2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

J13's WITB: Update- FUJIKURA AXIOM

[quote name='TravisA' timestamp='1451744945' post='12791712']
Thank you for sharing, this is some great advice. I will probably come back to this page and read it many times more.

The Doc has a number of books out on the metal game. Any in particular that you think capture his message better than others?

Thanks again.
[/quote]

Golf is not a perfect game is one i like a lot. And i'm glad I got it on the board so I can reference it too lol.

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

2Hours can be a lot but keep in mind that advice was geared towards people who either play for a living or aspire to do so. Just use the same ratio's and apply it to whatever free time you have. One thing I've stopped doing is pounding ball after ball on the range. My ball striking doesn't seem to be effected and i'm hitting 30 balls instead of 80. I also go out on the course and play 9 holes by skipping the tee shot and go right to 100yds. Each hole I pick a different distance like 75yds, 85yds, 110yds ect.... So far so good.

Edel PROTO

[quote name='scratchswinger' timestamp='1451773858' post='12793284']
Two hours around the greens is a warmup.
[/quote]
If you aspire to play this game at anything like a high level, this is very true. Oh to be young and single again; would spend so much less time on the range and more time around and on the practice green. With age comes wisdom, but also come more time commitments and less time to practice.

OEM Certified Master Fitter

"Never forget that the luxury of being
wrong is not enough to make you right."
WITB Link

I read Golf is Not a Game of Perfect when I first picked up the game. I know it had quality information, but I don't remember much. With the winter in full-swing here now, I decided to order it and a few of Rotella's others.

TI Taylormade SIM (9.0°) Tensei CK Pro Orange 70TX
TI Taylormade SIM Ti (15.4°) Tensei CK Pro Blue 80X
Callaway XR Pro (20°) Diamana White 90X
PING i210 (4i-UW) DG X100
Ping Glide 2.0 (54°) DG S400 TI
Artisan MT Grind (58°) DG S400
Taylormade Spider X Chalk SS

Taylormade TP5

If you aspire to play this game at anything like a high level, this is very true. Oh to be young and single again; would spend so much less time on the range and more time around and on the practice green. With age comes wisdom, but also come more time commitments and less time to practice.

He said if you wanna play for a living and aren't putting in that kind of time your going to get lapped on the course. Don't even show up in fact lol. But as I've said most here are just trying to improve our hcp's so you work with the time you have between work, family, ect...

Edel PROTO

Oh how I wish I could have a full open schedule for golf. I would treat it like a 9-5, 6 days a week. Practice, eat lunch, play 18, practice and repeat!

TM SiM 9* Kuro Kage XT 60 TX

TM SiM 15* Diamana D+ LTD 70 X

Titleist u500 2 Diamana Tensei Blue 90X, 4 DG TI S400

Titleist T100 5-6 DG TI S400

Titleist MB 7-PW DG TIS400
Artisan TW/TGR Blade 50*, Artisan 55R, 59TW S400
001 TW Proto

WITB http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1183320-cota0429-nike-oven-baked-witb-52215/

Oh how I wish I could have a full open schedule for golf. I would treat it like a 9-5, 6 days a week. Practice, eat lunch, play 18, practice and repeat!

haha don't we all!!!

Quick update on my bag. The Odyssey 7 solidified it's spot in my bag over the Bettinardi. I think my speed is a little better with the Bettinardi but I really benefit from a more stable head. Anyway played a 9 hole money game yesterday which I thought was going to be a real $%%^ show as I haven't hit a ball in close to a month due to being sick. Anyway I won cash and finished with a 33 (-3). I had 4 birds and 1 bogey so all in all I was REALLY happy with how i played. I drove the ball like a complete donkey but my irons and wedges were on fire. I also putted well with the #7 so that was nice.

Also it was my first real round with some pressure to apply Mr. Rotella's teachings and I'd say it worked :) ON the 1st tee I literally said out loud "i'm going to give this course a smack down today" and kept that mentality the entire round EVERY shot. I focused especially on my process and not the outcome. Felt good but i know i have a long way to go as I was kind of exhausted after 9.

Edel PROTO

Someday I will take some time off and shoot -3 and walk away with some cash.

001 TW Proto

WITB http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1183320-cota0429-nike-oven-baked-witb-52215/

Someday I will take some time off and shoot -3 and walk away with some cash.

haha your a 1 hcp so i'm sure you've been there. I'm one of those people who tends to play better if I DON"T play all the time. I enjoy practicing but I can easily over do it and end up playing into bad habits. This is why I think Bob Rotella's advice of spending 80% of your time on putting and the short game will work for me. I've kind of always been that way especially in baseball which I played most of my life. If I hit balls once a week it's plenty for me. In this particular round I scored well because of my wedges and irons. I threw 5-6 approach shots inside 8ft which was surprising. I guess the srixon 745's and Cally MD3 wedges are that good haah :)

Honestly though I was playing my home track and it was soft so that helped me out. It just felt good to actually get out and play after a month of misery. I had the flu for 2 weeks then felt good for about 5 days then with my immune system still recovering got pneumonia that started out as a cold. It was AWFUL. I don't advise that for the golf game although it seemed to work out for me haha.

