Blade users thread (NO DEBATING CLUBHEADS! NO Buy Sell Trade!)

Bigmean

Hogan Irons....best done-deal in town by far. $770 PTx steel or graphite....Ft. Worth's $700 steel or graphite.
does JJ Henry still swing Hogan’s?

"At the onset of the 2018 PGA TOUR season he will playing PTx mid and short irons". Let's face it...pro's are money ho's and play the big names for millions...I would too.

Anybody have experience w/ Nippon Super Peening Blue shafts?

I'm a fan of DG shafts and the SPB has same profile but it's supposed to be a bit more refined in smooth dept. $-Tapers are supposedly pretty close and the both of them are in stratosphere price wise and given a choice I think the SPB is money better 'wasted'.

Anybody have experience w/ Nippon Super Peening Blue shafts?

I'm a fan of DG shafts and the SPB has same profile but it's supposed to be a bit more refined in smooth dept. $-Tapers are supposedly pretty close and the both of them are in stratosphere price wise and given a choice I think the SPB is money better 'wasted'.

I have a set of SPB in my TG-898 Rams. They are indeed smoother. They're also a bit heavier, and I did notice that added weight. Since I have generally liked heavier shafts, I found it a good thing. :)

They are as advertised. Smoother. Appear to help cut the spin a bit, though I can't speak to the SPB/DG difference, having come from KBS Tour in that set. For quite a while, I thought they were a touch softer, but I'm not so sure they are, I think it's the smoother feel that makes them seem that way.

Interestingly, I've always been able to hook the long irons in sets with DG. I've found that more difficult with SPB.

My SPB set are Xstiff, and I've largely been dropping down to Stiff; I've thought about trying to hunt up a set of Stiffs. All the US sources I'd found them on several years ago no longer offer them, it seems Rakuten is the route these days.

I may have to try my 898s again next year....

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

The first iron like that I remember were an old set of McGregor JNPs my dad owned in the 90's. Lovely set of irons, looked like butter knives from above, had the slightest of cavities, closer to a cut muscle than a full cavity. They felt fantastic when pured, but didn't offer much help if you caught it less pure.

Me dad had the 1 Iron as well, now that was fun :)

I have a set of Macgregor VIP Tours, which are a cavity back. From the looks of it, they have a shallower cavity than the JNPs (never seen the JNPs in the flesh though, just pictures). To echo you, they don't offer much help if you catch it less than pure.

I have the 2i as well. I suppose you could say it's "fun" :dntknw:

OMG...look at that GIANT cavity back!!!! It's a blade in sheep's clothing!

Trust me on this--- Missing that 2 iron or 1 iron on a cold day stings just as bad as missing one with a VIP or FC 4000 blade. I never saw those CB blades as forgiving either versus a muscleback

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W-- Callaway RAZR-- Speeder 565 R Flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

The first iron like that I remember were an old set of McGregor JNPs my dad owned in the 90's. Lovely set of irons, looked like butter knives from above, had the slightest of cavities, closer to a cut muscle than a full cavity. They felt fantastic when pured, but didn't offer much help if you caught it less pure.

Me dad had the 1 Iron as well, now that was fun :)

I have a set of Macgregor VIP Tours, which are a cavity back. From the looks of it, they have a shallower cavity than the JNPs (never seen the JNPs in the flesh though, just pictures). To echo you, they don't offer much help if you catch it less than pure.

I have the 2i as well. I suppose you could say it's "fun" :dntknw:

OMG...look at that GIANT cavity back!!!! It's a blade in sheep's clothing!

Trust me on this--- Missing that 2 iron or 1 iron on a cold day stings just as bad as missing one with a VIP or FC 4000 blade. I never saw those CB blades as forgiving either versus a muscleback

Today's MBs are like playing 80's Ping Eye 2's compared to those VIPs. I can feel the bones breaking right now in Pittsburgh in November with light snow on the ground with MT Blades. OWWW!

Four Tops I will have to trust you on that one but I can imagine--- I have been up there in the winter trucking and one time Moose hunting in the UP-- Honestly the coldest I have ever attempted to play in was the high 20s in North Carolina and that was enough. FC-4000 with a Pro Pel shaft and leather grip that was enough for me!!!

I always thought my Pings felt worse on thin hits. <shrug>

Reality... *nothing* feels good on a thin hit at barely above freezing.

Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

Four Tops I will have to trust you on that one but I can imagine--- I have been up there in the winter trucking and one time Moose hunting in the UP-- Honestly the coldest I have ever attempted to play in was the high 20s in North Carolina and that was enough. FC-4000 with a Pro Pel shaft and leather grip that was enough for me!!!

I grew up in Pittsburgh and remember seeing a light dusting of snow on the ground and calling my buddy saying "should we do this?". He'd say "let's do it, but DON'T THIN THE BALL!"

Except walking off the course and going to 19th hole.

Titlest Tsi2, 10*, GD ADDI 5
Titleist TSi2 16.5 GD ADDI 5

Callaway X-hot pro 3, 4 h
TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

Except walking off the course and going to 19th hole.

