Blade users thread (NO DEBATING CLUBHEADS! NO Buy Sell Trade!)

Bigmean

> @No_Catchy_Nickname said:

> > @Christen_The_Sloop said:

> > > @No_Catchy_Nickname said:

> > > > @"BIG STU" said:

> > > > > @No_Catchy_Nickname said:

> > > > > > @deejaid said:

> > > > > > > @No_Catchy_Nickname said:

> > > > > > > > @Kingcat990 said:

> > > > > > > > What a very strange and awesome cut muscle iron. Beautiful sticks. Let's see them faces

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > Yes, that is a really interesting muscle design. Wonder what the two stars represent?

> > > > > > > Nice looking clubs, and great pictures, **deejaid**.

> > > > > >

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Thanks man. Yeah, I was wondering about the two stars also, although searching eBay those two stars made it easy to spot an exact matching sand wedge also with the two stars. Might need to pick that up.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > From the Macgregor catalog “For the discriminating golfer, the backs of these precision broached blades are specially grooved for a mathematically accurate counter-balancing of weight, providing a compact hitting area- power into the shot, distance into the ball.”

> > > > > >

> > > > > > A set of 8 (2-9) was $72.00

> > > > >

> > > > > I wouldn't normally advise anyone to pick up a Mac sand wedge*, but for those beauties, I'd make an exception. As long as the price was reasonable, of course.

> > > > >

> > > > > "Mathematically accurate counter-balancing....." Nice to see that marketing talk has changed so little in 70 years!

> > > > >

> > > > > As for the 2 stars, it puzzled me because with irons named after Byron Nelson, the logical thing would be one star for the "lone star state" he was from.

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > > * The SW in my Mac Tourney's R58s has to be one of the worst-designed sand wedges I have ever seen. And the offset on the SW in my reissue VIP irons from the 80s is just ridiculous. The SW in my Muirfields isn't so bad, though.

> > > >

> > > > I know exactly what you are talking about on offset on Mac Sand Wedges. I have a VIP Curtis Strange that he gave me himself ( another story for another day) and it is offset as heck. I have a Nicklaus Muirfield that I picked up off of one of the piles and it has the offset from he double hockey sticks. Now most of my older Penna Sand wedges do not have a lot of offset.

> > >

> > > I'm glad it's not just me, and I am sure you've seen dozens more Mac sand wedges than I have.

> > > The thing I find with offset is that there are some clubs where I don't mind it, and others where I can't stand it. The offset on my reissue Mac VIPs is ridiculous in the PW and SW (and pretty bad in the 9i, to be honest), but I don't mind the offset so much in a new BeCu gap wedge.

> > > Not sure why that is.

> >

> > I can't count how many set wedges I have taking up space in my attic. The worst among them are the Bridgestone Proisme, The Macgregor R58 and the Pro82 (I didn't even need to look at it). The GW and SW in the TN87 is one where I don't mind looking them, but they have an inordinate amount of bounce that relegates them to where they are.

> >

> > I finally picked up a Cleveland RTX4 forged 56 and it's just fun... I've really dialed in my chipping as of late. Got back to practicing with one ball (instead of 4 or 5) and it's not only improved my focus, but I seem to have found a really nice rhythm with pitches. Before one ball I'd use four or five and miss one or two, either scully or fat, just from carelessness. I want to eliminate that word from my golf vocabulary.

> >

> > Thanks for all the ideas about shafts above too. I find it way too interesting.

>

> I don't care much for any of the Japanese set sand wedges from that period. I've one in a Mizuno ANGC set that's alright, and that's about it.

>

> I still haven't bought the RTX4 forged wedges yet. I was pretty much about to take the plunge right before I got my hernia. Think I'll play my MD2s for the rest of the year. Got to say, though, that of all the wedges I hit (and I hit a lot), the RTX4 forged and the Bridgestone XW1s were the best in terms of look, feel, and cost.

> Did you get the raw model?

Nah not raw.., there was a good deal on a brand new special order on Yahoo auction. It came with a S400 shaft, so... I'm either going to get a 52 or a 60 or later and probably won't go raw unless I see a 60 floating around online. If I wait a few months, they are going to be virtually giving them away here. Cleveland don't (forged or no) just can't move here...

> @Christen_The_Sloop said:

> > @No_Catchy_Nickname said:

> > > @Christen_The_Sloop said:

> > > > @No_Catchy_Nickname said:

> > > > > @"BIG STU" said:

> > > > > > @No_Catchy_Nickname said:

> > > > > > > @deejaid said:

> > > > > > > > @No_Catchy_Nickname said:

> > > > > > > > > @Kingcat990 said:

> > > > > > > > > What a very strange and awesome cut muscle iron. Beautiful sticks. Let's see them faces

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > Yes, that is a really interesting muscle design. Wonder what the two stars represent?

> > > > > > > > Nice looking clubs, and great pictures, **deejaid**.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > Thanks man. Yeah, I was wondering about the two stars also, although searching eBay those two stars made it easy to spot an exact matching sand wedge also with the two stars. Might need to pick that up.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > From the Macgregor catalog “For the discriminating golfer, the backs of these precision broached blades are specially grooved for a mathematically accurate counter-balancing of weight, providing a compact hitting area- power into the shot, distance into the ball.”

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > A set of 8 (2-9) was $72.00

> > > > > >

> > > > > > I wouldn't normally advise anyone to pick up a Mac sand wedge*, but for those beauties, I'd make an exception. As long as the price was reasonable, of course.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > "Mathematically accurate counter-balancing....." Nice to see that marketing talk has changed so little in 70 years!

> > > > > >

> > > > > > As for the 2 stars, it puzzled me because with irons named after Byron Nelson, the logical thing would be one star for the "lone star state" he was from.

> > > > > >

> > > > > >

> > > > > > * The SW in my Mac Tourney's R58s has to be one of the worst-designed sand wedges I have ever seen. And the offset on the SW in my reissue VIP irons from the 80s is just ridiculous. The SW in my Muirfields isn't so bad, though.

> > > > >

> > > > > I know exactly what you are talking about on offset on Mac Sand Wedges. I have a VIP Curtis Strange that he gave me himself ( another story for another day) and it is offset as heck. I have a Nicklaus Muirfield that I picked up off of one of the piles and it has the offset from he double hockey sticks. Now most of my older Penna Sand wedges do not have a lot of offset.

> > > >

> > > > I'm glad it's not just me, and I am sure you've seen dozens more Mac sand wedges than I have.

> > > > The thing I find with offset is that there are some clubs where I don't mind it, and others where I can't stand it. The offset on my reissue Mac VIPs is ridiculous in the PW and SW (and pretty bad in the 9i, to be honest), but I don't mind the offset so much in a new BeCu gap wedge.

> > > > Not sure why that is.

> > >

> > > I can't count how many set wedges I have taking up space in my attic. The worst among them are the Bridgestone Proisme, The Macgregor R58 and the Pro82 (I didn't even need to look at it). The GW and SW in the TN87 is one where I don't mind looking them, but they have an inordinate amount of bounce that relegates them to where they are.

> > >

> > > I finally picked up a Cleveland RTX4 forged 56 and it's just fun... I've really dialed in my chipping as of late. Got back to practicing with one ball (instead of 4 or 5) and it's not only improved my focus, but I seem to have found a really nice rhythm with pitches. Before one ball I'd use four or five and miss one or two, either scully or fat, just from carelessness. I want to eliminate that word from my golf vocabulary.

> > >

> > > Thanks for all the ideas about shafts above too. I find it way too interesting.

> >

> > I don't care much for any of the Japanese set sand wedges from that period. I've one in a Mizuno ANGC set that's alright, and that's about it.

