2024 US Open WITB Photos ×

Mike Malaska - Getting the club in front of you. Made easy...

CrisPy3

One week of trying to learn this and I have seen some great shots out of it.....I need to read the whole thread to take it all in as I have only looked the 4 parts with Ramos.

Power fade just like that from the driver coming from dead straight to minor draw with out any loss of distance. Irons misses are now right the majority of the time instead of left. Divots going straight down the line or slightly left and more even at impact compared to pointing right and a 45 degree angle from toe to heal at impact. Much more hip and body turning thru the shot instead of stopping and holding on. So far my key is to set into my right side and not jump out of it (aka hump the goat) and getting a better feel for Monte's zipper away thought with this swing than I did with my inside move.

This is Mike demonstrating the feel, her actual swing as seen a couple minutes later in the video isn't nearly this steep. Sorry if I am misunderstanding your intention of showing this screen shot but I didn't want people to be under the impression that this is her swing.

[quote name='Gamble Gamble' timestamp='1444148684' post='12418064']
[quote name='chigolfer1' timestamp='1444129057' post='12416722']This is a feel, the intent is not to actually drop it steep. In the videos he shows that and demonstrates a perfectly on plane downswing being the result of this feel. However, I can see steepening happening if someone over exaggerates it.

This isn't just meant for you Gamble and you may already understand this, but I don't think I've ever seen so much confusion over an exaggeration feel concept. Either MM has to be more explicit in his videos or we're just not watching closely enough what he says in them. [/quote]

I agree it may not be for me, but before moving on, I wanted to give it a shot since it seems to help a few people. Many "exaggerated feel" drills are either misused or misunderstood. That is why we have a forum here to go over these questions.

Others probably have questions as well, but do not want to deal with the Fundamentalist WRXers that get personally offended when people ask questions about their instructor.

If you watch Ramos start her DS she looks exceptionally steep which could lead one to think it could lead to EE.

[attachment=2982540:ImageUploadedByGolfWRX Mobile1444148204.972843.jpg]
[/quote]

Would the backwing thought of keeping the clubhead outside the hands on the way back set you up well for Mike's theory of "handle down, clubhead out" on the downswing? Unless Mike has recommended a backswing thought that matches his theory better and I didn't catch it.

Graeme McDowell uses this backswing thought which is explained in this article and it makes sense to pair these two thoughts together.

http://www.golfdigest.com/story/graeme-mcdowell-drills

There has been a lot of confusion about the feel of standing the club up and the actual swing. What I took from watching the videos was "the hands work down and the club goes out".

I flipped and lead with the right elbow but diagonally towards the ball which just shallowed the club more. Thinking of the trail elbow to the pocket has vastly improved things.

As to the debate about whether it would help someone OTT I play with one of them. My observation is that his lead shoulder moves back on a flat turn and his hands go out. I think this would help rather than make the issue worse.

All comments are made from the point of
view of my learning and not a claim
to expertise.

[quote name='chigolfer1' timestamp='1444150634' post='12418258']This is Mike demonstrating the feel, her actual swing as seen a couple minutes later in the video isn't nearly this steep. Sorry if I am misunderstanding your intention of showing this screen shot but I didn't want people to be under the impression that this is her swing.

[quote name='chigolfer1' timestamp='1444129057' post='12416722']This is a feel, the intent is not to actually drop it steep. In the videos he shows that and demonstrates a perfectly on plane downswing being the result of this feel. However, I can see steepening happening if someone over exaggerates it.

This isn't just meant for you Gamble and you may already understand this, but I don't think I've ever seen so much confusion over an exaggeration feel concept. Either MM has to be more explicit in his videos or we're just not watching closely enough what he says in them. [/quote]

I agree it may not be for me, but before moving on, I wanted to give it a shot since it seems to help a few people. Many "exaggerated feel" drills are either misused or misunderstood. That is why we have a forum here to go over these questions.

Others probably have questions as well, but do not want to deal with the Fundamentalist WRXers that get personally offended when people ask questions about their instructor.

If you watch Ramos start her DS she looks exceptionally steep which could lead one to think it could lead to EE.

[/quote][/quote]

So the correct feel is not so much steepening as it is to feel like the club does not shallow too much and go under plane?

