It just me or are a lot of pros switching to Nippon Iron Shafts?

aswo3332

Still bewildered why the modus 130s gets such a bad rap and is played by so few

Shouldn't Every late release/lag swinger be using this shaft?

Does anyone know a player on tour using it?

Plenty of players here extoll it's virtues

I am about to have a 105x ssx1 vs 130s shoot out - already thinking 130 will win out when i go after it

Keeping left away and getting the apex up are the keys i seek

Any insights to why so may shy away

Anyone have another shaft i can throw into the shootout?

thank you

I too was scared about the stoutness of the 130. I have them in X, I don't know my CHS with a 6 iron but it's my 190 club. My transition is smooth, slower overall tempo as well. I was playing S300 before. I will say the 130 do launch high, but I also launched the S300 high too. Biggest difference is to me is the 130's just want to go straight. I had a pretty big draw with the S300's. I can still hit a draw with the 130's if I need to. As far as weight goes, they feel lighter (to me) than S300's, perhaps it's the slight counterbalance.

I play in wind basically all year here, maybe June and July aren't as windy. The ball flight with the 130's is up and out, meaning, it's get up and goes. High without ballooning, at least for me. I'm also able to flight it down. I can't say enough good things about this shaft, and I will never switch again. Of course everyone swings differently so YMMV. Hope this helped a little haha!

I think I am all but sold on the 130 S (maybe ssx1)

straight and height both appeal to me

especially while holding left off for me

anyone with a view as to whether my modus wedge 125's in my wedges pair well with the 130s or should i consider the 130s throughout the bag?

appreciated

Still bewildered why the modus 130s gets such a bad rap and is played by so few

Shouldn't Every late release/lag swinger be using this shaft?

Does anyone know a player on tour using it?

Plenty of players here extoll it's virtues

I am about to have a 105x ssx1 vs 130s shoot out - already thinking 130 will win out when i go after it

Keeping left away and getting the apex up are the keys i seek

Any insights to why so may shy away

Anyone have another shaft i can throw into the shootout?

thank you

I too was scared about the stoutness of the 130. I have them in X, I don't know my CHS with a 6 iron but it's my 190 club. My transition is smooth, slower overall tempo as well. I was playing S300 before. I will say the 130 do launch high, but I also launched the S300 high too. Biggest difference is to me is the 130's just want to go straight. I had a pretty big draw with the S300's. I can still hit a draw with the 130's if I need to. As far as weight goes, they feel lighter (to me) than S300's, perhaps it's the slight counterbalance.

I play in wind basically all year here, maybe June and July aren't as windy. The ball flight with the 130's is up and out, meaning, it's get up and goes. High without ballooning, at least for me. I'm also able to flight it down. I can't say enough good things about this shaft, and I will never switch again. Of course everyone swings differently so YMMV. Hope this helped a little haha!

Did the s300 have a tendency to balloon?

For me, yes the S300's had a tendency to balloon. I had no idea they are supposed to be "low launch" but I never found that to be the case, again for me. I did have a steeper AOA then, but I'm not "shallow" by any means now and the 130's are WAY better. Straighter, almost forgiving if there is such a thing. I can work it if want to but the draw isn't "stock" anymore. Stock is high and straight, which is lovely. It's buttery soft at impact with a soft small kick through the ball. I've always been a high ball hitter with everything, so when I heard that the 130's were stout and high trajectory I thought I had chosen poorly. I ordered these shafts blind with my iron set pre-WRX days when I knew NOTHING about equipment. We have no fitters or launch monitors out here where I live so everything is a blind purchase. I got lucky I guess, and I'll never switch.

Morry,

130's definitely want to help you hit it high and very straight.

I'm still debating on wedge shafts, I like the s400's I have now, but the Nippon feel is addicting and if I can get that in my wedges too that would be great.

I'm thinking either 130's in all my wedges, or going 130x in my 52, and 125 Modus Wedge in my 56, and 60.

