2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

J13's WITB: Update- FUJIKURA AXIOM

I'm simliar. I love to practice, always have. My problem is I practice the wrong things at times and or don't spend enough time in the right area's. Honestly after meeting Mr. Rotella that's all going to change. If fact it already has. I went out Friday to practice and only hit 20-25 balls on the range and that was it. The rest of the time was spent pitching and putting. It felt like I barely hit any balls but ya know I was puring them and felt confident so why just sit there and beat balls until that changes? Before I would have done that but now I hit 20-25 solid shots with a routine and ended on a high note leaving myself with a positive session seared in my brain. Those are the shots I want to think about on the golf course. Again that's a Rotella thing. Fill the memory bank up with successful shots. .

So for guys that are scratch to plus caps, your tee to green game has to be pretty darn good. You're all good ball strikers, so it makes sense the vast majority of your improvement would come from the short game. What about us 5-10 cappers? Short game can always help, short game can help literally everyone, but do you think those of us who aren't as strong as you (specifically off the tee, my irons are a better part of my game, driving is the achilles heel) should spend more time working on the issues we have with driving/irons versus short game?

I know you could only sum up so much of what you heard, I'm curious if through the hours you spent with him, you might have an idea on how he would answer such a question.

And for what it's worth, I LOVE the lit up putting green.

Good question and I think the advice would be the same for 5-10 cappers. If your a 5-10 capper that probably means you aren't hitting as many fairways and greens which means your ability to get up and down is even more important to shoot lower scores. Now if were talking a 20+ hcp then that's a different story. They need to build a more consistent swing plus get a better short game. Think about it, how many times have you gone to the range hitting the ball pretty well only for the swing to go south after continually hitting ball after ball. WHat was the point in you doing that? It surely wasn't to get better it was just you beating balls then mentally checking out and in comes the bad habits. Now if your working on a swing change then that's different but a normal practice session is just to stay loose and keep your swing finely tuned. In fact I was just talking to a mutual friend of ours who was "crushing" drives and loving life only to pound balls until he said the swing left him. So why pound balls until that happens? He left the session with his head down and defeated and completely forgot about how great he was driving the first 25 drives. Which thought do you think he will carry with him into the next round? The awesome first 25 balls or the bad 15?

Damn you and your logic.

Ping G400 Max UST Proforce V2
TM M5 15* UST Proforce V2
Callaway Apex UW 19* PX HZRDUS Smoke Black
Srixon ZX5 - 4&5 MMT 105

Srixon ZX7 - 6-PW MMT 105
Edel SMS 50V/54V/58T Nippon 125
Odyssey MXM #1W

I'm simliar. I love to practice, always have. My problem is I practice the wrong things at times and or don't spend enough time in the right area's. Honestly after meeting Mr. Rotella that's all going to change. If fact it already has. I went out Friday to practice and only hit 20-25 balls on the range and that was it. The rest of the time was spent pitching and putting. It felt like I barely hit any balls but ya know I was puring them and felt confident so why just sit there and beat balls until that changes? Before I would have done that but now I hit 20-25 solid shots with a routine and ended on a high note leaving myself with a positive session seared in my brain. Those are the shots I want to think about on the golf course. Again that's a Rotella thing. Fill the memory bank up with successful shots. .

So for guys that are scratch to plus caps, your tee to green game has to be pretty darn good. You're all good ball strikers, so it makes sense the vast majority of your improvement would come from the short game. What about us 5-10 cappers? Short game can always help, short game can help literally everyone, but do you think those of us who aren't as strong as you (specifically off the tee, my irons are a better part of my game, driving is the achilles heel) should spend more time working on the issues we have with driving/irons versus short game?

I know you could only sum up so much of what you heard, I'm curious if through the hours you spent with him, you might have an idea on how he would answer such a question.

And for what it's worth, I LOVE the lit up putting green.

Good question and I think the advice would be the same for 5-10 cappers. If your a 5-10 capper that probably means you aren't hitting as many fairways and greens which means your ability to get up and down is even more important to shoot lower scores. Now if were talking a 20+ hcp then that's a different story. They need to build a more consistent swing plus get a better short game. Think about it, how many times have you gone to the range hitting the ball pretty well only for the swing to go south after continually hitting ball after ball. WHat was the point in you doing that? It surely wasn't to get better it was just you beating balls then mentally checking out and in comes the bad habits. Now if your working on a swing change then that's different but a normal practice session is just to stay loose and keep your swing finely tuned. In fact I was just talking to a mutual friend of ours who was "crushing" drives and loving life only to pound balls until he said the swing left him. So why pound balls until that happens? He left the session with his head down and defeated and completely forgot about how great he was driving the first 25 drives. Which thought do you think he will carry with him into the next round? The awesome first 25 balls or the bad 15?