Edel PROTO

I started out -3 after 4 holes the other day, I actually felt bad for being so far up on my buddy, and lost my mental edge, he ended up winning....I need Rotella....!

PING G410 9 Flat(HZRDUS T1100 75g 6.5/Ventus Black 7x)
PING G410 14.5 (HZRDUS T1100 75g 6.5)
PING G425 LST 14.5 (Speeder Tour Spec 7.2x)

PING G410 17.5 (HZRDUS T1100 85g 6.5)

NIKE Vapor Fly 20* Iron (Modus105x HS)

PING i500 20* iron (DG105x100)

P7TW 3-PW (DGX7)

52 milled grind (DGX7)  / Vokey TVD K 58 (DGX7)
TM Spider Armlock/SIK Armlock

I started out -3 after 4 holes the other day, I actually felt bad for being so far up on my buddy, and lost my mental edge, he ended up winning....I need Rotella....!

There ya go. Keep the mental edge and stay aggressive. He spoke a lot about this and also being afraid to go low which I tend to do. I get a few under par and start to protect my score instead of keeping that edge and going lower. It takes time to change habits especially because you can only really work on them while your in that situation on the course. And since most guys are playing once a week or so it makes for a longer process then if you played for a living.

Edel PROTO

My buddy is the same way. He will take a month off, not by choice really but because of his schedule and go out and shoot under par. It's the opposite when he gets on a roll with too much practice lol

001 TW Proto

My buddy is the same way. He will take a month off, not by choice really but because of his schedule and go out and shoot under par. It's the opposite when he gets on a roll with too much practice lol

Sounds like me, and although it sounds nice it's not because I love to play and practice. It's a CURSE and highly unpredictable.

Edel PROTO

I bookmarked the info page and read it again before I played the last few times, thought my mindset was really good and I had more fun playing. Going to do the same in the spring when the season starts back up, thanks again for reporting back to us on that meeting!

Ping/Epon/Scratch/Bettinardi WITB Link

Haha Nice Q! I love Putting out of your mind, I have a signed copy of that which is pretty cool. Read up in the winter then destroy in the spring

Edel PROTO

I dove into Golf is Not a Game of Perfect last night and am halfway done. I read it probably 5 years ago, but it is a great refresher as I didn't remember much. Putting Out of Your Mind is next; I'm looking forward to it.

Taylormade TP5

I dove into Golf is Not a Game of Perfect last night and am halfway done. I read it probably 5 years ago, but it is a great refresher as I didn't remember much. Putting Out of Your Mind is next; I'm looking forward to it.

Yeah it really changes the way you approach a round. Great info trick is to keep it fresh.

Side note. Nothing like a steak dinner then a little night putting ;)

dbacd2be2c73dac1bbd4d8fe6f427270.jpg

Edel PROTO

I tried to play on Thursday without a swing thought for the first time. It wasn't pretty, so I will just blame it on the weather conditions hahah

Taylormade TP5

I tried to play on Thursday without a swing thought for the first time. It wasn't pretty, so I will just blame it on the weather conditions hahah

haha that's golf for ya. Focus on ur routine and forget about outcomes. In time it will get better.

Edel PROTO

Is that lit up at night? That pic looks like Las Colinas CC

001 TW Proto

He said if you wanna play for a living and aren't putting in that kind of time your going to get lapped on the course. Don't even show up in fact lol. But as I've said most here are just trying to improve our hcp's so you work with the time you have between work, family, ect...

I actually enjoy practicing more than playing at times. I use to practice till the hands were all tore up, but found that recovery time took longer than the benefit of getting some extra time on the range. I try and practice and play as efficiently as possible.

@therealping

Is that lit up at night? That pic looks like Las Colinas CC

Yes it's lit up. I got the board to approve it so now we have lights on the putting green that can be turned on and off with a timer. Great investment and in the summer time you have a lot of big talk in the bar end up being settled out there at night haha Nothing like a 12am 9 hole skins match on the putting green.

I actually enjoy practicing more than playing at times. I use to practice till the hands were all tore up, but found that recovery time took longer than the benefit of getting some extra time on the range. I try and practice and play as efficiently as possible.

I'm simliar. I love to practice, always have. My problem is I practice the wrong things at times and or don't spend enough time in the right area's. Honestly after meeting Mr. Rotella that's all going to change. If fact it already has. I went out Friday to practice and only hit 20-25 balls on the range and that was it. The rest of the time was spent pitching and putting. It felt like I barely hit any balls but ya know I was puring them and felt confident so why just sit there and beat balls until that changes? Before I would have done that but now I hit 20-25 solid shots with a routine and ended on a high note leaving myself with a positive session seared in my brain. Those are the shots I want to think about on the golf course. Again that's a Rotella thing. Fill the memory bank up with successful shots. .

