2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

How Nontraditional Are You As A Golfer?

We know everyone here loves golf and we all love to play vintage equipment. That already makes us oddballs of a sort when it comes to golf. What else separates you from the pack?

I have the Jolly Roger of Golf tattooed on the back of my left hand...

Devil%20Ball%202_zpsqpaifzmp.jpg

That pic was when it was fresh about 5 years ago.

All Forged, all the time.
The Sets that see regular playing time...
67 Spalding Top-Flite Professional, Cleveland Classic Persimmon Driver, 3 & 4 Spalding Top-Flite Persimmon Woods, TPM Putter.
71 Wilson Staff Button Backs, Wilson System 3000 Persimmon Driver, 3 & 5 Woods, Wilson Sam Snead Pay-Off Putter.
95 Snake Eyes S&W Forged, Snake Eyes 600T Driver, Viper MS 18* & 21* Woods, 252 & 258 Vokeys, Golfsmith Zero Friction Putter.
2015 Wilson Staff FG Tour F5, TaylorMade Superfast Driver, 16.5* Fairway, & 21* Hybrid, Harmonized SW & LW, Tour Edge Feel2 Putter.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got a straw fedora for the warm weather -- Chi Chi! (cool)

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

You mean I am the "wild man" here. LOL!

All Forged, all the time.
The Sets that see regular playing time...
67 Spalding Top-Flite Professional, Cleveland Classic Persimmon Driver, 3 & 4 Spalding Top-Flite Persimmon Woods, TPM Putter.
71 Wilson Staff Button Backs, Wilson System 3000 Persimmon Driver, 3 & 5 Woods, Wilson Sam Snead Pay-Off Putter.
95 Snake Eyes S&W Forged, Snake Eyes 600T Driver, Viper MS 18* & 21* Woods, 252 & 258 Vokeys, Golfsmith Zero Friction Putter.
2015 Wilson Staff FG Tour F5, TaylorMade Superfast Driver, 16.5* Fairway, & 21* Hybrid, Harmonized SW & LW, Tour Edge Feel2 Putter.

Yesterday, I wore sandals, cargo shorts (neat, not baggy) and a non-collared shirt that had Dick's Pour House on the front. Untucked as it was warm out, needed to let the breezes flow in. I hope that qualifies. I like being non-traditional.

I did play the Hogan classic bag, so that's traditional I guess.

I like Maxwell's idea of wearing Hawaiian shirts. No need to acquire any new golf shirts. Just go to the closet.

P.S. I wouldn't roll like this if the situation required something more appropriate. I do have some degree of decorum when the situation requires it. Well, maybe the sandals. Playing on Sunday afternoon with the Mrs. at the local muni is not one of those occasions. I didn't feel like changing when we decided to go play a quick nine.

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

[quote name='Fellaheen51' timestamp='1436783192' post='11937954']
Yesterday, I wore sandals, cargo shorts (neat, not baggy) and a non-collared shirt that had Dick's Pour House on the front. Untucked as it was warm out, needed to let the breezes flow in. I hope that qualifies. I like being non-traditional.
[/quote]

Love it! Right outa Margaritaville! :victory:

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

This can be a somewhat loaded question. Actually I do not fit in either way all the way usually. I play metal woods with 40 year old irons so I am abnormal with the newer crowd. Then with you guys here I do not always play strictly persimmon either. I guess I am middle of the road so to speak lost between two worlds. But then again I have always marched to the beat of my own drummer. But you folks put up with me and I am grateful

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W-- Callaway RAZR-- Speeder 565 R Flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

[quote name='jonnygrouville' timestamp='1436432330' post='11915144']
I am at least ten years younger than all of my golf clubs.
[/quote]I actually have one set of clubs that are older than me and that is my pre WW2 Armours and I do have a few wedges that are older than me come to think of it and possibly a couple of my Cash In putters may be older than I am

I'm probably also non-traditional in the way I play alone, and will skip holes to get in the open areas between foursomes. Usually there's a big gap of a few holes with nobody on them and I figure why not go there?

Then, once civil twilight kicks in I am usually free to go back and play the holes I skipped as everyone has cleared the course.

I've played a lot where I have to listen for my ball, or to walk out and start doing a grid search to find it. I've parred under those conditions.

Actually Steve I do the same thing at my home course especially when walking. I even do as I done as a kid on the course my Dad ran. I will play cross country golf making up holes from different spots. It can be interesting

Is making Love on the green at both my club and Oakmont count?

