2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Olympics Golf: The Official Discussion Thread (merged)

GolfGrouch

The Olympics are Turning Rio into a Military State

http://motherboard.v...-military-state

Every CICC creates multi-layer information streams, including social media, traffic sensors, and more. They're connected to a huge network of cameras, up to 4,000 depending on the city, and cameras and traffic signals can be operated directly from the centers. During the Olympics, each arena will also have its own integrated security center, and all of this will be coordinated by the CICC in Brasilia.

Professor Fernanda Bruno, a researcher at the Federal University of Rio, presented some of her work on the CICC and COR at a recent seminar on surveillance and privacy in São Paulo. She showed the audience how, using the IBM-designed system at COR, an operator could easily select a specific area on a map and see all the tweets in that area. The user interface she demonstrated is about as complicated as Google maps, and it’s not hard to imagine how law enforcement could use this capability during a protest.

But that’s not all. The police have at least 27 mobile CICCs, outfitted with six mobile cameras, audio surveillance, and more that are left over from the World Cup. Rio has also purchased four “monitoring balloons,” which have 13 cameras that feed images remotely to the CICC. These balloons can work at up to 200 meters above sea level and cover a 10 square kilometer area, allowing police to easily scan huge crowds. They can operate for 72 hours before landing.

1465490116563721.jpg

Almost as high tech as>

6581-5002.gif

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They say the tech is so advanced it can differentiate between a javelin and a flying severed arm from up to 5 miles away

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Srixon ZX 19h w/PX hzrdus Red 80

Mizuno MP241 4-PW w/KBS Ctaper LITE

Mizuno MP24 52 w/KBS Ctaper LITE

Cleveland RTX6 60/10--Spinner

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

They say the tech is so advanced it can differentiate between a javelin and a flying severed arm from up to 5 miles away

Unfortunately, being in NYC, I guess you get used to it. Think there have been 4 in the past 3 months

New York’s Grim Sign of Spring: Floating Corpses

http://blogs.wsj.com/metropolis/2011/05/24/new-yorks-grim-sign-of-spring-floating-corpses/

As far as Rio, there are going to be 85,000 troops/police for 500,000 tourists. That about a cop for every 5 tourists.

The Olympics are Turning Rio into a Military State

http://motherboard.v...-military-state

Every CICC creates multi-layer information streams, including social media, traffic sensors, and more. They're connected to a huge network of cameras, up to 4,000 depending on the city, and cameras and traffic signals can be operated directly from the centers. During the Olympics, each arena will also have its own integrated security center, and all of this will be coordinated by the CICC in Brasilia.

Professor Fernanda Bruno, a researcher at the Federal University of Rio, presented some of her work on the CICC and COR at a recent seminar on surveillance and privacy in São Paulo. She showed the audience how, using the IBM-designed system at COR, an operator could easily select a specific area on a map and see all the tweets in that area. The user interface she demonstrated is about as complicated as Google maps, and it’s not hard to imagine how law enforcement could use this capability during a protest.

But that’s not all. The police have at least 27 mobile CICCs, outfitted with six mobile cameras, audio surveillance, and more that are left over from the World Cup. Rio has also purchased four “monitoring balloons,” which have 13 cameras that feed images remotely to the CICC. These balloons can work at up to 200 meters above sea level and cover a 10 square kilometer area, allowing police to easily scan huge crowds. They can operate for 72 hours before landing.

1465490116563721.jpg

Almost as high tech as>

6581-5002.gif

Looks impressive...

However, if they can't afford to pay anyone to monitor the monitors, that sort of defeats the purpose.

And I suspect those 85,000 officers have to keep an eye on the millions of residents along with the 500,000 tourists.

I'm going to go out on a limb here.............I pray that I'm Sooooooo wrong with this, but here goes:.........I think we'll see something catastrophic (1972 Munich) from the games. There's just to much going on there with overall safety in question and the way terrorists think, there can't be a better target. Again, I hope I'm wrong..........

