2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Olympics Golf: The Official Discussion Thread (merged)

GolfGrouch

5 to 1 that more people in the Olympic Village contract the Herpes virus than the entire rest of the city does the Zika virus.

Anywho, without the likes of Day, Rors, Scott, etc. this is turning into the '94 & '95 NBA Finals... Poor Clyde and Hakeem with those asterisks forever tarnishing their championships... (I may or may not be a Chicagoan )

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Clearly the sentiment out here shows that many golfers think that the Olympics "sucks". And the top golfers bailing on the games would seem to confirm that sentiment.

However, the top athletes from around the globe will be there. Look at the top tennis players, why aren't they wimping out?>

http://espn.go.com/o...-plan-going-rio

Are the top soccer players withdrawing?

I don't think many care what the world thinks of golf and it doesn't impact my interest in golf. But, when golf is invited to participate in an event hosting the greatest athletes in the world and the top golfers don't show up, it doesn't make a great showing for the sport.

Finally, consider that with all this talk about how a gold in Olympic Golf doesn't mean "squat", doesn't belong in the Olympics etc, that it's the *athletes* who could have made it worth something if the best players showed up.

This is a gamble that Rio lost. Some people could try to have a little empathy instead of trashing the place constantly. And, they certainly won't be the first to lose economically and in a big way on the Olympics (see: Greece).

When Rio made the bid, gas was approaching $5 a gallon and Petrobras had just found huge off shore reserves. The sky was the limit. Obviously the collapse of the oil market and complete mismanagement/corruption was not what the average Brazilian had in mind.

Name one city 10 years after hosting the Olympics that were better off because of the Olympics...

It just doesn't happen. The largest cities can absorb the loss to a point, but not the city (even as large as it is) of Rio.

Sames goes with EVERY public funded stadium for NFL/MLB/NBA/NHL teams. The threat is always that they'll move the team (go ahead!) if they don't get their taxpayer funded stadium, and it ends up being a loss for taxpayers every time.

Didn't Roger Goodell just tell Buffalo (a virtual trophy of urban economic success) to get a new stadium or else...

However, the top athletes from around the globe will be there. Look at the top tennis players, why aren't they wimping out?>

Is Steph Curry going? Is Lebron? Is Chris Paul?

Finally, consider that with all this talk about how a gold in Olympic Golf doesn't mean "squat", doesn't belong in the Olympics etc, that it's the *athletes* who could have made it worth something if the best players showed up.

No they couldn't have, the format chosen left at least 1/2 of the top 50 in the world home regardless. That dimwitted mistake alone nixed any chance of a golf Olympic gold meaning "squat".

Clearly the sentiment out here shows that many golfers think that the Olympics "sucks". And the top golfers bailing on the games would seem to confirm that sentiment.

I don't think many care what the world thinks of golf and it doesn't impact my interest in golf. But, when golf is invited to participate in an event hosting the greatest athletes in the world and the top golfers don't show up, it doesn't make a great showing for the sport.

I completely agree with this!

I watched and interview with Meghan O'Leary, US Womens Rowing Team, she said NOT going to games has NEVER crossed her mind. I mean she's gonna be in the water that they say is contaminated with super bacteria, on top of the zika concerns out of the water.

I watched and interview with Meghan O'Leary, US Womens Rowing Team, she said NOT going to games has NEVER crossed her mind. I mean she's gonna be in the water that they say is contaminated with super bacteria, on top of the zika concerns out of the water.

What other events does Meghan O'Leary get to compete in? Is there a Masters or World Cup or Superbowl equivalent for Women's Rowing? I highly doubt it.

Very unfortunately for Meghan, the biggest event in the world for her is the Olympics, and one held in a sewage and super bacteria infested slum to boot.

Revenue sports have bigger and better things than the Olympics. Maybe they should all pull out, and let the Olympics sink or swim on its own with equestrian, track and field, swimming, gymnastics, and whatever else...

Some of the biggest legends in pro sports agree with this sentiment.

Roger Federer has 'never reconsidered' Olympics participation

https://uk.sports.yahoo.com/news/roger-federer-never-reconsidered-olympics-192251115.html

What other events does Meghan O'Leary get to compete in? Is there a Masters or World Cup or Superbowl equivalent for Women's Rowing? I highly doubt it.

Very unfortunately for Meghan, the biggest event in the world for her is the Olympics, and one held in a sewage and super bacteria infested slum to boot.

Revenue sports have bigger and better things than the Olympics. Maybe they should all pull out, and let the Olympics sink or swim on its own with equestrian, track and field, swimming, gymnastics, and whatever else...

Good points,

Golf in the Olympics should have been for Am's anyway.

