Where are you playing tomorrow - Chicago (Round2)

DavePelz4

The wife and I are heading out of town, so will play Wednesday instead of Thursday

I'll put the king johns on

TM SIM 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 5S
TEE  XCG7B  3h  19* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S  
TEE  XCG7B  4h  22* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S
TEE  XCG7B  5h  25* Diamana Thump i465ct 4iron shaft
Wishon 560MC 5-PW (26,30,34,38,42.5,47) Recoil Proto 125 F4
Vokey SM7 50-08F S200 bent to 51*
Wishon HM wedges 56/60 Wishon Smooth steel Stiff
2013-2016 SC Futura X5R 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

TM TP5x

[quote name='apprenti23' timestamp='1432055565' post='11586770']
You guys are insane!
[/quote]

Lol. I have 26 rounds in so far this year, with 15 in the Chicago area (going back to 3/15/15). Thanks to the pleasant Spring weather, I'm 10 rounds ahead of last year's pace. Woo hoo! :golfer:

[quote name='apprenti23' timestamp='1432063683' post='11587830']
[quote name='DavePelz4' timestamp='1432057624' post='11586998']
You guys are insane!
[/quote]
The effective temps will be 60 and that calls for shorts.
[/quote]
It didn't happen if you don't post pics!
[/quote]

:scare2::stop:

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

[quote name='Argonne69' timestamp='1432063820' post='11587844']
You guys are insane!
[/quote]

Lol. I have 26 rounds in so far this year, with 15 in the Chicago area (going back to 3/15/15). Thanks to the pleasant Spring weather, I'm 10 rounds ahead of last year's pace. Woo hoo! :golfer:

You guys are insane!
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]

:scare2::stop:
[/quote]

9 for me, including 4 in Florida.... Out of those, 2 were freaking outings!!!! This shapes up as a rather miserable year, at least when it comes to golf :(.

Chit load of Maltbys - TS2 irons, KE4 TC Driver & 4 wood, TSW 54* & 60* wedges, PTM5 Mallet putter

You guys are insane!
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]

Ironically, it didn't happen. Lefty just finished with a client and I'm reading contracts...in shorts. And my legs are excellent.

Arrowhead Thursday and GD Friday and maybeeeeeeee HoE on Saturday. I just need to think of what to buy the wifey now.

Anyone know the condition on Arrowhead's greens?

Qi10 Max 9* ~ TPT Nitro 17 Hi

TRS 2 15* Ventus Red TR 6s

TRS 2 21* Ventus Red TR 7s

Zx5 ~ Mitsu OTi 95s 
Kyoei KK ~ Nippon 115
LAB Golf DF3~ TPT

Never tell a grown man how to spend his money...

[quote name='DavePelz4' timestamp='1431954231' post='11577888']
Played Broken Arrow on Friday. Had booked the South/East combo. Here's the good, bad and ugly.

The Bad - the range. $6.00 for 14 balls. Couldn't hit off of the "turf" and had to basically hit off a thin piece of Astroturf on asphalt. Got b****** out when I tried to move in front and hit a driver. When I pointed out the young lady at the end doing the same thing, was told "she's a member and we let members do that."

The Good - the course, well, the South...more on that later. Nice design, in very good condition, sand in bunkers, lots of slope on the greens allowing some creative pin positions. A bit of elevation change, some short yet challenging holes, some longer homes...a nice mix. Drinking water was available and on course "facilities" were very clean.

The Ugly - the management/some players. Teed off at Noon and there were only 2 groups on the South at least 3 holes ahead of me. Standing in the second fairway deciding on a club, an errant drive from 5th tee landed literally at my feet. Literally. No fore. 2 of the people in the cart drove up, did not say a single word, hit the shot as I was lining up mine. I figured if he hit a shot that badly, I should let him go and be safe. Caught up to this group on the 7th hole and then the problems really started. They did not offer to let me go through so I figured I'd have the opportunity at the turn.