Damn you and your logic.

I seem to remember an interview that Padraig Harrington did just after he won the Open, where he said that if he played all the shots within 100 yards (pitching and putting) for a 28 handicapper, then they would be playing off 5! I've always remembered that and the illustration of how much a good short game can help anyone of any standard.

Taylormade M2 2017
Mizuno MX700 3W
Titleist 909h 19*
Srixon U65 23*
Srixon Z765 5-PW
Cleveland 588 RTXcb 50, 56, 60
Scotty Cameron Futura 5.5m

Thanks for sharing your meeting with the Doc J13. "Golf is not a Game of Perfect" changed my game AND my life, I would love to sit down and talk with him.

Of the things you shared, I basically incorporated all of those after reading his book (15+ times). Once I started to focus on short game and a sound routine my scores dropped. It's interesting, when my friend gave me that book I thought for sure it was gonna be all this technical stuff LOL. Turns out is very easy to understand, now the doing took some mental training LOL old habits have a tendency to die hard. I love pitching, I can do that all day, and out here where I live NO ONE practices the short game haha, winning situation for me! I have the place all to myself 98% of the time.

Now the one thing that I'm really trying to improve on is not spending time over the ball. I don't have that problem with the putter, but full swings I have a tendency to "freeze" over the ball. That's probably the hardest habit for me to break at this point. What's your routine like in that area?? Look at the target, look at the ball and go?

Thanks again for sharing!

Thanks for sharing your meeting with the Doc J13. "Golf is not a Game of Perfect" changed my game AND my life, I would love to sit down and talk with him.

Of the things you shared, I basically incorporated all of those after reading his book (15+ times). Once I started to focus on short game and a sound routine my scores dropped. It's interesting, when my friend gave me that book I thought for sure it was gonna be all this technical stuff LOL. Turns out is very easy to understand, now the doing took some mental training LOL old habits have a tendency to die hard. I love pitching, I can do that all day, and out here where I live NO ONE practices the short game haha, winning situation for me! I have the place all to myself 98% of the time.

Now the one thing that I'm really trying to improve on is not spending time over the ball. I don't have that problem with the putter, but full swings I have a tendency to "freeze" over the ball. That's probably the hardest habit for me to break at this point. What's your routine like in that area?? Look at the target, look at the ball and go?

Funny you mention how the books aren't too technical. The one thing that stood out to me was his ability to dumb down years of research on his part. That's the true sign of a good teacher/mentor. Now when he wanted to get technical he did and had pages of data which was great but he honestly didn't want us to focus on that instead just the message.

I'm still working on my routine but as of now it's a relaxed practice swing that's really like a 1/2 swing then I address the ball with 1 look then back to the ball and swing. Very little time over it maybe 1-2 seconds max. I've messed around with no practice swing but I think it works out better for me if I get the "feel" of what positions I want to be in then pull the trigger.

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

Love the focus j13!

I too was changed by book (not a game of perfect).

Read it over the course of a week, and shot career best 71.

Titleist Ts2 10.5* GD DI 6x
Titliest 915 5w 18* GD DI 7x
Callaway Apex 23*h Oban Devotion 
Callaway Apex 26*h GD DI 85x
Srixon 785 6-PW Nippon 105 Modus
Titleist SM7 50*, 54*, 58* Nippon 115 Modus 
Odyssey #7 Plumber Neck 
2018 Taylormade tp5

https://www.instagram.com/benzoducky/ 

Didn't you play C-Tapers? What ones and what did you think?

I did before I switched to the Modus 120''s about 2 years ago.. I liked the Ctapers until I got a real fitting and saw my dispersion patterns. I played the Ctaper Xflex straight in a set of Taylormade Tour Preferred irons. Again I liked them while I played them but after a fitting I realized 2 things. 1. They were too stiff and the S+ were a better fit. 2. Even in the S+ my dispersion wasn't great when compared to the Modus 120TX's. Distance wise the Ctapers were a little longer due to a higher launch and lower spin. But again dispersion and distance control wasn't close. Also confirmed all of this in my most recent fitting with Club Champion. Fitter said my current shafts were ideal but if I wanted to switch then the Ctapers were 2nd best. Also on a side note the Ctaper R Flex shafts make a great putter shaft ;)

Edel PROTO

Love the focus j13!

