Blade users thread (NO DEBATING CLUBHEADS! NO Buy Sell Trade!)

Bigmean

Is the line between blades and forged player CBs blurring? I saw these today and I have blades....but these look pretty awesome.

To my interpretation, those Mizuno Tours are basically blades. Pretty, too.

Agree that they're pretty but I wouldn't call them blades. JMHO of course. :)

The line has been blurring for a couple decades. There are early 21st century muscle cavity irons that are more blade than CB. There's the Ping S59, more bladelike than the iBlades we see now. Even the Precept Tour Premiums could be in that category.

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

Is the line between blades and forged player CBs blurring? I saw these today and I have blades....but these look pretty awesome.

The line has been blurring for a couple decades. There are early 21st century muscle cavity irons that are more blade than CB. There's the Ping S59, more bladelike than the iBlades we see now. Even the Precept Tour Premiums could be in that category.

Yep...not blades in the true sense of the definition...but gawd awful close. Ok, back to blades....but I just thought these looked slicker than Owl s*it.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

Always good to see a new blade from W/S

Can’t wait to have a hit

Driver = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max-D 

3 wood = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max HL

3 Hybrid = Tour Edge Exotics C722
Irons = 4-PW Miura KM 700
Gap Wedge = Miura HB 50*

Sand Wedge = Taylormade MG2 56*

Putter = LAB DF3

Ball = TP5x pix 

I have to be honest, I'm not digging the cutaway muscle. Maybe it could grow on me. <shrug>

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

Kinda like those KZG forged CB blades I have been messing around witH some. Talk about butter knives. The top line on the 3 and 4 irons are thinner than any Macgregor I own. But the blade is a little longer and has taken me a little while to get used to. I have not seriously played them yet but have practiced them some. They do hit good with graphite shafts

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W-- Callaway RAZR-- Speeder 565 R Flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

The first iron like that I remember were an old set of McGregor JNPs my dad owned in the 90's. Lovely set of irons, looked like butter knives from above, had the slightest of cavities, closer to a cut muscle than a full cavity. They felt fantastic when pured, but didn't offer much help if you caught it less pure.

Me dad had the 1 Iron as well, now that was fun :)

The Dee Three - Titleist TS4 9.5 deg, EvenFlow White 6.5 65g, A1 Setting

Henrik - Titleist 917 F3 15 deg, Rogue Max 75x, B2 Setting

The Walking Stick - Titleist 818 H2 19 deg, Rogue Max 85x, B2 Setting

The Interloper - TaylorMade P770 3 iron, S400 Tour Issue, +0.5inch +1 deg loft

The Blades - Nike VR Pro 4 - AW, S400 Tour Issue, +0.5 inch

The Sand Iron - TaylorMade MG2 TW-12 Grind, 56 degree, S400 Tour Issue

The Flopper - TaylorMade MG2 TW-11 Grind, 60 Degree, S400 Tour Issue

The Putter - Nike Method 003 from The Oven

"Golf is only called golf as all the other four letter words have been taken"     - Leslie Nielsen

To borrow an expression I saw on this side, "they might as well be blades". Strictly speaking, they're not, but they're pretty darned close. I view the MP64s in the same way. I played them before I switched to the MP4s. Honestly, I didn't find the 64s any more forgiving than the 4s.

The first iron like that I remember were an old set of McGregor JNPs my dad owned in the 90's. Lovely set of irons, looked like butter knives from above, had the slightest of cavities, closer to a cut muscle than a full cavity. They felt fantastic when pured, but didn't offer much help if you caught it less pure.

I have a set of Macgregor VIP Tours, which are a cavity back. From the looks of it, they have a shallower cavity than the JNPs (never seen the JNPs in the flesh though, just pictures). To echo you, they don't offer much help if you catch it less than pure.

I have the 2i as well. I suppose you could say it's "fun" :dntknw:

So I went to the range today for the first time in three weeks, and the first time hitting a golf ball in over 2 weeks.

