Blade users thread (NO DEBATING CLUBHEADS! NO Buy Sell Trade!)

Bigmean

NRJ, I somewhat in same mode. But looking to revamp metals completely and get fitted in 1W-5W modern and just augment options on irons. Starting to sort out projects and loose heads get first call. So ironically 962B's may get first build. They are pure blade in profile and weight despite cast CB underpinnings. Will then do SPB in both Mac-Cobra's and Maruman's to compare to DG sets of both. After that, CX-41 heads get "winner". Basic stuff to cut teeth on before I molest perfectly decent sets. Shafts may not end up big wild card, been reading up on options but keep coming back to S400 TI as first choice. DG's & Rifle's are the devils I know, SPB may come up blackjack, who knows. In my book, great sticks are sticks you never blame, fail to see how a combo fixes issues of swing, they only present the best canvas to paint on.

Put McHenry Metals Tour Pure #5W to work recently. Can say, as a small compact Ti head, thing works great.

Great shot, even if it wasn't your first attempt!

That is how I always imagined it would happen to me, too -- hole one after hitting one in the drink or when playing by myself,, but I was glad I got a legit one with you guys last year! I nearly had a similar situation to yours recently. The weather here in Michigan took a turn toward winter earlier than usual this year, and the few times I was able to play in October and November, it was both cold and very windy. I was playing with my dad on a course where the 17th hole is an exact replica of the 17th at TPC Sawgrass, which was playing with a right to left crosswind. We'd been getting pretty beaten up by the conditions by that point, and we both hit tee shots on the hole, and ended up in the water -- mine was an 8-iron that I tried to knock down and take something off of it, and I pulled it a little and it landed on the green and bounced over. We both agreed that we should hit another one for the hell of it, so I grabbed my 9 iron this time, and just swung normally. This one went on a much better line, flew right over the flag, and backed up down the hill and ended up an inch away. It was almost a great par...

• Like 2

Ping G430 LST 9* (set to 7.5*), 45", Fujikura Ventus TR Black 6x
Ping G430 LST 14.5* (set to 13*) Fujikura Ventus Black 7x
Ping G430 Max 18* (set to 17*) Fujikura Ventus Black 8x or Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9x
Epon AF-306 4i + Epon AF-Tour CB2 5-PW, Nippon Modus 125X
Yururi Seida Black 52*, Nippon Modus 125/Titleist Vokey SM8 58* K-Grind & 62* M-Grind DG S200
Byron Morgan long pipe neck B-17, Brushed Mystic finish, 34" or Byron Morgan long pipe neck beached 007x

Looks good that is the old school way of doing it. Most of the old guys in my area were woodworkers and had the equipment to turn down their own dowels. Sometimes when shafting one of my finds I get to heating and it smells like Hickory BBQ cooking

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W-- Callaway RAZR-- Speeder 565 R Flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

Regarding my comment a few weeks ago on the whole going from Blades - to Cavity, because I thought it would help - to thinking of Blades all the time and missed them, and what should I play and what not etc.

I wanted to find a classic, and I found a perfect set on the bay with the perfect specs. +0.5 length and $-taper 120 shafts.

Had to try a Mizzy blade sometime, and found these MP32 in perfect condition. Can't wait to go to the Sim Golf place next week as it's winter here.

DN66KYQUQRC9.jpg

• Like 1

Ha!If Rory thinks these are butterknives, I am thinking we all need a set, go play somewhere with a lot of forced carries over water to greens. Show him how to feather the ball in close.

Titlest Tsi2, 10*, GD ADDI 5
Titleist TSi2 16.5 GD ADDI 5

Callaway X-hot pro 3, 4 h
TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

Have used Blades/MB's on and off my whole playing days mostly as a single digit Hcp Amateur Golfer.

Enjoyed my Golf and Ball striking the most with sets of Blades. The feeling when when your having a day on can't be beaten.

Started as a junior in the late 70's with a mixed bag of very old clubs dad bought at an auction. Even had a few Hickories in that I wish I had kept now.

