2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

What Did You Shoot Today? (Continuation)

1t2golf

Played my usual course the other day, soft and soggy, 50s with very little wind... It was actually a really nice November day

Front 9 - Started off with a drive way right, left me with a blind 2nd from the thick rough. Stuck an 8i to about 8 feet and made the birdie. Good way to start the round. Lipped one out at 2 and another caught the edge at 3, got one to drop from about 5 feet at 4, very nearly started with 4 straight. A tough bogey at 5 (didn't even come close from about 4 feet), and pars at 6 & 7 left me in a pretty good spot (-1) heading into a straight par 5 and a short par 4. Didn't play the par 5 particularly well, but made par. The 9th tee shot was wildly left but long, left me with about 70y or so to the flag. Ended up leaving it well short and left me a 25 foot birdie. It looked good the whole, but spun out on the low side. I felt pretty good about turning at 1-under, but also quite frustrated at the 3 that nearly dropped... definitely had a chance to be a new low at this course.

Back 9 - Pretty boring 10th, driver in the fairway, 7i to the middle, easy 2 putt... the 11th was far more exciting. Driver WAY left, 5i back in play, wedge to 30 feet or so, dropped the birdie putt from 30. I'm feeling pretty good here at -2, but the 12th and 13th are the hardest holes on the course for me. I hit a decent drive on 12 but not real long, left me with 180y to a back pin where you really don't want to go long. I ended up taking 6 instead of 5 and it hit the green, but I had about 80 feet left. This green is tough, I've now got an 80 footer that probably breaks 10-12 feet left and goes up and over a ridge about 2/3 into the putt. I got a little worried about hitting it too long and running it way past and ended up leaving it really short. It didn't even make it up the ridge and rolled back down and left. Now I have a 30 foot putt coming up for par that breaks about 6 feet and it isn't much easier than the last. I hit a really good putt that caught a lot of the hole but spun out again. I walked up and went to tap in from about 2 feet. I still don't know what happened, but the ball went straight right and missed. I'm not sure if it was in a hole or something and just came out funny or if there was something on my ball/putter, but it probably missed by 5" from 2 feet. Nice 4-putt jackass. Back to Even. And VERY frustrated. After a pretty good drive on a really difficult driving hole, I had a 5i into the 13th green. I hit it perfectly, like I thought it might go in in perfectly, but it is uphill and you can't see the surface from there. I get up to the green and the ball is nowhere to be found. I had completely airmailed the green and now I have a really tough chip with the green running away and not much room to work with. I hit a decent chip but it just ran out a little more that I'd like and I had a 8 foot putt for par. I hit a good putt but it didn't drop and now I'm at +1. Another bogey at the 100y 14th and I'm losing it at this point. I just went +4 in 3 holes. Luckily, there was a wait at the 15th tee and I got a chance to calm myself down a bit. I hit a good drive and a really good approach and I've got 12 feet for birdie. Lipped out again. WTF!?!?! 16th is a little par 3 and I hit it to about 15 feet. Another good putt in the heart but 1/2" short... My buddy just starts laughing, like how can this happen so many times in one round. Boring 17th (fw/green/2-putt) and I'm headed to the par 5 18th. All I'm thinking at this point is eagle. I'm due for something good to happen. Driver down the middle, left me 244y to a back flag. I hit a near perfect 3w on the exact line I was looking for and it hits the front of the green and just rolls out a little farther than I had hoped, just off the back edge. Still, I have an easy chip for eagle and I'm thinking about nothing but making this thing. I hit a good chip, great line, it's going in... I know it. I've got the club in the air walking after it like I've just won the open or something... and it takes a little right turn at the end and just misses. 6" birdie and a nice 73.

I felt like I just played one of the best rounds of my life and I'm over par. I didn't drive the ball all that well, but had a decent day. Iron play was really good. I hit a lot of good putts, but didn't get a ton to drop.

