Olympics Golf: The Official Discussion Thread (merged)

GolfGrouch

Can I ask a silly question....

What happens if like multiple players are tied for 2nd or 3rd? do they all get medals for t2 / t3?

Ans what happens if there is a tie for first? I'm guessing there's a playoff, but how do the medals get awarded?

I'm confused

From what I read and could understand, there will be a playoff for gold silver and bronze if applicable

TM Sim2 w/ Tensei CK White

TM Sim2 Titanium 15* w/ Diamana Kai'li
TM Sim2 3h w/ AXIVCore Green
TM P790 4i w/ HZRDUS Smoke
TM P7MC 5 - 8 w/ Project X LZ

TM P7MB 9 - PW w/ Project X LZ
TM MG 50 and 55 w/ Project X LZ

TM MG Hi-Toe 60 w/ Project X LZ
TM TP Balboa
TM TP5x Yellow

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ha! Nice.

His wife is from Brazil

3725B1B900000578-3735650-Famous_fans_The_Oscar_winning_star_and_his_wife_have_been_spotte-a-33_1471005342778.jpg

uh... pretty sure he's tripping on acid and wants to lick Phelps because he looks like a floating popsicle diving into a bucket of goo

----------------
Golf Jobs
Driver: Titleist TS3 9.5 w/ Tensei Blue 55 S
3W: Titleist 915F 15 w/ Diamana D+ 80 S
3H: Titleist 915H 21 w/ Diamana D+ 90 S
Irons: 4-GW Titleist T100 w/ Project X LZ 6.0
Wedge: Vokey SM8 54.10S TC w/ Project X LZ 6.0

Wedge: Vokey SM8 60.04L TC w/ Project X LZ 6.0
Ball: 2021 Titleist ProV1

spacer.png

Having everyone play an entire 72 hole stroke play event over 4 days to compete for three medals just doesn't make sense. In every other Olympic sport conducted over several days there are heats and semifinals so only the leaders advance. There should be a cut after every round. Step up and perform immediately or be eliminated.

For example. cut the field to top 30 and ties after round one. Cut to top 20 and ties after round two. After round three only the top 10 and ties advance to compete for the 3 medals in round 4. In the final round less than a dozen players are going to have a reasonable chance for a medal anyway. Why not give golf the same Olympic flavor we have in the other sports like swimming and the track and field events.

Who is a better player in your opinion:

Jim Furyk - shot 58, the lowest recorded round in PGA Tour history?

Jack Nicklaus - won 18 professional major championships?

What you are saying is that the best round should define the champion, as opposed to their aggregate performance over the course of the event, subject to the qualifying/cut restrictions you have stipulated. The other events are logistically confined in that they can't have every single participant compete in that event for its duration, golf has that capability so it might as well use it IMO.

Match play kills your point and no question this should have been a match play event.

Because the Accenture was so awesome (before they tweaked the format)?

Match play also allows the possibility (however remote) that the 18th or even 17th holes may not even factor into the event. Of a course the world has never seen but desperately needs to in order to GROW THE GAME!!!!

I understand what you're saying, but medal play objectively ensures the best player that week will have won. Can't necessarily say the same for match play.

Must everything be adjusted to accommodate the short attention span?

I know this is probably a silly question, but is there no head to head on the olympics? Or just a tournament and that's how they give out the 3 medals? If so, USA is awful in olympics

DRIVER --Rogue sub zero

FW- Rogue 3 wood
M2--5hl

IRONS--- jpx 900 forged 5-pw

WEDGES--T7-49-53-56-59

PUTTER-- scotty cameron buttonback

Graham DeLETDOWN might actually get something done this week!

Taylormade Stealth + 10.5 (Mitsubishi Kai'li White 60S)

Titleist 913F 15 (Mitsubishi Diamana S+ 70)

Titleist 712U 2I (True Temper Dynamic Gold S300)

Titleist 680 MB 4-W (True Temper Dynamic Gold S300)

Titleist Vokey SM5 50,54,58 (True Temper Dynamic Gold S200)

Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5 SS

ProV1

Just imagine having that shiny gold golf medal around your neck. No one taking it away from you for ever. That thought will keeps these boys fighting the next 2 days.