Edel PROTO

I'm simliar. I love to practice, always have. My problem is I practice the wrong things at times and or don't spend enough time in the right area's. Honestly after meeting Mr. Rotella that's all going to change. If fact it already has. I went out Friday to practice and only hit 20-25 balls on the range and that was it. The rest of the time was spent pitching and putting. It felt like I barely hit any balls but ya know I was puring them and felt confident so why just sit there and beat balls until that changes? Before I would have done that but now I hit 20-25 solid shots with a routine and ended on a high note leaving myself with a positive session seared in my brain. Those are the shots I want to think about on the golf course. Again that's a Rotella thing. Fill the memory bank up with successful shots. .

So for guys that are scratch to plus caps, your tee to green game has to be pretty darn good. You're all good ball strikers, so it makes sense the vast majority of your improvement would come from the short game. What about us 5-10 cappers? Short game can always help, short game can help literally everyone, but do you think those of us who aren't as strong as you (specifically off the tee, my irons are a better part of my game, driving is the achilles heel) should spend more time working on the issues we have with driving/irons versus short game?

I know you could only sum up so much of what you heard, I'm curious if through the hours you spent with him, you might have an idea on how he would answer such a question.

And for what it's worth, I LOVE the lit up putting green.

Ping G400 Max UST Proforce V2
TM M5 15* UST Proforce V2
Callaway Apex UW 19* PX HZRDUS Smoke Black
Srixon ZX5 - 4&5 MMT 105

Srixon ZX7 - 6-PW MMT 105
Edel SMS 50V/54V/58T Nippon 125
Odyssey MXM #1W

So for guys that are scratch to plus caps, your tee to green game has to be pretty darn good. You're all good ball strikers, so it makes sense the vast majority of your improvement would come from the short game. What about us 5-10 cappers? Short game can always help, short game can help literally everyone, but do you think those of us who aren't as strong as you (specifically off the tee, my irons are a better part of my game, driving is the achilles heel) should spend more time working on the issues we have with driving/irons versus short game?

I know you could only sum up so much of what you heard, I'm curious if through the hours you spent with him, you might have an idea on how he would answer such a question.

And for what it's worth, I LOVE the lit up putting green.

Good question and I think the advice would be the same for 5-10 cappers. If your a 5-10 capper that probably means you aren't hitting as many fairways and greens which means your ability to get up and down is even more important to shoot lower scores. Now if were talking a 20+ hcp then that's a different story. They need to build a more consistent swing plus get a better short game. Think about it, how many times have you gone to the range hitting the ball pretty well only for the swing to go south after continually hitting ball after ball. WHat was the point in you doing that? It surely wasn't to get better it was just you beating balls then mentally checking out and in comes the bad habits. Now if your working on a swing change then that's different but a normal practice session is just to stay loose and keep your swing finely tuned. In fact I was just talking to a mutual friend of ours who was "crushing" drives and loving life only to pound balls until he said the swing left him. So why pound balls until that happens? He left the session with his head down and defeated and completely forgot about how great he was driving the first 25 drives. Which thought do you think he will carry with him into the next round? The awesome first 25 balls or the bad 15?

Edel PROTO

I like where your head's at J

last year I spent A LOT of time on the range hitting balls

so much that i developed some tendonitis in my elbow and had to cut the season a month short

I had a dose of the "hosels" (I can't even bring myself to say the word) a few years ago

once a year it shows up but ONLY on the range and then it messes up my head and I wont touch a club for a week

then I go get a quick lesson, fix it up and I'm good for the remainder of the year

this year I'm taking a completely different approach

short of a small warm up bucky before a round, the only time ill spend on the range hitting balls will be w a teaching pro

it only costs me $40 for 1/2 hour, its enough to sort out whats going on and I'm good for a bit

no sense in hitting countless balls not working or improving on anything

the rest of my practice time will be spent on the short grass and putting green

I've been trying to get to the elusive 0.0 for a couple years only coming up short every year to a personal best of 1.7, 2 years ago

aside from missing a few fwy's, no doubt I'm losing strokes not getting up and down enough and missed putts

PING G425 LST 9* | Kuro Kage TiNi DC 60 X
Taylormade M2 15* | RIP Beta 70 X

Callaway XHP 21* | RIP Alpha 90 X
*** Irons: OPEN *** 

Cleveland RTX 4 52/56* (mid) | DGS400
Titleist Vokey SM8 60*K | DGS400
Scotty Cameron Special Select FB 5.5 35"

Thank you for sharing, this is some great advice. I will probably come back to this page and read it many times more.

The Doc has a number of books out on the metal game. Any in particular that you think capture his message better than others?

Thanks again.

Golf is not a perfect game is one i like a lot. And i'm glad I got it on the board so I can reference it too lol.

I got the Doc's book yesterday and I'll probably have it read in the next couple of weeks. I'm really hoping to be in a better mental state on the course this year.

915 D3 8.5 Aldila Rogue 125 70x
915F 15 Fujikura Rombax P95x
913 Hd 18 Motore F3 95HB x
AP2 716 3-PW DG X100
Vokey SM5 52 & SM4 58
Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

Beastmode - i like that strategy. If you get better with your scoring clubs then your hcp has no choice but to go down.

Travis- enjoy they are great reads

Edel PROTO

• J13 changed the title to J13's WITB: Update- FUJIKURA AXIOM