> >

> > I still haven't bought the RTX4 forged wedges yet. I was pretty much about to take the plunge right before I got my hernia. Think I'll play my MD2s for the rest of the year. Got to say, though, that of all the wedges I hit (and I hit a lot), the RTX4 forged and the Bridgestone XW1s were the best in terms of look, feel, and cost.

> > Did you get the raw model?

>

> Nah not raw.., there was a good deal on a brand new special order on Yahoo auction. It came with a S400 shaft, so... I'm either going to get a 52 or a 60 or later and probably won't go raw unless I see a 60 floating around online. If I wait a few months, they are going to be virtually giving them away here. Cleveland don't (forged or no) just can't move here...

>

>

Yeah, that's part of the reason why I have held off buying them.

I agree with you about them not being big sellers here as I don't see them in that many bags. Slightly surprising as Matsuyama uses them; I would have thought that would help sell a few.

> > @"BIG STU" said:

> > > > @deejaid said:

> > > > > > @Kingcat990 said:

> > > > > > What a very strange and awesome cut muscle iron. Beautiful sticks. Let's see them faces

> > > > >

> > > > > Yes, that is a really interesting muscle design. Wonder what the two stars represent?

> > > > > Nice looking clubs, and great pictures, **deejaid**.

> > > >

> > > >

> > > > Thanks man. Yeah, I was wondering about the two stars also, although searching eBay those two stars made it easy to spot an exact matching sand wedge also with the two stars. Might need to pick that up.

> > > >

> > > > From the Macgregor catalog “For the discriminating golfer, the backs of these precision broached blades are specially grooved for a mathematically accurate counter-balancing of weight, providing a compact hitting area- power into the shot, distance into the ball.”

> > > >

> > > > A set of 8 (2-9) was $72.00

> > >

> > > I wouldn't normally advise anyone to pick up a Mac sand wedge*, but for those beauties, I'd make an exception. As long as the price was reasonable, of course.

> > >

> > > "Mathematically accurate counter-balancing....." Nice to see that marketing talk has changed so little in 70 years!

> > >

> > > As for the 2 stars, it puzzled me because with irons named after Byron Nelson, the logical thing would be one star for the "lone star state" he was from.

> > >

> > >

> > > * The SW in my Mac Tourney's R58s has to be one of the worst-designed sand wedges I have ever seen. And the offset on the SW in my reissue VIP irons from the 80s is just ridiculous. The SW in my Muirfields isn't so bad, though.

> >

> > I know exactly what you are talking about on offset on Mac Sand Wedges. I have a VIP Curtis Strange that he gave me himself ( another story for another day) and it is offset as heck. I have a Nicklaus Muirfield that I picked up off of one of the piles and it has the offset from he double hockey sticks. Now most of my older Penna Sand wedges do not have a lot of offset.

>

> I'm glad it's not just me, and I am sure you've seen dozens more Mac sand wedges than I have.

> The thing I find with offset is that there are some clubs where I don't mind it, and others where I can't stand it. The offset on my reissue Mac VIPs is ridiculous in the PW and SW (and pretty bad in the 9i, to be honest), but I don't mind the offset so much in a new BeCu gap wedge.

> Not sure why that is.

Funny thing about VIP reissues it does depend on what year they were made as to the offset especially the 8 and 9 irons. Both of my sets of VIPs do not have any offset. You also run into another can of worms with Muirfields some. And in this case I am not talking about 20ths either. Some Muirfields are forged and some are cast. Some have rounded toes and some are squared off some. The cast ones seem to have more offset in the short irons. My 2 Tour Forged sets have the exact profile as both sets of VIPs I have. The cast set has a little more offset in the short irons. I would love to sit down with Don White sometime and ask him about all of that. I do not claim to know everything about Macgregor clubs and wish maybe someone with more knowledge will chime in on the above subject

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W-- Callaway RAZR-- Speeder 565 R Flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* TT Sensicore S-400

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

> > > > @"BIG STU" said:

> > > > > > @deejaid said:

> > > > > > > > @Kingcat990 said:

> > > > > > > > What a very strange and awesome cut muscle iron. Beautiful sticks. Let's see them faces

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > Yes, that is a really interesting muscle design. Wonder what the two stars represent?

> > > > > > > Nice looking clubs, and great pictures, **deejaid**.

> > > > > >

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Thanks man. Yeah, I was wondering about the two stars also, although searching eBay those two stars made it easy to spot an exact matching sand wedge also with the two stars. Might need to pick that up.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > From the Macgregor catalog “For the discriminating golfer, the backs of these precision broached blades are specially grooved for a mathematically accurate counter-balancing of weight, providing a compact hitting area- power into the shot, distance into the ball.”

> > > > > >

> > > > > > A set of 8 (2-9) was $72.00

> > > > >

> > > > > I wouldn't normally advise anyone to pick up a Mac sand wedge*, but for those beauties, I'd make an exception. As long as the price was reasonable, of course.

> > > > >

> > > > > "Mathematically accurate counter-balancing....." Nice to see that marketing talk has changed so little in 70 years!

> > > > >

> > > > > As for the 2 stars, it puzzled me because with irons named after Byron Nelson, the logical thing would be one star for the "lone star state" he was from.

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > > * The SW in my Mac Tourney's R58s has to be one of the worst-designed sand wedges I have ever seen. And the offset on the SW in my reissue VIP irons from the 80s is just ridiculous. The SW in my Muirfields isn't so bad, though.

> > > >

> > > > I know exactly what you are talking about on offset on Mac Sand Wedges. I have a VIP Curtis Strange that he gave me himself ( another story for another day) and it is offset as heck. I have a Nicklaus Muirfield that I picked up off of one of the piles and it has the offset from he double hockey sticks. Now most of my older Penna Sand wedges do not have a lot of offset.

> > >

> > > I'm glad it's not just me, and I am sure you've seen dozens more Mac sand wedges than I have.

> > > The thing I find with offset is that there are some clubs where I don't mind it, and others where I can't stand it. The offset on my reissue Mac VIPs is ridiculous in the PW and SW (and pretty bad in the 9i, to be honest), but I don't mind the offset so much in a new BeCu gap wedge.

> > > Not sure why that is.

> >

> > I can't count how many set wedges I have taking up space in my attic. The worst among them are the Bridgestone Proisme, The Macgregor R58 and the Pro82 (I didn't even need to look at it). The GW and SW in the TN87 is one where I don't mind looking them, but they have an inordinate amount of bounce that relegates them to where they are.

> >

> > I finally picked up a Cleveland RTX4 forged 56 and it's just fun... I've really dialed in my chipping as of late. Got back to practicing with one ball (instead of 4 or 5) and it's not only improved my focus, but I seem to have found a really nice rhythm with pitches. Before one ball I'd use four or five and miss one or two, either scully or fat, just from carelessness. I want to eliminate that word from my golf vocabulary.

> >

> > Thanks for all the ideas about shafts above too. I find it way too interesting.

>

> I don't care much for any of the Japanese set sand wedges from that period. I've one in a Mizuno ANGC set that's alright, and that's about it.

>

> I still haven't bought the RTX4 forged wedges yet. I was pretty much about to take the plunge right before I got my hernia. Think I'll play my MD2s for the rest of the year. Got to say, though, that of all the wedges I hit (and I hit a lot), the RTX4 forged and the Bridgestone XW1s were the best in terms of look, feel, and cost.

> Did you get the raw model?

