Where are you playing tomorrow - Chicago (Round2)

DavePelz4

Heads up regarding the TopGolf in Woodridge: they changed their prices slightly, but it's a big change for those of you who run over there for lunch practice sometimes.

Usually a bucket is $3.50 until 1PM then the price doubles. I think that's a pretty good deal considering it's about what normal range balls cost. Today I got there at 12:03 and it was $7 already. They bumped that cutoff up an hour and I missed it by three minutes.

Only ended up playing one game at that rate. If I'm gonna pay seven bones per 20 ball bucket, I'd better have my buddies, some beer and appetizers along for the ride.

The website still claims it goes until 1PM but I confirmed over the phone that the cutoff is now noon.

TaylorMade SLDR 460 12*+1* stock stiff
Tour Exotics XCG 15*; Mizzuno 19* MP-650
Callaway X-20 Tour 4 - PW; PX 6.0 shafts
Titleist Vokey SM 52*, 56*, 60*
Odyssey Teron, 35" Super Stroke 3.0
https://www.gamegolf.com/player/KevinR22

[quote name='MountainKing' timestamp='1432129639' post='11593070']
BTW - does anybody know of any decent practice greens in the western burbs? All the practice greens I've been on so far (including Bolingbrook) have been god awful, slow and shaggy and while I'm not the best putter to begin with I think practicing on them is doing more harm than good. I noticed this was a trend last year and I just gave up practicing putting all together, taking it to the course it always took me 9 holes to adjust to the way on course greens rolled. It'd be nice to find some place that maintains a practice green to something similar to what you see on a course......
[/quote]

Ruffled Feathers putting green was running pretty quick and smooth this morning, greens were too. I don't know if you've tried there or not but it was decent, if not a bit on the small side if you want a lot of variety.

Played RF this morning, as mentioned, in a Pastors Outing. No, I'm not a pastor, just filling in as mine couldn't make it. Course was in great shape, a bit chilly but completely tolerable even in carts. Greens were running pretty quick and very smooth. Our team shot -7 and should have been much lower as we lipped out birdies on at least 4 holes. Tees were way up though, had wedges into par 5s, I drove one green and went through another. Great morning though and a fun outing.

Damn, as luck would have it I just got invited to play Dubs for free tomorrow at 1. Unfortunately by 1 tomorrow I'll be relaxing lakeside in Green Lake, WI. Got a 3:00 tee time at Mascoutin with the wife.

Friday gonna play Lawsonia Links, my favorite course.

Saturday taking the wife to Two Oaks, the site of my second lowest score ever, a 77. Very easy course, hoping to go low again.

Sunday I'll probably play the Links again.

Monday I might squeeze in another round....hmm, maybe a third one at the Links.

[quote name='apprenti23' timestamp='1432153535' post='11595910']
I always liked RF even though I've never agreed with their prices. I'm a sucker for Pete Dye designs though so that makes sense. You can really go on a tear out there if you're hitting it well! Fun score able course!
[/quote]

Yeah, the prices can be steep, but when the outing is free I'm all over it. :) I'm not sure I'd love it as a frequent course, but once in a while is great. Some nice risk/reward, especially the back 9 stretch.

[quote name='Drew_G' timestamp='1432088096' post='11590646'][quote name='Dpuneil' timestamp='1431970503' post='11579788']
Playing Shepherd's Crook on Saturday the 23rd, fairly early AM. I think that still counts as Chicago golf. $45 to walk is a fantastic value. Anyone out there want to join?

[/quote]I played there on Sunday for the first time and the drive up from the city was well worth it. Great walking course with some nice elevation change. And: WIND![/quote]

Want to play again this weekend? Saturday should be ideal weather. Will likely play Thunderhawk in the afternoon if interested in that.

Arrowhead's greens were awesome. Course overall in very good shape, but the greens...dang! Smooth and FAST!
I have a feeling I'm going to be leaving putts short all day at GD tomorrow, lol.

Qi10 Max 9* ~ TPT Nitro 17 Hi

TRS 2 15* Ventus Red TR 6s

TRS 2 21* Ventus Red TR 7s

Zx5 ~ Mitsu OTi 95sΒ 
Kyoei KK ~ Nippon 115
LAB Golf DF3~ TPT

Β 

Never tell a grown man how to spend his money...

Just finished at Prairie Bluff. Course is in nice condition, but some of the greens do have some rough spots on them. After playing the front in a hair over 2 hours, we breezed through the back 9 (9 hole league on front side) in under 1:30. Overall had great time. Of course, it was windy as hell - 1-2 clubs at all times. Shot 42-36...

Chit load of Maltbys - TS2 irons, KE4 TC Driver & 4 wood, TSW 54* & 60* wedges, PTM5 Mallet putter

Was in the north burbs yesterday and played Mission Hills. Yikes! That place is in massive disrepair. I thought Fresh Meadows was bad but Mission Hills...do not play there.

Looked like it had its heyday and then died in 2008. The locker room looked like a bomb went off in there. The course hadn't been mowed in a long time. The rough was 3 inches with weeds and anything off the fairway was 70% chance of a lost ball. The only positive, the staff is nice.

Just finished @ GD...Course is in fabulous shape. Greens are decent but nothing to write home about, especially after playing Arrowhead yesterday. Had 3, 3 putts and missed 3 birdie putts inside 5ft. It was pathetic. I didnt even sniff the hole on 2 of them. FML.

Zx5 ~ Mitsu OTi 95sΒ 
Kyoei KK ~ Nippon 115
LAB Golf DF3~ TPT

Β 

Hahahahah I knew it was George Dump!