I too was changed by book (not a game of perfect).

Read it over the course of a week, and shot career best 71.

Just trying to get better because god knows beating ball after ball isn't helping. And nice work! Great playing!

Edel PROTO

I did before I switched to the Modus 120''s about 2 years ago.. I liked the Ctapers until I got a real fitting and saw my dispersion patterns. I played the Ctaper Xflex straight in a set of Taylormade Tour Preferred irons. Again I liked them while I played them but after a fitting I realized 2 things. 1. They were too stiff and the S+ were a better fit. 2. Even in the S+ my dispersion wasn't great when compared to the Modus 120TX's. Distance wise the Ctapers were a little longer due to a higher launch and lower spin. But again dispersion and distance control wasn't close. Also confirmed all of this in my most recent fitting with Club Champion. Fitter said my current shafts were ideal but if I wanted to switch then the Ctapers were 2nd best. Also on a side note the Ctaper R Flex shafts make a great putter shaft ;)

Interesting.... I was fit into 716 CBs with C-Taper X today and the thing that stuck out was the dispersion and how little bend the balls had. Bad swings that normally result in 15 yard hook with my current set only went 5 yards left. I hit five 4 irons in an 11 yard group which really impressed me. It was just one fitting and one day of hitting balls so the true results are yet to be seen. I did see enough to order the set though.

Interesting.... I was fit into 716 CBs with C-Taper X today and the thing that stuck out was the dispersion and how little bend the balls had. Bad swings that normally result in 15 yard hook with my current set only went 5 yards left. I hit five 4 irons in an 11 yard group which really impressed me. It was just one fitting and one day of hitting balls so the true results are yet to be seen. I did see enough to order the set though.

Ctapers are great shafts I just need more spin and slightly lower launch. I naturally hit the ball high with low spin so even the Modus 120TX's are on the higher trackman range for ideal launch and apex and in the lower range for ideal spin. After getting on a trackman I could see how I wasn't getting enough spin and distance control was a problem for me. Let me know how they work for ya on the course sounds like you found a winner

Edel PROTO

Funny you mention how the books aren't too technical. The one thing that stood out to me was his ability to dumb down years of research on his part. That's the true sign of a good teacher/mentor. Now when he wanted to get technical he did and had pages of data which was great but he honestly didn't want us to focus on that instead just the message.

I'm still working on my routine but as of now it's a relaxed practice swing that's really like a 1/2 swing then I address the ball with 1 look then back to the ball and swing. Very little time over it maybe 1-2 seconds max. I've messed around with no practice swing but I think it works out better for me if I get the "feel" of what positions I want to be in then pull the trigger.

That's exactly how I feel about his teaching method, I'm sure he has all the stats to back up everything he's saying but he just gives what you need to succeed. Great teacher indeed! I really need to get the rest of his books, and I still go back and read "Golf in Not a Game of Perfect" quite often. So much good stuff that it's easy to forget some it. I actually took a highlighter and decided I was gonna highlight the "gems" I quickly realized I would be putting marks on just about every page LOL.

I with you on your routine, sounds solid! I actually don't take a practice swing, I do swing the club with my bottom hand only while visualizing the shot to get a feel for the weight of the head. However, touch shots or anything with a wedge I take some swings to get dialed in. Putter no practice strokes, that came about pre-Doc. I realized on the practice green I had great speed and made a bunch of putts by just looking and reacting. Then I get out on the course and look at it from 28 angles, 4 practice strokes, then leave it short on the low side or something awful. I'll never go back to practice strokes with the putter!

Well, best of luck on your journey J13!

Ctapers are great shafts I just need more spin and slightly lower launch. I naturally hit the ball high with low spin so even the Modus 120TX's are on the higher trackman range for ideal launch and apex and in the lower range for ideal spin. After getting on a trackman I could see how I wasn't getting enough spin and distance control was a problem for me. Let me know how they work for ya on the course sounds like you found a winner

My concern was feel as I have heard horror stories.... But to me honest I really have a hard time "feeling" iron shafts, I can tell weight, lie, or length very easily but iron shafts basically all feel close to the same for me as long as the weight is close. I was 7200 spin 104 max height and 168 carry at sea level.

*Edit- that number was a 7 iron.

Holy s***, with the c-tapers?