I've said it multiple times, if you like the performance and action of an S400 and swing a stiff flex, get the Modus Tour 125 X (not Modus 125 Wedge) in a 9 iron or 8 iron and put those in your wedges. You will get a 130+ gram shaft. The 9 iron is a bit firmer but I have no issues swinging it. Get the 8 iron is you like your wedges on the softer side more S200 flex with S400 action. I love this combo and it gives me the heft of the S400, that great thump at the bottom of S400s on full swings and a great feel and touch around the greens. All of this with the classic Nippon smoothness. Again all of this is for stiff flex swingers and basically Tiger Stepping. Not sure what to recommend if you are in an X flex.

NS Pro's parent company makes high tech springs for satellites and other things requiring extremely tight tolerances and quality components. Because of the way that the steel is treated, it does not deform through impact like other shafts hence straighter and longer. Plus you can't beat Japanese steel, feels so smooth. NS Pro is light years ahead of everyone else who makes steel shafts.

NS Pro's parent company makes high tech springs for satellites and other things requiring extremely tight tolerances and quality components. Because of the way that the steel is treated, it does not deform through impact like other shafts hence straighter and longer. Plus you can't beat Japanese steel, feels so smooth. NS Pro is light years ahead of everyone else who makes steel shafts.

Welcome to the Board! Great first post!

Welcome to the Board! Great first post!

Thanks!

Just switched from KBS tour 125 S+. Played these for 5 years and really liked them. Went to Modus3 120X and am blown away with how good these are. Better more penetrating ball flight and tighter dispersion. The 120X feel better than any shaft that I have hit. I was nervous about going to a X from S+, but because of the weight, they are very smooth. I would say that I did not gain any distance, which I am happy about. I am waiting on the wedge shafts to show up to my door today!

The set of shafts I was looking at, oversold, so I'm stuck without shafts for my new heads I have incoming.

Where is the best(cheapest?) place to purchase shafts? I've checked the BST forums and eBay but there's nothing much out there for 125X's that are not absurd prices.

Titleist TSR3 8° Tensei Pro Orange 1K 60TX
Taylormade SIM Ti 5W 19° Tensei Pro White 70 TX
Taylormade SIM Tour Issue 19° 5W Diamana BF 80 TX
Mizuno JPX 921 Tours w/ Mitsubishi MMT TX125
Taylormade MG3 50.9/56.12 (TW)/60.11 (TW) w/ Mitsubishi MMT S125

Scotty Cameron Craftsman Squareback Proto 33.5"

The set of shafts I was looking at, oversold, so I'm stuck without shafts for my new heads I have incoming.

Where is the best(cheapest?) place to purchase shafts? I've checked the BST forums and eBay but there's nothing much out there for 125X's that are not absurd prices.

Should still be new sets of 125x from sticksnstones. I don't think they have sold through all of them.

Should still be new sets of 125x from sticksnstones. I don't think they have sold through all of them.

That's who I was going to initially get them from.

Titleist TSR3 8° Tensei Pro Orange 1K 60TX
Taylormade SIM Ti 5W 19° Tensei Pro White 70 TX
Taylormade SIM Tour Issue 19° 5W Diamana BF 80 TX
Mizuno JPX 921 Tours w/ Mitsubishi MMT TX125
Taylormade MG3 50.9/56.12 (TW)/60.11 (TW) w/ Mitsubishi MMT S125

Scotty Cameron Craftsman Squareback Proto 33.5"

i had a set of 105x that I was watching from sticksnstones but it was 4-PW and i needed 5-GW. ended up getting a great deal from putting out a WTB ad. have them sitting in my closet with the hopes of installing them this weekend. also have DG x100 8i shafts to put in my wedges rather than the Modus. can't wait.

