Blade users thread (NO DEBATING CLUBHEADS! NO Buy Sell Trade!)

Bigmean

I don't always play blades. But when I do, it's with the '99 Hogan Apex. Shafted Nippon 950's R flex, TYVM.

My .783 VCOG easy to launch, not **that** problematic to play, forged sweetness, not to pristine as to worry about hitting them, old man's baller MB's. For the buds, who remark, "You really going to try and play those?".

As a matter of fact, just yesterday. They were fun.

n6ipdwcb5jb0.jpeg

• Like 1

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

Stand corrected on history....they produced them in 99-2K, the rest was stock while they pushed out Plus, Edge Pro & Edge Pro Plus. The 03's are slightly different. Whatever on Maltby malarky.... I carried them for 3 years, still have 2 sets, to say they are just high balling blades is speaking from total ignorance. VCG without context is completely worthless and not even transparent to itself. Fat bottomed, thicker top line club vs more evenly massed MB can have exact same VCG and not play the same at all. The easy flight of long irons owes a lot to the FM shafts but the heads are rather neutral. It's good part what makes them great. Trajectory and spin control is outstanding. The downside to Apex FM is aggressive swinging left me long and left too often on good passes, so I moved on.

> @Jonesy said:

> > @No_Catchy_Nickname said:

> > The T-10 and T-11 difference was something I think I was told in a secondhand golf shop. Playing back in the UK, I borrowed a friend's wedge, which was a T-10, and really liked it. When I was back in Japan I went looking for one in the local golf shop. There were no T-10s, but the guy in the shop pointed out a couple of second hand T-11s and said they were the same wedge just with conforming grooves. I ended up buying them, and I do think they were the same shape and specs as the T-10. I really liked them, except that I found the thin sole of the 58* tough in bunkers, and ended up trading them in for the Callaway MD2s which I still play. Bit stupid of me, because they really are great wedges. Best 54* I have ever played.

> > As you can probably guess, I don't care about whether a club's conforming or not either. I've got tons of older stuff that may or may not be conforming, and it doesn't keep me awake at night. Funny you mention the Vokey 200 series. I've got a 60* (Vokey 260) and I really like it. It's shape reminds me a little of the T-10//11s.

> >

> > Those Faldo wedges are another good find. I think you have not a scrap heap there but a treasure mountain.

>

> Still rocking my T-11's, 54° and 58°, the grooves on the 54° are still alright but the 58° is definitely getting tired... interested in the new T20's though, problem is golf stuff is expensive these days :(

>

>

I can't believe there's any metal left on the heads of those T-11s by now, let alone grooves. How man years have they been in the bag?

> @Nard_S said:

>

> Stand corrected on history....they produced them in 99-2K, the rest was stock while they pushed out Plus, Edge Pro & Edge Pro Plus. The 03's are slightly different. Whatever on Maltby malarky.... I carried them for 3 years, still have 2 sets, to say they are just high balling blades is speaking from total ignorance. VCG without context is completely worthless and not even transparent to itself. Fat bottomed, thicker top line club vs more evenly massed MB can have exact same VCG and not play the same at all. The easy flight of long irons owes a lot to the FM shafts but the heads are rather neutral. It's good part what makes them great. Trajectory and spin control is outstanding. The downside to Apex FM is aggressive swinging left me long and left too often on good passes, so I moved on.

The Apex shafts aren't great for me either. I shafted a set of these that I've had for several years last fall with DGS300's and I love them. I have several others sets of blades, Mizuno, Titleist, older Hogans etc... that I put in to play every now and then, but nothing that makes me want to take them out of the bag permanently. I also have a some 2003 heads that I will shaft up one of these days to compare, but from what I hear these are preferred by most people that have tried both.

> @Nard_S said:

> Btw, learned a long time ago that one piece forgings with any significant CB geometry are lacking compared to their MB counter parts. They give up too much punch for the extra few millimeters of hit zone. If I ever decide to go CB they will be of one piece cast in the form of 962B's that await.

