2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Tell me your mistakes made as a club hoe

sjt4718

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

#1 Learn to do your own club work, it saves a ton of money, and it is a fun hobby

#2 If you are married have a back up place for all your purchases to be shipped to, if the wife starts asking questions. (I knew I was a true ho when I opened a PO Box just for my club purchases)

#3 You must own a set of blades and CB shovels so you can argue with people on BOTH the Blade and "Praise to CB" threads.

Titleist 910D2 w/Diamana D+
Bio Cell + 5-7
MP 53 4-PW
Edel 58*
Ping TR 1966 Anser

Unless you absolutely hate a club, never sell a club to get a replacement club. Always give yourself the chance to go back to the old if the new doesn't pan out.

Can't tell you how many times I wish I had kept my old club after receiving my new shiny toy and realizing it couldn't hold a candle to old favorite.

[color=#ff0000][b]Driver: [/b][/color]Callaway GBB 9.5* (Project X HZRDUS Black 76g 6.5X)
[color=#ff0000][b]Hybrid: [/b][/color]Taylormade RBZ 19* (Fujikura Speeder TS H9.8)
[color=#ff0000][b]Irons: [/b][/color] Callaway Apex'14 4-PW (DG X100)
[color=#ff0000][b]Wedges: [/b][/color]Nike SV Tour (DG S400)
[color=#ff0000][b]Putter: [/b][/color]Odyssey Tank Cruiser #7
[b][color=#ff0000]Balls: [/color][/b]Srixon ZstarXV

[quote name='Fade to Black' timestamp='1430443192' post='11476913']
Unless you absolutely hate a club, never sell a club to get a replacement club. Always give yourself the chance to go back to the old if the new doesn't pan out.

Can't tell you how many times I wish I had kept my old club after receiving my new shiny toy and realizing it couldn't hold a candle to old favorite.
[/quote]

The one thing I learned from everyone's mistake here. Never sell something if it used to work for you and you liked it. Never sell your old favourites. That's why I'm keeping my 712 AP2's. Kinda feel some regret selling my 910F 3 wood, great off the tee, but couldn't hit it off the deck to save my life, so at least I had a reason.

But yeah, if you liked your old club, never sell it unless you HATED it, saves you the heartache of regret.

Oh btw, stay off buying new clubs, look in the used sections and go gem hunting, I'm sure there's lots of old or used goodies in good to mint condition worth the buy. Profit off the fools who bought them new and sold it 3 months later, only for it to depreciate some of its value.

Ping G410 Plus driver 10.5* - Fujikura Motore Speeder VC 7.2 stiff
Ping G410 fairway wood 14.5* - Fujikura Motore Speeder VC 8.2 stiff
Mizuno MP-64 irons - 3 & 4 iron - Project X LZ 5.5
Mizuno MP-4 irons - 5-PW - Project X LZ 5.5
Titleist Vokey SM7 wedges 50*, 54* & 60* - Dynamic Gold wedge shafts
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 putter 35"

WITB Link

The biggest issue is never being satisfied no matter how good one hits a club he is never happy...at some point he will have so so or bad round and it's off to next club......

Which has nothing to do with the clubs.....if you hit it well once than it no longer is the club

Never wanting or being satisfied is the root of it all.....always looking for something new

[quote name='sjt4718' timestamp='1430369591' post='11470865']
I am looking at becoming a club hoe. I seem to enjoy golf equipment more than I enjoy the game. I'm really not looking to improve my game I just like looking at golf equipment, shoes and apparel. I look right past training aids at will I never even consider them. So can you tell me any pitfalls to avoid as I partake in my journey? Maybe any mistakes that you have made or seen others make when buying golf stuff. I know it's easy to buy stuff but I guess I'm looking for helpful hints such as should I hoard clubs I don't use anymore or sell them for a loss.
Tl:dr--help me not mess up being a club hoe
[/quote]

In my 25 years or so of ho'ing without any restrictions ....i wish i would have been more particular on what i spend money on and that i would have kept some of the clubs i purchased because i traded clubs way to freely both good and bad and honestly have litle to show for it except for memories and i not to say it was bad but i ..even currently have no filter and if i want to try a club i just buy it and except for the highly priced clubs like Miura money is not a object or deterrent and never was ...... i saw a earlier post saying not to buy new and use some objectivity and mostly i agree with that statement .... i cant answer for anyone else but for me ... e bay and paypal just gave me more incentive to ho with little restrictions because i could not have traded / purchased at the volumes i did without onlne stores / auction sites and i don't see me stopping until i stop playing this game

