Blade users thread (NO DEBATING CLUBHEADS! NO Buy Sell Trade!)

Bigmean

Nice set of sticks up there. Can't go wrong with Mizuno. The Mp5 have some of the nicest short irons I've seen too. I hit them at the Mizuno store in Osaka. Whole floor of Mizuno Golf - Might hit it up on Thursday as I gave myself a day off.

Should see my new RTX4 forged 52 then too. That's been the biggest trouble spot in my bag, and I think I finally got it right. It's a special order DGX100. Between 2-3 Ping LWs and a Cleveland 588 60' and the RTX4 forged 56, I think the bottom end of my bag is finally set. The top end is pretty set as well. I was able to play twice last month and I hit 90% of my fairways. Only hit driver 8-9 times those two rounds and they accounted for two of my fairways misses (OB) - still pretty happy with it, as I've been in position to reach every par 5, except 2 (one being because a drive went OB). Really satisfied. with my tee game.

After that, I am severely lacking in magic. Just really lackluster short game, no really good birdie opportunities outside said par5s and I've three putted for par twice. The rest I won't mention. I have one more game coming up here: http://www.shigarakicc.jp/sugiyama/course/ - Hopefully I can conjure up something another round 81-82, isn't gonna cut it.

> @Christen_The_Sloop said:

> Nice set of sticks up there. Can't go wrong with Mizuno. The Mp5 have some of the nicest short irons I've seen too. I hit them at the Mizuno store in Osaka. Whole floor of Mizuno Golf - Might hit it up on Thursday as I gave myself a day off.

>

> Should see my new RTX4 forged 52 then too. That's been the biggest trouble spot in my bag, and I think I finally got it right. It's a special order DGX100. Between 2-3 Ping LWs and a Cleveland 588 60' and the RTX4 forged 56, I think the bottom end of my bag is finally set. The top end is pretty set as well. I was able to play twice last month and I hit 90% of my fairways. Only hit driver 8-9 times those two rounds and they accounted for two of my fairways misses (OB) - still pretty happy with it, as I've been in position to reach every par 5, except 2 (one being because a drive went OB). Really satisfied. with my tee game.

>

> After that, I am severely lacking in magic. Just really lackluster short game, no really good birdie opportunities outside said par5s and I've three putted for par twice. The rest I won't mention. I have one more game coming up here: http://www.shigarakicc.jp/sugiyama/course/ - Hopefully I can conjure up something another round 81-82, isn't gonna cut it.

Damn, that's one fine looking course. Hope you get some decent weather for it. I went out on Friday evening for nine holes with my daughter. The forecast the day before said light cloud and dry. Friday morning that changed to cloudy and 40% chance of rain. By the time we got to the course a persistent downpour had set it. By the sixth hole, puddles were forming on parts of the course.

I'm playing Monday, my first full round since May or June. If the weather's fine I'm going persimmon and blades (RAM Tour Grinds), but if it's going to be wet I'll go with my modern setup.

On the subject of the RTX4 forged, funnily enough I think that's what I'm going for to replace my MD2s, which are getting a bit worn. There's a barely used 52* going cheap in the local secondhand shop with a DGS200, but I kinda want to order a 52 and 58 with S400. Could just get the 58* with a heavier shaft and save some money...but, I'd quite like to get them both raw...

Really like the look of the RTX-4. Glides have a little life left in them so I will keep them throughout next season (wife might lose her mind if I came home with new wedges- although she was supportive of the MP-5s). When I replace the wedges, I am looking at Cleveland or the T-20s.

Driver: PING G410 LST, Ping Tour 65X

3 Wood: PING G400, Project x EvenFlow Blue 75 6.5

3 Hybrid: PING G410, Ping Tour 85 X

Irons: Mizuno MP-5 (4-PW), Dynamic Gold X100

Wedges: PING Glide (50SS, 54WS, 58ES), Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400

Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5

Ball: Taylormade TP5 (Pix or Yellow)

Good to hear your getting out Catchy. And the rain - we've luckily been missed/spared. It's getting pretty intense in Kanto though. I don't think it's going to impact my game on Monday - it's gonna top out at 23 degrees or so...

I hit balls last night after the girls went to sleep - think it might be the best time, going at 9:00pm. I can go about my business and not be concerned about time. Used the toptracer to play St. Andrews and shot a friggin' 81. It was good because I used 56' a lot and learned a few things. Really just making sure I make a full follow through, rotating through impact. I need to find a fix for the tentative shots I played the last few rounds from 160 in.