Now it is a well known fact I have always been a 588 guy and like the old 252 Vokey series too. A while back I was scrounging the piles at work and found a brand new Mizuno T-10 56* stickers on it and plastic on the head. Liked the way it sat so of course for 0.05 I grabbed it. Practiced it some and fell in love with it. Man it is the best feeling wedge I have ever hit. I have been gaming it now for 6 months or so and it is beginning to show wear. Of course I live and play in a sandy salty environment and a 56* wedge is a workhorse for me. And it beats the crap out of me how a brand new wedge ended up on the scrap pile. I do have a back up I found another a few weeks later just like it with a different finish but slightly used

> @"BIG STU" said:

> > > @Christen_The_Sloop said:

> > > > > @"BIG STU" said:

> > > > > > > @deejaid said:

> > > > > > > > > @Kingcat990 said:

> > > > > > > > > What a very strange and awesome cut muscle iron. Beautiful sticks. Let's see them faces

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > Yes, that is a really interesting muscle design. Wonder what the two stars represent?

> > > > > > > > Nice looking clubs, and great pictures, **deejaid**.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > Thanks man. Yeah, I was wondering about the two stars also, although searching eBay those two stars made it easy to spot an exact matching sand wedge also with the two stars. Might need to pick that up.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > From the Macgregor catalog “For the discriminating golfer, the backs of these precision broached blades are specially grooved for a mathematically accurate counter-balancing of weight, providing a compact hitting area- power into the shot, distance into the ball.”

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > A set of 8 (2-9) was $72.00

> > > > > >

> > > > > > I wouldn't normally advise anyone to pick up a Mac sand wedge*, but for those beauties, I'd make an exception. As long as the price was reasonable, of course.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > "Mathematically accurate counter-balancing....." Nice to see that marketing talk has changed so little in 70 years!

> > > > > >

> > > > > > As for the 2 stars, it puzzled me because with irons named after Byron Nelson, the logical thing would be one star for the "lone star state" he was from.

> > > > > >

> > > > > >

> > > > > > * The SW in my Mac Tourney's R58s has to be one of the worst-designed sand wedges I have ever seen. And the offset on the SW in my reissue VIP irons from the 80s is just ridiculous. The SW in my Muirfields isn't so bad, though.

> > > > >

> > > > > I know exactly what you are talking about on offset on Mac Sand Wedges. I have a VIP Curtis Strange that he gave me himself ( another story for another day) and it is offset as heck. I have a Nicklaus Muirfield that I picked up off of one of the piles and it has the offset from he double hockey sticks. Now most of my older Penna Sand wedges do not have a lot of offset.

> > > >

> > > > I'm glad it's not just me, and I am sure you've seen dozens more Mac sand wedges than I have.

> > > > The thing I find with offset is that there are some clubs where I don't mind it, and others where I can't stand it. The offset on my reissue Mac VIPs is ridiculous in the PW and SW (and pretty bad in the 9i, to be honest), but I don't mind the offset so much in a new BeCu gap wedge.

> > > > Not sure why that is.

> > >

> > > I can't count how many set wedges I have taking up space in my attic. The worst among them are the Bridgestone Proisme, The Macgregor R58 and the Pro82 (I didn't even need to look at it). The GW and SW in the TN87 is one where I don't mind looking them, but they have an inordinate amount of bounce that relegates them to where they are.

> > >

> > > I finally picked up a Cleveland RTX4 forged 56 and it's just fun... I've really dialed in my chipping as of late. Got back to practicing with one ball (instead of 4 or 5) and it's not only improved my focus, but I seem to have found a really nice rhythm with pitches. Before one ball I'd use four or five and miss one or two, either scully or fat, just from carelessness. I want to eliminate that word from my golf vocabulary.

> > >

> > > Thanks for all the ideas about shafts above too. I find it way too interesting.

> >

> > I don't care much for any of the Japanese set sand wedges from that period. I've one in a Mizuno ANGC set that's alright, and that's about it.

> >

> > I still haven't bought the RTX4 forged wedges yet. I was pretty much about to take the plunge right before I got my hernia. Think I'll play my MD2s for the rest of the year. Got to say, though, that of all the wedges I hit (and I hit a lot), the RTX4 forged and the Bridgestone XW1s were the best in terms of look, feel, and cost.

> > Did you get the raw model?

> Now it is a well known fact I have always been a 588 guy and like the old 252 Vokey series too. A while back I was scrounging the piles at work and found a brand new Mizuno T-10 56* stickers on it and plastic on the head. Liked the way it sat so of course for 0.05 I grabbed it. Practiced it some and fell in love with it. Man it is the best feeling wedge I have ever hit. I have been gaming it now for 6 months or so and it is beginning to show wear. Of course I live and play in a sandy salty environment and a 56* wedge is a workhorse for me. And it beats the crap out of me how a brand new wedge ended up on the scrap pile. I do have a back up I found another a few weeks later just like it with a different finish but slightly used

>

The Mizuno T-10 and T-11 wedges were great. The T-11s were very similar to the T-10, maybe identical, but had conforming grooves.

I was really talking about Japanese wedges from the 80s and 90s. Some are like frying pans on a shaft, and others are peculiarly square.

Finding a brand new T10 wedge on the scrap heap is pretty great, by the way!

> @"BIG STU" said:

> > > @"BIG STU" said:

> > > > > @deejaid said:

> > > > > > > @Kingcat990 said:

> > > > > > > What a very strange and awesome cut muscle iron. Beautiful sticks. Let's see them faces

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Yes, that is a really interesting muscle design. Wonder what the two stars represent?

> > > > > > Nice looking clubs, and great pictures, **deejaid**.

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > > Thanks man. Yeah, I was wondering about the two stars also, although searching eBay those two stars made it easy to spot an exact matching sand wedge also with the two stars. Might need to pick that up.

> > > > >

> > > > > From the Macgregor catalog “For the discriminating golfer, the backs of these precision broached blades are specially grooved for a mathematically accurate counter-balancing of weight, providing a compact hitting area- power into the shot, distance into the ball.”

> > > > >

> > > > > A set of 8 (2-9) was $72.00

> > > >

> > > > I wouldn't normally advise anyone to pick up a Mac sand wedge*, but for those beauties, I'd make an exception. As long as the price was reasonable, of course.

> > > >

> > > > "Mathematically accurate counter-balancing....." Nice to see that marketing talk has changed so little in 70 years!

> > > >

> > > > As for the 2 stars, it puzzled me because with irons named after Byron Nelson, the logical thing would be one star for the "lone star state" he was from.

> > > >

> > > >

> > > > * The SW in my Mac Tourney's R58s has to be one of the worst-designed sand wedges I have ever seen. And the offset on the SW in my reissue VIP irons from the 80s is just ridiculous. The SW in my Muirfields isn't so bad, though.

> > >

> > > I know exactly what you are talking about on offset on Mac Sand Wedges. I have a VIP Curtis Strange that he gave me himself ( another story for another day) and it is offset as heck. I have a Nicklaus Muirfield that I picked up off of one of the piles and it has the offset from he double hockey sticks. Now most of my older Penna Sand wedges do not have a lot of offset.

> >

> > I'm glad it's not just me, and I am sure you've seen dozens more Mac sand wedges than I have.

> > The thing I find with offset is that there are some clubs where I don't mind it, and others where I can't stand it. The offset on my reissue Mac VIPs is ridiculous in the PW and SW (and pretty bad in the 9i, to be honest), but I don't mind the offset so much in a new BeCu gap wedge.

> > Not sure why that is.

