Blade users thread (NO DEBATING CLUBHEADS! NO Buy Sell Trade!)

Bigmean

4 minutes ago, No_Catchy_Nickname said:

Well, in my case I started with cast heel-toe weighted irons (Daiwa Tri-tech, or something like that), which were game-improvement back in the day. We wore an onion on our belts then too because it was the fashion, but that's a story for another day.

After I got down to single figures I decided to get something else, and that's when I went to blades. To be honest, there weren't tons of options back then. Ping EYE2s were probably the leading game improvement iron,  but they were really expensive in Britain, and I wasn't a fan of the offset. There were lots of EYE2 copies, but again, I wasn't a fan of the offset. 

I guess I've always liked a fairly thin top line, compact head, and not a lot of offset. 

Some things never change.

But I don't wear an onion on my belt anymore. 

I just disregarded everything you said except for the onion on the belt. Past fashion trends tend to come around again, so let's see it!

Sounds like you just gravitated towards it after some time and just went with it. 

• Like 1

TSR3 9* w/ Ventus Blue 6S

Stealth+ 15* w/ Ventus Blue 7S

TSR3 18* w/ Tour AD UB 8S

23' T200 4-6 w/ AMT White S300 Onyx

23' T150 7-PW w/ AMT White S300 Onyx

RTX 6 ZipCore 52, 56, 60 w/ DG Spinner

Mezz.1 Max

ProV1

Please don't tempt me with your WTS/WTT posts...

25 minutes ago, stevechooster said:

I just disregarded everything you said except for the onion on the belt. Past fashion trends tend to come around again, so let's see it!

Sounds like you just gravitated towards it after some time and just went with it. 

The onion on the belt has long since gone. 

It was delicious.

But yes, sort of gravitated towards blades. There weren't the choices back then as there are now. 

There was definitely an aesthetic look I was after. Many of the GI irons were on the ugly side. The Titleist 962 irons, CB Mac VIP Tours, and similar cavity back irons all came out a bit later, IIRC. I'd wouldn't have minded playing those, although I would not have been able to afford them new.

Mizuno blades were all the rage among the young, onion-wearing Players at the time, especially TP-9s and TP-11s. But again, they weren't cheap.

From the end of the Eighties to the early Nineties (I pretty much gave up golf for about 15 years in 1993 or 94), I played an old set of original Titleist Tour Model blades. When I got back into golf about 10 years ago, that was the sort of iron I wanted to play again.

I've dabbled with player's cavities, such as MP-64s, but don't find them to be any more forgiving than a blade. That probably reveals more about just how bad my bad shots are rather than any flaws in the club design, but it is what it is.

That said, unless I'm playing "classic golf" (persimmons and blades), I don't bag a blade 4i anymore. 4i~5i is about where I really notice a difference in results between mishit blades and mishit GI irons.

Jeez, this was a long way of saying I don't wear an onion anymore.

Edited by No_Catchy_Nickname
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

53 minutes ago, stevechooster said:

Curious how you guys decided to transition to blades?

Learned on borrowed Wilson MB's, didn't know what I was doing but I loved the occasional nutted shot. 1st purchased set were Ping Eye II's, played CB's of cast & forged for a long time. Decades pass but after losing an iron went full time on MB's. Been 6 years, don't care to go back, don't even know what I'm missing, lol. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, No_Catchy_Nickname said:

The onion on the belt has long since gone. 

It was delicious.

But yes, sort of gravitated towards blades. There weren't the choices back then as there are now. 

There was definitely an aesthetic look I was after. Many of the GI irons were on the ugly side. The Titleist 962 irons, CB Mac VIP Tours, and similar cavity back irons all came out a bit later, IIRC. I'd wouldn't have minded playing those, although I would not have been able to afford them new.

Mizuno blades were all the rage among the young, onion-wearing Players at the time, especially TP-9s and TP-11s. But again, they weren't cheap.

From the end of the Eighties to the early Nineties (I pretty much gave up golf for about 15 years in 1993 or 94), I played an old set of original Titleist Tour Model blades. When I got back into golf about 10 years ago, that was the sort of iron I wanted to play again.

I've dabbled with player's cavities, such as MP-64s, but don't find them to be any more forgiving than a blade. That probably reveals more about just how bad my bad shots are rather than any flaws in the club design, but it is what it is.

