2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

What Did You Shoot Today? (Continuation)

1t2golf

Played my first round of the year! Played Juniper Golf Course in Redmond, OR, it's about 15-20 minutes north of Bend. They opened 9 on Friday and then 18 for Saturday and Sunday. It was one of the nicest days we have had in sometime and I was able to get in a couple of hours at the range, chipping green, and putting green Saturday. Sunday had about a 2 1/2 to 3 club wind, but I was happy to out playing. We have had record setting snow and cold this winter. I shot 81 (39/42). I did not putt well at all and made 3 bad club choices on tee shots, but overall I'm just happy it got to play. I'm hoping that the weather will hold and I can get in another round this coming weekend.

Knocking off some rust in the first nice weather round of 2017. Was doing this thing on the front where I sucked every other hole, but then had it rolling on the back 9 until 16. Really felt like I hit the ball pretty well, and putting was decent. I hit two bad wedges that lead to bogies, and unfortunately 3 of the poor shots I had lead to lost balls and a drop.

16 was a mystery. Didnt hit a great 2nd shot but everyone thought we saw it clear the trouble, couldnt find the ball so had to go back. Left that shot (for par) short, then still took 2 putts once I got on. Frustration got the better of me at that point. Was happy to finish par-par and not fully implode

Started good yesterday with a +1 front then immediately fell apart on the back to finish with an 83. Quad I took on 18 certainly didn't help. Walked 18 of a crap par 3 course today but didn't keep score. Back to my normal course tomorrow to show that back 9 who's boss (hopefully).

Didn't exactly "show it who's boss" but did improve the back with a 41 instead of Saturday's 46 on my way to a 79, which included a triple. Need to iron out the one or two bad holes and I'll be happy with the rest.

Shot the famous 45/37 for a 82. One day I will play consistent 18 holes. The other day I shot a 84 with two 8's and a 7 along with four birdies!

[b]9.5 Ping G20 Pink Bubba Edition[/color][/b]
[b]13.0 Tour Edge Exotic [/b][/font][b]E8[/b]
[b]16.5 Tour Edge [/b][/font][color=#333333]XCG-3 (Ain't nothing kicking this one out)[/color]
[[b]21Tour Edge CB PRO U HYBRID LE[/b]
[b]25 Tour Edge Exotic E9-Recoil F4 [/b][b]Shaft [/b]
[b]PXG 6-PW with Nippon 950's[/b]
[b]50 Ben Hogan TK[/b]
[b]54-Vokey SM5 M Grind Indigo-S400 Black Onyx Shaft[/b]
[b]58-Vokey SMS K [/b][/font][b]Grind Indigo-S400 Black Onyx Shaft[/b]
[b]64-Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind-[/b][b]S400 Black Onyx Shaft[/b]
[b]Scotty Cameron 1.5 Select Tour COA# A30182[/b][/font][/size]

We had a nice calm day yesterday. The wind was only blowing 20-25 mph, 50 ish degrees. Hit it pretty well, made a couple putts, lipped out several more, but I'm happy with 39-36.

The day before though.....wow. 70* in February, we had to play. Sustained winds at 35 mph with gusts up to 50. What a wild ride. When you miss just a little bit into that kind of wind bad, bad things happen A nice, smooth 84 (6 penalty strokes).

Today, 10-12" of snow expected.

Played today and hit the driver well for the most part but struggled with the irons - greens were fairly inconsistent but can't be too disappointed with a 76 (38-38). Just missed a 20'+ putt on 18 for birdie.

Titleist TSi3 10* (at 9.25*) w/ Tour AD DI 6X 
Titleist TSR2 15* w/ Tour AD MJ 8X
Titleist TSR2 18* Hybrid w/ Fuji Atmos Blue Tour Spec 8X

Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3 iron w/ KBS Tour V S HS'd
Titleist 716CB 4-P w/ DG AMT TI X100 SS'd
Vokey SM7 Slate Blue 54.10 (1* strong) and 58.08 with Onyx DGTI S400
PING PLD Anser D 35"

2021 ProV1 or Left Dash ProV1x (or random other tour quality balls LOL)

Scrambled my a** off for an even par 71. I missed every fairway on the front and hit only 8 greens in regulation on the day. But, I got up and down 9/10 times and found an easy one after an approach to 3 feet on 15. Final stats were 5/14 fairways (2/11 with driver), 8/18 greens, 26 putts, 1 birdie, 1 bogey. It was both incredibly frustrating because I drove the ball so poorly, but also very satisfying because my short game really came through. I scored about as well as I possibly could have based on the way I was hitting it.

it's the 26 putts that I'm envious of...