The break has done me good :)

I went from "will I make contact with this pass" three weeks ago to "now lets flight this one down a bit" today. I took the OG Nikes along, as well as the 7i from my Wilson fg-J8s (fg-17 for the Japanese market). Just worked on making a decent turn with my shoulders and not try to force the club into any sort of unnatural position on the backswing. Worked wonders. Also, during the lay-off, I noticed that I was getting my hands too close to the body at set up. Giving myself a little bit more room helped a lot today.

The Nikes are simply great irons. Beautiful soft feel, but also with some pop, especially on the longer irons. The Wilson 7i was good, too. I need to regrip them, and look forward to playing them with some persimmon woods next spring.

To borrow an expression I saw on this side, "they might as well be blades". Strictly speaking, they're not, but they're pretty darned close. I view the MP64s in the same way. I played them before I switched to the MP4s. Honestly, I didn't find the 64s any more forgiving than the 4s.

Not out to say they're blades in the strict sense....but I think they will be picked up....looked at for their beauty...then put back by a lot of folks who mentally see them as the same as blades.

I have a set of Macgregor VIP Tours, which are a cavity back. From the looks of it, they have a shallower cavity than the JNPs (never seen the JNPs in the flesh though, just pictures). To echo you, they don't offer much help if you catch it less than pure.

I have the 2i as well. I suppose you could say it's "fun" :dntknw:

OMG...look at that GIANT cavity back!!!! It's a blade in sheep's clothing!

Not out to say they're blades in the strict sense....but I think they will be picked up....looked at for their beauty...then put back by a lot of folks who mentally see them as the same as blades.

Possibly. I think for many people blade is basically a club with a thinnish top line, compact head, and thinnish sole. So even if there is a bit of cavity, it's not very deep and the club ends up getting called a "blade." The 918 Tours (is that the right name) fit this description, I think.

To me, another club that blurs the line is the Srixon 745, particularly when compared to the 945 (765 and 965 also apply, I think). Both the 745 and 945 had a big muscle pad and lots of their weight down on the bottom. With the 745, the cavity itself was only on the top half of the club, but the sweet spot seems to be right behind the muscle, in other words, just like a muscle-back blade.

Possibly. I think for many people blade is basically a club with a thinnish top line, compact head, and thinnish sole. So even if there is a bit of cavity, it's not very deep and the club ends up getting called a "blade." The 918 Tours (is that the right name) fit this description, I think.

To me, another club that blurs the line is the Srixon 745, particularly when compared to the 945 (765 and 965 also apply, I think). Both the 745 and 945 had a big muscle pad and lots of their weight down on the bottom. With the 745, the cavity itself was only on the top half of the club, but the sweet spot seems to be right behind the muscle, in other words, just like a muscle-back blade.

Srixon 745 may as well be a blade IMO. Look at the club. I really don't think the CB is doing all that much to help anyone under a 5 hcp. It is one helluva nice looking iron....game improvement iron that is....LOL!

Users of the 945s and 745s might be able to help here, but the muscle pad on the 745 looks thicker than the one on the 945, which leads me to think that the designers shifted the much of the weight taken from the cavity on the top half down to the bottom half of the head, rather than the perimeter. That ought to lead to a higher ball flight, which would explain the stronger lofts of the 745s compared to the 945s, right?

Anyway, they were both nice clubs. Srixon hit it for six with that lineup.

Hmm, that's a bad metaphor for golf. Don't want a six in golf.

Srixon hit it out of the park with that lineup? No, no good either. Don't want to hint at OB.

Srixon smashed it down the fairway with that lineup.

What I am working on right now. Stage 1.

Those look rather sexy!

Driver = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max-D 

3 wood = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max HL

3 Hybrid = Tour Edge Exotics C722
Irons = 4-PW Miura KM 700
Gap Wedge = Miura HB 50*

Sand Wedge = Taylormade MG2 56*

Putter = LAB DF3

Ball = TP5x pix 

Hogan Irons....best done-deal in town by far. $770 PTx steel or graphite....Ft. Worth's $700 steel or graphite.
does JJ Henry still swing Hogan’s?

Taylormade M4 tour 8.5*   Attas 4U 6X

Srixon Z H45  16*

Callaway Apex MB raw 4-PW  

Cleveland 588    52,60

Scotty Newport the art of putting

-----------------------------------------