Blade users thread (NO DEBATING CLUBHEADS! NO Buy Sell Trade!)

Bigmean

Those Nike blades are nice looking. I am one of those that just can't Nike. Shoes - okay. But, not clubs. There are enough other options.

I had another great range session the other day. Really liking the consistency of the Modus 120. I am striking it really well with the irons, the hybrid is working too and the 5-wood is flying into the net (at 220) consistently. Thinking it's carrying 235-240, which ought to serve me well the next few weeks as it looks like I'll actually get out to play. It's been for-FXXXXing-ever.

The biggest problem with not playing much is I get suckered into making bad decisions, trying to be a hero. Usually, If I don't start well, the chances of major train wrecks abound. Nearing the age of 40, I still haven't gotten my ego under control. We'll see if I can slay it this time. I feel like i'm due for a round in the 70s, even though I haven't play since June. One thing I know for sure is, I've got my body (and my back in particular) to where I don't worry about soreness after a game, for the first time in years. And, I am seeing really decent distance, without much effort. That has me pumped.

Major box on those MS-1's, wow, old school cool. You did real well on the Nike's, they look new. I also had a bias of avoiding Nike gear. Then Tiger had TM re-stamp VR Pro's and I'm like well, 'maybe they ain't so bad'. I plead guilty of fanboy bias, Price & Watson got me to Rams, Norman to Mac-Cobra's, Tiger to 681's and perhaps now to the VR's. All share an uptempo, vertical, hitter style (Watson being the most rhythmic) and that's more me than not (in my much flawed way), so it's all good. If I could swing like Stenson, I would probably chasing down Legacy Black's, lol. Love his swing, the simplicity & power of it. Loved Woosie's simplicity too and there I go, owning Maruman's. :)

Major box on those MS-1's, wow, old school cool. You did real well on the Nike's, they look new. I also had a bias of avoiding Nike gear. Then Tiger had TM re-stamp VR Pro's and I'm like well, 'maybe they ain't so bad'. I plead guilty of fanboy bias, Price & Watson got me to Rams, Norman to Mac-Cobra's, Tiger to 681's and perhaps now to the VR's. All share an uptempo, vertical, hitter style (Watson being the most rhythmic) and that's more me than not (in my much flawed way), so it's all good. If I could swing like Stenson, I would probably chasing down Legacy Black's, lol. Love his swing, the simplicity & power of it. Loved Woosie's simplicity too and there I go, owning Maruman's. :)

I loved Woosnam's swing, while admiring Faldo's technical approach. Back then, I was more into the technical side of the swing. Now, I just want to keep it simple.

I still can't stop tinkering, though...

Totally guilty of having equipment that was used by big names. I've got the TM x300 fci, Els used to win at Muirfield. TN87 Faldo used to play, Marumans, Hal Sutton Yamahas etc. I've found that the slightly greater, progressive style offset in the TN87 really matches my game well, as I grew up with Ping Eye2 before moving the Ping ISI. And, I love the history of knowing exactly what people played to win big tournaments. There are few sets I'd really love to get my hands on, but I'm going to concentrate on playing with the set up I have now for a little while.

Just wanted to mention a few things I've been working on - one piece takeaway lead by shoulders. A full wrist c0ck early in the backswing while maintaining as much width as possible. At the top I can be a little loose - so I'm trying to feel as if the club is under control until the top. And, after as full of a shoulder turn as I can manage, I am trying to lead everything with my lower body (uncoiling hips slightly) the club drops effortlessly into the slot while my body continues turning to the finish. I've been working on hitting a lot of 50-70% full swings trying to maintain the aforementioned sequence. I've weakened both hands too, as I want to feel as if it's my body squaring the club face and not my arms or hands. I find I am able to control the club face really well and I can hit baby draws consistently. I have reduced the number of shots that start left of the target considerably. It's the most I've thought about the technical aspect of swinging the club since I first started when I was 14 or 15 and read every Golf Digest or Golf Magazine I could get my hands on.

