Official Taylormade M1 Driver Thread

Llortamaisey

[quote name='pingplayer' timestamp='1441800754' post='12286488']
This might be Taylor Made best driver. You can change MOI and Fade/Draw bias in that head plus with carbon the can save and distribute weight the best way possible. I dont´t play Taylor Made equipment, Ping irons and Callaway drivers is my way to go, but they may have something on this, hope the release it in black.

Lest´s see how it goes.....JMHO
[/quote]
I think the massive weight track running back to front necessitated they use the carbon crown.

Cobra LTDx LS Diamana B 70
TEE CB4 Tour 15° Attas T2
SLDR 3H Speeder HB 9.8

Honma TW 737 P 4 iron
Honma TR 20V 5-PW PX LS
Vokey SM7 52° & 58°
Tour Issue Toulon Austin

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I still don't see how this one will be "lower spinning/launching" than the R15. The R15 has both weights about as low and forward as they can be. The M1 will have only 1 forward and the other one located in the (bottom) middle of the driver. Not to mention that the R15 has 2 12.5 grams weights low and forward while the M1 has a 15 gram in the back and a 10 gram in the front. Nonetheless the aesthetics are growing on me and will definitely give it a go to compare to my R15.

[quote name='Wedge Ninja' timestamp='1441804569' post='12286788']
Here's an in hands view at address.
[/quote]

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say this will be in my bag. Guys can make fun of TM all they want. Hell, I used to. Alignment has always been my biggest problem with a driver and I think the crown on the M1 fixes that. At least for me.

Titleist TSR 2  9°

Taylormade V-Steel 3 wood

Ping G430 19°,23.5,28.5 Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Redwood Anser

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

[quote name='lawsonman' timestamp='1441805053' post='12286834']
[/quote]

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say this will be in my bag. Guys can make fun of TM all they want. Hell, I used to. Alignment has always been my biggest problem with a driver and I think the crown on the M1 fixes that. At least for me.
[/quote]
Couldn't agree more. I love my SLDR and all I wanted was a SLDR with better alignment aids. Thanks TM.

Driver- Taylormade M1 460 9.5*, 7m3 Black Tie S
Fairway- Taylormade RBZ Stage 2 HL, 16*, 8m3 Black Tie S
Hybrid- Taylormade RBZ Stage 2, 19*, hm3 Black Tie S
Irons- Adams CMB 4-PW, KBS Tour C-Taper 120 S
Wedges- Adams CMB GW, Taylormade EF ATV 54*, Vokey SM3 60*
Putter- TM Ghost Spider S

[/quote]

[/quote]

Fair enough, and whatever works. It's good to see that some people aren't bothered by ego's or by being OEM blinkered. I'm not a fan of TM, and have really laid into them in the past, but like you, I rather like this, and will definitely be giving it a spin. Takes all sorts eh?

[quote name='jonn443' timestamp='1441761873' post='12284542']
[quote name='warfelg21' timestamp='1441757135' post='12283912']
[quote name='UnderPar18' timestamp='1441755343' post='12283748']
[quote name='Fritzer' timestamp='1441744561' post='12282792']
Anyone from here at the launch event? Would love to see some pics / get extra inside info!
[/quote]

I'm from CT 40 minutes away. Tweeted TM a bunch asking for an invite but never got a response back. I was bummed cause I could have followed it live and I'm local!
[/quote]

Where in Connecticut? I was born in Bristol and split early years between Westwoods, Glastonbury Hills (my dad was a pro there once upon a time), and Fairfield CC (My dad played college golf there)!
[/quote]

Hey, I live in Waterford CT...where do you live in CT?

On another note, the M1 looks like a toy driver my six year old would have picked up in Toysrus.

Ugly.
[/quote]

Play out of Ellington Ridge now.