I'm probably in the minority, but I think having a Gold Medal or any Olympic medal is a BIG deal. History determines the importance of an event, so Golf's Olympic tradition has to begin somewhere. Perhaps it can grow. But when our top players are backing out it reflects bad, being that it hasn't been included in 100 years or whatever. Basketball has been around, it's had it's top players represent their respective countries in the past. The fact that it's mostly (again mostly) golfers withdrawing from the Olympics, and no so much other sports, even in the face of the Zika virus scares and all the other stuff, makes Golf look bad IMO (again especially because it was just included).

Good points,

I'm probably in the minority, but I think having a Gold Medal or any Olympic medal is a BIG deal. History determines the importance of an event, so Golf's Olympic tradition has to begin somewhere. Perhaps it can grow. But when our top players are backing out it reflects bad, being that it hasn't been included in 100 years or whatever. Basketball has been around, it's had it's top players represent their respective countries in the past. The fact that it's mostly (again mostly) golfers withdrawing from the Olympics, and no so much other sports, even in the face of the Zika virus scares and all the other stuff, makes Golf look bad IMO (again especially because it was just included).

Agreed that it looks bad.

But IMO it doesn't make golf look bad, it makes the IOC, the USGA, the R&A, and NBC Universal look bad. They are the ones who wanted golf in the Olympics for their own selfish reasons, not the professional golfers. I don't remember Tiger Woods or Nick Faldo ever saying an Olympic gold would really tie a bow on their career ;)

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

The reaction to this has been very predictable. Most people i find on Golfwrx are pretty reasonable and get it which is good

It's funny, i google searched "Zika" just for fun....and what comes up right near the top? An article written by Jason Sobel opining that PGA golfers are just using Zika as a convenient excuse to skip the tournament and the disease is really no big deal. The link directly below that one is an article discussing the first Zika infected baby born in Florida. I'm sure the family in Florida can take solace in Sobel's article that this is a nothing problem

We think of athletes as not people, as robots who exist for our amusement. How dare they skip the olympics! If it was me i'd totally go, the chances of getting Zika are small!!!! I am tough and they are not those spoiled brats!!!!

The chances of killing yourself doing russian roulette with a 1000 chamber revolver would be very small too, but why do it?

We're going to see more and more articles about babies born with Zika. Yes the chances of them contracting it are small. But on the chance that it happens to them, are all the fans, all the writers, the Jason Sobels of the world....are they going to stop by the hospital and thank the player for playing in the olympics, tell them that it's all worth it? Or are they going to be in the corner whistling, nothing to see here...ready to call athletes spoiled over something else.

They are people. People get scared of stuff like this. During SARS here in Montreal not many people were impacted, but it's not like people were running around sucking face with everyone like an "eyes wide shut" style orgy yelling "don't worry, the risks are low people technically speaking!!!!"

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Srixon ZX 19h w/PX hzrdus Red 80

Mizuno MP241 4-PW w/KBS Ctaper LITE

Mizuno MP24 52 w/KBS Ctaper LITE

Cleveland RTX6 60/10--Spinner

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

Good points,

Agreed that it looks bad.

But IMO it doesn't make golf look bad, it makes the IOC, the USGA, the R&A, and NBC Universal look bad. They are the ones who wanted golf in the Olympics for their own selfish reasons, not the professional golfers. I don't remember Tiger Woods or Nick Faldo ever saying an Olympic gold would really tie a bow on their career ;)

That's probably true! And correct, it makes the "governing bodies" of golf look bad.

As for importance, Golf in the Olympics has to start somewhere, history has to be created for it to be important. It needs the best to compete and make it important. It could potentially be as important as any of the 4 majors because of the 4 year wait in between Olympic Games. I said "important" a lot there LOL

And as for Faldo and Woods, they never thought of it because Golf wasn't in the Olympics, but if it were in the Olympics back when they were playing in their prime I'm sure they would have loved to have an Olympic Medal.

For most Olympic athletes, just qualifying for the team is a huge honor. They are thrilled to get a free plane ticket and a bunk in the Olympic village. The trip and the experience is a huge reward in itself. A once in a lifetime event. A few of the lucky ones will win medals and earn endorsements that will benefit them financially.

It is a different story for the multi-millionaire golfers who are dropping out. They are accustomed to flying in private jets and staying in 5-star accommodations. They don't normally fly to far-away destinations unless there is a huge purse up for grabs. For them to attend this Olympics, they will either have to downgrade their travel and accommodations or foot the bill to travel and stay where they choose. I'm guessing the Zika virus is one of their lesser concerns.