>

> Funny thing about VIP reissues it does depend on what year they were made as to the offset especially the 8 and 9 irons. Both of my sets of VIPs do not have any offset. You also run into another can of worms with Muirfields some. And in this case I am not talking about 20ths either. Some Muirfields are forged and some are cast. Some have rounded toes and some are squared off some. The cast ones seem to have more offset in the short irons. My 2 Tour Forged sets have the exact profile as both sets of VIPs I have. The cast set has a little more offset in the short irons. I would love to sit down with Don White sometime and ask him about all of that. I do not claim to know everything about Macgregor clubs and wish maybe someone with more knowledge will chime in on the above subject

I know what you mean about all the VIP issues. I think mine are from the Eighties and made for the Japanese market, which would certainly explain the offset in the short irons. I didn't know about all the different versions when I bought them, I just knew they were replicas of the originals.

They feel great, really soft, but I don't play them much because of the unappealing short irons.

> > @"BIG STU" said:

> > > > @Christen_The_Sloop said:

> > > > > > @"BIG STU" said:

> > > > > > > > @deejaid said:

> > > > > > > > > @No_Catchy_Nickname said:

> > > > > > > > > > @Kingcat990 said:

> > > > > > > > > > What a very strange and awesome cut muscle iron. Beautiful sticks. Let's see them faces

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > Yes, that is a really interesting muscle design. Wonder what the two stars represent?

> > > > > > > > > Nice looking clubs, and great pictures, **deejaid**.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > Thanks man. Yeah, I was wondering about the two stars also, although searching eBay those two stars made it easy to spot an exact matching sand wedge also with the two stars. Might need to pick that up.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > From the Macgregor catalog “For the discriminating golfer, the backs of these precision broached blades are specially grooved for a mathematically accurate counter-balancing of weight, providing a compact hitting area- power into the shot, distance into the ball.”

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > A set of 8 (2-9) was $72.00

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > I wouldn't normally advise anyone to pick up a Mac sand wedge*, but for those beauties, I'd make an exception. As long as the price was reasonable, of course.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > "Mathematically accurate counter-balancing....." Nice to see that marketing talk has changed so little in 70 years!

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > As for the 2 stars, it puzzled me because with irons named after Byron Nelson, the logical thing would be one star for the "lone star state" he was from.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > * The SW in my Mac Tourney's R58s has to be one of the worst-designed sand wedges I have ever seen. And the offset on the SW in my reissue VIP irons from the 80s is just ridiculous. The SW in my Muirfields isn't so bad, though.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > I know exactly what you are talking about on offset on Mac Sand Wedges. I have a VIP Curtis Strange that he gave me himself ( another story for another day) and it is offset as heck. I have a Nicklaus Muirfield that I picked up off of one of the piles and it has the offset from he double hockey sticks. Now most of my older Penna Sand wedges do not have a lot of offset.

> > > > >

> > > > > I'm glad it's not just me, and I am sure you've seen dozens more Mac sand wedges than I have.

> > > > > The thing I find with offset is that there are some clubs where I don't mind it, and others where I can't stand it. The offset on my reissue Mac VIPs is ridiculous in the PW and SW (and pretty bad in the 9i, to be honest), but I don't mind the offset so much in a new BeCu gap wedge.

> > > > > Not sure why that is.

> > > >

> > > > I can't count how many set wedges I have taking up space in my attic. The worst among them are the Bridgestone Proisme, The Macgregor R58 and the Pro82 (I didn't even need to look at it). The GW and SW in the TN87 is one where I don't mind looking them, but they have an inordinate amount of bounce that relegates them to where they are.

> > > >

> > > > I finally picked up a Cleveland RTX4 forged 56 and it's just fun... I've really dialed in my chipping as of late. Got back to practicing with one ball (instead of 4 or 5) and it's not only improved my focus, but I seem to have found a really nice rhythm with pitches. Before one ball I'd use four or five and miss one or two, either scully or fat, just from carelessness. I want to eliminate that word from my golf vocabulary.

> > > >

> > > > Thanks for all the ideas about shafts above too. I find it way too interesting.

> > >

> > > I don't care much for any of the Japanese set sand wedges from that period. I've one in a Mizuno ANGC set that's alright, and that's about it.

> > >

> > > I still haven't bought the RTX4 forged wedges yet. I was pretty much about to take the plunge right before I got my hernia. Think I'll play my MD2s for the rest of the year. Got to say, though, that of all the wedges I hit (and I hit a lot), the RTX4 forged and the Bridgestone XW1s were the best in terms of look, feel, and cost.

> > > Did you get the raw model?

> > Now it is a well known fact I have always been a 588 guy and like the old 252 Vokey series too. A while back I was scrounging the piles at work and found a brand new Mizuno T-10 56* stickers on it and plastic on the head. Liked the way it sat so of course for 0.05 I grabbed it. Practiced it some and fell in love with it. Man it is the best feeling wedge I have ever hit. I have been gaming it now for 6 months or so and it is beginning to show wear. Of course I live and play in a sandy salty environment and a 56* wedge is a workhorse for me. And it beats the crap out of me how a brand new wedge ended up on the scrap pile. I do have a back up I found another a few weeks later just like it with a different finish but slightly used

> >

>

> The Mizuno T-10 and T-11 wedges were great. The T-11s were very similar to the T-10, maybe identical, but had conforming grooves.

> I was really talking about Japanese wedges from the 80s and 90s. Some are like frying pans on a shaft, and others are peculiarly square.

> Finding a brand new T10 wedge on the scrap heap is pretty great, by the way!

From what I read the T-10 wedges were conforming too not that I care or anyone in the groups I play with care. LOL I also carry another junk pile find a gasp! Ping Zing lob wedge. I can get out of any trap with that thing. The way it spins a ball I can see why it is non conforming. It is not really good off the turf for me unless I hit the chop pop shot with it. It has a sort of unusual sole grind even for a Ping but it sits good to my eye at address. I wish you were not overseas I have a couple of Mizuno Faldo wedges I found but then again you may not like them because the are larged face and offset. Maybe I read it wrong on the T-10 but maybe that explains why it may have been on the junk pile. I know for a while I was finding a lot of older Vokeys and Clevelands at the thrifts and on the pile. Seems maybe a lot of people got a "concience" on the non conforming stuff. Me I do not care because I retired from comp etc. Never had anyone say squat to me. Have had one minor issue and frankly it was not that guy's business. I hate to say it but seems I have gotten the yips again so as of last week I went back to my Ping B-90 broomstick. I putted with it for 2 years but never anchored it. I was practicing it last week and a tourist golfer mentioned that thing was illegal. I told him show me in the rules of golf where the CLUB was illegal. I told him it was illegal to anchor. Besides I told him I made around 20 K putting with that thing for 2 years on various mini tours. That last part shut him up quick. Actually none of the groups I play in give 2 hoots whether you anchor or stick it up my wazoo and putt. I do not have to defend my choice of equipment to him or anyone

> @"BIG STU" said:

> > > @"BIG STU" said:

> > > > > @Christen_The_Sloop said:

> > > > > > > @"BIG STU" said:

> > > > > > > > > @deejaid said:

> > > > > > > > > > @No_Catchy_Nickname said:

> > > > > > > > > > > @Kingcat990 said:

> > > > > > > > > > > What a very strange and awesome cut muscle iron. Beautiful sticks. Let's see them faces

> > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > > Yes, that is a really interesting muscle design. Wonder what the two stars represent?

> > > > > > > > > > Nice looking clubs, and great pictures, **deejaid**.

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > Thanks man. Yeah, I was wondering about the two stars also, although searching eBay those two stars made it easy to spot an exact matching sand wedge also with the two stars. Might need to pick that up.

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > From the Macgregor catalog “For the discriminating golfer, the backs of these precision broached blades are specially grooved for a mathematically accurate counter-balancing of weight, providing a compact hitting area- power into the shot, distance into the ball.”