I used to always sell old clubs when I bought new...
I fast learned that I needed to keep my old irons at least until I settled into my new ones.
Annnnnd I never sell old putters anymore.
I will now hold onto drivers as well, long story short I gave my old man my AMP CELL a while back, since then I have had two RBZs and a Jetspeed and just had the AMP CELL back (as dad loves his G5)
Goes to show new ain't always best when you're a Ho �

G - 10.5° (@ 11.5) - Ping Tour 80 (44.5") - Regular
 G - 22 - Ping Tour 90 - Regular
 I200 5-UW - White Dot +1/4" - PX 5.5
 Tour Preferred 58° ATV - KBS Tour-V - Wedge
 Select SquareBack - 34" - SuperStroke MS 2.0

[quote name='Titleist_242' timestamp='1430371303' post='11470965']
Good question. Don't buy new. Research resale values. And don't hire golf shops to do tinkering like reshafting or putting new grips on clubs you'll test and sell off. Grip prices never make their money back. The stuff I mentioned above will really mess up your bottom line.
[/quote]
Very good advice. Don't buy clubs that need regripping. Driver maybe, but a set of irons will set you back too much for a regrip, unless you can get them for a great price.

My best advice is to hang on to a core set of favorites to fall back on. There is usually a good reason for moving clubs on but sometimes you ho something you really ought to have kept. Some sets have a personal value that you will never get trying to sell them, especially older clubs, and hoing is very impulsive so you often miss clubs you hoed on a whim. And having a set of old faithfuls can fill a gap between sets and keep the ho monster at bay for quite a long time, potentially saving you some cash.

Don't put more money into Ho'ing than you do into your savings or retirement plan. Unless you are buying Mr. T's personal set of clubs at a celebrity auction, which, like the "Golden Girls" commemorative collector plates that I also purchased, are guaranteed to only go up in value!

Cobra LTD HZRDUS 75g 6.5 (Synergy Black 70TX tipped 1/2")
Ping 2014 Rapture 3W - Blueboard 73x5ct
Cobra F8 3 hybrid (HZRDUS Black 85 6.5)
4 Hybrid...
Srixon Z545 5-AW (SF i110 stiff)
RTX 3.0 - 54 and 58 (SF i125 stiff)
Ping Ketsch Mid 

[quote name='MrFlapjack' timestamp='1430673112' post='11490437']
Don't put more money into Ho'ing than you do into your savings or retirement plan. Unless you are buying Mr. T's personal set of clubs at a celebrity auction, which, like the "Golden Girls" commemorative collector plates that I also purchased, are guaranteed to only go up in value!
[/quote]

you just made this thread un-fun,, way to go sir now you got me worrying about retirement and not my next set of clubs.

there's always a party pooper in these threads lol

917D3 8.5 Oban Kiyoshi Tour Ltd 60-04
915F 15 Speeder Evo 661S Blue
716 T-MB 2 Project X LZ 6.0
716 T-MB 4 Modus3 125S
714 AP2 Modus3 125S
SC Buttonback Newport 34"
TVD M 50/54
TVD V 60

[quote name='WalleyeDave' timestamp='1430445447' post='11477141']
[quote name='pierso2' timestamp='1430427943' post='11475725']
DO NOT BUY A CAMERON DETOUR! Unless you need a new fire place poker/ potato masher/ back-scratcher.
[/quote]I was gonna say the same thing about the RBZ 3 wood. Me and it don't get along.
[/quote]

It's funny you say this - i just picked one up...it's not the head that i have an issue with

i did something rather stupid in search of a low spin, low launch fairway finder ---- i installed in a RBZ tour spoon "P" series head 13*...a motore vc 8.2x.

however - the shaft was tipped 1" for a 3w...then i tipped it an additional 1". it's low flight, low launch and goes nothing but straight. now i just have to find a way to get it off the ground...

