2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

New to WRX.. what is the definition of average joe?

[quote name='Free swingr' timestamp='1429642339' post='11409019']Avg Joe on wrx = 25 handicap that hits it 305, plays blades, great ball stricker, just struggles a bit with with short game, currently working on using the bounce more w/ chip shots, streaky putting.[/quote]

I laughed out loud on this one . If I had a nickel for every time I read something like that on here I'd buy you all a yacht.

[quote name='PJP1113' timestamp='1427486737' post='11229485']
What is the definition of an average joe?
[/quote]

I would think the sub-heading of this very forum should answer your question,,,,,,,,, (cool)

GolfWRX → The Bag Room → WRX Club Techs → Avg Joe Swings [b][u]Stiff and Below[/u][/b]

[font=comic sans ms,cursive][color=#ff8c00][b]Cobra Bio Cell+[/b][/color]
[color=#000080][b]Adams A12 Pro 16, 20, 23[/b][/color]
[b][color=#696969]Ping G20, 5-SW, C-Taper stiff[/color][/b]
[color=#ff0000][b]TM xft wedge 64[/b][/color]
[b][color="#000000"]Scotty Futura X[/color][/b][/font]
[font=comic sans ms,cursive][b]ProV1x[/b][/font]

I find a lot of this very interesting. Consider that the USGA considers the average golfer (bogey golfer) to hit the ball 200 in the air and roll out to 220. And there are lots of statistical surveys that confirm this for the average golfer. Which would make the average swing speed about 80-85 mph.

These 200-220 numbers are what the USGA uses for the average when calculating slope and USGA handicap ratings. And 250 is the distance used for the scratch golfer. [color=#000000][size=3]And these where the distances that the rater is supposed to measure the width of the fairway and the distance of the hazards/obstructions, etc are from the center of the fairway.[/size][/color]

Of course, as many others have mentioned, us WRX'ers are exceptional and way longer than the norm (not me, I'm 70 and disabled) So I am lucky to hit one 200 and usually hit it about 175-180 and at times only 150-165.

"[color=#000000][size=3]Bogey Golfer[/size][/color][color=#000000][size=3]
A male "[i]bogey golfer"[/i] is a player who has a [i]Course Handicap[/i] of approximately 20 on a course of standard difficulty. He can hit tee shots an average of 200 yards and reach a 370-yard hole in two shots at sea level."[/size][/color][color=#000000][size=3]
A male [i]scratch golfer[/i], for rating purposes, can hit tee shots an average of 250 yards and can reach a 470-yard hole in two shots at sea level. "[/size][/color][color=#000000][size=3]
[size=5]I do sometimes play with those that can actually on the course hit it 300 or more (and keep it in the same course) but not as often as i'd think by reading WRX. 230 to about 270 is much more common.[/size][/size][/color]

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='jdg2494' timestamp='1427488106' post='11229645']
What you read on WRX and what is reality are two very different things.

If there was a requirement of a video submission for everyone on the site to showcase their golf game, the average drive would be around 265, and you would see more 15 HDCP swings than you would 1.5 HDCP. The Internet allows people to live an anonymous life beyond what is reality.

There should be a GolfWRX Open where everyone who plays is required to have their tournament score as a part of their signature until the next years tournament.
[/quote]

That would be EPIC!!!!!

[quote name='mike_dmt' timestamp='1440398744' post='12197404']

Long story short, I think where you play has a big influence on handicap. I play a lot of munis, where you can miss a fairway by a ways and still score.. Desert or links courses where that same ball is out or unplayable? That can make a decent player look like a hack based on numbers
[/quote]

^^This: I play a course quite a bit that allows for tons of room off the tee on most holes. If I play it too often my cap drops like a rock because I can avoid penalty strokes and have a shot to scramble my way out of it. I also spend some time on a Desert links type course and a CC that severely punish wayward tee shots. I consistently play 5-7 strokes worse at those courses because I get loose off the tee box. The type of course someone plays has a lot to do with their number. I play with guys who play one course all year long. If you get them off their home track they melt.

[quote name='mwmgolfx' timestamp='1441905435' post='12294118']
I find a lot of this very interesting. Consider that the USGA considers the average golfer (bogey golfer) to hit the ball 200 in the air and roll out to 220. And there are lots of statistical surveys that confirm this for the average golfer. Which would make the average swing speed about 80-85 mph.

These 200-220 numbers are what the USGA uses for the average when calculating slope and USGA handicap ratings. And 250 is the distance used for the scratch golfer. [color=#000000][size=3]And these where the distances that the rater is supposed to measure the width of the fairway and the distance of the hazards/obstructions, etc are from the center of the fairway.[/size][/color]

Of course, as many others have mentioned, us WRX'ers are exceptional and way longer than the norm (not me, I'm 70 and disabled) So I am lucky to hit one 200 and usually hit it about 175-180 and at times only 150-165.

