2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Where are you playing tomorrow - Chicago (Round2)

DavePelz4

Anyone have any recommendations for some couples lessons in the western or northwestern suburbs?
I take lessons from Tim Overman at Golf in Motion, but he's south. Worth the drive in my opinion...but I'm not sure how he handles couple's lessons.

Would be a little far, but might give him a call tomorrow as we will be downtown on Tuesday

Klein Creek Thursday morning...

Great layout with some of the crappiest maintenance in the area. They might have gone 5 years without putting sand in the bunkers. Looking forward to hearing your review J.

Huh? Yeah, if your idea of fun is OB on the left, and a water hazard on the right on 70% of the holes. Ugh.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

Anyone have any recommendations for some couples lessons in the western or northwestern suburbs?
I take lessons from Tim Overman at Golf in Motion, but he's south. Worth the drive in my opinion...but I'm not sure how he handles couple's lessons.

Would be a little far, but might give him a call tomorrow as we will be downtown on Tuesday

Agreed here, Tim is great

Coming from Phoenix this is an average day. It's the rough after all that rain! Courses are still trying to catch up with the mowing.

Played Big Run Sunday. What a course. Love those old school courses with the tight, giant oak tree lined holes!

Played it from the whites and at 6600 is all you could want...Not a level lie anywhere. Par 5, 610 yd 9th was unreal. All extremely uphill. 2nd shot has to be left side, slope runs extremely right to left. 3rd shot is no picnic to a really elevated green with two tiers....was glad to get out of there with a par. Loved it!

Played Big Run from the white tees yesterday with 3 of my buddies. Drove the ball like crap and shot a 93 (which for me is not a bad score on this course). Took a 7 on no.9. None of us are better than a 14 capper and we usually play quickly, It took us 5 hours to play with nobody in front of us!! The rough was just high enough to make it very difficult to locate balls. While I enjoy playing this course - it does beat me up mentally. Not sure why the above poster called it a joke design. I've played this course with low/mid single cappers and seen them have (by far) their worst rounds of the year so when I shoot near 100, I don't feel tooooo bad. :busted_cop:

Agree with you here. I think if you can play this course well, then you can take your game just about anywhere. It's definitely not your average layout. You have to be confident with your ability to drive the ball well. You are rewarded if you do, if not then it can be a real struggle.

Hogan's Secret.......it's in plain sight but not for everyone...
https://6sigmagolfrx.com/
2017 Taylormade M2 9.5 (set at 10.5) w/ Diamana S+ Blueboard 60 S
2010 Tour Edge Exotics XCG3 3W w/Fujikura Motore S 15 deg
2014 Taylormade SLDR S HL 3W 17deg Fujikura Speeder 65 R, shortened
2017 Tour Edge Exotics 3H UST Mamiya 670 S
2009 Callaway Xforged 3i w/ KBS tour S
2012 Cobra Amp Forged 4-GW w/ Fujikura Pro i95 S
2013 Miura forged 54 & 58 wedges - w/ DG Tour issue S
Ping Cadence Rustler Traditional putter

Playing The Brute in two weeks.

Scratch that. Playing The Highlands instead now. One of the guys playing can't break a hundred typically. Good course?

B-man on the Highlands, 59 watch.

Ha! Yeah right. It'll probably be an early vodka-infused sesh that morning.

[size=3]Vapor Speed Driver
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 13* FW[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 15* FW[/size]
[size=3]Cobra King Pro Forged Black CB/MB 4-PW[/size]
[size=3]Callaway MD2 Tour Grind 52/9, [/size][size=3]56/10, [/size][size=3]60/9[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade TP Collection Berwick
[size=3]BOOM![/size]

I managed to grab a 7:48 am tee time on Saturday at Glendale Lakes. Once a twosome or threesome book a slot, the option to book as a single opens up. Or so I thought. Of course when you try to book online it allows you to select a single player, but then displays an error message stating that the spot is no longer available, even though there is still an opening. Why can't courses correctly configure their booking engines, or communicate their policies to the booking engine company, in this case TeeItUp? It's 2018. Calling a pro shop should be mandated to book a tee time. Oy. I guess that's why it's taken me 12 years to play this course.

Anyway, is Villa Olivia worthwhile? It always spooks me when I look at a teesheet 3 days in advance and there are 11 openings for fouresomes before 10 am.

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

Another recommendation for Tim Overman. The guy knows his stuff and got me hitting the ball better than I ever have in only a few lessons. Also found his lessons cheaper than the other people I was considering at the time, but I'm sure it depends on what package you buy from whom, etc. Definitely worth the drive IMO, and if memory serves his studio is only 5 minutes or so off of the Sox park exit on the Dan Ryan.

Groupon coupon for Tim

https://www.groupon.com/deals/golf-in-motion-1?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=us_dt_sea_ggl_txt_alp_sr_cbp_ch1_nbr&template=regular&bypass=true

15 hcp

Anyway, is Villa Olivia worthwhile? It always spooks me when I look at a teesheet 3 days in advance and there are 11 openings for fouresomes before 10 am.

