2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Olympics Golf: The Official Discussion Thread (merged)

GolfGrouch

:taunt: @ Fowler. His legs are weak from that Olympic booty.

You just coined a phrase.

Olympics+Day+2+Beach+Volleyball+gPNSPM26--el.jpg

I like it. :pimp:

Though from personal experience, British women aren't exactly known for "booty." :cheesy:

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Without Teddy Scott, Bubba is lost.

He needs him out there. Definitely.

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

Does anyone else think the announcers are trying a little too hard to pump Olympic golf, and trying to create excitement that is just not really there?

Would you prefer they try to make the event less exciting?

At times the announcers are just over-doing it - trying way too hard to convince their viewing audience that (1) the golf course is better than it really is, (2) that the golf being played is better than it really is, and (3) that playing in the Olympics is the most important event in these player's lifetime (which is what was claimed that Justin Rose said).

In fairness Bubba said he would rather win gold here than get a major, and Justin has been very vocal about wanting to win a gold medal as part of his golfing legacy and has placed this event along side the majors. Wether it is true or not, many of the golfers that showed up have claimed the event is important to them in a very significant way.

Lets face it, it has been 100+ years since someone won gold in golf, and the way this event went, it could be 100 more so who ever wins will have done something very unique.

People like to criticize.

"No excitement in the first few days."

Same as in sailing.

And my favourite: "It should have been a team event."

Can somebody try and explain the logic behind this obsession?

There are team sports and individual sports. Golf is an individual sport.

There is also no team event in the shotput, or in javelin throwing, or in cycling (at least on the road), or in pistol or rifle shooting. In general, there are no team events in individual sports, aside from the relay races in athletics and swimming, but those have a tradition all of their own. And there is no team event in tennis, only doubles, which also is something that happens year round in every tournament. So why on earth should the return of golf to the Olympics, of all sports, be a team event?

But yes, the field should have been made up differently, 120 players, top 100 qualified, with a max of 4 per nation like in many other sports, in which three or four countries account for most world class participants (like speed skating or cross country skiing in the Winter Olympics). The spots, which become free because of that, should be filled by qualifiers from certain tournaments, amateurs among them and by the number one players of those countries who do not have top players. And there should have been a cut. This would have made more sense in my view.

I see a gap. There definitely is a gap.

Same as in sailing.

There is also no team event in the shotput, or in javelin throwing, or in cycling (at least on the road), or in pistol or rifle shooting. In general, there are no team events in individual sports, aside from the relay races in athletics and swimming, but those have a tradition all of their own. And there is no team event in tennis, only doubles, which also is something that happens year round in every tournament. So why on earth should the return of golf to the Olympics, of all sports, be a team event?

But yes, the field should have been made up differently, 120 players, top 100 qualified, with a max of 4 per nation like in many other sports, in which three or four countries account for most world class participants (like speed skating or cross country skiing in the Winter Olympics). The spots, which become free because of that, should be filled by qualifiers from certain tournaments, amateurs among them and by the number one players of those countries who do not have top players. And there should have been a cut. This would have made more sense in my view.

Good points. I do think however a match play format would have been great. Maybe next time.

Anyone want to predict what this course will look like next year at this time?

I'll hazard a guess that within 5 years, it will have been plowed under by the billionaire developer who owns it (and who owns those god-awful ugly high rise condos/Olympic village that we are forced to look at) and turned into even more eyesore ugly high rise condos.

Golf has never been solely an individual sport. There have been team events, and various scoring methods, used throughout the modern era. The point of those who would like to see a different format is that making it just like every other weekly tour event makes it feel like every other weekly tour event. Maybe when, unlike swimming or gymnastics, the Olympics isn't the pinnacle of your sport, you need to try a little harder to create some drama for the casual fan.

"Same as in sailing." Yep, and just like sailing, the only people who will watch will be people who already love the sport.

Driver: TaylorMade Sim2 Max - 10.5*
Fairway: Callaway Epic Max - 15*, 21*, 25*

Hybrid:  Ping G425 30*
Irons: TaylorMade Stealth 7-AW
Wedges: PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II 56* 

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II 62*
Putter:  Directed Force 2.1
Ball:  Callaway Chrome Soft

And the US is off to an indifferent start...Bubba appears lost, Kuch back-dooring his way to a 69, Reed showing the faintest glimmer of form, and Dick Fowler is obviously gassed from trolling for snatch the last 6 nights.

Here's hoping they get off to a better start tomorrow (or at least not 4 putt the first green - that's right, I'm talking to you, Fowler).

I am enjoying it. Wind made it tricky. Top Aussie shot a great score.