Ping G430 MAX Rogue Silver 60S
915F Rogue Black 80S
915H Rogue Black 85S
ZX Utility 4i Recoil F4 110
Srixon ZX5/ZX7 Nippon Modus 120S
SM6 52.08F | 56.08M | 60.10S
Scotty Cameron Mil-Spec 33/350G
restoration on my Mil-Spec

Man. All this talk about the 130 has me second guessing gaming the X. I recently built a set of 130S and they're amazing. Insane smooth and the ball gets up and GOES forever! I've played x100, PX 6.5 and c taper S+ and wanted to give the 130X a shot to see how they fare but maybe I should just stick with the S?!

Man. All this talk about the 130 has me second guessing gaming the X. I recently built a set of 130S and they're amazing. Insane smooth and the ball gets up and GOES forever! I've played x100, PX 6.5 and c taper S+ and wanted to give the 130X a shot to see how they fare but maybe I should just stick with the S?!

One Concern i have about the 130s is in the longer irons - reputation for overly stiff and challenges in the 3,4,5 iron shafts.....false rumour?

thanks

One Concern i have about the 130s is in the longer irons - reputation for overly stiff and challenges in the 3,4,5 iron shafts.....false rumour?

thanks

Mark or Awtryau - can you opine on this view that the longer iron shafts are too stout? Seems harsh, but i keep hearing it. Appreciated

Stick with the "amazing, insanely smooth, and endless" ball flight in the 130s (your words).

"We’re ruined because we get these things and wish for what we had.”

@therealping

Getting my Srixon 945s with Modus 130S hopefully today. Really hoping it is a killer combo. If it all works out, then I may go 130S in the GW and take awtryau89's 8 iron shaft advise for the wedges (SW and LW).

Will chime back in this weekend after my first range session.

Titleist TSi2 10, Fujikura Ventus Blue Velocore 6X, 45"

Titleist TSi2 16.5, Fujikura Ventus Red Velocore 7X, 43"

TaylorMade GAPR Mid 4, KBS

Titleist T100S, KBS C-Taper S+ 5-PW

Titleist SM8, 50F, 54S, 60D, TT S400 Custom 

Scotty Cameron Phantom X12, 35", Stability Tour

[url="https://www.instagram.com/dnice262626/"]https://www.instagram.com/dnice262626/[/url]

Mark,

This may be a tough question to answer because it all may be feel based, but what would be the ideal like-for-like transition into the wedges from 120X, with respect to the Modus wedge 105/115/125? I love everything about my PW with 120X, but feel like my wedges (53 and 59) don't spin as much as I want with the 120X, though the ball flight and dispersion is awesome.

Unfortunately, I have nowhere to test out the wedge shafts in person. Thanks in advance.

Mark,

This may be a tough question to answer because it all may be feel based, but what would be the ideal like-for-like transition into the wedges from 120X, with respect to the Modus wedge 105/115/125? I love everything about my PW with 120X, but feel like my wedges (53 and 59) don't spin as much as I want with the 120X, though the ball flight and dispersion is awesome.

Unfortunately, I have nowhere to test out the wedge shafts in person. Thanks in advance.

You'd be okay with 115 wedge at standard length or over. If you play your wedges short of standard or prefer heavier feel, I'd go 125. 125 is very smooth, it would still feel lighter than a S400.

d0ca1fb2565da37e018b89532ffa63ad.jpg

9a01cc84762048ad9f0cad8215731e37.jpg

Yum!!!

[url="https://www.instagram.com/dnice262626/"]https://www.instagram.com/dnice262626/[/url]

Stick with the "amazing, insanely smooth, and endless" ball flight in the 130s (your words).

"We’re ruined because we get these things and wish for what we had.”

1000% makes all the sense in the world. I just picked up a set of 5-pw 130x pulls. I'm gonna throw them in a spare set of heads to see what happens. But it'll be pretty tough to beat the performance of the 130S. I'm honestly pumped on them!

I tried doing a search in this thread, didn't see anything of recent (lots around 2014), and idc what any of you say I'm not reading through 127 pages before asking this question haha -

Do we have an updated list of what tour players are gaming Nippon shafts and what their models are?

