2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Where are you playing tomorrow - Chicago (Round2)

DavePelz4

for those w interest in the Web dot com at Ivanhoe.

late Saturday email from the tournament says they decided to move the start to 8:00 am, (weather permitting).

goal is to get them out in threes from tees one and ten by 10:00 am.

based on current radar, wear your duck shoes.

currently playing:
FT-5 - D
Cally FT hybrids
Hogan Edge GS, 4-PW
Vokey Oil Can 52, 56
Ping Anser 2

TM FlexTech Lite/Titleist StaDry

A very soggy morning at Village Greens of Woodridge. I haven't played this course in 15 years. Our company outing used to be held here. It's not a bad little course. Conditions were quite saturated. The greens were wet, but rolled surprisingly well. It was the kind of day where $40 was the maximum one would want to spend, and the course fit the bill.

Decent round. No real highlights, but no lowlights either. For the 2nd day in a row patience was the word of the day.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

It poured for 12 of 18 holes at Ives Grove. By the time the rain stopped, my grips and gloves were all soaked and I was just barely hanging onto the club. Given my short backswing, wet conditions really aren't my forte. I don't know of anyone who enjoys playing in the rain but it led to some atrocious swings by me. We faced the usual Wisconsin nonsense, which, as always, involved playing through two sixsomes who, despite the rain, we're taking their sweet time to miss five foot putts before waiting for the most difficult holes to wave us up on. Whatever, it was good to get out after not playing yesterday.

We checked the radar and drove west, where it was dry. We ended up at Prairie Woods in Rock Couty, WI. It's a Bear favorite and a sneaky good course that, given the conditions, was in pretty good shape. I hit the ball a little better and eked out a 76, which, for a 6000 yard course, isn't saying much. Still, there were enough good strikes to wipe the taste of the Ives downpour round out of my mouth. I've got a half day at work on Friday and I might be able to pick up a round on Wednesday after work. I'm really hoping the weather improves.

Mizuno ST 190G w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 6S

Mizuno ST-Z 15° w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 7S

Mizuno ST-Z 18° w/ Fujikura Atmos Black TS 7S

Srixon ZX7 4-PW w/ Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

Taylormade MG 50°/54°/58° w/ Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Piretti Cottonwood II

I assume you have rain gloves?

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

I assume you have rain gloves?

Yep. I went through two sets at Ives. Honestly, what killed me wasn't the soaked gloves, it was the ultra slick grips. I have tour velvet on my irons and, while they're great in dry conditions, it's like holding a wet sponge on days like today. I used to have Z cords on all my irons and wet conditions weren't nearly as problematic. I need to go back to that setup.

Piretti Cottonwood II

Played at Highland Woods on Saturday morning. Pulled into the parking lot and was the only idiot golfer there. 2 minutes later when my playing partner showed up, we were the only two in the lot. Ended up playing the first 5 holes in a slight rain and shockingly, the greens were in really good shape, albeit just a touch bit slow from the rain. There were obviously wet spots/standing water in the lower areas but all in all the course was in very good condition. This is usually a 1x/year course but I'd actually think about going back to play it when it was dry from all the rain so that should be like maybe August?

So I played The Brute at Grand Geneva Saturday morning. My buddy was about a 20-capper so we played the white tees which were about 6,500 yds. Not long but I must say it was probably one of the easiest courses I have played in many years. Wide fairways, massive greens with lots of short grass surrounding them and massive bunkers with hardly any tight up against the green. From my point of view, there was only one tough shot all day with that being the tee shot off the 10th. Three of the par 5s were gimmicky with the fairway running out at anywhere between 100-150 from the green. Why bother? The par 3s were boring, and the 16th had a bunker tucked around the dogleg of it (wtf?). Definitely not even worth the resort rate of just over $100. Next stop while up there will be Hawk's View which I hear better things about.

[size=3]Vapor Speed Driver
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 13* FW[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 15* FW[/size]
[size=3]Cobra King Pro Forged Black CB/MB 4-PW[/size]
[size=3]Callaway MD2 Tour Grind 52/9, [/size][size=3]56/10, [/size][size=3]60/9[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade TP Collection Berwick
[size=3]BOOM![/size]

Highland Woods....Played there a couple of weekends ago and as usual it was a 5.25 hr death march. Like you said, its a 1x a year course for me.

