MD/VA/DC Golfers - Ten Seconds or Less

eagle1997

Ah yes, more memories of Wednesday's event....

This was one of the first things that greeted me. Such a sweet course.

34135629366_6a2fd6339c_h.jpg

More to follow.

Cobra King LTD 9*, Fujikura Ventus TR Red 6X
Cobra King Tec 17*, Fujikura Axiom 105S

Adams A12 19*, Diamana Thump X
TM TP MC/MB, Fujikura Axiom 105S 
Vokey 250.08, SM9 54-S & 60-V, DG S400
Toulon Palm Beach

Something about Wednesday kind of triggered a "pet peeve" of mine.

In almost any tournament you showed up at, if a guy who was a 9 shot an even par round, what's the first thing you'd hear from everyone?

"Sandbagger. Sandbagger. No WAY that happens."

But, I bring it up to illustrate a point. . .you need a lot more than ONE ROUND of golf to know if a guy is a sandbagger. We all know Domes isn't a bagger. He posts his scores. He's probably a little high right now (index wise), but he's up and down like anyone. He's going to be lower this year. He's probably actually more like a 5, and he shot 72 on a CR 69 course, so it's not even as low as it seems at first blush.

All those caveats. . .those are often the case with people. Like, the differential isn't as much as it seems. The golfer's cap is a little high that day, and he got a couple more putts to go in.

Like I said, it's sort of a pet peeve of mine whenever someone shoots a round like that and the first thing everyone thinks is "bagger". If you showed up at like a SGA tournament and someone did that, imagine the hue and cry that would be raised.

Ping G400 LST 10º XTORSION Copper 60
RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX-900 Forged 4I-GW
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Vokey 60º/04º. "The Scalpel"
Odyssey Stroke Lab Black Ten
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

I think someone else already said it, but one thing about Whiskey that's a step above most places I've played is the routing and clubhouse location. Loved it. Especially when you are doing an event like that, it's awesome to sit in the clubhouse and be able to watch people come down 9 and 18. There aren't enough courses that have that. It's something I haven't even thought about in awhile until playing Whiskey, because I got so used to not having it. Most of the courses I play don't even have a good look at 18, never mind 9 and 18.

I think someone else already said it, but one thing about Whiskey that's a step above most places I've played is the routing and clubhouse location. Loved it. Especially when you are doing an event like that, it's awesome to sit in the clubhouse and be able to watch people come down 9 and 18. There aren't enough courses that have that. It's something I haven't even thought about in awhile until playing Whiskey, because I got so used to not having it. Most of the courses I play don't even have a good look at 18, never mind 9 and 18.

It was cool putting out on 18 while Eagle's group teed off on 1. You don't get that everywhere.

Ping G400 LST 10º XTORSION Copper 60
RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX-900 Forged 4I-GW
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Vokey 60º/04º. "The Scalpel"
Odyssey Stroke Lab Black Ten
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

In almost any tournament you showed up at, if a guy who was a 9 shot an even par round, what's the first thing you'd hear from everyone?

Definitely a product of circumstance for me. It's not my gut reaction in every situation, but it definitely is sometimes.

Show up at a club event, where everybody knows everybody, and I don't think that kinda thing happens as much. Domes shows up and drops a 72, we're all pumped. Dagoose was solo or tied for low net for the first two events of this season. Do any of us think he's sandbagging us? No. We're playing for a whopping $50 top prize. Do I think anybody is petty enough to sandbag their cap just show up to an event full of friends and win $50? No.

Show up to a net event full of strangers with a decent cash prize on the line and clean up? I'm getting a bit skeptical. Have a guest come to a member guest, particularly when there's a big calcutta, and clean up? That usually means coming out and playing multiple rounds with great net scores. Yeah, I'm feeling skeptical.

Have a guest come to a member guest, particularly when there's a big calcutta, and clean up? That usually means coming out and playing multiple rounds with great net scores. Yeah, I'm feeling skeptical.

Fabb talking smack about you VTNerf....

Hive Tour Titles: 0
Capitol Cup Singles Record: Undefeated.
Suck it, Ceejay.

Have a guest come to a member guest, particularly when there's a big calcutta, and clean up? That usually means coming out and playing multiple rounds with great net scores. Yeah, I'm feeling skeptical.