I'd agree with this. That's a lot of spin for a 7 iron, especially with that shaft. I know most PGA Pros usually aim for 1,000rpm per iron (5000 with a 5 iron, 8000 with an 8 iron) but most of us aren't playing the greens they're playing either. I was fit at CC last year and had AP2s with C-Tapers and Modus3 120s as neck and neck for the shaft. I had been playing C-Tapers for ~3 years so I decided to go with something new. I was backing up 5 irons on the greens. And these were nice courses too, not some patchy muni down the block. The lion's share of courses I play have bent grass tees, fairways, and greens, so they're nicer courses. But, as we always talk about on the forums, numbers were numbers. They were "good" as far as everything we're lead to believe. I hit my irons better than I can remember over the past handful of years, but I still knew something was a little off.

I guess what I'm saying is those numbers are probably going to be too high (regarding spin) for the non-touring player. If you're hitting into a wind, you better know how to keep it LOW or the wind will gobble those up.

J, sorry to jack your thread here, but I thought my experience might be semi-relevant :/

Ping G400 Max UST Proforce V2
TM M5 15* UST Proforce V2
Callaway Apex UW 19* PX HZRDUS Smoke Black
Srixon ZX5 - 4&5 MMT 105

Srixon ZX7 - 6-PW MMT 105
Edel SMS 50V/54V/58T Nippon 125
Odyssey MXM #1W

Without getting too far off topic..... I will just say this - 7200 spin for a 7 iron is 100 RPM more than PGA tour Average. I don't agree with the idea that pros play higher spin irons to hold harder greens. That may be the case for some guys that hit the ball low or other isolated players. Most play a setup for exact distance control, ball flight, and numerous other things. Spin and optimal launch conditions just fall into place and get verified.

Holy s***, with the c-tapers?

I'd agree with this. That's a lot of spin for a 7 iron, especially with that shaft. I know most PGA Pros usually aim for 1,000rpm per iron (5000 with a 5 iron, 8000 with an 8 iron) but most of us aren't playing the greens they're playing either. I was fit at CC last year and had AP2s with C-Tapers and Modus3 120s as neck and neck for the shaft. I had been playing C-Tapers for ~3 years so I decided to go with something new. I was backing up 5 irons on the greens. And these were nice courses too, not some patchy muni down the block. The lion's share of courses I play have bent grass tees, fairways, and greens, so they're nicer courses. But, as we always talk about on the forums, numbers were numbers. They were "good" as far as everything we're lead to believe. I hit my irons better than I can remember over the past handful of years, but I still knew something was a little off.

I guess what I'm saying is those numbers are probably going to be too high (regarding spin) for the non-touring player. If you're hitting into a wind, you better know how to keep it LOW or the wind will gobble those up.

J, sorry to jack your thread here, but I thought my experience might be semi-relevant :/

Other than Chambers Bay and few other extremes, I think the firmness of of PGA Tour greens is exaggerated. As far as 7200 with a 7i, that doesn't seem like "a lot of spin for 7 iron" to me. I'd defer to TPI.

TI Taylormade SIM (9.0°) Tensei CK Pro Orange 70TX
TI Taylormade SIM Ti (15.4°) Tensei CK Pro Blue 80X
Callaway XR Pro (20°) Diamana White 90X
PING i210 (4i-UW) DG X100
Ping Glide 2.0 (54°) DG S400 TI
Artisan MT Grind (58°) DG S400
Taylormade Spider X Chalk SS

Taylormade TP5

Without getting too far off topic..... I will just say this - 7200 spin for a 7 iron is 100 RPM more than PGA tour Average. I don't agree with the idea that pros play higher spin irons to hold harder greens. That may be the case for some guys that hit the ball low or other isolated players. Most play a setup for exact distance control, ball flight, and numerous other things. Spin and optimal launch conditions just fall into place and get verified.

Overall pretty solid numbers for a 7 iron. You take shallow divots?

Hayzoos - yeah the old rule of thumb is 7000 rpm for a 7 iron ect... but it depends on launch and apex. And your right most players wouldn't need that high of spin with your average course conditions. Ball is also going to play a big factor as your average player isn't using a tour caliber ball.

Maybe someone with more knowledge then myself chime in about numbers

Edel PROTO

I think there has been more useful information in this thread the last two weeks vs the last few months on the site. Great info in here.