Thought a lot about how to play the game too. When I get out on the course I need to be more focused on playing the course. For example, leaving myself right to left putts, where possible. As it is, I am kind of just trying to get it on the green. I need to up my focus.

Mak, the RTX-4 are nice. The 4 forged we get here in Japan are on another level. They are the most compact of all the wedges out there. There's nothing close for looks, except the Mizuno, I think it's t-20s. The only wedge I'd put above them are the Miura S01, those are nuts.

Just finished playing 9. The MP-5s were unreal. Love the ball flight and control I had with my distance. One of the best ball striking days I have ever had and could have shot something lower if I could make a putt. Hit 6 of 9 greens but had 4 three putts. Overall, so happy I made the switch.

Christen- wish we had the forged RTX-4 here in the States. After today’s round, I am leaning towards the T-20s.

• Like 1

Driver: PING G410 LST, Ping Tour 65X

3 Wood: PING G400, Project x EvenFlow Blue 75 6.5

3 Hybrid: PING G410, Ping Tour 85 X

Irons: Mizuno MP-5 (4-PW), Dynamic Gold X100

Wedges: PING Glide (50SS, 54WS, 58ES), Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400

Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5

Ball: Taylormade TP5 (Pix or Yellow)

Played my first round with my MP20 MB today. Went decently well but mainly due to my driver (which I was recently fit for). Had 70% of fairways and the ones I missed were by a few feet if that. Hit just over 60% of greens but wasn't swinging all that well. A couple missed GIR were silly short game mistakes I won't get into here - bunkers were atrocious condition wise. I don't know if it's the shaft or what but I found I was getting the irons a touch thin. They're reasonably forgiving toe side but I certainly am not hitting dead centre every strike like I was my Titleist combo. Also something a bit weird looking to me at address with the toe that is throwing me off - I may need to get them flattened a bit more. Overall they did what they needed to do but I had pretty high expectations. Might prefer the Titleist I think I'm going to have to test.

So I am over here level-headedly preparing for my round, three beer and a half a bottle of cab sav deep. And this is one reason I can't take blades out to the course, not that the MR23 CBs are all that forgiving. I'm on the edge of taking the Mizuno ms203 blades I picked up this summer, or was it spring, out to the course. But, then I could take my Maruman conductor Pros out - they've got DGx100, but skinny Tour Velvets....Or perhaps I could make just take out the half of them - split them up. The well has gone dry on the TN87. The Hogan Redlines don't have the shaft I like, though the grips are perfect. There are 20 other sets of clubs just sitting there. Gonna have to sell... I am going to shoot 8 fucking 2.

> @balls_deep said:

> Played my first round with my MP20 MB today. Went decently well but mainly due to my driver (which I was recently fit for). Had 70% of fairways and the ones I missed were by a few feet if that. Hit just over 60% of greens but wasn't swinging all that well. A couple missed GIR were silly short game mistakes I won't get into here - bunkers were atrocious condition wise. I don't know if it's the shaft or what but I found I was getting the irons a touch thin. They're reasonably forgiving toe side but I certainly am not hitting dead centre every strike like I was my Titleist combo. Also something a bit weird looking to me at address with the toe that is throwing me off - I may need to get them flattened a bit more. Overall they did what they needed to do but I had pretty high expectations. Might prefer the Titleist I think I'm going to have to test.

In my random hoedom of buying sets and such, being a touch thin is a shaft thing especially if you are moving more heavy or stiff. Their new to your swing and some tweaking of tempo and timing may be needed. I envy the MP 20's, nice choice, Mizuno has been doing good things on their last several releases. Best of luck with them.

> @Christen_The_Sloop said:

> So I am over here level-headedly preparing for my round, three beer and a half a bottle of cab sav deep. And this is one reason I can't take blades out to the course, not that the MR23 CBs are all that forgiving. I'm on the edge of taking the Mizuno ms203 blades I picked up this summer, or was it spring, out to the course. But, then I could take my Maruman conductor Pros out - they've got DGx100, but skinny Tour Velvets....Or perhaps I could make just take out the half of them - split them up. The well has gone dry on the TN87. The Hogan Redlines don't have the shaft I like, though the grips are perfect. There are 20 other sets of clubs just sitting there. Gonna have to sell... I am going to shoot 8 **** 2.