Fabb talking smack about you VTNerf....

We played with Fabb. He knows we aren't baggers. (And until this past year, there was no cleaning up on our part...)

I just get hyped for crystal. Dropping birds on em!

Domes is definitely a sand bagger.

Work is swallowing me up. So... Wednesday was great. That limb on 4 needed to be cut down. Everyone's saying what limb, PQ. The black tees on 3, 4, 5, 8, 14, and 15 felt like a different universe. I kind of wish I had played blue tees to get into the mix, but it was my putting that was the issue. I've been putting like the worst bits of Sergio and Michelle Wie. It's penetrating my already weak mental game. Missed 3 putts inside of 5 feet the first 18, and two the second 18 with a few hard lip outs.

JBang has much potential. I suggest tying rope from your cap to your c0ck on wedge shots. Maybe you'll quit coming up and out. That being said, maybe that will encourage up and out since you knew the Kink reference.

Ramesh, had no idea he made up so many shots the second 18, but he gave a tiger-esque (circa 2000) fist pump after sinking a putt late in the round; now I get it. He made EVERYTHING.

Foghorn Leghorn (Freezy) started out strong. then he started trying to samurai chops the ball. Great maneuver for the ninja world, but not golf. Always a good time. I talked during his swing all day, so I guess I will take some blame for his bad moments.

I don't love Whiskey. I actually think PB Dye and Worthington are more fun, but the scenery at Whiskey is top notch.

Birdieing 18 in front my my wife and fellow disaster was something I will never forget.

Curious about City's take, but Emma didn't rock my world. She was a'ight. I do wish Boogs had been there. Feel like we missed out on some A+++ lines.

Titleist 917D2 (8.5), OG Whiteboard 73
Callaway Steelhead Fd (15), Diamana D+ 80
Titleist 816H1 (19), Diamana D+ 90
Titleist 712 MB 4-PW, TTDG X100
Vokey SM5 50, 54, 58, TTDG S300
Cameron Newport, 34"

Abb poo-poo's 50 bucks like he literally poo-poo's 50 bucks.

50 bucks is nice, but I don't think it's enough money to motivate any remotely decent person to d1ck over their friends for.

Agreed, but you'd be surprised how many non-decent people are out there. They exist at every club (except for this one...seriously). And they're not necessarily dicking over their friends, because they don't have many friends. They are "tolerated" by other people. They just want pro-shop credit.

Belated recap from the morning round of the TRU event, also to be known as Domes Day.

First person I recognized was GMen in the parking lot, but had no idea he just had heart surgery, so GMen, my apologies, and it is great to see you back out and at it.

As I said previously, such a great group; Bayrat, Domes, and City. Started out with 4 GIRs from the group, but only Domes made par, and that was in some way fitting of the theme for the rest of the day, especially for me. Domes hit the ball pretty solidly all day, mostly staying out of the trouble off the tee and hitting a lot of greens. Knee surgery or not, he gets the face back to the ball really well, and again, didn't miss big. Or miss much. Seemed like he was making every putt and frutt he looked at. He's clearly a good player to begin with, but his putting game also has me thinking about those EVNROLL putters that I was interested in even before Wednesday. Good cart mate and just a good guy to talk to, and we even spent a little time reminiscing about jumbo slice pizza nights (a long time ago for me) at Adams Morgan. Glad I could keep his mind on/off the great score he had going. Loved watching him needle City (in a goodway) now and then. City did City things. I always enjoy the chatter and commentary. Hit many solid shots, but was a little off on his approaches and putting. Still managed to grind out a respectable score, from what I could see. Glad Bayrat joined us and hopefully he'll be back. Super nice guy and fits right in with the crazies... I mean... the group. Got a really good game too, fairways and greens all day, and if that putter ever gets hot, it'll be lights out. And keep that R7 TP or whatever that is. It's money.

Highlights and lowlights

#1 Domes had the only 2-putt par on a pretty bumpy green. The rest of us miss from 3-4 feet.

#2 IIRC Rat makes an awesome 2-putt from the front of the green to a tucked back pin. I missed another 4-footer.