That said, unless I'm playing "classic golf" (persimmons and blades), I don't bag a blade 4i anymore. 4i~5i is about where I really notice a difference in results between mishit blades and mishit GI irons.

Jeez, this was a long way of saying I don't wear an onion anymore.

I have read around about the unnoticeable difference between CB/MB. Seems like for certain brands, they're practically the same. 

Mezz.1 Max

ProV1

1 hour ago, stevechooster said:

So I hope I'm in the right thread (or would appreciate it if someone can point me to the right one if this isn't it). 

Curious how you guys decided to transition to blades? Just picked it up one day and went from there? Got to a certain handicap? I have P790s and I've also hit some blades (Cobra Forged CB/MB, Titleist 620) at a local shop recently just to try. I obviously understand that it's a less forgiving club/design, but that's what I'm more interested in... learning, getting feedback, and being a student of the game. I'm only a few months into golf, several lessons in (I shoot 90s), but I absolutely love the sport and would really appreciate it if some fellow Golf WRX members can share your own experience on how you ended up with blades.

It also doesn't help that something like a Titleist 620 is just absolutely gorgeous lol.  

I switched to blades when I was I HS and could break 80 consistently. I remember I was gaming Ping ISI ‘s when my friends father let me hit his new Ben Hogan Apex blades. I think the 99 model because this was in 2000.  So intimidating after playing Pings. But I loved the feel and started asking around. Found a set of Mizuno MP29’s for only $400.  Blades make you a better ball striker no doubt now looking back 

Edited by NixLix26
  • Like 4

Taylormade M4 tour 8.5*   Attas 4U 6X

Srixon Z H45  16*

Callaway Apex MB raw 4-PW  

Cleveland 588    52,60

Scotty Newport the art of putting

-----------------------------------------

So I hope I'm in the right thread (or would appreciate it if someone can point me to the right one if this isn't it). 

Curious how you guys decided to transition to blades? Just picked it up one day and went from there? Got to a certain handicap? I have P790s and I've also hit some blades (Cobra Forged CB/MB, Titleist 620) at a local shop recently just to try. I obviously understand that it's a less forgiving club/design, but that's what I'm more interested in... learning, getting feedback, and being a student of the game. I'm only a few months into golf, several lessons in (I shoot 90s), but I absolutely love the sport and would really appreciate it if some fellow Golf WRX members can share your own experience on how you ended up with blades.

It also doesn't help that something like a Titleist 620 is just absolutely gorgeous lol.  

I thought about typing, but decided instead to point you at my first post in this thread, back on page 2.  Guess I'm lazy right now, LOL.  Pasting the link here....

Edited by NRJyzr
  • Haha 1

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

I'm HS class of '91, when I made my HS team I got a stock set of Tommy Armour 845s and that was my first set at adult length. I hated them lol and our local pro was a TM staffer, so I started picking the range and washing carts to earn enough for a set of TDs and unlimited range balls. By the middle of my sophomore year I had a 1-P, Burner Plus, Tour Spoon, 16 & 19 Raylors and a brand new green Ping stand bag (thank you Chris, I'm still sorry about driving the #12 cart into the beam that day 😱, you are the GOAT). Everything had S300s and by my senior year I was ready for X100s so I traded the TDs and some oddballs for a new set of box toe Ram TW 282s Tour Grinds. Never went back from there, always straight blades. 

Nowadays I'd play a players CB if it's my grind in the 5 or maybe the 6 but that's it. It's really more about the material, grind and hotel transition than anything. If you're into player's irons it's been engineered really well by now whether it's a MB, CB or one of the hybrid designs. Back then I thought the Mizuno T-Zoid True was better than the MP-14 & 29 put together and that was one of the first mod hybrid heads.

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, NRJyzr said:

I thought about typing, but decided instead to point you at my first post in this thread, back on page 2.  Guess I'm lazy right now, LOL.  Pasting the link here....

Haha! I enjoyed reading your post. It's a very classic story that i can see myself living through in the next few years, that's for sure.