Sun Mountain 2017 4.5 LS 4-way Stand Bag

PING Anser 11°, Graphite Design Tour AD Black Di-6-X

Titleist 915Fd 15° 3W, Aldila Rogue Black 80-2.8-S

Wilson/Staff D-100 19° 3H, Matrix Ozik Altus 5.6-S

Adams Idea Black CB2 4-PW, KBS Tour 90-S

Nike VR Pro X3X 52/10 & 58/10, DG S400

Edel E-1

Played Boone Links in northern Kentucky today (my "home" course). My current goal is to start breaking bogey on a consistent basis on each 9.

I tried the strategy today of playing each hole like it's one par higher than it is. Focused on getting my drives down the middle more than getting maximum distance, and getting the "regulation" approach shot close enough so that "my" approach shot was 9 iron or less.

Shot 7 over on the front, and as you can imagine was pretty happy with that. 7 bogeys and 2 pars. Promptly followed that up by shooting 19 over on the back. Three-putts, duffed fairway shots, hitting into hazards, you name it. The back 9 is harder than the front, but not THAT much harder.

Not sure if I lost concentration or got cocky or what.

Made 3 birdies in shooting 78 at the Golf Club of Houston (yesterday). Course is ready for the SHO except the greens are (purposefully) a little slow. Fairways so pretty you're almost embarrassed to take divots.

Nice work! The one time I played there just after the tournament I was disappointed that the fairways didn't roll at all - did you have that same scenario?

Titleist TSi3 10* (at 9.25*) w/ Tour AD DI 6X 
Titleist TSR2 15* w/ Tour AD MJ 8X
Titleist TSR2 18* Hybrid w/ Fuji Atmos Blue Tour Spec 8X

Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3 iron w/ KBS Tour V S HS'd
Titleist 716CB 4-P w/ DG AMT TI X100 SS'd
Vokey SM7 Slate Blue 54.10 (1* strong) and 58.08 with Onyx DGTI S400
PING PLD Anser D 35"

2021 ProV1 or Left Dash ProV1x (or random other tour quality balls LOL)

It was about 46 degrees here but sunny (albeit a tad windy). The course was completely deserted except for another guy like myself that was walking. I shot a 47 for nine holes, which is pretty good for me (I always aim for sub-50 rounds on this nine hole loop) and I made net birdies on two of the last three holes. Hit a really nice iron shot to an uphill green on #7 but then I choked the putt like Phil missing that eagle at the Masters after going through the trees years ago. Still, way better than the first round I had of the year and I always seem to play a little bit better when I watch a few random YouTube instructional videos before I play.

I shot a 74 at Pine Meadows today. My ball striking was good enough that the 35 degree weather and cold winds didn't matter nearly as much as I expected them to. I'm finding tons of fairways with my 917 D3 and iron play has been very crisp since I switched to my MP-4/5 combo.

Mizuno ST 190G w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 6S

Mizuno ST-Z 15° w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 7S

Mizuno ST-Z 18° w/ Fujikura Atmos Black TS 7S

Srixon ZX7 4-PW w/ Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

Taylormade MG 50°/54°/58° w/ Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Piretti Cottonwood II

Shot a +2 73 this morning. It was cold, windy, soggy, and it even snowed for a bit. Considering the conditions, I wasn't expecting to score really well, but I wasn't really happy with my iron play and my short game either. Some of it was just the incredibly soggy turf. I had a really hard time getting any chips/pitches remotely close to the hole because they just didn't roll out at all. It is really hard for me mentally to see a 30y pitch shot and carry it all the way to the flag. I hit a lot of really nice shots that came up 15-20 feet short.

Some highlights

1. I started off with a really nice birdie after a good drive & wedge to the middle and drained a 15 footer.

7. Reachable par 4, hit a nice high drive right at the flag but it just buried in some soggy ground about 15y in front of the green. On just about any other day, I'd be putting for eagle. Not today though. If I didn't know exactly where it landed, I don't think I would have ever found it, it was completely below the surface.

13. Tee shot was in a good position and I knocked one pretty close with an 8i. Made a nice little left to righter to get one back.

18. Another reachable par 4, perfect drive to the fringe just short of the green. Got negative roll on that one. 276 carry, 274 total :)

WITB
D - Taylormade SIM 2, Kuro Kage 60x
5w - Taylormade SIM 2 Max, HZRDUS Smoke RDX 70g 6.5

4h - Taylormade SIM Max, Speeder Tour Spec 9.3x

2i - Callaway XForged UT, Recoil ES 780 F5

5i-PW - Mizuno 921 HMP, Project X LZ 6.0

Wedges - Mizuno T20 49*, Taylormade TP EF 54*, Vokey 60* M Grind
Putter - Mizuno M-Craft V

Ball - Mizuno RB Tour X

a bit sloppy today, shot an 80. We did have some pretty good wind, gusts were a little crazy. 29 putts yesterday, 36 today.....ugh.