:taylormade-small: Qi10 LS Driver 10.5D (Ventus Blue w/ Velocore+ 6x) 
:taylormade-small: Qi10 3 Fairway 15.0D (Project X Denali 70x) 

Callaway   Apex UW 19.0D (RDX Smoke 85x)
:taylormade-small: P7MC/P770 Irons (KBS $-Taper 120s) (5-PW)/(4i) Lamkin Crossline Cord (All Metals / Irons)
 :taylormade-small:MG4 Wedges 50.09, 56.12, 60.08 (KBS $-Taper 120s)
Odyssey   Jailbird Cruiser modified to regular. 34.6" w/ SuperStroke 3.0 17"/ 5g weights

Haven't been a fan of TM for many years due to their ulta-hypeness marketing but I have to say I like the look and technology of the M1

Titleist TSR2 GD UB 6S
TEE CB5 4 wood Fubuki Tour
Srixon ZX7 5-pw Nippon Modus 120
Miura custom raw 50 54, 56 Nippon WV 125

David Mills SG Dale Pencil flowneck
David Mills Custom torched Heritage SS flow neck
David Mills Custom Carbon flow neck Hertitage V2 with Nitride finish
David Mills Carbon Ming V3 pencil flow neck
Byron Rincon DH89

[quote name='Interpol' timestamp='1441769174' post='12285390']
[quote name='warfelg21' timestamp='1441768902' post='12285366']
By my count that's TM, Callaway, Cobra, Nike with the 4 groundbreaking things.

I guess you could credit Titleist for Surefit and the like, and Ping for aerodynamics. But they weren't huge ground breaking things.

I think the difference is we've come to expect the revolutionary from TM and evolutionary from Titleist and Ping.
[/quote]

For some reason people have a double standard when judging TM's new releases versus anyone else's. Revolutionary = "gimmicky". Evolutionary = "it's been done".
[/quote]

My $0.02 on that:
TM can move away from ideas quickly, hence the "gimmicky" moniker.

I see plenty of people rip Nike for the cavity back driver the first year and call it a gimmick, but they stuck with it and it's accepted.

I see the "it's been done" with every Titleist and Ping driver.

I think it's just a matter of perspective.

WITB 2015:
Driver: Callaway Big Bertha Alpha, -1 D setting, Speeder 565 S
3WD: Cobra Biocell+ 12.5 degrees, Matrix Black tie
2HY: Cobra Biocell, 16.5D setting, Stock shaft
4/5i: Cobra Biocell, True Temper s+ shaft
6-PW: Biocell+, Dynamic Gold S200
50 Vokey
56 Vokey
Odessey MetalX Milled #2

I have to say that I was disappointed as well. I knew the microchip was unrealistic, even though Game Golf and Leupold GX-4 had created technology loopholes with the USGA, setting a precedent. I guess the hype got to me. Usually Taylormade lives up to the hype at the release, maybe they still can once customers start hitting it. If the tweets from the demo event today are a sign of things to come, looks like I'll be disappointed a second time, but I hope I'm wrong. Hopefully whoever buys Taylormade from Adidas can help them get their swagger back.

[/quote]

Not a fan of how shiny the CF part is. I like a flat paint on the head to reduce glare.

WITB 2015:
50 Vokey
56 Vokey
Odessey MetalX Milled #2

[quote name='From_Parts_Unknown' timestamp='1441807065' post='12287042']
I have to say that I was disappointed as well. I knew the microchip was unrealistic, even though Game Golf and Leupold GX-4 had created technology loopholes with the USGA, setting a precedent. I guess the hype got to me. Usually Taylormade lives up to the hype at the release, maybe they still can once customers start hitting it. If the tweets from the demo event today are a sign of things to come, looks like I'll be disappointed a second time, but I hope I'm wrong. Hopefully whoever buys Taylormade from Adidas can help them get their swagger back.
[/quote]

Not the place to really discuss it but companies I would like to see buy TM:
Mizuno: their drivers and FW could use what TM brings to the table and TM could use what Mizzu brings to the iron game.
Hogan: Would give the company some long term stability to have a "masses" market with TM and a boutique bring in Hogan.
Tour Exotics: imagine the combination of tech from these two brands.
Cobra: two brands that are innovative and on the cutting edge of technology.

