2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Blade users thread (NO DEBATING CLUBHEADS! NO Buy Sell Trade!)

Bigmean

2 hours ago, revanant said:

Iron update -- my Apex MBs beat out the Miura CB-301s.

Better aesthetics, feel, and numbers. 

I have always been impressed with the Callaway MB's, great size and feel

• Like 1

Driver = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max-D 

3 wood = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max HL

3 Hybrid = Tour Edge Exotics C722
Irons = 4-PW Miura KM 700
Gap Wedge = Miura HB 50*

Sand Wedge = Taylormade MG2 56*

Putter = LAB DF3

Ball = TP5x pix / Bridgestone Tour B-X

I’m really liking the look of the Wilson staff models but still just a tiny bit worried about the forgiveness, I know it sounds dumb asking for a forgiving blade but something where if I hit it a tiny bit out of the toe it’s still gonna go the distance, I tried the 0311t and those were too much of a rocket for me, I was hitting a 7 iron close to 190 but the head shape I really liked and if they were just a tiny bit smaller I would’ve really loved them.

3 minutes ago, PReardon said:

I’m really liking the look of the Wilson staff models but still just a tiny bit worried about the forgiveness, I know it sounds dumb asking for a forgiving blade but something where if I hit it a tiny bit out of the toe it’s still gonna go the distance, I tried the 0311t and those were too much of a rocket for me, I was hitting a 7 iron close to 190 but the head shape I really liked and if they were just a tiny bit smaller I would’ve really loved them.

Look at the Moment Of Inertia (MOI) numbers in Maltby's MPF data.  That's the measurement of the resistance to twisting on off center hits.  Generally speaking, clubs with a longer heel to toe measurement will have a higher MOI, all else being equal.  

After poking through those, the new Wilson Staff blades have as high an MOI as any blade I've seen listed.  

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

2 hours ago, NRJyzr said:

Look at the Moment Of Inertia (MOI) numbers in Maltby's MPF data.  That's the measurement of the resistance to twisting on off center hits.  Generally speaking, clubs with a longer heel to toe measurement will have a higher MOI, all else being equal.  

After poking through those, the new Wilson Staff blades have as high an MOI as any blade I've seen listed.  

just checked it out and thank you so much for letting me know, really helped me out, I read the chart they give you about handicaps and everything and the wilson staffs fit perfectly into the category im in, not a wicked high MOI but also not wicked low. Seriously can't thank you enough.

• Like 2

Got pics to share, Brother Nard?

Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

1 hour ago, Nard_S said:

Cannot wait for snow to melt away. A redo on Maruman w/ S.P.B. is done. Basically it's a hard step which will lower SW and adds back the #3i. I'm also going to flatten the lie. They are too upright which makes them too left and draw biased.

Are your clubs upright lie angle set for your swing mechanics? 

I would think manipulating lie angle to change down range result as opposed to adjusting something in your swing, could have consequences, right?

If I lose a shot, it's mostly left and mostly due to my hands rolling over a bit too quick.  I need to add a few more wraps, maybe. 

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° GD Tour AD-VF 74S
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX 6.0 Wedge 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x, ProV1x or AVX

8 minutes ago, Pepperturbo said:

Are your clubs upright lie angle set for your swing mechanics? 

I would think manipulating lie angle to change down range result as opposed to adjusting something in your swing, could have consequences, right?

If I lose a shot, it's mostly left and mostly due to my hands rolling over a bit too quick.  I need to add a few more wraps, maybe. 

They are more upright than most all clubs I own. Suspect they are 2*up. Standard for me is okay, but 1* or 2* flat is ideal.  They are used heads, must have suited guy who had them. I blue printed every club to originally do hard step setup. Got chicken and went normal. Fixing that part but lie angle is way too upright and I already have a draw bias to swing and I'm not very tall (5'9").

• Like 1

Anyone seen these yet? 

https://www.pxg.com/en-us/clubs/irons/2021-0211-st

A new "Super Tour" blade that they put up in the last week or so. It's quite sexy in my opinion. Sorry if it has already been shared 

Driver: Ping G430 Max (Ventus Velocore TR Red 6x)

4W: Titleist Tsi2 16.5* (Hazardus Smoke RDX 70)

7W: Titleist 910 21* (UST Mamiya Attas 75)

Irons: Handmade Stix LB-1 4-PW (Dynamic Gold X100)

Wedges: 50*, 54* & 60* Vokey SM9 (Dynamic Gold S400)

Putter: Odyssey Toulon Austin 

Ball: Titleist ProV1x

This is the first I've heard of these PXG blades.  Notice they don't have specs available.  Look interesting, but similar to other blade products.

Curious what "increased MOI" means to them.  Would love seeing GolfWorks getting their hands on one to test using their methodology for a comparative.

48 minutes ago, NRJyzr said:

This is the first I've heard of these PXG blades.  Notice they don't have specs available.  Look interesting, but similar to other blade products.