No.... Villa Olivia was close to the worst course I played in Chicago in my 3 years living in the city (2013 - 2016). It plays around a small ski slope with bad conditions and awkward holes. I'd rather play a flat dog track like Chick Evans or Edgebrook than Villa Olivia. BUT, if you've never seen it and want to play a new course, you'll at least be amused with Villa Olivia.

Spring Valley and Thunderhawk on Saturday. One of those courses is maintained just a little bit better than the other.
Hahahaha! A little?! One of those also has no bunkers.

It's weird. Thunderhawk is significantly more difficult (duh) but I can pretty much guarantee I'll have a better score there than at Spring Valley.

Mizuno ST 190G w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 6S

Mizuno ST-Z 15° w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 7S

Mizuno ST-Z 18° w/ Fujikura Atmos Black TS 7S

Srixon ZX7 4-PW w/ Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

Taylormade MG 50°/54°/58° w/ Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Piretti Cottonwood II

Great layout with some of the crappiest maintenance in the area. They might have gone 5 years without putting sand in the bunkers. Looking forward to hearing your review J.

Huh? Yeah, if your idea of fun is OB on the left, and a water hazard on the right on 70% of the holes. Ugh.

With your fairway % I'd think this would be in your wheel house. It's not a course I'd play more than 1-2x/year because of the no range and crappy bunkers but even with my sucky game, I haven't found those issues consistently.

Coming from Phoenix this is an average day. It's the rough after all that rain! Courses are still trying to catch up with the mowing.

Played Big Run Sunday. What a course. Love those old school courses with the tight, giant oak tree lined holes!

Played it from the whites and at 6600 is all you could want...Not a level lie anywhere. Par 5, 610 yd 9th was unreal. All extremely uphill. 2nd shot has to be left side, slope runs extremely right to left. 3rd shot is no picnic to a really elevated green with two tiers....was glad to get out of there with a par. Loved it!

Played Big Run from the white tees yesterday with 3 of my buddies. Drove the ball like crap and shot a 93 (which for me is not a bad score on this course). Took a 7 on no.9. None of us are better than a 14 capper and we usually play quickly, It took us 5 hours to play with nobody in front of us!! The rough was just high enough to make it very difficult to locate balls. While I enjoy playing this course - it does beat me up mentally. Not sure why the above poster called it a joke design. I've played this course with low/mid single cappers and seen them have (by far) their worst rounds of the year so when I shoot near 100, I don't feel tooooo bad. :busted_cop:

Agree with you here. I think if you can play this course well, then you can take your game just about anywhere. It's definitely not your average layout. You have to be confident with your ability to drive the ball well. You are rewarded if you do, if not then it can be a real struggle.

No.... Villa Olivia was close to the worst course I played in Chicago in my 3 years living in the city (2013 - 2016). It plays around a small ski slope with bad conditions and awkward holes. I'd rather play a flat dog track like Chick Evans or Edgebrook than Villa Olivia. BUT, if you've never seen it and want to play a new course, you'll at least be amused with Villa Olivia.

I'll second the "no." However, you can definitely score there. It's a gimmicky par 73 with a bunch of par 5s that are all between 490 and 510 yards. As I recall (and I could be wrong because I haven't played there in about four years), the front and back are vastly different. The front is super flat while the back has some crazy elevation change because of the ski hill.

Piretti Cottonwood II

... I am always amazed at how a wide open course allows you to miss fairways without much penalty, so you swing freely and find yourself in the fairway all day long. Then a tight driving hole with OB, water or tree lined cause you to make a tighter swing subconsciously trying to guide the ball. I have played Wedgewood many times hitting the pretty open fairways with regularity and come to the tight tree lined 16th fairway and hit it in the tees more often than not. Crazy mental game.

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... AutoFlex Dream 7 SF405
Fairway:    TM Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:           2024 TP5x/2023 Maxfli Tour

... I am always amazed at how a wide open course allows you to miss fairways without much penalty, so you swing freely and find yourself in the fairway all day long. Then a tight driving hole with OB, water or tree lined cause you to make a tighter swing subconsciously trying to guide the ball. I have played Wedgewood many times hitting the pretty open fairways with regularity and come to the tight tree lined 16th fairway and hit it in the tees more often than not. Crazy mental game.

Hey, that sounds like me at BR. I become a nervous mental midget out there.

15 hcp

With your fairway % I'd think this would be in your wheel house. It's not a course I'd play more than 1-2x/year because of the no range and crappy bunkers but even with my sucky game, I haven't found those issues consistently.

I haven't played it since 2009. Back then I was hitting a fade/slice, as well as the dead left pull. 'Probably hitting 5 to 6 fairways at the time. It was not the course to play on a regular basis. The lack of a range was also a big negative.