(Edited to be clearer)

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1580770-recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3m4-driver-fitting/"][size=2]M3 Taylormade Experience[/size][/url]

What I got from the videos is that the "feel" is hands down/in club head out. When he demonstrates this feel, it has the effect of showing a steepening shaft but I don't think that is his point at all but merely a byproduct, if you will, of the feel. Also, I think we are getting confused because this steepening shaft is at the right turn, not in the early part of the downswing even though in the demonstration it starts a little early leading to those screen shots with a severely steep shaft.

Even after writing the above, I'm not sure exactly what I'm trying to say ;-) but my guess is if you asked MM, he would explain, no this feel is not about steepening the shaft. This is more about how to get to the ball and square the face without dragging the handle and "saving it." That's what all the tennis racket/steering wheel/split grip stuff is about.

Does anyone work with Mike? If so, maybe they can let him know his little video has turned into an epic Golfwrx thread and some clarification is needed.

[quote name='Gamble Gamble' timestamp='1444152691' post='12418422']
[quote name='chigolfer1' timestamp='1444150634' post='12418258']This is Mike demonstrating the feel, her actual swing as seen a couple minutes later in the video isn't nearly this steep. Sorry if I am misunderstanding your intention of showing this screen shot but I didn't want people to be under the impression that this is her swing.

[/quote][/quote]

So the correct feel is not so much steepening as it is to not feel like the club shallows and goes under plane?
[/quote]

[quote name='Gamble Gamble' timestamp='1444149188' post='12418106']
[quote name='Golfbeat' timestamp='1444132390' post='12416846'][quote name='Gamble Gamble' timestamp='1444102141' post='12416164']
Anyone else feel like they are starting to EE from steepening the shaft? Maybe the correct intent is to just not let the club fall back rather than drop it steep?
[/quote]

I think that EE is caused by the right shoulder and the hips moving forward. If you keep the chest up and the hips back and right shoulder back and up, the shaft can be steep coming down. The club will be in front of your body under your shoulders and you will not be over the top.

Let the club fall back and you will get stuck for sure.[/quote]

I think there must be a middle ground between the club falling back and too steep and that is where I am exaggerating the drill too much. Or more likely it could be that I am on plane but I need another feel to get my arms moving fast.

I keep bouncing between firing the right wrist and trying to keep my back to the target with some success but like anyone here we are all searching for the "holy grail" feel. That is why I wanted this to work but [b]I do not want my EE from steepening the shaft to come back.[/b]
[/quote]
Is your EE the result of steepening the shaft, or a steep shaft the result of EE?

[quote name='CrabDaddy' timestamp='1444153418' post='12418504']
[quote name='Gamble Gamble' timestamp='1444149188' post='12418106']
[quote name='Golfbeat' timestamp='1444132390' post='12416846'][quote name='Gamble Gamble' timestamp='1444102141' post='12416164']
Anyone else feel like they are starting to EE from steepening the shaft? Maybe the correct intent is to just not let the club fall back rather than drop it steep?
[/quote]

I think that EE is caused by the right shoulder and the hips moving forward. If you keep the chest up and the hips back and right shoulder back and up, the shaft can be steep coming down. The club will be in front of your body under your shoulders and you will not be over the top.

Let the club fall back and you will get stuck for sure.[/quote]

I think there must be a middle ground between the club falling back and too steep and that is where I am exaggerating the drill too much. Or more likely it could be that I am on plane but I need another feel to get my arms moving fast.

I keep bouncing between firing the right wrist and trying to keep my back to the target with some success but like anyone here we are all searching for the "holy grail" feel. That is why I wanted this to work but [b]I do not want my EE from steepening the shaft to come back.[/b]
[/quote]
Is your EE the result of steepening the shaft, or a steep shaft the result of EE?
[/quote]

For me it is the EE happens due to a steep shaft. I have dealt with this since I started swinging a club. If I get too vertical or create a steep shaft via ringing the bell, dragging the handle, etc. I end up firing my hips at the ball to get the clubhead out to the ball

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1580770-recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3m4-driver-fitting/"][size=2]M3 Taylormade Experience[/size][/url]

I've been following this topic since the beginning and doing the drills for the last couple of weeks. I've gone from a 'aim left side, push fade' for driver to a pretty consistent draw w/ a gain of about 20 yards. Played in a 'shamble' and going 'all out' drove it places on my home course I haven't seen before unless I was walking after my hitting my second shot (yes, they were in the fairway, ha ha). Irons are still getting better, too. I'm playing the best I've played in at least 5 years now.