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > A set of 8 (2-9) was $72.00

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > I wouldn't normally advise anyone to pick up a Mac sand wedge*, but for those beauties, I'd make an exception. As long as the price was reasonable, of course.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > "Mathematically accurate counter-balancing....." Nice to see that marketing talk has changed so little in 70 years!

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > As for the 2 stars, it puzzled me because with irons named after Byron Nelson, the logical thing would be one star for the "lone star state" he was from.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > * The SW in my Mac Tourney's R58s has to be one of the worst-designed sand wedges I have ever seen. And the offset on the SW in my reissue VIP irons from the 80s is just ridiculous. The SW in my Muirfields isn't so bad, though.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > I know exactly what you are talking about on offset on Mac Sand Wedges. I have a VIP Curtis Strange that he gave me himself ( another story for another day) and it is offset as heck. I have a Nicklaus Muirfield that I picked up off of one of the piles and it has the offset from he double hockey sticks. Now most of my older Penna Sand wedges do not have a lot of offset.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > I'm glad it's not just me, and I am sure you've seen dozens more Mac sand wedges than I have.

> > > > > > The thing I find with offset is that there are some clubs where I don't mind it, and others where I can't stand it. The offset on my reissue Mac VIPs is ridiculous in the PW and SW (and pretty bad in the 9i, to be honest), but I don't mind the offset so much in a new BeCu gap wedge.

> > > > > > Not sure why that is.

> > > > >

> > > > > I can't count how many set wedges I have taking up space in my attic. The worst among them are the Bridgestone Proisme, The Macgregor R58 and the Pro82 (I didn't even need to look at it). The GW and SW in the TN87 is one where I don't mind looking them, but they have an inordinate amount of bounce that relegates them to where they are.

> > > > >

> > > > > I finally picked up a Cleveland RTX4 forged 56 and it's just fun... I've really dialed in my chipping as of late. Got back to practicing with one ball (instead of 4 or 5) and it's not only improved my focus, but I seem to have found a really nice rhythm with pitches. Before one ball I'd use four or five and miss one or two, either scully or fat, just from carelessness. I want to eliminate that word from my golf vocabulary.

> > > > >

> > > > > Thanks for all the ideas about shafts above too. I find it way too interesting.

> > > >

> > > > I don't care much for any of the Japanese set sand wedges from that period. I've one in a Mizuno ANGC set that's alright, and that's about it.

> > > >

> > > > I still haven't bought the RTX4 forged wedges yet. I was pretty much about to take the plunge right before I got my hernia. Think I'll play my MD2s for the rest of the year. Got to say, though, that of all the wedges I hit (and I hit a lot), the RTX4 forged and the Bridgestone XW1s were the best in terms of look, feel, and cost.

> > > > Did you get the raw model?

> > > Now it is a well known fact I have always been a 588 guy and like the old 252 Vokey series too. A while back I was scrounging the piles at work and found a brand new Mizuno T-10 56* stickers on it and plastic on the head. Liked the way it sat so of course for 0.05 I grabbed it. Practiced it some and fell in love with it. Man it is the best feeling wedge I have ever hit. I have been gaming it now for 6 months or so and it is beginning to show wear. Of course I live and play in a sandy salty environment and a 56* wedge is a workhorse for me. And it beats the crap out of me how a brand new wedge ended up on the scrap pile. I do have a back up I found another a few weeks later just like it with a different finish but slightly used

> > >

> >

> > The Mizuno T-10 and T-11 wedges were great. The T-11s were very similar to the T-10, maybe identical, but had conforming grooves.

> > I was really talking about Japanese wedges from the 80s and 90s. Some are like frying pans on a shaft, and others are peculiarly square.

> > Finding a brand new T10 wedge on the scrap heap is pretty great, by the way!

>

> From what I read the T-10 wedges were conforming too not that I care or anyone in the groups I play with care. LOL I also carry another junk pile find a gasp! Ping Zing lob wedge. I can get out of any trap with that thing. The way it spins a ball I can see why it is non conforming. It is not really good off the turf for me unless I hit the chop pop shot with it. It has a sort of unusual sole grind even for a Ping but it sits good to my eye at address. I wish you were not overseas I have a couple of Mizuno Faldo wedges I found but then again you may not like them because the are larged face and offset. Maybe I read it wrong on the T-10 but maybe that explains why it may have been on the junk pile. I know for a while I was finding a lot of older Vokeys and Clevelands at the thrifts and on the pile. Seems maybe a lot of people got a "concience" on the non conforming stuff. Me I do not care because I retired from comp etc. Never had anyone say squat to me. Have had one minor issue and frankly it was not that guy's business. I hate to say it but seems I have gotten the yips again so as of last week I went back to my Ping B-90 broomstick. I putted with it for 2 years but never anchored it. I was practicing it last week and a tourist golfer mentioned that thing was illegal. I told him show me in the rules of golf where the CLUB was illegal. I told him it was illegal to anchor. Besides I told him I made around 20 K putting with that thing for 2 years on various mini tours. That last part shut him up quick. Actually none of the groups I play in give 2 hoots whether you anchor or stick it up my wazoo and putt. I do not have to defend my choice of equipment to him or anyone

The T-10 and T-11 difference was something I think I was told in a secondhand golf shop. Playing back in the UK, I borrowed a friend's wedge, which was a T-10, and really liked it. When I was back in Japan I went looking for one in the local golf shop. There were no T-10s, but the guy in the shop pointed out a couple of second hand T-11s and said they were the same wedge just with conforming grooves. I ended up buying them, and I do think they were the same shape and specs as the T-10. I really liked them, except that I found the thin sole of the 58* tough in bunkers, and ended up trading them in for the Callaway MD2s which I still play. Bit stupid of me, because they really are great wedges. Best 54* I have ever played.

As you can probably guess, I don't care about whether a club's conforming or not either. I've got tons of older stuff that may or may not be conforming, and it doesn't keep me awake at night. Funny you mention the Vokey 200 series. I've got a 60* (Vokey 260) and I really like it. It's shape reminds me a little of the T-10//11s.

Those Faldo wedges are another good find. I think you have not a scrap heap there but a treasure mountain.

> @balls_deep said:

> I was lucky enough to find a 7-PW set of 716 MBs near mint for $150 to combo into my set. Very excited to get some blades back in the bag for the short irons. One of my favourite looking blades ever made.

716 series, both Mb and Cb were nice. Actually, I was looking at all the new Titleist the other day and if you put a knife to my throat I could probably play all of them. Titleist, Ping and Mizuno of all the OEMs (and probably Srixon and Bridgestone too, though they are kind of a rung below) always seem to impress. I mean, I looked at the Mizuno Japan release that came out a few days ago here this afternoon and the mbs are sick.They've really outdone themselves. I think that's why I play the classics though - everything is just too perfect. The difference between the Mizuno and Titleist, going off looks, is so minimal... The blade on the Mizuno might be a slightly longer, but I almost can't recall any difference.

> > @"BIG STU" said:

> > > > @"BIG STU" said:

> > > > > > @Christen_The_Sloop said:

> > > > > > > > @"BIG STU" said:

> > > > > > > > > @No_Catchy_Nickname said:

> > > > > > > > > > @deejaid said:

> > > > > > > > > > > @No_Catchy_Nickname said:

> > > > > > > > > > > > @Kingcat990 said:

> > > > > > > > > > > > What a very strange and awesome cut muscle iron. Beautiful sticks. Let's see them faces

> > > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > > > Yes, that is a really interesting muscle design. Wonder what the two stars represent?

> > > > > > > > > > > Nice looking clubs, and great pictures, **deejaid**.

> > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > > Thanks man. Yeah, I was wondering about the two stars also, although searching eBay those two stars made it easy to spot an exact matching sand wedge also with the two stars. Might need to pick that up.

> > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > > From the Macgregor catalog “For the discriminating golfer, the backs of these precision broached blades are specially grooved for a mathematically accurate counter-balancing of weight, providing a compact hitting area- power into the shot, distance into the ball.”

> > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > > A set of 8 (2-9) was $72.00

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > I wouldn't normally advise anyone to pick up a Mac sand wedge*, but for those beauties, I'd make an exception. As long as the price was reasonable, of course.

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > "Mathematically accurate counter-balancing....." Nice to see that marketing talk has changed so little in 70 years!

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > As for the 2 stars, it puzzled me because with irons named after Byron Nelson, the logical thing would be one star for the "lone star state" he was from.

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > * The SW in my Mac Tourney's R58s has to be one of the worst-designed sand wedges I have ever seen. And the offset on the SW in my reissue VIP irons from the 80s is just ridiculous. The SW in my Muirfields isn't so bad, though.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > I know exactly what you are talking about on offset on Mac Sand Wedges. I have a VIP Curtis Strange that he gave me himself ( another story for another day) and it is offset as heck. I have a Nicklaus Muirfield that I picked up off of one of the piles and it has the offset from he double hockey sticks. Now most of my older Penna Sand wedges do not have a lot of offset.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > I'm glad it's not just me, and I am sure you've seen dozens more Mac sand wedges than I have.

> > > > > > > The thing I find with offset is that there are some clubs where I don't mind it, and others where I can't stand it. The offset on my reissue Mac VIPs is ridiculous in the PW and SW (and pretty bad in the 9i, to be honest), but I don't mind the offset so much in a new BeCu gap wedge.

> > > > > > > Not sure why that is.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > I can't count how many set wedges I have taking up space in my attic. The worst among them are the Bridgestone Proisme, The Macgregor R58 and the Pro82 (I didn't even need to look at it). The GW and SW in the TN87 is one where I don't mind looking them, but they have an inordinate amount of bounce that relegates them to where they are.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > I finally picked up a Cleveland RTX4 forged 56 and it's just fun... I've really dialed in my chipping as of late. Got back to practicing with one ball (instead of 4 or 5) and it's not only improved my focus, but I seem to have found a really nice rhythm with pitches. Before one ball I'd use four or five and miss one or two, either scully or fat, just from carelessness. I want to eliminate that word from my golf vocabulary.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Thanks for all the ideas about shafts above too. I find it way too interesting.

> > > > >

> > > > > I don't care much for any of the Japanese set sand wedges from that period. I've one in a Mizuno ANGC set that's alright, and that's about it.

> > > > >

> > > > > I still haven't bought the RTX4 forged wedges yet. I was pretty much about to take the plunge right before I got my hernia. Think I'll play my MD2s for the rest of the year. Got to say, though, that of all the wedges I hit (and I hit a lot), the RTX4 forged and the Bridgestone XW1s were the best in terms of look, feel, and cost.

> > > > > Did you get the raw model?

> > > > Now it is a well known fact I have always been a 588 guy and like the old 252 Vokey series too. A while back I was scrounging the piles at work and found a brand new Mizuno T-10 56* stickers on it and plastic on the head. Liked the way it sat so of course for 0.05 I grabbed it. Practiced it some and fell in love with it. Man it is the best feeling wedge I have ever hit. I have been gaming it now for 6 months or so and it is beginning to show wear. Of course I live and play in a sandy salty environment and a 56* wedge is a workhorse for me. And it beats the crap out of me how a brand new wedge ended up on the scrap pile. I do have a back up I found another a few weeks later just like it with a different finish but slightly used

> > > >

> > >

> > > The Mizuno T-10 and T-11 wedges were great. The T-11s were very similar to the T-10, maybe identical, but had conforming grooves.

> > > I was really talking about Japanese wedges from the 80s and 90s. Some are like frying pans on a shaft, and others are peculiarly square.

> > > Finding a brand new T10 wedge on the scrap heap is pretty great, by the way!

> >

> > From what I read the T-10 wedges were conforming too not that I care or anyone in the groups I play with care. LOL I also carry another junk pile find a gasp! Ping Zing lob wedge. I can get out of any trap with that thing. The way it spins a ball I can see why it is non conforming. It is not really good off the turf for me unless I hit the chop pop shot with it. It has a sort of unusual sole grind even for a Ping but it sits good to my eye at address. I wish you were not overseas I have a couple of Mizuno Faldo wedges I found but then again you may not like them because the are larged face and offset. Maybe I read it wrong on the T-10 but maybe that explains why it may have been on the junk pile. I know for a while I was finding a lot of older Vokeys and Clevelands at the thrifts and on the pile. Seems maybe a lot of people got a "concience" on the non conforming stuff. Me I do not care because I retired from comp etc. Never had anyone say squat to me. Have had one minor issue and frankly it was not that guy's business. I hate to say it but seems I have gotten the yips again so as of last week I went back to my Ping B-90 broomstick. I putted with it for 2 years but never anchored it. I was practicing it last week and a tourist golfer mentioned that thing was illegal. I told him show me in the rules of golf where the CLUB was illegal. I told him it was illegal to anchor. Besides I told him I made around 20 K putting with that thing for 2 years on various mini tours. That last part shut him up quick. Actually none of the groups I play in give 2 hoots whether you anchor or stick it up my wazoo and putt. I do not have to defend my choice of equipment to him or anyone

>

> The T-10 and T-11 difference was something I think I was told in a secondhand golf shop. Playing back in the UK, I borrowed a friend's wedge, which was a T-10, and really liked it. When I was back in Japan I went looking for one in the local golf shop. There were no T-10s, but the guy in the shop pointed out a couple of second hand T-11s and said they were the same wedge just with conforming grooves. I ended up buying them, and I do think they were the same shape and specs as the T-10. I really liked them, except that I found the thin sole of the 58* tough in bunkers, and ended up trading them in for the Callaway MD2s which I still play. Bit stupid of me, because they really are great wedges. Best 54* I have ever played.

> As you can probably guess, I don't care about whether a club's conforming or not either. I've got tons of older stuff that may or may not be conforming, and it doesn't keep me awake at night. Funny you mention the Vokey 200 series. I've got a 60* (Vokey 260) and I really like it. It's shape reminds me a little of the T-10//11s.

>

> Those Faldo wedges are another good find. I think you have not a scrap heap there but a treasure mountain.

It can be treasure mountain but it comes in spurts---- Have not really found anything interesting in the last month sometimes it can be as long as 4 to 6 months

> > @balls_deep said:

> > I was lucky enough to find a 7-PW set of 716 MBs near mint for $150 to combo into my set. Very excited to get some blades back in the bag for the short irons. One of my favourite looking blades ever made.

>

> 716 series, both Mb and Cb were nice. Actually, I was looking at all the new Titleist the other day and if you put a knife to my throat I could probably play all of them. Titleist, Ping and Mizuno of all the OEMs (and probably Srixon and Bridgestone too, though they are kind of a rung below) always seem to impress. I mean, I looked at the Mizuno Japan release that came out a few days ago here this afternoon and the mbs are sick.They've really outdone themselves. I think that's why I play the classics though - everything is just too perfect. The difference between the Mizuno and Titleist, going off looks, is so minimal... The blade on the Mizuno might be a slightly longer, but I almost can't recall any difference.

To be honest I like that Mizuno has an ever-so-slightly longer blade length generally. Looks wise though I directly compared 620 MB to MP20 and I very much preferred the look of 620. That said I have to bend all my titleist flat as they are so upright and therefore look a bit off to me off the shelf. I’m going to game them as is until they’re a bit beat up and then take a scotch bright pad to them. I much prefer satin finish. Chrome bugs me.