"[color=#000000][size=3]Bogey Golfer[/size][/color]
[color=#000000][size=3]A male "[i]bogey golfer"[/i] is a player who has a [i]Course Handicap[/i] of approximately 20 on a course of standard difficulty. He can hit tee shots an average of 200 yards and reach a 370-yard hole in two shots at sea level."[/size][/color]
[color=#000000][size=3]A male [i]scratch golfer[/i], for rating purposes, can hit tee shots an average of 250 yards and can reach a 470-yard hole in two shots at sea level. "[/size][/color]
[color=#000000][size=3][size=5]I do sometimes play with those that can actually on the course hit it 300 or more (and keep it in the same course) but not as often as i'd think by reading WRX. 230 to about 270 is much more common.[/size][/size][/color]
[/quote]

I'd like to see the WRX breakdown of how many of those who claim to hit it 300 yds actually think they hit it that far and those who know they don't, but tell the tale so to speak. I think quite a few golfers really think they hit the ball "x" yds, but don't realize they didn't

I am an Average Joe as well. I have a good swing speed and hit the ball really well (3-4 drives over 300 during most rounds), but I struggle with my 2nd shots sometimes and my putting is mediocre. I'd like to participate in the LD contest at some point, but I need to do a lot of work for that.

My ball striking has gotten better this year because I've been playing more, but I'm still not consistent with my scores. Best is an 87 at Bethpage Red. If my putting improved, I could easily drop into the low 80s, but it hasn't yet lol.

Driver: Cobra LTD Pro 7.5o - Kuro Kage DC XT 70 TX - Tipped 1"

UDI: 2019 TaylorMade P790 2i

Irons: 3-PW: Srixon z745 with Modus 130x

Wedges: 52o/56o/60o - Cleveland RTX4s

Putter: Ping Kushin 4

I think average is a word that has almost no meaning. I played today and shot 89 with a 2 penalties and 40 putts. Two weeks ago I shot 81 on the same course. I'd have to find the scorecards, but the difference was probably all in the putting. I practice, play once or twice a week and drive it 250-280. Most often 260. I'm a better ball striker than my scores would suggest, and I hit a lot of greens lately. I think I'm a little better than average, but I tend to see a lot of pretty bad swings, and I'm not in the same hemisphere as a scratch golfer. I played with a guy in his 70's who didn't hit a shot that carried more than 170 yards all day. It was a 6,000 yard muni, and he shot 79. I shoot mid 80's pretty much everywhere, usually 63-6600 yards. There's a million ways to play this game. Everybody wants to compare themselves to everybody else, but it doesn't really hold up, IMO.

[quote name='NotAsGoodAsIShouldBe' timestamp='1443489809' post='12381534']
I think average is a word that has almost no meaning. I played today and shot 89 with a 2 penalties and 40 putts. Two weeks ago I shot 81 on the same course. I'd have to find the scorecards, but the difference was probably all in the putting. I practice, play once or twice a week and drive it 250-280. Most often 260. I'm a better ball striker than my scores would suggest, and I hit a lot of greens lately. I think I'm a little better than average, but I tend to see a lot of pretty bad swings, and I'm not in the same hemisphere as a scratch golfer. I played with a guy in his 70's who didn't hit a shot that carried more than 170 yards all day. It was a 6,000 yard muni, and he shot 79. I shoot mid 80's pretty much everywhere, usually 63-6600 yards. There's a million ways to play this game. Everybody wants to compare themselves to everybody else, but it doesn't really hold up, IMO.
[/quote]
This pretty much sums it up. Love the username btw lol, I feel the same way.

I normally drive 280-300+ and usually score around 90 give or take. I rarely 1 putt and my 2nd shots are unfortunately, off the green more often than on. I should easily be shooting in the low 80s, but to this day my best score is 87. I watched a quick video last night talking about how 65% of the game is shot from 125 yards or less and it's the absolute truth. Long game is pretty, but the short game wins matches.

Driver: Cobra LTD Pro 7.5o - Kuro Kage DC XT 70 TX - Tipped 1"

UDI: 2019 TaylorMade P790 2i

Irons: 3-PW: Srixon z745 with Modus 130x

Wedges: 52o/56o/60o - Cleveland RTX4s

Putter: Ping Kushin 4

Average Joe would drive less than 250 yards at sea level and medium rolling fairways. Most average players I play with actually hit it about 200 to 235. Some play pretty well that way.