Different, yet similarly well respected instructor . . . similar message, but slightly different presentation. Martin focuses on keeping trail elbow above lead elbow, which occurs in Malask's 'steering wheel.'

In either case, the message isn't suited for everyone, which seems to get lost among the masses searching in the dirt. Know YOUR swing recipe, avoiding inappropriate mixing of fruits and vegetables.

http://www.revolutiongolf.com/instruction/video-collections/experts/experts/martin-chuck/videos/manage-the-elbows-for-better-strikes

I have seen what Malaska is showing in bits and pieces here and there, but he is the first to present it in a cohesive way that seemed to work.

I have started to think about what happens through the ball differently and what it really means to be on plane or attack from the inside and it seems to be working. I have gained about 10% on my iron shots with it and increased my consistency tremendously.

[quote name='verderraul' timestamp='1444064449' post='12413004']
[quote name='ej002' timestamp='1444063634' post='12412920']
[quote name='verderraul' timestamp='1444063276' post='12412892']
[quote name='Ghost of Snead' timestamp='1444060938' post='12412672']
[quote name='verderraul' timestamp='1444060848' post='12412660']
I used to be stuck and now i am not. Its funny that you ask me to provide the proof :)
[/quote]

Not funny at all considering you've been looking for before and after videos and are skeptical of Malaska's feel.

Oh, and better yet ... help all us out by letting us know how you got "unstuck".
[/quote]

Most changes were made in backswing.....hands in and club out in takeaway. Stand up the shaft more vertically in backswing. Then hands work more out (NOT down as MM suggests in that video) in downswing. Took me about 2 months of work to own it with an 7 iron....probably 6 months total to do it all thru the bag.
[/quote]

That's a scary P6.5 position - reminds me of John F Erickson. Super cF. You probably steepen like a boss if you hit it remotely straight or hit 30 yard Jim Venetos hooks.
[/quote]

naah....always a fader. Shallow divots with longer clubs.

I hope you are talking abt the one on left :) I was digging trenches with that one .
[/quote]

Yes I was - and meant to say 5.5.

[quote name='verderraul' timestamp='1444064449' post='12413004']
[quote name='ej002' timestamp='1444063634' post='12412920']
[quote name='verderraul' timestamp='1444063276' post='12412892']
[quote name='Ghost of Snead' timestamp='1444060938' post='12412672']
[quote name='verderraul' timestamp='1444060848' post='12412660']
I used to be stuck and now i am not. Its funny that you ask me to provide the proof :)
[/quote]

Not funny at all considering you've been looking for before and after videos and are skeptical of Malaska's feel.

Oh, and better yet ... help all us out by letting us know how you got "unstuck".
[/quote]

Most changes were made in backswing.....hands in and club out in takeaway. Stand up the shaft more vertically in backswing. Then hands work more out (NOT down as MM suggests in that video) in downswing. Took me about 2 months of work to own it with an 7 iron....probably 6 months total to do it all thru the bag.
[/quote]

That's a scary P6.5 position - reminds me of John F Erickson. Super cF. You probably steepen like a boss if you hit it remotely straight or hit 30 yard Jim Venetos hooks.
[/quote]

naah....always a fader. Shallow divots with longer clubs.

I hope you are talking abt the one on left :) I was digging trenches with that one .
[/quote]

Yes I was - and meant to say 5.5.

[quote name='Golfbeat' timestamp='1444149198' post='12418110']
Mike specifically talks about moving the hips/pelvis back in the downswing so to avoid EE. It is a conscious move.
[/quote]

I've not just taken this drill in isolation, I've worked on everything Mike talks about. Hands down and not going towards ball, hands getting back to address, club face control stuff (holding a club head in your hand), keeping the hips out of the way of the hands getting back to address, 'neutral' grip strength for my physiology. etc.

If you already do all of that and still get stuck then I guess the drill alone would be the ticket.