When it was apparent I would stick with the game a half cut down set was bought and few years later my first full set was PGF Slammers (not Blades)

Got down to low teens hcp with them then dad busted his knee playing Indoor Cricket. This was where I had my first his with a set of blades as he was gaming Prosimmon Hallmarks (big club brand in Australia in the 70-90's). Using these while he was out of action for 6 months using them much better than he could getting my hcp down to 8 before I had to return to my own Slammers again. It wasn't long after that that I was pushing to get my own set of Blade. I really liked the look of the Cobra Tour Model II's that a few of the low markers in the club had so we were on the look out for a set of those.

Unfortunately these were no longer available new so the replacement model Cobra TLC Grid was ordered. A much thinner blade than the Tour Model II. Looked great with the Satin Finish but I couldn't hit them consistently like dads Hallmarks. Getting Hallmarks of my own wasn't an option either as these were not available new anymore either. After 2 years of struggling to try and love the TLC Grinds a set of second hand Tour Model II's came up. I couldn't get to the the only Pro Shop in our area quick enough to get them. Used them for about 3-4 years before trading them in on a new set of Golden Ram either Tour Grinds or Tom Watson Grinds I can't remember which.

After those I strayed away from blades a bit with Tommy Armor 845. Callaway S2H2 (not sure if these are blade or CB Tbh), Callaway Big Bertha II, Callaway X12, Orlimar 302, Ping i3 Blade, Titleist 990, Taylor Made MC, Titleist 712 AP1.

I've had 2 lay off's from the game in that time as well. First one for 8 years and most recent recent one for 2 years. I mostly game my Titleist 710MB or Cobra Amp Cell Pro.

In the last 5 years I've slowly been on the hunt collecting and gaming old 1980-1990's blades.

Blades/MB's I currently have in the collection:

Cobra Phil Rodgers

Cobra Mild Steel

Cobra Tour Model II

Cobra AMP Cell Pro

Titleist Tour Model

Titleist 690MB

Titleist 710MB

Maxfli DP-30 Pro Model

Would like to get my hands on a set(s) of Hogans and Mizuno at some stage.

• Like 1

Another huzzah for the DP-30s. Really incredible. Why didn't I develop a Maxfli habit, back in the day? I was thinking something more than a 48* PW would be needed to flesh out the set, though; I would expect the DP-30 would have a 49* or 50* PW normally.

Lofts in that 1990 timeframe are hard to pin down. Some sets were still the 50* or even 51* PW (the Palmer Original Standards were this), some had moved to 49*, and Mizuno was (oddly) leading the way at 48*.

Additional note... Ironfinder.com has a DP-30 PW in their single iron Maxfli inventory. It's got some sweet spot wear, however.

The thing that I find most interesting in Rickie's Cobra Proto set is that they are milled stainless steel. I'm curious what grade of stainless they're using, if it's one of the more common varieties seen in softer cast clubs, or if they're getting a bit more exotic? It's really just idle curiosity. The lack of offset reminds me of the 986 Tours, though I think those had even less than Rickie's new sticks.

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

When the Nikes came out, they were considered rather old school in loft. And many assumed it was related to Mr Woods and his preferred lofts.

Loft creep has been around a rather long time. With hickory sets and flatback/slightly flanged irons, you'd have a 1i at 20*, a 9i at 52* and once Gene Sarazen did his thing, a sand iron somewhere from 55* to 60*, depending on who and where.

By the 50s, we had 17* or 18* 1 irons, the 2i was 21*, and pitching irons had been introduced at 53*. In the 60s, we saw 17/20/32/52 for 1i/2i/5i/PW. The Wilson Staff 78 Tour Blades (and likely others, also) saw that bumped that forward to the 20/30/50 for 2i/5i/PW that so many remember.

When it comes to blades, Mizuno appears to have been the first to jump to the 48* PW, somewhere in the 80s. A lot of folks like to blame Ping, but the Eye2 had a 50* PW, it wasn't until the Eye2+ that the 48.5* PW showed up for them, by which time Mizuno had several sets there, the Tommy Armour 845s were in play, and so on.

