2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

MD/VA/DC Golfers - Ten Seconds or Less

eagle1997

You guys played today? Good on ya. I had the day off and never gave it a thought.

Went to the golf show, wasted $12 to get in. Gross.

Spent the rest of the day chasing beer, filling growlers at Ocelot and Aslin.

m

Was the golf show that bad? Found some good deals last year and was planning on going tomorrow.

Yeah same here, planning on going in the morning. I find some things here and there, but go to just look around…..at the very least I feel the subscription to the magazine for entry fee equals itself out.

TSR2  | Original One Mini |Apex UW 19

Nike Vapor Speed 4i | 5-GW T100S Black 

SM8 Black 54* / 60*

Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

WITB

Was actually planning on skipping the golf show this year but a buddy of mine suggested we go so I guess I am headed up there tomorrow.

Interested to hear reviews from people who have gone already. Tex pointed out that all of the "games" (putting contest, long drive, hole in one) and the demo range are all free this year. The putting contest still pays out cash apparently.

I don't have anything I am looking for specifically which means I will probably end up with something dumb like my $10 Vokey from last year (that Kent now owns).

Anybody going to be there tomorrow in the 10-12 range?

Callaway GBB Epic Flash 9*
Callaway GBB Epic Flash 15* 
Callaway Epic 2H Recoil Black 780 ES F4
Callaway Rogue Pro Black 4-AW Recoil 110 F4
Callaway JAWS Full Face 54* Recoil 110 F4
Callaway PM Grind Black 60* KBS Tour V Stiff
MACHINE Damascus M4
BestGrips MicroPerf grips 

Not planning to attend the show. I know my weekend will consist of laundry, practice cuts with the training club, and maybe a few swings of the new drivers for shiggles.

Titleist TS2, 9.5, Tensei AV Series Blue 55
Titleist 917 F2, 16.5, Diamana LTD M+ Red 60
Titleist 818 H1, 23, Tensei Red AMC
Titleist 718 AP2's, 5-PW, AMT White S300
Vokey SM7, Tour Chrome, 50 (F), 54 (M), and 58 (D)
Scotty Cameron Studio Style Newport 1.5
Ball choice: ProV1x

Hey, I also stream! Check it out if you want! https://www.twitch.tv/scottwsmith

Was actually planning on skipping the golf show this year but a buddy of mine suggested we go so I guess I am headed up there tomorrow.

Interested to hear reviews from people who have gone already. Tex pointed out that all of the "games" (putting contest, long drive, hole in one) and the demo range are all free this year. The putting contest still pays out cash apparently.

I don't have anything I am looking for specifically which means I will probably end up with something dumb like my $10 Vokey from last year (that Kent now owns).

Unfortunately, I have my son's basketball game at 9am and can't justify hauling two kids down to Chantilly from NW B-more, shell out $12 to enter, drive home, get myself and the kids to go to synagogue merely on the hopes of meeting some internet SuperFriends and a couple of decent deals that I don't need to waste my cash on.

No wonder they stopped coming up to the Maryland Fairgrounds a couple years back. Good to hear about the free "skillz" challenges.

I'll be there right when it opens. Even on years it's totally sucked it's sort of a tradition for my brother and I to go. Grab breakfast and then walk around for an hour. At the very least I like to grab some Bandon fliers and poke through the used putters.

OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Ventus Blue Velocore+ 7s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TM P7MC 5-7 / P7MB 8-P // Incoming: Ping I230/Blueprint S/T
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom // Left Dash

I spent about 45 minutes hitting putters in Golf Galaxy yesterday. I was on the lookout for a mid-mallet, or a wide-flange anser style putter.

The putter I was most interested in hitting was the SC Newport M2, which is the replacement for the Squareback. I was really surprised to see how gigantic the putter was. They still had a Squareback in the store, so I could get a good comparison. The M2 was much longer from heel to toe. It was almost so big that it was kinda awkward to swing. Very disappointing. The squareback is a better putter, IMO.

I hit pretty much everything remotely matching what I was looking for. I didn't care for the feel and balance of the odyssey works 1w, but I very much enjoyed rolling the older versa wbw 1w. I didn't seem to have much luck lining up to my target well with it though. Otherwise, it'd have been a serious contender. None of the PING putters really worked out all that well. The Ketsch Mid is pretty nice, but I mentally scarred myself from being able to play any variant of the Ketsch. There was a Cleveland mid-mallet that was pretty nice. I think it was the Huntington Beach series or something. I wasn't a huge fan of any of the new milled putters from TaylorMade.