Irons - Titleist 620MB/CB - Nippon Modus 125S

Wedges - Mizuno T22 Raw 51*/08* S Grind, 55*/09* D Grind 59*/09* C Grind - Modus 125 Wedge

Hybrid - Ping G425 4h lofted all the way down - Tour AD DI 75 Stiff

Fairway - Ping G425 max 5w - Mitsubishi blue 70 stiff

Driver - Ping G25

Putter - Odyssey #7

I have been trying to take this in with small incremenets, and have been primarily focusing on rotating my left arm through the downswing and through impact. It definitely has helped me gain more solid contact. I am chunking it a lot less than I usually do. I have always had issues with a chicken wing, and I think consciously rotating my left arm has greatly helped this.

Played a round yesterday with this thought and had the best day with irons and wedges ive ever had. I also use this thought with my wedges to a lesser degree, and it has greatly helped with a more consistent contact. I think I need to adjust the feel a bit for my driver and fairways as they tended to overdraw/ hook. I am happy with this new feeling overall, but I just need to tweak it a bit for my woods it seems.

Callaway Epic Max LS 9 degrees - Ventus Blue 5S
Sim Max 3HL 16.5 - Ventus Red 6S

Callaway Apex UW @21 - Ventus Red 7s
Titleist TS2 4H @23 - Ventus blue 8s
Mizuno Pro 225 5-G- Nippon 950GH
Titleist SM8 54, 60
Bettinardi Queen Bee 6 - Stability Shaft

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 - Stability Tour

[quote name='epyon' timestamp='1444227361' post='12422204']
I have been trying to take this in with small incremenets, and have been primarily focusing on rotating my left arm through the downswing and through impact. It definitely has helped me gain more solid contact. I am chunking it a lot less than I usually do. I have always had issues with a chicken wing, and I think consciously rotating my left arm has greatly helped this.

Played a round yesterday with this thought and had the best day with irons and wedges ive ever had. I also use this thought with my wedges to a lesser degree, and it has greatly helped with a more consistent contact. I think I need to adjust the feel a bit for my driver and fairways as they tended to overdraw/ hook. I am happy with this new feeling overall, but I just need to tweak it a bit for my woods it seems.
[/quote]

I was really struggling with my wedges this year, and using this feel has really turned them around. Much better ball flight and distance control. If you are hooking with your woods, it could be that you are turning the toe down a little too early. Remember you want to "lead with the heel." Finding the right balance of rotating the left arm down but not turning the toe over too soon has been a key for me. I was definitely hitting some drives left initially. Good luck!

Followed this topic with great interest, since I'm the classic 'stuck' guy, missing with big pushes and hooks. I do the 'goat hump', drag the handle, backswing too long and crosses the line at the top. Ugh.

I'm embarrassed to say I'm devotee of Dan Carraher and Slicefixer, although I've never taken a lesson from either of them. They would prolly cringe that my 'spinny' swing is anything similar to what they teach.

When my timing is good, I can play well, but more often than not, my swing can change on a dime and I can't find my way back to the fairway if my life depended on it.

Tried this drill off and on for the last month or so with mixed results. My keys are to stand the shaft vertical on backswing, try to pull arms down by rear leg pocket to begin downswing, let the arms outrace the hips (Tiger's mental note).

Pros-
- Definitely less curvature in ball flight
- Hit the ball higher than my usual, ball lands softly with irons
- Good shots are dead straight at intended target, misses are playable, 5yd push or pull.
- Feels effortless.

Cons-
- divots much deeper than my usual, AOA seems very steep
- inconsistent contact, a lot more fat shots (3 good shots out of 10)
- distance is 1 to 1.5 clubs shorter
- ball flight more 'floaty' rather than piercing as I had before
- drill seems to work well with pitch shots and 3/4 wedge shots but not full shots

Glad to see many of you are having great results... very encouraging. But my tendency for the past 20 yrs is to fire hard with my hip at the start of the downswing, so to get my arms ahead/in front is quite a big change. I'd like to try the tip from OP a bit longer, but in the end, I suspect my swing may not benefit from this drill b/c my swing DNA is to fire the hips hard.

I've tried for many months to incorporate the Dan Carraher and Slicefixer drill to stop my backswing as soon as my hips and shoulders stop, but for some reason, I can't seem to do it. Was hoping this drill could remedy my 'run-on arms.' Must admit, I'm much more comfortable firing hips to start downswing than dropping arms.

