2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Blade users thread (NO DEBATING CLUBHEADS! NO Buy Sell Trade!)

Bigmean

NRJ, just curious as to what you find different between DGs and Rifles. What don't you like about Rifles?

My Dad's mp32s have R200s and my 67s have 5.0s...I may have to do some anecdotal side by side testing later...

TEE CB2 13* 3w, 43.5", 57g Fujikura Motore F1 X-flex
TEE CB2 15* 3w, 43" 65g Fujikura Motore F1 S-flex
Miura Black Boron 1957 Small Blades 2i-PW, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
Miura Black Wedges 53* and 60*, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
GripMaster Club Maker's Stitchback Grips
34" Piretti Bosa, GripMaster Pistol Grip

Registered Bladeocrat
Outlaw Golf Association Member #7

NRJ, just curious as to what you find different between DGs and Rifles. What don't you like about Rifles?

My Dad's mp32s have R200s and my 67s have 5.0s...I may have to do some anecdotal side by side testing later...

Rifles are stiffer butt and softer tip, compared to Dynamic Gold. I sometimes feel that softer tip flexing in the swing, or think I feel it; no *real* way to know if it's real or confirmation bias, lol. Though it's something I don't notice with DG, even using DGS. Once had a set with DGS200, didn't even notice it then. The shaft was too soft for me at the time, but I couldn't feel that "tip flex" I notice with Rifle or Precision stepped shafts.

I've also noticed it's easier for me to hook the softer tipped shafts. When I took the 6.5 Rifle set out for a couple rounds last year, I noticed the ball would turn over more easily. This was something I noticed when I was playing them in my "OMG where has this extra distance come from" phase, back in 2008 and 2009. Fought the hooks something horrible, but I could hit them for cartoonish distances so silly I don't even want to mention them here.

Boiling it all down, I don't think they work for my swing particularly well.

edited to add: on occasion, when I think of how far I was hitting the ball as a 44-45 year old, I find myself wondering what might have been, had I started playing golf earlier in my life. How far would I have hit it in my prime years?

Oh well LOL

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

Been revisiting the new blades thought now that payday is approaching, and have been thinking - my current Nikes are staying in the main bag, and with weddings approaching I can't really be buying full sets to toy around with, so am thinking about getting an individual iron or two for the practice bag to save killing mine at the range.

Thought I'd start with a 6 iron as that is the main club I use there, and on the bay of fleas I have found:

Same as I have now - shaft unknown

Nike VR Pro with S300

Titleist 710MB with KBS Tour Stiff

Also a few Wilson Staffs but as it's for practice I'd probably rather stay modern, then try to find a TP 9 at a later date :)

Which out the 3 do we reckon? I'm leaning towards the VR Pro if I'm honest, not sure ofthe difference between the S300 fitted and my usual S400s though?

The Dee Three - Titleist TS4 9.5 deg, EvenFlow White 6.5 65g, A1 Setting

Henrik - Titleist 917 F3 15 deg, Rogue Max 75x, B2 Setting

The Walking Stick - Titleist 818 H2 19 deg, Rogue Max 85x, B2 Setting

The Interloper - TaylorMade P770 3 iron, S400 Tour Issue, +0.5inch +1 deg loft

The Blades - Nike VR Pro 4 - AW, S400 Tour Issue, +0.5 inch

The Sand Iron - TaylorMade MG2 TW-12 Grind, 56 degree, S400 Tour Issue

The Flopper - TaylorMade MG2 TW-11 Grind, 60 Degree, S400 Tour Issue

The Putter - Nike Method 003 from The Oven

"Golf is only called golf as all the other four letter words have been taken"     - Leslie Nielsen

Sad day at the Pixl house, selling the T-MB 4 iron..... LOVE the 5i I have but I am just not consistent with the 4i like I am with my MP

Interesting. I thought the TMBs were really easy to hit, though the 2i I bought at great expense didn't last, mainly because I should have bought the 3i instead.

However, the best on-course results I have ever had with a 4i came with the MP-H4. Probably shouldn't have sold it, but I just can't suppress the urge to tinker :pimp:

The fun part will be pulling the shafts from the 10 clubs. OK, not so fun. LOL

I just finished pulling the shafts from my Ram Camber Soles last night. All was going well, I was able to salvage the ferrules (got serial numbers on them), until I came to the 8i. That was a real sod. Pretty much had to melt the head to get it off! I'm not sure why it was so hard; there was clearly a lot of epoxy on it, but I think the hosel bore itself is narrower than the other heads in the set.