[size=3][color=#ff0000][b]I'm a business/recreational golfer with a 100 MPH driver swing speed, and a 10 HC.[/b][/color][/size]

[size=3]Ping K15, 9*, Motore F3 70s | [/size][size=3]Titleist 915F, 15*, Blue 70s | [/size]T[size=3]itleist 915H, 18*, Rogue 85Hs [/size][size=3]| [/size]T[size=3]itleist 816H2, 23*, [/size][size=3]Speeder HB8.8[/size]
[size=3]Callaway XR Pro 5-AW, Recoil 110 | [/size][size=3]Ping Glide 54*/SS, 58*/WS | [/size][size=3]Ping Scottsdale TR Shea H[/size]
[size=3]Golf Pride CP2 Pro Grips | [/size][size=3]Wilson Duo/Spin | [/size][size=3]Leupold GX-3i[/size]

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='Free swingr' timestamp='1429642339' post='11409019']
Avg Joe on wrx = 25 handicap that hits it 305, plays blades, great ball stricker, just struggles a bit with with short game, currently working on using the bounce more w/ chip shots, streaky putting.
[/quote]

Very good, and typically accurate!

I must not be an average Joe, although my 90 mph swing speed would qualify me for being an average Joette? Hey, I can get it to 92 when I am warmed up. But not too many other plus 60-year-olds get it by me.

I have been fit at Titleist (AP1 - they switched me from the stiff 105T shaft to the regular, which was one of the best things to happen in a long time.) They put me in the same regular shaft in a Vokey TVD, which really helped me with my 85 yard full swing sand wedge. I have some AP2's, same shaft, which I mix in from time to time.

I play courses that are around 6,000 yards, and score from 74 to 81. In the later part of the summer I was not over 78, which speaks to some consistency.

I use a belly putter, and am going to have a hard time scoring as well next year because I usually make a longer putt or two with the belly, and I don't with a regular length putter. So, my 6 - 7 handicap will go up a couple, probably.

Or, I'll cheat whenever I can.

My new weapon this year is a 7-wood. Last time I played I hit a couple of choke down, 3/4 7-woods about 165-170, which I used to hit my 4-hybrid. But the 7-wood shots were much more accurate. I can get the 7-wood about 180 with a regular swing, so that club has been a really nice addition to the bag. My longest iron these days is a 6-iron. Hit it 155 - 160.

I'm looking forward to next summer.

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

[quote name='LYJ' timestamp='1447963525' post='12620724']
golf tales are like fishing tales IMHO LOL!!
[/quote]

Probably true. This thread is funny those, how many people are more concerned with others' playing ability than their own. Spend less time on the forum reading all these faux 300 yard stories and more time hitting the chipping and putting green and you won't be relegated to average Joe scores ;). Just my $.02

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Asiz' timestamp='1433786412' post='11712106']
[quote name='pktaske' timestamp='1433785766' post='11712028']
[quote name='Enfynet' timestamp='1433104819' post='11661968']
I think Average Joe is a Bogey Golfer. Probably has fairly good swing speed, but poor contact consistency. Sure, they will hit a 9 iron from 150, but only 10% of the time does it ever actually land on the green.

I don't think I want to be in a WRX tournament. I don't think there's enough digits for my scores.
[/quote]

I just played with one of these douchbg's on Friday. Would try to hit his approach wedge 130 yards whenever he could. Short and right most times aside from the one par 3 that was downhill and a breeze at his back. It trickled onto the front lip, 40 feet from the hole.
[/quote]

I would like to think a terrible personality makes a person a d-bag, not their club selection, but I don't know it all
[/quote]

Spoken like a true honest average player. ! I agree with you !

Certified Orginal Member#2
Outlaw Golf Association
To Heck with the USGA

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

The national average score for a 18 hole regulation course is around 100. If that is the case, then I would think that an Average Joe would be bogey+ golf. There as a time, prior to the internet, where consistently breaking 90 was the sign of a good golfer.

I think the progression on WRX is to start as an Average Joe with honest numbers and then slowly inflating those numbers to get acceptance on one of the main forums; eventually making it to the classic forum where you don't give a...

I used to enjoy the classic forum but it has evolved (???) into goodwill equipment buying.

John

What you read on WRX and what is reality are two very different things.

If there was a requirement of a video submission for everyone on the site to showcase their golf game, the average drive would be around 265, and you would see more 15 HDCP swings than you would 1.5 HDCP. The Internet allows people to live an anonymous life beyond what is reality.

There should be a GolfWRX Open where everyone who plays is required to have their tournament score as a part of their signature until the next years tournament.

Most members would throw in the towel beforehand, lol!! Great post!!