In days gone by, my temperature limit was about 40*F as a high temp, which meant I would be playing in upper 30s for some of the round. As I've gotten a bit older, I find my tolerance for such rounds is less than it was. Last few years, I've had fewninstances where I could even test that, as the weather has been several degrees above that threshold, or several degrees below.

Funny how that is.

edited to add: throughout all of this, I've stuck with the blades. And they've performed splendidly throughout. All sorts of them, Rams, Muirfields, FG17s, Palmers...

Addition #2: Mildly related side note... as we all know, cooler weather produces less distance, due to air density, at the very least. For many years, I would see distance increases as the weather cooled. I couldn't figure out the reason at first, but think I finally came to something; I wasn't sufficiently keeping my swing in shape over the long Minnesota winters, and my swingspeed would deteriorate over that time. At that time, I was playing each season with a frequency such that my swing would only start rounding into peak shape as the weather was turning, later in the year.

And there's my distance increase in cooler weather.

When I began playing more often, about 10 years ago, I found my distance would peak much earlier in summer, and then I'd see decreases in cooler weather as is normal. LOL

My friend is considering new MBs and asked me which one's I thought are the easiest to hit, and also do some shafts make an otherwise easier to hit club head harder than others? He's a 14 capper, drives the ball about 240, decent swing. He would be going from G25s. I play MP69s in rotation but I have not tried them against newer MBs, so I really can't answer his question by experience.

My friend is considering new MBs and asked me which one's I thought are the easiest to hit, and also do some shafts make an otherwise easier to hit club head harder than others? He's a 14 capper, drives the ball about 240, decent swing. He would be going from G25s. I play MP69s in rotation but I have not tried them against newer MBs, so I really can't answer his question by experience.

IMHO, shaft choice is more important with MB's. It's really the make or break between what gathers dust and what's bagged.

IMHO, shaft choice is more important with MB's. It's really the make or break between what gathers dust and what's bagged.

i agree 100% about the importance of shaft choice in MB's. The PX LZ's in my MP's are a new shaft for me this year and were selected because they help with launch/spin and i seem to be more consistent with my strikes with that shaft. The difference between the LZ's and the other three shafts i tested regarding consistency was rather profound.

Driver PXG Black OPS 9 deg with Tensei white 65

4 wood PXG Black OPS 17 deg with Tensei white 75

Callaway Apex UT #3 driving iron with DG mid 115

Wilson Staff CB 4-PW with DG mid 115 s300

Wedges Ping S159 54s and 60s with DG s300 

Odyssey Ai-one Jailbird Cruiser 

Pro V1 

I started with Macgregor 1025M which are super easy blades to hit. Great 'training wheel starter set' - inexpensive and confidence-building.

As to shaft, not sure. This is more of a fitting question than a universal truth.

Titlest Tsi2, 10*, GD ADDI 5
Titleist TSi2 16.5 GD ADDI 5

Callaway X-hot pro 3, 4 h
TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

Cobra and Srixon's current offerings.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

Hey blade folks....a question. I moved to a heavier driver shaft and hit the ball much better. I rotate in G30 irons with graphite shafts along with MP69s with S300's. I'm starting to question if a heavier shaft is actually better given the driver. I am considering some new blades and wanted to see if you guys lean towards a heavier shaft, or if the S300 is considered to be "good enough" weight-wise. Does a heavier shafted iron hit the ball farther? My SS with a 7 iron is 85-88 mph.

Hey blade folks....a question. I moved to a heavier driver shaft and hit the ball much better. I rotate in G30 irons with graphite shafts along with MP69s with S300's. I'm starting to question if a heavier shaft is actually better given the driver. I am considering some new blades and wanted to see if you guys lean towards a heavier shaft, or if the S300 is considered to be "good enough" weight-wise. Does a heavier shafted iron hit the ball farther? My SS with a 7 iron is 85-88 mph.

Depends, which variant of DG? they can be 112g or 125g? Drivers are getting lighter and lighter, possible your's is ultra-light? I'm pro heavy and have found more yards and better dispersion with them but like medicine too much can have downside too. DG S400 is a great option to explore but KBS or Nippon have good options too. Try the fitting thing but consider extended experiment on the range, I spent 2 months and 2000 balls before I moved up 15-20 grams and it was worth the time/effort spent.

MP5 are pretty forgiving for a nice blade look.

Taylormade M4 tour 8.5*   Attas 4U 6X

Srixon Z H45  16*

Callaway Apex MB raw 4-PW  

Cleveland 588    52,60

Scotty Newport the art of putting

-----------------------------------------

My Mac VIP Limited’s from the early 1970s have original Tourney Taper shafts in Stiff and they feel really heavy compared to S300s. Even though there is a club difference in loft between them and my MP4s (Mac 9-iron is 46* v 42* for MP4), I still hit them the same distance club for club. Dispersion is also better, but they are really tiring to swing over a full round.

Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Fubuki ZT Stiff
Callaway XR Speed 3W Project X HZRDUS T800 65 Stiff
Wilson Staff FG Tour M3 21* Hybrid Aldila RIP Stiff
Cobra King CB/MB Flow 4-6, 7-PW C-Taper Stiff or Mizuno MP4 4-PW
Vokey SM8 52/58; MD Golf 56
Radius Classic 8

Alright so I love the MP-4’s and the MP 67’s in the travel bag are great. That said what is a fairly newer head similar to the 4’s or are the MP 5’s the next natural progression? Used are fine and doesn’t have to be Mizuno.

Side note: we have an old 2-6 set of Daiwa something’s at work that I LOVE. I would bring them home if it was a full set

My Mac VIP Limited’s from the early 1970s have original Tourney Taper shafts in Stiff and they feel really heavy compared to S300s. Even though there is a club difference in loft between them and my MP4s (Mac 9-iron is 46* v 42* for MP4), I still hit them the same distance club for club. Dispersion is also better, but they are really tiring to swing over a full round.

Well you are not alone--- I have been having trouble for the last 2 years or so swinging my FC-400s with Pro Pel 2 shafts. It has gotten to the point that I had to go to softer shafts in both my VIPs and Muirfields--- Lately I have been swinging a set of KZG forged CB blades with graphite shafts and my back seems ok

Well you are not alone--- I have been having trouble for the last 2 years or so swinging my FC-400s with Pro Pel 2 shafts. It has gotten to the point that I had to go to softer shafts in both my VIPs and Muirfields--- Lately I have been swinging a set of KZG forged CB blades with graphite shafts and my back seems ok

I ended up having a few sessions of physio in the summer to sort out neck, shoulder and lower back pain. Interestingly, my physio recommended carrying on playing golf for as long as I could stand the pain while she did her magic with massage, manipulation and acupuncture. With a good stretching regime before and during rounds, I’m pretty much without pain now...but I won’t be putting the Macs back in the bag unless it’s just a fun round from now on.

Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Fubuki ZT Stiff
Callaway XR Speed 3W Project X HZRDUS T800 65 Stiff
Wilson Staff FG Tour M3 21* Hybrid Aldila RIP Stiff
Cobra King CB/MB Flow 4-6, 7-PW C-Taper Stiff or Mizuno MP4 4-PW
Vokey SM8 52/58; MD Golf 56
Radius Classic 8

Depends, which variant of DG? they can be 112g or 125g? Drivers are getting lighter and lighter, possible your's is ultra-light? I'm pro heavy and have found more yards and better dispersion with them but like medicine too much can have downside too. DG S400 is a great option to explore but KBS or Nippon have good options too. Try the fitting thing but consider extended experiment on the range, I spent 2 months and 2000 balls before I moved up 15-20 grams and it was worth the time/effort spent.

My latest driver is the WS C300 with a 58g Speeder shaft. It's definitely heavier than my prior driver. When I tested in the store, the added weight seemed to result in added yardage vs other lighter-shaft drivers. On good hits I easily add 20-25 yards vs. my other driver. So this is why I'm curious if that translates to irons. I tried a guy's Titleist MB's. At first they felt WAY heavy...even vs. my MP69s...and definitely a c-change from my G30 graphites. But after some shots it seemed like the added weight was actually a benefit because I could feel the club, and also because I didn't find myself "muscling" the club....ending up with a better use of the ground to get that "sledgehammer" moving efficiently..

I can get into long range practice sessions...up to 400 balls, which is why I picked up the G30 graphite's so as to not burn-out quickly. But now I'm thinking it may be better to focus on less shots with a heavier iron. I really like the Titleist look and loft's, but there are other contenders too.

Wilson needs to rerelease updated classics. Make slightly more forgiving grinds, cut out the attempts to be Cobra. I am liking some of the stuff they are doing, but they're no quite there, for me...

Moved into the new place. Moved all of my sets a few days before while the wife was at work. Felt a little embarrassed. See the first pic below.

As I was unloading everything, a sort of hierarchy appeared and I decided to leave the top ten sets for last, besides the one's I'm using now and the final pic. Those are going to get shafted up quite soon with either DGs200 or Modus3 105X.

It's my day off and I am having trouble getting motivated to do anything. But, I definitely can't hit golf balls. My wife wants me to unpack everything and buy groceries while she works and our gardener friend is out front working as I type. If I walk out of here with sticks, she'll definitely find out.

As the temple bell tolls in the background, I consider what to do...

Wilson needs to rerelease updated classics. Make slightly more forgiving grinds, cut out the attempts to be Cobra. I am liking some of the stuff they are doing, but they're no quite there, for me...

Moved into the new place. Moved all of my sets a few days before while the wife was at work. Felt a little embarrassed. See the first pic below.

As I was unloading everything, a sort of hierarchy appeared and I decided to leave the top ten sets for last, besides the one's I'm using now and the final pic. Those are going to get shafted up quite soon with either DGs200 or Modus3 105X.

It's my day off and I am having trouble getting motivated to do anything. But, I definitely can't hit golf balls. My wife wants me to unpack everything and buy groceries while she words and our gardener friend is out front working as I type. If I walk out of here with sticks, she'll definitely find out.

As the temple bell tolls in the background, I consider what to do...

Have you called the Addiction Hotline? 1-800-SELLNOW. LOL! Great post!