2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Where are you playing tomorrow - Chicago (Round2)

DavePelz4

I'll be out at Wilmette tomorrow morning at 8:09 am. A foursome canceled, and I booked as a single, so there are 3 openings if anyone wants to join. 'Should be finished before the afternoon rains hit.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

Harborside (starboard) today and just had one of those rounds. I had no idea where my driver was going, pull hooks, push slices, and low runners off the bottom of the face that go straight with zero distance. Hit some massive blocks with my irons, we're talking 30+ yards to the right it was nuts. Add to this the fact that my Dad can't really see more than 1/3 of any ball flight in the overcast conditions so EVERY shot I took was accompanied by "nice shot!". There was a lot of back and forth like this, "nice shot, did that make it to the green?", "do you see a f*#%ing ball on the green?!" If he wasn't my old man I would down a wedge as he would have been disemboweled with one. Ended up shooting a 93 that felt like 120. Nice course tho haha, with the 36+ holes I like to play a week I can't possibly afford to play there very often but will snatch up at discounted price I can get.

Sidenote: for a crappy day there seemed to be a pretty solid crowd today, how is the crowd on a weekend?

Harborside (starboard) today and just had one of those rounds. I had no idea where my driver was going, pull hooks, push slices, and low runners off the bottom of the face that go straight with zero distance. Hit some massive blocks with my irons, we're talking 30+ yards to the right it was nuts. Add to this the fact that my Dad can't really see more than 1/3 of any ball flight in the overcast conditions so EVERY shot I took was accompanied by "nice shot!". There was a lot of back and forth like this, "nice shot, did that make it to the green?", "do you see a f*#%ing ball on the green?!" If he wasn't my old man I would down a wedge as he would have been disemboweled with one. Ended up shooting a 93 that felt like 120. Nice course tho haha, with the 36+ holes I like to play a week I can't possibly afford to play there very often but will snatch up at discounted price I can get.

Sidenote: for a crappy day there seemed to be a pretty solid crowd today, how is the crowd on a weekend?

Weekend mornings at Harborside are usually packed on both courses until 10 am, and then open up considerably. Keep in mind that the peak rate on the Weekend is $105 plus tax. Of course, they may have raised it again this year. We'll see, They're already at $89.

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

Bowes Creek was in excellent shape yesterday. Still think Bowes is the best value in the Chicagoland area - layout, conditions, practice facilty and experience are hard to beat.

Never played there but we bought the fantastic Groupon deal and will be there on May 16th.

Played the Highlands of Elgin yesterday and they said they are planning on aerating May 9 and 10 so I would imagine Bowes will be about the same time frame. Hopefully a week earlier and not a week later.

HoE's greens were running nice. Third time there this year, I am the anti- Argonne. Haha

Straits and BWR River next Friday. I need to start hitting balls, hahaha.

G, I have some probably non conforming Titleist irons and driver otw, hahaha....

I did straits yesterday and will do it again next Friday.

The course is just starting to take shape and the greens were slow. They punched and sanded them a few weeks ago and they haven't fully recovered yet and the range is still off mats.

With that said, what a course. We got lucky with the weather as the sun finally came out after a few holes and hung out for the day. It was my first full 18 of the year and it didn't go as bad as I thought it was going to.

Wb

Twitter: @itsnotgriffin
Site: [url="http://www.thebottomgroove.com/"]www.thebottomgroove.com[/url]

WITB:
Callaway Big Bertha Epic 10.5
Callaway BBA 5 Wood
Callaway XR 7 Wood - Frankenstyle
Apex Hybrid 23deg
Apex Pro 5i-PW
MD3 52, 56 W-Grind
MD3 60 PM Grind
Odyssey O-Works - #1/3T (putter commitment issues)

anyone have recommendations in the south west burbs. finally going to be able to play next Wednesday

Cantigny and Ravisloe are probably the two best.

I guess when one lives in the northern suburbs, every other suburb is south and west. :taunt:

I'd say Ravisloe is definitely south suburbs, and Cantigny is western suburbs. To me, living downtown, anything off of I-55 is SW, including Cog Hill, Ruffled Feathers, Old Oak, Gleneagles, Big Run, Bolingbrook, Mistwood, Prairie Bluff, and Broken Arrow.

I live on the northside, Elston and Addison. The older and older I get the bigger the south side grows. I now consider anything south of Armitage to be the south side.

We're neighbors......I'm on the corner of Addison and Albany.

We're neighbors......I'm on the corner of Addison and Albany.