Trust me the winner will be so proud helping his country's medal tally.

Big 4 a bunch of over indulged over paid misguided selfish guys who have not done our sport a good service here. Sorry, but they let the sport down. Once every 4 years is not a big ask. Really really poor choices they made.

XR16 Driver 11.5 Prolaunch Blue Axis reg spine aligned FLOed 45.25" 245y
Adams Speed Line Fast 12 Fairway 17 degrees stock Prolaunch Blue Speedcoat reg spine aligned FLOed 220y
Wilson19.5 Fybrid FY(fairway bridge) stock reg Prolaunch V2 spine aligned FLOed 200y
Adams Super Pro 23 Hybrid Stock Prolaunch Platinium reg spine aligned FLOed 190y
i25 Black Dot 4i-9i Z-Z65 1/2" Long(4-7i with bounce grind) 180-130y
i25 Black Dot UW weakened to 48 Z-Z65 1/2" Long 115y
TM TP 52-9(bent to 53) DG SL300(close match to Z-Z65) 1/2" long 100y
TM TP 58-10(bent to 59 bounce ground to 6) DG SL300(close match to Z-Z65) 1/4" long 85y
Evnroll ER5 370g Hatchback 34" No 30g counterweight 69 degrees Lie 4 Loft Winn Jumbo Lite Pistol 59g Grip Black Tone
All 13 grips GP MCC+4 Grey Logo hidden/down midsize +1 tape layer
Callaway Chrome Soft Ball White
Mizuno Skintite Glove

Ricky 7 under today through 10. Too late?

Adams Speed Line Fast 12 Fairway 17 degrees stock Prolaunch Blue Speedcoat reg spine aligned FLOed 220y
Wilson19.5 Fybrid FY(fairway bridge) stock reg Prolaunch V2 spine aligned FLOed 200y
Adams Super Pro 23 Hybrid Stock Prolaunch Platinium reg spine aligned FLOed 190y
TM TP 58-10(bent to 59 bounce ground to 6) DG SL300(close match to Z-Z65) 1/4" long 85y
Evnroll ER5 370g Hatchback 34" No 30g counterweight 69 degrees Lie 4 Loft Winn Jumbo Lite Pistol 59g Grip Black Tone
Mizuno Skintite Glove

Could only get through 20 seconds of TGC coverage this AM before flipping back to PL soccer. Seriously, stop trying to convince us that this is the most important/meaningful event in the history of golf. It's not. You know it. We know it. Stop insulting our intelligence.

Don't you have other coverage you can watch? The BBC announcers are not gushing, just providing the facts of the event.

Could only get through 20 seconds of TGC coverage this AM before flipping back to PL soccer. Seriously, stop trying to convince us that this is the most important/meaningful event in the history of golf. It's not. You know it. We know it. Stop insulting our intelligence.

Don't you have other coverage you can watch? The BBC announcers are not gushing, just providing the facts of the event.

Eh, I have no interest in trying to figure out how to get the International feed (which the BBC is using), whose commentators, by all accounts, are also absolutely dreadful (just for different reasons).

of course it's important. A gold medal. First in 100 years. Golf Olympic Champion. Nice on a CV that.

Mizuno Skintite Glove

of course it's important. A gold medal. First in 100 years. Golf Olympic Champion. Nice on a CV that.

Eye roll...

You're right about the commenters, really dull. Not sure who they are but sound south African area anyways. But the UK can get full live coverage through the BBC red button interaction service. I'm actually enjoying it thus far, the course reminds me of kiwah island for the 91 rydar cup

What is up with the "checkerboard" graphic that they keep superimposing on the greens when they do the overhead shots? I thought it was a failed attempt to show the contour of the green at first, since it was gone when they cut to the live action of the approach shots. But then the announcers were talking about how cool the greens looked mowed like that. I thought they were being facetious at first, but I've heard them complement it a coupe times. Even segue from complementing how cool the mowing on the greens was into what a great job the superintendent has done.