Well at least you get to play, lol. Scheduled for today but there's 2" of rain coming through. I hit on something at the range last week and am really looking forward to getting out again. It will have to wait a few days but found why I was doing well in Spring and early Summer on ball striking. It's a simple macro level "swing thought" that allowed for double digits GIR's and possible new level of score which I share the same frustrations with you on.

> @Nard_S said:

> > @balls_deep said:

> > Played my first round with my MP20 MB today. Went decently well but mainly due to my driver (which I was recently fit for). Had 70% of fairways and the ones I missed were by a few feet if that. Hit just over 60% of greens but wasn't swinging all that well. A couple missed GIR were silly short game mistakes I won't get into here - bunkers were atrocious condition wise. I don't know if it's the shaft or what but I found I was getting the irons a touch thin. They're reasonably forgiving toe side but I certainly am not hitting dead centre every strike like I was my Titleist combo. Also something a bit weird looking to me at address with the toe that is throwing me off - I may need to get them flattened a bit more. Overall they did what they needed to do but I had pretty high expectations. Might prefer the Titleist I think I'm going to have to test.

>

> In my random hoedom of buying sets and such, being a touch thin is a shaft thing especially if you are moving more heavy or stiff. Their new to your swing and some tweaking of tempo and timing may be needed. I envy the MP 20's, nice choice, Mizuno has been doing good things on their last several releases. Best of luck with them.

Did your body sort out the tempo change? The thing with the shaft adjustment is that it removed my left miss. The distance drop offs on miss hits are all fine - I toed one pretty badly with my 6 iron and it still flew 180 carry into the wind. My front and back dispersion was great on course but not so much on the range. Low point is definitely going to take some time to sort out. I'm worried that especially at this time of year I went a bit too stiff. That said, with my LZ I hit an 8 iron to a 165 par 3 with no wind last week and sucked it 15-20 feet back off the green. With the $Taper X I'm getting one hop and stop which I much prefer. Makes hitting your number way easier. Time will tell but I'm not entirely sold that these are for me.

> @balls_deep said:

> > @Nard_S said:

> > > @balls_deep said:

> > > Played my first round with my MP20 MB today. Went decently well but mainly due to my driver (which I was recently fit for). Had 70% of fairways and the ones I missed were by a few feet if that. Hit just over 60% of greens but wasn't swinging all that well. A couple missed GIR were silly short game mistakes I won't get into here - bunkers were atrocious condition wise. I don't know if it's the shaft or what but I found I was getting the irons a touch thin. They're reasonably forgiving toe side but I certainly am not hitting dead centre every strike like I was my Titleist combo. Also something a bit weird looking to me at address with the toe that is throwing me off - I may need to get them flattened a bit more. Overall they did what they needed to do but I had pretty high expectations. Might prefer the Titleist I think I'm going to have to test.

> >

> > In my random hoedom of buying sets and such, being a touch thin is a shaft thing especially if you are moving more heavy or stiff. Their new to your swing and some tweaking of tempo and timing may be needed. I envy the MP 20's, nice choice, Mizuno has been doing good things on their last several releases. Best of luck with them.

>

> Did your body sort out the tempo change? The thing with the shaft adjustment is that it removed my left miss. The distance drop offs on miss hits are all fine - I toed one pretty badly with my 6 iron and it still flew 180 carry into the wind. My front and back dispersion was great on course but not so much on the range. Low point is definitely going to take some time to sort out. I'm worried that especially at this time of year I went a bit too stiff. That said, with my LZ I hit an 8 iron to a 165 par 3 with no wind last week and sucked it 15-20 feet back off the green. With the $Taper X I'm getting one hop and stop which I much prefer. Makes hitting your number way easier. Time will tell but I'm not entirely sold that these are for me.

Well good news is that it is end of season, so might be proper time to ingratiate the swing to new shafts. And it does not sound like there's a huge leap for you. Give it some time and some trial. Easy to do well or poorly with new gear, trick is after 4 months or so, are things really better? There's a duality that always co-exists. Gear, shafts in particular, can pull you in the wrong and the right way at the same time. Bank the good, work the new poor. Several rounds, or a 2 hour fitting fitting, does not really flesh out the answer. At least not for me.