Some #s

8/14 fairways

15/18 greens

34 putts

4 birdies (from 8', 5', 30' and 6")

3 bogeys & a 4-putt double

4 putts that spun out and one that was 1/2 a ball short

I know that it is useless to play the "if I had" game, but I felt like I played well enough to shoot in the 60s, just didn't seem to catch any breaks. And I shot myself in the foot with that 4-putt

WITB
D - Taylormade SIM 2, Kuro Kage 60x
5w - Taylormade SIM 2 Max, HZRDUS Smoke RDX 70g 6.5

4h - Taylormade SIM Max, Speeder Tour Spec 9.3x

2i - Callaway XForged UT, Recoil ES 780 F5

5i-PW - Mizuno 921 HMP, Project X LZ 6.0

Wedges - Mizuno T20 49*, Taylormade TP EF 54*, Vokey 60* M Grind
Putter - Mizuno M-Craft V

Ball - Mizuno RB Tour X

Brought my one year old son in a stroller and could only play nine, shot 36, par 35. After a lot of soul searching and many hours on the range it was nice to see that there is a future for my game.

Hey chopper, what are you hitting there?
Callaway Rouge Sub Zero 9°
TM SLDR S 17° 4-wood
Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 21° driving iron

Dynacraft (?) 24° 4-iron
Titleist AP2 710 5-pw
Wilson FG Tour PMP 52, 56, 60­°
Rife 460 Tour Blade

After how long does being "out of form" turn into "a bad golfer"?

I'm working hard to break the bogey-golf barrier and feel like I'm getting really close.

Played 27 holes at Boone Links today (Lakeview-Brookview-Lakeview).

Started off pretty rough with a 52 (5-singles, 2-doubles, 1-triple,1-quad. 4 penalty strokes (2 OB's), 1-three putt).

Played a little better with a 48 on the second 9 (2-pars, 3-singles, 3-doubles, 1-triple. 2 penalty strokes (1 OB), 2-three putts).

Had time for another 9 so decided to play Lakeview again since I played it the worst the first time around. Didn't realize until after the round I was only 6 over after 8 holes. Didn't matter since I pulled my drive just left of the OB markers, hit my second drive just in the right rough and hacked my way to the green from there for a quad to finish with a 46 (3-pars, 4-singles, 1-double, 1-quad. 2 penalty strokes (1 OB) 0-three putts).

100 on the nose 51/49 (11-25-16). 45* and windy in Virginia's blue ridge. Despite the score, I was pretty happy overall. I hadn't walked a course alone since my college days, and I'd forgotten how pleasant that experience was. Colder weather meant I had the course pretty much to myself, teeing off at 1:15.

This day it was the putting that killed me. My JPX 825 irons that I had been iffy about are really starting to come on and I hit them very well. Driver play was okay... some good ones, some bad ones. But the putting!!!!! I had 6 putts rim out, including 4 that were from longer than 20'. Good day on the long game, but couldn't capitalize on the greens. Score card littered with 3 putts.

a triple doesn't help. had some chipping woes around the greens on a few holes which led to bogeys and doubles. got an eagle on 10 though. decent drive in the fairway and spanked my 3W to about 15ft and drained it! was the highlight of the round. need to work on chipping off thin lies close to the hole which has always given me troubles and approach shots need to at least give me a putting chance on the dance floor. i shot in the high 70's low 80's at this course consistent.

You get an "A" for neat & pretty card. :beach:

I stunk it up the other day with an 82.

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° GD Tour AD-VF 74S
  • 718 T-MB 17 2i° Tensei AV White Am2 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-PW MMT 105S
  • SM10 F52/12, T58/4, DG200 127S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or AVX

Muddy day yesterday, cart path only. 77 with no birdies.

[font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif]Driver: Yonex Ezone 380 9*
Fairway: Tour Edge cb5 15*
Hybrid: Tour Edge cb5 19*
Irons: Hogan Ft Worth (15) 21*, 25*, 29*, 33*, 37*, 41*, 45*
Wedges: Hogan TK 49*, 53*, 57*
Putter: 2007 Odyssey Black #1
Bag: PING Hoofer[/font]

Played 27 holes this afternoon (I still have a LOT of PTO to burn).