As a player that goes back and forth between Founders 200 series blades and 962b, I approve this post??

Titleist TSR2 10* (d4 surefit) Fujikura Motore Speeder 7.2s
Titleist 904f 17* YS7+s
Titleist 962b 3-pw s300
Cleveland zipcore tour rack custom 52* s400
Cleveland zipcore tour rack custom 58* s400
Ping Zing2 BeCu

> @"Joe S" said:

> > @Nard_S said:

> >

> > Stand corrected on history....they produced them in 99-2K, the rest was stock while they pushed out Plus, Edge Pro & Edge Pro Plus. The 03's are slightly different. Whatever on Maltby malarky.... I carried them for 3 years, still have 2 sets, to say they are just high balling blades is speaking from total ignorance. VCG without context is completely worthless and not even transparent to itself. Fat bottomed, thicker top line club vs more evenly massed MB can have exact same VCG and not play the same at all. The easy flight of long irons owes a lot to the FM shafts but the heads are rather neutral. It's good part what makes them great. Trajectory and spin control is outstanding. The downside to Apex FM is aggressive swinging left me long and left too often on good passes, so I moved on.

>

> The Apex shafts aren't great for me either. I shafted a set of these that I've had for several years last fall with DGS300's and I love them. I have several others sets of blades, Mizuno, Titleist, older Hogans etc... that I put in to play every now and then, but nothing that makes me want to take them out of the bag permanently. I also have a some 2003 heads that I will shaft up one of these days to compare, but from what I hear these are preferred by most people that have tried both.

Good to know you had positive experienced w/ re-shaft, I will do the same one day.

I just won an auction for bridgestone j15 mb 4-pw on the bay yesterday. Super excited about them as I want to start hitting blades again just because I miss that sweet feeling. Never hit the j15's before, but just took the plunge because why not. Just love the classic blade look and after much research, they seem to be a little longer blade length which I like. Have not played blades in a very long time. I learned to play with mp 14's that were stolen from me many years ago. I'll post some pics upon arrival. Will probably combo them with my tour b cb that are currently in the bag. Plus I have a jgr h2 4 iron coming as well. Will be fun to gap test.

Mizuno   STZ 230 9.5*   Tensei Raw White 65x

Taylormade   Tour Issue Stealth  3 HL Hzrdus RDX Blue 70 6.5

Taylormade   Stealth+ 5w   Diamana OG Kai’Li 70x  

Wilson   Staff CB 7-P / D9 Forged 5-6  Modus 120x

Vokey   Sm8 50, Sm10 54s bent to 55, Sm10 60s all custom ground 

Bettinardi  Custom BB46

Srixon Z Star 💎  OR   Bridgestone Tour B X 

> @No_Catchy_Nickname said:

> > @Jonesy said:

> > > @No_Catchy_Nickname said:

> > > The T-10 and T-11 difference was something I think I was told in a secondhand golf shop. Playing back in the UK, I borrowed a friend's wedge, which was a T-10, and really liked it. When I was back in Japan I went looking for one in the local golf shop. There were no T-10s, but the guy in the shop pointed out a couple of second hand T-11s and said they were the same wedge just with conforming grooves. I ended up buying them, and I do think they were the same shape and specs as the T-10. I really liked them, except that I found the thin sole of the 58* tough in bunkers, and ended up trading them in for the Callaway MD2s which I still play. Bit stupid of me, because they really are great wedges. Best 54* I have ever played.

> > > As you can probably guess, I don't care about whether a club's conforming or not either. I've got tons of older stuff that may or may not be conforming, and it doesn't keep me awake at night. Funny you mention the Vokey 200 series. I've got a 60* (Vokey 260) and I really like it. It's shape reminds me a little of the T-10//11s.

> > >

> > > Those Faldo wedges are another good find. I think you have not a scrap heap there but a treasure mountain.

> >

> > Still rocking my T-11's, 54° and 58°, the grooves on the 54° are still alright but the 58° is definitely getting tired... interested in the new T20's though, problem is golf stuff is expensive these days :(

> >

> >

>

> I can't believe there's any metal left on the heads of those T-11s by now, let alone grooves. How man years have they been in the bag?