TM SiM 9* Kuro Kage XT 60 TX

TM SiM 15* Diamana D+ LTD 70 X

Titleist u500 2 Diamana Tensei Blue 90X, 4 DG TI S400

Titleist T100 5-6 DG TI S400

Titleist MB 7-PW DG TIS400
Artisan TW/TGR Blade 50*, Artisan 55R, 59TW S400
001 TW Proto

WITB http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1183320-cota0429-nike-oven-baked-witb-52215/

I think there has been more useful information in this thread the last two weeks vs the last few months on the site. Great info in here.

Glad to pay it forward and I'm learning myself. And as luck would have it I'm being buried alive in several feet of snow so I have all the time in the world to read some more Rotella and a new book I just got for Christmas "A good walk spoiled" by Feinstein.

Edel PROTO

Currently at the show and winding down as anyone who has been here can tell you it's a ton of walking and talking and will wear you down fast. The convention center is enormous. In any case I took some cool pics of anything I found interesting and will upload them over the next few days. So with that said I'm headed to bed lol. Check back soon

Edel PROTO

Currently at the show and winding down as anyone who has been here can tell you it's a ton of walking and talking and will wear you down fast. The convention center is enormous. In any case I took some cool pics of anything I found interesting and will upload them over the next few days. So with that said I'm headed to bed lol. Check back soon

Should've just hopped on my buddy's GolfBoard!

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1299464-bruinspatsirish-witb-march-2016-taylormade-adams-bettinardi-tee/page__p__13143444#entry13143444"]bruinsPATSirish WITB![/url]
Callaway EPIC 10.5* Tour Issue Speeder 757 X
Callaway EPIC 3 Wood Diamana Kail'i 80 X
Callaway EPIC 5 Wood Diamana Kail'i 80 X
TaylorMade RSi TP Irons w/ Project X 6.5
Callaway MackDaddy FORGED 52/56/60 DG TI S200
Bettinardi BB8 DASS TriSole

Should've just hopped on my buddy's GolfBoard!

Oh I road those at the show and they were a blast. Would love to have one

Edel PROTO

Anything wow you at the show?

001 TW Proto

WITB http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1183320-cota0429-nike-oven-baked-witb-52215/

Seriously? Nike divot tools? Ball markers? Cota needs the inside info, details man!!!! :tongue:

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 7.5 - PX Hulk 65g

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 13.5 - PX Hulk 85g
PXG Hybrid 19 - GD HYB 95

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Miura Tour 50, 54 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ

Scotty Cameron 009 - Circle W
IG: https://www.instagram.com/pure745

Seriously? Nike divot tools? Ball markers? Cota needs the inside info, details man!!!! :tongue:

Still waiting for that review on the Nike thread... People be slacking on the ball markers and divot tools these days lol ;)

001 TW Proto

You still playing the M1? Tested a bunch of drivers today on Trackman/Outdoors and the M1 460 8.5 was very impressive.... First time my D2 7.5* has been beat.... Ended up buying on the spot.

8.5 set at 7, right Scratch? :bb2:

OEM Certified Master Fitter

"Never forget that the luxury of being
wrong is not enough to make you right."
WITB Link

You still playing the M1? Tested a bunch of drivers today on Trackman/Outdoors and the M1 460 8.5 was very impressive.... First time my D2 7.5* has been beat.... Ended up buying on the spot.

M1 is a monster. Not surprised at all that it's better than his D2. C'mon.

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ

M1 is a monster. Not surprised at all that it's better than his D2. C'mon.

Doesn't surprise me either, have also heard of a few people bombing the M1. I've often joked with Scratch in the past about his penchant for using drivers with lofts more often seen amongst the freak shows that populate the LDA. I'm just jealous that I can't do that anymore. LOL

Anyway, sorry to highjack your thread, J. Looking forward to your PGA show pictures.

OEM Certified Master Fitter

"Never forget that the luxury of being
wrong is not enough to make you right."
WITB Link

Doesn't surprise me either, have also heard of a few people bombing the M1. I've often joked with Scratch in the past about his penchant for using drivers with lofts more often seen amongst the freak shows that populate the LDA. I'm just jealous that I can't do that anymore. LOL

Anyway, sorry to highjack your thread, J. Looking forward to your PGA show pictures.

Lol! True.. the "C'mon" was meant for him. I know J has been bombing the M1 too. I've played with Scratch many times, he actually does need a low lofted head, he hits the ball REALLY high.

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ

• J13 changed the title to J13's WITB: Update- FUJIKURA AXIOM