After the group left the 9th green and went into the clubhouse, I hurried to finish and get in front of them. The starter was sitting there in his cart, reading a book and I asked him what he wanted me to do. He said go now and get in front of them. So I hustled to the 10th tee and saw there was the another 4 some in the fairway. Figured I could get through them and then just sail. The group I skipped then drove up and started to throw a **** fit of massive proportions. One of the guys swore at me for skipping them and I told him the starter told me to do it. He asked what I was going to do and I said play through them, and then the group in front. He said, "I paid to play 18 holes and you're going to ruin my round." I asked would he rather have me sitting behind them waiting on every shot or be ahead he could do this thing. He grabbed his driver, put a peg in the ground and started to tee off.

Conflict was on it's way so I went back to the starter and told him scenario. He said "What do you want me to do?" The thought was 'your ******* job' although I didn't say it. He put me back on the South which is why there aren't any comments on the East.

I've sent a note to the GM so we'll see what (if) response comes forth. Would imagine I'll play there again as it was a fun 9 holes.
[/quote]

Just got off the phone with the GM, Michael, from Broken Arrow. A big kudos to him for not only reading the note but also responding. He wanted to go through everything from the range to the course conditions, to the negative interaction on the 10th tee. He asked a lot of questions with what seemed to be the goal of learning. It was a very honest conversation and without hesitation, I'd say that he's a GM who cares about a great experience. He shared a couple of things that weren't obvious, like the young lady at the one end of the range was hitting from the lesson area where you can hit off the turf and that I should have been able to hit driver in front of the astro turf. He was right in saying I should have said something about the limited number of range balls although he understood that the thin turf mitigated the desire to hit many shots. He apologized for what happened with the starter and the 10th tee but fairly said there are some groups that will easily let singles play through but other groups that make an issue out of it. Have to agree...a tough part of his job.

He said to call him the next time I'm coming down to play...and I will. A very good GM who cares about his customers.

[quote name='DavePelz4' timestamp='1432075806' post='11589210']
[quote name='Scratch2Plus' timestamp='1432075516' post='11589184']
Arrowhead Thursday and GD Friday and maybeeeeeeee HoE on Saturday. I just need to think of what to buy the wifey now.

Anyone know the condition on Arrowhead's greens?
[/quote]

Arrowhead greens are the best played this year. Rolling perfectly.
[/quote]
[quote name='Chicago Lefty' timestamp='1432075824' post='11589214']
Conditions are good at arrowhead. Just skip the first hole and mark yourself down for a birdie.
[/quote]

I was just wondering why they had a discounted rate right now. It's usually around $70 but is listed at $52. So I was thinking maybe they are discounted because they aerated the greens. :)

CL, you know I'm gonna birdie it and then not sniff another birdie in 17 holes. Haha

Zx5 ~ Mitsu OTi 95s 
Kyoei KK ~ Nippon 115
LAB Golf DF3~ TPT

[quote name='DavePelz4' timestamp='1432081038' post='11589680']
Played Broken Arrow on Friday. Had booked the South/East combo. Here's the good, bad and ugly.

The Bad - the range. $6.00 for 14 balls. Couldn't hit off of the "turf" and had to basically hit off a thin piece of Astroturf on asphalt. Got b****** out when I tried to move in front and hit a driver. When I pointed out the young lady at the end doing the same thing, was told "she's a member and we let members do that."

The Good - the course, well, the South...more on that later. Nice design, in very good condition, sand in bunkers, lots of slope on the greens allowing some creative pin positions. A bit of elevation change, some short yet challenging holes, some longer homes...a nice mix. Drinking water was available and on course "facilities" were very clean.

The Ugly - the management/some players. Teed off at Noon and there were only 2 groups on the South at least 3 holes ahead of me. Standing in the second fairway deciding on a club, an errant drive from 5th tee landed literally at my feet. Literally. No fore. 2 of the people in the cart drove up, did not say a single word, hit the shot as I was lining up mine. I figured if he hit a shot that badly, I should let him go and be safe. Caught up to this group on the 7th hole and then the problems really started. They did not offer to let me go through so I figured I'd have the opportunity at the turn.