My club was to fulfill a dream-

Oakmont?

To win a $100 bet from my jerk-off Best Friend ;)

Otherwise, and I don't know if this counts but I've worn the black FJ rain glove since it's introduction cuz I sweat like a pig in the summer and then I kept it on cuz I did ok and I'm kinda superstitious, lol.

Plus, I wear darker shirts with black slacks and pink shirts/black slacks on last days of tourneys so the black looks ok, haha

I did have ink on my left upper arm, "one shot-one win," which was my Teacher's mantra and became mine for both the game and life though it faded and then I had it removed for a GF-

I was a Putz-

I can't believe that I did that-

Talk about Stoneless ;)

Well, have a great weekend Gals & Gents :)

All the Best,
Richard

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

[quote name='Forged4ever' timestamp='1437753705' post='12012654']

Oakmont?

Otherwise, and I don't know if this counts but I've worn the black FJ rain glove since it's introduction cuz I sweat like a pig in the summer and then I kept it on cuz I did ok and I'm kinda superstitious, lol.

Plus, I wear darker shirts with black slacks and pink shirts/black slacks on last days of tourneys so the black looks ok, haha

I did have ink on my left upper arm, "one shot-one win," which was my Teacher's mantra and became mine for both the game and life though it faded and then I had it removed for a GF-

I was a Putz-

Talk about Stoneless ;)

All the Best,
Richard
[/quote]Well when you get your butt down here to play golf with me get it put back on! We have plenty of tattoo shops here and it is legal in SC!

[quote name='BIG STU' timestamp='1437776618' post='12014802']

Oakmont?

I was a Putz-

Talk about Stoneless ;)

Well, have a great weekend Gals &amp; Gents :)

All the Best,
Richard
[/quote]Well when you get your butt down here to play golf with me get it put back on! We have plenty of tattoo shops here and it is legal in SC!
[/quote]

I'm not a tattoo guy at all, but if golf continues to help me grow up, maybe one day. Probably wouldn't recognize myself if I were suddenly decisive and unafraid of pain!

MODERN:
Yonex eZone 380 10*, Callaway X2 Hot Pro 4w 17*
Callaway Big Bertha Heavenwood 4-7h
Royal Collection Tour VS 8-PW
Fourteen MT28 J.Spec 52*, Yururi Chili 57*, Cleveland CG15 64*
Titleist Scotty Cameron Newport Beach
--------
CLASSIC (under construction):
'62 Hogan Power Thrust irons
--------
HICKORY:
Jack White JWX Model D driver, brassie & spoon
Mills BSD1 aluminium cleek
Tom Stewart mashie & niblick
George Nicoll spade mashie
Tom Morris mashie niblick
Gibson Skoogee niblick
Spalding HB putter

Oakmont?

I was a Putz-

Talk about Stoneless ;)

All the Best,
Richard
[/quote]It's a deal!!

Count on it!!!

You're gonna be my first vacation!!

Have a great weekend Bro :)

My Best,
Richard

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

[quote name='Forged4ever' timestamp='1437821559' post='12017042']

Oakmont?

I was a Putz-

Talk about Stoneless ;)

All the Best,
Richard
[/quote]It's a deal!!

Count on it!!!

You're gonna be my first vacation!!

Have a great weekend Bro :)

My Best,
Richard
[/quote]Looking forward to both you getting in good health again and you coming down here to play too!!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I wear running shoes when I play and I never play with more than 7 clubs. I don't know if that makes me nontraditional but probably. I just do things differently because i'm a lefty. You could say that is not traditional either. Side note I dont run I just like how they feel.

150PSP System-Witb

Tour Edge Bazooka Platinum 20*

Cobra Baffler XL 6 Hybrid 

Mazel Chipper PW

Heavy Putter Light Weight Q2

Bridgestone e6 Ball

Yep, I'm with you M39 regarding footwear. Believe I've spent my last $ on golf shoes. Especially so once I went spikeless two seasons ago. Invested in a pair of Ecco Bio Hybrids. Very comfortable, although no more so than a good pair of running shoes. And now, the sole has split on one of them. Before the "spikes" have even worn out. WTF. Never again.

In the fall and spring, when wet and cool, taken to wearing my Merrill Gore-Tex hiking shoes. Feets stay warm and dry. Never slip. During the heat of the summer, wear Keen hiking sandals, feets stay cool. Never slip. Often when going to the range, just wear the running/athletic shoe of the day. Can't seem to notice any difference compared to wearing "golf" shoes relative to staying firmly planted on the ground. But I don't have a 100+ mph SS, so not torquing the feet in anyway. So now, I ask myself, what's the point of golf shoes. There are running shoes out there that have sole tread patterns that look pretty much the same as these spikeless shoes. Even more aggressive in some instances.