I had slightly differing issue. Played mid weight/flex shafts for eons but always had 5 yards left and long on what felt like great strikes. Moving up in both, took out left misses and dialed in dispersion a lot but there was a thin issue to deal with. The fix was both of timing/tempo which the body did move to but it it was also a recognition that I was losing body geometry, extending and losing angles too early in downswing. The cliff notes on that was greater amplitude and efficiency of body rotation to arm power. Heavier and stiffer pulled me that way but at times also masked faults or amplified the wrong thing. So be discerning. But the net of my shaft changes over last few years has been, higher GIR's, a higher floor or anti-cap and higher ceiling of play. Good luck.

Picked up a used set of Taylormade Tour Preferred MBs with TIX100s. Went to the range just to feel them and then off to the course I went. Obvious that the lifts are weaker than what I’ve been playing but the feel of a centered up blade is just fabulous. Just wanted to share my return to blades with you guys...whether I stay there (3-P) or go with a split set, it certainly felt nice.

• Like 1

> @Nard_S said:

> > @balls_deep said:

> > > @Nard_S said:

> > > > @balls_deep said:

> > > > Played my first round with my MP20 MB today. Went decently well but mainly due to my driver (which I was recently fit for). Had 70% of fairways and the ones I missed were by a few feet if that. Hit just over 60% of greens but wasn't swinging all that well. A couple missed GIR were silly short game mistakes I won't get into here - bunkers were atrocious condition wise. I don't know if it's the shaft or what but I found I was getting the irons a touch thin. They're reasonably forgiving toe side but I certainly am not hitting dead centre every strike like I was my Titleist combo. Also something a bit weird looking to me at address with the toe that is throwing me off - I may need to get them flattened a bit more. Overall they did what they needed to do but I had pretty high expectations. Might prefer the Titleist I think I'm going to have to test.

> > >

> > > In my random hoedom of buying sets and such, being a touch thin is a shaft thing especially if you are moving more heavy or stiff. Their new to your swing and some tweaking of tempo and timing may be needed. I envy the MP 20's, nice choice, Mizuno has been doing good things on their last several releases. Best of luck with them.

> >

> > Did your body sort out the tempo change? The thing with the shaft adjustment is that it removed my left miss. The distance drop offs on miss hits are all fine - I toed one pretty badly with my 6 iron and it still flew 180 carry into the wind. My front and back dispersion was great on course but not so much on the range. Low point is definitely going to take some time to sort out. I'm worried that especially at this time of year I went a bit too stiff. That said, with my LZ I hit an 8 iron to a 165 par 3 with no wind last week and sucked it 15-20 feet back off the green. With the $Taper X I'm getting one hop and stop which I much prefer. Makes hitting your number way easier. Time will tell but I'm not entirely sold that these are for me.

>

> Well good news is that it is end of season, so might be proper time to ingratiate the swing to new shafts. And it does not sound like there's a huge leap for you. Give it some time and some trial. Easy to do well or poorly with new gear, trick is after 4 months or so, are things really better? There's a duality that always co-exists. Gear, shafts in particular, can pull you in the wrong and the right way at the same time. Bank the good, work the new poor. Several rounds, or a 2 hour fitting fitting, does not really flesh out the answer. At least not for me.

>

> I had slightly differing issue. Played mid weight/flex shafts for eons but always had 5 yards left and long on what felt like great strikes. Moving up in both, took out left misses and dialed in dispersion a lot but there was a thin issue to deal with. The fix was both of timing/tempo which the body did move to but it it was also a recognition that I was losing body geometry, extending and losing angles too early in downswing. The cliff notes on that was greater amplitude and efficiency of body rotation to arm power. Heavier and stiffer pulled me that way but at times also masked faults or amplified the wrong thing. So be discerning. But the net of my shaft changes over last few years has been, higher GIR's, a higher floor or anti-cap and higher ceiling of play. Good luck.

>

>

Sounds a lot like me. Definitely bringing out some swing flaws which I'm happy to sort out. Prior to this I'd get quick and have get an extra 10 yards in the air and miss 20 yards left. Very annoying. Everything feels more in check dispersion wise - probably cut in half but the thin shot is definitely there. I'll see how my experiment goes as I just shafted up my 716 CB/MB set with the same shafts. Something just looks more "right" to me about my Titleists I don't know what it is. I'll see how they go on the range and then decide what I'm going to do.

