2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Blade users thread (NO DEBATING CLUBHEADS! NO Buy Sell Trade!)

Bigmean

I went out for a round with the MP4s in the bag today, 5-PW. I took the 4i out for a 9w because the ground was soaking wet--most fairways were so waterlogged it was impossible to avoid a bit of casual water.

The first hole is a par 5, reachable in two for me. I hit a good drive, and was supposedly left with about 220~230. I thought I would lay up to the front with a 9w...beautiful strike, but it soared away left, probably out of bounds. Drop a provisional and rehit and it's good. When I get up there, I'm surprised to see my second a few yards off the left edge (first was OB). Either that yardage marker was wrong, or there was lots of wind behind high up. because there's no way my 9w goes 230 yards. Anyway, I a chip on with a 6i, and BAM! I hole out for a par!

I hit the irons well today, apart from a pulled PW on a par 3 and a thin 9i from a tough lie (downhill and ball below feet). I think I prefer the MP4s to the MP18s. Better feel and thinner top line.

My two problems aren't iron-related: putting and chipping. My putting is dreadful, and my chipping is mediocre at best.

I still haven't been out this year. Usually play a few times in Hawaii in January and then a couple times after that before spring, but just no time for that. But, every morning it isn't raining I can go out in my front yard and chip around now. Grass is still dormant, but slowly turning to green. There is enough contour on the green to have to hit some delicate little shots, which will serve me well when I do get out. The tiniest shots can provide great lessons - I like what Phil Mickelson said something along the lines of 'most people screw up because they don't decide if they want to hit it high or low. So make sure you decide what you want before each shot. Then it's a matter of ball position - off the right foot for low - of the left for high. I also find it's good to try to hit most chips (where there is little room between the ball and the green) with the second groove - gives it enough a nice consistent pop. Short game was always the part of my game that stood out. I could usually keep a decent score together chipping and putting

Didn't get out to hit the 203s today because I was the chauffeur - doctor's office and department store. God damn I can't wait to hit them - the looks fit my eye, do they ever.

I went out for a round with the MP4s in the bag today, 5-PW. I took the 4i out for a 9w because the ground was soaking wet--most fairways were so waterlogged it was impossible to avoid a bit of casual water.

The first hole is a par 5, reachable in two for me. I hit a good drive, and was supposedly left with about 220~230. I thought I would lay up to the front with a 9w...beautiful strike, but it soared away left, probably out of bounds. Drop a provisional and rehit and it's good. When I get up there, I'm surprised to see my second a few yards off the left edge (first was OB). Either that yardage marker was wrong, or there was lots of wind behind high up. because there's no way my 9w goes 230 yards. Anyway, I a chip on with a 6i, and BAM! I hole out for a par!

I hit the irons well today, apart from a pulled PW on a par 3 and a thin 9i from a tough lie (downhill and ball below feet). I think I prefer the MP4s to the MP18s. Better feel and thinner top line.

My two problems aren't iron-related: putting and chipping. My putting is dreadful, and my chipping is mediocre at best.

I still haven't been out this year. Usually play a few times in Hawaii in January and then a couple times after that before spring, but just no time for that. But, every morning it isn't raining I can go out in my front yard and chip around now. Grass is still dormant, but slowly turning to green. There is enough contour on the green to have to hit some delicate little shots, which will serve me well when I do get out. The tiniest shots can provide great lessons - I like what Phil Mickelson said something along the lines of 'most people screw up because they don't decide if they want to hit it high or low. So make sure you decide what you want before each shot. Then it's a matter of ball position - off the right foot for low - of the left for high. I also find it's good to try to hit most chips (where there is little room between the ball and the green) with the second groove - gives it enough a nice consistent pop. Short game was always the part of my game that stood out. I could usually keep a decent score together chipping and putting

Didn't get out to hit the 203s today because I was the chauffeur - doctor's office and department store. God damn I can't wait to hit them - the looks fit my eye, do they ever.

The worst part of my short game is what should be the easiest: green side chips, like a chip-and-run. I get wristy, it's as simple as that. I have been working more on a hinge-and-turn shot, and I'm confident enough with it from 30 yards or so out, but I'm not confident enough to try to from really close to the green. But the short game is not the biggest problem, putting is. 36 putts today on 17 holes (chipped in on the first). Heck, I managed to leave a 5-ft birdie putt short!

I hope you can get out to play some golf, but with a second on the way, that might be tough. Congratulations, anyway, on your second child. She's coming in close behind your first, isn't she?

Congrats! Get them out of the way close together then get fixed! That turned out to be a good plan for my Household, 2 and tied lol.

I sold some RC car stuff yesterday for a good amount, but I also read deeper into it and I think the kuro kage shafts are not what you want from Mitsubishi and the thump/OT tour are the ones from them. Interesting to know the french named nippon clubs are almost with

The price. I read some thing in putter from a guy that “hated” the brand based on just the existence of it but said the putter was up their with his best after rolling it. Still I highly doubt I land there based on cost but I would not have been shocked if they were all status not much substance.

rxk that is crazy, be well!!!!!