Used to play in a 9 hole skins game out there every Friday afternoon and 3-3.5 hour nines were the normal but we put up with it because it was easy money.

Greens are never quick there. Never have been and never will be. There are so many different tiers and slopes on those greens- the 6 hour rounds would be 7 of the greens were fast!

While it pains me to share that Gramps shot a back 9 35 and I paid out to him and Jim, on the Par 3 16th, he thought he was closest to the pin until Jim and I hit. Jim was actually the closest although the angle suggests otherwise.

Β 

20150522_164053.jpg

The humor was the **** Lefty gave me about jacked up lofts only to find 56 stamped on the bottom of the club.

Β 

And I'll brag on Lefty a bit. He hit a heat seeking missile into a par 5 that led to a 2 putt birdie, hit a wedge out of a snarky lie to literally 3 inches and birdied the 460 yard 18th with a dead center putt from the fringe.

[quote name='apprenti23' timestamp='1432340612' post='11611050']
Hahahahah I knew it was George Dump!

Used to play in a 9 hole skins game out there every Friday afternoon and 3-3.5 hour nines were the normal but we put up with it because it was easy money.

Greens are never quick there. Never have been and never will be. There are so many different tiers and slopes on those greens- the 6 hour rounds would be 7 of the greens were fast!
[/quote]

I've been playing there for the past 5 years, it's always been on a Wednesday - Thursday or on a rare Friday(you can forget the weekends) and the greens are usually slow but I did catch it when the stars and planets were aligned and the greens were actually ridiculously fast for that course.
Only once...

Zx5 ~ Mitsu OTi 95sΒ 
Kyoei KK ~ Nippon 115
LAB Golf DF3~ TPT

Β 

While it pains me to share that Gramps shot a back 9 35 and I paid out to him and Jim, on the Par 3 16th, he thought he was closest to the pin until Jim and I hit. Jim was actually the closest although the angle suggests otherwise.

Β 

20150522_164053.jpg

The humor was the **** Lefty gave me about jacked up lofts only to find 56 stamped on the bottom of the club.

Β 

And I'll brag on Lefty a bit. He hit a heat seeking missile into a par 5 that led to a 2 putt birdie, hit a wedge out of a snarky lie to literally 3 inches and birdied the 460 yard 18th with a dead center putt from the fringe.

Β 

So the practice CL was talking about actually helped?!?

Zx5 ~ Mitsu OTi 95sΒ 
Kyoei KK ~ Nippon 115
LAB Golf DF3~ TPT

Β 

Β 

20150522_164053.jpg

Β 

Β 

So the practice CL was talking about actually helped?!?

Β 

Ummmmm...i think it was the vicoden and ham sandwich washed with a powerade.

Lots of fun with Adam and Gary at Oak Meadows yesterday.

Today I played Indian Lakes/ Blackhawk Trace for the first time. Gary and Adam both gave me a lukewarm eye roll when I asked their opinion, so my expectations were pretty low. I have to say I liked it. We played Highlands and Woodside. The conditions were good, and the layout was fun and challenging. I would go back.

How was Oak Meadows prior to teardown? I think they're gonna tear it up this summer, right? The past few times I played it the condition was awful, partly due to spring/summer storms. Really looking forward to what this redesign might look like, assuming it's actually going to happen. Parts of that course I'm a huge fan of, others I fall asleep during.

[quote name='jimwgt26' timestamp='1432413234' post='11614780']
Lots of fun with Adam and Gary at Oak Meadows yesterday.

Today I played Indian Lakes/ Blackhawk Trace for the first time. Gary and Adam both gave me a lukewarm eye roll when I asked their opinion, so my expectations were pretty low. I have to say I liked it. We played Highlands and Woodside. The conditions were good, and the layout was fun and challenging. I would go back.
[/quote]

Agree Jim. It can usually be had for about $40 w-cart and its a decent track.

Zx5 ~ Mitsu OTi 95sΒ 
Kyoei KK ~ Nippon 115
LAB Golf DF3~ TPT

Β 

Oak Meadows is in good shape relative to how it was last year. The greens are decent, and there's no real flood damaged areas. To be clear, I'm only saying its in good shape for Oak Meadows.

It looks like they're going ahead with the renovation. They've cut down some trees along the Maple Meadows border. You can really see it from the 6th green.

For $30, I like playing there. It's an old school layout, easy to walk, and they've got a nice grass range. With no traffic, its 25 minutes from my house.

Gary, Adam and I went to the worst bar afterwards. Unfortunately, I'm the one who suggested it. The Arena Sports Bar on Lake St, stay away.

No wonder Adam went to bed after the last bar you suggested...

Good to hear Oak Meadows is nice, so far. Hoping to get a round in before it's gone for a while. I'm kind of torn on the redesign; on one hand I dislike the tearing down of a course that Hogan won on, but given the way it's been the past 10 years it makes sense. Really looking forward to the new design, although I did really like the Maple Meadows East 9 for quick twilight rounds on weekends. But this should be better in general.

[quote name='VNutz' timestamp='1432421172' post='11615308']No wonder Adam went to bed after the last bar you suggested...

Good to hear Oak Meadows is nice, so far. Hoping to get a round in before it's gone for a while. I'm kind of torn on the redesign; on one hand I dislike the tearing down of a course that Hogan won on, but given the way it's been the past 10 years it makes sense. Really looking forward to the new design, although I did really like the Maple Meadows East 9 for quick twilight rounds on weekends. But this should be better in general.[/quote]

I agree. It's sad to see it go, but it's time.