After the group left the 9th green and went into the clubhouse, I hurried to finish and get in front of them. The starter was sitting there in his cart, reading a book and I asked him what he wanted me to do. He said go now and get in front of them. So I hustled to the 10th tee and saw there was the another 4 some in the fairway. Figured I could get through them and then just sail. The group I skipped then drove up and started to throw a **** fit of massive proportions. One of the guys swore at me for skipping them and I told him the starter told me to do it. He asked what I was going to do and I said play through them, and then the group in front. He said, "I paid to play 18 holes and you're going to ruin my round." I asked would he rather have me sitting behind them waiting on every shot or be ahead he could do this thing. He grabbed his driver, put a peg in the ground and started to tee off.

Conflict was on it's way so I went back to the starter and told him scenario. He said "What do you want me to do?" The thought was 'your ******* job' although I didn't say it. He put me back on the South which is why there aren't any comments on the East.

I've sent a note to the GM so we'll see what (if) response comes forth. Would imagine I'll play there again as it was a fun 9 holes.
[/quote]

Just got off the phone with the GM, Michael, from Broken Arrow. A big kudos to him for not only reading the note but also responding. He wanted to go through everything from the range to the course conditions, to the negative interaction on the 10th tee. He asked a lot of questions with what seemed to be the goal of learning. It was a very honest conversation and without hesitation, I'd say that he's a GM who cares about a great experience. He shared a couple of things that weren't obvious, like the young lady at the one end of the range was hitting from the lesson area where you can hit off the turf and that I should have been able to hit driver in front of the astro turf. He was right in saying I should have said something about the limited number of range balls although he understood that the thin turf mitigated the desire to hit many shots. He apologized for what happened with the starter and the 10th tee but fairly said there are some groups that will easily let singles play through but other groups that make an issue out of it. Have to agree...a tough part of his job.

He said to call him the next time I'm coming down to play...and I will. A very good GM who cares about his customers.
[/quote]

G, that blows man. I've played there once last year in an outing and it is a fun track.
It's nice of the GM to actually respond to your legitimate complaints but I swear, some of the people that are now playing this game really are dbags. No common courtesy whatsoever. The whole, hit an errant shot and not giving a warning fore is just plain ignorant.
Especially to top it off by them driving right past you to their ball not saying a word and hitting their shot as if it was a normal thing to do.
If BA caters to that kind of golfer, I'm afraid I'll pass playing BA in the future.

Zx5 ~ Mitsu OTi 95s 
Kyoei KK ~ Nippon 115
LAB Golf DF3~ TPT

[quote name='Dpuneil' timestamp='1431970503' post='11579788']
Playing Shepherd's Crook on Saturday the 23rd, fairly early AM. I think that still counts as Chicago golf. $45 to walk is a fantastic value. Anyone out there want to join?
[/quote]I played there on Sunday for the first time and the drive up from the city was well worth it. Great walking course with some nice elevation change. And: WIND!

Hey J...I'll play there again. Had I been in a foursome this might not have happened. Like any business, you're only as good as the worst employee. Had the starter engaged his spine, issue gone.

We're due to play...need to see your latest weapons.

Starter....with a spine?

That%20Does%20Not%20Compute.jpg

Seriously, when was the last time anyone saw a starter/marshal/ranger actually confront a group for a legitimate infraction? More times than not they'll start arguing with me for pointing out the infraction, rather than "risk scaring away the group".

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

Hey J...I'll play there again. Had I been in a foursome this might not have happened. Like any business, you're only as good as the worst employee. Had the starter engaged his spine, issue gone.

We're due to play...need to see your latest weapons.

Starter....with a spine?

That%20Does%20Not%20Compute.jpg

Seriously, when was the last time anyone saw a starter/marshal/ranger actually confront a group for a legitimate infraction? More times than not they'll start arguing with me for pointing out the infraction, rather than "risk scaring away the group".