This time it was from seeing something in Rory McIlroy's swing that made me realize that I didn't have a consistent sequence and probably hadn't forever. Even when I was playing on my college team I would shoot mid to low 70s despite major swing flaws. I could slap it around (with a flat, yet steep swing built to accommodate an over the top move and playing soaking wet West Coast courses) avoiding trouble and save myself time and again with short game and putting. It was all about timing. I told myself I was a feel player, but the truth is I was clueless and lost relying totally on ability to get it up and down. Now that that ability has degraded, ever so slightly - I'm forced to address the swing and it hasn't taken all that much work to get right.

I am really excited about getting out and getting comfortable on the course with some sort of direction for my swing - a swing that is better suited for firm fairways and juicy Korai (zoysia) grass.

I loved Woosnam's swing, while admiring Faldo's technical approach. Back then, I was more into the technical side of the swing. Now, I just want to keep it simple.

Yeah, I think highly of Faldo's approach, but it's always been beyond me, so well controlled, what's deceptive about him was he was really fit and he cloaked it in a way Norman never did.I tinker now more than ever and am the happier for it, but the real goal is to simplify and automate the good stuff and rid myself of the crappy instincts. I can dream. Came into the game, watching Jack and the classic model of swing (totally learned the wrong things,lol), find myself admiring aspects of modern pivot based stuff and trying to incorporate that a lot more. Snead had the most beautiful of swings but you need the legs of Jean Kelly to execute it. So guys like Stenson, Fleetwood or Koepka and even Rose catch my attention. I think latest Tiger in some ways is his the best ever, even though Harmon era was off the charts great.

Totally guilty of having equipment that was used by big names. I've got the TM x300 fci, Els used to win at Muirfield. TN87 Faldo used to play, Marumans, Hal Sutton Yamahas etc. I've found that the slightly greater, progressive style offset in the TN87 really matches my game well, as I grew up with Ping Eye2 before moving the Ping ISI. And, I love the history of knowing exactly what people played to win big tournaments. There are few sets I'd really love to get my hands on, but I'm going to concentrate on playing with the set up I have now for a little while.

Just wanted to mention a few things I've been working on - one piece takeaway lead by shoulders. A full wrist c0ck early in the backswing while maintaining as much width as possible. At the top I can be a little loose - so I'm trying to feel as if the club is under control until the top. And, after as full of a shoulder turn as I can manage, I am trying to lead everything with my lower body (uncoiling hips slightly) the club drops effortlessly into the slot while my body continues turning to the finish. I've been working on hitting a lot of 50-70% full swings trying to maintain the aforementioned sequence. I've weakened both hands too, as I want to feel as if it's my body squaring the club face and not my arms or hands. I find I am able to control the club face really well and I can hit baby draws consistently. I have reduced the number of shots that start left of the target considerably. It's the most I've thought about the technical aspect of swinging the club since I first started when I was 14 or 15 and read every Golf Digest or Golf Magazine I could get my hands on.

This time it was from seeing something in Rory McIlroy's swing that made me realize that I didn't have a consistent sequence and probably hadn't forever. Even when I was playing on my college team I would shoot mid to low 70s despite major swing flaws. I could slap it around (with a flat, yet steep swing built to accommodate an over the top move and playing soaking wet West Coast courses) avoiding trouble and save myself time and again with short game and putting. It was all about timing. I told myself I was a feel player, but the truth is I was clueless and lost relying totally on ability to get it up and down. Now that that ability has degraded, ever so slightly - I'm forced to address the swing and it hasn't taken all that much work to get right.

I am really excited about getting out and getting comfortable on the course with some sort of direction for my swing - a swing that is better suited for firm fairways and juicy Korai (zoysia) grass.

How you describe the one piece takeaway and keeping width in the backswing reminded me immediately of Nick Faldo’s book ‘A Swing For Life.’ I return to it every few months just to reinforce those two things as the drills he he shows are spot on.

Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Fubuki ZT Stiff
Callaway XR Speed 3W Project X HZRDUS T800 65 Stiff
Wilson Staff FG Tour M3 21* Hybrid Aldila RIP Stiff
Cobra King CB/MB Flow 4-6, 7-PW C-Taper Stiff or Mizuno MP4 4-PW
Vokey SM8 52/58; MD Golf 56
Radius Classic 8

Yeah, I think highly of Faldo's approach, but it's always been beyond me, so well controlled, what's deceptive about him was he was really fit and he cloaked it in a way Norman never did.I tinker now more than ever and am the happier for it, but the real goal is to simplify and automate the good stuff and rid myself of the crappy instincts. I can dream. Came into the game, watching Jack and the classic model of swing (totally learned the wrong things,lol), find myself admiring aspects of modern pivot based stuff and trying to incorporate that a lot more. Snead had the most beautiful of swings but you need the legs of Jean Kelly to execute it. So guys like Stenson, Fleetwood or Koepka and even Rose catch my attention. I think latest Tiger in some ways is his the best ever, even though Harmon era was off the charts great.

Rose is really swinging the club nicely. Swing looks so controlled. And watching the final group last week with Finau and Shauffele - yeah. Those two swings are as different as can be, but both are just tremendous. Just gotta find out your own way.

My favourite from that era was always "Oor" Sandy, such a natural effortless swinger of the golf club, he had this uncanny ability to smash a 1 iron further than most other pros were hitting a driver. He was pretty handy out of a fairway bunker too :) It was a shame he started overthinking it and lost form so spectacularly - Seve once commented, that if all the players on Tour played to their absolute best, it would be Sandy first, then Seve. I credit spending my younger years watching him with a 1 iron for my eternal obsession with carrying some sort of Driving Iron, even if the numbers have now changed on the bottom.

It was the same with Nike as well - taking away the Tiger factor, the rest of their staff players seemed to me to be fantastic ballstrikers as Sandy used to be. Other than the Big Cat, they had Duval, Casey, Koepka, Fleetwood, Rory, Finau etc, and I always figured that if they can make the stuff perform like they do, it can't be all bad.

The Dee Three - Titleist TS4 9.5 deg, EvenFlow White 6.5 65g, A1 Setting

Henrik - Titleist 917 F3 15 deg, Rogue Max 75x, B2 Setting

The Walking Stick - Titleist 818 H2 19 deg, Rogue Max 85x, B2 Setting

The Interloper - TaylorMade P770 3 iron, S400 Tour Issue, +0.5inch +1 deg loft

The Blades - Nike VR Pro 4 - AW, S400 Tour Issue, +0.5 inch

The Sand Iron - TaylorMade MG2 TW-12 Grind, 56 degree, S400 Tour Issue

The Flopper - TaylorMade MG2 TW-11 Grind, 60 Degree, S400 Tour Issue

The Putter - Nike Method 003 from The Oven

"Golf is only called golf as all the other four letter words have been taken"     - Leslie Nielsen

A lot of this resonates with me. I've been working on an earlier wrist c0ck for the last three years or so. I can see the benefits of it, but the wrist c0ck was never something I thought about before. When my swing is in sync, it's still not something I need to think about. I'm still not sure whether I should be changing the habit of a lifetime, but I have had good results with the early wrist set...sometimes. I think when I was a lot younger, and more flexible, I could get to near the top then set my wrists.

As for the takeaway, I tend to switch between starting with the club head or the shoulder. When the rest of my setup and swing is good, I am better with focussing on the club head, but when things go pear-shaped, as they have the last few months, then using the bigger upper body muscles helps.

Anyway, have fun on the Korai greens. There aren't many places left with those, though next year's Japan Open venue still has them. It's pretty near me, and I look forward to going.

I don't think I have putted on a Korai green this year.

My takeaway on my takeaway:

Moving to a more shoulder based , get my right back to target, get my tailbone there too model. Been doing a false sway of a rotation that was too much hand and arm "kill it" mentality. A false, get weight to right side, then sway it over to left for the lower body. Ideal is to tighten up those then "kill it". lol.

Anyway, have fun on the Korai greens. There aren't many places left with those, though next year's Japan Open venue still has them. It's pretty near me, and I look forward to going.