Somewhere around here last season, there was a discussion of wearing Converse All-Stars on the course. Big Stu was one I remember, for a health benefit. Plus mentioning that with the Cons, there was a sensation of the feet being closer to the ground. Whatever works.

During a recent stroll through a LGS shoe section, examining the fresh merch, I would be hard pressed to find one pair that I would want to spend my $ on. Most were positively hideous. Now, if one likes the look of a traditional golf shoe, or has the requirement for wearing such at Bushwood C.C., then I guess there are still a couple of shoes out there that fit the bill. But I don't roll my game in those circles 99% of the time. Nobody cares what I adorn my feet with. "Don't believe the hype" no 'mor.

End of "Old Guy" shoe rant. Get off my lawn.

Before the great 1000 year flood I had no less than 6 of dedicated "golf shoes." Ecco, Footjoy, 3 soft spike, 3 spikeless.

Rarely wore them if at the range, or practicing chipping/putting. Wore the spikeless if I walked a full round, the soft spikes if I had to ride.

After the Converse nostalgia i picked up a couple of pair. Can't tell much of a difference if any except if there is wet, loose grass underfoot, then I tend to spin out a bit.

Matches the persona with the old clubs, old bag, old towel, old hippie.

And my feet thank me at the end of the day.

Picked up some items at the local Goodwill yesterday that I will be repurposeing into a "Sunday bag."

Too wet to play at the moment, so I am stoked about the project.

While I usually play in hiking shoes, the once a tradition that is probably no longer a tradition is not being a walking/riding billboard advertising the clubs I play. There was a time when the average golfer didn't want to look like a Sunday player and play like a Monday qualifier.

But I have decided to take it a little further. I use Top Flite Tour headcovers that I got on eBay regardless of what my real clubs are. Plain green cart bag with those headcovers suits me just fine.

John

While I usually play in hiking shoes, the once a tradition that is probably no longer a tradition is not being a walking/riding billboard advertising the clubs I play. There was a time when the average golfer didn't want to look like a Sunday player and play like a Monday qualifier.

But I have decided to take it a little further. I use Top Flite Tour headcovers that I got on eBay regardless of what my real clubs are. Plain green cart bag with those headcovers suits me just fine.

John

In general, I concur. But a paradox arises. Being a "walking billboard" for latest and greatest, doesn't qualify one as being non-traditional IMO. But, herein lies the paradox, if your gear says MacGregor, Spaulding, Hogan, etc., one enters the realm of being non-traditional (i.e. contrarian). Especially when said gear is a mash-up of different things constructed of iron and wood.

Perfectly acceptable by "Classical" standards without appearing a Tool. In fact, says to those at the course, I walk to a different beat. Quality of one's actual game has no standing in the discussion. Just wave a copy of Hogan's "Five Lessons" at them and announce that you're working on some swing things.

You guys with your thread titles!!!

You should know better than to use phases like, "how non traditional..."

You know someone, out here in never never interwebland is going to be minding his, or her, own business, perhaps, relaxing with a morning coffee, after a brisk power walk on the beach, and can't shake the thought of,"nontradional...I wonder...

Twisted, evil thoughts for Thursday's bone chilling cold start to our senior traveling tournament season are entering my mind.

It's going to be cold, probably wet, and they already have labeled me eccentric at best, so what not raise my own bar by not only showing up with wood and forged minimalist, but every club from a different set? Kind of like a rag tag bag of All Stars taken from partial sets, or one offs I have accumulated over the past few years.

Could go wood less if I reshaft that Hogan 1 iron...

If this is what happens to you guys every winter up north, the mind wandering like Mick Dundee on a walkabout, I'll stay down south where the climate is genteel....well, most of the time at least.

I'd have to say I'm completely non-traditional. After watching golf yesterday, most of the pros like Ricky are wearing highlighter colors. I guess that nonsense filters down to the masses.

As for me, I like wearing the long sleeve OCBD shirts with a cotton vest and khaki's. As non traditional as it gets today. Even better with vintage clubs and a Kangol. For warmer weather, short sleeves, either bought that way, or just sleeves cut off on a worn shirt.

I'd even wear a tie, but that would get me strung up by my heels.

No plus fours for me, just don't like short pants.