#3 City chatter revs up. From 50 yards in front of us "HEY DOMES, DO I LOOK TALLER THESE DAYS???". I get my first and only CTP measurement (that obviously didn't hold up).

#4 City lays up perfectly but ends up in a divot, but gouges it out, gets up and down for par. Domes, Rat, and I birdie - Domes gets up and down from ~20 yards, making a good putt, Bayrat hits a nice pitch to kick in range, I make a frutt.

#5 My best drive of the day, straight down the tree line to maybe 20 feet (playing whites). Eagle putt looks in on the low side, but still tap-in bird.

#6 Domes makes downhiller from second cut behind the hole. Bananas. I do my best Kevin Na impersonation from the trees on the right. To paraphrase Seve, I miss, I miss, I miss, I miss, I miss, I in fairway. Nice 3-putt to cap off the Quint.

#7 Those 3 guys pepper the flag. I pull hook a 50* wedge from 105 about 40 yards left of the hole.

#8 Tough pin but Bayrat gets up and down for birdie. I hit a drive slightly off the toe, but online, that ends up front left of the green. Miss another 3 footer, this time for birdie. Argh.

#9 Domes nails drive over the tree to like 160 from the green. I almost hit mine into the range, but have a line in and hit a solid shot from 170 to hit the green for 2-putt birdie.

*break*

So yeah, I almost went birdie-birdie-quint-birdie-birdie.

#10 I pull hook drive left, re-tee, make triple. Self destruct sequence initiated. Previously posted Quote of the Day happens on 10th tee, re: Tom Kite's magical advice to City.

#11 Domes and Rat hit sweet shots to contend for CTP, Domes narrowly closer and makes the bird.

#12 Fun hole, I hit solid hybrid and PW for a nice GIR. City and Domes discuss $1 per hole bet.

#13 Crazy pin placement. I hit a solid drive to 110 in right rough, ball above feet, to a right pin, and I hit 40 yards left again past the cart path. Nice 1 pitch 3-putt double.

#14 I tell Domes the plan is aim over the tree right and hit it straight or even right to take the water out of play. Domes does so, makes birdie. Immediately following giving said tip, I aim down the middle of the fairway hit sweet draw into the water.

#15 City hits a nice looking shot that he says is "a groove and half too low" and Rat says "As opposed to a groove and a quarter too low?"

#16 Domes hits a sweet wedge from 100ish to like 4 feet for another birdie. City gets up and down from long and left, impossible, but he did it.

#17 I nail my second best drive of the day here to the "CARTS" sign on the left, 60 yards from the green. Pitch it on, run the birdie putt maybe 2.5 feet past, and 3 putt from there. Self destruct sequence complete.

#18 I nail drive, put a solid second pin high into the right trap, but hit a nice bunker shot for up n down birdie. Rat hits his second short of the green but his pitch almost hits the hole and he makes birdie. Domes nearly hits it into the ruins right but he has a nice opening and is able to punch it down the fairway. The rest, as they say, is history.

TU_fLH.gif

Toulon Palm Beach

Oh right... the pichers... didn't get many though.

5th tee

33791558570_7168517b39_b.jpg

My drive on the 5th

33791558180_cf8f0da1d6_b.jpg

11th

34176107645_c798572bef_b.jpg

14th

34135629646_ea5e4904d4_b.jpg

Bayrat with his best Justin Thomas impersonation on 18

33365603843_d5e429dac3_b.jpg

Cityaction on 18th

33333642394_cc87b8709b_b.jpg

Domes out of the ruins, into even par

34045153921_fdd5f2c561_b.jpg

Toulon Palm Beach

Domes is definitely a sand bagger.

Work is swallowing me up. So... Wednesday was great. That limb on 4 needed to be cut down. Everyone's saying what limb, PQ. The black tees on 3, 4, 5, 8, 14, and 15 felt like a different universe. I kind of wish I had played blue tees to get into the mix, but it was my putting that was the issue. I've been putting like the worst bits of Sergio and Michelle Wie. It's penetrating my already weak mental game. Missed 3 putts inside of 5 feet the first 18, and two the second 18 with a few hard lip outs.

JBang has much potential. I suggest tying rope from your cap to your c0ck on wedge shots. Maybe you'll quit coming up and out. That being said, maybe that will encourage up and out since you knew the Kink reference.