Companies I don't see with any interest:
Acushnet: they like where they are at, although I could see them buying Ashworth.
Ping: copy and paste from above

Companies I don't want buying TM:
Nike: they would cannablize and then end TM or turn it into a cheap entry brand.
Callaway: they would be looking to kill TM.
Under Armor: I think they would only continue to do what Adidas group did to TM.

WITB 2015:
50 Vokey
56 Vokey
Odessey MetalX Milled #2

[quote name='warfelg21' timestamp='1441807096' post='12287044']
[/quote]

Not a fan of how shiny the CF part is. I like a flat paint on the head to reduce glare.
[/quote]

Yeah. I was under the impression it was not so shiny to reduce glare but it looks good.

I'm wondering how a 10 gram weight really affects shot trajectory. It doesn't seem like enough to me.

[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][size=3][color=#FF0000]10.5* PING G30 Tour 65S[/color][/size][/font]
[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][size=3][color=#FF0000]15* TM RBZ Matrix Ozik 7S[/color][/size][/font]
[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][size=3][color=#FF0000]18.5* TM RBZ Tour Matrix Ozik 7S[/color][/size][/font]
[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][size=3][color=#FF0000]21.5* Bio Cell Hybrid[/color][/size][/font]
[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][size=3][color=#FF0000]5-AW Srixon z545 C-Taper Lite S[/color][/size][/font]
[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][size=3][color=#FF0000]PING Glide 54*SS, 58*TS[/color][/size][/font]
[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][size=3][color=#FF0000]Taylormade DLL+ 36"[/color][/size][/font]

[quote name='BuckyBadger' timestamp='1441808121' post='12287122']
[quote name='warfelg21' timestamp='1441807096' post='12287044']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Yeah. I was under the impression it was not so shiny to reduce glare but it looks good.

I'm wondering how a 10 gram weight really affects shot trajectory. It doesn't seem like enough to me.
[/quote]
More than enough. The Fly-Z+ weight is less than that and I have about a 4* difference in launch angle.

WITB 2015:
50 Vokey
56 Vokey
Odessey MetalX Milled #2

[quote name='warfelg21' timestamp='1441807610' post='12287078']
[quote name='From_Parts_Unknown' timestamp='1441807065' post='12287042']
[/quote]

Not the place to really discuss it but companies I would like to see buy TM:
Mizuno: their drivers and FW could use what TM brings to the table and TM could use what Mizzu brings to the iron game.
Hogan: Would give the company some long term stability to have a "masses" market with TM and a boutique bring in Hogan.
Tour Exotics: imagine the combination of tech from these two brands.
Cobra: two brands that are innovative and on the cutting edge of technology.

Companies I don't see with any interest:
Acushnet: they like where they are at, although I could see them buying Ashworth.
Ping: copy and paste from above

Companies I don't want buying TM:
Nike: they would cannablize and then end TM or turn it into a cheap entry brand.
Callaway: they would be looking to kill TM.
Under Armor: I think they would only continue to do what Adidas group did to TM.
[/quote]

None of the companies you want buying TM could even comprehend doing that lol

Neither could Callaway

Nike could, won't UA could, perhaps?