I sense the makings of a WRX White Castle meetup!

Do the right thing:

Grab a crave case and go meet at a chipping green for a few hours.

Keep in mind that anything more than 5 or 10 min after eating will require a restroom.

WITB:
Callaway BBA 5 Wood
Apex Hybrid 23deg
Apex Pro 5i-PW
MD3 52, 56 W-Grind
MD3 60 PM Grind

I got out to Wilmette this morning. The course is greening up nicely. The greens looked and rolled great, but were slow. I was hoping to beat the rain, but once again the weatherman was off. It wasn't supposed to rain until after noon, but a light and steady rain started falling as we made the turn. It was a bit of a mixed blessing, as the two slow groups in front of us decided to call it quits after nine, so we had clear sailing on the back. Finished in 3:30.

I like the challenge of playing in the rain, as it forces me to stay focused and concentrate on one shot at a time. Once again struggled with the ball striking, hitting just 6 fairways and 7 greens. However, I generally stayed out of trouble, and scrambled for 5 pars, and converted two for two birdie attempts. Overall, a decent round.

So with the promise of beer my buddies got me out of the house at 5 am and an hour and a half or so later we were teeing it off on The Brute. I was mean and made my friends play from the back with me, my driver was going straight, no one else's was but we still had a blast. It seems like you REALLY need to be under the hole on those greens and I was almost always above so I did not have a good time with the putter and finished at 85, but the way I played yesterday I'm happy.

Bowes Creek was in excellent shape yesterday. Still think Bowes is the best value in the Chicagoland area - layout, conditions, practice facilty and experience are hard to beat.

Never played there but we bought the fantastic Groupon deal and will be there on May 16th.

Played the Highlands of Elgin yesterday and they said they are planning on aerating May 9 and 10 so I would imagine Bowes will be about the same time frame. Hopefully a week earlier and not a week later.

HoE's greens were running nice. Third time there this year, I am the anti- Argonne. Haha

Bowes Creek told me they are aerating this Monday and Tuesday. Should be good for when I visit on the 16th.

WB...

Yeah we usually try and take advantage of their spring deal. We've been really lucky the last 4 years weather wise and next week looks decent up there. The nat invasion-hatching starts right about that time of the year and it can get kinda nasty.

Hope for the best but expect the worst. If it becomes the latter, there's always the tasty spotted cow WI brew. :)

Qi10 Max 9* ~ TPT Nitro 17 Hi

TRS 2 15* Ventus Red TR 6s

TRS 2 21* Ventus Red TR 7s

JDM Cally X Forged star~ Mitsu OTi 95s 
Kyoei KK ~ Nippon 115
LAB Golf DF3~ TPT

Bridgestone RXS

Vessel Lux XV cartbag

Never tell a grown man how to spend his money...

WB...

Yeah we usually try and take advantage of their spring deal. We've been really lucky the last 4 years weather wise and next week looks decent up there. The nat invasion-hatching starts right about that time of the year and it can get kinda nasty.

Hope for the best but expect the worst. If it becomes the latter, there's always the tasty spotted cow WI brew. :)

The spring deal is hard to beat. The mayflies were starting already. Not in full force yet. Next weekend looks great for weather.

WITB:
Callaway BBA 5 Wood
Apex Hybrid 23deg
Apex Pro 5i-PW
MD3 52, 56 W-Grind
MD3 60 PM Grind

I am coming up to Chicago for a meeting, and asked my club pro if he could get me on Chicago Golf Club or Butler National. Chicago GC didn't work out, but he was able to get me a tee time on Butler National. Unfortunately, the only time they could get me out conflicted with my meeting, so I am having to pass it up. Really bummed about it. I heard they cut down a bunch of trees a few years ago to restore it to it's original look; is this true?

LEFT HANDED

Callaway Paradym Smoke TD with Metaflex 5H shaft 
Titleist TSR2 16.5 degree fwy with Ventus Red 7 stiff shaft
Ping G430 19 and 22 degree hybrids with Ventus Blue HB 8 stiff shaft
Srixon ZX7 mkii 5-PW with Fuji Axiom 105 stiff shafts

Titleist SM9 50F, 54D, 58T wedge with Fuji Axiom 105 stiff shafts
L.A.B. MEZZ Max putter with LAGP putter shaft

Played Schaumburg yesterday with Hawkeye who came in for Monte-fest - Chicago. Course was in very nice condition and the greens were the typical Schaumburg greens. Didn't play thre except once last summer and it seems they took a ton of trees out as some courses seem to be doing.