The last time we played Erin Hills the ranger spoke to the group in front of us at least 4-5 times to get them back into position. He also apologized to us for the pace. Have had several other situations locally where rangers have facilitated playing through a slower group.

[/quote]

[/quote]

That is impressive. I wrote an email to Seven Bridges last year after a less than stellar experience out there with the staff on top of the course conditions being that of a low end municipal course and not what is suppose to be one of the premiere courses in Chicago. I heard nothing back from anybody so they obviously don't give two craps....

Willowcrest was a great outing, how golf should be everyday. We got a $15 hot deal on Golfnow, got out there at 4pm and the course was empty, we were done by 6:30. Play wasn't great, had 39 putts and a slew of other short game mishaps but still a fun day. Course was in really good shape, the greens were a bit inconsistent from one to the next with the speed but they rolled nice. I could play a heck of a lot more golf if it was always $15 and the rounds were always 2:30....

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade Stealth 19* Hybrid

Taylormade Stealth 22* Hybrid

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

BTW - does anybody know of any decent practice greens in the western burbs? All the practice greens I've been on so far (including Bolingbrook) have been god awful, slow and shaggy and while I'm not the best putter to begin with I think practicing on them is doing more harm than good. I noticed this was a trend last year and I just gave up practicing putting all together, taking it to the course it always took me 9 holes to adjust to the way on course greens rolled. It'd be nice to find some place that maintains a practice green to something similar to what you see on a course......

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

[quote name='MountainKing' timestamp='1432129308' post='11593030']

[/quote]

[/quote]

That is impressive. I wrote an email to Seven Bridges last year after a less than stellar experience out there with the staff on top of the course conditions being that of a low end municipal course and not what is suppose to be one of the premiere courses in Chicago. I heard nothing back from anybody so they obviously don't give two craps....

Willowcrest was a great outing, how golf should be everyday. We got a $15 hot deal on Golfnow, got out there at 4pm and the course was empty, we were done by 6:30. Play wasn't great, had 39 putts and a slew of other short game mishaps but still a fun day. Course was in really good shape, the greens were a bit inconsistent from one to the next with the speed but they rolled nice. I could play a heck of a lot more golf if it was always $15 and the rounds were always 2:30....
[/quote]

I think Seven Bridges and their staff are the only ones that consider it to be a premier course.

I'd be willing to bet that Seven Bridges is closed 4 years from now.

[quote name='MountainKing' timestamp='1432129639' post='11593070']
BTW - does anybody know of any decent practice greens in the western burbs? All the practice greens I've been on so far (including Bolingbrook) have been god awful, slow and shaggy and while I'm not the best putter to begin with I think practicing on them is doing more harm than good. I noticed this was a trend last year and I just gave up practicing putting all together, taking it to the course it always took me 9 holes to adjust to the way on course greens rolled. It'd be nice to find some place that maintains a practice green to something similar to what you see on a course......
[/quote]

MK what area are you in? When you're at Bolingbrook are you at the Learning Center or the green by the clubhouse?

Came here to ask some questions about Cog Hill's Ravine's course and as fate would have it the post directly above mine references it.

I'm playing Ravines for the first time this week for a work thing. Any suggestions? Looks a little tighter than I'm used to but not long so I imagine 3 wood/hybrid off the tee is a good idea for many holes. Any tips are greatly appreciated!

Oh - and I was going to get there early to practice, why shouldn't I use the Dubs putting green to prep for my round on Ravines? Gonna assume Dubs is lightning and Ravines greens are much slower??

TaylorMade SLDR 460 12*+1* stock stiff
Tour Exotics XCG 15*; Mizzuno 19* MP-650
Callaway X-20 Tour 4 - PW; PX 6.0 shafts
Titleist Vokey SM 52*, 56*, 60*
Odyssey Teron, 35" Super Stroke 3.0
https://www.gamegolf.com/player/KevinR22

[quote]
I think Seven Bridges and their staff are the only ones that consider it to be a premier course.