Congrats! Get them out of the way close together then get fixed! That turned out to be a good plan for my Household, 2 and tied lol.

I sold some RC car stuff yesterday for a good amount, but I also read deeper into it and I think the kuro kage shafts are not what you want from Mitsubishi and the thump/OT tour are the ones from them. Interesting to know the french named nippon clubs are almost with

The price. I read some thing in putter from a guy that "hated" the brand based on just the existence of it but said the putter was up their with his best after rolling it. Still I highly doubt I land there based on cost but I would not have been shocked if they were all status not much substance.

rxk that is crazy, be well!!!!!

I've got the thumb in my 22 degree CLK hybrid by Mizuno. Really stable shaft. Makes me believe the hybrid will be a winner. If my memory serves me it's the 90 or 95X.

We are definitely stopping at two. We built our house with two bedrooms for kids. And then immediately after we started building my wife delivered the news. Was a weight to learn if there'd be twins. That would have been interesting. So, I'll have two girls 2 and 1/2 years apart. It's gonna be a challenge I think.

Just trying to stay in shape and limber for those rare opportunities to get out. If I can eliminate the two or three blow up holes per game I can still play. I doubt I will get out two times before September this year, but I'll definitely try to sneak out. I got a lot of sets of clubs calling my name!

Chipped with son last night then felt like playing 18 on sim. Figured with auto putts that is same as hitting 45 balls or whatever. I haven’t had nerve pain per say, but a lot of stiffness and soreness....not feeling thrilled right now....next time I hit balls will be on grass. Mats are

No good and I know they sell some that over relief, but I only had a couple heel first fat shots, the rest were clean. Striped the 2 5 irons with smooth swings, probably better shots than I was producing when playing. I also could have just used muscles that frankly have been dormant for 6 months so silver Lining could be that as soreness is higher in my Lower back then my bad parts. I don’t know, but that graphite blade set is Is turning into a graphite old man set haha

Also, this is the one place where I shouldn’t have to explain how it feels like a trickster god is manipulating my life in that since I was old enough to go to golf stores I dreamed of the ridiculousness of a simulator at home with the big screen and all, and yeah somehow that actually happens and being able to use it hurts me.....first world problems but cruel irony nonetheless......

Also, this is the one place where I shouldn't have to explain how it feels like a trickster god is manipulating my life in that since I was old enough to go to golf stores I dreamed of the ridiculousness of a simulator at home with the big screen and all, and yeah somehow that actually happens and being able to use it hurts me.....first world problems but cruel irony nonetheless......

Damn, Biggie, your teenage dreams were a lot cleaner than mine.

Hahahahaha. Well played.

Just came across something interesting. Did Kyoei forget all the scratch stuff? Some dude on eBay was saying that about wedges, I never knew but makes sense based on people raving on the softness.

Also there is a set of some Arnold Palmer limited heads for some crazy price like $900 that look super awesome. Like new old stock from 85 or some thing, but really cool standard looking set.

Little teaser of something that arrived today:

The 3 and 4 irons look to have never been put in the bag at all. Not even a scratch on them, and original Lamkin grips. The 5-PW have been hit, but are in amazing condition, apart from a small ding or gouge on the sole of the 7i (2~3mm long at most). The 5i appears to have been barely used, and somewhat oddly, the 8i looks to have hardly been used as well.

Someone changed the paint-fill on the sole numbers of the 5i-PW from black to dark red. I kinda like it, but I don't know if I can be arsed to match the 3 and 4 irons paint to it (or vice-versa).

They came with DG S300, and they've gone straight in the bag to toy with at the range.

The 3 and 4 irons look to have never been put in the bag at all. Not even a scratch on them, and original Lamkin grips. The 5-PW have been hit, but are in amazing condition, apart from a small ding or gouge on the sole of the 7i (2~3mm long at most). The 5i appears to have been barely used, and somewhat oddly, the 8i looks to have hardly been used as well.

Someone changed the paint-fill on the sole numbers of the 5i-PW from black to dark red. I kinda like it, but I don't know if I can be arsed to match the 3 and 4 irons paint to it (or vice-versa).

They came with DG S300, and they've gone straight in the bag to toy with at the range.

The hoe game knows few like you.

The hoe game knows few like you.

Heh. Head-to-head, I think we'd have a close match. I'm actually looking to shed a few sets of irons. I have 3 on the chopping block, and a couple that are at the end of their days, but I'm even toying with the idea of shifting my MP18s. I just flat-out prefer the MP4s.

Love the lines of that head.

Welcome back Biggie. Back issues are a total bummer. Hoping for the best possible outcome.

Cobra King F9 10.5*
Cobra F9 14.5*
Cobra 18.5*
Adams Super S Hybrids 22*, 25*
NCW 24*, 28*, 33*, 38*, 43*, 48*, 53*
Mac Custom Grind 58* (NevadaGolfGuy Special)
Bradley, Geom, Machine, Mannkrafted, Ping, Rife, SGC, Scotty, Tad Moore, Xenon

OK, some more pictures:

Really chuffed with this purchase. I've been looking for a set for a while, and let slip one a few months ago. They're in great nick, and look superb at address. I gave the 5i a whack in the net at the local golf shop, and it felt magnificent.