I think for your mix shaft soft-stepping/hard-stepping experiment, you should build yourself a special laboratory deep in the heart of a remote mountain castle. The work should only be done on a dark and stormy night, and you should cackle manically to yourself as you slip each shaft in and say "Soon the world will be mine!"

Ok, I'm not sure where I pulled that from, but I think it's a base of old B&W Hammer Horror films with a bit of James Bond and 1980s cartoons thrown into the mix.

Speaking of Hammer films...

On our DVR, we have one of the Dracula films from them, with the mighty Christopher Lee. It's been there since last October. Should get around to watching it one of these days.

Used to love watching the Hammer films in my younger days, when I could find them on TV.

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

Sad day at the Pixl house, selling the T-MB 4 iron..... LOVE the 5i I have but I am just not consistent with the 4i like I am with my MP

Interesting. I thought the TMBs were really easy to hit, though the 2i I bought at great expense didn't last, mainly because I should have bought the 3i instead.

However, the best on-course results I have ever had with a 4i came with the MP-H4. Probably shouldn't have sold it, but I just can't suppress the urge to tinker :pimp:

interesting indeed, I hit the 5 iron fantastic, for some reason I just wasn't consistent with the turf on the 4. Thin then fat. I would have worked on it more if I wasn't hitting darts with my MP Fli Hi 4 iron.... And I got a good offer to sell the TMB

Taylormade Sim 9° (set to 7°) - Fuji 53k X 

Cobra Rad Speed Tour 5 Wood 16° - Attas-T2 9x

Mizuno MP Fli Hi 18° - C Taper 125 S+
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 23° - C Taper 120 S
Srixon z785 5-PW - KBS TourV X

Cleveland ZipCore 50° - Tour S400
Ping Glide Pro Forged 54°/ Eye Toe 59°  - Tour S400
Seemore mFGP2 
Podcast - "Rough Fairways - A Journey to the PGA Tour" available on Spotify - Pandora - Apple

Pixi,

My only experience of the T-MB other than the 2i was in a net, where I thought they were great, but I have never hit them off the turf, so my experience is limited. On the other hand, the MP-H4 flat out performed where it mattered, and it blended in pretty well with my MP-4s. Which version of the Fli-Hi do you have? I think there is a JDM version available now that correlates to the MP-H5 2i and 3i, which aren't on sale in Japan.

OG Cut muscle MP Fli Hi

I've had it for like 10 something years

Seemore mFGP2 
Podcast - "Rough Fairways - A Journey to the PGA Tour" available on Spotify - Pandora - Apple

this thread has been pretty quiet recently and no one seems to be in it. We need more golf stories!!

Don't worry I get off the ship in 7 days and will do my best to populate the thread with Tales of the Novice Golfer: 50 First Swings.

"50 Shades of Fade" by Sir Slicealot

So my sister has my old Hogan Vector Lites that I grew up with and played when I was around 14 before I quit golf for 20 years. Here they are and also as compared to my mp67s and my Dad's mp32s:

LOL like a horrible husband I told my wife she should play them today at Lomas Santa Fe CC. And LOL she LOVED them!!! She plays Cobra Amps and found that the Hogans were easier to hit! And this includes 4i and 3i. LOL once again, "forgiving technology" proven to be the opposite of "forgiving". They are actually perfect for her - cut 1" shorter and swingweight around C8. When I get home I am going to have new grips put on them for her. The design is interesting. The muscle is short and more like a wedge's across all the irons.

Shot 39-43 at Lomas today with the 67s. Had three birdies which is good for me. Apparently I recovered my game after the debacle at Mt. Woodson's back nine. I really liked the course - undulating and multi-tiered greens that rolled fast and true and a layout that was challenging but not at all unfair.

Registered Bladeocrat

Been off here for a few weeks working and on vacation in Cabo. Played the Puerto San cabos resort course at Secrets adults only resort. Such a scenic course along side the Pacific. Will post some pics as it was amazing. No blades as I rented a set of Call away apex pro irons and woods. Going to catch up on the thread. Missing the 82* days. Played with some nice Canadians

bodhi555

Yeah, I'd probably go with the Nike VR Pro, too, if only for the comparison with your regular set of Nikes. From what I've hit of them, I think they's both good irons, though I liked the OG blades more.