Indeed we did! Great walk, great company - not our best golf but who cares, had a blast.

You all in Chicago are lucky to have so many options. I was impressed with how well maintained the course was and loved the greens. If that's an example of a "muni", can't imagine how nice most of the tracks must be in the area.

Also got a great dinner recommendation, my wife and I enjoyed a great meal, so thanks!

I am coming up to Chicago for a meeting, and asked my club pro if he could get me on Chicago Golf Club or Butler National. Chicago GC didn't work out, but he was able to get me a tee time on Butler National. Unfortunately, the only time they could get me out conflicted with my meeting, so I am having to pass it up. Really bummed about it. I heard they cut down a bunch of trees a few years ago to restore it to it's original look; is this true?

I don't know about an original look, but many courses in the area have been cutting down trees due to invasive bugs. My guess is that would be it. I caddied at Butler as a kid and it's got trees, but it's not dominantly wooded.

Played Schaumburg yesterday with Hawkeye who came in for Monte-fest - Chicago. Course was in very nice condition and the greens were the typical Schaumburg greens. Didn't play thre except once last summer and it seems they took a ton of trees out as some courses seem to be doing.

Sorry I couldn't join you gents yesterday.

Schaumburg greens are back back? Hmmm...

Kyoei KK ~ Nippon 115
LAB Golf DF3~ TPT

Bridgestone RXS

Vessel Lux XV cartbag

WB...

The spring deal is hard to beat. The mayflies were starting already. Not in full force yet. Next weekend looks great for weather.

Mayflies / gnats, they both taste the same. :)

Kyoei KK ~ Nippon 115
LAB Golf DF3~ TPT

Bridgestone RXS

Vessel Lux XV cartbag

Bummer about missing out on Butler CC!

Kyoei KK ~ Nippon 115
LAB Golf DF3~ TPT

Bridgestone RXS

Vessel Lux XV cartbag

Bummer about missing out on Butler CC!

Yeah, hopefully I will get another chance in the future.

LEFT HANDED

Callaway Paradym Smoke TD with Metaflex 5H shaft 
Titleist TSR2 16.5 degree fwy with Ventus Red 7 stiff shaft
Ping G430 19 and 22 degree hybrids with Ventus Blue HB 8 stiff shaft
Srixon ZX7 mkii 5-PW with Fuji Axiom 105 stiff shafts

Titleist SM9 50F, 54D, 58T wedge with Fuji Axiom 105 stiff shafts
L.A.B. MEZZ Max putter with LAGP putter shaft

I don't know about an original look, but many courses in the area have been cutting down trees due to invasive bugs. My guess is that would be it. I caddied at Butler as a kid and it's got trees, but it's not dominantly wooded.

Tree removal is usually the result of Invasive trees and/or improving air flow to help with turf quality. Trees block air flow and sunlight

Wb

WITB:
Callaway BBA 5 Wood
Apex Hybrid 23deg
Apex Pro 5i-PW
MD3 52, 56 W-Grind
MD3 60 PM Grind

Guess I am going to hit Ruffled Feathers on Monday morning with a couple guys I met last week at Bridges of Poplar Creek. Came to find out that they are in the same industry as me. Going to be a bit on the cool side, but hopefully it isn't too wet from all this rain the last couple days.

Anyone been yet this year? Wondering how the course is coming into shape? How the greens are?

"Get sick", skip the meeting. ;)

They planted a bunch of trees, then they cleared a bunch of trees, then Mother Nature cleared a few more biggies when a microburst swept through a few years ago. The biggest loss, imo, was when "the man" cut down the tree in the middle of the 18th fairway.

"Fun" round at Glencoe GC this morning. Cold, breezy, and very wet. Perfect weather for a quick round. The course is looking good, but the recent rains have left standing water in many areas. It was quite the slog pushing a cart through the bog. There were a handful of diehards out there, so pace of play was excellent. I managed a solo round in 2:35.

Fantastic day ball striking. 12/15 fairways and 13 greens. Something about the conditions that force me to simply concentrate and slow down. My new Tank putter is really starting to pay dividends. 30 putts on 13 GIRs is very good. I think I shot a personal best on the course with an even par round. I was one over on the front with one birdie, and one under on the back with a tap in birdie on #16 after hitting my approach to 3 inches.

Great round not withstanding, I'm tired of this crap. Bring on the 60 degree weather, thank you very much.