Qi10 Max 9* ~ TPT Nitro 17 Hi

TRS 2 15* Ventus Red TR 6s

TRS 2 21* Ventus Red TR 7s

JDM Cally X Forged star~ Mitsu OTi 95s 
Kyoei KK ~ Nippon 115
LAB Golf DF3~ TPT

Never tell a grown man how to spend his money...

So I played The Brute at Grand Geneva Saturday morning. My buddy was about a 20-capper so we played the white tees which were about 6,500 yds. Not long but I must say it was probably one of the easiest courses I have played in many years. Wide fairways, massive greens with lots of short grass surrounding them and massive bunkers with hardly any tight up against the green. From my point of view, there was only one tough shot all day with that being the tee shot off the 10th. Three of the par 5s were gimmicky with the fairway running out at anywhere between 100-150 from the green. Why bother? The par 3s were boring, and the 16th had a bunker tucked around the dogleg of it (wtf?). Definitely not even worth the resort rate of just over $100. Next stop while up there will be Hawk's View which I hear better things about.

Hawk's View is super sweet, and this is from my memory banks, one of the first rounds I ever played as a one-some at the crack of dawn when I was like 15. If it's still in good shape, which it probably is, very cool layout. The 3rd or 4th hole is a par 3 with a huge elevation drop to the green. Been meaning to get back up there. Please report on conditions. I've never played the fancy resort courses up there, but I have a friend with connections at Geneva National that I've been meaning to take advantage of too. Maybe closer to the 4th of July.

Cobra KING LTD Pro 8.5º - Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S
Tour Edge Exotics CB5 15º - Graphite Design Tour AD DI 8S
*Titleist 816H2 21º (C1) - Graphite Design AD DI 105S (Double Eagle/Albatross 7/15/17)

OR - *Titleist 712U 3i - Aerotech SteelFiber 110S
Titleist 712U 4i - Aerotech SteelFiber 110S
Titleist 714 AP2 5-9 - Aerotech SteelFiber 110S
Titleist Vokey SM5 46.08, SM6 50.12F, SM6 56.14F bent to 55 True Temper DG S200
Titleist Vokey Wedgeworks V-Grind 60.10 True Temper DG S200
Scotty Cameron Bullseye Blade By Titleist

Hawk's View is super sweet, and this is from my memory banks, one of the first rounds I ever played as a one-some at the crack of dawn when I was like 15. If it's still in good shape, which it probably is, very cool layout. The 3rd or 4th hole is a par 3 with a huge elevation drop to the green. Been meaning to get back up there. Please report on conditions. I've never played the fancy resort courses up there, but I have a friend with connections at Geneva National that I've been meaning to take advantage of too. Maybe closer to the 4th of July.

Hawk's View is really well maintained. It's got two par threes that are straight drops down (17 is the other one) and the 10th hole is a really nice but long par 5. 12 and 13 are both well-designed 4s and overall the layout is good. I'm guessing you'll like Hawk's View much more than The Brute.

Piretti Cottonwood II

I think your assessment is too kind.

Does Highlands of Elgin get a lot of play compared to the busier courses in the western suburbs? I have never been there and was thinking about going out there tonight for a twilight round around 5:30, was wondering if they get a lot of twilight play, or if it will be somewhat open. Tee sheet is pretty open right now.

Hit Cantigny Lakeside/Hillside Sunday afternoon. Had the entire course to myself pretty much. Loved the Lakeside course but Hillside didn't quite meet my expectations. I didn't pay full price, but still, the layout just didn't do anything for me. Certainly not like Lakeside. I had to deal with a little rain on the front side, but managed an even par round with a birdie on the Par 3 4th at about 185 yards.

Nice birdie as I pulled up to a 4some who graciously let me play thru. It's always nice to stick it to 5 ft and make the birdie with an audience on the way thru!