> @SBH9458 said:

> Picked up a used set of Taylormade Tour Preferred MBs with TIX100s. Went to the range just to feel them and then off to the course I went. Obvious that the lifts are weaker than what I’ve been playing but the feel of a centered up blade is just fabulous. Just wanted to share my return to blades with you guys...whether I stay there (3-P) or go with a split set, it certainly felt nice.

Iirc, a certain Sir Nick had a say in the design of those heads. I think he tweaked the transition from hosel to head and the TM guys were amazed at how much better they looked at address than the protos.

Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Fubuki ZT Stiff
Callaway XR Speed 3W Project X HZRDUS T800 65 Stiff
Wilson Staff FG Tour M3 21* Hybrid Aldila RIP Stiff
Cobra King CB/MB Flow 4-6, 7-PW C-Taper Stiff or Mizuno MP4 4-PW
Vokey SM8 52/58; MD Golf 56
Radius Classic 8

> @mahonie said:

> > @SBH9458 said:

> > Picked up a used set of Taylormade Tour Preferred MBs with TIX100s. Went to the range just to feel them and then off to the course I went. Obvious that the lifts are weaker than what I’ve been playing but the feel of a centered up blade is just fabulous. Just wanted to share my return to blades with you guys...whether I stay there (3-P) or go with a split set, it certainly felt nice.

>

> Iirc, a certain Sir Nick had a say in the design of those heads. I think he tweaked the transition from hosel to head and the TM guys were amazed at how much better they looked at address than the protos.

They’re beautiful blades. Offset...not much. Feel...fabulous. Whomever had a hand in them, good on them!!!

• Like 1

Played my first full round in while today. Beautiful weather for golf, so no excuses. We started early, the first group off, and with the remnants of the morning mist and dew, the course was looking beautiful.

I started with a poor drive, smothered hook, but recovered with a nice 8i from the rough to set up a smooth 3-putt bogey... Ended the first 9 on 4 over (40), and we were told that there would be an hour and a half break for lunch. We asked if we could cut in, and the starter managed to fit us on the front nine of a different course (the place has two 18-hole courses). It was busy, but that was better than sitting around for 90 minutes.

Started the back nine with a decent drive and a nice 8i to set up a smooth 3-putt bogey...

I lost concentration a bit on the 12th after we arrived on the 12th tee to find three groups ahead of us waiting to tee off, but got back into the game with a scrambling par on 14.

Came to the last, a par 3, needing a par to break 80. An OK 8i set up a smooth 3-putt bogey....

0wbz1pniljyb.jpg

s6062qp5il9a.jpg

sww5cgn6f59h.jpg

1am2tz2l5ioc.jpg

de1wsl0i7eks.jpg

• Like 3

> @No_Catchy_Nickname said:

> Played my first full round in while today. Beautiful weather for golf, so no excuses. We started early, the first group off, and with the remnants of the morning mist and dew, the course was looking beautiful.

> I started with a poor drive, smothered hook, but recovered with a nice 8i from the rough to set up a smooth 3-putt bogey... Ended the first 9 on 4 over (40), and we were told that there would be an hour and a half break for lunch. We asked if we could cut in, and the starter managed to fit us on the front nine of a different course (the place has two 18-hole courses). It was busy, but that was better than sitting around for 90 minutes.

>

> Started the back nine with a decent drive and a nice 8i to set up a smooth 3-putt bogey...

> I lost concentration a bit on the 12th after we arrived on the 12th tee to find three groups ahead of us waiting to tee off, but got back into the game with a scrambling par on 14.

> Came to the last, a par 3, needing a par to break 80. An OK 8i set up a smooth 3-putt bogey....

> 0wbz1pniljyb.jpg

> s6062qp5il9a.jpg

> sww5cgn6f59h.jpg

> 1am2tz2l5ioc.jpg

> de1wsl0i7eks.jpg

>

Nicely put (or should I say 3 putt?!?).

Looks like a very beautiful course and not dissimilar to the venue for the Zozo Championship.

Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Fubuki ZT Stiff
Callaway XR Speed 3W Project X HZRDUS T800 65 Stiff
Wilson Staff FG Tour M3 21* Hybrid Aldila RIP Stiff
Cobra King CB/MB Flow 4-6, 7-PW C-Taper Stiff or Mizuno MP4 4-PW
Vokey SM8 52/58; MD Golf 56
Radius Classic 8

> @mahonie said:

> > @No_Catchy_Nickname said:

> > Played my first full round in while today. Beautiful weather for golf, so no excuses. We started early, the first group off, and with the remnants of the morning mist and dew, the course was looking beautiful.