The surprise star of the day was the SC Newport M1, which is just a continuation of the Fastback head style. It's face balanced, which isn't typical for me, but maybe seems to fit the stroke I'm working towards. It feels very well balanced when I swing it, and I was getting the ball rolling very nicely on my intended line.

The rest of the story is no surprise. I checked eBay when i got home, to see what was available. I went straight to the '14 Fastback model, since it's basically the same exact head (unlike the SB to M2 change). I found one in the right length, brand new, for a good price. Checked the PayPal balance, and $55 out of pocket later, I've got a new putter on the way.

Wagering on how long it lasts opens next week when the putter arrives lol.

on how long it lasts opens next week when the putter arrives lol.

You may have been aware / not care now since you just purchased one:

There is the older rendition of the Squareback (Squreback 2) that is a short blade, wide flange, with a plumbers neck. Really nice putter if it fits your stroke.

TM TI M2 - Yellow HZRDUS HC 6.5
XR16 5w - Speeder 757
Taylormade CB 3-AW
Vokey 254, 258
Taylormade Spider Tour Black

on how long it lasts opens next week when the putter arrives lol.

You may have been aware / not care now since you just purchased one:

There is the older rendition of the Squareback (Squreback 2) that is a short blade, wide flange, with a plumbers neck. Really nice putter if it fits your stroke.

I'm aware. Not really a big fan of that version. The '14 Squareback is nice, but the fastback just seemed to work the best.

But did you do it just fo' shiggles?

This was definitely not for the shiggles. I was on a mission to find a putter.

Something I just don't understand is when people get on Rory, Tiger, Day, etc. for being in the gym. Golf has to be the only sport where people criticize you for building muscle and getting in better shape. It's not like they are in there like oh that lift looks cool let me try that. They pay smart people to train them and watch their every move.

Tiger's seal training is a completely different story though. He did some crazy stuff.

Well, decided to go to Golf Galaxy in Rockville. Wanted to try out the new EPIC and the TaylorMade offerings. Was able to procure a bay and got some cuts in. First was the Epic with the Hazardous. Felt solid off the head. Then tried the M2 with the stock Fujikura. A few shiggles later, the guy handed me the new Mizuno driver. Not much better with the speeder.

Went back to the Epic, and after 3 cuts asked if there were any other shafts. Dude finds a Fujikura and swaps shafts. Better dispersion, so went out, grabbed my Fusion, grabbed the F6 fairway and went back in. Fusion was a touch further, but the Epic was more consistent with dispersion.

Traded in the Fusion, the F6, add the Gift Card and I now own an Epic.

Titleist TS2, 9.5, Tensei AV Series Blue 55
Titleist 917 F2, 16.5, Diamana LTD M+ Red 60
Titleist 818 H1, 23, Tensei Red AMC
Titleist 718 AP2's, 5-PW, AMT White S300
Vokey SM7, Tour Chrome, 50 (F), 54 (M), and 58 (D)
Scotty Cameron Studio Style Newport 1.5
Ball choice: ProV1x

Hey, I also stream! Check it out if you want! https://www.twitch.tv/scottwsmith

Confirmed the golf show was a waste lol. Oh well, something to do. Best thing besides seeing tragic middle aged white men in full loudmouth attire and people in legit golf cleats, I saw was a basically brand new 9.5 answer driver for 45 bucks.

In other news, I need some advice. Trying to fill a gap in the bag, between my mini and UDI, so about a 2hybrid or 3-5 ish range. The UDI tops out about 230, and more often then not in that 210-220 range. Id like another option from the fairway other than the mini. I found a M1 3hl with a green oban, that was tempting……is 159 a good price for that?

Testing and comfort aside from me, what would you guys go to in order to fill that void if it was in your bag? I used to use a 2 hybrid until I sold it and haven't found one I really like again yet, and I was wondering if a wood would be a more versatile club for me. Id probably use it from the fairway/tee/rough so it needs to be versatile af.