Played the back 9 (Hillside) +1 and birdied the last hole. Would have been even par had I not put my tee shot on the Par 3 5th in the back bunker, then flew it into the front left bunker. However I made a nice up and down out of there to escape with a just a bogey.

Not sure I'll go back on a weekend again, and $40 a 9 is a little steep during the week. If it was "twilight" I would consider it though...

Still.... it has a great practice facility and I have been taking full advantage of it during the week as it is fairly close to the office.

Edit: I do have to say though that the course held up to the rain really well! Fairways and greens were excellent considering all that water. I used rain gloves and did they make a difference!

Hogan's Secret.......it's in plain sight but not for everyone...
https://6sigmagolfrx.com/
2017 Taylormade M2 9.5 (set at 10.5) w/ Diamana S+ Blueboard 60 S
2010 Tour Edge Exotics XCG3 3W w/Fujikura Motore S 15 deg
2014 Taylormade SLDR S HL 3W 17deg Fujikura Speeder 65 R, shortened
2017 Tour Edge Exotics 3H UST Mamiya 670 S
2009 Callaway Xforged 3i w/ KBS tour S
2012 Cobra Amp Forged 4-GW w/ Fujikura Pro i95 S
2013 Miura forged 54 & 58 wedges - w/ DG Tour issue S
Ping Cadence Rustler Traditional putter

Does Highlands of Elgin get a lot of play compared to the busier courses in the western suburbs? I have never been there and was thinking about going out there tonight for a twilight round around 5:30, was wondering if they get a lot of twilight play, or if it will be somewhat open. Tee sheet is pretty open right now.

It gets a lot of play but it stays very well-maintained. I've played weekday twilight rounds there and not had to stop at all though, so if you tee off at about 4:30 or 5:30, you should be fine. It's an excellent course with a lot of variety, no really bad holes, and very good greens. They won't be running at their usual pace because of all the rain we got but they should still be really smooth.

Piretti Cottonwood II

It gets a lot of play but it stays very well-maintained. I've played weekday twilight rounds there and not had to stop at all though, so if you tee off at about 4:30 or 5:30, you should be fine. It's an excellent course with a lot of variety, no really bad holes, and very good greens. They won't be running at their usual pace because of all the rain we got but they should still be really smooth.

Great, thanks for the heads up! Booked my tee time.

I spent 10 years caddying at Conway...piece of advice: Even if you stripe your drive on 8, don't go for it in 2. Your ball isn't going to hold the green and if you're short, you're dead.

TaylorMade M2 9° Fujikuri Pro Stiff
Ping I3 2-PW Blue
Cleveland 588 RTX Tour Satin 52°
Cleveland 588 RTX Tour Satin 56°
Ping Karsten Ally i Putter

I spent 10 years caddying at Conway...piece of advice: Even if you stripe your drive on 8, don't go for it in 2. Your ball isn't going to hold the green and if you're short, you're dead.

A friend was a Conway member until a two years ago. I’ve been fortunate to play it more than my fair share. A few rounds were really good players. None got on 8 in two. Going for almost always lead to a bogie or worse.

Golfpromt, Conway is awesome. Have a great time.

Played HOE tonight. Really glad I did. Paid 30 bucks, teed off at 5:15 and was done by 7:30. Passed 1 group the whole time. Played fine until the final 3 holes. I went double, bogie, double to shoot an 80. Not that those holes were hard, I just blew up. It was pretty spongy because of the recent weather, I will definitely go back when it is firmer/faster.

I'm heading to Grand Rapids tomorrow to attend the LPGA Meijer Classic on Friday. I'll play Hawkshead on the way there tomorrow, Thornapple Pointe on Saturday morning, and The Ravines in Saugatuck on the drive back on Sunday.

Played HOE tonight. Really glad I did. Paid 30 bucks, teed off at 5:15 and was done by 7:30. Passed 1 group the whole time. Played fine until the final 3 holes. I went double, bogie, double to shoot an 80. Not that those holes were hard, I just blew up. It was pretty spongy because of the recent weather, I will definitely go back when it is firmer/faster.