Back +17: 2 pars, 1 bogey, 2 doubles, 4 triples. 4 three-putts, 1 four-putt, 2 penalty strokes

Front +15: 1 par, 5 bogeys, 2 doubles, 1 6-bogey. 4 three-putts, 6 penalty strokes.

Front +11: 2 pars, 4 bogeys, 2 doubles, 1 5-bogey (same hole as the 6-bogey above). 2 three-putts, 3 penalty strokes.

Golf is hard (at least for me).

• 2 weeks later...

absolutely tremendous... SLAG.

couldn't hit a barn with an elephant today. worst round in about a year or more, first century gainer in 10 months, seven 3-putts...

And my driving was better?! WTF?!

didn't blow my top, just could not get distance control or an approach to actually sail when I needed it. just weird and gawd awful...

Sun Mountain 2017 4.5 LS 4-way Stand Bag

PING Anser 11°, Graphite Design Tour AD Black Di-6-X

Titleist 915Fd 15° 3W, Aldila Rogue Black 80-2.8-S

Wilson/Staff D-100 19° 3H, Matrix Ozik Altus 5.6-S

Adams Idea Black CB2 4-PW, KBS Tour 90-S

Nike VR Pro X3X 52/10 & 58/10, DG S400

Edel E-1

Got a chance to get out for a twilight round the other day on a very cold and mildly windy day. High temp for the day was about 38, but it was great to get out on the course as it has been hard to do lately. I played 2 balls on the front 9 as I wanted to test out the Kirkland ball alongside my Duo Spin.

Duo Spin ball

I hit this a lot better overall, hitting 6/10 fairways and 8/13 greens. I had 20 putts in 13 holes and shot a 34 on the front (-1) with 4 pars on the back before it got dark. I gave myself some really good looks at birdie but managed to make only 2 of them to go with 1 bogey (missed green on the short side).

Kirkland ball

I only played 9 with the Kirkland ball and it was a pretty interesting 9. I hit 4/7 fairways with the 3 misses being first cut left, way right into the next fairway, and first cut left. All in all, I thought this ball performed very well off the tee. As far as distance goes, it was maybe a couple yards longer off the tee on average than my Duo Spin, but I didn't have as much luck controlling distance with the irons and wedges. I only hit 2/9 greens, but also managed to have only 10 putts so the short game was working.

WITB

Ball - Mizuno RB Tour X

We had a weather anomaly yesterday and we went out to play (took my son, he doesn't play but is interested, US Marine visiting from Okinawa, haven't seen him in 2 years) shot 75, got on a 3 hole bogey train, finally got off with a par...36-39..

DRIVER: Callaway AI Smoke TD 10.5*, Ventus TR Blue 6TX at 45"
3 WOOD: Callaway Paradym HL 16.5*, Diamana Flower Band White, D+ 82X Flex, tipped 1" at 42"
7 WOOD: Callaway Paradym 21*, Tensei AV white 75g S Flex, tipped 1" at 41"

IRONS: Callaway Apex MB 7-10, CB 4-6 -- DG TI S400

WEDGES: Callaway JAWS Raw 50, 54, 58 -- DG TI S400
PUTTER: SC Phantom 5, Stability Shaft, 33.25", Garsen Quad Tour grip (Toulon Chicago as back up)
BALL: Callaway CT X (current gamer), Srixon Diamond, -ProV1X and ProV1

Second men's club team play tryouts. Range closed due to heavy rain and cold (for SoCal,45*) lead to a double (MASSIVE snap hook for my tee shot), bogey, bogey, par, bogey start. Turned it around from number 6 on and shot a respectable 74 (I think it was low round of the day again). Lost my match 3&2 but nothing to be ashamed of. My opponent dropped 4 birdies in on me on the back nine including two long range chip ins. Very pleased with my play. Can't wait for January 14th.