TM Sim D-Type Tour AD IZ 7s
Mavrik SZ 16.5 Tour AD DI 7s
Cleveland Hibore Xli 3,4,5
TaylorMade P790 6-AW
TM Tour MG Raw 54/58
Evnroll ER-1.2

[quote name='Anser' timestamp='1441799795' post='12286434']
[quote name='jokerusn' timestamp='1441791425' post='12286166']
[quote name='BenSeattle' timestamp='1441773091' post='12285662']
[quote name='jokerusn' timestamp='1441765321' post='12284974']
OMG, how is this even a big deal??? It's like they crossed the R15 with a Fly Z+. I'm more enthralled with the press than the design. This is SO blah!
[/quote]

What another 27 yards isn't enough to entice you?
Well, that's what it would take for me to invest in a $699 driver or maybe just $499 or $399. I don't think they're trying to get people to drop what they bought six months ago.... this is for the guy who's got a 6 to 8 year old driver in his bag and is finally, at last, looking for something new. Doesn't that make more sense?

Everybody on Golfwrx always gripes about the short product release cycles from TaylorMade, Callaway and the others but they're not really expecting you to dump what you purchased only a few months before... they are introducing clubs for the guys who after eight years of hitting something that's "only okay" to buy something brand new and keep it for years. Simple, huh?
[/quote]

I get what you're saying and I agree to a point. For me, though, I really don't need another 27 yards but, if it's good, I might buy it eventually. I'm not against TM in principle. I bag many of their clubs and have for as long as I can remember because they are good. My issue is their over-the-top marketing. It's become so that as soon as I see their commercial start, I groan. I don't know what the value proposition is for this club besides the typical "NOW WITH MOAR DISTANCE!!!!" but if I am in the target audience, I would like to see less wizardry and more behind the curtain.
[/quote]

Congrats on being the only guy in the world who doesn't want 27 more yards.

I'd pay $1,000 for 27 more yards and show up before the store opened to do it :)
[/quote]
Me too!!!

M1 10.5 Deg. Fujikura Pro 60
R9 FCT 3 & 5 metal Fujikura Motore
Ping I-20 3-PW KBS Tour S
Ping Glide 52SS & 58SS KBS Tour S
Ping Craz-E too putter Ultra Slim
Super Stroke 1.0

I still play a Rapture V2 driver .. but I did grab and Aeroburner HL this summer and it's pretty tasty

Cally AIS TD 11.5* Ventus Black 5x

Cally AI Smoke TD 16* AD IZ 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Fuji TourSpec 8.2s

Cally Apex 5h 26* Apache MFS 85x

Ping i210 6-7 & s55 8-PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59* SF 125s

LAB Mezz Max

[/quote]

[/quote]

Anyone who hasnt spent an hour with a versa putter without an alignment line will have no clue what your talking about. Drives me nuts that drivers have to be black top/face with no alignment help because "better players prefer it".

I havent owned a tm driver since the R540, but this one will be getting a serious look, along with the King ltd and 816dbd.

Handicap .5

Current Bag:
Big Dogs: G410 for Fades, G425 for draws

FW: Ole Blue but stays on the porch most rounds

Hybrids: G425, Cobra  King Tec
Irons: Srixon ZX5/7
Wedges: PM Grind 54/58

Moneymaker: Ping Heppler Tyne 3

Rock: Srixon Z-Star Divide

It would strike my interest if it was all carbon fiber on the crown. Alignment isn't an issue for me, but I suppose the masses need the help.

In the bag:

Ping G410 Plus 9* Tensei Pro White 60TX
Titleist 915F 15* Diamana S+ 80TX
Titleist T-MB 3 Iron AD-DI 95X
Mizuno JPX850 Forged 4 - PW KBS C-Taper
Vokey SM7 52F & 56S S400
Vokey TVD 60M KBS Tour
Bettinardi BB8 
------------------------------------------------------
Backup Putters:
Scotty Detour Newport 2 Conversion / Scotty 5W Weld Neck / Taylormade Spider Tour

[quote name='crocop88' timestamp='1441803915' post='12286722']
[quote name='artica' timestamp='1441800805' post='12286490']
I[b] could care less[/b] who makes it. If it works and it's better than what I have and beats all other new drivers - Im in.