Unfortunately, being in NYC, I guess you get used to it. Think there have been 4 in the past 3 months

http://blogs.wsj.com...oating-corpses/

As far as Rio, there are going to be 85,000 troops/police for 500,000 tourists. That about a cop for every 5 tourists.

For the bold and italicized part, you're also assuming that those people are going to get paid. There has been more than one link to articles that the police aren't getting paid now as well as the mayor of Rio basically saying "they're out of money" to pay the public workers who are needed most in these situations. I don't see that improving a whole lot at this point, but I'm really hoping that I'm wrong there.

I'm going to go out on a limb here.............I pray that I'm Sooooooo wrong with this, but here goes:.........I think we'll see something catastrophic (1972 Munich) from the games. There's just to much going on there with overall safety in question and the way terrorists think, there can't be a better target. Again, I hope I'm wrong..........

Munich had minimal security and pretty much ZERO armed security as Germany wanted to convey a "softer" image.

Rio/Olympics is hardly exclusive in terms of being a potential terror target. And they *know* they are a target and will have overwhelming security.

A tragedy can happen, but these days, it can really happen anywhere and at least at Rio, there will be major security in very high alert constantly.

Just to play devils advocate, since it is a discussion. The german police and military were very much present, but not in uniform. Just look at the pictures of heavily armed responders, no uniforms, but aside from that, the attack was centered against the Israeli athletes and was more of a hostage situation. Not like the threats we see todays with massive explosions and indiscriminate targets.

Granted, Rio is not exclusive, but it's a once in 4 year target that surely would get total world wide attention and outrage, more then what has transpired already around the globe. As far as overwhelming security, as of now, from who?........The police, according to offered reports aren't getting paid (possible strike). Perhaps the military steps in, but as of yet, there's been no information stating as such. They can have all the technology in the world in place, but if there's nobody to monitor and nobody to respond, it's worthless.

Yes, a tragedy can happen anywhere, but again, with the terrorists why of thinking, this would be monumental. Even if the security issues are worked out and it's tighter than a drum, it still would be "the" major target for these criminals.............

Again, I pray that it doesn't happen, but it's pure speculation and nothing more. Just something to discuss above the zika and local criminals and body parts floating in and polluted water and whatever else is lurking down there.

http://blogs.wsj.com...oating-corpses/

Unfortunately its not the tourists that are the problem. It's the 6 million residents.

Just to play devils advocate, since it is a discussion. The german police and military were very much present, but not in uniform. Just look at the pictures of heavily armed responders, no uniforms, but aside from that, the attack was centered against the Israeli athletes and was more of a hostage situation. Not like the threats we see todays with massive explosions and indiscriminate targets.

Granted, Rio is not exclusive, but it's a once in 4 year target that surely would get total world wide attention and outrage, more then what has transpired already around the globe. As far as overwhelming security, as of now, from who?........The police, according to offered reports aren't getting paid (possible strike). Perhaps the military steps in, but as of yet, there's been no information stating as such. They can have all the technology in the world in place, but if there's nobody to monitor and nobody to respond, it's worthless.

Yes, a tragedy can happen anywhere, but again, with the terrorists why of thinking, this would be monumental. Even if the security issues are worked out and it's tighter than a drum, it still would be "the" major target for these criminals.............

Again, I pray that it doesn't happen, but it's pure speculation and nothing more. Just something to discuss above the zika and local criminals and body parts floating in and polluted water and whatever else is lurking down there.

Look into it more.

There was very lax security and no armed security at all. The armed responders to which you refer>

A small squad of German police was dispatched to the Olympic village. Dressed in Olympic sweatsuits and carrying submachine guns, these were members of the German border-police, poorly-trained, and without specific operational plans in place for the rescue. The police took up positions awaiting orders that never came. In the meantime, camera crews filmed the actions of the police from German apartments, and broadcast the images live on television. The terrorists were therefore able to watch the police as they prepared to attack. Footage shows the terrorists leaning over to look at the police who were in hiding on the roof. In the end, after Issa threatened to kill two of the hostages, the police left the premises.

http://www.newworlde...Munich_massacre

For Rio, they hosted the world cup two years ago with over 1MM tourists coming to Rio. However, the Olympic events are spread out more so, yes, there are more potential targets to defend.