Probably 6 or 7 years now... lack of practice has helped preserve them to a degree :D I'll try upload some pics of them, I'm sure I'll scare some people!

Titleist 910D3 9.5°
Taylormade Rocketballz tour 18°

Mizuno MP-H4 2 iron
Callaway ApexMB '18 4 - PW
Vokey SM7 52° + 58°
Ping Scottsdale Halfpipe

Played yesterday, gross 84, but was a 10 par & 11 greens hit round. Putting stroke is good feeling but I'm reading too much break, so lots of close misses. Tee performance is lacking and need to just groove plus 200 clubs more. The 681's are a real pleasure to nut. Earthy and visceral. But even bad passes work out okay, considering. My GIR's are up with them, so they are staying in the bag. I have beautiful VR Pro's but I'm going to put TI S400's in them before they get used again. Rifle in X flex suits me well and gives up a lot of options for any club, (btw, Koepka bags Rifle's, go figure) Which brings me a point that been a while I've given full appreciation. MB's need a lot more nuance and calculus in shot selection. A mentality of "stock shot and stock distances" gets upended easier with them and it's not all because 'well, you just suck' at impact or how your body feels that day. They give you more flight options but it's a necessity to vet and use them more too. More art, less dart has been lost by me in my quest for fundamental swing improvement. Might be Captain Obvious on this but the irony is when I immerse my play in the artful, impact becomes more dartful too. Party on, Garth.

Always saw Koepka bagging DG in his irons. When did he use Rifles? > @Nard_S said:

> Played yesterday, gross 84, but was a 10 par & 11 greens hit round. Putting stroke is good feeling but I'm reading too much break, so lots of close misses. Tee performance is lacking and need to just groove plus 200 clubs more. The 681's are a real pleasure to nut. Earthy and visceral. But even bad passes work out okay, considering. My GIR's are up with them, so they are staying in the bag. I have beautiful VR Pro's but I'm going to put TI S400's in them before they get used again. Rifle in X flex suits me well and gives up a lot of options for any club, (btw, Koepka bags Rifle's, go figure) Which brings me a point that been a while I've given full appreciation. MB's need a lot more nuance and calculus in shot selection. A mentality of "stock shot and stock distances" gets upended easier with them and it's not all because 'well, you just suck' at impact or how your body feels that day. They give you more flight options but it's a necessity to vet and use them more too. More art, less dart has been lost by me in my quest for fundamental swing improvement. Might be Captain Obvious on this but the irony is when I immerse my play in the artful, impact becomes more dartful too. Party on, Garth.

>

> @boggyman said:

> Always saw Koepka bagging DG in his irons. When did he use Rifles? > @Nard_S said:

> > Played yesterday, gross 84, but was a 10 par & 11 greens hit round. Putting stroke is good feeling but I'm reading too much break, so lots of close misses. Tee performance is lacking and need to just groove plus 200 clubs more. The 681's are a real pleasure to nut. Earthy and visceral. But even bad passes work out okay, considering. My GIR's are up with them, so they are staying in the bag. I have beautiful VR Pro's but I'm going to put TI S400's in them before they get used again. Rifle in X flex suits me well and gives up a lot of options for any club, (btw, Koepka bags Rifle's, go figure) Which brings me a point that been a while I've given full appreciation. MB's need a lot more nuance and calculus in shot selection. A mentality of "stock shot and stock distances" gets upended easier with them and it's not all because 'well, you just suck' at impact or how your body feels that day. They give you more flight options but it's a necessity to vet and use them more too. More art, less dart has been lost by me in my quest for fundamental swing improvement. Might be Captain Obvious on this but the irony is when I immerse my play in the artful, impact becomes more dartful too. Party on, Garth.

> >

>

>

On TT web site, there's a video talking about Project vs Rifle's, guy mentioned final group at WGC, that was Koepka and Rory, no?