Keep on posting your results. I'm hoping one of you will give me the swing thought that may help me.

Cheers.

Have you tried the speeding up the arms concept vs. slowing down the hips? You might also want to try the Monte/Brendan videos since Brendan's issue was also getting the hips out too fast. Monte had him put a ball between his legs in one of them.

[quote name='oliversax' timestamp='1444231354' post='12422538']
Followed this topic with great interest, since I'm the classic 'stuck' guy, missing with big pushes and hooks. I do the 'goat hump', drag the handle, backswing too long and crosses the line at the top. Ugh.

I'm embarrassed to say I'm devotee of Dan Carraher and Slicefixer, although I've never taken a lesson from either of them. They would prolly cringe that my 'spinny' swing is anything similar to what they teach.

When my timing is good, I can play well, but more often than not, my swing can change on a dime and I can't find my way back to the fairway if my life depended on it.

Tried this drill off and on for the last month or so with mixed results. My keys are to stand the shaft vertical on backswing, try to pull arms down by rear leg pocket to begin downswing, let the arms outrace the hips (Tiger's mental note).

Pros-
- Good shots are dead straight at intended target, misses are playable, 5yd push or pull.
- Feels effortless.

Cons-
- drill seems to work well with pitch shots and 3/4 wedge shots but not full shots

Glad to see many of you are having great results... very encouraging. But my tendency for the past 20 yrs is to fire hard with my hip at the start of the downswing, so to get my arms ahead/in front is quite a big change. I'd like to try the tip from OP a bit longer, but in the end, I suspect my swing may not benefit from this drill b/c my swing DNA is to fire the hips hard.

I've tried for many months to incorporate the Dan Carraher and Slicefixer drill to stop my backswing as soon as my hips and shoulders stop, but for some reason, I can't seem to do it. Was hoping this drill could remedy my 'run-on arms.' Must admit, I'm much more comfortable firing hips to start downswing than dropping arms.

Keep on posting your results. I'm hoping one of you will give me the swing thought that may help me.

Cheers.
[/quote]

[quote name='oliversax' timestamp='1444231354' post='12422538']

[/quote]

I am a bit confused. If you are setting up in a Reverse K, how are you firing your hips so aggressively? Perhaps you need to revisit this aspect of the swing and things will all start fitting together. Once you get a good grip and set up, some of these issues should alleviate themselves and they are rather simple things to address on your own.

[quote name='oliversax' timestamp='1444231354' post='12422538']Followed this topic with great interest, since I'm the classic 'stuck' guy, missing with big pushes and hooks. I do the 'goat hump', drag the handle, backswing too long and crosses the line at the top. Ugh.

Pros-
- Feels effortless.

Cons-

Cheers.[/quote]
Dan and Slicefixer? I'm confused. They are to very different teachers and I have been to both. Neither teach the same thing in my opinion. Dan and Monte very similar. But Dan and slicefixer teach a very different swing especially on the downswing.

Callaway Paradym TD Ventus 6S Black Velocore
TM Sim2 3 wood Tour AD DI 7x
TM Sim 5 wood Ventus Blue Velocore 8x
Mizuno JPX 923 Modus 120x 
Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide
Vokeys SM9 56,60

One ingredient to this (Malaska) intent that allows it to be effective is what EA Tischler would refer to as front anchoring. Stack & Tilt is akin. If you aren't covering the ball, a relatively closed club face would be difficult to manage without some hold-off or steering.

The young man in the video below has a beautiful swing. Watch slo mo starting at about 20 sec mark. Not sure what he would say his intent is, but he executes precisely what Malaska is advocating.

http://youtu.be/tle-LTIN_SQ

Just to add to the discussion, here's a quote I pulled form Schnee's thread on his swing change (page 11 - yes I'm a long way behind in my reading) - I've added the bold font to highlight a couple of things.

[i]"Now from the top of my swing, I feel like the clubhead falls behind me, and the shaft sort of "lays down" toward my heels. [b]Picture a steering wheel straight out in front of you. Turn the wheel to the right[/b]. That's the sensation I get, but with my hands on the club. After feeling like I lay the club down, I simply extend my arms and rotate my upper arms through impact, feeling like I swing the club around my body (this is what is getting rid of the double chicken wing). One of the feels Monte and I worked on was after shallowing, [b]feel like I'm swinging a baseball bat level through impact [/b]and around my body. "[/i]

I find it interesting that the thoughts are so similar, yet most in this thread seem divided on whether or not this could work.