OK, so the police were poorly trained and nobody gave instructions as what to do. yes it was a total cluster "f", but that was then and things have drastically changed. In the for what's it's worth category, Israel knew of the threat and from what I've read, their people were also on the scene, but were advised not to act. How true that is/was, who really knows. Back then, everything was on a learning curve and apparently, the terrorists were/are the only one's that really learned anything.

They should have played the golf on an existing course elsewhere. It's a shame that a couple weeks after the Olympics this course will be abandoned and all that time and money will go to waste.

But then it will fit in with most of the other Olympic venues.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

Could be a damn sight worse. Travelers could be confronted with this "welcome to hell" sign:

WelcomeOrlandoAirport.jpg

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

I've been to Rio, Paris, Orlando and Istanbul... and, I'll gladly take my chances and go to them all again. But I like to travel... they built a brand new course just for this event? Hell yeah, let me go play it and represent my country. My handicap is too high though...

I've been in Rio just like I was in Manhattan in the 80's. You learn what trains or buses not to take, develop some street smarts, and you accept the realities of the society you live in.

I almost get killed daily anyways by some soccer mom drinking coffee while on a cell phone... whatever... if your number is up, it's up.

I've been to Rio, Paris, Orlando and Istanbul... and, I'll gladly take my chances and go to them all again. But I like to travel... they built a brand new course just for this event? Hell yeah, let me go play it and represent my country. My handicap is too high though...

I've been in Rio just like I was in Manhattan in the 80's. You learn what trains or buses not to take, develop some street smarts, and you accept the realities of the society you live in.

I almost get killed daily anyways by some soccer mom drinking coffee while on a cell phone... whatever... if your number is up, it's up.

Damn straight, YOLO baby.
Cobra fly z+ Aldila rogue black
TM aero burner mini driver aldila rogue black
TM R9 3&5 wood stock
2016 mizuno jpx ez 4-gw
Cleveland cg16 50,56,62
Odyssey black series #5

"do golfers- like everyone else- need a drug test?"

Lots of you are going to hate my reply but it's not uninformed...

It started out as a method to treat injuries of star players. It morphed into an injury prevention role as well

as a way to quickly recover from marathon training and range sessions. Recovery is what steroids are really all

about. Then the apparel companies started to nudge their key endorsers to look more "athletic". A buff

players sells far more shirts than a Tim Herron. Let's face it, a top clothing endorsement will get you more

dollars than golf ever could.

Steroids are everywhere. The guys on tour grew up with them in the high school locker rooms. They are so good

now that they are pretty much free of unintended side effects. Plus the intended effects are perfectly dialed

in. When you see Lance Armstrong with his shirt off, the picture doesn't scream "steroids". And yet he is the

poster boy of cheating. Every top UFC fighter, football player, hockey player, soccer players, tennis, plus

EVERY buff hollywood actor...are all on the juice now. The stakes are too high and the rewards are too big to

ignore. Plus they are incredibly safe now. The old bodybuilders and wrestlers are all dying off from steroid

related issues but what they had then was pure crap compared to what is available today.

Sports are entertainment. There are too many dollars at stake to get real testing in place. The guys in every

tested sport are given notice of potential test dates. The current drugs will leave the body pretty quick. 2

weeks off and you will have no worries of testing hot. Even Lance never tested positive. He just admitted it.

The net effect is that drug testing in pro sports only catches the completely brain dead people now. There is

absolutely zero incentive to catch the stars of any professional sport. The Olympics are a whole different deal

though. I'm guessing there will be a rash of injuries and Zeka virus concerns that will keep the buff stars out

of the Olympics. The PGA tour has strong Kung Fu but even they may not be able to control the testing there.