>

> Those Faldo wedges are another good find. I think you have not a scrap heap there but a treasure mountain.

Faldo wedges were excellent to me. I don't mind offset in some wedges or even in iron sets. The 99 Apex are on higher end of spectrum in relation to many MB's. It's in the longer irons where offset becomes a distraction.

Well, I broke down and bought an auditor MOI scale. Going to to my Masda blades built to an MOI and see if this theory holds true. If it doesn't work, I'm out the $120 I spent for a set of Modus 105 pulls. I'll keep you guys posted on this.

• Like 1

[b][color=#8b4513]Wyoming[/color] [color=#ffd700]Cowboys[/color][/b]

> > @balls_deep said:

> > I was lucky enough to find a 7-PW set of 716 MBs near mint for $150 to combo into my set. Very excited to get some blades back in the bag for the short irons. One of my favourite looking blades ever made.

>

> 716 series, both Mb and Cb were nice. Actually, I was looking at all the new Titleist the other day and if you put a knife to my throat I could probably play all of them. Titleist, Ping and Mizuno of all the OEMs (and probably Srixon and Bridgestone too, though they are kind of a rung below) always seem to impress. I mean, I looked at the Mizuno Japan release that came out a few days ago here this afternoon and the mbs are sick.They've really outdone themselves. I think that's why I play the classics though - everything is just too perfect. The difference between the Mizuno and Titleist, going off looks, is so minimal... The blade on the Mizuno might be a slightly longer, but I almost can't recall any difference.

Can anybody give an indication of how the 716 MB feel compared to the CB? I was hitting the Apex MB in sim today and that thing is stupidly soft. I know Titleist is generally a firmer feel which I'm fine with but the CB is a touch clicky - particularly in the irons with tungsten. I'm fine with that as it's just a quality of Titleist's forgings. I want the smaller look at address and preferably a bit softer feel in the MB. I tend to shape/flight shots a lot so looking forward to going back to blades in the scoring clubs. Just wondering if I should scrap the whole idea and go for Apex MB.

> @balls_deep said:

> > > @balls_deep said:

> > > I was lucky enough to find a 7-PW set of 716 MBs near mint for $150 to combo into my set. Very excited to get some blades back in the bag for the short irons. One of my favourite looking blades ever made.

> >

> > 716 series, both Mb and Cb were nice. Actually, I was looking at all the new Titleist the other day and if you put a knife to my throat I could probably play all of them. Titleist, Ping and Mizuno of all the OEMs (and probably Srixon and Bridgestone too, though they are kind of a rung below) always seem to impress. I mean, I looked at the Mizuno Japan release that came out a few days ago here this afternoon and the mbs are sick.They've really outdone themselves. I think that's why I play the classics though - everything is just too perfect. The difference between the Mizuno and Titleist, going off looks, is so minimal... The blade on the Mizuno might be a slightly longer, but I almost can't recall any difference.

>

>

> Can anybody give an indication of how the 716 MB feel compared to the CB? I was hitting the Apex MB in sim today and that thing is stupidly soft. I know Titleist is generally a firmer feel which I'm fine with but the CB is a touch clicky - particularly in the irons with tungsten. I'm fine with that as it's just a quality of Titleist's forgings. I want the smaller look at address and preferably a bit softer feel in the MB. I tend to shape/flight shots a lot so looking forward to going back to blades in the scoring clubs. Just wondering if I should scrap the whole idea and go for Apex MB.

The Apex MB is super soft and an excellent blade. I was strongly tempted between that and the MP-18 blades. I ended up going MP-18 as a longtime Mizuno loyalist, but it was a near thing. I would be very happy with Apex blades--I did think both the Apex MB and MP-18 were noticeably softer feeling and slightly more forgiving than the Titleist 718mb. YMMV The CB doesn't feel quite as nice as the Titleist 718mb--I think a bit of shot feedback is lost with the CB for a negligible gain in forgiveness.

Yeah there's a set of Apex MB raw near me but the set is 6-GW. It would be a whole endeavor to to get this set made up. I'd have to find a 4 and 5 x forged or Apex Pro and then figure out the shafts I want etc etc. The 716 MB is so easy and cheap to combo into my current set. The Apex feel is incredible though.

> @deejaid said:

> Just finished these up. 1960 Ben Hogan Power Thrusts. I shared them before but now they are shafted up to an original set of 1960 TT Pro Fit shafts. Someone is going to get a sweet set. I’m tempted to keep these for myself.

>

> pv5ssbo0wqbk.jpeg

>

Stunning (and nicely taken photo as always).

• Like 1

> The T-10 and T-11 difference was something I think I was told in a secondhand golf shop. Playing back in the UK, I borrowed a friend's wedge, which was a T-10, and really liked it. When I was back in Japan I went looking for one in the local golf shop. There were no T-10s, but the guy in the shop pointed out a couple of second hand T-11s and said they were the same wedge just with conforming grooves. I ended up buying them, and I do think they were the same shape and specs as the T-10. I really liked them, except that I found the thin sole of the 58* tough in bunkers, and ended up trading them in for the Callaway MD2s which I still play. Bit stupid of me, because they really are great wedges. Best 54* I have ever played.

> As you can probably guess, I don't care about whether a club's conforming or not either. I've got tons of older stuff that may or may not be conforming, and it doesn't keep me awake at night. Funny you mention the Vokey 200 series. I've got a 60* (Vokey 260) and I really like it. It's shape reminds me a little of the T-10//11s.

>

Still rocking my T-11's, 54° and 58°, the grooves on the 54° are still alright but the 58° is definitely getting tired... interested in the new T20's though, problem is golf stuff is expensive these days :(

Titleist 910D3 9.5°
Taylormade Rocketballz tour 18°

Mizuno MP-H4 2 iron
Callaway ApexMB '18 4 - PW
Vokey SM7 52° + 58°
Ping Scottsdale Halfpipe

I recently put a set of Mizuno JPX900 Tour irons (3-PW) into play. While these are terrific feeling clubs, it seemed that the 3-5 irons were more difficult to hit than my 3-5 irons from my '99 Hogan Apex blades. With the JPX900s I noticed little difference in the mid irons compared to the Apex blades and felt that the short iron shots weren't as solid. Short story, I have put the Apex blades back in my bag. This particular set of blades is about as good as they come and I have full confidence gaming these. There is nothing like a well struck iron shot with true blades.

• Like 1

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / SW: Mizuno T-22, 52° (bent to 50°)/ 56° (bent to 54°), True Temper S400

LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

Putter:  Byron Morgan Epic Day custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips:  BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on

> @RobotDoctor said:

> I recently put a set of Mizuno JPX900 Tour irons (3-PW) into play. While these are terrific feeling clubs, it seemed that the 3-5 irons were more difficult to hit than my 3-5 irons from my '99 Hogan Apex blades. With the JPX900s I noticed little difference in the mid irons compared to the Apex blades and felt that the short iron shots weren't as solid. Short story, I have put the Apex blades back in my bag. This particular set of blades is about as good as they come and I have full confidence gaming these. There is nothing like a well struck iron shot with true blades.

Could be a CG thing. Apex 1999 should be lower and easier to launch. 900T not particularly forgiving. I also thought they lacked that buttery Mizuno feel you get from the MP line of blades.

> @balls_deep said:

> > @RobotDoctor said:

> > I recently put a set of Mizuno JPX900 Tour irons (3-PW) into play. While these are terrific feeling clubs, it seemed that the 3-5 irons were more difficult to hit than my 3-5 irons from my '99 Hogan Apex blades. With the JPX900s I noticed little difference in the mid irons compared to the Apex blades and felt that the short iron shots weren't as solid. Short story, I have put the Apex blades back in my bag. This particular set of blades is about as good as they come and I have full confidence gaming these. There is nothing like a well struck iron shot with true blades.