Curious what "increased MOI" means to them.  Would love seeing GolfWorks getting their hands on one to test using their methodology for a comparative.

Lofts look a little strong

F7DC1D43-E9A7-42DA-A5DE-ADE03CFA3933.png

• Like 1

Taylormade M4 tour 8.5*   Attas 4U 6X

Srixon Z H45  16*

Callaway Apex MB raw 4-PW  

Cleveland 588    52,60

Scotty Newport the art of putting

-----------------------------------------

2 hours ago, NixLix26 said:

Lofts look a little strong

F7DC1D43-E9A7-42DA-A5DE-ADE03CFA3933.png

Looks similar to Srixon lofts.

I wonder if it didn't display for me due to the mobile device I was using...

Those PXG's remind me of Wilson Ultra's. We

5 hours ago, wrm2120 said:

Anyone seen these yet? 

https://www.pxg.com/en-us/clubs/irons/2021-0211-st

A new "Super Tour" blade that they put up in the last week or so. It's quite sexy in my opinion. Sorry if it has already been shared 

Not bad looking, interesting on the high toe weight, sort of like Wilson Ultra's way back when.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Swingingk said:

I'm no PXG fanboy but I will say good on them for offering a real blade.  The more the merrier.  And I'm not even going to comment on the lack of a 2 iron.  Oh wait...  I just did...  😆

They might need to add a 3 first.

Who knew a nice solid deuce would be cast aside. Nothing like flushing a deuce.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Sorry to divert attention from the sexy (or not) PXGs, but I have a question about the build on my MP32s.  Something looked strange to me about the KBS Tour 120S that I put in them, and I realized it was the step pattern.  These are tapered shafts.  

My understanding is that the distance from last step to tip should get longer as the shafts get longer, that is the distance from last step to tip is shorter on a PW than on a 9 iron.  

I measured that distance on my MP32's (actually I measured last step to ferrule) and got these numbers:

PW: 3.75 inches

9: 4.5

8: 7

7: 5.5

6: 5.75

Does that mean that the pulled shafts I bought had a seriously soft-stepped 8 iron?  Maybe a 4 iron that someone cut down to 8 iron length.  

I actually have launch monitor data on these clubs and the 8 iron falls pretty much between the 7 and 9 irons for the numbers I kept.  Suggests that maybe soft stepping of these shafts has little effect for me?  

Thanks for any feedback.    

1 hour ago, Sonja Henie said:

Sorry to divert attention from the sexy (or not) PXGs, but I have a question about the build on my MP32s.  Something looked strange to me about the KBS Tour 120S that I put in them, and I realized it was the step pattern.  These are tapered shafts.  

My understanding is that the distance from last step to tip should get longer as the shafts get longer, that is the distance from last step to tip is shorter on a PW than on a 9 iron.  

I measured that distance on my MP32's (actually I measured last step to ferrule) and got these numbers:

Does that mean that the pulled shafts I bought had a seriously soft-stepped 8 iron?  Maybe a 4 iron that someone cut down to 8 iron length.  

I actually have launch monitor data on these clubs and the 8 iron falls pretty much between the 7 and 9 irons for the numbers I kept.  Suggests that maybe soft stepping of these shafts has little effect for me?  

Thanks for any feedback.    

If those are tapered shafts, that #8 iron is soft stepped a number of times. Buy a single from GG and replace it if you want to match to the rest. Flex is what is effected, distance is biased more by loft.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Sonja Henie said:

Thanks for any feedback.    

I think Nard_S has already answered your question, but it's interesting that you haven't found any significant playing difference between the 7, 8, 9 nine. I'd have expected higher ball flight and more side spin (specifically for me, draws overdrawing or turning into late hooks).

I've got a set of irons soft-stepped with S300 shafts, so the PW has a 9i shaft, the 9i an 8i shaft and so on. As Nard_S said, soft-stepping changes the flex, but not very much. I think I've read in the club tech thread that one soft-step (or hard step) changes the flex by about a 1/3 to a half, and it's not very noticeable.

In my experience, I only start to notice it in the long irons. I barely notice in the 5i, and by the 4i I can just feel the tip is ever so slightly softer than a normal S300. I don't have the 3i in this particular set shafted up because I didn't have a 2i shaft lying about for it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, No_Catchy_Nickname said:

I think Nard_S has already answered your question, but it's interesting that you haven't found any significant playing difference between the 7, 8, 9 nine. I'd have expected higher ball flight and more side spin (specifically for me, draws overdrawing or turning into late hooks).

I've got a set of irons soft-stepped with S300 shafts, so the PW has a 9i shaft, the 9i an 8i shaft and so on. As Nard_S said, soft-stepping changes the flex, but not very much. I think I've read in the club tech thread that one soft-step (or hard step) changes the flex by about a 1/3 to a half, and it's not very noticeable.