I don't know what Korai greens are, but anytime I read a post from you about anything Japanese, I assume it occurs before going for karaoke, in your delimited drift-machine, all the while avoiding the yakuza... my pop-culture 'knowledge' of Japan may be limited to three films and colour it slightly ;)

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

Yup. Same here duff. I just imagine a 4 turbo hatchback drifting sideways into the parking lot of a golf course and the guy break dances through the front door with a 5 star Honma bag from putter to driver.

I have never left America. Obviously. Once stood at the border in Montana and rolled a boulder into Canada.

[b][color=#8b4513]Wyoming[/color] [color=#ffd700]Cowboys[/color][/b]

Yup. Same here duff. I just imagine a 4 turbo hatchback drifting sideways into the parking lot of a golf course and the guy break dances through the front door with a 5 star Honma bag from putter to driver.

I have never left America. Obviously. Once stood at the border in Montana and rolled a boulder into Canada.

Golf courses here can be described largely in one word: staid. The only thing colorful is the apparel.

I don't know what Korai greens are, but anytime I read a post from you about anything Japanese, I assume it occurs before going for karaoke, in your delimited drift-machine, all the while avoiding the yakuza... my pop-culture 'knowledge' of Japan may be limited to three films and colour it slightly ;)

Both these images are 100% accurate, and don't let anything C_T_S says make you think otherwise :taunt:

A lot of this resonates with me. I've been working on an earlier wrist c0ck for the last three years or so. I can see the benefits of it, but the wrist c0ck was never something I thought about before. When my swing is in sync, it's still not something I need to think about. I'm still not sure whether I should be changing the habit of a lifetime, but I have had good results with the early wrist set...sometimes. I think when I was a lot younger, and more flexible, I could get to near the top then set my wrists.

As for the takeaway, I tend to switch between starting with the club head or the shoulder. When the rest of my setup and swing is good, I am better with focussing on the club head, but when things go pear-shaped, as they have the last few months, then using the bigger upper body muscles helps.

Funny how we all have different approaches to "what works". I'm using the Couple's takeaway....basically just lift the club to the top and avoid all the thoughts of "this and that" on the back swing....just get set at the top. This works for me.

Funny how we all have different approaches to "what works". I'm using the Couple's takeaway....basically just lift the club to the top and avoid all the thoughts of "this and that" on the back swing....just get set at the top. This works for me.

That's one I liked too for its simplicity, but I have found that when I think I am picking the club up, I am actually swinging it flat around my body, so the Fred Couples approach didn't work for me. Pretty much what I think I am doing, my body is doing the opposite :(

Hit about 80 balls last night....I dunno, after 50 I start to feel it but nothing alarming, just normal.

I am hitting it pretty well. My head is sorta cocked at address, I don't feel comfortable otherwise. In efforts to really play with my swing to find something my back likes, I tried keeping it perpendicular to the ground toward the end, and really focusing on not getting lateral. Not sure if it was that thing that works that day or if it is something build with, but other than address looking funny and me being uncomfortable the swings were finding paydirt like 8/10. I will hit again this weekend and give that a serious try for the whole session.

Also, and this is another stupid notation and probably because my swing sucks, but was also experimenting with shorter backswings, and I swear, stopping my arms parallel with ground going back and a 90* or so shaft angle to them is about what my "backswing" was, and I was hitting 95% of normal distances. I mean I would guess that the iron shaft would be like 15-20* past perpendicular to ground, arms basically paralleled and visually look like a full cocked half backswing maybe, like not distance loss to speak of. Other than easy to get a tad quick, the clubhead speed can easily be found in the swing below the waist, and what was actually more rough on my back was that I was coming through it quick enough (Like 173 7 irons) that I had to have a more or less complete follow through. I mean the follow through sorta just happens for a stock shot.

Anyway, looking to make lemonade here and still haven't had a session with physical trainer, but maybe I can make the swing smaller and more simple and poke my way around and score better. Who am I kidding, I am just happy the simulator criagslist considering what was going on a month ago.