>

> Could be a CG thing. Apex 1999 should be lower and easier to launch. 900T not particularly forgiving. I also thought they lacked that buttery Mizuno feel you get from the MP line of blades.

99 Apex are not low CG, not obscenely high but not low, middle and inner to heel. The Apex shaft is of the FM variety which was made by Brunswick and is far more enjoyable than the TT iteration.

> @Nard_S said:

> > @balls_deep said:

> > > @RobotDoctor said:

> > > I recently put a set of Mizuno JPX900 Tour irons (3-PW) into play. While these are terrific feeling clubs, it seemed that the 3-5 irons were more difficult to hit than my 3-5 irons from my '99 Hogan Apex blades. With the JPX900s I noticed little difference in the mid irons compared to the Apex blades and felt that the short iron shots weren't as solid. Short story, I have put the Apex blades back in my bag. This particular set of blades is about as good as they come and I have full confidence gaming these. There is nothing like a well struck iron shot with true blades.

> >

> > Could be a CG thing. Apex 1999 should be lower and easier to launch. 900T not particularly forgiving. I also thought they lacked that buttery Mizuno feel you get from the MP line of blades.

>

> 99 Apex are not low CG, not obscenely high but not low, middle and inner to heel. The Apex shaft is of the FM variety which was made by Brunswick and is far more enjoyable than the TT iteration.

The 99 apex is not in the MPF ratings - only the plus version. The following version was .783 which is quite low and I imagine it is similar.

I had Apex 4 shafts in my first set of '99 Apex blades when they first came out. Count me in the few that never cared for the Apex shaft. I changed to TT S300s back then and loved the irons. I sold them when I went to the Mizuno MP32s. I picked up a set of '99 Apex blades back in 2012 or 2013 and shafted them with TT S300s and they returned to my bag as my everyday gamers. I reshafted them 3 or 4 years ago with Nippon Modus Tour 120 stiff shafts and really love the feel and performance. I have tried a couple of sets that should have had a bit more forgiveness (716 AP2s and JPX990 Tours) but these didn't provide any forgiveness and sacrificed the feel from the short irons.

Also, one aspect of blades is that the golf swing has to be decent and not sloppy. I have to hone my swing to play well.

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / SW: Mizuno T-22, 52° (bent to 50°)/ 56° (bent to 54°), True Temper S400

LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

Putter:  Byron Morgan Epic Day custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips:  BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on

> @balls_deep said:

> > @Nard_S said:

> > > @balls_deep said:

> > > > @RobotDoctor said:

> > > > I recently put a set of Mizuno JPX900 Tour irons (3-PW) into play. While these are terrific feeling clubs, it seemed that the 3-5 irons were more difficult to hit than my 3-5 irons from my '99 Hogan Apex blades. With the JPX900s I noticed little difference in the mid irons compared to the Apex blades and felt that the short iron shots weren't as solid. Short story, I have put the Apex blades back in my bag. This particular set of blades is about as good as they come and I have full confidence gaming these. There is nothing like a well struck iron shot with true blades.

> > >

> > > Could be a CG thing. Apex 1999 should be lower and easier to launch. 900T not particularly forgiving. I also thought they lacked that buttery Mizuno feel you get from the MP line of blades.

> >

> > 99 Apex are not low CG, not obscenely high but not low, middle and inner to heel. The Apex shaft is of the FM variety which was made by Brunswick and is far more enjoyable than the TT iteration.

>

> The 99 apex is not in the MPF ratings - only the plus version. The following version was .783 which is quite low and I imagine it is similar.

The "following version" with the .783 CG you mention are indeed the 99 Apex.

I wouldn't call a .783 CG low, FWIW. {shrug}

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

> @balls_deep said:

> > @Nard_S said:

> > > @balls_deep said:

> > > > @RobotDoctor said:

> > > > I recently put a set of Mizuno JPX900 Tour irons (3-PW) into play. While these are terrific feeling clubs, it seemed that the 3-5 irons were more difficult to hit than my 3-5 irons from my '99 Hogan Apex blades. With the JPX900s I noticed little difference in the mid irons compared to the Apex blades and felt that the short iron shots weren't as solid. Short story, I have put the Apex blades back in my bag. This particular set of blades is about as good as they come and I have full confidence gaming these. There is nothing like a well struck iron shot with true blades.

> > >

> > > Could be a CG thing. Apex 1999 should be lower and easier to launch. 900T not particularly forgiving. I also thought they lacked that buttery Mizuno feel you get from the MP line of blades.

> >

> > 99 Apex are not low CG, not obscenely high but not low, middle and inner to heel. The Apex shaft is of the FM variety which was made by Brunswick and is far more enjoyable than the TT iteration.

>

> The 99 apex is not in the MPF ratings - only the plus version. The following version was .783 which is quite low and I imagine it is similar.

The 99 Apex is in the MPF, they call it the 2001. It was made between 99 and 2003.

> @"Joe S" said:

> > @balls_deep said:

> > > @Nard_S said:

> > > > @balls_deep said:

> > > > > @RobotDoctor said:

> > > > > I recently put a set of Mizuno JPX900 Tour irons (3-PW) into play. While these are terrific feeling clubs, it seemed that the 3-5 irons were more difficult to hit than my 3-5 irons from my '99 Hogan Apex blades. With the JPX900s I noticed little difference in the mid irons compared to the Apex blades and felt that the short iron shots weren't as solid. Short story, I have put the Apex blades back in my bag. This particular set of blades is about as good as they come and I have full confidence gaming these. There is nothing like a well struck iron shot with true blades.

> > > >

> > > > Could be a CG thing. Apex 1999 should be lower and easier to launch. 900T not particularly forgiving. I also thought they lacked that buttery Mizuno feel you get from the MP line of blades.

> > >

> > > 99 Apex are not low CG, not obscenely high but not low, middle and inner to heel. The Apex shaft is of the FM variety which was made by Brunswick and is far more enjoyable than the TT iteration.

> >

> > The 99 apex is not in the MPF ratings - only the plus version. The following version was .783 which is quite low and I imagine it is similar.

>

> The 99 Apex is in the MPF, they call it the 2001. It was made between 99 and 2003.

Right on. So indeed lower CG than 900t

In 2001, Top-Flite went to Callaway, it's a different head and muscle design, they got rid of muscle on muscle part. '99-2K are not low CG heads, they have thin sole & linear muscle. They flight easy due to tip of FM's which is softer than TT. They are not fat bottomed girls like the MP 33 or Redlines or FG 59 or Mac V-Foils. They can launch stinging knockdowns or high draws/fades. Great irons.

> @Nard_S said:

> In 2001, Top-Flite went to Callaway, it's a different head and muscle design, they got rid of muscle on muscle part. '99-2K are not low CG heads, they have thin sole & linear muscle. They flight easy due to tip of FM's which is softer than TT. They are not fat bottomed girls like the MP 33 or Redlines or FG 59 or Mac V-Foils. They can launch stinging knockdowns or high draws/fades. Great irons.

Callaway bought Ben Hogan in late 2003 and started selling their Hogans in 2004. The 1999 Apex and the 2003, the one people call the clam shell, were both designed and sold while the company was owned by Spalding. The only Hogan Apex iron designed while under Callaway ownership is the 2006, the one that looks like a remake of the 1973 Apex.

The Redline looks like it has a wide "flange" sole, but it's very narrow as well. The way the weight is distributed on the back of the club makes the appear wide by comparison. It's sole is comparable to the 99.