I had one hole I rather enjoyed. I hit last off the short par 4 5th hole (355), in my backswing, one of the guys was fumbling in his bag and dropped his keys on the path, kinda pulled up a little and hit it low, about 100 yds. He apologized up and down, they both said "just hit another", but I said "no worries", can make 4. I had 254 to the middle out of light rough, short of the fairway, and hit the SZ 3+ again, and on to the front part of the green, made a nice 2 putt for par from about 35 ft.

They both had under 100 in, one made double, the other made bogey, neither hit the green.

Funny game.

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

TSR3 24 AV Blue X-Link 75
T100s 6-G PX LZ
SM9 52/12/F-56/10/S TI S200 
Scotty Phantom 5.5
ProV1x

Had a decent round on Saturday. Played my home course which is a 7100 yard par 73 with a rating of 73.3 and a slope of 129.

Shot 78. Had an absolutely AWFUL front 9 of 43(!). This included a triple at a par 4 and two 3 putts.

Back 9 was awesome however, and was the best 9 I've ever played. 35 with a birdie and an eagle.

The eagle was on a par 5, where i hit a 3w from to 250 to about 4 feet for a tap in. One of the best shots I've ever hit.

Was disappointed obviously with the front but left feeling great about the back.

Golf is a strange game!

a bit sloppy today, shot an 80. We did have some pretty good wind, gusts were a little crazy. 29 putts yesterday, 36 today.....ugh.

I had one hole I rather enjoyed. I hit last off the short par 4 5th hole (355), in my backswing, one of the guys was fumbling in his bag and dropped his keys on the path, kinda pulled up a little and hit it low, about 100 yds. He apologized up and down, they both said "just hit another", but I said "no worries", can make 4. I had 254 to the middle out of light rough, short of the fairway, and hit the SZ 3+ again, and on to the front part of the green, made a nice 2 putt for par from about 35 ft.

They both had under 100 in, one made double, the other made bogey, neither hit the green.

Funny game.

I've got a few putters for sale. Only one putts left in them.

78; (42 + 36)

At least it was on the back 9 I played better. Makes me want to come back..... :golfer:

D - TaylorMade Stealth2 HD 9°, Tensei AV blue 65, x-flex
F - TaylorMade SIM2 15° & 19°, Tensei AV blue 65fw & 60, s-flex
H - TaylorMade SIM2 22°, Tensei AV blue 80hy, s-flex
I - Mizuno MP-20hmb, 5-PW, Dynamic Gold 120, S300
W - Mizuno T22, 50° 56° 62°, Dynamic Gold 120, S300
P - Mizuno M-craft OMOI 3
B - Vice Pro

35 degrees at tee time, 44 when i finished. too 2 hours and 45 minutes (i was the only one out there...)

shot a 97. 8 over on the front and... yeah, on the back... not sure what happened there. i blame the cold.

i'm struggling to get consistent, comfortable swings, making adjustments to my swing constantly etc. think i finally settled in. i hit two drives 265 and 280 (total, not carry) so i'm stoked about that.

the hot deal on golf now was for $12. about a bucket of balls. was way better practice than a buck of balls.

also, this course has a par 3 where it's an island. until today, i had never actually played this hole. i'll hit 3 balls into the water and then give up. i actually played it today. first try hit it within 12 feet. felt great.

Not too tremendously happy about this result. Started super cold with the big stick but calmed a bit, but the irons let me down until the back 9...

Was (and am) working on some new swing mechanics, starting with my grip, and had more 'awesome shots' than usual, only to see the aerated greens deceive me. Left about 5 or 6 putts wellllll short, leading to several three putts I normally wouldn't have...

Pleased with some progress made (beautiful 260+ yard drive to the center of the fairway, over the cliff on 13... VERY cool...) but still need to put it all together...

Sun Mountain 2017 4.5 LS 4-way Stand Bag

PING Anser 11°, Graphite Design Tour AD Black Di-6-X

Titleist 915Fd 15° 3W, Aldila Rogue Black 80-2.8-S

Wilson/Staff D-100 19° 3H, Matrix Ozik Altus 5.6-S

Adams Idea Black CB2 4-PW, KBS Tour 90-S

Nike VR Pro X3X 52/10 & 58/10, DG S400

Edel E-1

Played on Sunday. Weather was perfect. Bright and sunny, no wind, with a high of ~70. Played white tees about 6280 yards; greens were terrible and fairways were very firm. Took a triple on the first. Played the next 17 in -3 for a very solid 72. 14 GIR, 9/14 fairways, 30 putts. Nuked my index since I posted 71 and the women's course rating was more than 74. LOL!

Shot an 84 at Boone Links today, my best score at this course and only my second time breaking 90 (shot an 82 at Lassing Pointe last year).

A swing method I'd tried previously suddenly clicked last night at the driving range. Compared to how difficult this game has been for me to this point, this swing ALMOST feels like cheating.

Of course, being golf, I'm still a little disappointed because I left some shots out there (duffed pitches, missed putts, etc). LOL