The super loft creep that we have now was really jump started by the King Cobra irons, the set with the 43* PW. "Look how far I hit my 7 iron now!"

Loft creep is seductive, and people will go to great lengths to justify delofting their clubs, even those that are otherwise educated about equipment. Loft is what really determines distance, not some number that someone has stamped on the bottom of the club. Getting all soapboxy now LOL

Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

So after a bit of an absence from the game due to most of the local area being underwater, I decided to pop to the range this evening, and also stop into American Golf to see if I could pick up a decent Driving Iron. I thought I would be sensible and go for something with a little help, like a U500 or equivalent. I tried a few options and have ended up ordering....

An Mp20 MB 3 Iron. Oops ?

• Like 2

The Dee Three - Titleist TS4 9.5 deg, EvenFlow White 6.5 65g, A1 Setting

Henrik - Titleist 917 F3 15 deg, Rogue Max 75x, B2 Setting

The Walking Stick - Titleist 818 H2 19 deg, Rogue Max 85x, B2 Setting

The Interloper - TaylorMade P770 3 iron, S400 Tour Issue, +0.5inch +1 deg loft

The Blades - Nike VR Pro 4 - AW, S400 Tour Issue, +0.5 inch

The Sand Iron - TaylorMade MG2 TW-12 Grind, 56 degree, S400 Tour Issue

The Flopper - TaylorMade MG2 TW-11 Grind, 60 Degree, S400 Tour Issue

The Putter - Nike Method 003 from The Oven

"Golf is only called golf as all the other four letter words have been taken"     - Leslie Nielsen

You're right about loft creep being around a long time, now you mention it. I tend to think of a standard PW at 50*, but that would be pretty strong by the standards of the the Fifties and Sixties. I'd forgotten that.

I wasn't aware Mizuno started the loft strengthening trend, but I do remember a lad who got a set of TP-9s or perhaps TP-19s, and saying something about them having stronger lofts, or, as he put it, "they hit the ball further." Something like that.

I do like a 50* PW. Means I can either go with one more wedge (a 56* usually), or a 54* and 58/60*, and have more flexibility at the top of the bag.

• Like 1

Must admit I'm thinking of getting the PW from my VR Pros knocked a degree weak to 48 degrees, then I can drop a wedge (probably the 50) and will have space for the new random blade I've bought.

Was an interesting fitting experience considering nowhere had a 3 iron, or any sort of S400 to try. I ended up with a few 7 irons with s300s to compare against my 7 iron, then decided to buy a 3 iron in the model that felt closest to what I had. After discounting the usual suspects (HMB - too tinny, T100 - nice but couldn't keep the ball flight down) I ended up making a decision between the MP 20 and the 620 MB. Gotta say, there was nothing in it - performance from both heads was identical, feel wasn't too different either. The Mp20 basically won as I've bought a few Titleist clubs recently and fancied a change.

So have ordered a 3 iron with an S400 Tour Issue, 1/2 inch long, standard loft and lie. Should be here around Xmas, cannae wait. Only stinger was the price, £180 a club. Pretty much the going rate these days, but my VR Pros were £220 for all 8! ?

• Like 1

The Dee Three - Titleist TS4 9.5 deg, EvenFlow White 6.5 65g, A1 Setting

Henrik - Titleist 917 F3 15 deg, Rogue Max 75x, B2 Setting

The Walking Stick - Titleist 818 H2 19 deg, Rogue Max 85x, B2 Setting

The Interloper - TaylorMade P770 3 iron, S400 Tour Issue, +0.5inch +1 deg loft

The Blades - Nike VR Pro 4 - AW, S400 Tour Issue, +0.5 inch

The Sand Iron - TaylorMade MG2 TW-12 Grind, 56 degree, S400 Tour Issue

The Flopper - TaylorMade MG2 TW-11 Grind, 60 Degree, S400 Tour Issue

The Putter - Nike Method 003 from The Oven

"Golf is only called golf as all the other four letter words have been taken"     - Leslie Nielsen

I'm one of those who's decidedly not a fan of the four wedge bag, or now five or six wedge bag, thanks to modern lofts. My 47* PW sets find me going 52/58. My 52* PW set has me using a 56* or 58* as the lone other wedge. And so on.