• 1 month later...

Haha some of this is brilliant, I was put off posting when I first joined.

I am told that the average handicap in most countries is about 18, and swing speed 85 ish miles an hour.

That guy above....the guy who hits from the whites....

That's ME....a short hitter (180yd drives) with a HC of 18 only because I hit it straight and I have a good short game.

TM SLDR-430/10.5 @ 12°, OEM speeder 57R
08 Burner 3w/5w 49g M/sr flex
Cobra TWS Hybrids H3/H4 A-flex 60g
Cobra SS-i irons Penley Graphite Light-R
Cleve 588-49LowBounce,900-54LB,588-57LB
TM Spider 72M
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1061239-katbirds-bag-of-sticks/"]WITB Link[/url]

• 1 month later...

"Average" in what respect? Distance? Accuracy? Scores?

I was taught differently than what the current instructors tend to do. (I'm 62 and started playing at age 12) I was taught to control the ball. Distance wasn't nearly as important as control. I learned to shape the ball both ways and to reliably hit it high or low. I still do these things even though my distances have backed up a bit with age and a few heart issues. I drive the ball 245-ish and my 7 iron distance is 155. I feel like I'm "average" in those departments. But my scores have not suffered due to the distance losses because I still make certain that I play smart and control the ball. If you can control the ball, play the appropriate tee box for your driving distances, limit bad decisions, you can easily play into single digit indexes. In my humble opinion, anything "average" is somebody who takes undue chances and doesn't hit shots that allow them to keep the ball reasonably under control.

The worst part is, my 73 year old dad, hits his drives 220 on a good day, and still beats me regularly.

That is old man game for ya. I laugh whenever my buddies decide to gamble with the old timers when we get paired up with them as a 2some. I always tell them to just hand over their money right there on the first tee but they never listen.

The average golfer hits his drive about 205 yards, and shoots in the mid/high 90s. For those that keep a handicap the average is around 14.

GolfWRX is filled with a plethora of members who are no way average.

This is a golf forum filled with people who have a well above average obsession with the game. Most average golfers probably wouldn't be on this site. You're definitely correct that this community is filled with people who aren't average (in more ways than one ;) ), because it's a group of people who play golf as much as they can, and when they aren't playing golf, they are on here talking about it, so it's not all that unreasonable to think that the average WRX member is much different than the average golfer.

Everyone should take everything with a grain of salt since it's the internet, but the fact that there are those that completely write everything off because of someones handicap are a bit ridiculous, and there's not much of a reason to dis-believe anything till you know otherwise and have facts to contribute to it.

When I first started on here I was a 19(?) hcp I believe, and was one of those people that legitimately could hit the ball a long way. My ball striking was above average at that point too. Now, I don't hit the driver as far. I find more fairways, but I don't think I could honestly swing as fast now as I'm not as athletic as I was then. Driving distance is constantly questioned because it takes physical abilities outside of having a good golf game that some people don't have.

But I'd say at a 19 hcp, swinging fast was easy. Figuring out how to hit a 60 yard chip that checks within 8 feet to a back pin is what was difficult. You don't necessarily need to learn to swing fast. Some people just played other sports and things of that nature and have that ability.

Distance is something everyone is chasing, but honestly, who cares. A piped 300 yard drive is always impressive, but personally, I'm much more impressed by the sound of a crisp iron shot, good wedge play, or a bag full of irons with a sweet spot worn thin. Hitting the ball far and being a good golfer aren't synonymous. Hitting it far and hitting every fairway is different. If you asked me at that point if I could hit it 300 I'd say yes. If you asked me today I'd still say yes. But I would follow it up the same way in both situations by saying that I wouldn't always hit the fairway.

On top of that, if a guy posts his handicap and its in the high-teens, he knows he's got stuff to work on.. no need to question what he might claim as a strength..

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome. Its wise to keep Golfwrx community, skilled golfers and big hitters in perspective to the rest of the golfing world. Let's say, there's a concentrated good golfer effect on Golfwrx and talkers. Plenty of good and some real golfers that frequent the board and many do hit 300yd drives. I, however, don't give 300yd drives much credence because most are in the trees. Average Joe at his best, is maybe a mid-cap. You can learn a great deal on Golfwrx though.... enjoy. :beach:

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° GD Tour AD-VF 74S
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90S
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x, ProV1x or AVX

• 1 month later...

It would be great if WRX would put on 4 stroke play tourneys a year in different regions of the U.S. I would travel a few hours to play for sure. Things would change a bit if people had to actually "walk the walk"

Can you imagine how many post would start with... "I just had an off day"

And how about the 20 handicappers giving advice on which iron is more forgiving?....LOL