Correct on the pairing. Brooks is an X100 guy. Rory is Px, has been forever.> @Nard_S said:

> > @boggyman said:

> > Always saw Koepka bagging DG in his irons. When did he use Rifles? > @Nard_S said:

> > > Played yesterday, gross 84, but was a 10 par & 11 greens hit round. Putting stroke is good feeling but I'm reading too much break, so lots of close misses. Tee performance is lacking and need to just groove plus 200 clubs more. The 681's are a real pleasure to nut. Earthy and visceral. But even bad passes work out okay, considering. My GIR's are up with them, so they are staying in the bag. I have beautiful VR Pro's but I'm going to put TI S400's in them before they get used again. Rifle in X flex suits me well and gives up a lot of options for any club, (btw, Koepka bags Rifle's, go figure) Which brings me a point that been a while I've given full appreciation. MB's need a lot more nuance and calculus in shot selection. A mentality of "stock shot and stock distances" gets upended easier with them and it's not all because 'well, you just suck' at impact or how your body feels that day. They give you more flight options but it's a necessity to vet and use them more too. More art, less dart has been lost by me in my quest for fundamental swing improvement. Might be Captain Obvious on this but the irony is when I immerse my play in the artful, impact becomes more dartful too. Party on, Garth.

> > >

> >

> >

>

> On TT web site, there's a video talking about Project vs Rifle's, guy mentioned final group at WGC, that was Koepka and Rory, no?

>

> @boggyman said:

> Correct on the pairing. Brooks is an X100 guy. Rory is Px, has been forever.> @Nard_S said:

> > > @boggyman said:

> > > Always saw Koepka bagging DG in his irons. When did he use Rifles? > @Nard_S said:

> > > > Played yesterday, gross 84, but was a 10 par & 11 greens hit round. Putting stroke is good feeling but I'm reading too much break, so lots of close misses. Tee performance is lacking and need to just groove plus 200 clubs more. The 681's are a real pleasure to nut. Earthy and visceral. But even bad passes work out okay, considering. My GIR's are up with them, so they are staying in the bag. I have beautiful VR Pro's but I'm going to put TI S400's in them before they get used again. Rifle in X flex suits me well and gives up a lot of options for any club, (btw, Koepka bags Rifle's, go figure) Which brings me a point that been a while I've given full appreciation. MB's need a lot more nuance and calculus in shot selection. A mentality of "stock shot and stock distances" gets upended easier with them and it's not all because 'well, you just suck' at impact or how your body feels that day. They give you more flight options but it's a necessity to vet and use them more too. More art, less dart has been lost by me in my quest for fundamental swing improvement. Might be Captain Obvious on this but the irony is when I immerse my play in the artful, impact becomes more dartful too. Party on, Garth.

> > > >

> > >

> > >

> >

> > On TT web site, there's a video talking about Project vs Rifle's, guy mentioned final group at WGC, that was Koepka and Rory, no?

> >

>

>

So I thought, apparently the guy at TT has it wrong OR Koepka is/was experimenting with Rifle.

No telling these days.... hit ‘em straight!!> @Nard_S said:

> > @boggyman said:

> > Correct on the pairing. Brooks is an X100 guy. Rory is Px, has been forever.> @Nard_S said:

> > > > @boggyman said:

> > > > Always saw Koepka bagging DG in his irons. When did he use Rifles? > @Nard_S said:

> > > > > Played yesterday, gross 84, but was a 10 par & 11 greens hit round. Putting stroke is good feeling but I'm reading too much break, so lots of close misses. Tee performance is lacking and need to just groove plus 200 clubs more. The 681's are a real pleasure to nut. Earthy and visceral. But even bad passes work out okay, considering. My GIR's are up with them, so they are staying in the bag. I have beautiful VR Pro's but I'm going to put TI S400's in them before they get used again. Rifle in X flex suits me well and gives up a lot of options for any club, (btw, Koepka bags Rifle's, go figure) Which brings me a point that been a while I've given full appreciation. MB's need a lot more nuance and calculus in shot selection. A mentality of "stock shot and stock distances" gets upended easier with them and it's not all because 'well, you just suck' at impact or how your body feels that day. They give you more flight options but it's a necessity to vet and use them more too. More art, less dart has been lost by me in my quest for fundamental swing improvement. Might be Captain Obvious on this but the irony is when I immerse my play in the artful, impact becomes more dartful too. Party on, Garth.

> > > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > >

> > > On TT web site, there's a video talking about Project vs Rifle's, guy mentioned final group at WGC, that was Koepka and Rory, no?

> > >

> >

> >

> So I thought, apparently the guy at TT has it wrong OR Koepka is/was experimenting with Rifle.

>

> @Nard_S said:

> Any of you guys frame the ball heel side with your blades? I started doing this and love the higher consistency of impact. Imparts a more inside path intent but allows for slight outside with better impact. I have always centered the ball but I've seen many a Pro do this and since I tend to be slight outside to frame, this works for me.

> Still going with 681's right now, getting more comfort with them. Love their consistency on direction and distance. Bending ball is Mecredes Benz steady. Can go obscenely long too. But even if I'm swinging "B" level, I know what I'll get. Playing tomorrow, switching back to 56* Maruman SW. The Cobra wedge is 54* and I cannot deal with faster pace of greens with that. Favorite time of year for me to play here in Yankee New England. Cheers.

Thank you sir.

I tried this at the range before my round the other day after reading this.

It worked great on the range so I took it to the course.

The best ball striking day I have had in a long time. I was especially better with my wedges.

> @aquapig said:

> > @Nard_S said:

> > Any of you guys frame the ball heel side with your blades? I started doing this and love the higher consistency of impact. Imparts a more inside path intent but allows for slight outside with better impact. I have always centered the ball but I've seen many a Pro do this and since I tend to be slight outside to frame, this works for me.

> > Still going with 681's right now, getting more comfort with them. Love their consistency on direction and distance. Bending ball is Mecredes Benz steady. Can go obscenely long too. But even if I'm swinging "B" level, I know what I'll get. Playing tomorrow, switching back to 56* Maruman SW. The Cobra wedge is 54* and I cannot deal with faster pace of greens with that. Favorite time of year for me to play here in Yankee New England. Cheers.

>

> Thank you sir.

> I tried this at the range before my round the other day after reading this.

> It worked great on the range so I took it to the course.

> The best ball striking day I have had in a long time. I was especially better with my wedges.

>

I'm still doing it and make sure that my hands to body is consistent, that I'm not just moving arms to arrive at it. Also find I'm graduated about it too, do it more with short irons and wedges. Works well on partial shots but I'm looking to nudge mids & longs more heel bound at setup,. It encourages me to throw swing more out to target instead of being slightly left path. It's been leading me to grasp intent of full, connected arm extension at P8(?). A sense of arms reaching down the line, so to speak. A sense of releasing trail shoulder fully through impact with lead wrist leading it all, yet keeping swing center back. .A sense of delaying the violence by a fraction. When I do this, good moves go automatic and pop of ball speed is tremendous without swinging like a gorilla. MB's work fine on inner hemisphere of head, so why not take advantage?

Update—played 12 holes (got rained out). Had 4 GIR. The BH Grind are high launching and play extremely close the Apex 1988 Redlines, in my hands. View from topline is just classic, and soft feel is there in abundance.

I definitely have to take more club—the 5 iron is at 30 degrees of loft, so I’m a club behind my usual set. Or, put another way, I’m playing a slightly lengthened set with weird numbering. BUT, it’s a lot of fun to hit a 4 iron with confidence, knowing it’s really just my 5 iron, and then get good flight and distance. The long irons are just a lot of fun to put in play.

So, long story short, this was a great $50 purchase. The BH Grind deserves it’s respected place next to the Redlines.

> @revanant said:

> Update—played 12 holes (got rained out). Had 4 GIR. The BH Grind are high launching and play extremely close the Apex 1988 Redlines, in my hands. View from topline is just classic, and soft feel is there in abundance.