Ramesh, had no idea he made up so many shots the second 18, but he gave a tiger-esque (circa 2000) fist pump after sinking a putt late in the round; now I get it. He made EVERYTHING.

Foghorn Leghorn (Freezy) started out strong. then he started trying to samurai chops the ball. Great maneuver for the ninja world, but not golf. Always a good time. I talked during his swing all day, so I guess I will take some blame for his bad moments.

I don't love Whiskey. I actually think PB Dye and Worthington are more fun, but the scenery at Whiskey is top notch.

Birdieing 18 in front my my wife and fellow disaster was something I will never forget.

Curious about City's take, but Emma didn't rock my world. She was a'ight. I do wish Boogs had been there. Feel like we missed out on some A+++ lines.

Already planning a trip to go up there and see this Emma. I'm not even gonna play a round. I'm going to go there, sit at the bar, stare intently, sniff the air a bit to taste tartness level, and then bounce out.

Thirsty? Naw, I'm pass that level.

#waterbottledrop

Driver: Who knows at this point smh

Titleist 917f2 13.5*

Taylormade P790 UDI 2

Ping iCrossover - 3 iron

Taylormade P7MB 4-AW DG 105x

Mizuno T22 50* Blue Ion Modus 115x

Mizuno T22 54 Denim Copper TI S400/Vokey SM5 54F

Mizuno MCraft Type VI

Oh right... the pichers... didn't get many though.

5th tee

33791558570_7168517b39_b.jpg

My drive on the 5th

33791558180_cf8f0da1d6_b.jpg

11th

34176107645_c798572bef_b.jpg

14th

34135629646_ea5e4904d4_b.jpg

Bayrat with his best Justin Thomas impersonation on 18

33365603843_d5e429dac3_b.jpg

Cityaction on 18th

33333642394_cc87b8709b_b.jpg

Domes out of the ruins, into even par

34045153921_fdd5f2c561_b.jpg

For most, what was the play for #5. Driver? Or a club just short of the left/right bunkers? What was yardage to carry those bunkers?

I've always struggled at that hole either cause of a terrible drive or I layup way too far back.

Driver: Who knows at this point smh

Titleist 917f2 13.5*

Taylormade P790 UDI 2

Ping iCrossover - 3 iron

Taylormade P7MB 4-AW DG 105x

Mizuno T22 50* Blue Ion Modus 115x

Mizuno T22 54 Denim Copper TI S400/Vokey SM5 54F

Mizuno MCraft Type VI

final note: emma the bartender was RIDICULOUS. rawr.

(loosely quoted)

Kent (to Emma): "Emma's an old-fashioned name."

(playful back and forth banter for a minute)

Kent: "My name is Kent."

But she knew I wanted to do her, and she went along with it didn't she. Tell the whole story Oldber!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you live long enough to be a dirty old man, then by all means take advantage and enjoy. Us old coots can get away with a lot because the most for which we can be charged is assault with a dead weapon.

Work is swallowing me up. So... Wednesday was great. That limb on 4 needed to be cut down. Everyone's saying what limb, PQ. The black tees on 3, 4, 5, 8, 14, and 15 felt like a different universe.

When we saw the tee placements on 3 we immediately thought about you. We even GPS-ed the different between black and blue on the 4th, which City said was a little over 70 yards. 70.

Toulon Palm Beach

For most, what was the play for #5. Driver? Or a club just short of the left/right bunkers? What was yardage to carry those bunkers?

I've always struggled at that hole either cause of a terrible drive or I layup way too far back.

Everyone in my group took whatever club would clear the bunker on the left, which seemed to work out pretty well. I think it was 200ish(?) from the whites, so I took a hybrid over it

Cobra F8 12* (HZRDUS Yellow 65 x)
TEE e8 Beta 15* (Aldila Rogue Silver 70x)
Cobra F6 3h (Aldila Tour Blue 85x)
TEE ex10 4h (UST Mamiya Recoil 650 F5 x)
Srixon z745 5-PW (KBS Tour-V x)
Callaway md3 52* S grind
Callaway md2 56/60* PM grind
Scotty Select Newport 2.6