• Like 1

Mezz.1 Max

ProV1

1 hour ago, No_Catchy_Nickname said:

Back in the UK, I have a set of Titleist 710 CBs. The main difference between them and my Tour Model blades is leading edge and bounce. OK, that's two differences. Dammit.

Also the 710s have stiffer shafts, which helps keep the ball down in the wind. Right. Three differences.

I also didn't see any difference between the MP-64s and MP4s, expect the MP64s seem to have a shade more offset. And the VIP Tours (CBs) were certainly no easier to hit than my Mac Muirfield 20th blade irons.1515883834_MACVIPToursbacks.JPG.d6d835498f81ff241eddd1864db9ad90.JPG

1697056466_MacMuirfield20thsbacks.jpg.c2dcf760e041df26e89bb1b0d0208ad3.jpg

Your Muirfields... lord have mercy. So gorgeous. 

Mezz.1 Max

ProV1

Just now, NRJyzr said:

So!
Much!
Awesome!

A couple pics of my own set

image.png.7ed15e45e14ca2fa6a291d817c08ac77.pngimage.png.f875fb38179698b672154b86d8f541f8.png 

And my recently acquired TW276 1 iron

image.png.dba6fd3d516d8327e02d1c5054b0918a.png

DUDE!! I swear to God I've been looking for a mint set of 276 FOR EVER, that's what I wanted but could only get the box toes. It's the only thing from back in the day that I still want. Play those with pride sir, that's the JOINT. 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, CokeZero said:

I'm HS class of '91, when I made my HS team I got a stock set of Tommy Armour 845s and that was my first set at adult length. I hated them lol and our local pro was a TM staffer, so I started picking the range and washing carts to earn enough for a set of TDs and unlimited range balls. By the middle of my sophomore year I had a 1-P, Burner Plus, Tour Spoon, 16 & 19 Raylors and a brand new green Ping stand bag (thank you Chris, I'm still sorry about driving the #12 cart into the beam that day 😱, you are the GOAT). Everything had S300s and by my senior year I was ready for X100s so I traded the TDs and some oddballs for a new set of box toe Ram TW 282s Tour Grinds. Never went back from there, always straight blades. 

Nowadays I'd play a players CB if it's my grind in the 5 or maybe the 6 but that's it. It's really more about the material, grind and hotel transition than anything. If you're into player's irons it's been engineered really well by now whether it's a MB, CB or one of the hybrid designs. Back then I thought the Mizuno T-Zoid True was better than the MP-14 & 29 put together and that was one of the first mod hybrid heads.

Envious of you (and so many others) that had the chance to play the sport at a young age and just transitioned into it as you developed as a golfer. I grew up playing soccer all my life so I look back and realize how important it is to get exposed to anything/everything at young ages. I'm definitely attracted to the looks/designs of the blades, even though my score might tell me to pick up something that can provide more forgiveness (and stronger loft). I think my mind is definitely more interested in picking up blades and just going along for the ride. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Mezz.1 Max

ProV1

7 minutes ago, NRJyzr said:

So!
Much!
Awesome!

A couple pics of my own set

image.png.7ed15e45e14ca2fa6a291d817c08ac77.pngimage.png.f875fb38179698b672154b86d8f541f8.png 

And my recently acquired TW276 1 iron

image.png.dba6fd3d516d8327e02d1c5054b0918a.png

That set got me my first and second aces, my ride to college and my first 3 course records. I kept the TD 1 iron until I got a ICW11 1 with a FlexTwist Ti shaft. That went further than my 3 wood lol, goddamn that's a good set of irons! 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, stevechooster said:

Envious of you (and so many others) that had the chance to play the sport at a young age and just transitioned into it as you developed as a golfer. I grew up playing soccer all my life so I look back and realize how important it is to get exposed to anything/everything at young ages. I'm definitely attracted to the looks/designs of the blades, even though my score might tell me to pick up something that can provide more forgiveness (and stronger loft). I think my mind is definitely more interested in picking up blades and just going along for the ride. 

Soccer was my second sport sine it was winter season and golf was spring. Especially now in the modern game I think there's a lot of crossover between Soccer/real football and golf. I think it's about finding momentum, using angles and geometry with shots, not minding if you miss a few spots as long as you're not making dumb errors and I think about swinging like dribbling a ball. Everything is dynamic and if I get pissed it means I'm about ten steps behind and getting scored on like a dumbass lol. 