[quote name='FatReed' timestamp='1444275630' post='12426028']
One ingredient to this (Malaska) intent that allows it to be effective is what EA Tischler would refer to as front anchoring. Stack & Tilt is akin. If you aren't covering the ball, a relatively closed club face would be difficult to manage without some hold-off or steering.

The young man in the video below has a beautiful swing. Watch slo mo starting at about 20 sec mark. Not sure what he would say his intent is, but he executes precisely what Malaska is advocating.

[media=]http://youtu.be/tle-LTIN_SQ[/media]
[/quote]

Hey, that's me! Funny. I certainly didn't expect to see that when I scrolled down! Thanks very much for the compliment on my swing, by the way.

That was about 2 years ago but I can still remember exactly what I was working on and what my intent was. I have a really hard time with ER...always have...still do. So I spent a few weeks on that drill where I was trying to just straighten my right arm and maintain right shoulder ER the whole way (DDahlquist gave me that drill, BTW). For the swing, I was eliminating as much of the BS as possible so I could really feel the shoulder rotation and then get my left knee moving toward the target. I think that the right arm straightening is what looks so much like the MM drill. For me though...truth is...my hands and right shoulder go too down and not enough out so his drill kinda scares me a bit. I actually did a comparison of the 2 side by side last weekend - the first using a feel Monte gave me (trying to hit the ball 9 inches forward of my left foot), and then MM's feel.

P.S. Being 2 years ago, I was definitely a young man at only 46! :)

[quote name='johnrobison' timestamp='1444276951' post='12426144']
[quote name='FatReed' timestamp='1444275630' post='12426028']

[media=]http://youtu.be/tle-LTIN_SQ[/media]
[/quote]

Hey, that's me! Funny. I certainly didn't expect to see that when I scrolled down! Thanks very much for the compliment on my swing, by the way.

That was about 2 years ago but I can still remember exactly what I was working on and what my intent was. I have a really hard time with ER...always have...still do. So I spent a few weeks on that drill where I was trying to just straighten my right arm and maintain right shoulder ER the whole way (DDahlquist gave me that drill, BTW). For the swing, I was eliminating as much of the BS as possible so I could really feel the shoulder rotation and then get my left knee moving toward the target. I think that the right arm straightening is what looks so much like the MM drill. For me though...truth is...my hands and right shoulder go too down and not enough out so his drill kinda scares me a bit. I actually did a comparison of the 2 side by side last weekend - the first using a feel Monte gave me (trying to hit the ball 9 inches forward of my left foot), and then MM's feel.

P.S. Being 2 years ago, I was definitely a young man at only 46! :)
[/quote]

Your swing ingredients match the recipe. Wonderful swing, even two years ago. As I suspected, you are front anchored, as D Dahlquist promotes, which matches your other swing components . . . including the topic of this thread. Good stuff!

[quote name='FatReed' timestamp='1444277408' post='12426174']
Your swing ingredients match the recipe. Wonderful swing, even two years ago. As I suspected, you are front anchored, as D Dahlquist promotes, which matches your other swing components . . . including the topic of this thread. Good stuff!
[/quote]
Thank you! I sincerely appreciate that!

You missed the whole second part of Schnee's swing thought though. After shallowing, turn through like a baseball swing which would definitely turn the wheel left.

I have rewatched several of his videos and I still think that for the most part, he's directing this to people who get the club way behind them and flat and stuck. This feel is meant to offset it and the result is a perfect on plane swing. For the start of the DS, if you are chronic steep and OTT, I just don't think it applies, at least not for the first part of the DS. I would sure like to see a lesson from Mike with an OTT player because in all of his examples, the player has the same club stuck behind "good player" issue.

[quote name='FatReed' timestamp='1444276969' post='12426148']
Problem is Schnee is describing the exact opposite intent; turning steering wheel RIGHT, whereas Malaska describes turning it LEFT.

Hence, the 'divide' you describe is different golfers with different swings that entail different intents.
[/quote]