I get that there's been a lot of negative press about olympic golf that TGC has been on a campaign to overcome, but the condition of the course shouldn't be one of them. I think the course looks great in it's condition, and it's impressive how it's turned out with the short timeframe they had to build it in and the obstacles they had to overcome.

**Driver:** TaylorMade SIM Max 9° **|** Ventus Black 7 Velocore **3wd:** Titleist TS2 15° (C1) **|** Diamana D+ LTD 70 **Hybrid:** Callaway Apex 18° **|** AD-DI 95 **Irons:** Mizuno MP 18 Fli Hi 4 iron **|** AD-DI 95**/** JPX 919 Forged 5-PW **|** Recoil 95 **Wedges:** Vokey SM8 raw 50°F (Handground S), 54°S, 58°M (Handground A) **|** DG Black Onyx **Putters:** Byron Morgan DH 89 WITB: https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1505670/goirish17s-witb-updated-end-of-page-2#latest

Haven't read every post but how many spectators are at the course? I don't see very many.

This guy was there. I wonder what their conversation was about. Lol. Matthew: "Rickie, you got leave the Olympic booty alone. It looks like you're exhausted"

Ha! Nice.

His wife is from Brazil

3725B1B900000578-3735650-Famous_fans_The_Oscar_winning_star_and_his_wife_have_been_spotte-a-33_1471005342778.jpg

Yeah he would definitely not be the guy telling him to leave the booty in Brazil alone.

I will root harder in the Ryder Cup for those who stood up and played in the Olympics. If the final match came down to Rose vs Spieth for example, I'm good with the cup being in Europe. Come 2020 I hope those who opt out of the Olympics are told to enjoy their vacation during the Ryder Cup.

Callaway 2015 Great Big Bertha 10.5
Callaway Great Big Bertha ll 3W & 5W
Callaway Steelhead lll 9 wood 
Ben Hogan Apex Edge 4/E
Cleveland 588 TA 51* & 56* 
Ray Cook Blue Goose 

You went from watching golf to watching a more boring sport?

Long time lurker, but my first post ever! I just did some searching, and it appears that the only US broadcast of Olympic golf is on TGC (other than streaming). How's that going to reach a new audience and "grow the game", at least in the U.S.? I'm a huge golf fan, but to save $15 a month, I just cancelled TGC. I realized that every other channel that I watched in the extra sports tier could be streamed for free on my Roku.

Stenson is the #1 player in the world. Sorry but you cant be #1 if you're afraid of a mosquito. Seems like all the other Olympians showed up except for the golfers. These guys who no showed made golf again look like an elitist sport played by a bunch of non athletic country club wussies. Good job Speith, DJ, Day, etc....

Then theres Rory who couldnt be bothered to win a medal for Ireland in its national sport. List of countries ahead of Ireland in medal count Ukraine, Kosovo, Iran, Fiji, Vietnam, Ethiopia, DPRK, etc.....

Bubba is playing some skilful shots. No doubting the guy has real talent.

Mizuno Skintite Glove

Rickie is going to win a backdoor bronze I can feel it. Olympic podium, single tear rolling down the cheek. Wheaties box. Going to be a marketing juggernaut.

Rose and Stenson duking it out for gold and silver. Bubba backdoor bronze

Sorry but my Rickie feeling is pretty strong. I can just see it now until eternity: "Rickie Fowler, Olympic Medalist".

Stenson is the #1 player in the world. Sorry but you cant be #1 if you're afraid of a mosquito. Seems like all the other Olympians showed up except for the golfers. These guys who no showed made golf again look like an elitist sport played by a bunch of non athletic country club wussies. Good job Speith, DJ, Day, etc....

Then theres Rory who couldnt be bothered to win a medal for Ireland in its national sport. List of countries ahead of Ireland in medal count Ukraine, Kosovo, Iran, Fiji, Vietnam, Ethiopia, DPRK, etc.....

This reads like a foot print to what the USGA and I O C wanted.

Srixon ZX5  TT dynamic gold 95  PING G425 FST 43.25"  Tour Edge 721 Tensei blue 65  Mizuno T22 56* 60*  Bobby Grace AMG 6313 35"