My - and a lot of other people’s - lone critique of HoE is that, despite a faux links look, it doesn’t ever play fast and firm. They overwater the course so that if it's listed at 7000 yards, it plays 7000 yards. It’s an excellent course and the layout is among my favorites but you’re not likely to get the links-style play that it looks like it should be set up for.

Piretti Cottonwood II

My - and a lot of other people's - lone critique of HoE is that, despite a faux links look, it doesn't ever play fast and firm. They overwater the course so that if it's listed at 7000 yards, it plays 7000 yards. It's an excellent course and the layout is among my favorites but you're not likely to get the links-style play that it looks like it should be set up for.

That is really surprising. When I was out there, I was thinking man I'd like to play this firm and fast, and it has that look. I guess not though!

Tune up 9 holes at Mt Prospect Wednesday, Bowes on Thursday.

I'll be there for league night tonite.

should dry up quite a bit today with these 10-15 mph winds out of the northwest and lower humidities

should be fun!

TM SIM 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 5S
TEE  XCG7B  3h  19* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S  
TEE  XCG7B  4h  22* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S
TEE  XCG7B  5h  25* Diamana Thump i465ct 4iron shaft
Wishon 560MC 5-PW (26,30,34,38,42.5,47) Recoil Proto 125 F4
Vokey SM7 50-08F S200 bent to 51*
Wishon HM wedges 56/60 Wishon Smooth steel Stiff
2013-2016 SC Futura X5R 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

TM TP5x

US Open'ish conditions for the weekend at Shepherd's Crook

sounds like fun?

at first I thought it was the entire course, but it will just be the par 3 11th, haha

Play Our U.S. Open Hole

Greetings golfers,

Only an elite few, very few, ever get to play in the U.S. Open. We'd like to offer you a U.S. Open experience - but just for one hole.

This Saturday and Sunday, June 16 and 17, our par-3 11th hole will be set as close to U.S. Open conditions as possible. Rough at four inches, the green running at about 12 on the stimpmeter - it will be fun to play, and a challenge as well. Just like the boys playing at Shinnecock Hills!

Book your tee times now - and bring your best game. Even for just one hole!

2013-2016 SC Futura X5R 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

TM TP5x

US Open'ish conditions for the weekend at Shepherd's Crook

sounds like fun?

at first I thought it was the entire course, but it will just be the par 3 11th, haha

Play Our U.S. Open Hole

Greetings golfers,

Only an elite few, very few, ever get to play in the U.S. Open. We'd like to offer you a U.S. Open experience - but just for one hole.

This Saturday and Sunday, June 16 and 17, our par-3 11th hole will be set as close to U.S. Open conditions as possible. Rough at four inches, the green running at about 12 on the stimpmeter - it will be fun to play, and a challenge as well. Just like the boys playing at Shinnecock Hills!

They'd be nuts to let the average weekend hacker try to hack out of 4 inch rough and putt on fast greens for 18 holes, talk about 5+ hour rounds.

Cobra KING LTD Pro 8.5º - Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S
Tour Edge Exotics CB5 15º - Graphite Design Tour AD DI 8S
*Titleist 816H2 21º (C1) - Graphite Design AD DI 105S (Double Eagle/Albatross 7/15/17)

OR - *Titleist 712U 3i - Aerotech SteelFiber 110S
Titleist 712U 4i - Aerotech SteelFiber 110S
Titleist 714 AP2 5-9 - Aerotech SteelFiber 110S
Titleist Vokey SM5 46.08, SM6 50.12F, SM6 56.14F bent to 55 True Temper DG S200
Titleist Vokey Wedgeworks V-Grind 60.10 True Temper DG S200
Scotty Cameron Bullseye Blade By Titleist

Play Our U.S. Open Hole

Greetings golfers,

They'd be nuts to let the average weekend hacker try to hack out of 4 inch rough and putt on fast greens for 18 holes, talk about 5+ hour rounds.

8/9 minute tee intervals. Lol.

NWZrAr.gif

reminds me of some of our company golf outings at Indian Lakes (RIP) back in the day when you'd almost have to step on the ball in the rough to find it

the greens were fast as well

6 hour rounds, woohoo!

TM TP5x