I'd be willing to bet that Seven Bridges is closed 4 years from now.
[/quote]

Wouldn't be totally surprised, I honestly never cared for the course, holes 10-16 remind me more of giant mini golf than anything else but I do have some friends that love the place, on top of that it's close to my home and work. Target golf is fine but even most of those type of courses give some sort of option other than water/OB if you hit an errant shot. They need to buy up some of that land and build a practice facility or they are going to have a hard time, you go out there about 3pm on a weekday and you can have the place to yourself even into the prime time part of the season.

[quote name='stasek' timestamp='1432130454' post='11593176']
Not exactly western burbs, but Cog Hill's practice green near Dubs is generally in really good shape.
[/quote]

Cog Hill is about 10 minutes from me - I can't believe I never thought of that as an option....

[quote name='DavePelz4' timestamp='1432131534' post='11593310']
[quote name='MountainKing' timestamp='1432129639' post='11593070']
[/quote]

MK what area are you in? When you're at Bolingbrook are you at the Learning Center or the green by the clubhouse?
[/quote]

I live on the east side of Bolingbrook (by Boughton Ridge), I've used both. The clubhouse green is a bit better but I have been given a hard time on a few occasions being on that green when not playing the course. They really do want to keep their practice golfers and course golfers separate.

I've given Naperbrooks a try and they were bad. Last year I used the practice green at Downers Grove's course a lot and it (go there on lunch) and it was good but this year it's been crap so far, my front yard is less shaggy.

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

[quote name='Auditor_Kevin' timestamp='1432136010' post='11593872']
Came here to ask some questions about Cog Hill's Ravine's course and as fate would have it the post directly above mine references it.

I'm playing Ravines for the first time this week for a work thing. Any suggestions? Looks a little tighter than I'm used to but not long so I imagine 3 wood/hybrid off the tee is a good idea for many holes. Any tips are greatly appreciated!

Oh - and I was going to get there early to practice, why shouldn't I use the Dubs putting green to prep for my round on Ravines? Gonna assume Dubs is lightning and Ravines greens are much slower??
[/quote]

#4 (Par 3) always seems to play one club longer.

#5 is a b*tch, 467 from the blues, dogleg left. Do not push it right through the fairway.

#9 is a tough, tight par 5. I generally play a 3 wood off the tee, as anything right is bad.

#10 has a dropoff at the end of the fairway, so be careful of running through the fairway to avoid a nasty downhill shot from the rough to a tough green.

#11 is a short par 5, but stay left. The creek along the right side is jail.

#12 is tough, as the fairway end on a significant downslope. Lay back to give yourself a decent shot at the green, but not too far back.

#15: Bomb away over the tall tree on the inside corner of the left dogleg.

#16: Mirror opposite of 15. Over the trees on the right.

#17: Not much to be gained by going long. I generally hit hybrid, and still have a wedge to the green.

Awesome advice, Argonne. Thanks! I'm printing it out and working up some other notes on the course just based on what I can see from Google Maps. I'm not that good but I still want to know what to expect from each hole before I play it.

TaylorMade SLDR 460 12*+1* stock stiff
Tour Exotics XCG 15*; Mizzuno 19* MP-650
Callaway X-20 Tour 4 - PW; PX 6.0 shafts
Titleist Vokey SM 52*, 56*, 60*
Odyssey Teron, 35" Super Stroke 3.0
https://www.gamegolf.com/player/KevinR22

[quote name='Auditor_Kevin' timestamp='1432139371' post='11594216']
Awesome advice, Argonne. Thanks! I'm printing it out and working up some other notes on the course just based on what I can see from Google Maps. I'm not that good but I still want to know what to expect from each hole before I play it.
[/quote]

'No problem. I generally try to play it every other year. It's somewhat walkable, but there are a few tough stretches. As you noted, it's generally short and tight, except for the cruelly long #5. A number of low lying holes are generally water logged, e.g. #7, #8, and #9.