In my experience, I only start to notice it in the long irons. I barely notice in the 5i, and by the 4i I can just feel the tip is ever so slightly softer than a normal S300. I don't have the 3i in this particular set shafted up because I didn't have a 2i shaft lying about for it.

I think on DG a soft step drops FCM by .3, which is not much. WRX tech section, see Howard Jones, he's the guru on shafts, For me flex is more about rhythm/tempo of swing more than anything else.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, No_Catchy_Nickname said:

Yes, that's what I was trying to say by a third of a flex. In other words, a soft-stepped DGX100 will not play as soft as a DGS100. 

I'm not sure how these soft-stepped irons will work out for me, because I've only just had them done. I had some old pulls, and decided to put them into a set I had instead of lengthening the existing shafts.

Here are some pictures. Srixon Pro 100 heads. Really amazing feel. Topline looks quite beefy, but it's actually not as thick as it looks. I've got most of the paint fill out, but I need to give it another go. I might paint the numbers on the sole red just to make them easier for me to distinguish.

153152230_SrixonPro1006iback.jpg.c0f45fdf8471aeda01d95bbe4c108c81.jpg1188886766_SrixonPro1006itopline.jpg.3cff9c0f80192fecc8c785744fb88a86.jpg369802933_SrixonPro100PWback.jpg.213485b6c1153f48248937daa2cfd38e.jpg1864549673_SrixonPro100PWsole.jpg.6d5a963a2e6eefdcfdf648dbe7cc8f1d.jpg64010968_SrixonPro100PWface.jpg.ff37054be832ba6b16909293b0cc0c6e.jpg1414211392_SrixonPro100inthebag.jpg.01ef178af577160dfd0f3c40323df78a.jpg

Those are really nice. Were they Endo forged?

I've got a set of Tourstage TS-201. Thinking to do what you did with them - Move the 3-iron shaft to the 4 and the 4 to the 5 on down. They are X-100 so that oughta soften them up. But, it's just a thought. Not going to do too much playing around until my right hand feels less clunky.

1 hour ago, Christen_The_Sloop said:

Those are really nice. Were they Endo forged?

I've got a set of Tourstage TS-201. Thinking to do what you did with them - Move the 3-iron shaft to the 4 and the 4 to the 5 on down. They are X-100 so that oughta soften them up. But, it's just a thought. Not going to do too much playing around until my right hand feels less clunky.

Wouldn't surprise if they were Endo-forged, but I don't know. What I do know is that they feel fantastic.

The soft-stepping is quite interesting. I mainly did it so I could get longer shafts without getting them extended. The PW was 36" with a SW of D6, so I got it cut down to 35.75" to lower the SW a little. The short iron lengths in the pulls were a bit weird. There was only a few millimetres of difference between the pulled 9i (which is now in the PW) and 8i, and the 8i and 7i, but so far it seems to be working out. The one club that concerns me is the 7i. At the range, I didn't see much of a gap between the 7i and 8i, but a massive one between the 7i and 6i. Need to check it out at a better range and in better light, as I was losing sight of the ball a bit.

11 hours ago, Nard_S said:

I think on DG a soft step drops FCM by .3, which is not much. WRX tech section, see Howard Jones, he's the guru on shafts, For me flex is more about rhythm/tempo of swing more than anything else.

It depends on how you define your flexes.

In the Precision and Rifle world, they frequently used 10 cpm per flex.  However, in the DG world, there are four soft or hard steps between the flexes, covering approximately 16 cpm (2" difference in tip length between flexes in DG tapered, half inch difference in tip length between each shaft in the set).

A single step is said to be 3 or 4 cpm.  Most iron sets have 7g between the clubheads.  Frequency changes 1 cpm per swingweight point.  Also, the weight needed to change a full swingweight point varies with length; it's 2.07g at 38", 2.26g at 36", etc.  The point where 2g per swingweight is required appears to be around 38.75".

Great fun.  🙂

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, NRJyzr said:

It depends on how you define your flexes.

In the Precision and Rifle world, they frequently used 10 cpm per flex.  However, in the DG world, there are four soft or hard steps between the flexes, covering approximately 16 cpm (2" difference in tip length between flexes in DG tapered, half inch difference in tip length between each shaft in the set).

A single step is said to be 3 or 4 cpm.  Most iron sets have 7g between the clubheads.  Frequency changes 1 cpm per swingweight point.  Also, the weight needed to change a full swingweight point varies with length; it's 2.07g at 38", 2.26g at 36", etc.  The point where 2g per swingweight is required appears to be around 38.75".

Great fun.  🙂

1206022111_Nomath.jpg.e9cba8d6a5fa70b9cc78c7d2c90981bb.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Sorry Catchy, I'm a rather left brain* sort.  I'm an accountant, was an advanced math student as a youngun, and have data nerd/analyst tendencies.  

One must follow one's nature.

*also play guitar and have a mild to moderate sense of rhythm, not completely talentless.   LOL

Edited by NRJyzr
  • Like 1