> > I started with a poor drive, smothered hook, but recovered with a nice 8i from the rough to set up a smooth 3-putt bogey... Ended the first 9 on 4 over (40), and we were told that there would be an hour and a half break for lunch. We asked if we could cut in, and the starter managed to fit us on the front nine of a different course (the place has two 18-hole courses). It was busy, but that was better than sitting around for 90 minutes.

> >

> > Started the back nine with a decent drive and a nice 8i to set up a smooth 3-putt bogey...

> > I lost concentration a bit on the 12th after we arrived on the 12th tee to find three groups ahead of us waiting to tee off, but got back into the game with a scrambling par on 14.

> > Came to the last, a par 3, needing a par to break 80. An OK 8i set up a smooth 3-putt bogey....

> > 0wbz1pniljyb.jpg

> > s6062qp5il9a.jpg

> > sww5cgn6f59h.jpg

> > 1am2tz2l5ioc.jpg

> > de1wsl0i7eks.jpg

> >

>

> Nicely put (or should I say 3 putt?!?).

>

> Looks like a very beautiful course and not dissimilar to the venue for the Zozo Championship.

>

Obviously, our level of play was pretty similar to the Zozo Championship as well ;)

Funny thing about my putting was that overall I didn't think it was too bad. That last hole is a devil to putt on anyway, as it has a huge slope from the back down to the front, as well as from left down to the right. The left to right slope is more pronounced on the right side of the green, where the pin was yesterday. The best place to be off the tee is straight below the hole, and yesterday I wasn't that far off that, except I was a bit left of the pin. My first putt, which was a bit too strong, broke about 4 yards left to right, and started to turn back down the slope.

Anyway, I've seen as many, if not more, three-putts on that green as two-putts. In fact, I think all three of us 3-putted it yesterday.

I also holed a 40-footer for a birdie on one par three, after hitting a rather indifferent 8i in. So not all my 8i approach shots ended with a 3-putt, only 75% of them!

Anyway, as I say, overall I didn't _think_ it was too bad, but when I check my card I see I had 33 putts, so it really wasn't very good.

• Like 1

Nice set up Catchy! You and I shot the same score. One of the most mentally draining, roller coaster rounds I've played. Nice course. Nicest greens I've played on this year. I rolled in a few putts finally, but still making two many errors on the greens and with wedges. Two examples are leaving a 12 footer for birdie up the gut short 6 inches. The next hole I was a little further and blew it 6 feet by and missed the come backer. Next hole was a triple - that sealed another round in the 80s. I just compounded mistake after mistake. All I had to do was hit that first putt. I may have one issue (the 60 yard and in pitch) sorted out (and nicely). But, still a host of other problems. Still not hitting any inspired shots with the irons.

I'm loving the g400. I didn't hit any bad drives with it. The average one's were great and the good one's were excellent. Still managed to poke one OB on the front side. I pushed one ever so slighly from an elevated tee and it landed in the right rough. I thought I'd have a decent second into the par5. After that I learned there was a pond down the right (not on any of the pictures on the scorecard) and of course the pond was ob - nice. I was even through 6 at that point and I finished the front side in 40.

I shouldn't go out expecting anything - I'm playing decent golf considering I've played 5 times this year. And three of the courses were the first time I've played them. As for Narashino CC. My father in law played there last year and he said that greens at the course I we played yesterday and there are very similar.

@No_Catchy_Nickname Seeing your clubs... what a great set! That right there is OLD SCHOOL to be sure. Not that you hadn't talked about especially the Tour Grinds, but somehow seeing the whole bag just made me smile. Very nice.

I played a scramble today with good friends on nice course on a beautiful warm sunny day ... and played pretty well, as we all did. (Came in 2nd at -11). One of those days when you just don't want the round to end, when you feel how much you love playing golf.

• Like 1

Titlest Tsi2, 10*, GD ADDI 5
Titleist TSi2 16.5 GD ADDI 5

Callaway X-hot pro 3, 4 h
TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

Really nice looking course, **C_T_S**.