Just so happens though that I'm not shopping for anything new �
[/quote]

How much less could you care?
[/quote]

Thank you, great catch. When I see stuff like this my head literally explodes in exasperation. And by that, I mean pieces of brain, bone and blood sticking to the walls. (Something my wife must then clean up. Literally.)

Serious question here... Wouldn't anyone who is looking for more distance with a TM driver be better off looking at the Aeroburner over the R15 or even the M1? They obviously lack the M1 adjustability however those things are cannons...I don't play TM but if i did i have to think i would go the lighter/ faster/ farther route. Although the M1 does look good IMHO.

Driver PXG Black OPS 9 deg with Tensei white 65

4 wood PXG Black OPS 17 deg with Tensei white 75

Titleist T200 utility #3 iron with IZ 95X 

Wilson Staff CB 4-PW with DG mid 115 s300

Wedges Ping S159 54s and 60s with DG s300 

Odyssey Ai-one Jailbird Cruiser 

Pro V1 

[quote name='cliffhanger' timestamp='1441814383' post='12287782']
Serious question here... Wouldn't anyone who is looking for more distance with a TM driver be better off looking at the Aeroburner over the R15 or even the M1? They obviously lack the M1 adjustability however those things are cannons...I don't play TM but if i did i have to think i would go the lighter/ faster/ farther route. Although the M1 does look good IMHO.
[/quote]

Lighter and faster does not work for every swing. If I hit the Aeroburner, it might go further sometimes, but I would not have any idea where it is going. I went to a fitter and with my swing, to get the proper load, I require heavier shafts. I also need more weight towards the heal of the driver to get a proper release. You just have to find a driver head and shaft that works for your swing.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5 driver w/ Project X Riptide 50 5.0
Callaway Epic Flash 3, 5, & 7 woods w/ Fujikura Pro 2.0 R2-6

Callaway Apex 21 DCB 4 iron w/ Project X Catalyst 50 5.0 
Callaway Apex 21 5 - AW w/ Project X Catalyst 50 5.0
Callaway Mack Daddy CB 56 w/ Project X Catalyst 60 5.5
Toulon Design Palm Beach Stroke Lab
Callaway Chrome Soft

[quote name='TM_HOYER' timestamp='1441815983' post='12287914']
[/quote]

Lighter and faster does not work for every swing. If I hit the Aeroburner, it might go further sometimes, but I would not have any idea where it is going. I went to a fitter and with my swing, to get the proper load, I require heavier shafts. I also need more weight towards the heal of the driver to get a proper release. You just have to find a driver head and shaft that works for your swing.
[/quote]You can't add weight to the heel of an Aeroburner and change the shaft?

Driver PXG Black OPS 9 deg with Tensei white 65

4 wood PXG Black OPS 17 deg with Tensei white 75

Titleist T200 utility #3 iron with IZ 95X 

Wilson Staff CB 4-PW with DG mid 115 s300

Wedges Ping S159 54s and 60s with DG s300 

Odyssey Ai-one Jailbird Cruiser 

Pro V1 

[quote name='cliffhanger' timestamp='1441816950' post='12287998']
[quote name='TM_HOYER' timestamp='1441815983' post='12287914']
[/quote]

[/quote]You can't add weight to the heel of an Aeroburner and change the shaft?
[/quote]

I can simply slip in the shaft in to the R15 head (since the shaft already has an adapter on it) and adjust the weights to where I want it. No dealing with reshafting, swingweighting, and adding / subracting lead tape. Also where the weights are located impacts distance and forgiveness.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5 driver w/ Project X Riptide 50 5.0
Callaway Epic Flash 3, 5, & 7 woods w/ Fujikura Pro 2.0 R2-6

Callaway Apex 21 DCB 4 iron w/ Project X Catalyst 50 5.0 
Callaway Apex 21 5 - AW w/ Project X Catalyst 50 5.0
Callaway Mack Daddy CB 56 w/ Project X Catalyst 60 5.5
Toulon Design Palm Beach Stroke Lab
Callaway Chrome Soft