TM M2 2017 10.5 Hzrdus Yellow 65 S
Ping G400 14.5 PING Tour 80g S
Ping Anser 17* 23* PING Tour  S
PING iE1 5-PW Modus3 105 S
PING Glide 2.0 50* 54* 60* Modus 115 Wedge S
BioMech 41"
NDMC Plus 4
ProV1

Played 9 today. Haven't been able to play much at all the last couple of months so good to get out and knock some rust off. Not really sure what I shot as I hit several balls on each hole. Mainly a practice session. Will play with my old group tomorrow so will get a good idea how my game stacks up.

My senior bag.......

Taylormade Sim Max  9* driver reg
Callaway Rogue 3 & 5 fw woods reg
Callaway Rogue X 4 & 5 hybrids reg
Sub 70 699 pro's 6-pw
Ping Glide 50*, 54* & 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2 ball putter
Sub 70 Staff bag

Well, I managed to triple 18 today for a nice 79. Argh!

That's a 79 with two 3 putts, a double and a triple.......

Index is 8.3, making me a 10 on this course.

Missed at least 4 birdie putts within 15 feet......

All in all a good round, but geez, that triple a the end left a bad taste.......

Rogue ST Max LS or Paradym 10.5 (9.5) Ventus TR 5 R

Paradym 3HL  NVS 65 R
AI Smoke 21* and 24*
PXG GEN6 XP 2X Black 6-GW MMT 6 or AI Smoke 6-GW Tensei white 75 R

PM Grind 2.0 54 and 58

Bettinardi Innovai Rev 6.0  33” 

E.R.C. Soft TT/ Chrome Soft TT / TM Tour Response '20

I got out for a cold twilight the other day. It was 34 degrees but sunny and very little wind, beautiful day. The course was soggy as soon as you stepped off the fairway or green, but the fairways and greens were in great shape. I played 15 holes in 1-under before it got dark and was very pleased with everything but my putting. I hit 9/12 fairways and the misses weren't bad. All left and none in trouble. I hit 12/15 greens and was really pleased with my ball striking. The 3 misses were on the fringe and I was still putting.

However, putting was a little rough. It wasn't really bad, I just didn't make much outside of gimme range.

1 - Lipped out from 12 feet

2 - Completely misread the putt and missed the hole completely from 6 feet

3 - Lipped out from just off the green

5 - Misread another one and missed an 8 foot bird badly

6 - Had a 10 footer spin out, more than a 180* on that one

8 - 3 putted from 25 feet

11 - Missed a 6 footer, though it was a really difficult 6 foot putt that I couldn't be aggressive with.

I did have a couple birdies to go with the 1 bogey

10 - Finally made a birdie after dropping one from 40 feet or so

12 - Approach from 176y nearly went in, leaving less that a foot for bird

And I caught a bad break on one hole where I hit the flag on the fly from about 60y and bounced back quite a ways leaving a 20+ foot putt instead of one likely inside 5 feet. All in all, very happy with my last round of the year. It was really nice to get out one last time and I ended the year with 3 of my last 4 rounds under par.

WITB

Ball - Mizuno RB Tour X

• 1 month later...

Best "Worst Day" EVER...

started pretty great. par, birdie and another chance for birdie on 3 but quite literally lost my mind and pushed it past the hole for a 3-putt bogey... and the melt down commenced...

I lost FIVE BALLS on two holes, including the two provisionals... ended up shooting a +23/95... but it was a new course for me, super grateful to play it and may do a temp guest membership there.

Beautiful course, fairways in great condition, but the greens and tee boxes need some love...

Sun Mountain 2017 4.5 LS 4-way Stand Bag

PING Anser 11°, Graphite Design Tour AD Black Di-6-X

Titleist 915Fd 15° 3W, Aldila Rogue Black 80-2.8-S

Wilson/Staff D-100 19° 3H, Matrix Ozik Altus 5.6-S

Adams Idea Black CB2 4-PW, KBS Tour 90-S

Nike VR Pro X3X 52/10 & 58/10, DG S400

Edel E-1