>

> I definitely have to take more club—the 5 iron is at 30 degrees of loft, so I’m a club behind my usual set. Or, put another way, I’m playing a slightly lengthened set with weird numbering. BUT, it’s a lot of fun to hit a 4 iron with confidence, knowing it’s really just my 5 iron, and then get good flight and distance. The long irons are just a lot of fun to put in play.

>

> So, long story short, this was a great $50 purchase. The BH Grind deserves it’s respected place next to the Redlines.

And this is why jacking lofts is not helping amateurs as much as many would purport. My lens is obviously bias given I don’t have trouble with ball striking or speed but IMO loft gives confidence, launch, and control to many.

• Like 1

> @balls_deep said:

> > @revanant said:

> > Update—played 12 holes (got rained out). Had 4 GIR. The BH Grind are high launching and play extremely close the Apex 1988 Redlines, in my hands. View from topline is just classic, and soft feel is there in abundance.

> >

> > I definitely have to take more club—the 5 iron is at 30 degrees of loft, so I’m a club behind my usual set. Or, put another way, I’m playing a slightly lengthened set with weird numbering. BUT, it’s a lot of fun to hit a 4 iron with confidence, knowing it’s really just my 5 iron, and then get good flight and distance. The long irons are just a lot of fun to put in play.

> >

> > So, long story short, this was a great $50 purchase. The BH Grind deserves it’s respected place next to the Redlines.

>

> And this is why jacking lofts is not helping amateurs as much as many would purport. My lens is obviously bias given I don’t have trouble with ball striking or speed but IMO loft gives confidence, launch, and control to many.

Agreed. It just wasn’t a big deal to hit the lower irons, which makes perfect sense for an era before hybrids. More loft = easier to hit, for sure.

One other thing which is really great about the Hogan Apex is that they are a thin but high bounce sole design. Worked great in this soft soil of South Florida. Ben Hogan really knew his stuff on iron design.

You can see a ton of the Hogan DNA in the current Callaway Apex MB. Similar head size, top line, and feel. The Hogans are right up there on great feel at impact, despite nearly pushing 30 years of age.

Ok so now I am playing both miz MP4/MP64. Both quality clubs. Here’s what strikes me. With the blades, on flush hits, they are in fact, a little longer, not shorter as a lot of people suggest. I haven’t verified lofts are true but I assume they are. The shafts are slightly different but weights are almost identical.

I just find this ... interesting. Any observations re this from you guys?

PS: I think my long search for irons is over. The fact that I ended up with 2 sets that combined cost me maybe $700 is especially satisfying ($10k later!)

• Like 1

Titlest Tsi2, 10*, GD ADDI 5
Titleist TSi2 16.5 GD ADDI 5

Callaway X-hot pro 3, 4 h
TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

> @wmblake2000 said:

> Ok so now I am playing both miz MP4/MP64. Both quality clubs. Here’s what strikes me. With the blades, on flush hits, they are in fact, a little longer, not shorter as a lot of people suggest. I haven’t verified lofts are true but I assume they are. The shafts are slightly different but weights are almost identical.

>

> I just find this ... interesting. Any observations re this from you guys?

>

> PS: I think my long search for irons is over. The fact that I ended up with 2 sets that combined cost me maybe $700 is especially satisfying ($10k later!)

Always found MB's to be slightly longer from #3i to PW from any CB (loft for loft) I've used. Some variation on MB to MB basis, shaft plays a big role there but notion that CB's are longer has never panned out for me either.

> @wmblake2000 said:

> Ok so now I am playing both miz MP4/MP64. Both quality clubs. Here’s what strikes me. With the blades, on flush hits, they are in fact, a little longer, not shorter as a lot of people suggest. I haven’t verified lofts are true but I assume they are. The shafts are slightly different but weights are almost identical.

>

>

> PS: I think my long search for irons is over. The fact that I ended up with 2 sets that combined cost me maybe $700 is especially satisfying ($10k later!)