Qi10 LS / 8* (dialed to 8.75*) / HZRDUS Smoke Green 60 6.5

Qi10 Tour / 3w / Denali Blue 70TX

Mizuno Pro 24 Fli-Hi / 3i / HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5
Mizuno Pro 245 / 4-GW / KBS Tour X

SM9 Black / 54,58 / KBS Tour S+

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

I'm the worst kind of club "hoe", in that I do a lot of dumb things for no real good reason other than my obsession. I basically keep everything I've ever bought, and the only times I'e ever sold I've sold way too low (and therefore have decided that selling old clubs is useless). I tend to be a "value" buyer...i.e. I see something I've had my eye on for a good price and just buy it, regardless of need. I become obsessed with some ideal about what I want in my bag, and I scour the Callaway pre-owned site, plus ebay, until I find it. I buy it, but being a lefty it often isn't exactly what I wanted (shaft wrong, length or lie or grips wrong), so I then take it to my local clubfitter and have him get it to my exact specs. He just laughs at me and does whatever I want ($ for him right?).

Anyway, I usually like it for a while, but then something else catches my fancy and I'm ready to go buy that. Or, I decide after a few rounds that I need some particular club to make my game better (the 3 wood / 5 wood / hybrid / driving iron is a constant source of change for me). I have 2 awesome hybrids and a really good 5 wood that are on the bench right now in favor of a 3 wood and a driving iron, and I just bought another 3 wood last night.

The worst part is that I now essentially have 3 completely viable full sets, but I only game 1 of them. I have a set of irons that I just love (Callaway 2013 X-forged), but I'm constantly hitting the Callaway site for RAZR X MBs or eBay for Titleist MBs. I now have pieced together (one by one) a set of Callaway RAZR X MBs but could have bought a full set for much less than I pieced it together for, and the worst part is that I don't typically play them (I do combo them sometimes).

I've come to realize the following "lessons":

1. Given how much $ I end up spending, I should just decide on some sort of periodic "trade-in and buy" cycle, and commit to not changing all at once (like every third year get a new driver and woods, the next year get new wedges, every 5th year replace one of my iron sets, get a new / different putter style every so often so that I can switch those out as the mood strikes me, etc.)
2. When I do buy, I should just buy exactly what I want regardless of cost, and get it current model year (and commit to not buying another one until my time is up)
3. I'm also a ball "hoe", so same lessons above apply...I should trial a few models and then just buy 72 balls of the model I want (regardless of price) at the beginning of the season, or when Titleist runs their promotion in Feb / March.
4. Quit looking at the new equipment releases when I'm in an "off" year...at least for that club type

I spend a small fortune on clubs every year...I should just get exactly what I want and not try to buy on the cheap all the time.

my biggest problems is with irons. they're so shiny and pretty. have 5 or 6 iron sets (lost count) hoarded away in my house somewhere that haven't seen daylight for few months now.

not even sure what my problem is and that's the most frightening. i buy these sets on the off chance they might get some play, but they have never even hit a ball because all i'm looking for from my irons is that they feel good and they hit the ball close to the hole, which my current irons do.

unlike other clubs, i don't care about trajectory, spin rates, launch angle etc..

anyone else have this issue? just hoarding sets and sets of irons with never a chance to play them because you don't want to take your "good gamers" out of the bag?

716 T-MB 4 Modus3 125S
714 AP2 Modus3 125S
TVD M 50/54
TVD V 60

sorry OP,, i went off on a tangent. lesson to be learned from my previous post is to:

only buy clubs that you'll play or are in need of replacement due to wear or non-performance.

716 T-MB 4 Modus3 125S
714 AP2 Modus3 125S
TVD M 50/54
TVD V 60

Box up you GI or SGI irons and stash them for at least 6 months after you buy AP2s, MP54s, 6.0 shafts or similar better player irons ... you can really lose your a** when you realize you're just not that good and need to sell the new and re-buy your old sticks.

The Navy Vessel IV Pro bag:

Ping G425 Max Driver Alta CB Slate Sr

Ping G425 Max 5w / 7w Alta CB Slate R

Ping G425 4h / 5h Alta CB Slate R

Ping G425 5-UW Alta CB Slate R

Ping Glide 3.0 54° WS / 58° Eye2 Z-115

Seemore PCB 33"

Back-up Hoofer bag:

Ping Eye2+ 3-9 Aldila Low Torque Graphite, PW-SW KT Steel

[quote name='Titleist_242' timestamp='1430755973' post='11495533']
[quote name='MrFlapjack' timestamp='1430673112' post='11490437']
[/quote]

you just made this thread un-fun,, way to go sir now you got me worrying about retirement and not my next set of clubs.

there's always a party pooper in these threads lol
[/quote]

Every Ho must ask themselves at some point, "Will I be able to comfortably Ho in retirement?" and plan accordingly. Set up two automatic withdrawals, one for retirement, and one for club purchases only! Problem solved...