Now is probably the best time of year for greens here. The ones at the place I played at were rolling pretty well and certainly fast.

Like you, I've still got some issues to iron out with the wedges. My chipping is good now, but anything 50 yards over is a bit "meh".

Not many inspired iron shots for me, either, but I'd give myself a passing mark with them: no massive errors, just nothing stuck close. I'm having a bit of a problem with my distances, as I've definitely lost some yardage due to my back issue.

Yesterday's strongpoints were chipping and fairway woods. Tee shots were a mixed bag, irons acceptable, wedges...well, I got lucky in that some mediocre strikes produced good results, but not really that good, and putting was on the poor side.

I think if I get out again this year, I'll take my modern bag along.

> @wmblake2000 said:

> @No_Catchy_Nickname Seeing your clubs... what a great set! That right there is OLD SCHOOL to be sure. Not that you hadn't talked about especially the Tour Grinds, but somehow seeing the whole bag just made me smile. Very nice.

>

> I played a scramble today with good friends on nice course on a beautiful warm sunny day ... and played pretty well, as we all did. (Came in 2nd at -11). One of those days when you just don't want the round to end, when you feel how much you love playing golf.

I was inspired to pick up the Tour Grinds by a certain spaniel lover who sometimes posts here....

They're a good set, and I like their look at address. I wasn't in great form with them yesterday, but that was more my fault than theirs.

The weather was so good yesterday that we all agreed we would have liked to play 9 more holes at least if only the course weren't so jammed up.

• Like 2

Had grand plans to take my 1980 Golden Rams on the course a couple times at the end of the season. Was playing in a Blizzard Open event at my course this past weekend, didnt want to iron switch before that. Played, we did just ok, had fun, and it's time to get ready for last few rounds.

Except Mother Nature has different plans. Our temperatures this week have been running 15-20*F below our normal temps. We didnt reach freezing today, i think. My course has closed for the season, barring any possi ble warming trend. Which no weather folks are predicting.

Used to routinely be able to play until Veteran's Day / Armistice Day, but we're being stopped short of even the end of October.

Sad is me.

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

First range session test-driving my 2011 TaylorMade MBs. First blade experience and I’m extremely impressed...distance-wise, I surprisingly haven’t lost anything compared to my J40 DPCs, and I’m actually hitting them straighter. That may have something to do with the C-Taper 130s in them too, which I’m loving compared to the Nippons in my Bridgestones.

Always thought I would get completely humbled when I finally tried blades, but this was actually a really pleasant surprise!

jgeo3764c726.jpeg

• Like 1

I've always liked that model of TM blades. Hit them at a demo day, they made a good impression.

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

> @NRJyzr said:

> Had grand plans to take my 1980 Golden Rams on the course a couple times at the end of the season. Was playing in a Blizzard Open event at my course this past weekend, didnt want to iron switch before that. Played, we did just ok, had fun, and it's time to get ready for last few rounds.

>

> Except Mother Nature has different plans. Our temperatures this week have been running 15-20*F below our normal temps. We didnt reach freezing today, i think. My course has closed for the season, barring any possi ble warming trend. Which no weather folks are predicting.

>

> Used to routinely be able to play until Veteran's Day / Armistice Day, but we're being stopped short of even the end of October.

>

> Sad is me.

That's unfortunate. I can't imagine coming to the end of October and thinking that there's not more golf for 4~5 months.

I've decided I need to improve my wedge game, and significantly. When it's firing, so is the rest of my game (not often at all). It's the lynch pin to scoring. A swing thought that carried me a little in my last game, but was simply not the be all end all. I wanted to continue to turn through impact, to a balanced finish. The problem was marrying my arm and shoulder swing. A few times, I timed it right and those wedge shots came off beautifully. However, I need to be on target more. Wedges are where I should be attacking pins, not merely hoping to get it on the green. And so off to the range I went

I finally got the arm/shoulder connection shored for partial shots and full shots were getting tighter and tighter too - I found it was really important to initiate the swing with shoulders and really focus on feeling the club head. Controlling the swing with the big muscles and being a little firmer in my hand action, but allowing some wrist hinge. The problem is, I work on something and forget it the next day, so here I am writing my thoughts.

As for Sir Nick, I took another of the designs he had a hand in to the range for a second look. The Mizuno MS203 are such a lovely club. Definitely have to find a time to use them on course.