TSR2  | Original One Mini |Apex UW 19

Nike Vapor Speed 4i | 5-GW T100S Black 

SM8 Black 54* / 60*

Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

WITB

Watching Ahnold in Commando. He just dusted about a hundred guys without getting a scratch. Standing out in the open, firing away. The other guys laying down constant fire, but can't hit him. He, on the other hand, never misses. Quality Saturday morning TV

that run he went on between 82 and about 95 was just epic. Cant even remember all of them, but commando, predator, total recall, running man, terminators, true lies. And I was like 10-20 years old during that stretch. So just right in my wheel house.

Last action hero was great too.

Ping G400 LST 10º XTORSION Copper 60
RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX-900 Forged 4I-GW
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Vokey 60º/04º. "The Scalpel"
Odyssey Stroke Lab Black Ten
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

I tried to bring the heat with my Golf Galaxy post, then 827 jumps in here and just smashes me with a vintage recap.

Grabbing a bay to take some cuts - check.

A trip out to the car to grab some clubs for a comparison - check.

Walking out a new man, with a new driver - check.

Shiggles - check.

When it comes to golf store trip recaps, 827 is the GoAT.

Watching Ahnold in Commando. He just dusted about a hundred guys without getting a scratch. Standing out in the open, firing away. The other guys laying down constant fire, but can't hit him. He, on the other hand, never misses. Quality Saturday morning TV

that run he went on between 82 and about 95 was just epic. Cant even remember all of them, but commando, predator, total recall, running man, terminators, true lies. And I was like 10-20 years old during that stretch. So just right in my wheel house.

Last action hero was great too.

Predator = GOAT

Btw, don't forget this classic...

Cobra King LTD 9*, Fujikura Ventus TR Red 6X
Cobra King Tec 17*, Fujikura Axiom 105S

Adams A12 19*, Diamana Thump X
TM TP MC/MB, Fujikura Axiom 105S 
Vokey 250.08, SM9 54-S & 60-V, DG S400
Toulon Palm Beach

This whole Instagram thing brings a whole new level to the thread.

Like how last night Abb was instagraming about his putting practice and the instructor that fixed him is talking about Indian not the Arrow. Then this morning he heads out and buys a new Scotty Cameron.

Great stuff.

Between this and Citys artistry it's been a great week on the gram...

Saw dagoose at the show this morning. Picked up a headcover and a couple other small things. Talked to the travel guys about a trip to Ireland and Scotland next year. In and out in about an hour, pretty much as expected.

OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Ventus Blue Velocore+ 7s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TM P7MC 5-7 / P7MB 8-P // Incoming: Ping I230/Blueprint S/T
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom // Left Dash

In other news, I need some advice. Trying to fill a gap in the bag, between my mini and UDI, so about a 2hybrid or 3-5 ish range. The UDI tops out about 230, and more often then not in that 210-220 range. Id like another option from the fairway other than the mini. I found a M1 3hl with a green oban, that was tempting……is 159 a good price for that?

Testing and comfort aside from me, what would you guys go to in order to fill that void if it was in your bag? I used to use a 2 hybrid until I sold it and haven't found one I really like again yet, and I was wondering if a wood would be a more versatile club for me. Id probably use it from the fairway/tee/rough so it needs to be versatile af.

I know a guy who has a like new F6 Baffler condemned to the "extras" bag. With Aldila Tour Blue 85X.

I'm offering no input on that part of the bag, having gone through about 50 clubs there now.

Toulon Palm Beach

This whole Instagram thing brings a whole new level to the thread.

Like how last night Abb was instagraming about his putting practice and the instructor that fixed him is talking about Indian not the Arrow. Then this morning he heads out and buys a new Scotty Cameron.

Great stuff.

Between this and Citys artistry it's been a great week on the gram...

Saw dagoose at the show this morning. Picked up a headcover and a couple other small things. Talked to the travel guys about a trip to Ireland and Scotland next year. In and out in about an hour, pretty much as expected.

Stop by the Tobacco Rd booth at all? That was one of the few reasons I was curious to attend, but after reading all the comments, I'm just going to buy more beer. Well, and get some ingredients to make chili for tomorrow.

Toulon Palm Beach

I gotta put the shoes up here. If for nothing else so Kent can enjoy them. He doesn't know what Instagrams are.

Ping G400 LST 10º XTORSION Copper 60
RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX-900 Forged 4I-GW
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Vokey 60º/04º. "The Scalpel"
Odyssey Stroke Lab Black Ten
Oncore Elixir Neon Green