Cobra LTD HZRDUS 75g 6.5 (Synergy Black 70TX tipped 1/2")
Ping 2014 Rapture 3W - Blueboard 73x5ct
Cobra F8 3 hybrid (HZRDUS Black 85 6.5)
4 Hybrid...
Srixon Z545 5-AW (SF i110 stiff)
RTX 3.0 - 54 and 58 (SF i125 stiff)
Ping Ketsch Mid 

Make sure you enjoy the ride. If you question whether or not your having fun than it should be over. Try to keep the buying and selling to one item or set before the next (During the season). Winter is usually the biggest struggle. New equipment looks like it can solve anything until it comes out. I've resorted to buying older sets and getting them refurbished. You can go deeper into the worn cycle and get a new set to your specification. The trouble comes when the new Titleist prototype looks like a set you've been searching for from the past. Anyway I'm 2 iron sets from being done buying irons until I retire (Famous last word, but keeping a goal and finish line helps to slow the process). Drivers are every 2 years, wedges are once per year, putter and 3 wood won't change for 10 years if ever. This help narrow the focus on what to look at and what to stay away from.

Titleist 915 D4 Aldila Rogue 125 70TX
3 wood PXG 341 True Temper HZRDUS 75X
2 iron 716 TMB TTDG AMT X100
4-9 Epon AF-302 TTDG AMT ti X100
Vokey 46F, 50F, 54S, 60L TTDG ti S400
SC Circle T 009 Brushed Black Pearl 350g

1. Joining GolfWRX was a mistake for me mainly because it started my club hoing issue.

2. I sold a set of Bridgestone J40 CB's on here and regret it more than any other club sell I've made.

3. Because of those J40 CB's, I now second guess every sell I make and every purchase I make.

4. Because I'm a club ho, I'm never satisfied. I know what works best is the worst part about it.

Titleist 913D3 9.5* Diamana D+ 72s
Titleist 906F4 13.5* Fuji Rombax 8Z08 X
Titleist 712 CB 4-9, MB PW KBS Tour (HS1X)
Titleist SM5 52-08 & 58-07 S400's
Yes! Victoria II

[quote name='Titleist_242' timestamp='1430768669' post='11497081']
my biggest problems is with irons. they're so shiny and pretty. have 5 or 6 iron sets (lost count) hoarded away in my house somewhere that haven't seen daylight for few months now.

not even sure what my problem is and that's the most frightening. i buy these sets on the off chance they might get some play, but they have never even hit a ball because all i'm looking for from my irons is that they feel good and they hit the ball close to the hole, which my current irons do.

unlike other clubs, i don't care about trajectory, spin rates, launch angle etc..

anyone else have this issue? just hoarding sets and sets of irons with never a chance to play them because you don't want to take your "good gamers" out of the bag?
[/quote]

I think you're my doppelganger. I have 12 sets of irons. I've sold off many more sets than that. But they do get gamed. In terms of the sets I have at present:

AP1 710, Nippon 950GH reg. shafts - gamed for 2 years. Will never sell these.
Mizuno MX950, reg. graphite shafts - backup in case I need to go to graphite, not gamed yet
Mizuno MX950 ladies - just in case I meet a nice one who can be persuaded to play golf.......
Nike Pro Cavity, Aldila stiff shafts - gamed once, shafts too stiff so will swap in some reg flex Aldilas
Nike Pro Cavity, 85g reg. steel shafts - gamed twice, but shafts felt too light
TM RAC OS, reg shafts - gamed once, shafts a little light as above
TM RAC LT Nippon 950GH reg. shafts - gamed several times, I like this set
TM RAC LT Rifle 5.0 shafts - shafts a little stiff in long irons but short irons OK, never gamed, will swap shafts
Cobra Amp Forged Nippon 950GH reg. shafts - good feel, but need to be more on my game to game them
Cobra Amp Nippon 950GH reg. shafts - good feel, good distance, currently gaming these
Bridgestone J36, PX 5.0 Flighted - love the feel, shorter on distance than Amps, game them on par 3, 9 hole courses
Ping i20 - haven't arrived yet....... probably the first of many to come.

All the above have been really useful in telling me what shafts, swingweight (D2) and static weight (95-105g) I play best with. Also heads - I like cavities with polymer damping, medium size heads. I've been flirting with smaller heads like Amp Forged and J36 and they work in the short irons. More iffy in the longer irons. It's all been a good experience.