it was not apples to apples with the other shafts. Take it with a grain of salt, blah, blah, ymmv, etc. ;)

Mark has said in the past that the X-Stiff 105 is a tour level shaft, and I agree with that statement. Not that the X won't fit most WRX'ers (;)), but the S is plenty for me, but maybe a hard-stepped 105 or soft-stepped X would get the dispersion tighter. I think if they made a 105-version in a 112-115g weight, we might have a golf shaft unicorn on our hands. :)

thank you

much appreciated

Maybe Mark can jump in here but it is my opinion you need stiff at that SS and transition. Feel is so subjective and so that is the caveat. The 130s will feel stiffer in the top end of the shaft but have a really stout kick at the bottom. I am ok with this as I try to hold the release as well. A bad swing with an early release and thin shot will feel terrible and the shaft will feel too stiff. Having said that, if you go regular, I think you will have dispersion problems. I would go stiff and then worst case, you can soft step if you feel they are too much. I don't think they are at all. I want some beef there so I can feel like I can go after it if needed. Just to put this into perspective, I hated 5.5 Project X LZs feel and loved the 130s.

Thank You. I am coming from pxi 6.0 and I loved them, but wanted a higher ball flight while still being stable enough to hold off my over-draw miss. Currently in steelfiber 110cw - stable, but not enough in the handle and flight is not there for what I want.

Mark? Any words of wisdom?

Really appreciated Gents

TX straight in trust me, do not softstep!

These play weak to flex for sure, the 125 plays a bit closers but the tx is similar to a softish x100...just better feel and a bit more consistent with higher launch

much appreciated

Thank You. I am coming from pxi 6.0 and I loved them, but wanted a higher ball flight while still being stable enough to hold off my over-draw miss. Currently in steelfiber 110cw - stable, but not enough in the handle and flight is not there for what I want.

Mark? Any words of wisdom?

Really appreciated Gents

I tend to agree with the above but might say just go soft-stepped 130S from the getgo. 130S IMO would be closer to 6.3-6.5 so 130S soft-stepped would be closer to your 6.1-6.3 and then you can possibly double-soft-step if need be. I don't see 84mph being an issue with soft-stepped 130S. They are pretty stout and spin low on a high trajectory. Great feel, so much better than PX IMO which is kind of harsh and boardy / jerky. They WERE the best option for lag / late release people...until the 130 came around.

If you were dead set on 105 I might suggest 105X soft stepped of double soft stepped. 105 is so much lighter than 130 or PX, more like PXi. It is easy to load, softer/smoother feel than PXi and launches higher than PXi. I had to swing very smooth to get them to work for me. I got a very nice mid/high flight with mid spin and excellent dispersion, but I had to swing 80% every time. My usual 8i is like 155y, with 105x I had to slow up the swing and it was going like 145. Long irons I hit very very nice as I tend to not swing super hard on a long iron to begin with. The long irons had a nice higher trajectory and a soft high carry, distance was closer to what I'm used to, dispersion good. But there was always the dead left pull just lurking because of the weight for me. I usually play heavier stuff and 105 was just too much weight drop too fast for me. I've been in 125X for a year now, perhaps time to revisit 105X now that it's only 10g less than what I'm used to not 25g like when i was coming from heavy prototypes.

TaylorMade Qi10 LS 9° w/ PX HZRDUS Gen4 Black 75 6.0

TaylorMade SIM ROCKET 14.5° w/ PX Handcrafted EvenFlow Black 75 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 3-19° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 4-22° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

Srixon ZU85 5 26° w/ PX RDX Smoke 100 6.5

Srixon ZX7 6-PW w/ Nippon Modus Tour125 X

Cleveland 588 RTX 52° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Srixon WG-706 56° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Scotty Cameron SSS Circle T Newport Beach w/ UST Frequency Filter

GREAT INFO THANKS MARK, SOUNDS LIKE 105 IS GOING TO BE A WINNER FOR ME.

GREAT INFO THANKS MARK, SOUNDS LIKE 105 IS GOING TO BE A WINNER FOR ME.

Was a winner for me. Extremely smooth shaft and super easy to load.

Here is a slow motion shot with a my 6 iron. It's a X-Flex straight in. If you pay attention to the shaft (and not my ugly swing) it should give you an idea of how easy it is to load. Swing speed was 95mph with a carry of 186.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChZylVMlrBQ

Mark - I've played DG X100's, and tried Nippon 120x a few years ago. The 120x spun too much for me and ballooned...liked the feel, but performance was terrible. The DG shafts have always performed ok, but feel is terrible. Been thinking going to Project X LZ 6.5...I've hit them and the feel is pretty good. However, I haven't had the chance to try Nippon 125x. Would be interested in hearing your feedback on the 125x compared to the shafts I've listed above.

Mark - I've played DG X100's, and tried Nippon 120x a few years ago. The 120x spun too much for me and ballooned...liked the feel, but performance was terrible. The DG shafts have always performed ok, but feel is terrible. Been thinking going to Project X LZ 6.5...I've hit them and the feel is pretty good. However, I haven't had the chance to try Nippon 125x. Would be interested in hearing your feedback on the 125x compared to the shafts I've listed above.

I agree. I've played the X100 for the past 7 years and as soon as I hit the Nippon's I felt like I had been missing out. The feel of the Nippon is superior in every way.

In regards to ballooning, I had this problem with the 95 and 130. I didn't hit the 120 but I believe the 125 would give you an even higher launch. I'm just assuming that since the 130 launches higher than the 120.

How would u compare the 125 modus wedge shaft to the DG S400?

Rogue 10.5* GDIZ 55s
Rogue 17* GDIZ 75s
Titleist H1 3H GDDI 85s
PXG GEN6 0311P 5-GW Aerotech SteelFiber Private Reserve 110S
Vokey SM6 54-S, 58-M NS Pro Modus 105S
Toulon Austin Stroke Lab 34" Putter Pistol Grip

Chrome Soft/ProV1 

How would u compare the 125 modus wedge shaft to the DG S400?

I have been searching this myself, and have been using the search funtion at top to sort through these wonderful 124 pages of nippon goodness.

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/index.php?app=core&module=search&do=search&fromMainBar=1

Previously mentioned that 125 wedge plays closer to the S200. Other observation is that it is a little livelier than the S400. Some people have made the switch to 125 Wedge, while others went back to S400 or X100 soft stepped, etc. Depends on what you like in irons, and what you are familiar with versus looking for. I bought one to try, and will test this season...

Have Fun - Ready Golf - Repair Divots/Marks - FORE

I agree. I've played the X100 for the past 7 years and as soon as I hit the Nippon's I felt like I had been missing out. The feel of the Nippon is superior in every way.

In regards to ballooning, I had this problem with the 95 and 130. I didn't hit the 120 but I believe the 125 would give you an even higher launch. I'm just assuming that since the 130 launches higher than the 120.

The spin of 120x was the problem for me...not so much the launch. That's why I'm thinking LZ 6.5...they are low spin but have improved feel over std Project X and X100.