It's all about launch conditions. I'm sure this isn't across the board, but grossly generalizing, it seems blades spin the ball more than CBs. If the increased spin from the blade benefits you and your normal launch conditions, you could see a distance increase.

In my case.... I played Mizuno MS-11s for quite a while starting in the mid-2000s. When I switched to lower spin irons, I got a distance bump due to the spin drop; I'd been spinning them too much. These days, now that I don't seem to be spinning the ball as much as I once did, I'd probably see different results with a similar switch.

The MP-37s I'm playing these days with the Snell MTB Black or Wilson Duo Professional are certainly not providing too much spin, I've had no issues. I've not compared them with any CBs to see how the distance might measure up.

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

> @wmblake2000 said:

>

>

I think the main observation I would make on Mp-4 vs MP-64 is just that, according to Maltby, they are essentially the same iron. I’ve never hit the MP-64. But Maltby has the MP-4 just edging the MP-64 in Vertical center of gravity by .01 (.762 vs .763) while the Mp-64 has a whopping .1 more MOI (11.58 vs 11.68). So, unless you’re seeing a big difference in quality of play, I personally wouldn’t even think to bother with the MP-64. I’d just play my MP-4s down through the bag.

• Like 1

> @NRJyzr said:

> > @wmblake2000 said:

> > Ok so now I am playing both miz MP4/MP64. Both quality clubs. Here’s what strikes me. With the blades, on flush hits, they are in fact, a little longer, not shorter as a lot of people suggest. I haven’t verified lofts are true but I assume they are. The shafts are slightly different but weights are almost identical.

> >

> > I just find this ... interesting. Any observations re this from you guys?

> >

> > PS: I think my long search for irons is over. The fact that I ended up with 2 sets that combined cost me maybe $700 is especially satisfying ($10k later!)

>

>

> It's all about launch conditions. I'm sure this isn't across the board, but grossly generalizing, it seems blades spin the ball more than CBs. If the increased spin from the blade benefits you and your normal launch conditions, you could see a distance increase.

>

> In my case.... I played Mizuno MS-11s for quite a while starting in the mid-2000s. When I switched to lower spin irons, I got a distance bump due to the spin drop; I'd been spinning them too much. These days, now that I don't seem to be spinning the ball as much as I once did, I'd probably see different results with a similar switch.

>

> The MP-37s I'm playing these days with the Snell MTB Black or Wilson Duo Professional are certainly not providing too much spin, I've had no issues. I've not compared them with any CBs to see how the distance might measure up.

Hmm. That may be what it is... I might put them on a launch monitor to see if that's what it is. Maybe, because the MP4 are also a little higher launch and they just carry farther. That does sound like spin, doesn't it?

TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

> @revanant said:

> > @wmblake2000 said:

> > Ok so now I am playing both miz MP4/MP64. Both quality clubs. Here’s what strikes me. With the blades, on flush hits, they are in fact, a little longer, not shorter as a lot of people suggest. I haven’t verified lofts are true but I assume they are. The shafts are slightly different but weights are almost identical.

> >

> > I just find this ... interesting. Any observations re this from you guys?

> >

> > PS: I think my long search for irons is over. The fact that I ended up with 2 sets that combined cost me maybe $700 is especially satisfying ($10k later!)

>

> I think the main observation I would make on Mp-4 vs MP-64 is just that, according to Maltby, they are essentially the same iron. I’ve never hit the MP-64. But Maltby has the MP-4 just edging the MP-64 in Vertical center of gravity by .01 (.762 vs .763) while the Mp-64 has a whopping .1 more MOI (11.58 vs 11.68). So, unless you’re seeing a big difference in quality of play, I personally wouldn’t even think to bother with the MP-64. I’d just play my MP-4s down through the bag.

So far, my impression is the MP 64 is a little more consistent in the mid-irons (5,6). 4 iron is tough to hit these days with either club. I really like having both hanging around. I might add a fli-hi 4 iron at some point.

TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W