They are basically donating their name and time to enrich Olympic and Brazilian officials with no reward of their own other than to participate and have a slim chance at a medal. They already have all the endorsements they need. And they have to consider the health issues of Zika, the security issues of being kidnapped, and even the security issues of terrorism... all in a country that already has security deficiencies and concerns.

These are some of the same guys who complain about playing the Ryder Cup without being paid. This is just another version of the same thing, except this comes with additional dangers and expense. I certainly fault no one for dropping out. Those that do attend must be going just for the Olympic experience. There is not much reward otherwise and it comes with considerable amount of risk.

[i]The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind. -Bob Dylan[/i]
[i]Everything is dust in the wind. -Kansas[/i]

Where am I with Olympic golf? currently it'll be stuck in Brazil being played on some phony baloney course...

pictured for 2016 the only "gold" in an international event players really give rat's Word not allowed about, or any other upcoming even number year for that matter... you can count ME in as one who gets emotional about Samuel's beautiful little trophy.

ryder-cup-trophy-hazeltine.png

Rio is such a crap hole of a place. I've been there every year for the last 3 years for work. I don't blame any of the athletes for backing out of the olympics.

Cobra fly z+ Aldila rogue black
TM aero burner mini driver aldila rogue black
TM R9 3&5 wood stock
2016 mizuno jpx ez 4-gw
Cleveland cg16 50,56,62
Odyssey black series #5

I think the open water swimmers have more to worry about than the golfers, and they don't seem to be backing out (at least that I've heard). Which would you be more scared to do --- play the golf course or swim in the open water down there?

Name three "open water swimmers" without looking it up.

PGA golfers worth millions and who have other millions coming down the pipe have way more to risk. They don't play their whole lives hoping for Olympic Gold, they do it for majors. The Olympics is just another exhibition.

Actually the open water swimming shouldn't be happening.

http://www.nytimes.c...ewage.html?_r=1

Pretty bad situation.

Risk of infection only 99%???

Bunch of babies.

It's basically 1 in 100 that they are fine. And this is the OLYMPICS

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Srixon ZX 19h w/PX hzrdus Red 80

Mizuno MP241 4-PW w/KBS Ctaper LITE

Mizuno MP24 52 w/KBS Ctaper LITE

Cleveland RTX6 60/10--Spinner

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/06/opinion/olympians-shouldnt-swim-through-sewage.html?_r=1

Pretty bad situation.

Interesting article - did you see they moved the equestrian games in 1956 from Melbourne to Stockholm because of bad conditions

Move the golf , sounds like the open water swim and sports in the bay Zika X 1000

Rio vs Chicago, great choice IOC

Medinah CC vs slum dog millionaire , and swimming around in a toilet

Overhaul 

Driver Testing 

3w Stealth 2 + 15* Ventus Red 9x tipped 2" 43”  

2i TMAG P790 2i Hzdus 100g X  

Titleist MB 620 3-PW (47* PW) PX 7.0 Std Length -2 flat from Titleist Spec 

Vokey - Testing 

Putter  OPEN  

http://www.nytimes.c...ewage.html?_r=1

Pretty bad situation.

Risk of infection only 99%???

Bunch of babies.

It's basically 1 in 100 that they are fine. And this is the OLYMPICS

Comprehesive piece on the sewage>

What Happens When There’s Sewage in the Water?

Raw sewage flows into many of Rio’s Olympic venues every day. As the prospect of a full clean-up before the Games dims, the world is left wondering, who will get sick, and how?

http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2016/03/what-happens-when-theres-sewage-in-the-water/476013/

Rio is such a crap hole of a place. I've been there every year for the last 3 years for work. I don't blame any of the athletes for backing out of the olympics.

well there ya have it. An opinion and first hand account. I'll be crossing that destination off my travel plans.

Srixon ZX5  TT dynamic gold 95  PING G425 FST 43.25"  Tour Edge 721 Tensei blue 65  Mizuno T22 56* 60*  Bobby Grace AMG 6313 35"

No, because they were never going. The Olympics is an U-23 event for men's soccer.

"Well, that's just nitpicking, isnt it"

; )

1500_large_spinal_tap_blu-ray1x.jpg?w=600

weren't these two in Conan the Barbarian?

Srixon ZX5  TT dynamic gold 95  PING G425 FST 43.25"  Tour Edge 721 Tensei blue 65  Mizuno T22 56* 60*  Bobby Grace AMG 6313 35"

Just because an athlete (with unknown cognitive skills) is eager to swim in raw sewage doesn't mean that someone who chooses not to do it is an idiot.

Not to mention the decision-making abilities of IOC delegates who visited Rio and said, "Hey, this looks like a good place to hold the Olympics!"

i don’t need no stinkin’ shift key