TaylorMade Stealth 7.25º | Fujikura Ventus Black 6X
TaylorMade SIM2 13.5º | Diamana Thump 75X
Cobra F6 Baffler 17.5º | Diamana Thump 85X
Titleist T100s | Dynamic Gold X7
TaylorMade MG3 50º, 55º, 60º Hi Toe  | Dynamic Gold X7
PXG One & Done | Armlock

To me...the Steelfiber 110 Stiff straight in feel more stout (boardy) than the 130s Stiff straight it.

I won't get another set with SteelFiber 110s...or Modus 120s.

I will likely get another set with 130s.

Finally tested the 105x vs the 130s - 105x felt super smooth (light and effortless almost) through the impact zone

The 130s was more work there, but had a great snap coming out of the zone

Slightly better ballspeed and height out of the 130s

These were 8 irons though....

Leaning toward the 105x right now - not settled

any view as to my concern that the 130s will feel more 'laborous' in the longer irons - 3,4,5?

thank you

To me...the Steelfiber 110 Stiff straight in feel more stout (boardy) than the 130s Stiff straight it.

I won't get another set with SteelFiber 110s...or Modus 120s.

I will likely get another set with 130s.

Finally tested the 105x vs the 130s - 105x felt super smooth (light and effortless almost) through the impact zone

The 130s was more work there, but had a great snap coming out of the zone

Slightly better ballspeed and height out of the 130s

These were 8 irons though....

Leaning toward the 105x right now - not settled

any view as to my concern that the 130s will feel more 'laborous' in the longer irons - 3,4,5?

thank you

a long time 130s user here. my game is down the toilet after second kid and I am actually testing 125s and 105x at the moment due to 'laborous' nature of 130 if you don't get to play every week... you should be ok with 5 iron but 3 and 4 does require little bit of work. 130s on 3 and 4 will definitely not work with you if your game is not sharp for the day. even though 105 is xstiff, it does balloon on some shots here and there. 130 was perfect for me because it wasn't too high and very very penetrating flights for me. If you like 130s, keep them in short irons and use 105x on long irons.

I just received my set of Srixon irons and Cleveland wedges. I went 105S in the 565 4-iron and 125S in the 5-P 765 with 125S Wedge shafts in the RTX3. Only range time, but very impressive thus far! I can't wait to get them to the course this weekend!

I'll check back after a round or two.

thats a great combo set im looking at the same thing. currently doing the demo of 105s vs 120x ss1x with 565 and 765 and they are just awesome. how did u decide to get the 765 starting with the 5 iron?

[size=4][font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][b]DRIVER[/b]- Callaway Rogue Oban Tour Limited 60s
[b]3 WOOD[/b]- GBB Epic Oban Kiyoshi Gold 75s
[b]HYBRID[/b]- Titleist 818 H1 19/23 Hybrid Atmos HB Tour Spec 85s
[b]IRONS[/b]- Srixon 765/565 Nippon Modus 105s
[b]GAP[/b]- Callaway MD4 Chrome 52 Modus 105
[b]SAND[/b]- Callaway MD4 Chrome 54 Modus 105
[b]LOB[/b]- Callaway MD3 Chrome 58 Modus 105
[b]PUTTER[/b]- Bettinardi Queen Bee #6
[b]BALL[/b]- Callaway Chrome Soft X[/font][/size]

My original intention before i tried the Nippon shafts was to keep my DG S300 shafts and do the X100 8i in my wedges. Now going with Modus3 105x in my irons, what am i using in my wedges?

Ping G430 MAX Rogue Silver 60S
915F Rogue Black 80S
915H Rogue Black 85S
ZX Utility 4i Recoil F4 110
Srixon ZX5/ZX7 Nippon Modus 120S
SM6 52.08F | 56.08M | 60.10S
Scotty Cameron Mil-Spec 33/350G
restoration on my Mil-Spec

eba1dbaf290beb9b3382003b838b2d5f.jpg

The smooth factor in this setup with the 130S is insane... #smoothcriminal