VR Pro 6 iron is in its way - brand new, still in the wrapper and a grand total of £21 :)

I suspect it will be cheap until I decide to order the rest of the set - I've already spotted the 2 iron, but that's £74....

"Golf is only called golf as all the other four letter words have been taken"     - Leslie Nielsen

this thread has been pretty quiet recently and no one seems to be in it. We need more golf stories!!

Don't worry I get off the ship in 7 days and will do my best to populate the thread with Tales of the Novice Golfer: 50 First Swings.

"50 Shades of Fade" by Sir Slicealot

Haha... Excellent! I went more with Fifty First Dates(Swings) because my job takes me away from my clubs at times.

Good pick up, bodhi, but building a set club by club could end up being very expensive.

Totally agree, will more than likely try to find a set of VR Pro heads and get a local clubmaker to out S400s in them, and keep the 6 iron in the practice bag. That will be after the wedding though :)

OG Cut muscle MP Fli Hi

I've had it for like 10 something years

That's a bit of a classic. Incidentally, I noticed Davis Love III still has his 2010 Fli-Hi 2i, or he did last year.

It's just too easy to hit

Seemore mFGP2 

My OG MP-FliHis (3i and 4i) were absolutely the worst clubs that I ever tried to play. I spec'ed and shafted them the exact same as both my mp60s and mp67s 3is and 4is) and tried them for a full year in my quest for "forgiveness". What a huge mistake. In my experience they were horrible clubs. I could not work them much, hit more fat shots than ever, and their accuracy was not good too. Plus all shots felt numb regardless of their quality. They are glorified forged steel paperweights as far as I'm concerned.

Registered Bladeocrat

Crazy how people can have such opposite experiences, I assume we are talking about the same FliHi model

Seemore mFGP2 

Crazy how people can have such opposite experiences, I assume we are talking about the same FliHi model

On the left is my 3i FliHi. Then mp60, mp67, and baby blade from left to right. That ginormous sole is one of my biggest issues with it (and any CB/perimeter weighted club for that matter). And I tried to like the club. Heck, I bought two! But after hundreds of rounds and side by side range tests comparing it to the same mp60 and mp67 hitting every type of shot imaginable, my aforementioned conclusions are the same.

And LOL to your point I think if you ask bobbyclampett what his experience with them was like, he'll have another experience different from the both of ours!

Registered Bladeocrat

bodhi555

Yeah, I'd probably go with the Nike VR Pro, too, if only for the comparison with your regular set of Nikes. From what I've hit of them, I think they's both good irons, though I liked the OG blades more.

VR Pro 6 iron is in its way - brand new, still in the wrapper and a grand total of £21 :)

I suspect it will be cheap until I decide to order the rest of the set - I've already spotted the 2 iron, but that's £74....

I just treated myself to a set of Nike original blades brand new still in the wrapper... Got them for a steal the other day. 83ac06c358bb10df5d651c312835dc26.jpg

bodhi555

I just treated myself to a set of Nike original blades brand new still in the wrapper... Got them for a steal the other day. 83ac06c358bb10df5d651c312835dc26.jpg

I am jealous. You don't fancy swapping for a set that's been un use for 12 years do you? :) Just been regripped!

bodhi555

I am jealous. You don't fancy swapping for a set that's been un use for 12 years do you? :) Just been regripped!

Depends what the grips are... if they're like the ones Deninny has just put on his black Miuras then I could be pursuaded ;-)

bobbydazzle FWIW I don't want to play rubber or silastomer grips anymore after hitting my BBs with the GripMaster Club Makers Stitchbacks. Leather really helps to damp the sting of a blade mishit. The feedback is still there, just a significantly lower pain level. I noticed the same thing with my mp67s when I put Classic Wrap GripMasters on them, coming from Golf Pride Duo Durometers.

...Speaking of grips...has anybody played the Best Grips LTD Gridirons? (https://bestgrips.com/product/ltd-gridiron-club-grip/) I like the blue ones for my Retro TB set that currently has blue Iomic Stickies. I've held and hit clubs with the black Microperfs and am curious how the Gridirons compare.

Registered Bladeocrat

bodhi555

Those are sweet!!