That's one I liked too for its simplicity, but I have found that when I think I am picking the club up, I am actually swinging it flat around my body, so the Fred Couples approach didn't work for me. Pretty much what I think I am doing, my body is doing the opposite :(

The way it works for me is to keep the right elbow in front of me on the initial takeaway which sends the clubhead outside the line vs. flat. Prior to that my swing was always too flat I also focus on the right hand at the top being in a position that if i removed from the club, my palm would face the guy hitting next to me on the range.

Ugh ya, so I went ahead and bought a set of Stensons... cause of my Protos... ya shut up, it makes sense in my head... if I try really hard and just confuse myself :)

They may be a super good deal - pics weren't great - and since it's from Japan it must have put people off, but here's hoping they arrive pre Thanksgiving.

May try and dropping the 5i in with the Protos!

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

The way it works for me is to keep the right elbow in front of me on the initial takeaway which sends the clubhead outside the line vs. flat. Prior to that my swing was always too flat I also focus on the right hand at the top being in a position that if i removed from the club, my palm would face the guy hitting next to me on the range.

That's something I've always struggled with. I have a terrible tendency to come inside on the backswing, in other words swinging round the body into what I think Monte calls the "Death Move".

The problem is that I know what I'm doing wrong, but don't always have the right trigger move in the takeaway to keep my backswing on the right track.

One funny thing I noticed recently is that splaying my feet, especially my left one, about 45* from square, helps me achieve a better backswing. If my feet are square, all my weight switches to the right foot, especially the right heel, and it becomes the pivot which the rest of my body turns around. Not good.

Ugh ya, so I went ahead and bought a set of Stensons... cause of my Protos... ya shut up, it makes sense in my head... if I try really hard and just confuse myself :)

They may be a super good deal - pics weren't great - and since it's from Japan it must have put people off, but here's hoping they arrive pre Thanksgiving.

Did you get 5i-PW or 4i-PW? Finding a set with a 4i is harder, and costs more. The local secondhand shop has a set of Legacy Blacks from 5i-PW in right now (or did on Monday), and they were priced at 22,000 yen, IIRC.

Did you get 5i-PW or 4i-PW? Finding a set with a 4i is harder, and costs more. The local secondhand shop has a set of Legacy Blacks from 5i-PW in right now (or did on Monday), and they were priced at 22,000 yen, IIRC.

Ya just the 5 down.

I have a z545 4I or a Wilson FG Tour v4 3I driving iron as my luxury club as I cover 2i to 4i distance with 21* & 27* 913Hs.

And ya those Legacy 4is go individually for $200+ over here, that's bonkers. IIRC maybe here or another thread, that BH mentioned there's even a holy grail 3i out there?

F.T.

That's something I've always struggled with. I have a terrible tendency to come inside on the backswing, in other words swinging round the body into what I think Monte calls the "Death Move".

The problem is that I know what I'm doing wrong, but don't always have the right trigger move in the takeaway to keep my backswing on the right track.

One funny thing I noticed recently is that splaying my feet, especially my left one, about 45* from square, helps me achieve a better backswing. If my feet are square, all my weight switches to the right foot, especially the right heel, and it becomes the pivot which the rest of my body turns around. Not good.

NCN, you probably know the Faldo drill where you take your stance normally with a club, then grip right down the shaft and stick the buttend of the club in your belly button and then turn to about 8 o’clock without the buttend coming free. For me it keeps the wrists quiet, gives me width and keeps everything synced. Also good drill to get everything back together during a round if things go awry.

Edit: I found the video:

Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Fubuki ZT Stiff
Callaway XR Speed 3W Project X HZRDUS T800 65 Stiff
Wilson Staff FG Tour M3 21* Hybrid Aldila RIP Stiff
Cobra King CB/MB Flow 4-6, 7-PW C-Taper Stiff or Mizuno MP4 4-PW
Vokey SM8 52/58; MD Golf 56
Radius Classic 8

NCN, you probably know the Faldo drill where you take your stance normally with a club, then grip right down the shaft and stick the buttend of the club in your belly button and then turn to about 8 o'clock without the buttend coming free. For me it keeps the wrists quiet, gives me width and keeps everything synced. Also good drill to get everything back together during a round if things go awry.