XR16 Driver 11.5 Prolaunch Blue Axis reg spine aligned FLOed 45.25" 245y
Adams Speed Line Fast 12 Fairway 17 degrees stock Prolaunch Blue Speedcoat reg spine aligned FLOed 220y
Wilson19.5 Fybrid FY(fairway bridge) stock reg Prolaunch V2 spine aligned FLOed 200y
Adams Super Pro 23 Hybrid Stock Prolaunch Platinium reg spine aligned FLOed 190y
i25 Black Dot 4i-9i Z-Z65 1/2" Long(4-7i with bounce grind) 180-130y
i25 Black Dot UW weakened to 48 Z-Z65 1/2" Long 115y
TM TP 52-9(bent to 53) DG SL300(close match to Z-Z65) 1/2" long 100y
TM TP 58-10(bent to 59 bounce ground to 6) DG SL300(close match to Z-Z65) 1/4" long 85y
Evnroll ER5 370g Hatchback 34" No 30g counterweight 69 degrees Lie 4 Loft Winn Jumbo Lite Pistol 59g Grip Black Tone
All 13 grips GP MCC+4 Grey Logo hidden/down midsize +1 tape layer
Callaway Chrome Soft Ball White
Mizuno Skintite Glove

Julieta Granada on the GC morning drive carrying the flag for Paraguay in the Olympics... I thought the Olympics was supposed to be the best athletes in their respective sport from around the world? Shes only made 8 of 20 cuts on the LPGA tour this year, where is the excitment in that? Its nothing against her but if she is the best Paraguay has to offer then they just dont qualify for the games this year... She makes a nice living on the LPGA and is deserving of her status there but this is the Olympics and supposed to be next level top tier type golf.

Sadly, the Olympics have never really been the best athletes in the world at each sport - that just a bull squat NBC tagline. Otherwise, not all countries could "participate". They force some of the better ones from each sport to stay home. Golf, sadly, is no different.

Julieta Granada on the GC morning drive carrying the flag for Paraguay in the Olympics... I thought the Olympics was supposed to be the best athletes in their respective sport from around the world? Shes only made 8 of 20 cuts on the LPGA tour this year, where is the excitment in that? Its nothing against her but if she is the best Paraguay has to offer then they just dont qualify for the games this year... She makes a nice living on the LPGA and is deserving of her status there but this is the Olympics and supposed to be next level top tier type golf.

Sadly, the Olympics have never really been the best athletes in the world at each sport - that just a bull squat NBC tagline. Otherwise, not all countries could "participate". They force some of the better ones from each sport to stay home. Golf, sadly, is no different.

635856276503585373-2015-12-13-Katie-Ledecky.jpg

And the US is off to an indifferent start...Bubba appears lost, Kuch back-dooring his way to a 69, Reed showing the faintest glimmer of form, and Dick Fowler is obviously gassed from trolling for snatch the last 6 nights.

I didn't watch much, but was delighted I got to hear Johnny Miller awkwardly (would you expect anything different from Johnny?) suggest that Rickie has been busy chasing tail since the Olympics started...

Same as in sailing.

Golf already already has more than enough 72 hole individual stroke play events - events that will always be better and more prestigious than the Olympics. So why not try something like 2-person teams? Teams also fit well with the nationalist bent of the Olympics.

While we don't see it that much of it at the professional level, there is plenty of team golf played world-wide.

Not sure where you got the idea that there a sport is either a team sport _or_ an individual sport. There are many, many sports that have both forms: swimming, track, XC skiing, speedskating (relay and pursuit), gymnastics, fencing, rowing, luge, tennis, biathlon, badminton...

They told me to watch Olympic golf and an opposite field event broke out. Is this the Puerto Rico open?

Tsr2 8 or Tsi3 9 with Whiteboard 73 stiff Rombax 7z08
Titleist 910f 15 diamana whiteboard 83 stiff

titleist 818h2 with atmos stiff
titleist 710 mb 4-pw or Mizuno 919 Tour 4-pw or....
Vokey 52,56
Lajosi dd201 about 20 other putters

Would like to see 36 hole stroke play qualifier then take the top 32 for a match play event for the medals, with a 36 hole final match for the top 3.

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

22 Olympic medals...and counting...

22 Olympic medals...and counting...

He beat Jack's record the other night lol

Problem with "playing for your Country" is you are playing for your Country. So Reed, Bubba and Fowler are all steaming piles right now and Phil Mickelson is clamoring to set up a committee to figure out how to win at Olympic golf. Here's an idea to US Olympic and Ryder Cup players, stop being spoiled, over marketed millionaires and go compete.