Hey, that sounds like me at BR. I become a nervous mental midget out there.

... Amen brother. You can attempt to fool your brain, but it can certainly see the difference between the first hole at Cog Hill #1 where all it can see is the target and #9 at BR where all it can see is the trees.

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... AutoFlex Dream 7 SF405
Fairway:    TM Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:           2024 TP5x/2023 Maxfli Tour

Spring Valley and Thunderhawk on Saturday. One of those courses is maintained just a little bit better than the other.

It's weird. Thunderhawk is significantly more difficult (duh) but I can pretty much guarantee I'll have a better score there than at Spring Valley.

because of the green complexes? (Spring Valley is Langford and Moreau?)

TM SIM 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 5S
TEE  XCG7B  3h  19* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S  
TEE  XCG7B  4h  22* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S
TEE  XCG7B  5h  25* Diamana Thump i465ct 4iron shaft
Wishon 560MC 5-PW (26,30,34,38,42.5,47) Recoil Proto 125 F4
Vokey SM7 50-08F S200 bent to 51*
Wishon HM wedges 56/60 Wishon Smooth steel Stiff
2013-2016 SC Futura X5R 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

TM TP5x

Spring Valley's greens can be extremely difficult. Many are plateau's and when the course is rock hard in the summer putting off of the green is nowhere out of the question. ha. Some of those are just beasts. #8 and #9 really stick out to me. And that loooooong par 3 over the water to another plateau green. Gotta love the hole where the horse is buried. haha. Now I'm going to have to get out and play there.

Although I'd still rather spend my money for Brightondale. Their greens are superb as I said earlier.

I haven't played it since 2009. Back then I was hitting a fade/slice, as well as the dead left pull. 'Probably hitting 5 to 6 fairways at the time. It was not the course to play on a regular basis. The lack of a range was also a big negative.

St. Andrews is about 10 minutes away from KC and we warm up there before playing...one of the best ranges in Chicago. If you're not hitting the ball with a consistent trajectory, KC like most any course is going to be tough. Hitting it straight and it's a scorable course...not that I ever hit it straight.

He's been great for my game for sure. I drive from Volo to see him, but as I said before, worth the drive.

For me the focus of practicing without the club has been huge. And being able to look back at my previous

lessons is nice as well. Just a great experience for me so far. And to think...it started off with a Groupon. :-)

Another recommendation for Tim Overman. The guy knows his stuff and got me hitting the ball better than I ever have in only a few lessons. Also found his lessons cheaper than the other people I was considering at the time, but I'm sure it depends on what package you buy from whom, etc. Definitely worth the drive IMO, and if memory serves his studio is only 5 minutes or so off of the Sox park exit on the Dan Ryan.

Big Run is not a course with a variety of "options", as a previous post illustrated with the Mistwood #15 example. BR is more of a "test" course, with options falling into a narrower, or subtle range. There are many risk/reward choices to make around BR, but they are almost exclusively tied to the 2nd shot. The shots which Big Run demands you hit are so much fun, though. Big Run also, arguably, delivers what I consider to be no less than three #1 experiences in Chicagoland public golf:

Most difficult hole - #9

Most Extreme Green - #11

Best par 3 - #13

If you value the challenge that BR presents, then the readily available $45 greens fee w/cart might represent the best bang for the buck in the area, too - or at least the most challenging bang for the buck.

Best Silly/Ridiculous Green: Harborside Port #15 (The Anchor Hole)

Mostly it’s between the ears for me. But I prefer more modern courses that are open off the tee and funnel towards the hole. Yeah, it’s a Langford and Moreau course. Built in 1926.

Piretti Cottonwood II

Leave poor BR alone ?. The site of my first ever 18 hole round of golf. 130+ strokes later I was hooked! Despite the fact I can almost walk to the course, I don’t play it often enough. The greens can be challenging depending on pin placement (6 putted the 18th the last time I played it), but I’ve also shot 74 from the tips...

Haven’t touched the clubs in almost 2 weeks. The next planned round is at another polarizing place (Lost Marsh) coming up on Sunday. Only played it once (few years ago). Should be fun with my driver misbehaving. Maybe I’ll teach it a lesson and leave it in the car.

Chit load of Maltbys - TS2 irons, KE4 TC Driver & 4 wood, TSW 54* & 60* wedges, PTM5 Mallet putter

Klein Creek was in fine shape minus the flooded bunker ponds. Greens were pretty damn fast and the fairways dried out fairly quickly.

With the amount of rain we got yesterday I wasn't surprised it was CPO. Snagged it on Groupon for $31 riding. I'll be going back for more.

Qi10 Max 9* ~ TPT Nitro 17 Hi

TRS 2 15* Ventus Red TR 6s

TRS 2 21* Ventus Red TR 7s

Muira 302 ~ Mitsu OTi 95s 
Kyoei KK ~ Nippon 115
LAB Golf DF3~ TPT

Never tell a grown man how to spend his money...