Being a decent player and teacher I'd say get the prettiest set of blades you can and don't worry about a thing. The heads are only 20% anyway, get fit for exactly the right shafts, get the lofts & lies right and enjoy every minute 😉 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, CokeZero said:

DUDE!! I swear to God I've been looking for a mint set of 276 FOR EVER, that's what I wanted but could only get the box toes. It's the only thing from back in the day that I still want. Play those with pride sir, that's the JOINT. 

It makes me laugh to see you start with "DUDE!"   Reason....  it's how I greet several of my friends, especially on phone.  Memory trigger!    LOL

I'm still missing a 2 iron for my TW276 set.  I'd lucked into a 3-PW set about 15 years ago, never have seen many 1 or 2 irons.  There was a full set once for sale, I nearly bought them just to get the 1 and 2 irons.  Hesitated and I was lost.

I keep hoping, though.   LOL

Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

14 minutes ago, stevechooster said:

2 minutes ago, CokeZero said:

Soccer was my second sport sine it was winter season and golf was spring. Especially now in the modern game I think there's a lot of crossover between Soccer/real football and golf. I think it's about finding momentum, using angles and geometry with shots, not minding if you miss a few spots as long as you're not making dumb errors and I think about swinging like dribbling a ball. Everything is dynamic and if I get pissed it means I'm about ten steps behind and getting scored on like a dumbass lol. 

Being a decent player and teacher I'd say get the prettiest set of blades you can and don't worry about a thing. The heads are only 20% anyway, get fit for exactly the right shafts, get the lofts & lies right and enjoy every minute 😉 

This is lovely....  I played a lot of soccer into my high school years.  Was mildly skilled at best, but loved the game.  Now some 40 years later, I just watch it on TV.  My club did pretty well last season, still have that warm fuzzy feeling about it....  🙂

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, NRJyzr said:

It makes me laugh to see you start with "DUDE!"   Reason....  it's how I greet several of my friends, especially on phone.  Memory trigger!    LOL

I'm still missing a 2 iron for my TW276 set.  I'd lucked into a 3-PW set about 15 years ago, never have seen many 1 or 2 irons.  There was a full set once for sale, I nearly bought them just to get the 1 and 2 irons.  Hesitated and I was lost.

I keep hoping, though.   LOL

Oh yeah, the long irons were impossible to find, Ram probably only made 1000 of each set and I doubt more than 250 1&2 irons. That's the best thing they ever made BY FAR. The next offering was the F/X Nickel that was junk, I think that was the first Nick Price kiss of death lol.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NRJyzr said:

This is lovely....  I played a lot of soccer into my high school years.  Was mildly skilled at best, but loved the game.  Now some 40 years later, I just watch it on TV.  My club did pretty well last season, still have that warm fuzzy feeling about it....  🙂

Who do you follow? 

Mezz.1 Max

ProV1

2 minutes ago, NRJyzr said:

Liverpool? I'm Glasgow Celtic via California lol, I played right and center back and like matches with over 100 fouls lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

15 minutes ago, stevechooster said:

Who do you follow? 

14 minutes ago, CokeZero said:

Liverpool? I'm Glasgow Celtic via California lol, I played right and center back and like matches with over 100 fouls lol

Yes, I'm a member of the Red Scouse Army.  Born and bred Minnesota lad, though, just another Yank who's latched on to a Premier League club, not a true Scouser.

FWIW, I was a striker.  Had a knack for some picking up garbage goals, but only mild ability, really.  Strong shot, and ability with both feet, were my best qualities, such as "quality" can be applied to my game.  😉

A Hoops fan!  You've had one heck of a run the last several years.  🙂

Edited by NRJyzr
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, NRJyzr said:

Yes, I'm a member of the Red Scouse Army.  Born and bred Minnesota lad, though, just another Yank who's latched on to a Premier League club, not a true Scouser.