Golf's turn is coming. Books are being researched right now.

don't want to throw a kink in your schpiel but, golfers and professional athletes don't have to turn to steriods -- there are much safer means of rehabilitation now adays, to help aid recovery. i'm not saying it doesn't happen, but there ARE other ways. i DGAF about actors in hollywood shootin juice -- that's their own business (literally, their livelyhood depends on movie roles).

btw, what if any steroids would help a pro golfer? last time i checked the only guy jacked out of his mind was tiger/rory, and i'm pretty sure Rory at least has been earning it the old fashioned way (sh*t, just follow insta/twitter, dood lives in the gym).

don't use golfers as a platform for soapboxing b/c honestly it's probably the least doped sport of them all, other than power walking.

books will always be coming but it's all ball bearings these days, people read tablets.

PEDs aren't always about getting "jacked." Often it's about recovery and the ability to train harder while avoiding injury. A runner might be able to do four hard sessions a week on PEDs vs. three without. A golfer could hit 1,000 balls five days a week vs. four. Extend that over years and it eventually adds up.

FYI, race-walking is one of the most doped sports.

Could be a damn sight worse. Travelers could be confronted with this "welcome to hell" sign:

WelcomeOrlandoAirport.jpg

Seriously? The Orlando area is a very nice place to live and visit. It's like golf heaven, and many pros choose to live there for a reason. Making any comparison to Rio is ridiculous.

----------------
Golf Jobs
Driver: Titleist TS3 9.5 w/ Tensei Blue 55 S
3W: Titleist 915F 15 w/ Diamana D+ 80 S
3H: Titleist 915H 21 w/ Diamana D+ 90 S
Irons: 4-GW Titleist T100 w/ Project X LZ 6.0
Wedge: Vokey SM8 54.10S TC w/ Project X LZ 6.0

Wedge: Vokey SM8 60.04L TC w/ Project X LZ 6.0
Ball: 2021 Titleist ProV1

spacer.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

http://www.independent.ie/sport/golf/bad-news-for-rory-mcilroy-as-zika-virus-reaches-homestead-florida-34924874.html

Bad news for Rory McIlroy as Zika virus reaches homestead Florida

Having cited the risk of contracting the Zika virus as their reason for withdrawing from the Rio Olympics, Rory McIlroy and Graeme McDowell, whose wife is pregnant, will be seriously unsettled to hear that it has been detected in Florida, where they both live.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/golf/bad-news-for-rory-mcilroy-as-zika-virus-reaches-homestead-florida-34924874.html

Having cited the risk of contracting the Zika virus as their reason for withdrawing from the Rio Olympics, Rory McIlroy and Graeme McDowell, whose wife is pregnant, will be seriously unsettled to hear that it has been detected in Florida, where they both live.

Not in their particular county yet for mosquito to human transmission, but close.

http://www.independe...a-34924874.html

The fact that mosquitoes carrying the Zika virus have been detected in Florida should be unsettling and of great concern to everyone in the US and particularly to those of us who live in the Southeast US. The tone of your post is extremely insensitive.

[i]The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind. -Bob Dylan[/i]
[i]Everything is dust in the wind. -Kansas[/i]

http://www.independe...a-34924874.html

The fact that mosquitoes carrying the Zika virus have been detected in Florida should be unsettling and of great concern to everyone in the US and particularly to those of us who live in the Southeast US. The tone of your post is extremely insensitive.

I posted a news article, thats it, the quotes are from the article. And I cant see any insensitivity in it, btw, just a brief summary of facts. The article uses the same word you do, "unsettling/ed".

And yes

Its of great concern as I have friends family there and its bound to make its way everywhere. We have lots of skitos up here as well.

Meantime, it seems our elected officials are dropping the ball on funding measures to deal with it.