TaylorMade Qi10 Core 10.5 HZRDUS Smoke Green 60 6.5TX Hulk

TaylorMade SIM Max 12 HZRDUS Black 4Gen 60 6.0

Srixon ZX4 MkII 4 iron Nippon Modus 105X

Srixon ZX5 MkII 5-PW Nippon Modus 105X

Cleveland RTX 48 DG120 X100

Cleveland RTX 6 52 & 56 DG120 X100

Cleveland Full Face 60 DG Spinner

Bettinardi BB28

Just for one example, Jessica Hardy is "one of" the best 100M breastrokers in the world, but she wasn't at this Olympics since the US can only bring a set number of swimmers to each event.

Ever heard of Eddie the Eagle??

Side note, has Lily apologized to that hot Russian chick yet for being a loudmouth, ill-informed american?

Side note, has Lily apologized to that hot Russian chick yet for being a loudmouth, ill-informed american?

No need. She let her swimming do her talking for her.

Johnny doesn't sound too excited about being in Rio lol

Lol'ing at how NBC is trying to spin Rick's performance today. "Maybe he was out partying"- Roger Maltbie lol

He's been out partying since about February by the looks of things.

And Roger certainly knows what partying is all about.

Well he hasn't been practicing the right things then because I know a lot of guys who can go hard and show up the next day...and they are a lot older than Rick.

Would like to see 36 hole stroke play qualifier then take the top 32 for a match play event for the medals, with a 36 hole final match for the top 3.

They don't have time for that and that would be 7 rounds of golf, plus practice in a span of 6 days. These guys wouldn't have it.

Had a friend who played and won the state am, 8 rounds in four days plus practice. He was still feeling it 2 weeks later.

Pro Caddie & I teach golf

Driver: PXG 9* ; HZDRUS Handcrafted 63 6.0

Long Game: PXG 13*, PXG 16*; HZDRUS Handcrafted 83 6.5 (flip between the two)

Driving Iron: PXG 0311 4 iron bent 17.5*; ProForce VTS 100HX 

Hybrid: PXG Gen 1 19*; HZDRUS Handcrafted 100 6.5

Irons: NIKE CB 4-PW Raw finish ; Aldila RIP Tour SLT 115 Tour Stiff (.25 inch gapping)

Wedges: Titleist SM9 50*, 54*; True Temper DG S300 (36 inches)

L-Wedge: Custom 60*; KBS Tour Stiff (36 inches)

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Design #5 35 inches: Super Stroke GP Tour

Ball: ProV1x

Just for one example, Jessica Hardy is "one of" the best 100M breastrokers in the world, but she wasn't at this Olympics since the US can only bring a set number of swimmers to each event.

"Hot Russian chick"

You seem to be riveted to the screen for the games. Good to see ; )

Hey Rory - you didn't miss anything by not watching golf at the Olympics.

[size=4][font=comic sans ms,cursive][b][color=#006400][i]I'm back on the tour playing again...[img]http://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.clublexus.com-vbulletin/42x27/80-yahoo_c1e85bb914542fdc9f0f5b3c66f5ed93fa601ccf.gif[/img] [/i][/color][/b][/font][/size]

was not expecting Rickie to be second last, or Graham DeLaet to be second...

Interesting couple of days ahead!

[size=4][font=georgia,serif][b]Taylormade[/b] R1 w/ Aldila Voodoo 10*
[b]Cleveland[/b] Classic 15.5* w/ Matrix Ozik
[b]Adams [/b]DHY 20* with Aerotech Steelfiber
[b]Ping [/b]S57's w/ S300 4-W [/font][/size]
[b][font=georgia, serif]Cleveland[/font][/b][color=#010101][font=georgia, serif] 588's 52, 56, 60[/font][/color]
[size=4][font=georgia,serif][b]Kenny Giannini[/b] G2 Chubby [/font][/size]

"Hot Russian chick"

You seem to be riveted to the screen for the games. Good to see ; )

As good as she looked on tv, there are some internet/social media pics of her that are even better. Well worth a Google search.

Anyone want to predict what this course will look like next year at this time?

Hopefully not as bad as Sarajevo...yes, those are bullet holes.

1984bobsleighcurve_2833852k.jpg

PXG 0811X Proto 9*
Ping G30 14.5*

Ping G20 Hybrid 17*
PXG 0317X Gen 2 22*
Ping K15 4 Hybrid

Ping Rapture J-Spec 5 Iron

Ping i5 6 Iron

Ping S59 7-PW
Taylormade Hi-Toe 54*, 58*
Ping Zing 2 BeCu