These are beautiful, great purchase! Really keen to hear how these perform on the course

Titleist 910D3 9.5°
Taylormade Rocketballz tour 18°

Mizuno MP-H4 2 iron
Callaway ApexMB '18 4 - PW
Vokey SM7 52° + 58°
Ping Scottsdale Halfpipe

OK, some more pictures:

Really chuffed with this purchase. I've been looking for a set for a while, and let slip one a few months ago. They're in great nick, and look superb at address. I gave the 5i a whack in the net at the local golf shop, and it felt magnificent.

These are beautiful, great purchase! Really keen to hear how these perform on the course

Next round I play, I'm taking them out. Just not sure when that will be, but I hope soon.

Any reason you'd advise anyone NOT to get blades a few generations old to save some money? I picked up a 710 MB 6 iron this winter and like it as something to play around with. I'm thinking of picking up a set of 712 MBs as an experiment.

I don't know if I can handle the set or not. I am a long time user of Ping G15s and am enjoying smaller clubs. I used the 716 AP2s late last season with some success and plan for those to be my gamers this year. I think they feel great compared to the G15s.

Dave

Had a quick and dirty range session with the FG62s. Very pleased so far, though I will need to adjust the lies at least 2* upright. Lofts may be a touch strong as well.

The ball flight was good and penetrating, without being too low. Another bonus was that the PW is a proper wedge, and so I can play a three wedge set up. I think the lack of offset makes the PW so versatile.

Had a quick and dirty range session with the FG62s. Very pleased so far, though I will need to adjust the lies at least 2* upright. Lofts may be a touch strong as well.

The ball flight was good and penetrating, without being too low. Another bonus was that the PW is a proper wedge, and so I can play a three wedge set up. I think the lack of offset makes the PW so versatile.

Good for you. A lot of my hoing involves finding sets I've never seen and taking a flyer on them. I've been both surprised and disappointed. Perhaps the most disappointing was an old set of Dunlop blades that had a ton of offset through the set. I find offset is manageable in the shorter irons now - the Japanese reverse offset style. I am getting to really like it in the wedges, to be honest. The F wedge (gap) in the MS203s feels so money, just chipping it in and around the house. That was a pretty pleasant surprise. Maybe it comes from growing up with Eye2s and Ping ISIs...

I still haven't gone out to hit the bloody things - woke up Tuesday with a fever and I've been delirious, just trying to hold everything together, since - Finally able to relax a little and I don't know if I have the energy to make it worth my while and go to the range today. Lord above.

Maybe I can muster the strength to get off this sofa.

Any reason you'd advise anyone NOT to get blades a few generations old to save some money? I picked up a 710 MB 6 iron this winter and like it as something to play around with. I'm thinking of picking up a set of 712 MBs as an experiment.

I don't know if I can handle the set or not. I am a long time user of Ping G15s and am enjoying smaller clubs. I used the 716 AP2s late last season with some success and plan for those to be my gamers this year. I think they feel great compared to the G15s.

Dave

Why not get on with AP2 if you like them buy a set 716 mb then you have a symbiotic match that can you can mix and more importantly are more akin so tacking between sets is easier.

Thoughts on the new srixon blades?

I haven't seen them in the flesh yet but I will be testing these alongside the Callaway MB's to see if I fancy adding a new set to my collection

Driver = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max-D 

3 wood = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max HL

3 Hybrid = Tour Edge Exotics C722
Irons = 4-PW Miura KM 700
Gap Wedge = Miura HB 50*

Sand Wedge = Taylormade MG2 56*

Putter = LAB DF3

Ball = TP5x pix / Bridgestone Tour B-X

I haven't seen them in the flesh yet but I will be testing these alongside the Callaway MB's to see if I fancy adding a new set to my collection

i was very surprised with how long the blade length was compared to even clubs like the new apex pro. definitely longer than the Apex MB's and several other blades... most notably the grooves are noticeably longer. Interesting.

Driver PXG Black OPS 9 deg with Tensei white 65

4 wood PXG Black OPS 17 deg with Tensei white 75

Callaway Apex UT #3 driving iron with DG mid 115

Wilson Staff CB 4-PW with DG mid 115 s300

Wedges Ping S159 54s and 60s with DG s300 

Odyssey Ai-one Jailbird Cruiser 

Pro V1 

i was very surprised with how long the blade length was compared to even clubs like the new apex pro. definitely longer than the Apex MB's and several other blades... most notably the grooves are noticeably longer. Interesting.

That’s probably a no from me then ?

Driver = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max-D 

3 wood = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max HL

3 Hybrid = Tour Edge Exotics C722
Irons = 4-PW Miura KM 700
Gap Wedge = Miura HB 50*

Sand Wedge = Taylormade MG2 56*

Putter = LAB DF3

Ball = TP5x pix / Bridgestone Tour B-X