Edit: I found the video:

I hadn't seen that video before, though I know about the club in the belly drill. I'd like to try it standing over the line of a club like he explains in the video to see if it helps with balance. That said, I don't think my problem was sliding my hip forward in the backswing, rather I was going back on the right heel too much. I know for sure I was hitting off the back foot too much, though I'm getting back on track now. Just need to find a good takeaway trigger to get better consistency.

By the way, I took the OG Nike blades to the range yesterday. They are the real deal. About a club shorter than my MP18s and MP4s, but that's to be expected due to the higher lofts of the Nikes. With the MP18s I usually bag three other wedges (50*, 54* and 60*), with the Nikes I can go 52* or 54* and 58* or 60*. Then keep the 3i in the top end of the bag.

Have you read Jim Waldron's Arm/Swing Illusion thread? I found it helpful.

Another thing I adopted, was a feeling of keeping right elbow higher than left till force of arm fold takes over, Adam Scott and Rory do this.

And finally :) Tiger has a his left bicep tangent with target but right almost perpendicular, he keeps that relationship for much of his swing with perhaps minimal roll at the top, dunno but at P6 he looks like he's curling a bar bell with right. I babble, point is initial setup allows for proper lift in the vertical so hands and club do not get sucked inside. This is my current favorite way to address this issue which has plagued me forever.

Oh man, did I ever struggle to change this. It was probably the one change that I struggled with the most.

The thing that has finally helped me the most pretty much change this was very slow motion in front of a mirror. The feel of the more correct move was so alien that it took me for-fugging-ever to believe in it - and the mirror was key to finally accepting the new feel. The one thing I would add to this basic idea is watch your hand path - it often moves out away from body as part of the club sucking inside. If so, bring the hands more inside than you can imagine being right. The other ideas people mention are also part of the deal (r elbow above left, but there really are a bunch of feels that all work - the key is recognizing the new feel and really keeping at it diligently, making sure you're doing the move properly when you think you're doing it properly)

Titlest Tsi2, 10*, GD ADDI 5
Titleist TSi2 16.5 GD ADDI 5

Callaway X-hot pro 3, 4 h
TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

Nard_S, wmblake,

The Jim Waldron Arm Swing illusion has been helpful. I just need to find the right trigger for consistency. The right elbow tip could (edit: also) be useful, I'll see how it works next time on the range.

Mirror work has also helped, more actually for seeing how my posture had deteriorated. Getting the correct posture is vital for me to take the club away correctly.

Oh man, did I ever struggle to change this. It was probably the one change that I struggled with the most.

The thing that has finally helped me the most pretty much change this was very slow motion in front of a mirror. The feel of the more correct move was so alien that it took me for-fugging-ever to believe in it - and the mirror was key to finally accepting the new feel. The one thing I would add to this basic idea is watch your hand path - it often moves out away from body as part of the club sucking inside. If so, bring the hands more inside than you can imagine being right. The other ideas people mention are also part of the deal (r elbow above left, but there really are a bunch of feels that all work - the key is recognizing the new feel and really keeping at it diligently, making sure you're doing the move properly when you think you're doing it properly)

I need to try this mirror out you spoke of on Saturday. I could go for a swing revelation. And a revolution.

Lifting the club and setting it at the top is by far easier than monitoring "clocking" positions.. Most everyone marvels at Couple's swing....why not simplify vs. adding complexity?

Well said. There is so much known literature of differing opinions on how to create a perfect golf swing, that it overwhelms typical golfers. Whether it be simplified, or complex, we have all had to meander through instructional information to develop a better swing. I've had cases where I had read so much, reviewed so much, that I would blur one perspective of a takeaway and blend it with another instructors downswing.

Then I created a bastxxx swing :). Once you have one, its hard to get rid of.

I wonder if left handed golfers have a harder time learning by watching right handed instructors?