FWIW, I was a striker.  Had a knack for some picking up garbage goals, but only mild ability, really.  Strong shot, and ability with both feet, were my best qualities, such as "quality" can be applied to my game.  😉

Congratulations on the title, well earned sir. Twitter is out of control as usual, just last night I got a meme of Stephen Merchant that said, Jurgen Kopp coming out of the locker room or something. I mean damn, nobody wins everything anymore lol

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, NRJyzr said:

Liverpool have a pretty decent sized Scandinavian fanbase. I was in a pub in Liverpool one night when there was a cup match, and a bunch of tall blokes with Liverpool scarves and shirts walk and the landlord greets them like regulars and they have a bit of chat. I could tell they weren't local because their English was too good. Then they started speaking among themselves in a language I couldn't recognise but guessed was a Scandinavian one. 

One of the guys I was with--a Liverpool season ticket holder--also knew them, and he told me they had flown in from Norway for the cup match and come pretty regularly, and that there are lots of fans like them.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, No_Catchy_Nickname said:

Liverpool have a pretty decent sized Scandinavian fanbase. I was in a pub in Liverpool one night when there was a cup match, and a bunch of tall blokes with Liverpool scarves and shirts walk and the landlord greets them like regulars and they have a bit of chat. I could tell they weren't local because their English was too good. Then they started speaking among themselves in a language I couldn't recognise but guessed was a Scandinavian one. 

One of the guys I was with--a Liverpool season ticket holder--also knew them, and he told me they had flown in from Norway for the cup match and come pretty regularly, and that there are lots of fans like them.

It's interesting that LFC are so popular in Norway.  I know some of it is due to Riise, but it seems to predate his arrival.

I wonder if they're also popular in Finland due to Sami Hyypia?  <shrug>

I stumbled on blades on a lark. Picked up a random Apex MB 7 iron and was shocked at how easy it was to hit well. Shortly thereafter, I kicked out the 716 AP1s in my bag for a set of MP-4s.

Now, my apartment is home to a set of 1988 Hogan Redlines, Hogan BH Grinds, MP-4s, and Apex MBs. All are eminently playable, and my ball striking and confidence has improved from playing these irons regularly. Plus, since they're all used, I spent about $100 for my two Hogan sets (combined), $300 for my MP-4s, and $200 (with trade in) for my Apex MBs. I'd rather have 4 fun, distinct sets than a single new set, personally.  

As for the benefits of the blades, I benefit from the visual confidence the irons provide and the thin soles (I tend to pick with a shallow descent angle). Plus, playing my blades have given me many memorable highlights during real rounds and real confidence in situations that might formerly have given me pause. Like a lot of golfers, I focus more on my little victories and improvement than my score, and my irons are generally a source of celebration. 

Admittedly, I do have a set of Miura CB-501s on the way. But at best, they'll just join the rotation. :)

5B9BA913-360E-43D1-BDDD-9A10BD6E95E2.jpeg

EB3B2951-FD48-4F17-BAB2-4B6B09D597FC.jpeg

• Like 4

2 hours ago, revanant said:

As for the benefits of the blades, I benefit from the visual confidence the irons provide and the thin soles (I tend to pick with a shallow descent angle). Plus, playing my blades have given me many memorable highlights during real rounds and real confidence in situations that might formerly have given me pause. Like a lot of golfers, I focus more on my little victories and improvement than my score, and my irons are generally a source of celebration. 

Amen to that. Cheers

20 hours ago, revanant said:

I stumbled on blades on a lark. Picked up a random Apex MB 7 iron and was shocked at how easy it was to hit well. Shortly thereafter, I kicked out the 716 AP1s in my bag for a set of MP-4s.

Now, my apartment is home to a set of 1988 Hogan Redlines, Hogan BH Grinds, MP-4s, and Apex MBs. All are eminently playable, and my ball striking and confidence has improved from playing these irons regularly. Plus, since they're all used, I spent about $100 for my two Hogan sets (combined), $300 for my MP-4s, and $200 (with trade in) for my Apex MBs. I'd rather have 4 fun, distinct sets than a single new set, personally.  

Admittedly, I do have a set of Miura CB-501s on the way. But at best, they'll just join the rotation. 🙂

5B9BA913-360E-43D1-BDDD-9A10BD6E95E2.jpeg

EB3B2951-FD48-4F17-BAB2-4B6B09D597FC.jpeg

That is quite the enviable blade rotation and I kinda hate you for getting a set of Miuras...

Agree with you 100% about the visual confidence and highlights!

• Like 1