Been giving more thought to going more old school next season, going back to 1-pw (or 2-gw) and playing the old school woods. Started having more and more trouble hitting the hybrid I've carried in that loft slot, and havent had much trouble with the 17* irons I've got. Also doesn't help that I'm hitting the big drivers in such a junky manner, then hitting the older stuff that much better. It's like a glaring neon sign, LOL.

A 48* degree PW is good for a 3-wedge setup. you can go 52-56 or 52-58 without having to compromise anything, and it frees up space for driving iron, or random MP20 3i.....

My Wilson FG-62s have a 47* PW, and I can just about get away with going 47-52-58, but with a 46* PW, I tend to find the gap gets harder to close between the PW and the 52*. It does depend a little on which PW I have, though. I love hitting the old school woods. I've played more this year with persimmon than I have modern. Perhaps surprisingly, I hit the persimmon fairways better than the modern ones, with the exception of the V-steel 7w. It's the smaller heads that I like.

With a 46* PW, I would probably go with a 50-55-60 setup. Or, 50-58, which is not unlike what I do sometimes with my 50* PW sets.

The 50-55-60 is influenced, of course, by the Tom Watson wedges.

With a 46* PW, I go with a 50* wedge, then 54* and 58 or 60, and sometimes, 56* and 60*.

I suppose I could use a 3-wedge set up by going PW, then 50* and 56* . The problem is, ever since I got rid of a 50* Cobra Trusty Rusty, I've not found a 50* that I like. Also, it still leaves an odd gap, as My PW is 140 (OK, was 140 before my back problems...), and the 54* is 115y (OK, was 115 before my back problems...). Now if my stock 50* came in at 130, I'd be alright, but never quite did.

Maybe I was expecting too much from it. Anyway, my yardages are all messed up now anyway because of injury.

They first caught my eye with those S3 pro MB's... Then I just sorta stopped paying attention, foolish of me! Definitely worth looking into the newer models now considering they have some nice tech wrapped up in a aesthetically pleasing design.

The Proto's are indeed holding up after all these years! They actually performed quite nicely on Saturday, if the putter would just shine up that would be great... Fair enough on the rugby, take all the time you need to process it, you have about 3.5 years to play with

Titleist 910D3 9.5°
Taylormade Rocketballz tour 18°

Mizuno MP-H4 2 iron
Callaway ApexMB '18 4 - PW
Vokey SM7 52° + 58°
Ping Scottsdale Halfpipe

Had a good session at the range today, hitting my MP14s. Something really clicked and I found my old swing, which was nice. More power and speed, and no strain on the back. I noticed a while ago (pre-injury) that I was finishing each swing with most of weight on the toes of left foot, but couldn't figure out why. After some trial-and-error, I noticed that I was bringing my weight over to my left side in the backswing in an effort to get the club at a higher position; sort of stack-and-tilt done badly. Very badly. Anyway, that forced me to throw my hips in the downswing, and I think that's what brought about my injury. Hitting with my old swing today, I felt no pain, and was hitting my old distances again.

I'm really liking the MP14s. With the old lofts, even the longer irons are easy enough to hit. I was managing the 2i quite nicely off the tee, but didn't feel up to trying it off the mat. I expect I'd just end up with knuckleballs. Which brings me onto something interesting I found out today.

I went to a Golf 5 store today to try out the MP20s (or MS120s as they are here) in the hitting bays where they have a launch monitor. Now, I'm not sure what make it is, but that's not so important here.

I tried the MP20 MB and Semi-Cavity 7i with a DGS200 and DGS120 shafts. With both heads, I was getting less than 5,000 rpm on the ball, and most were under 4,500. This was on well-hit shots. I was hitting these special balls for the launch monitor, so I asked if I could hit a normal ball. The guy gave me a Taylormade TP5X (think it was an X), and I got 6,000rpm with that.

How the heck can anyone get fit properly using balls that spin about 25% less than a proper ball. Plus, mats are supposed to produce less spin anyway.

• Like 2